Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 82159 times)

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
@jooniFLORisploo

I have only recently come to the realization that I prefer projects that end also.  The new job/boss keeps changing projects after I get started, meaning I never get to call them complete or mark them off my to do list.  It is proving to have a very negative impact on my motivation level and my satisfaction of my own work.  I have been debating with myself if this is just because it is a new job and I am not understanding the work that I have been assigned (and therefore just think the tasks keep changing) but it will get better after I understand my role more or if I made a bad career choice and this role is not a good fit for me.  My current plan is to ignore my internal debate and just keep trying to get projects done, for at least a year, and see how I feel then.

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
Jumping in here mid-year, thanks for all the inspiring prior posts!

@galliver Grad.School.Sucks. Seriously. Hang in there, get the work done and get through it. You will recover. I really struggled mentally and emotionally and was a long way from home (and had a death in the family, etc., etc., etc.) in grad school. Half way through I realized there was never going to be time enough to do everything in any given day and I was miserable and didn't want to be. I realized I could be taken out by a bus any day and I didn't want to die being so friggin' miserable. So even though it seemed impossible to add anything else, I started adding some fun things like swimming in the ocean on a consistent basis (Hawai'i, yes, it was awesome) and making more plans with friends. Because when you look back after you've gotten through this, those times are going to be what you remember, not that third revision of a paper.

Things that I'm working on:
- Using mindfulness techniques (breathing, cognitive, etc.) to handle stress
- Trying to meditate on a consistent basis (even just 5 minutes a day)
- Adding vigorous exercise (aiming for 150 minutes a week)
- Seeking social interactions, scheduling more plans with friends, to get emotional needs met and have fun

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: July 27, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »
I would definitely urge mini-breaks in grad school, especially towards the end. Naps, bicycle rides, hikes...what makes you feel better on weekends? Can you incorporate a 2 hour break of x mid-day or mid-week?

I went the academia route, which I did love for awhile. But it required some seriously stupid hours and it wasn't my consuming passion to be a professor. Some folks really love that career though. Job searches are stressful for me, especially if I have to find something by a specific date.

The take away: incorporate breaks between stressful tasks. Keep pushing through. It does get finished eventually.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: July 27, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about the hard times @galliver

I never completed grad school so I have no advice to offer but I wish you the very best moving forward. Years ago, in a Communications & Ethics course, I remember learning about stress hardiness, how people shoulder different loads due to constitution, learned skills and current life situation. At the time I recognized I was very low on the stress hardy scale due to family break-down, my dysfunctional coping strategies, etc.

Somehow the thought of that scale helped me realize I could and WOULD change situations/places on the scale. That I would leave situations like school, dramatic relationship, my 20's (ha) and that I would continue learning skills that would increase my resiliency. 

I'm glad you liked the sonder description.
I agree, from time to time-it is nice to ponder the world's complexities on an individual level.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1004 on: July 28, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
I hope that I can add something to the discussion @galliver even though my situation wasn't quite the same. I had a breakdown at the end of my term in my dream job a few years ago. I was left drained, depressed, anxious (those words don't feel big enough to describe the experience) and like I had devoted my life to a wasted enterprise. What differs from your situation is that it wasn't situational for me, I felt like the work failures (as I saw them) were a reflection of who I was, so I was impacted 24/7.

Enter years of therapy. Of the many things that I've learned, the relevant ones are:
1) Going through difficult times doesn't mean that times will always be difficult. They mean that you know how to survive/adapt/adjust your approach accordingly. This is an asset. When meeting with potential employers, consider not glossing over the difficulties that you had communicating with your advisor. I'd highlight how you resolved the disagreement. Anyone who's hiring a PhD has problems to solve, and interpersonal problems / communication difficulties are part of EVERY field.

2) Give yourself time to grieve. You put everything of yourself into your studies and things didn't go as you had hoped. You feel sad at that lost dream and it's 100% okay to be sad.

3) If someone wants to talk about it and you don't - don't. You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you feel the way that you do, or for wanting some time not to discuss it. Not everyone will understand, and you will need time to remember that this is only part of your life, not life itself.

4) Some people will understand, and finding them is worth the effort. Are there any peer-support groups for graduates, or people who you trust to ask about how they dealt with the tumult of emotion when they finished their doctorates?

5) When you're in a funk, you need schedules. This may be specific to my personality, but I thrive with routine. Schedule those tasks.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
So, I've been trying to find time(/energy) to compose a proper message but this week has turned out kind of hectic. But I did want to stop by and say you are ALL AMAZING before I went offline for a week. I managed to pick up the pace and keep trucking and finish Task 1 this week (pending advisor's feedback), which means when I get back I can focus on 2 and 3 and I'm...actually getting excited about those things! In fact, I think I was already and was super bummed by the "eat your vegetables before your dessert" situation I was in. I realized reading your responses that I was a lot like @SlowAndSteady in that I need time to assimilate and process information...it needs to percolate. In retrospect, I might have been better off doing more tasks at once rather than trying to sequence them...but it *felt* like if I focused unilaterally I would do better. I'll ponder that the next time I have to make such a choice.

