Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 75381 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #750 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »
When I genuinely needed some help, and not asking for it would have been a profound exercise in life stupidity, I used a telephone and asked a new friend for help. She came through big time, and all is well!

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #751 on: April 26, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
Im remaining calm, despite the fluctuations on the scale.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #752 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »
I let myself get sucked into a situation because I care passionately about my community and I wanted to help arm some activists.  A friend supported me on this but the effect was to  involve me deeper.  And it happened to further highlight the shortcomings of the leadership on the board I quit.  Without checking the entire CC list, the president of the board attempted to discount my concerns as my "obvious personal dislike of " him.  Whoah.  I am so emotional and lacking in critical ability? I am very sensitive about my integrity and intellectual ability. And the misogynist undertones on the board are alive and well. 
I have stepped back from advocating publicly on the issue at hand and sought council from my older and wiser neighbours and friends who have said nice things about me and told me not to heed him. But really it wasn't about me. Really what happened was the jerk reconfirmed his jerkiness. 
Still I have lost sleep over this.  And awoken with bad dreams.  I don't endure contact with narcissists easily.
What is the healthiest choice?  Do I hide in the background and stop advocating for what I believe in or do I continue to be a public advocate and develop a thicker skin?

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #753 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:59 AM »
Delicious rabbit sausage and homegrown eggs for breakfast this week. Been doing a lot of heavy lifting on a homestead project so all this lean protein will be great for my muscles. My body is increasingly happier with more protein and a bit less fat, which makes me an odd duck in the keto groups Iím in.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2018, 07:17:32 AM »
Frugal Lizard, that sounds really hard :(       I would be all aítizzy with that too. I hate when people behave that way. Itís rude, manipulative, immature, unprofessional, and jerky. Youíre right that what he really did was demonstrate the issues and affirm your insight and decision, yet his behaviour can still feel frustrating and demoralizing.

What the healthy choice is *for you* in this situation, only you can know.

Personally, Iíd be outta there. I very recently left a committee whose work I was (am) very keen on, because of the leaderís behaviours. In that case, this was the healthy decision for me. Spending any more time (even email time) with a person who was as arrogant as this leader would not have been healthy for me.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #755 on: April 26, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »
Frugal Lizard, that sounds really hard :(       I would be all aítizzy with that too. I hate when people behave that way. Itís rude, manipulative, immature, unprofessional, and jerky. Youíre right that what he really did was demonstrate the issues and affirm your insight and decision, yet his behaviour can still feel frustrating and demoralizing.

Yes - I am a'tizzy - and it has been a week! Thank you for the word.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #756 on: April 26, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Running has been feeling really good lately: we've had great weather and it's been a pleasure to get out the door. I should probably start wearing a watch soon to see how my pace is looking, since my marathon training group starts in June and I need to submit that information to be placed in a pace group. But I don't want to! I like going off of feel and avoiding the flicker of number-induced pressure.

I think another woman in my unofficial running group is doing the marathon too, which will be nice--we're still trying to convince our third musketeer to join, and I'm hoping that she will. My boyfriend is also signed up, and one of his college teammates will be in town over the summer so they're going to run together. This will be a summer full of running.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: April 26, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
Frugal Lizard, that is really tough, especially when you truly want to advocate for a good cause and people are undermining you needlessly. I understand the frustration.  If I was in that situation (and if I genuinely cared to continue), I would channel that frustration into learning how to communicate more effectively with such people, although I am sure you are probably behaving already with dignity and strength. These people sound like the "Type A" personalities, and it takes persistence to continue to deal with them, and it sounds like it could almost turn into some sort of infuriating game, where you almost need to prove yourself to them, that you're as tough as they or tougher and not-gonna-back-down type of stuff.  However, it's important to note that people/the situation may not even change no matter how hard you try or whatever best practices you might employee in speaking with these people, and in that case, the healthier choice is to leave.  You don't "need" to put yourself in such a stressful situation, and I'm sure there is another cause that needs your help that you might turn your attention to.  My partner is an attorney and was in a similar situation a couple times, especially recently. I supported the decision to leave every time because despite his best efforts, things didn't change.  It's not a bad thing to quit.  It takes a lot of strength to quit something and recognize that you are doing something better for you. You do come first, after all.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: April 26, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »
@imadandylion   Thank you for your encouraging words. 
Sometimes I think it would be just so much easier if I wasn't so sensitive or empathic.   But then I realized, caring is one of my gifts.   My neighbour greeted me this morning with a hug.  And asked how I was by the nickname she calls me 'our Neighbourhood Sunshine.'

