Author Topic: Healthy lifestyle goals - April pact  (Read 4923 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Healthy lifestyle goals - April pact
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2024, 07:37:55 AM »
Week 1: hit the 3 goals at least 5 times each.

Week 2: starts today

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2024, 07:40:26 AM »
Ok I was doing pretty good but not great at my stretches until I joined this thread, at which point my practise fell off a cliff. I am having real resistance to anything that has any form of accountability or a streak or commitment to it. I will cheer you on from the sidelines but I seem to be better at looking after myself if I don’t make it A Thing.

Great introspection.

Yeah, I tend to do better when exercise is a form of meditative self-care that I am motivated to do because it will make me feel better in that moment.

If it feels like a chore/obligation, I'll fight against doing it even if my body would LOVE the benefits of a bit of PT stretching at least.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2024, 11:41:10 AM »
Goals:
Walk around the park 3 times a day for the next week.
Weed a bucket of weeds each day.
Strength exercises as per pt.
Eat a low fat diet each day.
Work out goals for the next week on 8th April after I’ve seen the doctor.

Walking 6/7
Too much rain for weeding for several days.
Exercises 5.5/7
Low fat 6/7
Doctor useless
Only two days in bed.
Definite win! Thanks Oneday!

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »
Ok I was doing pretty good but not great at my stretches until I joined this thread, at which point my practise fell off a cliff. I am having real resistance to anything that has any form of accountability or a streak or commitment to it. I will cheer you on from the sidelines but I seem to be better at looking after myself if I don’t make it A Thing.

Great introspection.

Yeah, I tend to do better when exercise is a form of meditative self-care that I am motivated to do because it will make me feel better in that moment.

If it feels like a chore/obligation, I'll fight against doing it even if my body would LOVE the benefits of a bit of PT stretching at least.

Same here. If it doesn’t benefit others much/ directly, I just get frustrated by the sense of additional demand, so these things have to stay strictly intrinsic. But this gives me an idea: cooking good healthy food affects my partner, so I may try to make a streak of that.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 10:21:01 AM »
Absolutely you have to know what makes you tick. I too rebel against rules, commands or conventions.

Also you can accept “bad” motivations for doing things if it works for you such as vanity, revenge, ability to beat someone’s ass…

But belief is more important than motivation, according to one of the gym trainers I worked with. He said he got so frustrated with seeing people revert to bad habits. Then he realized that accountability and motivation were not sustainable. Only belief was. A great example he gave of that was when people say they are vegetarian or vegan. It’s an identity and they aren’t struggling to make the eating choices that go with it, they don’t even question them.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2024, 12:57:08 PM »
I’m in!

1) outside walking 4x per week for at least 15 minutes.
2) no alcohol S-Th
3) finish mulching the yard-side A/C, 5 tree rings
4) apply fertilizer to the yard (that will count as two walks)
5) weed under downspout and creeping Jenny section
6) eat 100/200/300/400/500 S-F each week. Total calories 1,500 per day.
1- if you count fertilizer applications
2-happy hour choose FI Wed
3- tree rings check, side AC dug out
4- front and side yard done-two walks
5-95% done
6-Cookout for lunch today-oops. Stalled at my lowest YTD weight this week. Need to power below it.

Overall, a good week 1!
1) outside walking 4x per week for at least 15 minutes. - Done week 1
2) no alcohol S-Th - Missed 1 day week 1 (Happy hour)
3) finish mulching the yard-side A/C, 5 tree rings - DONE
4) apply fertilizer to the yard (that will count as two walks) - DONE
5) weed under downspout and creeping Jenny section - DONE
6) eat 100/200/300/400/500 S-F each week. Total calories 1,500 per day. - Failed on the weekend.  Scale didn't budge down last week.  Darn.

I have a deck to clean with pre-stain cleaner and then stain.  I already scrubbed it over the weekend, so it's just to get it ready for staining next week.  Pollen is super high here, and the deck I cleaned is already yellow again with pollen.  That's making outside walks a challenge.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2024, 01:51:14 PM »
Absolutely you have to know what makes you tick. I too rebel against rules, commands or conventions.

Also you can accept “bad” motivations for doing things if it works for you such as vanity, revenge, ability to beat someone’s ass…

But belief is more important than motivation, according to one of the gym trainers I worked with. He said he got so frustrated with seeing people revert to bad habits. Then he realized that accountability and motivation were not sustainable. Only belief was. A great example he gave of that was when people say they are vegetarian or vegan. It’s an identity and they aren’t struggling to make the eating choices that go with it, they don’t even question them.

