Author Topic: Hold yourself openly accountable for your spending in 2019  (Read 4758 times)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hold yourself openly accountable for your spending in 2019
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2019, 06:53:31 AM »
Our biggest monthly budget expense is food related but we don't separate out household supplies from groceries (maybe I should do that in 2020). We routinely outspend whatever I budget to those categories, no matter how much I budget towards them. 

% of monthly budget spent as of Jan 10th
Household supplies/groceries: 62%
Eating out: 10%

The household supplies/groceries includes the monthly bulk shopping at Costco (21%) that last throughout the entire month and (hopefully) all of the groceries needed through next week.  I will travel for work the following week, meaning SO and the kids will eat a bunch of stuff in the pantry that I can't eat due to food restrictions.  On the one hand I am nervous that we have already used 62% of our grocery budget, on the other hand if we don't have to do any additional substantial shopping until the 25th(ish) maybe we might come in UNDER budget.  Quick somebody find me some real wood to knock on!

As far as the eating out goes, I have brought my lunch to work all but 2 days this year and SO (who is extremely guilty of stopping to get a Coke) has been really really good so far.  If we keep this up for a couple months, I would love to lower the monthly budget for this category!

I like the thought of separating out, but I have a feeling most peopleís room for improving is on groceries and not the toiletry type purchases. Weíre only going to skimp so much on shampoo, razors, toilet paper, etc. I like to think those are mostly more fixed, but connected to the grocery budget.

Funny this is mentioned because I have a perfect example today. We aim for our $150/wk ďgroceryĒ budget. I needed more face razors. The standard 4 pack wasnít in stock, so she had to get the 10 pack ($20). In turn, we went over our weekly budget by $10. Sucks, but we know what did it and not the end of the world.

See, I definitely don't agree with that! Look into Dorco razors, and 'lazy' stropping and drying your heads to make them last longer. You can way cut down razor costs, even keeping with disposable heads (vs straight razors). And there's TONS of room in women's hair products especially for modifying cost. Not to even mention makeup sourcing, etc. You can fairly easily get this from $100+/month down to closer to $15/month for all household products. Definitely don't take these costs for granted as being fixed. Anyway, I like to split out 'general household' costs to be monitored in their own right.

Oh yeah and I totally agree with all of this. My wife wears makeup once a week typically at most, and thatís only for our weekend date night, which we are cutting back on this year. Until last year sheíd only ever bought cheap wal mart or drug store makeup. Last year she used some birthday money and asks for nicer makeup as gifts. Since she so rarely wears it, it lasts forever and Iím fine with that.

My Mach 3 razor heads last forever and I always dry them after and donít store them face down. I shave about twice a week and probably get 4-6 weeks out of a razor head. That means that box of razors should last a year pretty easy. This week just had to be the week we needed more. She typically gets 4 packs but 10 is all they had. Iíve tried many different razors and these work best for me (less razor burn, ingrowns, etc). I also shave my arms/chest/stomach in the shower, and we use more of a disposable type razor there.

My wife gets her haircut around once a year, doesnít dye it, and uses run of the mill wal mart shampoo (we use the same cheap stuff)

I definitely see where youíre coming from in that many people can certainly spend a ton on toiletries and beauty products, but I feel our choices are very, very, reasonable. Iím amazed that women can get their nails and toes done almost weekly and $150 hair/dye jobs almost every month. Best thing about my Mexican wife, long pretty black hair and dark features so she still look fine without makeup lol. Iím white and freckles, I envy her skin and lack of sunburn!

Well you are correct that typical household supplies are probably pretty low.  I do not wear makeup, we buy Costco size shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, soap, lotion, toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, etc that last forever and Dollar Shave Club razors.  However, there are 6 of us, so that could still add up and I simply do not know how much of our grocery budget these things take up.  We also don't use paper towels or disposable diapers but I think occasionally the rest of the family would like to lock me in the closet and go buy some paper towels.  I also am not currently able to track the more one off things that end up in the household supplies category, "I picked up some extra kitchen towels today" or "I bought this other type of cleaning supplies because I like the smell better" or "the little kids NEED more bubble bath stuff AGAIN". 