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #759 on: April 26, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »
It sounds like you have the right attitude! Definitely focus on your gifts and strengths instead of seeing qualities such as empathy and caring as weaknesses or something you need to "improve" on because without these strengths you may not have earned such a nickname. :)  Have you ever read Strengths Finder? I didn't personally read it but my partner and thought it was helpful. It's one of those books that break out people into 4 personality types and how to work with people. It might be worth a skim!

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #760 on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »
Hugs to all...dealing with people can often be the hardest thing.

Healthy choices
-still dairy free
- good food...but slipping a little with treats.  Although they would be considered a healthy treat, they are still treats.
-gym...bike, abs, yoga class
-walk with friend
-walk to lake with hubs and dog.  So nice!
-dug up old plants from garden...one batch of ornamental grass was host to an ants nest...nasty little bitters.
-did my Costco ship in the evening.  Awesome.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #761 on: April 26, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
It takes a lot of strength to quit something...

Well said, imadandylion.

The one I recently quit, the person is running quite well on her own (hence the arrogance), but had actively recruited help so I agreed. Over the course of months she made clear that she was going to continue doing everything solo, and we were to do things like rearrange chairs for her. Uh... 

For me, the last straw was one more little detail that made clear she intended to continue doing everything herself, despite having a strong team of super capable people. It was dismissive and martyr-y.

I'm perfectly happy to let her have the project! I have lots of other groovy things to do :)     There are places that need more help than adjusting a line of chairs, and that are able to recognize and use the experience in their midst.

Yes, Frugal Lizard, lots of places would benefit from your gifts!

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #762 on: April 26, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »
I had one slip up day in the past week, but overall have been eating WAY more veggies than before. Did a ton of meal planning yesterday to make sure that I have filling and veggie-ful meals for the week (bean tacos for breakfast, spinach falafel and farro for lunch, and huge salads for dinner).

Did yoga three times in four days (my goal was 3x/week). I actually felt motivated to do it this morning, even though I could have put it off until tomorrow and still hit my goal. I spend a lot of time on my feet, so the stretching involved in my beginner's yoga Youtube videos feels super nice.

Third day in a row with no booze at night. Substituting a turmeric tea soda water concoction l made. I always feel anxious the day after I drink, so this is a good change.

Started seeing a new therapist on Tuesday after stopping in August. Feel good about it.

Looked up possible causes for a very annoying medical condition that no doctor has accurately been able to diagnose. Has a safe and super cheap treatment that won't cause harm if it turns out this isn't the cause. Feel the most (physical and emotional) relief I've felt in months.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: April 26, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »
Feel the most (physical and emotional) relief I've felt in months.

Wonderful, buckets!!! You've been doing so much great self-care lately :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »
*Slept extremely late

*Took myself out to a wonderful, soothing, nurturing place for replenishment of every kind

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2018, 06:02:31 AM »
I have signed up to do the West Highland Way, a 96 mile walk over 5 days through the Highlands of Scotland for charity next year:

https://www.westhighlandway.org/

I have a year to get my arse in gear (and smaller) and get fit!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2018, 07:10:46 AM »
Thanks everyone - a little empathy from internet strangers following a short rant helped me over the edge to the other side of recovery of this unpleasantness. I have already resigned from the board - in January and just found out another board member has also resigned.

I had a quiet evening last night.  My son rode his bike to a friends where he stayed the night.  Daughter attended an event that is the first meeting of a social justice through art club.  She was the youngest person there but I encouraged her to go and just observe.  She ended up walking home with one the older girls in our neighbourhood that she would be friends with if they were the same age. The quiet made me happy and the kids having busy lives made me happy too.

I read, listened to podcasts and watched the sunset.  It was very restorative.  And my mind wandered as it will.

