Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 88789 times)

Sun Hat

• Bristles
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #850 on: May 15, 2018, 06:17:58 AM »
I've had a few days of atypical success at self-care, so I thought I'd share. By Friday of last week, I was depressed and my back hurt, so I had a good stretch and booked a massage for Saturday. Saturday's massage worked wonders and the massage therapist invited me to try out his gym the next day. Sunday I overcame my inner recluse and actually went to the gym where I had a one on one crossfit session that left me with a magenta face and deliciously depleted. I was then invited to join the seniors' group that they have for those 60+. In one fell swoop, my ego went from "Yay, I just rocked a workout" to "Oh no. Either he thinks I'm 60+, or I'm they're the closest to my fitness level". I answered that I'm actually just 40, but I'd be happy to train with the seniors. If I had had the energy, I'd have kicked him in the shin.

Monday, full of resolve not to spend $120/mo to cross town to get shown up by people older than my mother (apparently all of the current members of the seniors group are over 70), I went for a very nice run outside. Today, I'll ride my bike and think about how to incorporate plyometrics into my free at home workouts, since I have to admit that my muscles do feel terrific after Sunday's butt-kicking.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Numerophobic Mustachian
« Reply #851 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
New all time low weight this AM and had to add another hole to my belt. My ďIím not fat anymoreĒ clothes purchases are starting to fall off without a belt.

There seems to be some correlation with the bad depression Iíve posted about happening at the beginning of a fat and/or weight drop. I think there may be a fat-stored hormone, vitamin, or toxin factoring into the depression. The depression definitely feels vey ďchemicalĒ in nature rather than having obvious external stress triggers.

Makes me wonder if the best course is just to wait it out as my body is pretty close to the end of fat/weight loss. Will have to see how it goes.

Garden and the animal components of the homestead are so far doing okay. Iíve had so many setbacks in past years, though, that I canít shake the ďwaiting for the other shoe to dropĒ anxiety feeling, though. I guess low expectations are still healthy in this particular instance? Dunno, but at least that way I am assured of exceeding my expectations, lol.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »
@furrychickens
I can empathize with your weight loss and depression, and hope that whatever chemical that is causing it flushes out soon. While you wait, you might benefit from something I learned from a new therapy group that I recently started. They have me track a number of metrics (care of physical illnesses, sleep, eating a balanced diet, activity, limiting mood altering substance like coffee and wine) and plan both a pleasurable experience and an accomplishment that I can be proud of every day. It's a lot of work to think of all of the different factors, but that disrupts my rumination and does have some effect in lifting my mood.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #853 on: May 15, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
https://reembody.me/the-6-most-shockingly-irresponsible-fitspiration-photos/

@RamonaQ that post is giving me life! Giving a standing ovation to @frugalparagon and everyone else out there calling out shamey and horrible language around fitness.

@furrychickens I don't have any suggestions or ideas about your depression, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through it and that I hope you're feeling better soon.

It's been running before 7am weather here for the past week. I feel like such a zombie while my body is adjusting, but the alternatives are treadmill (ugh, boring) or getting outrun by sloths and feeling like I'm on the verge of death if I try to run outside when it's 93 degrees (not ideal). I did five miles on Sunday, which is my longest run since my fall half, and three yesterday. My training cycle officially starts June 2, so I'm trying to enjoy my last few weeks of workout flexibility.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #854 on: May 15, 2018, 12:48:52 PM »
@furrychickens -- Congrats on poking another hole in your belt! I hit a new recent low this AM--not all-time, but the lowest I have been in many years.

I'm a mainstream science kinda girl and it seems like there is not well-established science around the release of hormones and synthetic chemicals stored in fat--so your theory seems reasonable to me. Buuut you don't wanna get too far down, right? Could you make yourself a promise that if you don't feel better by x date, you will do y? I have no knowledge of depression (as opposed to managing my own black moods), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

@Sun Hat -- Oh dear! Well, IME lots of people are terrible at guessing people's ages and one mustn't take it personally. Sounds like you are rocking both exercise and self-care.

