Author Topic: Homemade Christmas 2016  (Read 39173 times)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Re: Homemade Christmas 2016
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2016, 05:37:05 AM »
The afghan is gorgeous and will be well received, I'm sure.

Love the play food too.  I'd like to do something like this for my niece, but they live in a shoebox so I can only gift consumables with them.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
Not sure if this counts, but it might be the only Christmas present I receive.  A present to myself!  I was decided to skip a batting and back it in fleece instead.  I also machine pieced/quilted it so it would be finished quickly, but hand stitched the front of the binding (it was six nights, start to finish.  And, because I get curious, I record the time spent working on it-- 24 hours 45 minutes from start to finish.)

My Grinch quilt:

Stockings I made for DS and myself with the extra fabric:

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:50 AM »
Mustachepungoeshere - I love the felt sandwich.  I just may have to steal that idea for next Christmas for our grandson.  Thanks for posting the photos.  (I really like the afghan too).

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
The only thing I'm making is lavender sachets, but also thinking about some cinnamon/clove sachets too. I like the idea of the potholders with scents in them. Maybe next time.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
Progress is being made.

Finished the popcorn seasonings: Sour cream and onion, Ranch, BBQ, Sriracha - Hubs is working on making fancy labels for them.

Made "Old Bay" seasoning and Black garlic Truffle salt for my mom

Several different types of chutney ready to go

Lego, Deathstar, and D-20 Candles

Printed photo books for both sets of parents are designed and ordered.

I just have to figure out how the packaging of everything is going to work. <--- not my strength!

So enjoying seeing everyone's creations! :D

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
I think I'm done with the homemade gifts, with the exception of some cookies and caramel corn, which will be made closer to Christmas. Oh, and homemade dog biscuits.

I made fleece blankets for my husband and his dad, patchwork potholders for my MIL and best friend, a bracelet for the best friend, lotion bars for important women in my life such as my pastor and next-door neighbor, a game for my husband, knitted fingerless gloves for two women on my list and my husband. We're giving books to my MIL and FIL, so I made bookmarks for them and one for my husband as well. I also made jams to give to neighbors, the mail man and a few other folks. I still have to wrap everything, but I'm using stuff leftover from previous years, and I made some cute gift tags with stuff I had.

We also bought a few gifts, and supplies to make gifts, but the grand total (including Christmas cards and the permit to cut our tree) came to just under $260, so I'm pretty happy.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »

Awesome! I'm curious, what do you do with the yarn ends when you switch colors? Do you just snip them off and weave them in, or somehow leave the ends attached and then pick them up later?

Thanks.  This pattern was horrible for the number of ends that had to be woven in .  I do not recommend it.  There were very few places where it was possible to carry the yarn until it was needed again, so it was a lot of cutting and weaving. 

It also turns out I've learned a lot about weaving in ends over the last 9+ years.  My original work was embarrassing, but I didn't leave enough tails to go back and fix it.  I just hope it all stays together for a while.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »
Mustachepungoeshere - I love the felt sandwich.  I just may have to steal that idea for next Christmas for our grandson.  Thanks for posting the photos.  (I really like the afghan too).
Thanks!  I meant to post the link to the sandwich pattern.  It's here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2016, 01:11:34 PM »

That was Cherry Lane's craftiness, I was just quoting to reply. ;)

Full credit goes to her.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

Sorry Cherry Lane - full credit to you.  Seems I got lost in the quotes. : D

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »

Sorry Cherry Lane - full credit to you.  Seems I got lost in the quotes. : D
That's easy to do.  No worries.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
My toddler has a recent obsession with a book in which a princess receives a cloak for Christmas (and it is "soft and red and Christmassy"), and has informed me repeatedly that she would like and cloak to wrap up in "so that I will be warm, mama!"

Ok, child. Message received.

2 layers of thick lush flannel, just for you.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »
My toddler has a recent obsession with a book in which a princess receives a cloak for Christmas (and it is "soft and red and Christmassy"), and has informed me repeatedly that she would like and cloak to wrap up in "so that I will be warm, mama!"