By the way, @SlowAndSteady, I wish you THE BEST of luck finishing your classwork, it REALLY sucks having that hanging over you when there's something objectively more important (baby!!). Maybe you can read while holding baby? Then you're bonding but also making progress. I've never been in those shoes, though, so perhaps my advice is naive. :)

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1006 on: July 30, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
@galliver your advice is good.  I just need to print the research articles off and grab a highlighter because baby and laptops don't both fit on my lap, I just need to get over my treehugger side that doesn't want me to use paper.  I got 2 additional assignments done last week, I am down to 8 days and 4 (bigger) assignments and 4 journal assignments.  I am starting to rationalize that I may not actually get them all turned in and for the 1st time I might receive a C.  I am struggling to remind myself that a C is passing and that I need to give myself the grace of understanding that I bit off more than I can chew at this time. 

Maybe if I wait a few months before the next class, the job will be a little more figured out or the baby will be a little more independent (sitting up/crawling/eating food/etc), or something else will give.  I need to do more than 1 class per year or I will never get done.

Congrats on getting task 1 completed, good luck keeping that excitement to finish task 2 and 3!

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1007 on: July 31, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
...I got 2 additional assignments done last week, I am down to 8 days and 4 (bigger) assignments and 4 journal assignments.  I am starting to rationalize that I may not actually get them all turned in and for the 1st time I might receive a C.  I am struggling to remind myself that a C is passing and that I need to give myself the grace of understanding that I bit off more than I can chew at this time. 

1 more big assignment and 1 small one submitted... I am still pretty stressed about getting everything turned in.

I went to see a chiropractor yesterday because I have been getting headaches again (I carry stress in my shoulders/neck/back) and he made the comment that I must be really stressed out.  Apparently my muscles are all so tight back there that he didn't really want to do too much adjusting and told me I needed to make time for myself to decompress. 

Seriously, I have a 4 month old, 4 year old, 13 year old, and 18 year old at home.  The 4 month old has serious food sensitivities causing me to severely limit my diet.  I am also technically still new at my job and I am trying to get this master degree done before I am too old for it to provide me any benefit. Oh, and our rental property had a shit property manager that has basically been letting it fall apart while telling is that there are no issues.  At lease the class ends next week, I guess I get to stress out about finding time to decompress next.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1008 on: July 31, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
...I got 2 additional assignments done last week, I am down to 8 days and 4 (bigger) assignments and 4 journal assignments.  I am starting to rationalize that I may not actually get them all turned in and for the 1st time I might receive a C.  I am struggling to remind myself that a C is passing and that I need to give myself the grace of understanding that I bit off more than I can chew at this time. 

1 more big assignment and 1 small one submitted... I am still pretty stressed about getting everything turned in.

I went to see a chiropractor yesterday because I have been getting headaches again (I carry stress in my shoulders/neck/back) and he made the comment that I must be really stressed out.  Apparently my muscles are all so tight back there that he didn't really want to do too much adjusting and told me I needed to make time for myself to decompress. 

Seriously, I have a 4 month old, 4 year old, 13 year old, and 18 year old at home.  The 4 month old has serious food sensitivities causing me to severely limit my diet.  I am also technically still new at my job and I am trying to get this master degree done before I am too old for it to provide me any benefit. Oh, and our rental property had a shit property manager that has basically been letting it fall apart while telling is that there are no issues.  At lease the class ends next week, I guess I get to stress out about finding time to decompress next.
Wow! That's a lot to handle! I'd be more concerned if you weren't stressed. Don't sweat a C unless it somehow messes up your program (drops gpa below eligibility, won't count towards degree). It really is okay to get the occasional C in college. Anything that you can drop or delegate? Sometimes stuff just isn't worth it (says a person who is chronically over scheduled).

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1009 on: August 01, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
I am currently planning to hold off on taking any more classes until Spring, when baby will be closer to a year old and the job won't be so new anymore.

We scheduled the last of the MAJOR repairs that need to happen on the rental last night so even though paying for it is still a small stress at least I know it is working towards being fixed.  DH has sent the required certified letter to fire the current property manager and he is going to look for a different property manager or try to manage it himself (being out of state this is a little concerning).

There are 2 more weeks of summer here and then the 13 and 18 year old will hopefully get their fill of causing somebody else headaches instead of me.  Good luck teachers, you are in a entirely different level of tolerant than I am.   

So the current plan is to try to hold it together for the next couple weeks and then hopefully watch a lot of the stress causing issues expire/wrap up/disappear.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: August 02, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
Slow&Steady, that sounds like a LOT to handle all at once! I'm glad that in theory at least, you see an end in sight.

I gave myself permission to go off the wagon regarding the no-sugar, no-white-flour, very-little-alcohol thing that I've been doing for a while, when I went on vacation. And also suspended all portion control rules, instead I decided I'd eat until I was satisfied but not stuffed.