Yesterday I limited myself to 2 cups of coffee. Can I do the same today? We'll see! (When I work 11-8, which is Monday and Tuesday, that third cup often sounds great.)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: May 15, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
Made myself run on the treadmill this morning in spite of really not feeling like it. Again, once I was 5 minutes or so in, it wasn't so bad.  Did 2 miles in 20:23 -- not as fast as last week, but still ok for a middle aged overweight gal.

I'm really noticing changes in how my muscles feel after about 4 weeks of doing weights again.  Especially in my core.  Good stuff.  Weight still hanging at around 160, but more of that is muscle than a few weeks ago.  I tend to drop weight in phases, so as long as I can control my evening snacking cravings I should get 5-10 lbs off over the summer once I break through this plateau. 

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #856 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »
Well, started dairy free on March 18....so itís been two months.  I feel,good, breathing is good.  Sadly, the odd ďrashĒ on my hip has reappeared.  Not too bad, and it doesnít bother me, itís just there...and that is irritating.  Allergies seem to have lessened.  That is good.
Made my morning muffins again with the vegan protein, they taste ok but have the weirdest texture.  They are healthy so Iíll keep making them.
Had a great workout again today.  Treadmill and lower body.  I walked also (itís an everyday thing) and did some baking. Gluten free/ paleo carrot muffins and the aforementioned protein muffins.

Long weekend here, love it because everyone leaves the neighbourhood to go camping and we stay put to enjoy the ponds, the birds and all the trails that are literally out our backdoor.  With the price of gas I really donít get why anyone would drag a trailer anywhere...and the bugs!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #857 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:41 PM »
I rode my bike 34 MILES TODAY!!!!

From home to Marymoor Park and back via the Burke Gilman and Sammammish River trails, for those who know Seattle.

That is more than twice my previous longest ride (about 16 miles, from home to the SRT trailhead).

My butt fell asleep several times.  Current bike is not great for longer rides.  DH pushing me to upgrade.  Will ponder....

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: May 22, 2018, 04:49:20 AM »
Nice! Is it the bike, or just lack of being accustomed to being on the bike that long? Or a fit issue that could be adjusted on that current bike?

The longest ride I ever did was a few years ago, foolishly going out way too far on a ďout and backĒ trail ride while on vacation in MD, 80 miles RT. The last 15 miles were pure torture. My legs werenít too bad, but my arms were so sore from holding myself up on the bike. That usually seems to be where I get sore/tired the soonest.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:19 AM »

From home to Marymoor Park and back via the Burke Gilman and Sammammish River trails, for those who know Seattle.

That is more than twice my previous longest ride (about 16 miles, from home to the SRT trailhead).

My butt fell asleep several times.  Current bike is not great for longer rides.  DH pushing me to upgrade.  Will ponder....

That's amazing!  Good job :)

The longest ride I ever did was a few years ago, foolishly going out way too far on a ďout and backĒ trail ride while on vacation in MD, 80 miles RT. The last 15 miles were pure torture. My legs werenít too bad, but my arms were so sore from holding myself up on the bike. That usually seems to be where I get sore/tired the soonest.

I've noticed that I get neck and shoulder pain when I ride my bike for longer distances (nowhere near 80 miles, though), and I think partially it's because I have to crane my neck up to see correctly through my glasses.  I wonder if it would be better if I wore contacts/didn't need corrective lenses. 

It's recently been brought to my attention that I have slightly rounded shoulders due to sitting at a computer/smartphones/reading too much, despite my attempts at good posture.  I'm starting a 2x/week routine of stretches, releases, and exercises that are supposed to help, and I'm hoping it will eventually help with my upper back pain and tension headaches.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #860 on: May 22, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »
My healthy choice was to have a long soak in the tub with candles, bath bomb and a podcast by Freakanomics.  My brain wasn't tired- just my body.  It felt amazing.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: May 22, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »
Nice! Is it the bike, or just lack of being accustomed to being on the bike that long? Or a fit issue that could be adjusted on that current bike?

It's a combination of things, I think:

1)  The bike is a hybrid that leans more toward cruiser style than road bike.  It is pretty heavy (much heavier than the Trek hybrid DH was riding). 

2)  I had the seat much too low for the first part of the ride.  I had ridden it lower before, since DD also rides this bike, but DH didn't tell me last ride he lowered it even more.  I adjusted the seat up a couple of times, but I think maybe it still isn't high enough.  I like to be able to put my foot on the ground for balance when stopped at stop lights, so I don't like to have the seat too high.