Over the counter medicine usually end up in this category too, those probably should get their own category.

One of my struggles is that I can only occasionally convince SO utilize YNAB and he does most of the shopping.  He will occasionally put his transactions into YNAB but asking him to split them up or tell me how to split them up, I am afraid would create unnecessary tension in the house.   Maybe if I lay the ground work in 2019 I can split these all up in 2020 without too much tension.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2019, 04:59:42 AM »
Spending 2019:
Food: Ä7
Travel card: Ä57
Home repairs: Ä80

Will probably have enough money on my card to last me for the rest of the month. Will do a big food shop today, we are totally out of options now.

Nice job @Imma!

I'm now at
Food: Ä32

Tonight we have a date night :) We rarely do special date nights, but it's our 5-year anniversary today so it's a special day. Turns out we both planned a surprise for the other (I planned to see a movie, he planned dinner) so we will have a long and expensive night doing both. I'm pretty sure we'll stay under Ä100 and we hardly ever do expensive things together, so we don't mind the cost at all.

We were still poor when we got together so we never got into the habit of spending money on expensive activities or gifts, even though we could afford it now.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:44 AM »
Weeelll... I'm going over budget. Not regarding my regular expenses, but my holiday to Iceland in the summer. I had planned to spend 1500 euro all in for this 7 day holiday (per person), but now that I've booked everything, I'm already at 1450 euro! Ack!

Part of this is because I was perhaps a bit too optimistic on prices for the high season. Good luck finding a hotel for less than 150 (75 each). But another part... man, we did pack on the fun. A helicopter tour, whale watching, boat tour on the glacier lake with icebergs. Super fun and I don't really regret booking it... but holy hell, my budget is blown. That stinks. We kept piling on because we kept thinking 'well, we're only there once!'.

Still need to buy gas, food and drinks for the week so I'm guessing the total will go to 2000 per person, so 500 over budget. I did get an unexpected return on my gas bill for 442 euro so most of this will be covered, I'll tighten my budget this month to cover the rest.

Hope I'll remember this lesson in 6 months time and don't think "Oh what the hell" when I'm in full holiday spirit.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2019, 07:32:08 AM »
Weeelll... I'm going over budget. Not regarding my regular expenses, but my holiday to Iceland in the summer. I had planned to spend 1500 euro all in for this 7 day holiday (per person), but now that I've booked everything, I'm already at 1450 euro! Ack!

Part of this is because I was perhaps a bit too optimistic on prices for the high season. Good luck finding a hotel for less than 150 (75 each). But another part... man, we did pack on the fun. A helicopter tour, whale watching, boat tour on the glacier lake with icebergs. Super fun and I don't really regret booking it... but holy hell, my budget is blown. That stinks. We kept piling on because we kept thinking 'well, we're only there once!'.

Still need to buy gas, food and drinks for the week so I'm guessing the total will go to 2000 per person, so 500 over budget. I did get an unexpected return on my gas bill for 442 euro so most of this will be covered, I'll tighten my budget this month to cover the rest.

Hope I'll remember this lesson in 6 months time and don't think "Oh what the hell" when I'm in full holiday spirit.

Check out alternatives, air B&B and camping.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
I had real craving for Taco Bell, and gave in but instead of eating a full meal I just bought one taco to get over it. Not the best solution, but better than I would have done before.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »
Had a close call yesterday near dinnertime, when we were all REALLY wanting to go out to eat, but we resisted and made dinner at home instead.

We don't normally eat out very often, but due to our crazy house construction (doing it all ourselves and living in the house while we're doing it), we have been making do with a temporary 'kitchen' in our basement with a hot plate and microwave for the past three months.  It gets a bit challenging to (a) eat healthy and (b) not eat the same things every day.   