I'm fine with all of that; we had a great time. But that was 2 weeks ago and I am having a really really hard time getting back on the wagon. And I'm not sure how to get back to my healthy habits. I used to get back to healthy habits when I lapsed by giving myself lots and lots of negative self-talk about my body's appearance and I don't want to do that any more. "Just do it" doesn't seem to be helping.

The first week back from vacation, every evening was packed so we had very little food to prepare in the house. I had some portions of freezer meals in the freezer so that at least gave me work lunches, but dinners ended up being either eaten out, or haphazardly grabbing something to heat up at Whole Foods, like a frozen pizza. Finally managed a grocery run Sunday so at least we have some healthy nutritious stuff in the house now

But we keep going to events that are centered around food and alcohol, which isn't helping. Friday night we went to a reunion party for a famous club that closed down - had a beer. Saturday we went to the renaissance faire and I had my yearly glass of blueberry mead (which you really can't get anywhere else), ate cheese fritters and nutella beignets - you know, traditional renaissance England food. ;)  Sunday we woke up not-hungry and had a bunch of errands to do, realized we were starving while out and about, and got pizza since we were never going to make it through the grocery run while that hangry.

This week, I cracked open the wine I bought at a winery on vacation, on Sunday. And.... I've been drinking a glass of it every night since, because lately when I buy wine, I don't finish it all before it goes bad and I end up dumping it. I didn't want to have to trash this stuff. I should've just not opened it at all. Yesterday was my birthday and we ate dinner out and had homemade cherry pie made from the cherries we picked on vacation, instead of cake afterward. There is still 3/4 of a pie in my fridge..... :(

The good news is, the events issue should end after tonight. We have tickets to an immigrant-rights fundraiser show, and at this venue you're supposed to purchase 1 drink. I don't drink pop, I don't want juice..... maybe they have sparkling water or bottles of water? Sigh. Who am I kidding, I'll probably end up with a glass of wine.

Also having a lot of trouble with portion control. Monday night, I had dance class. I ate a big salad beforehand. Arrived home from class ravenous, Boyfriend was making veggie tacos, I couldn't resist..... so I basically had TWO dinners! WTF?

And, I told my personal trainer I needed to take a break because workouts just seem impossible to fit in lately, what with maintaining 2 gardens, canning season, all the events I've got going on, plus I have an art show in 2 weeks that I'm behind on the prep for. I was feeling really resentful about having to cram in these workouts, and I haven't taken a break from them in nearly a year, so I felt that was the healthy choice at the time. (And if I'm being totally honest, it's been a spendy summer and I really can't afford him right now.) But paired with the poor eating and drinking habits.... ugh.

How do you all get back to your good habits of saying no to things you shouldn't be eating or drinking, after a lapse of a few weeks that you can't seem to shake? I'm hoping that since our schedule is calming down, I can just eat at home more and keep stuff I don't want to eat from coming into the house in the first place. But, that pie..... I don't want to throw it out!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1011 on: August 02, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
Tris, the getting back on track is what I find the hardest. But what works for me is two things: One, pick a date 3-14 days out and declare it. Then my mind and body have time to prepare. Two, find a buddy (so, gauntlet, other online group, etc) who's doing the same program.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1012 on: August 02, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
@Tris Prior
Your summer activities sound far too enjoyable for you to taint the experience with angst over some calories. Food is meant to be enjoyable, and I really want you to savor your memory of visiting the vineyard while you drink your wine this week. I think that the best approach will be to focus on approaching each choice separately in terms of health and enjoyment. I'd suggest that the mead would have met a sensible threshold because it's a unique experience, but that the other fair foods probably wouldn't.

Getting back on the good choices wagon is hard, but I find that if I stick too rigidly to only dull healthy things that I drive myself nuts. I'm finding the most success by planning indulgences so that I don't feel deprived. That and having easy go-to choices around for when I haven't planned anything (a staple is oats with protein powder, brown sugar and cinnamon - not exciting but easy, tasty and very filling).

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 02, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
@Tris Prior
Your summer activities sound far too enjoyable for you to taint the experience with angst over some calories. Food is meant to be enjoyable, and I really want you to savor your memory of visiting the vineyard while you drink your wine this week. I think that the best approach will be to focus on approaching each choice separately in terms of health and enjoyment. I'd suggest that the mead would have met a sensible threshold because it's a unique experience, but that the other fair foods probably wouldn't.

I dunno, those nutella beignets at faire were in fact AMAZING.... :) But you are right, I did not need to open that bottle of wine - I knew that if I did I would drink a glass for a few nights running because I didn't want to have to toss it because it went bad. (I even bought a wine vacuum when this started happening but it didn't work so well.) I also did not need the beer at the club night; that was pure habit.

Really, the problem is that I've been on a two-week-long nonstop food orgy, and have been having one drink almost nightly when my rule was one drink a week max. If it were the occasional unhealthy choice, I've eased up a lot on myself about that and wouldn't be that concerned. But it's been pretty much daily since we left for vacation, and I'm having trouble stopping the cycle.