3)  The handlebars only have one place you can put your hands, unlike a road bike, so being in the same position gets really tiring after awhile.  I find the pressure on my hands to be uncomfortable (rigid position of the elbows also not good for my cubital tunnel syndrome), so probably more of  my weight is on my butt than is ideal. 

4)  Generally, I am not sure the whole design of the bike is the best fit for me.  I have a hard time finding bikes that work well for me.  I am short (5'3") but with fairly long legs. Larger framed bikes don't work well because I struggle to reach the handle bars.  Smaller frames often make my legs feel cramped.

The good news is i bought the bike used for a decent price, and can always resell it for close to what I paid for it if it doesn't work for me after making further adjustments.  We have some other big expenses pending so I am reluctant to sink a ton of money into a brand new bike, though.  And CL offerings can be spotty. 

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #862 on: May 22, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
@lhamo makes sense, especially if itís more cruiser type. If you end up going new, Giant bikes are excellent value for the money. Mine is a Escape, so flat bar hybrid, but I think their road bikes are similarly good value. I havenít gotten much use out of mine lately, but I rode a bunch earlier in the year and am happy with it. I got mine brand new for very close to what a 5+ year old hybrid sells for on CL.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Way to go, lhamo!!!

Today's HC: Trying out a new counsellor. The one that's a great fit for my child is not a great fit for my own needs, so starting to shop for my own. Excited.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #864 on: May 22, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Ate a giant salad for lunch today, going to the farmer's market after work to get more green things + tasty salad toppers.

Only three more days until I leave for vacation! I've been feeling quite burned out and low-energy after a stressful spring at work, so I'm looking forward to recharging.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #865 on: May 22, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
Counsellor was a total dud, so I left. YAY!!!
Spent the whole nonsession walking and walking outdoors, except for a short break to connect with a favourite place and person.
Came home and immediately searched for another counsellor, sent inquiry there.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
I'm late to the party but WOW! That's a long ways. I'm impressed!

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #867 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
Went to bed on time for once last night. 

I've made it to the gym 3 times in the last week, and I'm riding my bike to work 2-3 days of my 4 day work-week.  It's only 5 miles round trip, but it's better than nothing :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #868 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
That's awesome, lhamo!

joon, good for you for walking out on the dud therapist. I've had therapists before where I totally should've done that.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #869 on: May 23, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
joon, good for you for walking out on the dud therapist. I've had therapists before where I totally should've done that.

Thanks, Tris :)    Had I actually gotten in with Dud, I probably wouldn't have gotten together the wherewithal to leave. I was lucky to have opportunity to leave before I got snagged. There were countless red flags, including after my decision. I'm confident the therapist seems nice or something, but I'm mortified for anyone going there. (Do they know any passerby can hear everything?) My experience changed my list of criteria -things I never thought I'd need on a list!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: May 24, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Went to the gym today even though I REALLY didn't feel like it.  Kind of halfassed my workout, but at least I moved my body!

Just bit the bullet and put a certain misogynistic fruit loop on ignore status.  NOT YOU MY DEAR JOONIE!  You are neither misogynistic nor fruit loopy, obviously, but didn't want to leave any room for ambiguity.  Anyway, decided that particular individual has consumed too much of my life energy already, no need to continue to watch the train wreck.  He's gonna do what he wants to do regardless of any input from this forum, and nothing we can do to mitigate the damages.  Feel sorry for his kids and any women who get within reach, though.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #871 on: May 24, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: May 25, 2018, 05:29:42 AM »
My healthy choice of the week is to ignore my neighbour on Facebook.  Yep - the person who lives right next door to us is obnoxious on Facebook during elections.  He is a crazy NDP supporter.  I am not.  I began advocating for another party as my fears about what we are doing to the planet have grown.  I have gotten more vocal mostly because I see my neighbour's actions and thought well, that is how one supports their political beliefs.  I decided that I had to speak up about the issues that I care about. 

So I have also started to share my beliefs and have hosted events to introduce the candidate that I really like to my other neighbours. A couple of weeks ago I did just that.  The attendees took all the signs I had in their excitement about my candidate to show their approval.  And we all kind of joked that it will piss off the NDPer.  And has it.   