If we make it another month like this (no kitchen) without eating out, that will be badass. 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:24 AM »
Had a close call yesterday near dinnertime, when we were all REALLY wanting to go out to eat, but we resisted and made dinner at home instead.

We don't normally eat out very often, but due to our crazy house construction (doing it all ourselves and living in the house while we're doing it), we have been making do with a temporary 'kitchen' in our basement with a hot plate and microwave for the past three months.  It gets a bit challenging to (a) eat healthy and (b) not eat the same things every day.   

If we make it another month like this (no kitchen) without eating out, that will be badass.

For three months! That is a very long time. I consider it acceptable if you get some form of healthy take-out once in a while and lots of otherwise preproduced foods. I have been it that situation myself, just for 1 month, I think. At that time we also occasionally ate warm-up in the microwave frozen lasagna from the grocery store. There is only so much you can do with a microwave and one stove.
You can always get a bag of mixed and washed salad to accompany a not so nutricious dish. Our store has bags of frozen pasta/rice meals with lot of vegetavles in them. Those seem very health and only require 5 minutes in a wok.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »

Oh we did this last year! Our food spending actually went down that month somehow (maybe we should never have a kitchen as a way to reduce our food costs...) We did a lot of grilled cheese and quesadillas on the George Foreman grill, burgers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - like you said, not the healthiest. We moved our fridge out to the garage which was also stuff storage instead of car storage for a while, but having access to a fridge and grill was greatly helpful. We also had figured out the cheap eat out food in advance and allowed ourselves one per week I think, but it usually provided leftovers. We did eat lunch out a lot more often so leftovers were for dinner the next night instead of lunch, but it's cheaper to eat out for lunch than for dinner.

Good luck with the kitchen!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
Use, we found out the hard way with AT&T that when one of our phones died after we paid them off early we had no recourse.  They said if we hadnít done that we would have gotten a new phone without paying much.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
Use, we found out the hard way with AT&T that when one of our phones died after we paid them off early we had no recourse.  They said if we hadnít done that we would have gotten a new phone without paying much.

Thanks for the info. I can see that and something to keep in mind.

Last night my wife and I went out to dinner at our favorite (not cheap) Mexican place. Their food is amazing and we love their margaritas. The margaritas are expensive at $10/ea, and we often get 2 a piece. Itís easy to tell myself weíll just get 1, but once weíre there and really want another, the first one makes it easy to talk ourselves into a second.

So... while we were getting ready at home, we made margaritas with stuff we already had! We said if we have 1 at home itíll be easier to stick to 1 at dinner. We drank our margaritas at home, got to dinner, and didnít even feel like having any with dinner! Also, we had a $25 gift card we got for Christmas. I also went with the enchiladas ($18) instead of my normal fajitas ($28).

We ended up with a $43 bill (+tip) minus our $25 gift card. There have been many a times where we left there $90-$100 lighter! Even better, we had enough left over for our breakfast this morning.

Peachtea

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »
Slightly under budget half way through the month. Monthly budget to meet 40k goal is $1658 after rent. 50% mark is $829 and weíre at $807.41. Woo!

Groceries & Personal Care: $299.82
Travel: $272 - Train tickets to go home in February and Thanksgiving.
Shopping: $125 - bulk cat food, 6 months of wet food.
Eating & Drinking Out: $67.16 - $10.92 drink w/friend; $56.24 Q1 wine subscription.
Internet, Phone, Electricity: $30 internet.
Other: $13.43 - $6.53 movie rental; $6.90 soda at movie theater.

The holiday train tickets were a big win, itís normally 3x more even when booking months ahead. This time I booked so far in advance I got them less than base fare. Hurray! The quarterly wine subscription is from a small winery we like...did I mention we added some life style creep last year? Yet, Iím very excited for it to arrive, sooo...

The funny thing is weíre only slightly under budget, yet Iíve felt like weíve been really frugal. I think itís because weíve done a lot of free or almost free activities this month. That and Iím furloughed so no coffee outs (feels like Iím spending no money). But the larger purchases have outweighed my lack of coffee apparently. More motivation to spend less the second half of the month!