This is interesting - though I am not sure what statement or identity would work for me.
“I take care if myself”?
“I am an athelete”?

Very thought provoking though.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2024, 05:55:45 PM »
“I take care of myself”?
“I am an athlete”?

Yes, these are both great examples. Marketing is heavily based on this concept as well (Tesla is a great example of a car brand that represents a complex belief system).

More examples:

I am a runner
I always drink water
I am very flexible
I am very strong
I’m an inquisitive person

Also I do believe in both motivation and accountability as techniques. I think they are all tools in the psychology toolkit.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2024, 07:19:09 PM »
I struggle when my routine changes, and April is full of non-standard days. Oh well. Best to adapt as best I can.

-Follow the No S diet (no snacks, sugar or seconds on days that don't start with an S, or "S"special occasions - I'm giving myself a 50% of this. Not perfect, but okay.
-Work out every day - Every day but the day we had to be up at 6 for our college tour. I did, however, get 12k steps walking around campus.
-10 days of stretching - 2/10
-12 strength training workouts - 3/10
-Run 60 miles - 19.5/60
-Meditate every day - missed two days during traveling

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2024, 07:27:20 PM »
“I take care of myself”?
“I am an athlete”?

Yes, these are both great examples. Marketing is heavily based on this concept as well (Tesla is a great example of a car brand that represents a complex belief system).

More examples:

I am a runner
I always drink water
I am very flexible
I am very strong
I’m an inquisitive person

Also I do believe in both motivation and accountability as techniques. I think they are all tools in the psychology toolkit.

Yeah one time my Uncle told me about a Podcast where someone was talking about that with running. He was like if you wake up and it's raining/cold/dark your like meh; and skip it.

But If your like  A runner would go out and get those miles in regardless and I am a runner! Then you can do it. Can't say I've totally made it work for me; but I think the idea is sound.

----------------

Got my first April bike ride in today ! Had a glorious 72 degree sunny day and got off work a little early. Really fun :)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2024, 07:35:40 PM »
I turn 40 this weekend.  I should probably be better about healthy choices.  I'll jump in on this one late, and start tomorrow!  That will give me 21 days until the end of the month.

Work Out Daily [ ]/21
Drink 100oz of Water Daily [ ]/21
Sleep by 11PM Daily [ ]/21

This is a good start.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2024, 08:05:58 PM »
I turn 40 this weekend.  I should probably be better about healthy choices.  I'll jump in on this one late, and start tomorrow!  That will give me 21 days until the end of the month.

Work Out Daily [ ]/21

This is a good start.

Happy Birthday! My birthday is this week too (but I am more than 50% older than you).

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2024, 09:35:01 PM »

Work Out Daily [ ]/21

This is a good start.

Happy Birthday! My birthday is this week too (but I am more than 50% older than you).

Happy Birthday to you as well!  How are you celebrating?  My wife keeps asking me what I want to do, but I really don't want to do anything.  Just spend the day with the family and I'm happy.  Maybe a lunch out somewhere...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2024, 05:46:46 AM »

This is interesting - though I am not sure what statement or identity would work for me.
“I take care if myself”?
“I am an athelete”?

Very thought provoking though.

It's about more than just self talk though, one of the points that I've always made when coaching someone who wants to incorporate more healthy behaviours into their lifestyle is that priorities are the things you do, not the things you put pressure on yourself to do.

For someone who *is* a runner, running will always come before other things, which means it will displace other things, so if your life is already full of priorities, the only way to muscle exercise in is by will power, which isn't sustainable.

You can't depend on pushing yourself beyond your existing capacity indefinitely to add exercise, you have to make space for it as a real A-level priority. If you don't make space for it, it will stay a B priority, which is the list of things you wish you did, but don't.

So if I am a runner, them it's because running is what I do not what I should be doing.

So if you want to promote something from a B priority to an A priority, you have to systematically look for some A priorities that you can denote, at least temporarily to B priorities while you cultivate a new habit.

I will sometimes outsource cooking and cleaning for a period to free up motivation to develop a new healthy habit, I'll let my social life slide for a bit, or focus less on dog training, whatever can be cut to free up increments of motivation while building something else into a habit. Then I reintroduce the temporarily cut tasks and triage which I have space to return and which I don't and how to manage that.