The facebook nastiness got bad on the weekend. Last week he hosted a campaign event on a Friday evening during our typical neighbourhood happy hour time and only invited some of the neighbours on the happy hour list. Neighbours that didn't have a sign were all invited and were surprised to find out the invitations were selective.  A couple of them even came through our property to pick me up on their way next door.  One of them found that troubling and said well "that's really not cool".  I explained that he had been offended when I had invited him to an event in the past so I guess he felt this was the protocol.  But it wasn't right to have his thing at the same time we normally have a neighbourhood thing.

I only became a party member recently - and would likely drop my membership if policies were to change or I didn't know the local candidate or another party has a platform that I am more aligned with.  The only other time I bought a party membership was years ago to support proportional representation during a leadership process.  I have only been to one convention - because it was nearby (walking distance) and a couple of friends were going and presenting at it. So I would say I am not hardcore. But my neighbour is hardcore.  He wouldn't vote any other way and is aggressive in his advocacy.  And disrespectful to me on Facebook.  And this man has eaten at my table a dozen times.  And was very helpful regarding the nasty business with the board I was previously on.  So I am going to try and ignore him, like I did the last election.  But I won't exclude him from neighbourhood gatherings. 

So I find I need to chose people betterly.  (thanks to @jooniFLORisploo for giving me the language).

Another healthy thing is recognizing when someone is " going low" and so I can see where the high road is.

Man - I feel better articulating this and letting it go.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #873 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »
@lhamo and @Frugal Lizard, I love to see people excising nastiness from their lives. Setting boundaries around unpleasant people is such a freeing choice, even if the boundary is simply to stop allowing them to occupy emotional space that could be better spent on self-care/people who do not suck/gardening/petting dogs/making crafts/stargazing/literally anything else.

I am um, still working on that with the primary offender in my life. He sent me a snail-mail nastygram this week about how Democrats are traitors to the US. Thanks, Dad. Means a lot to hear how much you respect my closely-held personal and political beliefs around women's rights, civil rights, and the environment...

Leaving for vacation in 8 hours. This week has been chaotic and I've given myself the gift of redirecting time that would usually be spent exercising, towards life tasks like assembling camping gear, packing, laundry, deferred housework, taking a meal to a coworker who recently had a baby, a last-minute trip to REI, and 5 million individually insignificant little things that absolutely have to get done before we leave (paying rent, picking up medication for the dog, scheduling payment for electric bill, getting an extra travel-sized bottle for laundry detergent...). In retrospect I wish I'd fit in some yoga, but carving out time to collapse with a book and a cold beer at the end of the day has also been feeling very necessary. And also going to bed at 9:30, because I am a child. And it's straight into marathon training as soon as we get back. So Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #874 on: May 25, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »
a certain misogynistic fruit

I see what you did there!! ;) Sounds like an excellent plan. I noped out of that a while ago, assuming we're talking about the same individual.

I am back in bellydance class and loving it! Went last night, got a great workout, and it's impossible to ruminate about the bad shit in my life when I'm concentrating on making my abs and hips move in unnatural ways, haha.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #875 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »
@Frugal Lizard, I went through that too! Some years back. Within a friend group, one bunch ganged up on the rest to try to coerce us into voting their preference. We were all quite idealogical and political, heaps of shared values. But the bullying one we diverged on ;) 

I was really taken aback. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing these folks do with us. And I thought, "Gosh, do you realize you're a terrible ad for your party?? Also, if you can't act in accord with your loving values, your values are meaningless." I'm happy for conversation, hearing a point of view, reason, etc...But dictatorship, not so much.

They were concerned about a split vote, but another solution to that was for them to vote for the party WE were voting for. (Why can this only go one way?) If a party is so keen to represent issues, why isn't it working hard on a mutual agreement for one loving candidate per area, voting in solutions vs party?

The whole thing really opened my eyes. It changed my perspective on the people who relied on bullying, who insisted all of us (younger than them) grownups vote according to what they dictate, who refused to look at collaboration.

