Author Topic: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!  (Read 17621 times)

TabbyCat

• Stubble
Re: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Got two fruit cordials started on their 'brewing' yesterday.  Starting to run low on our supply of cheap vodka.

Would you mind sharing the recipe/directions used? Will they be stored in the freezer, or did you find a good shelf-safe one? I really want to try this but all the directions I've found say to store in the fridge for a few weeks or the freezer for 6 months, which is tricky for a gift and for not having any freezer space. I'm guessing "don't get sued" is a factor in saying it needs to be in the fridge/freezer but I'm still hesitant to go out on a limb.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
I'm in!

Although, it feels a bit like cheating, since previous years I have just given charity donations in a card to really drive home the idea that I would like them to give me the same, if they have to give me anything.

SO's mother is getting spruce shoot syrup. That stuff is liquid gold. We only have the one bottle, because I was living with a friend during the shoot season and left most of the bottles with her as a thank you gift, but next year we'll make loads more. I did not understand syrup on pancakes until we made this. Amazing.

Another frugal friend is planning on hosting a truffle-making evening before the season hits, and we also have some baking planned. Plus I am sending out one of those mails about "I'd rather not get anything, but if you feel like you have to get me something, please do something homemade, don't spend a minute in malls on my behalf."

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »
Thanks, Drole!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
I have made a small amount of progress on this. We had a tree come down on our house (thankfully no damage and we got the power company to take it off the roof for free), but I used it to my advantage. I picked out several appropriately sized branches and had my husband show me how to use his table saw. I now have 60 neat looking wooden disks drying in my dehydrator. I'm going to paint them as Christmas ornaments to give as gifts!

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
I have ordered flannel fabric to make flannel pyama pants for ourselves and the friend who's visiting. We always spend Christmas lying on the sofa and watching Netflix, so this seemed like the perfect gift. Last year we were so immersed in a movie we forgot to go to church .... but this year we'll do gifts and traditionally we wait with the gift giving until after church on Christmas Eve, so I'm sure we won't forget to go.

We don't normally give gifts at Christmas, but this year we will. The visiting friend is an extremely generous person who always helps us out without wanting anything in return. She's managing on a very low income. We want to put a pile of gifts for her under the Christmas tree to spoil her. We are still staying mustachian: we won't give random expensive stuff, but mostly homemade, frugal things that I know she'll appreciate. We have a lot more money so we could shower her with luxury things from the shop but we'd all feel awkward.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Seville Oranges are in season here.  We were gifted a couple of kilos so made a double recipe of Seville Marmalade.  15 jars of assorted sizes, total cost $6. We'll use these as gifts throughout the year and at Christmas for English grandad who loves it.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
So, I need to make:

18 cards
5 boxes chocolate bark
2 'home sweet home' cross-stitch patterns, framed
3 big bottles coffee liqueur
8 batches cookies (for DH and I to take to work)

That should take care of my Christmas gifts, aside from whatever I get for DH! I think I'll start gathering the materials (bottles, paper for labels) now and start on the cross-stitch this coming weekend!

lexde

• Bristles
Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #208 on: Today at 09:23:23 AM »
I'm thinking about making foam-core mounted photographs for some people. Yesterday I made a DIY thread about homemade Mixtiles and went out, got everything I needed, and made 3 of them yesterday of the 16 prints I made. I'll make more tonight. I think making a set of 3-4 for each person would be a nice and thoughtful gift. I'd just have to find good photos to use for them. Is something personal like that not a good gift idea? I was thinking it was easy for people with kids and pets but maybe home decorations are too personal to gift.

They cost about $3.50/ea to make.