Once it becomes a habit, it is something I do, and is much more persistent as a behaviour than if I tried to dogpile it on top of my already full dance card of tasks.

If I want a behaviour to become part of who I am, I have to make space for it, and have to accept letting something else go.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2024, 09:06:30 AM »

Work Out Daily [ ]/21

This is a good start.

Happy Birthday to you as well!  How are you celebrating?  My wife keeps asking me what I want to do, but I really don't want to do anything.  Just spend the day with the family and I'm happy.  Maybe a lunch out somewhere...

Same. Birthdays don’t have the same excitement as when I turned 5 yo, or 16 yo, or 18 yo.  I was pretty happy when I hit 59.5 yo though. 😃  We will probably go to dinner. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2024, 10:44:33 AM »
But If your like  A runner would go out and get those miles in regardless and I am a runner! Then you can do it. Can't say I've totally made it work for me; but I think the idea is sound.

Same. I struggle with that identity piece. I've gone to the gym twice a week for a year, but I don't yet believe I am a lifter. I *do* believe I have gained skills, strength and confidence. I do really well with accountability systems, however.

I'm glad it's another access point for folks to reach their goals! We need all the strategies for all the people :) Thanks @Fru-Gal and @Metalcat for contributing this additional depth to the thread. I welcome all discussion that supports our healthy goals.

PS - great job getting the bike ride in!

Goal update:

In bed by midnight 6/9
PT 7/9

Healthy win yesterday: about 1 mile "walk" with the knee scooter

Jakestersquat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2024, 06:09:14 AM »
I know we are partially into April but I’ve been focusing more on intermittent fasting (usually only one meal a day) biking to work 3-4 times a week. The big exercise challenge I want to complete is the Dan John 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge. So far I’ve done 4000

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2024, 08:39:54 AM »
I changed up my morning routine today and walked the dog instead of just letting him outside.  15 minute walk-checked early.  It's supposed to rain later today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2024, 08:45:46 AM »

-Follow the No S diet (no snacks, sugar or seconds on days that don't start with an S, or "S"special occasions - I'm giving myself a 50% of this. Not perfect, but okay. Definite improvement over the last few days
-Work out every day - Every day but the day we had to be up at 6 for our college tour. I did, however, get 12k steps walking around campus.
-10 days of stretching - 3/10
-12 strength training workouts - 4/10
-Run 60 miles - 22.3/60, and I'm taking a running class this am
-Meditate every day - missed two days during traveling

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2024, 02:32:10 PM »
Welcome @seemsright @Vindicated @Jakestersquat and anyone I inadvertently missed.

@eyesonthehorizon I like your out of the box thinking to make this thread work for you.

Goal update:

In bed by midnight 7/10
PT 8/10

Healthy win yesterday: another "walk" with the knee scooter

Today's goal: process bulk purchased food into smaller containers & freeze some so nothing goes bad.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2024, 05:36:41 PM »
So far this week I am 4/4 on the fitness goals.  One more day to complete for this week to be a success. 

@eyesonthehorizon  - is beef stroganoff healthy food? That’s what I made tonight - added bell peoper, and made rice for the “base”

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2024, 09:58:02 PM »
I have a lot of trust when cooking (which I always do by intuition, not recipes) that my body knows what it needs. In general if you home-cooked it from scratch you know what you put in it, so if it has more oil or refined grain than usual meals you can just make up for it with more micronutrient-dense foods elsewhere. I love pairing alfredo for dinner with a big salad at brunch/ lunch (I seem to eat two meals a day now), the former has very little to boast other than fuel & joy but the latter is a mountain of greens & root vegetables with some fruit (tomatoes, cucumbers, sometimes sweet fruits) so it has all the micronutrients (& joy, because I love an occasion to eat nuts & balsamic.) Enough fuel + enough nutrients = healthy.

Mostly I’m shooting for cooking beyond bread, as that’s all I’ve felt up to for about three weeks. I have given myself a gentle pass until I finish my taxes, because absently nibbling bread, cheese, & handfuls of unseasoned greens over the keyboard is still basically the same thing as a salad with croutons or grilled cheese but requires less time & willpower to put together (& I’m not tempted to take a total break while eating to savor the meal, then fail to go back to the job.) Partner is capable of fending for himself. It’s a less happy lifestyle, though.