It made me stronger in my understanding of my values, got me working on a collaborative process for avoid vote-splitting, and had me permanently step back from the people who chose bullying.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #876 on: May 25, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
a certain misogynistic fruit

I see what you did there!! ;) Sounds like an excellent plan. I noped out of that a while ago, assuming we're talking about the same individual.

I am back in bellydance class and loving it! Went last night, got a great workout, and it's impossible to ruminate about the bad shit in my life when I'm concentrating on making my abs and hips move in unnatural ways, haha.

I hit ignore, too. Glad we're all insulating ourselves!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: May 25, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
I am new to this thread but wanted to chime in on hitting 'ignore' for the fruity journal.  Reminded me in some ways of my ex-husband. 

In more positive news, I found a weekly yoga class that I like at the local community centre.  So have been going there since April.  There is a Thursday morning before work class that I will be able to get to in the summer so will go for that too.   And my husband recently bought a bike, so on the weekend we go riding together.  It is way more fun to ride with someone else.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:07:11 PM by pachnik »

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 25, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
Just returned from a week away..2 days in an off-the-grid cabin sandwiched between the ocean and forest..then 4 days hiking in remote wilderness.
An opportunity to watch orcas hunt seals, be woken by the sound of whales breathing/blowing nearby and sweat more than I have in ages (carrying a full backpack increases the work factor exponentially!)

The week away from phone, computer and news was also good for the soul--might try to stay semi-unplugged for the next week and see how it feels.

Hope you are all having a beautiful day..or at least a few beautiful moments tucked amongst the normal ones.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:34:16 PM by Serendip »

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #879 on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Oh politics....and in Ontario now I would not touch it! 

Off to the doc tomorrow and will ask for an allergy test for casein and for whey.  I have a weird bump that needs checking and I fear the stupid time in my life when I smoked.  It was brief but I live in constant fear...

Breathing is still great.  Food is good and exercise is awesome. 

Happy weekend.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #880 on: May 26, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
The lump...an oil filled cyst...i will take it!  Should resolve itself in two months, if not itís surgical extraction
Relieved

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #881 on: May 26, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
I decided that I do not really like the culture at my work (gossipy, can't always tell how people really feel), and I decided that I should pay extra attention to what I say and my behavior to make sure I am not contributing to this culture I don't like. Noticed it also made me more cheerful overall. It's easy to feel negative when you're saying negative things. I used to think I was blowing off steam but I was doing more harm than good to myself and to my work environment.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: May 27, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
The lump...an oil filled cyst...i will take it!  Should resolve itself in two months, if not itís surgical extraction
Relieved

That sounds ouchy but glad it's not worse! Wishing you speedy recovery!

I squeezed in a make-up gym visit this morning before work and hit all my reps at this bench press weight (87.5 pounds) after missing three times in a row! So feeling STRONG! Stepmom couldn't come with me and I had a chance to exchange a few words with another of my gym buddies about how I have complicated feelings about working out with her. She's a good friend but it's complicated and sometimes it's helpful to stop and take a second to admit that exercising with the several-years-younger wife of one's ex-husband comes with some Feelings, y'know?

That shamey sign is still up and I was feeling pumped, so I stopped by the front desk and politely told them (as the comment card clearly hasn't done anything yet) that it's offensive.

Earlier this week I went wedding dress shopping and bought the most body-conforming dress I've ever owned. I'm 37. I'm certainly not "skinnier" than I was 20 years ago when I thought I was a li'l tubby,  but I have confidence. Spanx and confidence: A powerful combination.

@bucketsofrain -- This is hard to do but sooo valuable! Trying not to "complain" in general has been powerful for me. (Yeah, sometimes I still vent--sometimes I need this for processing--but I try not to spend too long in processing mode before deciding if this is something I need to address, or just live with.)

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #883 on: May 27, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
Put in 4 hours of hard work in 95 degree midday heat to get my off-site garden cleaned up. It was a good learning experience but Iím very glad to be done with it and have that task off my plate.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:04 PM »
-lake swim
-lunch with friends
-dinner out (with free gift certificates!)
-sun-basking with a book

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #885 on: May 27, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »
Healthy choice:

Rode bike to meetup with friends this evening (approx. 19 miles RT)

Questionably healthy choice:

Had two pints of beer.