That looks "soft and red and Christmassy".  Nice work!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:52 AM »
Well, this kid refuses to wear a robe... and the house is chilly until the fire gets going in the morning! So if she'll wear a cloak and feel fancy and be warm, I will be happy. :)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »

SOO cute! I can totally see a little kid loving a cloak. My kids just do the old school of wrapping themselves in a polartec throw when sitting at the cold morning kitchen table. My oldest though one year insisted on some Halloween costume that had a cloak. She still keeps the cloak in her wardrobe.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2016, 10:32:12 AM »
Gosh, I love toddlers!

Nice work on the cloak.  It's beautiful. I wish I could sew. Maybe by the time I have grandchildren I will have learned and I can make adorable things for them. I kind of missed the boat on that for my own kids.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »

I love this. She will be so happy!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »
Has anyone made lemon curd / lemon butter before? Am I right in my understanding that it needs to be kept in the fridge? And how long will it stay good?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
Has anyone made lemon curd / lemon butter before? Am I right in my understanding that it needs to be kept in the fridge? And how long will it stay good?

I made it once, but then used it right away.  Sorry I'm no help when it comes to storage experience.  I'd definitely keep it in the fridge.  I'd expect if you always serve it with a clean utensil it should keep for a few weeks, at least.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »
I've made microwave lemon curd twice in the past month.  First recipe was with used whole eggs which was pretty good, but not quite what I was looking for.  Second time, I used a recipe that used 3 eggs and 2 extra egg yolks.  Which was more what I was looking for.  I found it again by looking for "microwaved lemon curd" and choosing the Masterchef Australia recipe.   I don't know how long it could be stored for.   I had some a week after I made it and I didn't die.  ;)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
WHOOT WHOOT! We are done!!!

Record bowl gift baskets for the immediate family and gift bags with a candle and one popcorn seasoning for the extended family.
 We found some shrinky dink paper in our craft bin and turned our T-rexmas cards from last year into the cutest little tags/ornaments.

Crappy pics, but you'll get the gist of what we did :) 

How is everyone else doing?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
I think my crafting is done!  With almost a week to spare, I'm proud of myself.  There's been more than one year I've been crocheting on the way to Christmas dinner.

I made two pairs of mittens, nearly identical.  One for my crochet group's annual gift exchange that was yesterday, the other as a gift for my mother.  She's been having trouble with tremors, and is finding it difficult to put on gloves (can't get her fingers into the proper slots).  I'd suggested mittens, but she laughed me off.  I figure if I gift her handmade mittens, she'll at least have to try them.  I have some similar ones I made for myself 5 years ago, and they are my go-to handwear.

I finished the felt board book for my niece, with a few felt pieces to play with.  The book instructions are here.

I still need to scrounge up a few more bottles for my various infusions.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Homemade Christmas 2016
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »

I live in Florida and have lemons growing outside my window, so I make this a lot:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemon-curd-104568

I keep it in the fridge. Wonderful on graham crackers! It lasts a week, at least.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:39:41 PM by pbkmaine »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »
Thanks pbk and everyone else who's chimed in on the lemon curd. If I'm giving it to people I want it to last more than a week, but maybe they'll finish it before then anyway ;-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »
My preferred recipe for cinnamon almonds!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2016, 10:31:53 PM »
Neighbour cane round with leftover cake for us today and told us our annual fruit cake will be over shortly. But I still haven't made her marmalade, aaaarg! All hands on deck. She likes ginger biscuits so that's plan b if the marmalade is awful.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »
Haha. OK - this is the recipe I used:

http://damndelicious.net/?s=candied+nuts&submit=%EF%80%82

If you want a little less of a crust, decrease the sugar/cinnamon a bit I think, or increase the amount of almonds.  I did not use pecans, just the almonds.
I also cooked them a little longer than the recipe recommends - about 45 minutes instead of 30.  YMMV, depending on your oven.

I made a batch of these (just almonds) last night to give to coworkers, and they were easy as heck to make and turned out delicious! Thanks for sharing the link!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
Wow Swick very impressive!!  (how can I get on your Christmas list?  ;-)

And Kitsune I love that little cape for your daughter.  Very beautiful!