I do have the house stocked with plenty of healthy food now, and I had my leftovers from my birthday dinner for lunch today (we had tapas - some sort of polenta thing with mushrooms and gorgonzola sauce and patatas bravas) so there is not presently anything unhealthy in the house. Other than the damn pie, hahaha. Maybe I need to start there, with healthy foods, and slowly work my way back to the (ugh, I hate this phrase with the fire of 1,000 suns!!!) portion control.

joon, that's a good idea, I was thinking that I'd start tomorrow. We have no real social plans for the next couple of weeks, after two very full weekends one of which was out of town, so maybe it's a good time for a reset. We should have plenty of time to batch cook and shop for food. Though Boyfriend's been making noises about getting frozen custard because it looks like it's going to be finally warm enough for it, UGH.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: August 03, 2018, 12:55:55 AM »
Something I have tried is to freeze wine for later cooking purposes (coq au vin, beef stews, etc.), because we never finish wine. So I can tell you that if you freeze wine in ice cube containers, and then later put those ice cubes into a ziploc bag, make sure the seal on the ziploc is really good. Because it is very annoying when the slushy red wine runs down the back of your freezer in front of the fan and you spend several days trying to figure out where the smell is coming from. Learn from my mistake and put it into a rubbermaid container or something like that.

The week didn't start off great with riding, but I should still get two days in. And I brought my lunch in every day. And it is a long weekend coming up here in Ontario (Simcoe Day aka August Civic Holiday because there needs to be another long weekend in the summer).

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1015 on: August 04, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
@galliver  do you follow www.theprofessorisin.com?  I have such a major girlcrush on Karen and her team -- i think they are doing wonderful things for all the depressed, underpaid academics out there.  They do weekly Facebook live chats that address issues of motivation, self-doubt, etc. 

Way back in the dark ages of the internet the forums on phinished.org were instrumental in helping me through to the end of my diss.  We would do things like daily/weekly (and yes, sometimes even hourly) "pacts" where we would commit to writing x number of pages in a certain timeframe.  It was so helpful to have a community of peers who understood the struggle, and who could celebrate finally getting the draft of a chapter done and sent off to the advisor.

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1016 on: August 06, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »

Class ends tomorrow (@ midnight), I am down to 2 big assignments and 1 small one left to be submitted.  I have calculated what my grade would be if I didn't submit any other assignments and I should be solidly sitting at a C, if I submit 1 of the big assignments that should put me in the B range.  Do I try to squeeze in that last assignment or do I accept my C and move on?  My nature is to work until midnight tomorrow to try to get that last assignment finished but I am thinking that my health would be better served if I just cut myself off now.  I did check my tuition reimbursement paperwork at work, anything a C or above reimburses at the same amount.

The littlest one is still reacting to something in my diet and I am driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.  I have probably spent more time research this than I have on my entire class. 

Wednesday I have to go out of town for 1 night for work, I am thinking that when I get back on Thursday I am going to give myself a fresh start.  Class will be over, there is nothing I can actively do about the rental at the moment, all the other kids seem to be getting along for now, and we re-delegated some chores to take a few things off of me and SO.  I am debating a ridiculous restrictive diet for a week or so to see if we can figure out the babies issue, and getting back from this trip might be the least stressful time to do that!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
Cooking is more enjoyable now that I have the Boy to eat the food, too. The children eat apples and peanut butter and broccoli and hummus almost exclusively (they each have a handful of other things they will eat, like pesto for BB). Yesterday I made a whole chicken in the crock pot and mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot and it was a delicious and nutritious Sunday dinner and I made broth with the bones!

This morning was my first time trying to do squats and deadlifts since I got back from Paris and I took a lot of weight off but it was still soooo hard. I think I might be hitting some kind of wall. Time to reevaluate my fitness goals and how best to meet them...

Wrestling with anxiety because I'm going through a stressful time so I'm trying to practice excellent self-care and reduce my caffeine intake to not get so many jitters.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1018 on: August 07, 2018, 01:30:41 AM »
@Tris Prior qould it help you to try to focus on a positive healthy choice that you add into your health style?   So as you sip your wine you are savouring the flavour as suggested but it is at the end of the day you have done some exercise or completed a task in your planned regime.  I might have a glass of wine on the go while I cut the leaves of basil or some other boring task.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 07, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
Getting back into the swing of healthy things is hard!

For me:
- I don't keep wine in the house much, ever.  If I open a bottle, I'll drink it over the space of the week.  I do belong to a wine club, so sometimes I have it in the house. I'm pretty good about not opening it usually because it interferes with my sleep.  If I have a glass after 5 pm, then I sleep like crap.  Which makes it hard to wake up at 5 am.
- When I do have wine, it's generally only on Sundays at our neighborhood potluck.  So I will take a bottle there, and then it's usually almost fully gone so none to bring home.
- I pretty much eat the same things all the time - so repetition works for me.  I eat one of 3 different breakfasts every day (eggs and toast, yogurt and fruit, oatmeal with PB and banana).  I have salad for lunch every single day.  My snacks are fruit and nuts.  Half my plate is vegetables at least.