Well, the latter was good for my mental health, especially when combined with the meetup with friends bit.  And I get some credit for the bike riding, too, right?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
Now that it's warm out I am craving veggies and salad so hard. I'm harvesting bucketfuls of lettuce and spinach out of the garden. I made tomato/corn/avocado salad this weekend and also roasted some peppers and portobellos and onions for veg tacos. We have a going-away lunch today for a co-worker and I am drooling over all the salads on their menu. Papaya, mango, greens, queso fresco and cilantro? Yum!

Like lhamo, though, I find it hard to resist the pull of an ice-cold beer (or two) on our back porch when it's hot out. Oh well. Mentally healthy choice!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Lhamo, I think 19 miles of biking and the relaxation cancels any potential negative from the two beers.

I am experimenting with not eating when I'm not hungry...because why am I eating when I don't seem to want food? I predict it won't work because our weird schedules combined with trying to have family meals together means that food is available when I'm not hungry and not available when I am. Grrrrrr. Someday I'm going to figure this out maybe? This has to be possible somehow right? I seriously need to get some weight off my joints!

Couch to half marathon training starts today for DH. He's doing the group I did last year, which ended up being a moderate disaster when my training was interrupted to take care of parents after my father's stroke plus my broken toe, and my exercise-induced asthma resurfacing. I'm bummed that my time to do this last summer was so disrupted and difficult. Hopefully DH will have a better experience. I'm hoping to play along and at least get better training and results than last year and trying not to be annoyed about things I couldn't control disrupting things before. Of course, I was up most of the night last night with a sick kid so my first run was on the treadmill in our basement and half asleep....not an auspicious start to the adventure. I hope it's not an omen...

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: May 29, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
My healthy choice has been to keep up my civic engagement activities.  A newish almost friend (we live near each other and share some interests) posted to her facebook that she likes "my candidate" on Saturday night.  I was surprised.  She has always been a firm Dipper or so I thought.  She popped by Sunday am to get some seedlings and seeds that I had promised her 6 weeks ago and mentioned she was at an event and met "my candidate" and was sold.  I said I wasn't aware that she was shopping for a new party.  She said she wasn't but really liked him so she was voting for him this time around.  I said I didn't want to invite anyone that might be offended to my meet the candidate event.  I apologized for not including her and she confessed that she had heard about it but couldn't attend.  She added that she knows me well enough to have invited herself if she would have been free.  I was flattered because I have been trying to cultivate my open and hospitable reputation.  I had say I am super careful about who I approach because of the first time I did and invited nasty neighbour, he was so rude.  I thought I had done something wrong.  She made a comment about some people are rabid blind party followers but she is not.  I felt so much better about the whole thing. 

Another neighbour asked me if I would help canvas our neighbourhood with her.  She has never canvassed or done any party work ever before for any party.  She said I'd be great at it.  So I screwed up my courage and talked to 11 people about "our candidate" tonight.  One guy wanted a lawn sign.  A couple of younger people needed to know how to register and one person wanted a button.  Another woman said she was going to vote for sure and possibly her husband.  Another woman said that she is now leaning towards voting because I had some very persuasive points.  It was actually lovely to chat with people.  A lot of people are undecided.  I accidentally rang a door bell before noticing that the household was strongly opposed - so I waited until they came to the door and opened with a profuse apology for disturbing them - and the fellow was so polite saying not to worry.  Only one person was really rude and slammed the door.  One woman was cagey but I forgot to start with my name and that I lived around the corner. 

So I walked a couple of blocks, had a number of really pleasant conversations with neighbours that are a little further afield, and felt pretty good about the effort.  I am so scared that Doug Ford is going to win a majority I have to do as much as I can to prevent it.  And that means the healthy choice for me is to put on my party shirt on and get out in the 'hood and talk to strangers about my beliefs.  Voting for something is not a wasted vote people.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #889 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Keeping up with all my healthy choices....gym, yoga, walking, eating well....
On Monday I went for some allergy tests and am anxiously waiting for the results.  Tested for whey, casein, cashews and threw in dog dander (I know there is an allergy, using it as test). Should have results soon...love getting them online!
Weather has cooled, very nice...it was just too hot for spring.
Mosquitoes are as nasty as I can ever remember....horrid.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
Interesting (for me anyways)....got my allergy results back
NO allergy to both casein and whey
No cashew allergy (yippee...just need to watch what they are cooked in as I have a severe peanut allergy)
High reaction to dog dander...but I knew that.  Must be used to our dog as she doesnít bother me.

