Author Topic: Homemade Christmas (and other holidays)- 2018 Edition  (Read 2948 times)

diapasoun

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Homemade Christmas (and other holidays)- 2018 Edition
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Recipes for barks are really easy -- technique is a little more complex, because you have to temper the chocolate if you want a really high quality bark. The basic recipe is:

1. Melt chopped chocolate in double boiler/in glass bowl set over boiling pot of water; add a bit of extract if you're using any to flavor the chocolate (e.g. for peppermint bark I usually use .25 tsp of peppermint extract for a pound of chocolate).
2. Temper chocolate.
3. Spread chocolate on wax paper set on a cookie sheet or other hard, even surface.
4. Sprinkle your add-ins on top.
5. Cool.

Tempering chocolate's not hard, it's just annoying time-consuming. However, it will give your bark that glossy surface and wonderful snap!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
I have decided on scrappy Christmas tree ornaments for everyone in DH's family that we will see for Xmas and they are in progress! I am thinking one ornament per "family unit." I have 5 finished and another 8 cut out and ready to be finished.

Frugal win: I had all of the supplies needed left over from various other sewing projects except for some star buttons I ordered from Etsy to sew to the points.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Recipes for barks are really easy -- technique is a little more complex, because you have to temper the chocolate if you want a really high quality bark. The basic recipe is:

1. Melt chopped chocolate in double boiler/in glass bowl set over boiling pot of water; add a bit of extract if you're using any to flavor the chocolate (e.g. for peppermint bark I usually use .25 tsp of peppermint extract for a pound of chocolate).
2. Temper chocolate.
3. Spread chocolate on wax paper set on a cookie sheet or other hard, even surface.
4. Sprinkle your add-ins on top.
5. Cool.

Tempering chocolate's not hard, it's just annoying time-consuming. However, it will give your bark that glossy surface and wonderful snap!

@diapasoun Thanks! Thatís really helpful!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
Smoking the salt today while I'm at work.  I'll see how 10 hours does (need enough time to let the smoker cool so I can cover it and put it away before I go home).
Since salt is corrosive, and I'll be smoking it for several hours, I put parchment paper over my cookie sheet.
Put a large amount of mesquite pellets in the smoker, then will finish it off with a blend (Pit Boss competition blend, got 40 lb bags cheap last summer).
The first three hours, I spritzing just a little bit of water mist from a sprayer over the salt.  The water should help make the smoke "stick".  Don't want to over spray or you melt the salt.
Stirring every hour.
After the first hour, the top layer already has a nice light brown look to it.  Looks like it's going to work really well!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
I finished the smoked salt and put them in nice 3 oz jars for gifting.  Took some to work as well.

I'm almost halfway done knitting socks for my mom.  She has a ton that she's knitted for herself, and has given away hundreds to others, but she'll like that I made them for her :)

My dad will get pie crust mix again, so I'll dig up a tin and throw some of those together later.

I'm almost done!  Usually I'm a big procrastinator, so it's kind of nice.  All I'll have left is finding something for my son.  I'll have to see if there are any plays coming to the area I can get him tickets for.  He'll get the only non-handmade stuff I'm giving.