The social issues aren't a big thing for me because I have kids, and they kill your social life, ha!

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1020 on: August 08, 2018, 06:20:15 AM »
I made a healthy choice yesterday that I'm quite proud of. Despite having run in the morning, I was feeling full of anxiety energy by mid afternoon. Instead of over-eating, drinking or stewing, I went to the gym and expended the energy by lifting weights in the heat. After an hour, I was mellow and sweaty.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1021 on: August 08, 2018, 06:24:58 AM »
To say this has been tough is a understatement.  And just recently I really started watching my junk food intake and I did great for 8 days and then one thing started me downhill and I have been off the rails.  I even gained back 3 lbs that I happily lost. So yesterday I started again being mindful and will try and make a commitment to stick to it. I felt so much better not only physically but mentally. 

I am not making any outright eliminations/claims, just to eat in moderation and be mindful of the junk food.  If I can stick to junk food only on the weekends and not use it as an excuse to overdo it, then I should be fine.

I have also started exercising. I am hoping to make this a lifestyle change. We will see.  I like exercising but not really, if that makes any sense at all.

So, I am starting to get rid of a lot of junk from the house. I have given away a lot of chocolate and should have given away all of it.  So, I will be getting rid of the rest.
Not bringing anymore junk food home for at least 2 months.
Exercising at least 3x a week if not more. 
Eating more fruits and vegetables.  It is easier in the summer for me.

I still have time in 2018 to really get fit so that is a goal.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: August 08, 2018, 06:26:48 AM »
I made a healthy choice yesterday that I'm quite proud of. Despite having run in the morning, I was feeling full of anxiety energy by mid afternoon. Instead of over-eating, drinking or stewing, I went to the gym and expended the energy by lifting weights in the heat. After an hour, I was mellow and sweaty.

Just awesome.  I am trying to do the same. I do overeat out of stress, boredom, etc and I need to start going for a walk or exercising instead. 

Vasilisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1023 on: August 08, 2018, 09:06:51 AM »
@alleykat Good for you for keeping at it and trying new things! Have you tried preparing/prepping favorite healthy foods? Instead of focusing on junk food you're giving up, having perfectly ripe summer fruit to look forward to instead? I know that's been helping me lately- chopping up the melon or washing the cherries and having them ready.

For exercise- do you have someone you can enjoy a walk with? It feels less like exercise and more like social time! I got in a long walk with a friend over the weekend and didn't even notice we walked miles- it was awesome.

I packed myself some good lunches this week, had a good workout with personal trainer (shared with family members, don't worry not too expensive), had a good session with a counselor, and got in some great gardening time this week.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: August 09, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
@alleykat Good for you for keeping at it and trying new things! Have you tried preparing/prepping favorite healthy foods? Instead of focusing on junk food you're giving up, having perfectly ripe summer fruit to look forward to instead? I know that's been helping me lately- chopping up the melon or washing the cherries and having them ready.

For exercise- do you have someone you can enjoy a walk with? It feels less like exercise and more like social time! I got in a long walk with a friend over the weekend and didn't even notice we walked miles- it was awesome.

I packed myself some good lunches this week, had a good workout with personal trainer (shared with family members, don't worry not too expensive), had a good session with a counselor, and got in some great gardening time this week.

@Vasilisa, yes, I always have plenty of fruits and vegetables on hand. The problem is for me they don't always do the trick. It is just best for me to keep the snacks foods in the house to a minimum.  I do need to get better at preparing some solid meals and having them ready for the evenings. Sometimes when I get home, the last thing I feel like doing is cooking.

Right now I am not walking as much. I don't do well in the heat but I agree with you, walking is more enjoyable with a buddy.

Sounds like you are really doing things right. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 09, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
I joined a gym with awesome air-conditioning. It seems like one of only two places around with truly cold air in the heat wave. It's made me excited to work out :)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: August 09, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
I joined a gym with awesome air-conditioning. It seems like one of only two places around with truly cold air in the heat wave. It's made me excited to work out :)

I wish I could say that for my gym!

I made a counterintuitive healthy choice today. I did not go to the gym. That would have meant going out in the car and dragging the children, who didn't want to go, and besides, I just haven't been getting good results at the gym lately. Instead of getting in the car for the gym and then errands, the boys and I got on our bikes (BB, 7, rides his own bike and LB, 6, rides a trailabike behind me) and biked to Ross to shop for back to school shoes. Then we ran by the grocery store to grab some bread. When we got home, I put up the Boy's chin up bar and did 3 sets of chin ups and 3 sets of elevated-feet push ups. When I finished, I was soooo hungry and good-tired. I ate 2 pieces of avocado toast with a smoothie made with a little protein powder, some Fage 2% and frozen berries. Yumm.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1027 on: August 13, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
Still no dairy, and if it wasnít for the very Smokey skies my breathing would be perfect...still very happy.
So, life threw me a lemon....and I donít know quite how to ďmake the lemonadeĒ.  I will preface this with the following
I go to the gym six days a week, two days for yoga.  Gym for over 20 years, yoga for ten. Walk every single day, ten km at least.  Eat very well...have to, stupid allergies.  Lots of veg, good protein...no grains.  Maintain a healthy weight. 