So not that I leave anything to the very last second but help!
I noticed recipes for candied almonds on this thread but does anyone have recipes for spiced nuts?
People I know don't eat sugar (at all) so was hoping for savoury, not sweet.
Thanks!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

I noticed recipes for candied almonds on this thread but does anyone have recipes for spiced nuts?
Thanks!

Thanks! :) (Full disclosure: we're still painting the dollhouse we made for her. Here's hoping it gets done before weekend!)

And for spiced nuts: you asked, and you shall recieve. Here's the recipe I've used! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/spiced-rosemary-nuts.html

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »

Thanks!

Thanks! :) (Full disclosure: we're still painting the dollhouse we made for her. Here's hoping it gets done before weekend!)

And for spiced nuts: you asked, and you shall recieve. Here's the recipe I've used! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/spiced-rosemary-nuts.html

Have you made these? Do you think you need all the sugar/ do they taste really sweet? I'm going to the supermarket today and I might get some peanuts!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
This should be the last photo from me:  the consumables

plum butter and conserve made in July, applesauce, vanilla, limoncello (already gifted one bottle), umeshu (plum liqueur, more bottles not pictured), and aged eggnog

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »

Thanks!

Have you made these? Do you think you need all the sugar/ do they taste really sweet? I'm going to the supermarket today and I might get some peanuts!

I didn't find they tasted particularly sweet... I mean, you could probably leave it out? But the minor amounts of salt/sugar seemed to make the spices stand out better.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
I made an afghan for our house and everyone loved it so much that they wanted one. So I have 7 to make. Not all will be done by xmas. Actually I could have bought them cheaper but I thought it would be nice that the kids would have this to remember me when I am gone.  Hopefully, they last for many years since I don't plan on leaving anytime soon:))  I have one that my Mom made 30 years ago.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »

Thanks!

Thank you so much Kitsune!  That recipe sounds really good.  Now the hunt begins for fresh rosemary. 
I'd love to see pictures of the finished dollhouse.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »
I like the salty/ combo so will defo make some, sounds good.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2016, 07:31:45 PM »

Looks amazing kitsune!!  Well done :)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
This should be the last photo from me:  the consumables

plum butter and conserve made in July, applesauce, vanilla, limoncello (already gifted one bottle), umeshu (plum liqueur, more bottles not pictured), and aged eggnog

You have the same mini jam jars as me I think - cute!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
3pm, December 23rd: have just spent an hour taking apart and re-assembling my sewing machine to make the thread stop f-ing snapping every 12 inches. Solution found!!

Also, 6 toddler headbands finished (reversible, for 2 different kids), 3 toddler necklaces ALMOST finished, and final touch-ups to that dollhouse and we're done.

Let's see if I get around to making my daughter that nightgown before tomorrow night...

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
3pm, December 23rd: have just spent an hour taking apart and re-assembling my sewing machine to make the thread stop f-ing snapping every 12 inches. Solution found!!

Also, 6 toddler headbands finished (reversible, for 2 different kids), 3 toddler necklaces ALMOST finished, and final touch-ups to that dollhouse and we're done.

Let's see if I get around to making my daughter that nightgown before tomorrow night...

Sounds like you found the solution but when that was happening on my machine it was because the needle was put in backwards.  (who knew sewing needles had a front and a back)

Way to go on all the sewing projects!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
I finished a pair of fleece pj pants for my son (and a set for myself).  The fleece I used for his is a similar pattern to the bathrobe I made him, but I also added contrasting pockets (not really visible), and ties.  I wore mine the other night, and they are so warm! 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »
I also made some "Pie Crust Mix" for my dad.  He likes to bake desserts, but buys pre-made crust because he hasn't mastered a good one.  I can't stand the taste of the refrigerated stuff, so I make a bunch of extra mixes when I make a "pat in the pan" pie crust, then gift some to him with the instructions.

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it.  I've never had a failed crust, and I like that I don't have to pull out the rolling pin:

Pat-in-pan Pie Crust

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c plus 3 tbs all-purpose flour

1 1/2 ts sugar

1/2 t salt

1/2 c vegetable oil

3 tb cold milk

Directions:

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom. Flute the edges. Shell is now ready to be filled. If you are preparing a shell to fill later, or your recipe requires a prebaked crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Dock the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake 15 minutes, checking often, and docking more if needed.