I am back to exercising 3 out of 4 days on average too, which is good, I just can’t track it formally in here or I’ll start grumbling about it. Instead I’m making a point of paying attention when media shows bodies doing the sorts of feats I want to be capable of & lingering on the mental mirroring of it, sort of inspiration by envy. Which is another habit worth practicing.

Looking forward to making tacos when this is all over. Maybe fish tacos. I hate tax season.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2024, 06:49:16 PM »
Week 2 in the books as successful.  Week 3 started well with a weightlifting session.

And I have started weighing and tracking food again.  I have had enough of a vacation from it that it isn’t overwhelming drudgery right now.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2024, 09:51:48 PM »
In April I have 19 days where I need to be awake much earlier than I want to be.

My goal for the month is to be in bed 7 hours before those early wake up times at least 10 times.  (50% of the time is ambitious, I think in March I achieved 0% of the time!)

As a reward I'll let myself buy a book I should probably get from the library (but it's good to support authors!)

Week 1: 2/6

Getting into bed seven hours before I need to wake is doable but also takes a Herculean effort.  My schedule has changed so that now there are 22 days like this in the month.  I am still sticking to my goal of 10 nights.  Tonight will be #3.  Admittedly some nights are easier because I have a slightly later (but still hours earlier than I want) wake up.  But I've decided those count, this is already harder than I want it to be.

Applause and cheerleading for everyone working to make a healthy change!

Week 2: 3/7 nights

On track, have accumulated 5/10 nights (goal).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2024, 06:59:10 AM »
Week 2 update:

- outside walking 4x per week for at least 15 minutes. - Done - in fact one day I did it twice for 30 minutes each time.
- no alcohol S-Th - Failed again-had wine Sunday night to finish the bottle so it wouldn't go bad.  But one bottle is good for me in a week!
- eat 100/200/300/400/500 S-F each week. Total calories 1,500 per day. - I should start writing these down.  I know I missed on the day I made dutch oven gnocchi, but we didn't eat out at any restaurants, and I lost another pound, so I'm calling it overall compliance.

Deck staining - I did the revive scrub (a second wash) Saturday, and then we had one really warm day, but then it POURED yesterday.  I need a 3-day stretch with no rain in order to stain the deck.  I never know when that will happen.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2024, 07:37:18 AM »
My week 2 update is brief: it stunk 🤦😭

Aiming for better in week 3 , got a weight lift in this morning before work 💪😁

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2024, 08:51:13 AM »
I did 4 sessions of yoga last week, which is great.

I watched a video that gave a tip about posture - when you're walking, face your palms forward, because it rotates your arms and sets your shoulders back. It is not aerodynamic at all though, and gets tiring fast.

Seeking stories:

I have realized over the last two weeks that every day between 2:58 pm and 3:02 pm, my body craves sweets of whatever sort. Looking back, I can see that this has been going on for probably years, since I recall getting hot cocoa breaks in the office around that time of day.

I know I need to either 1) pick something that satisfies the craving that's not terrible or 2) break the habit / substitute something other than food.

Has anyone here had success changing a habit like this? How did you do it?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »

LOL - You've got week 3.  DH is out tonight and a girlfriend wants to go wine tasting.  Ha.  Off I go....

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2024, 03:02:01 PM »

LOL - You've got week 3. 

DH is out tonight and a girlfriend wants to go wine tasting.  Ha.  Off I go....

Thanks, we'll see!!

Yeah we're into the heart of Softball season now and DW has her Bunko night out tonight so the kids petitioned for Pizza after the game so "Dad doesn't have to cook" Haha. Since they invited other teammates I guess off I go as well :) Have fun!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2024, 03:26:34 PM »
Well, I was off to a decent start after my tardy (but approved!) sign up.
WEEK 1
- bodyweight strengthening 2-3x week CHECK
- outside 3x week CHECK
- 10k steps 5x week 4 times, and one at 9979!
- yoga 2x week ONCE
- track food in MFP nope
- track health/movement metrics in spreadsheet nope

WEEK 2
only part way through, but I wrecked it! We got TWO rescue puppies on Friday, so no sleep, no moving (too small to take walks and not trained yet), and we don't have a fenced in yard so I can't let them romp while outside. EGADS what have I done?!? I know this is temporary-ish, but here I am today, on a GORGEOUS day when I would have been outside AND gotten 10K steps doing work in the yard.

Alas, but we do have two cute pups who had crappy starts to their lives and we hope to make them infinitely better!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:47:04 PM by ToughMother »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2024, 04:25:51 PM »

You & me both.