I have hashimotos, had severe acute pancreatitis (12 years ago), food allergies, but honestly in very good health, or so I thought.  I am 61 and retired
Went for my bone scan a few weeks back, call back from doc to see her.....seems I have moderate to severe osteoporosis.  I am gutted.  I cried at the gym today.
I am so mad, 😢
More later

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: August 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
Oh Bendi :((((((
Ah, what crap news :((((

I can totally see how -after all your healthy work over the decades!- this would be especially devastating.
Ah, man...

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: August 13, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
@Bendigirl - I am so sorry. 

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1030 on: August 13, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
Thanks jooni and frugal!

I need to add a few things...
Not only did I do all the proper exercise, I donít drink, donít smoke and take the supplements...calcium, D, K2, magnesium...I literally have done everything right.  You could have knocked me over with a feather!

So now, in my extremely pissed off state,  I need to decide what to do.  doc wants me to take Prolia, a twice yearly injectable.  As she said, my bones got much worse with me doing everything right, so meds are the appropriate route.  I get that.  I worry about side effects and also wonder why I am losing bone density at a fairly rapid rate.  Time for me to go all Sherlock.

Right now I have a feeling that my thyroid issues and subsequent medications may be a trigger. 

Need to wait for a copy of my results (in my state yesterday...yes, she saw me on a Sunday, I forgot to ask for a copy) and see what part of my body is the worst.

I am lucky to not have ever suffered a break or fracture...thatís good news.

Wish me luck...and if anyone has had this issue please feel free to post!

Better Change

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1031 on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Hi Bendigirl,

I'm one in a long line of females who get or who have had osteoporosis.  All of my memories of my great grandmother are of her bent over and nearly the same height as me (she died when I was 9 or so).  My grandma has osteoporosis and has broken both arms (at the same time), a hip, a shoulder (same time as arms), and multiple ribs over multiple events.  My mom, at age 63, is in your shoes.  She lifts weights and walks, but it's only a matter of time before the disease sets in more noticeably.

I was diagnosed with osteopenia at age 27 after multiple stress fractures and a year and a half in the female athlete triad.  Thankfully, I haven't had any fractures in years after gaining weight/reducing exercise/getting my period back, but it's always in the back of my mind. 

I think my grandma has been on Boniva for a number of years.  My mom doesn't take medication, and I was very much against it myself in my 20s.  It's a difficult and very personal choice.

What comforts me is that these ladies haven't stopped or didn't stop living their lives just because of the osteoporosis diagnosis.  They were or are vigorous women, and the ones who have passed lived into their mid-90s.  My grandma is 85 now.  You've taken excellent care of yourself - in fact, you're in the best possible place you can be in to deal with the osteoporosis.  Stay strong and stay active!  Sure, maybe going mountain biking isn't the best idea, but there's still so much else that you can continue to do. 

All this to say I understand how much this sucks.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1032 on: August 14, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »
Better change....what a great response, your story is amazing and I am so happy you posted with your firsthand experience!
My mom had cancer very young, the damage to her body from the treatments caused her bones to be brittle and I therefore have no idea if osteoporosis is hereditary.  Hmmm, come to think of it I am sure my grannies both got shorter over time.
I went to the doctors office to get my results today and HUGE sigh of relief...I feel the doc completely over exaggerated the severity of my osteoporosis.  My spine and femur neck are around -2.7, just in the zone.  The hip itself is good.  With those numbers I will not take meds, at least not yet, and will try the natural route.  The side effects of the meds are nasty.
Better change, you are my inspiration and your post is exactly what I needed.
Thanks!  Wishing you strong bones!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: August 15, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
@Bendigirl - if you can post about what methods you are using, that would be great.  I think I am at risk (celiac, family history) and perhaps haven't been doing enough preventative things. 
@Better Change - thank you for sharing your experiences. 

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1034 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
Hey frugal lizard...happy to share
Weight bearing exercise...I lift weights four days a week, heavy weights are crucial.
Balance...yoga twice a week, should do more
Walking.  Some people use weighted vests.  I donít.
No alcohol, no smoking, very little sugar (if I use any itís maple syrup)
I have a wheat allergy and you with celiac leaves us out of the fortified wheat based carbs so supplements are important.  I am also now dairy free so even more necessary.  I take 1000mg calcium, 2000 vit d3, 200 K3(I just upped this today, was taking 100 mcg), magnesium morning and night, vitamin c just because and just started a b complex.
Collagen peptides in my coffee every day.
Lots of leafy greens
Stared doing, gentle for now, jumping squats.  The resistance is key, from what I have read four times  normal resistance is key, the jumping helps with that.