I also decided that I have to keep doing my thoughtful, informed advocacy.  I have to keep listening and learning to make sound judgements of the facts.  I have to keep questioning and sometimes that may lead me to the less popular or a more nuanced position. I have to keep confident that I have done the best job I can in forming that understanding. 
And if I care passionately about something I can't keep quiet.  And others may want to silence me.  And maybe that is a sign that I am having an impact.  And above all, I don't want to be a coward.  I now know a little bit more about what I can tolerate and what I find difficult.  So onward I go.

I think this is the healthiest choice for me.  Thank you all once again.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
I have signed up to do the West Highland Way, a 96 mile walk over 5 days through the Highlands of Scotland for charity next year:

Wow, that sounds like an amazing adventure!

Healthy choices today
-Not quite dairy free...a bit of butter in some gluten free shortbread cookies....canít get palm oil here.  Will be used as a base for some paleo lemon curd...yum
-good food
-gym....treadmill and upper body weights...excellent workout
-walk with friend
-dug in the garden, did some edging and cleaning
- made above mentioned cookies and lemon curd
-wandered aimlessly through the garden centre....love all the plants

Sadly the dog does not have a bladder infection.  This means more tests...X-rays and ultra sound next week to find where the blood is coming from.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
I just spent 6 days in London and I got in more than 20,000 steps each day. My highest was 26-something. Or, 11 miles. In one day. Whew!

I did NOT diet or avoid carbs and sugar and booze while on vacation, however. I drank beer in a pub and ate deep fried roasted garlic cloves and at one point had what was literally a big ball of vegan cookie dough with choice of toppings mixed in. I did do my best to stay mindful of whether I was hungry or full, but my body clock never did really get onto London time and I think as a result, I very rarely felt hungry. I was mostly eating because I knew my body needed fuel for all that walking, rather than because my stomach was growling.

Also, my water consumption was way down because I was so afraid I'd have to pee and not be able to find a ladies' room. They have pay toilets over there, which is great except for when you've got no change on you (and many require exact change). Some take credit cards, though, huh.

Anyway, hopefully everything all evens out in the end. That's easily more than double the amount of walking I do normally. And today I'm back on the wagon. I have lots of containers of stuff I cooked, in the freezer and ready to just heat and eat.

Today I worked a lot in the garden, prepping the community garden bed. I should have some greens ready for harvest soon, that are in pots on my back porch. More salad! Hooray!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2018, 11:42:44 PM »
Tonight I did a parenting growth spurt! It took all my courage and strength. Kid was 100% good to go; sometimes the developmental spurt is the parent's: trust, new steps, yadda. YAY!! Feel like I bungee jumped or something :)

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #770 on: April 29, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
- Doing *really* good on the reduction of processed foods front this past week!  There were a couple days I had noodles, but I limited it to one at least. The other day we ate a good, big healthy & wholesome dinner before going out for drinks and bar hopping. I had two drinks and didn't order food - didn't have to because the menu options seemed mighty unappealing and we were still full and going strong. :D Plus it was way overpriced and when people got their food, they didn't seem too thrilled about them.  A win for healthy choices (for my wallet, too!) that night, except the drinks, but I hardly go out and do that type of thing.

- Making my own vegetable stock today from various kitchen scraps I have collected in the freezer for a vegetable soup and it smells really good in here. Winging it, but it's going to have kale, navy beans, and san marzano tomatos in it. Annnnd I soaked the beans overnight, a new thing I'm trying to do instead of buying canned beans because I believe it's technically somewhat more inexpensive? And having to cook them in a big batch means having more beans around and encourages me to use them ASAP.

@Tris Prior Wow, so many steps!! Great job!  I wish I had a community garden bed, but the ones around here have a 3-4 year waitlist.  When I did once, it was relaxing and joyful, and a good way to get plenty of sun.  But I am trying to increase the amount of herbs I grow at home at least. Just set some basil cuttings in water to propagate new basil babes!

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: April 29, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
Rainy day...but thatís ok as I spread some grass seed yesterday so I didnít have to worry about watering.