The ship is slowly turning, though: gym on Monday, but it was overtaken by someone listening to their music on a speaker, not headphones. Rude! I used the bike, though. Today got a good lifting session at lunch. That is a good strategy, but I miss out on a walk with BF if I do that. :-/

I chopped, packaged & froze some of the bulk food. More to be done later.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2024, 04:30:14 PM »
Sipping kombucha…..meh.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2024, 05:37:35 PM »
Goals:
Walk around the park 3 times a day for the next week.
Weed a bucket of weeds each day.
Strength exercises as per pt.
Eat a low fat diet each day.
Work out goals for the next week on 8th April after I’ve seen the doctor.

Walking 6/7
Too much rain for weeding for several days.
Exercises 5.5/7
Low fat 6/7
Doctor useless
Only two days in bed.
Definite win! Thanks Oneday!
Walking 7/7
Weeding 6/7
Exercises 5/7
Low fat 5/7
Seen cardiologist, had more tests, got care plan, seeing new doctor next week. There’s a possibility I might be referred to the long COVID clinic - it’s still going.
Things are starting to happen. Thanks Oneday!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2024, 06:54:15 PM »
You're welcome, @deborah ! I'm sorry to hear that COVID is still with you. I hope that the doctors can fix you up tout de suite.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2024, 05:57:40 PM »
Cinderella stained the 14X18 deck base and 6 stairs today before heading to DC for a conference-I barely made it into the car on time, but it’s done. I am counting that as exercise today, although we did walk several city blocks parking our car in DC. I think it needs another coat. But maybe it won’t rain Sunday? Fingers crossed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2024, 04:18:11 PM »
Cinderella

Stainer-ella? 😆

The ship is turning. More bulk food processed and another gym session on my own (not with a trainer), which is a new...skill? habit? I forgot to do the lunges, but otherwise I think I remembered all the things I wanted to do. Will discuss Saturday with trainer what is a good substitute for the slam ball that I don't have at home gym.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2024, 07:36:56 PM »
Cinderella

Stainer-ella? 😆

The ship is turning. More bulk food processed and another gym session on my own (not with a trainer), which is a new...skill? habit? I forgot to do the lunges, but otherwise I think I remembered all the things I wanted to do. Will discuss Saturday with trainer what is a good substitute for the slam ball that I don't have at home gym.

Good one! Stainerella added another coat tonight. As well as stained the handrails and posts. Fingers crossed no rain tomorrow!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2024, 07:54:09 PM »
WEEK 1
- outside 3x week CHECK
- 10k steps 5x week 4 times, and one at 9979
- yoga 2x week ONCE
- track food in MFP nope
- track health/movement metrics in spreadsheet nope

WEEK 2
- outside 3x week CHECK
- 10k steps 5x week 4 times, and two were over 20k steps
- yoga 2x week nope, no class this week and no way to squeeze it in on my own
- 2 new rescue puppies with commensurate insanity CHECK and cause of yoga fail
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:02:38 AM by ToughMother »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2024, 07:58:09 PM »
Closed all 3 ring targets 3/5, but it includes 2 lifting sessions, so that’s good.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2024, 08:27:33 PM »
In April I have 19 days where I need to be awake much earlier than I want to be.

My goal for the month is to be in bed 7 hours before those early wake up times at least 10 times.  (50% of the time is ambitious, I think in March I achieved 0% of the time!)

As a reward I'll let myself buy a book I should probably get from the library (but it's good to support authors!)

Getting into bed seven hours before I need to wake is doable but also takes a Herculean effort.  My schedule has changed so that now there are 22 days like this in the month.  I am still sticking to my goal of 10 nights.  Tonight will be #3.  Admittedly some nights are easier because I have a slightly later (but still hours earlier than I want) wake up.  But I've decided those count, this is already harder than I want it to be.

Week 3: 0/7 nights

I spent my meagre self-discipline and energy working.  Things will let up soon, so I can recharge my mental and physical batteries.

I'll do better this coming week, pretty hard not to!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2024, 02:40:43 PM »
With a week left in the month, now is the time to renew focus if it has fallen off (as it has for me).

3 hours sleep last night...why. Otherwise, doing well with bedtime.
Need to write down that workout I did so I can replicate & not forget the lunges again.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2024, 02:44:52 PM »
I had 2 sleepless nights last week. The first was after a day chock full of social stimulation and driving. I was tired so for the first time in months I did not go to a specific gym lifting class. I also have a low tolerance for driving now, so doing it at all in a day takes all my energy away.