Must admit on some of these things I was a little lax in the past.  Never again, this routine will make a big difference for me. 

I have cut my thyroid meds in half (the cytomel) as it seems too much t3 is detrimental to bones.  My TSH is very low, has been for a year...and I think it matters.  Hopefully knocking back the meds will make a difference. 

Good luck

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: August 15, 2018, 05:54:23 PM »
Thanks @Bendigirl

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
Caffeine is really messing with me so I plan to start cutting back. I've already cut the amount of coffee I'm drinking. Tomorrow I'll starting mixing with decaf. It's hard to get going in the morning without the stimulant but hopefully that will change. My sleep has improved recently by following some suggestions in my journal. I would love to get off caffeine for good.

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1037 on: August 20, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »
My class is over and has been for about a week!  I did not turn in the last assignment and I struggled for a brief second with the fact that even a half baked attempt at that assignment would have given me an A, I am happy to settle with my B.

The kids are back in school!

We have fired our property manager that was letting us become the biggest slumlords in the area and working are on a search for a new one!  The leach field has been replaced, the roof and soffit replacement is scheduled.  Need to get a hold of the tenants to determine what other repairs are needed, I think there was a something about the dishwasher leaking.

I have been seeing a chiropractor for the tension in my back/neck! He has demanded that I start learning how to handle stress and not internalize it so much.  I started learning how to crochet this weekend, so far it seems like a good way to keep my hands busy while my brain wonders.  Now if I can just find the time (without giving up sleep) to actually do this.

I made it to the 3rd floor at work without being winded!

Year over year I am done 30+ lbs, 20 more to get to my goal!  The crazy diet restrictions for the baby is credited for most of this but it is also credited for a good portion of the stress since she is still reacting to something in my diet.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: August 22, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
I am starting a new project--monitoring my liquid consumption. I think it's too HIGH. I am noticing pretty serious bladder irritation to an extent I have not noticed since the fourth grade. It wasn't an infection then and I'm pretty sure it's not one now. Maybe if I drink enough-but-not-too much, it will help.

Also if I limit the coffee! I had a third cup (well, just a half) two days in a row. Wine is only like 3-5 glasses over the course of a week, so I'm not too worried about that.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
Dropped kid activity that was causing me stress due to poor scheduling. Excellent.

Trying to make more intentional choices about what we eat. Liking it so far! Plus, it is starting to get cooler so running is a less of a problem.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1040 on: August 27, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »
Actively pursuing 10-12 hours of sleep per day. Itís making a massive difference to...everything.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: August 31, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
I took August off from my personal trainer because: overwhelmed. (work, running 2 gardens, prepping for a big craft fair.)

I was going to start back up in September, but, as I just detailed in my journal, my credit card spending has really been out of control this summer and I think I need to have an austerity month, at least, to clean that up. So I told him that I'll start up again in October, but cannot afford him in September.

I know from experience that I will not do painful strength training exercises on my own, without any accountability, because it HURTS! I am still going to weekly dance class (that's paid up through Sept.), and I still walk a lot, and I have two brand new kittens to chase. So I won't be totally inactive. But, I was starting to see muscle, and I know strength training is important for maintaining bone as you age (osteoporosis runs in my family), and I could almost lower myself all the way on the pull-up bar. I hate to lose those gains

I'm uncertain how to motivate myself to do these exercises on my own. The whole reason why I am paying him is that I've found that I need the accountability or else I just plain will not exercise. I do not have any friends who would do this for me; I actually don't know anyone who works out or thinks working out is important, now that I think of it! haha

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 31, 2018, 09:26:58 AM »
Hmmmm... Iím having a lot of gains in weight lifting, with no experience of pain. Is it possible you could find a different balance, Tris? One in which youíre achieving your goals pain-free?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: August 31, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »
I would love that. My trainer says it's supposed to hurt, though. I guess I'm uncertain where the line is between pushing oneself in a healthy way and challenging oneself, and pushing oneself too much?

Usually the next day I am somewhat sore but not unable to function, except the first time I do a new exercise. So maybe I am not actually pushing myself too much. In the moment, though, it HURTS.

joon, what sort of routine are you following, and what gains are you seeing? Improvement in amount of weight lifted? Feeling stronger at everyday tasks (hauling heavy stuff, for example)? Looking better?

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1044 on: August 31, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
Iím very excited about my program; Iíll try to speak calmly ;)

I paid for one training session. My first go with everything was very hard for me. I even said to the trainer, ďWait, I need to be clear... Iím a person that doesnít exercise.Ē Because I was a little afraid! I thought he might be proposing something well beyond my starting point. Anyhoo, within two sessions on my own, I felt great and confident. After a month, I increased the weight in each area. I believe I could do more, but Iím committed to balance, wellness, ease, time.

Iíve had no pain and -except after the first day of each new setting- no soreness. I feel tremendously happy doing my program, as well as after.