Healthy choices
-Dairy free.  Had two small gluten free cookies yesterday, knowing I had used butter.  Oddly, and maybe coincidentally, my asthma was bad last night.  No more...I have got to get this figured out and am thinking of seeing my doc about getting an allergy test for casein.
-good food (ok, except for the cookies)
-Saturday gym was a bike ride and abs, today was treadmill and legs.
-walk both days with friend
-gardening yesterday
-painting today
-great chat with son and DIL

Sun is returning tomorrow so more gardening!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2018, 09:20:24 PM »
Ate and slept, ate and slept, ate and slept.

Watched comedy and laughed aloud.

Beíd with people, lots of hugs and touch and positive ideas.

Sang and made music.

Visited my garden, touched it and talked with it and basked in it.

Strategically sidled up with a new neighbour to get to know her, had a very wonderful time with her.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
Laughing out loud is The Best!

Today I had flowers delivered to the house...odd.  When they got here the card read...happy belated birthday sister.  I KNOW none of my brother s would ever send me flowers.  Who on earth sent them?  They were in my name.  Mystery...I am thinking one of my SILs.  Love a good mystery.

Healthy choices
-once again no dairy
-continued good food
-filed a load of paperwork!
-walked with friend
-gym...treadmill and upper body
-called the company I have booked a trip to India with.  Needed some clarification on a few things that I have been worried about.  Feeling more in control now.  Spent a good portion of the day researching the hotels, the tours, what is nearby on free days...so fun.  And then weíre going to Kathmandu...itís really, really, really where Iím going to, and if I ever get out of here, Iím going to Kathmandu.(had to get that out of my system)
-bought hubs a mason bee house....heís so happy

Yoga class tomorrow...love my yoga classes.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: April 30, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »
Today I had flowers delivered to the house...

:)))))))

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #775 on: April 30, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »
Worked very hard at a number of things from 730am-330pm, and had another shift to do 530-8, so between those I retreated to my beautiful sanctuary of a bedroom and rested deeply. Ideally I do this daily. It works wonders. This is my first time in many years having a bedroom separate from my "living" area, and I'm still getting used to having a space to only rest in. It's wonderful and effective.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #776 on: May 01, 2018, 07:48:13 AM »

I talk to my plants too. Last night I went over to the pepper and basil plants that are happily growing under the grow light, and told them they were doing a great job and looked strong and healthy. One of them is outgrowing its pot and I found myself saying, "oh, you poor thing, you really need some more room, don't you? I'll repot you tomorrow, would you like that?" Then I realized I sounded insane, haha.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #777 on: May 01, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Healthy choices today:
 - black coffee (1 cup)
 - cutting down on carbs, so only one piece of squirrely bread today with natural peanut butter
 - the rest of my food was protein, good fats, vegs.
 - was having a sweet craving after dinner, so had a couple of spoonfuls of sorbet, but not a whole bowl like I would've in the past (or something even more sugary).
 - Had my Coke Zero with a fresh lime after work. This is a hard habit to break.
 - Heading out for my walk as soon as I post this.

I'm a recovering Diet Soda addict.  Coke, pepsi, didn't matter.  I switched to Pepsi to avoid the Aspartame a year ago, but still drank tons of diet coke at McD. 

So...10 days ago I dropped it cold turkey.  Turns out it was mostly psychological.  I don't drink coffee, so diet soda was my caffeine fix.  I replaced it with hot, unsweetened loose leaf green tea in the morning.  the rest of the day I drink nothing but water.  I still get the craving to have it with some salty chips/pretzels...so I gave those up as well (temporarily).

Just saying - it's possible.  I also keep telling myself that diet soda is 'rat poison' - and painting it as poison in my head is the same as how I view smoking or drinking alcohol. 

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: May 01, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

I talk to my plants too. Last night I went over to the pepper and basil plants that are happily growing under the grow light, and told them they were doing a great job and looked strong and healthy. One of them is outgrowing its pot and I found myself saying, "oh, you poor thing, you really need some more room, don't you? I'll repot you tomorrow, would you like that?" Then I realized I sounded insane, haha.
I love company in my world where plants hear what say.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #779 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Tris, to me you sound only delightful in this :)
Your plants are lucky to have you!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #780 on: May 01, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
Was so hungry by 1130am but was in the midst of a bunch of stuff, so I made this: microwaved meatballs + salsa + fresh avocado. YUM!!!!!!!!!! Three minutes!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
Awwww, thanks, Joon. I think I've transferred my sweet-talk habit to my plants since I no longer have a cat at the moment, hahaha.