So, placebo effect?   The asthma is so much better....still no meds, over a month.  I really donít intend to dive right back into dairy...but, if we are on holidays sometimes food is more difficult.  I want to know if eating dairy will trigger the breathing...
Need to think this through.  Hubby can see how much better I am and does not want me to touch the stuff.
Even though there is no allergy I could still be sensitive to dairy. 

Besides all that I keep on keepin on...
Gonna have a cashew party.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #891 on: June 01, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
It was too hot to walk on my lunch break today but I went up and down the stairs for 10 minutes, and then after I ate I did another 10 minutes of pacing around the office listening to a work-related podcast.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #892 on: June 01, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Let DH talk me into riding to the bike shop today -- 10 miles out, much of it uphill, and 13 miles back via a different route that included an AWESOME 3-4 mile stretch on a downhill that felt like we were up in the mountains somewhere.   The uphill part was really hard at first, but got easier.  My bike DOES NOT fit me, though.   Having a hard time finding touring bikes with smaller frames in stock, which is a pain.

I think I will probably enjoy biking more once I have a bike that really fits, though.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #893 on: June 03, 2018, 05:52:27 AM »
Yesterday I ran to and from a day of volunteering at a sports club. I brought a change of clothes and little towel in a running backpack that I hadn't used in years. Today I'll do it again. I'm starting to feel like my old, fit self! 

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #894 on: June 03, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
My healthy choice has been to keep up my civic engagement activities.

Good work Frugal Lizard! This is important stuff, even if uncomfortable at times.
We attended a small protest yesterday and that seemed healthy, even if we could only go for a short period of time.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #895 on: June 03, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
Good job everyone, love reading these updates.

I've been continuing my cold-water dipping, almost every single day. Someone recently exclaimed "I can't believe it's already June" and my immediate response was "I already feel like I've had a great summer"  !!

Being down by the lake so regularly has made it feel like there is a specific connection to the water which I normally only get during long summer days. More challenging since it's cold water, but the season feels like it's been elongated by months.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:41:39 AM by Serendip »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #896 on: June 03, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
12 mile hike today, solo. Good time.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #897 on: June 04, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
Could use some hive mind input as to which is the healthier choice:

My work schedule has changed - we get summer Fridays, every other Friday off. To earn the time off, we have to work more all other days to make up the time. So, it's essentially flex time, not additional PTO. I've made some travel plans on 2 of the 5 Fridays that I get so I don't want to opt out.

Last year, I decided I preferred to come in earlier rather than stay later. Otherwise, work eats too much into my evening gardening time, which is important for my mental health.

The problem: Last year I wasn't concerned with what I ate or how much, at all. This year I'm finding that getting up an hour earlier, and thus eating breakfast earlier, is causing me to be constantly hangry, again. This had gotten much better with the warmer weather, recently, but lack of sleep is a big hanger trigger for me, and I'm also battling insomnia lately.

I try to put off breakfast when I get into work, but I find I can't concentrate on the barrage of emails that comes in overnight when my stomach's growling; I am pretty dumb when I'm on an empty stomach. It's 9:43 a.m. right now, I ate my usual overnight oats - still starving. Found half of a Larabar in my desk, ate that - still starving. Lunch is more than 2 hours away and I don't have any other snacks on me. I'd been doing fine with the hunger recently so this is obviously due to less sleep and eating earlier.

The logical solution is to stop coming in early and start staying later, but that means gardening less, having less time to cook food and get errands done, generally feeling more pressed for time in a way I don't feel when I go to work earlier. Going to bed earlier doesn't feel like a solution because of the insomnia; I'll just lie there for longer.

Ugh. What do?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: June 04, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »
Having woken up at 4:54 this morning and needing a nap from early fresh air campaigning for an hour and making poor food choices an hour ago I am somewhat dead weight in the hive at the moment. 

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: June 04, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
Can you eat something with more protein?  I could not function on a carb-focused breakfast, either.