VARIATION: For a 10-inch shell, use 2 cups all-purpose flour; 2 teaspoons sugar; 1 teaspoon salt; 2/3 cup vegetable oil; 3 tablespoons milk.

"Quick, crisp but tender, it needs no rolling out. I highly recommend this pie crust, especially if you think you can't make a good pie. This recipe can only be used for one-crust pies - you CAN'T double the recipe and roll out a top crust. The mixture is just too tender to transfer from the pastry board or cloth to the pie." (Marcia Adams) Cooking from Quilt Country

My opinion...  You can make a top pie crust, but it will look messy...  I just take handfuls of crust and pat it out in small pieces, then place on top of the pie.  I'm not going for looks there, and it bakes up just fine.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »

Sounds like you found the solution but when that was happening on my machine it was because the needle was put in backwards.  (who knew sewing needles had a front and a back)

Way to go on all the sewing projects!

It seemed to be a gear that was gunned up with broken thread bits, combined with tension needing a minor adjustment. I also changed the needle, since it had been  while and it wasn't working as smoothly. Anyway - fixed!

Attaching pictures of final homemade presents. The dollhouse is painted - I figure we can put color or wallpaper with her input at a later date. Mostly pleased that it cost less than 10$ to make (yay scrap wood) and is sturdy enough to hold up to toddlers. And flat enough to go against the wall instead of the middle of the room.

And the headbands! Super simple project - reversible, so 6 fabrics x 2 toddlers - and all of them together made in less than an hour. Perfect last-minute project!

And on that note: bed. Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 25, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »
Well Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for all the great inspiration. I gave spiced nuts as per the recipe above, cookies and chai tea mix and they were all well received.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: December 25, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
Looks beautiful, Kitsune! Merry Christmas!

I did the chai mix and peppermint fudge sauce. And I forgot to take pictures, darn it.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: December 25, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
Love seeing everyone's crafts!

Here's mine: a dumpster fire new year's card 😂

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: December 25, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
I too forgot to take photos!

My final list was:
Strawberry jam 
Blackberry jam
Raspberry jam
Cinnamon spiced almonds
Melting moments
Mandarin-scented soap

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Chow Chow, candied nuts (from recipe found here), pickled peppers, blackberry jam, dried strawberries, redbud jelly.

Merry Christmas!

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »
I forgot to take photos, too, though I love seeing everyone else's.

The knotted fleece blankets were a surprise hit. I mean, I hoped that my FIL and DH liked them, but apparently they LOVE them. DH is taking a nap under his now, along with one of the dogs, who has decided this is her blanket! And in conversations with various friends and relatives, it is the first gift he always mentions.

The homemade goodies -- brownies and jams -- were well received. The lotion bars were a hit with the ladies I gifted them to -- I will do more next year for different women. My MIL liked the hot pads and homemade vanilla I gave her, but I think her favorite gift was a bookmark I put together at the last minute to go with a book we gave her -- it says You Fell Asleep Here. It's a family joke that she often falls asleep reading and she got a kick out of it.  I knit some fingerless gloves for a few other women in the family and they were also very well received.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
My son is getting a quilt with the binding half done (he gets off work at 7, and I'll be able to finish it tonight, but I need two more hours, that I don't have...)  I hadn't planned on getting his quilt done before Christmas, so I got it done earlier than expected, rather than later.

Before I learned to sew/quilt this year, I also made and gave many of the knotted fleece blankets (first one I made was for my son, with Buzz Lightyear fleece on the front, and rockets/space fleece on the back.  He still uses it about 15 years later.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
It's a wrap!! :D

How did everyone do with their homemade Christmas gifts? What worked? What didn't? What were some of the comments you got?

What would you do the same or differently for next year? Oh, Next year! Here we go! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2017-edition!/

Our gift baskets went over really well. A lot of the comments revolved around the labels we created, we create them because they are fun for us, but apparently, they are something people really look forward to - so going to have to come up with a good theme and style for next year!

Most comments were divided into "where did you buy this stuff?" from DH's side of the family to "You should be selling this stuff, let's brainstorm all the ways to do that!" from my side of the family.

Many more gifts were handmade this year on both sides of the family so we are started to slowly affect change - which is AWESOME!