I think my body is finally back on local time - I actually slept last night from around midnight until 7 a.m. with only one wakeup at 5, which is very good for me. But I'm having some trouble getting back on the healthy food choices. I did not watch what I ate at all when I was on vacation and I don't feel bad about that at all, but vacation is now over and I feel like I've completely forgotten how to do this - meal planning, portion control, etc. Last night I went to the Chicago MMM meetup, which was at a bar, and I had a beer and a greasy fried appetizer (sweet potato tater tots, which I didn't even finish, so I guess that was a healthy choice?).

After a week's vacation my homecooked portions of healthy food just look sad! I also have had alcohol for the past 3 days in a row (only 1 drink each day, in fact less than that one day because I didn't finish my glass of wine), which really needs to stop.

On the plus side, it's warm out and I am SO much less hangry. It's pretty obvious that there is a correlation between cold temps and being ravenous, for me. Now just have to figure out how to deal with it considering that I live somewhere where it's freezing for 6 months out of the year.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: May 01, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
Good work everyone, I love reading the little updates on this thread

May is going to be a good one, I can feel it :)

Today's healthy choices
-made celery & apple juice in my blender  (just strained it through a nutmylk bag--easiest thing ever and so fresh)
-bought spring greens from a local farmer, freshly picked this morning--amazing time of year
-harvested nettle, maple blossoms and going out again this week to forage for more, maybe elderflowers for tea
-daily dip in the lake
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:09:05 PM by Serendip »

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #783 on: May 01, 2018, 08:30:09 PM »
@Serendip You're so lucky to be able to swim in a lake regularly! I have only done that once in my life. So far. :) Can't wait for the local pool to open up...

Not feeling super great right now.  Usually I don't like to eat free food but they actually had something vegetarian/vegan for once at the staff meeting and I know the ladies in charge were probably trying really hard to find something good for all the vegetarian eaters at work because they kept asking me about it, so I had it yesterday. But then I made the mistake of eating it again this afternoon because I enjoyed it, but the problem is I forgot they usually leave out the leftovers in the break room since noon because they put it out for lunch for everyone, and I had some about half an hour before I left work this because I was a little hungry and knew I was going to go for a run right after and needed a little energy.  So now I'm feeling kind of... gassy. So yeah - always turn down stuff in the break room when you can, lol.

Otherwise, doing pretty good on the reduction/omission of processed foods and it shows on the scale, finally!

Also, I realized it's been 7 weeks since I started working out again regularly 5-6 days a week, and I haven't missed a day. :) I like consistency and routine, so this makes me happy. I purchased another Fitness Blender program and scheduled that after the 8th week, next week - one that involves a bit more HIIT.

Yesterday, I went for a jog for the first time since December 3, 2017 and while I was tired as all hell, I did not stop, and my pace was the same as where I left off! Went for another jog today and it was exactly the same (yep, still tired as all hell). Going to try to take these 20 minute jogs longer as the weeks go by. Especially on the off-chance I might run a team relay race in July with coworkers.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: May 01, 2018, 09:44:13 PM »
agreed @imadandylion --I appreciate my good fortune!
I have always have been around lakes & rivers--it's a requisite for me to have access and thankfully my current home is surrounded by these clean waters.

Hope your pool opens up soon and you get more opportunities to experience wild-swimming  :)

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #785 on: May 02, 2018, 05:57:11 AM »
I was pretty obnoxiously healthy yesterday: signed up for a marathon; grain/greens bowl for lunch (brown rice, kale/shaved brussels sprouts, falafel, roasted veggies, cucumbers); went to the farmer's market (first strawberries of the year, greens, baby zucchini and yellow squash plants); had social time with a friend doing free community yoga in the park; long walk with the dog; salad for dinner (spinach, sauteed chickpeas, some shaved pecorino, and those absolutely divine strawberries); bed before 10.