I think the lesson learned is lifting is key to my mental health/good sleep (in addition to cardio, but now lifting seems extremely important).

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2024, 03:02:09 PM »
I've been doing well on the yoga goal (which was not one of my primary goals!).

Instead of my other items, I have focused on eating right-size portions. Things kept going off the rails in the afternoons, and I realized it was because I wasn't eating enough at mealtimes. I have done a bit of calorie tracking to figure out how much I'm eating, so I won't overeat later in the day or do lots of snacking.

This is new to me but so far is going well.

Also we took our large dog in his "pram" ie the bike cargo trailer for the first time today. He likes going places, and there are a variety of trails or parks he enjoys that are a bit too far to walk.

He... did not love it. We have been working with him to get him used to the trailer itself, but moving in the trailer behind the bike is still nervewracking for him. Here's hoping he gets more confident and enjoys it, because biking more is something we want to do.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2024, 12:49:42 AM »
This challenge was amazing. Thanks Oneday for setting it up! I achieved my goals, and probably wouldn’t have done so without the help.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2024, 07:05:47 PM »
That's fantastic deborah! I'm so glad that it was very valuable for you.

How is everyone else doing?

I'll go first :)

Goals:
*write out a couple workouts I can do with the equipment in my apartment complex gym one done
*write out a week's menu of dinners did not do
*start recording the exercises in water aerobics to replicate at home started
*don't stay up past midnight any night this month no

I'm going to call this "good progress". I did more than I would have without this thread. Still need to work on the menus. There were some wacky sleep disturbances this month; as a result, I have decided to make some changes to bedtime alarms an routine to see if that makes a difference.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2024, 06:13:36 AM »
Week 2 update:

- outside walking 4x per week for at least 15 minutes. - Done - in fact one day I did it twice for 30 minutes each time.
- no alcohol S-Th - Failed again-had wine Sunday night to finish the bottle so it wouldn't go bad.  But one bottle is good for me in a week!
- eat 100/200/300/400/500 S-F each week. Total calories 1,500 per day. - I should start writing these down.  I know I missed on the day I made dutch oven gnocchi, but we didn't eat out at any restaurants, and I lost another pound, so I'm calling it overall compliance.

Deck staining - I did the revive scrub (a second wash) Saturday, and then we had one really warm day, but then it POURED yesterday.  I need a 3-day stretch with no rain in order to stain the deck.  I never know when that will happen.

I got walking and eating pretty wel down. The deck also was stained but it rained 1 day after the second coat was applied. I thought it was ruined, but it’s ended up being OK. It probably won’t last as long as it should’ve. We are saving up for a composite overlay in two years.

Alcohol-I did pretty well, but probably need to change to mock drinks midweek on nights out-too easy to go out when I want a drink and that’s expensive!

Down 2 pounds this month.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2024, 08:19:41 AM »
Strength and yoga goals were tossed out the window toward the end. I accidentally pinwheeled off the front steps and landed hard on my knees, so oh well. I'm doing better now.

I did put some eating habits into place that should serve me well, so that's a plus.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2024, 10:23:15 AM »

Week 3: 0/7 nights

I spent my meagre self-discipline and energy working.  Things will let up soon, so I can recharge my mental and physical batteries.

I'll do better this coming week, pretty hard not to!

Week 4 was 1/7.  And that was it for the month.  So I made it to six nights, goal was ten.  Fell short of the goal but improved over the previous month.  My intention is still to sleep more but not sure I will track anything this month, too much going on.

Thanks oneday for starting this thread as a place to motivate self-improvement. 👌

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2024, 10:37:35 AM »
Mixed bag for me.

Weight lifting was up, best of 2024 with 7 sessions (4 in Jan, 3 in Feb, only 2 in March)

Cardio was down, only 2 runs and one bike ride :/

Still having trouble creating a habit especially on weekdays 🤷

But thanks for the thread idea Oneday. Goood luck in May everyone!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2024, 12:45:27 PM »
Good job @couponvan @tygertygertyger @okits and @Longwaytogo . It sounds like everyone ended the month with meeting at least some of their goals and/or learning some lessons (even if the lesson is "this doesn't work").

tygertygertyger, sorry to hear about your fall. Glad it wasn't too severe and you are already recovering.