Benefits so far:
increased happiness
leaner body
vast reduction in menstrual blood loss (one period so far)
increased body comfort (general day-to-day movement, lifting, etc)
increased daily ease in my two post-injury spots
feeling more powerful, like my muscles are now supporting me
visible muscle development
more calm hours

I do a variety of things -ball, glider pads, barbells, TRX, machines, pulley- a focus on the core but all areas covered, plus cardio warm up, cardio at end, stretching, and 2 mins on the vibrating machine at the end to prevent soreness. I think my program is for beginners or seniors, and itís perfect for me! I selected a happy, joyful, healthy trainer who is young and super fit and works primarily with old people to redevelop ease, range of movement, injury prevention, etc.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1045 on: August 31, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
@Tris Prior
FWIW, my general theory is that general ache is okay, but anything sharp is a sign to stop and reassess form.

During your month off, could you bring yourself to do core exercises? A strong core will support you through all other strength exercises, and since you usually just use your bodyweight, you may find them less uncomfortable to do.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1046 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
@Tris Prior, I'm confused by your trainer saying it's supposed to hurt. I have worked up gradually to lifting very heavy weights without significant pain. I mean, sometimes I swear and question my life choices because it's HARD, but it doesn't exactly HURT. (Unless I am doing something that involves holding my arms overhead or out in front of me.) Maybe you could talk to your training about finding activities that are more comfortable for you.

My healthy choice this week was asking a kindly older gentleman at the gym to spot me. Talking to stranger is uncomfortable but dropping a barbell on your face is dangerous and, umm, I did that. The Boy said that he was torn between just pretending to be annoyed that I was doing something dangerous (like he would tease me about) and being actually mad. Because really, dropping a barbell on your face is not cool. So I am trying to be better about getting a spotter. He gave me some tips, too.

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #1047 on: September 04, 2018, 08:29:37 AM »
I went shopping this weekend.  I know that is usually counterproductive on MMM and I actually hate shopping, so why is this a good thing?

I work in a 1 step down from a dress suit type of environment and all of my pants were able to be pulled off without unbuttoning or zipping them.  That is a great thing on the weight loss front, but a not very good thing for looking the part.  I hate shopping so much and can never find good things at a thrift store before I get too frustrated with the whole shopping experience, I have been quickly browsing a local consignment store every couple weeks but they never have dress pants in my size. So I bit the bullet and went to Kohl's.  Turns out that I didn't just need the next smaller size from what I was wearing but the one below that, I was basically wearing pants that were 2 full sizes too big.  No wonder people were starting to make comments. 

Anyways, I hated spending the money on clothes (and trying them on, and looking through so many different styles, and etc.) but I feel much better today, it is shocking to me how much of a difference it makes in your mood and stance when wearing clothing that fits and look good.  Hopefully the remaining weight loss doesn't happen so fast that I have to repeat this experience before I have fully recovered (mentally, not financially).     

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
I went shopping this weekend.  I know that is usually counterproductive on MMM and I actually hate shopping, so why is this a good thing?

I work in a 1 step down from a dress suit type of environment and all of my pants were able to be pulled off without unbuttoning or zipping them.  That is a great thing on the weight loss front, but a not very good thing for looking the part.  I hate shopping so much and can never find good things at a thrift store before I get too frustrated with the whole shopping experience, I have been quickly browsing a local consignment store every couple weeks but they never have dress pants in my size. So I bit the bullet and went to Kohl's.  Turns out that I didn't just need the next smaller size from what I was wearing but the one below that, I was basically wearing pants that were 2 full sizes too big.  No wonder people were starting to make comments. 

Anyways, I hated spending the money on clothes (and trying them on, and looking through so many different styles, and etc.) but I feel much better today, it is shocking to me how much of a difference it makes in your mood and stance when wearing clothing that fits and look good.  Hopefully the remaining weight loss doesn't happen so fast that I have to repeat this experience before I have fully recovered (mentally, not financially).   

I feel your pain. I loathe clothes shopping but find that I'm being forced to consider it now that my current clothes are too big.  I can handle it financially, but the mental energy that it takes to shop is exhausting.

I keep hoping to wake up and suddenly find myself to have magically become an expert tailor, so that I can avoid stores and just take in all of my clothes. Unfortunately, since the sewing fairy has yet to visit, I think that I'd have to learn the hard way.

Being presentable is hard. Living in sweatpants is easy. Congratulations on doing the hard thing!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »

I feel your pain. I loathe clothes shopping but find that I'm being forced to consider it now that my current clothes are too big.  I can handle it financially, but the mental energy that it takes to shop is exhausting.

I keep hoping to wake up and suddenly find myself to have magically become an expert tailor, so that I can avoid stores and just take in all of my clothes. Unfortunately, since the sewing fairy has yet to visit, I think that I'd have to learn the hard way.

Being presentable is hard. Living in sweatpants is easy. Congratulations on doing the hard thing!

It's difficult!

I am sooo fortunate that I am a pretty standard LOFT Petite size, so I can get a lot from ThredUp. I loathe going to stores with my precious kid-free time.