It was a lovely day.

I've got two healthy goals for today: 1) go outside and read on my lunch break, 2) run this afternoon even though it's supposed to be 90 degrees. My body is really, really bad at adjusting to running in hot weather, so it's going to be miserable, even though I'm going to go super-slow and only do like 2 miles.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: May 02, 2018, 06:19:36 AM »
I got myself to bed at 9:45.  I didn't want to go too early - and wake up again before 4am for the day.  But I was beat from being awake from before 4am. 
I gardened outside until dark and then read/ played on forums. 
I awoke at 5 for a bathroom break and was able to fall back asleep until 7:41. 
I think I might paint the house today.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #787 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
Now that it's warm out, drinking herbal tea at night when I want to eat something or drink a glass of wine isn't working for me. I don't like iced tea (and, TMI alert, iced tea  or iced decaf coffee makes me pee like a racehorse so I do not want to have it before bed and then be up all night peeing). I'm going to need to find something else to try, besides just plain water so that I can convince myself it is a treat, that doesn't have any calories. I'm out of ideas. Everything I can think of has at least some calories, or has artificial sweetener which I also want to avoid.

Yesterday I had a big salad that was almost entirely made of greens that I grew! Spinach, chard, and arugula. I love this time of year; I eat way more vegetables, and greens in particular, because they're coming out of my garden by the bucketful and I hate wasting them.

I've taken a long walk at lunch the past 2 days (helps that my boss has been off sick so nobody to watch me if I go over my lunch by 5 or 10 minutes) and will do the same today assuming the storms hold off.

And... today I am back to hangry. Ate breakfast and it may as well have been air for all the good it did me. Why? It's not cold out. PMS, maybe? I am really determined to get to the bottom of why some days I am fine and other days my stomach is constantly growling.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #788 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
Tris, cool/cold drinks I like:
*sparkling lemon-lime water
*cold herbal teas (infuse hot or in the sun, then store in fridge)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #789 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
@fluffmuffin -sounds like a fantastic day

@Tris Prior --that's so great you have greens already! Still a few weeks until I can get my own from the garden but have been foraging for wild greens.

I agree with @jooniFLORisploo about making herbal infusions and cooling them, it's a great summer option.
Sometimes before bed, I fill a teapot with loose mint & hibiscus  (or whatever combo I am making, lavender/clover, sage/rosemary) and let it steep overnight, then pop it in the fridge in the morning.
Can be mixed with sparkling water (half & half) for a bubbles in the evening if you like.

Healthy choice today

-been playing with savoury breakfast options and this morning was the best
Buckwheat noodles, roasted yam with shallots, nettle, arugula and basil, topped with ginger peanut sauce.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #790 on: May 02, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
I made a new spreadsheet to answer a question that was bugging me. The answer was surprising (in a bad way) but it makes sense and gives me a new goal to work for and brackets out an excuse/imperfect data. It also gets the question loop out of my brain so I can go back to focusing on other stuff :)

Details are in my journal but the topic may offend some folks so I wonít post what the question was

Spoiler: show
itís about the cost of raising rabbits for meat

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #791 on: May 02, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
@Serendip It sounds like you chose your living environments well. :)  I've been mostly a slave to living around wherever my job is (I guess most people are...). Now that I've relocated to an urban center, it's a lot easier for me to get around without a car in daily life, and I've been enjoying that.  Eventually, I'd love to be able to make the healthy living choice to relocate somewhere that I choose that makes ME happy and has [almost] nothing to do with a job.  Somewhere like Portland - it actually has a forest in the middle of it, and I still wouldn't need a car!  Just more motivation to gain financial independence.  I absolutely abhor cars, driving, the costs related to it (insurance, maintenance, fuel, registration, etc.), the dangers of being around them (a family friend got into a fatal accident last week... really sad), and generally how RUDE and impatient drivers are as a whole, especially to pedestrians and cyclists who are also trying to get around.  It truly makes me stabby, I could rant and ramble about it but that's not healthy. :/  Soo... healthy choice of the day? Choosing to go jogging later in the evening instead of just off work, in the hopes that there is less "rush hour" traffic to stress me out when I'm trying to jog across neighborhood intersections. Biking is healthier (for my commute), but I'm kind of afraid of the INSANE, careless drivers on the road around here.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: May 02, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
I did my strength training workout even though it is hotter than hell in my apartment right now. 86 degrees in Chicago in May? WTF? And our window ACunits are of course not in yet because, y'know, MAY, and it's gonna be back down to 50 in a couple days anyway. Still: oof. I sweated a lot.