Peachtea

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:08 PM »
Spending 2019:
Food: Ä7

Will probably have enough money on my card to last me for the rest of the month. Will do a big food shop today, we are totally out of options now.

Nice job @Imma!

I'm now at
Food: Ä32

Tonight we have a date night :) We rarely do special date nights, but it's our 5-year anniversary today so it's a special day.

Super impressive Imma! Especially the food budget. Congrats on your anniversary!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »
Okay. First week up.

Expected/Fixed:
Rent
Electric
Gym membership
Google Music
Food for the dog
Charity
(Debating sharing these costs specifically)

Variable/Elective:
Deposit for vet appointment (new vet since we moved. Pup's baby teeth haven't all fallen out, so we want to get those checked and plan for her getting fixed)- $60 deposit, appointment will be $170, then TBD on procedures
Groceries - $147 so far. We came home from Christmas out of town to an empty fridge. Includes a large haul of produce and some coffee coming tomorrow from Imperfect Produce. Also just replaced a ton of nuts and seeds I ran out of. Those should last a while, but they're spendy all at once.
General household- some plastic lids for mason jars. Been dragging my feet on this for a long time, but we needed more. We store a lot in glass. Also getting a draft stopper for the front door. We've been using a towel, but the only spare towel is an incredibly ugly 'dog towel'. Downsides- needs to be picked up every time we wash the dog. Also ugly as sin. I probably would have kept with the towel or found a less ugly towel, but husband decided it was a Thing. He rarely does this, so I'm happy to oblige on this. All in all, it was just under $26. I got $25 amazon credit this week for completing a study, so well timed- less than $1 out of pocket.
Student loan payments- we decided to kill all the loans above 4% interest. Previously we'd been letting all the 4-5% interest rate ones ride. But we got a big lump of cash from selling the house, and already put shittons in the market ($11k IRAs, $10k brokerage, set up to add $2k brokerage per month, and we'll be doing 2019 IRAs soon- another $12k). So $7,525 later, we're down by 3 loans, ALL of my husband's loans are gone, and outstanding student debt is less than $10k, at 3.61%

Second week summary here:
Groceries are artificially low, as one store we go to we're working through gift cards (got them on a cyber monday sale, bought $500 worth for $400, and got 6% on rewards CC still). Anyway, since that purchase was Nov or Dec, I haven't wanted to double count them.

Gas: $39 (one fill up)
Groceries: $183
Utilities: $96
Health spending (doc, pharmacy, acupunture): $173
Social spending (scone and coffee for me at book club, beers for husband with the guys at the same time): $25
Pets: $193 (vet appointment, dog food)
Hobby cost (rash guard for husband): $14

Total non-rent, non-student loan spending so far: $925

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »

Oh we did this last year! Our food spending actually went down that month somehow (maybe we should never have a kitchen as a way to reduce our food costs...) We did a lot of grilled cheese and quesadillas on the George Foreman grill, burgers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - like you said, not the healthiest. We moved our fridge out to the garage which was also stuff storage instead of car storage for a while, but having access to a fridge and grill was greatly helpful. We also had figured out the cheap eat out food in advance and allowed ourselves one per week I think, but it usually provided leftovers. We did eat lunch out a lot more often so leftovers were for dinner the next night instead of lunch, but it's cheaper to eat out for lunch than for dinner.

Thanks @meerkat!  Yes we do have our fridge, so that is super helpful.  Ooh -- a small grill would be really useful . . . Good idea! 

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »

Thanks @meerkat!  Yes we do have our fridge, so that is super helpful.  Ooh -- a small grill would be really useful . . . Good idea!

When we were remodeling our kitchen we lived off the crock-pot... we now have an instant pot and that would have provided so many more options.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »

When we were remodeling our kitchen we lived off the crock-pot... we now have an instant pot and that would have provided so many more options.

IP allows so many easy meals. I do a pork ramen in there often, and one of my favorite lazy meals (egg drop soup) could easily be done in there as well. The saute function really opens up SO many options!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2019, 03:25:37 AM »
Yes, during our kitchen build we have used the crock pot a couple of times.  And I have wondered about the Instant Pot.  People seem to love them, but I don't get it -- probably because I haven't used one! :)

Second grocery trip of the month came in at $151 for the 4 of us (two adults, two teenagers).  Continuing to try to push that down. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: Today at 02:42:30 AM »
Mid month update:

Food: Ä90
Travel: Ä63
Fun: Ä30

Date night ended up cheaper than expected because we didn't make it to the cinema in time. Instead we bought drinks and snacks on the way home and watched Netflix. I paid the monthly fee for my sewing class. The annual maintenance of the central heating system is coming up, so this will be an expensive month for home repairs. We like to make sure our home is well maintained - we used to live in a rental and the landlord didn't believe maintenance was cost effective. We learned valuable lessons there and nr 1 was outsourcing maintenance of important things (like central heating) if you can't DIY it is well worth the money and convenience.

Our food budget is fairly low, because there's just 2 of us and we live simply: oats for breakfast, bread for lunch and seasonal veggies for dinner. We don't eat a lot of meat or exotic food and honestly, during the week we are sometimes just so exhausted when we get back from work we end up eating grilled cheese sandwiches, soup or pancakes.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: Today at 03:12:53 AM »
Welp, there goes my goal to have a below-average spending month.  I went to the dentist yesterday and I have to have a crown put on.  Hopefully that will do the trick and I won't have to proceed to a root canal.  The $ is the least of it.  I have very serious dental phobia and this all makes me ill.  I barely slept last night, but fortunately they were able to fit me in today for the crown.  So at least I won't have days of this dread.  Just want to get through it, pay the bill and move on.   

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: Today at 10:03:55 AM »
@Trifele Ugh, my sympathies. I really hate the dentist too. Cleanings aren't so bad but any kind of other work is awful. Does your dentist do nitrous oxide? I have to pay extra for it but it is 100% worth it. Makes it way more manageable. Either way, sending good thoughts to you today! I hope the crown placement goes well and that you can avoid the root canal.

philli14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: Today at 06:23:17 PM »
2018 finances finished up:

Things that really stood out that I will be monitoring in 2019 include:

Cell phone ($75/mo): Late 2018 I switched to Sprint to take advantage of the 1 free year unlimited data/talk/text. I expect this to average out to less than $10/mo. SAVINGS: $65/mo
Gas/Fuel ($160/mo): Ouch. Lots of driving and travelling. Plan on biking more, doing fewer road trips. Hoping to average less than $50/mo. SAVINGS: $110/mo
Restaurants/Bars ($540/mo): Double ouch. This is clearly where I bled the most. Love trying out new food and craft beer.. I think overall I do pretty well budget wise, but looking back I can't help but be disappointed I spent quite this much. This is where I get a lot of pleasure in my life, so aiming for $300/mo is still ridiculously generous but a little more mustachian. SAVINGS: $240/mo
"Shopping" ($420/mo): Unfortunately in trying to keep mint somewhat simple, I tend to lump miscellaneous things into "shopping".. Kinda wish I had separated the category into more sub-categories for better analysis. Regardless, I can recall some purchases that weren't quite necessary.. I'll aim to keep this leftover/miscellaneous category to under $150/mo. SAVINGS: $270/mo
Car ($445/mo): This will be an easy one. The bulk of this was tied up in the purchase of a new (used) vehicle. So I would anticipate need for one oil change (which I do myself), car registration, then maybe a couple unexpected repairs... $100/mo would be plenty to budget. SAVINGS $345/mo

If I can tackle those categories, there is potentially $1030/mo that I can save, for $12,360 more post-tax dollars in my pocket. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:29:23 PM by philli14 »