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #793 on: May 02, 2018, 08:50:55 PM »
I agree with @jooniFLORisploo about making herbal infusions and cooling them, it's a great summer option.
Sometimes before bed, I fill a teapot with loose mint & hibiscus  (or whatever combo I am making, lavender/clover, sage/rosemary) and let it steep overnight, then pop it in the fridge in the morning.
Can be mixed with sparkling water (half & half) for a bubbles in the evening if you like.

Yeah, I have been loving making a tea "concentrate" by steeping herbal tea at about 4x the strength until it cools down. Then I fill maybe two inches of a glass with that and top the rest with seltzer water.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #794 on: May 02, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
It's very funny that I listed cold herbal teas and sparkling water...and it never occurred to me to mix them together, lol! I'll definitely be giving that a go!

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: May 03, 2018, 12:59:15 PM »

Just looked at the gallery pics - oh wow Nicky, definitely worth getting ones arse in gear for. We're contemplating a trip to Ireland/Scotland/Isle of Skye next year - what a beautiful place. I'd love to do a couple of short hikes. Would July-August be a good time to go?
Definitely need some good hiking boots, maybe we could break them in in Tennessee or North Carolina this year.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #796 on: May 03, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »

I also decided that I have to keep doing my thoughtful, informed advocacy.  I have to keep listening and learning to make sound judgements of the facts.  I have to keep questioning and sometimes that may lead me to the less popular or a more nuanced position. I have to keep confident that I have done the best job I can in forming that understanding. 
And if I care passionately about something I can't keep quiet.  And others may want to silence me.  And maybe that is a sign that I am having an impact.  And above all, I don't want to be a coward.  I now know a little bit more about what I can tolerate and what I find difficult.  So onward I go.

I think this is the healthiest choice for me.

@Frugal Lizard, I strongly agree! 

Most attacks that resist your advocacy are reactions.  They fade away if you fight back.  As an empath, there is a cost and you get to decide which fights to pick, but it's often worth persisting.  I have no doubt that the world is a better place when you add your piece to the stew.  You yourself will continue to grow stronger every time you exercise your courage.  More power to you. 

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #797 on: May 03, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Oh, my aching back....but st least the gardens are done!

Doing very well on the dairy free journey...but I was till eating my morning muffins that were made with whey isolate protein powder.  I decided that I need to do full on (no idea why...just seems fair) dairy free...so I just made my muffins with the dreaded vegan protein powder.  First, even with extra baking they seem undercooked.  A piece fell off one so I tried it...ewww.  Oh well, I will get used to the taste and itís only two weeks worth.  They are super healthy...pumpkin, coconut oil, almond flour, spices, one egg, applesauce...and protein powder.

Healthy choices
-awesome food and dairy free....paleo diet heavy on fruit and veg
-gym...today was advanced yoga class, yummy
-walk with friend...a therapy walk for her as she had some stuff she just needed to talk about.  Always happy to lend an ear.
-digging in the garden
-my favourite...hosing down things
-muffin making

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »

I think this is the healthiest choice for me.

@Frugal Lizard, I strongly agree! 

Most attacks that resist your advocacy are reactions.  They fade away if you fight back.  As an empath, there is a cost and you get to decide which fights to pick, but it's often worth persisting.  I have no doubt that the world is a better place when you add your piece to the stew.  You yourself will continue to grow stronger every time you exercise your courage.  More power to you.

Thank you @Bicycle_B 

A couple of community members have made an effort to say something to me in support. And an acquaintance said she needed to ask me some questions to help understand an issue so all in all I am feeling my efforts are appreciated.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #799 on: May 03, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
Rested deeply all day.