Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 76323 times)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2018, 08:14:16 AM »
My computer time at work has ramped up a lot. My healthy choice recently is to spend less personal time on the computer. It will be easier once it's actually spring and I don't feel the impulse to just sit and browse forums instead of shoveling snow ;)

I too have been spending WAY too much time on the computer for personal reasons, specifically because it is cold and snowy and disgusting out. In April. Normally I'd be doing garden work and would be feeling incredibly happy and productive.

I am having a very difficult time coping with this weather and I am not sure how to change my attitude about it when it is putting me so far behind and making it impossible to do many things that are good for my physical and mental heath. For those of you like me who are STILL in a deep freeze, what are you doing to be less miserable about not having spring? I mean, when it's freezing in February I can convince myself that, OK, this is normal for this time of year, I'm going to fix a hot drink and some soup or chili and have a cozy night in. That's a harder sell in mid-April when I should've been able to start the garden already!

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »
My body is so done with this weather. I've been so fatigued!

Are there any indoor arboretum type places near you? We have one in St Paul and that's been a lifesaver for a lot of my friends in the past month (I haven't managed to get over there yet).

My other go-to is a large garden store with an indoor plant section bordered by a coffee shop. It feels a little more store-like than the arboretum but it smells like summer, and is nice and humid and warm, and that's what counts for me :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:55 AM »
My body is so done with this weather. I've been so fatigued!

Are there any indoor arboretum type places near you? We have one in St Paul and that's been a lifesaver for a lot of my friends in the past month (I haven't managed to get over there yet).

My other go-to is a large garden store with an indoor plant section bordered by a coffee shop. It feels a little more store-like than the arboretum but it smells like summer, and is nice and humid and warm, and that's what counts for me :)

I did spend some time in the tropical plants greenhouse in my garden center, when I went there over the weekend in the 30s and rain (at least not snow at that point?) to haul the wet and ice-cold bags of soil and compost I needed. That was nice. We do have a conservatory but it's a long ride on public transport, on the other end of the city from me, and I haven't had the time.

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
I've been thinking about our American culture's unhealthy obsession with perfection.  Especially as it relates to women.  We're supposed to look perfect, from head to toe; our homes are supposed to look perfect from top to bottom, etc. 

We used to have a very small kitchen and we took down walls to open it up and in the process moved a bunch of cabinets.  As a result, our ceiling and some of our walls in that room look 'blemished' if you will.  Dh really wants to get that fixed and I got a quote from a contractor and the project was priced at $1600 to retexture a 10'x15' ceiling and one and a half upper walls.  No way I was going to pay that.  I've convinced dh that we can use ship lap or beadboard to cover up the blemished wall and ceiling sections ourselves. 

But really, why does everything have to be so perfect?  Our homes are meant to be lived in and used, and naturally will show some wear and tear over the years.  This is a 55 year old house.  It has evolved over time to be more functional for how we live.  Do we really need to erase all evidence of the changes and evolution?

Most people would say that the time, effort and cost to make the cosmetic changes is worth it to have everything look "nice."  I'm not sure.  And I'm aware that one change leads to another, and then you never really finish and get to just relax.  We now have some patch work in every room because our heating vents were moved from the wall to the ceiling.  An eyesore, some would call it.  Am I supposed to go through and retexture every wall now? 

Learning to live with imperfections and empty spaces feels like a healthy goal.  Both in our environment and in ourselves.  I just watched a lovely movie about Irish landscape designer Mary Reynolds and her quest to bring the wild back into home gardens.  This quest for perfection that we've adopted seems like a battle against nature itself.  Do I want to be perfect or happy?  I somehow sense that the two are diametrically opposed.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Jane x
Interesting.  I am, sadly, one of those people who hates things out of place or needing to be perfect.  My son is the opposite.  He has the ceiling that, I think, needs refinishing...he couldnít care less.  Whatever makes you happy...
The personal perfection thing...like looks, weight, clothes...that is different, IMO.  I had my gym friend tell me today that I looked too skinny.  WTF!  I am thin, my dad was thin...itís a family thing.  I lift heavy, eat lots...but I just donít get big.  I have always been the skinny girl.  I would never, ever, tell someone they were fat or thin...it really upset me.  I work really hard at staying healthy, keeping bone mass good and my pancreas happy.  I lost the genetic lottery so I really work hard at keeping ahead of the game.

Anyways...my healthy choices today
Still dairy free
Gym...treamilll, abs and yoga class
Walk with friend
Got some banking done, reviewed travel money as we have two big trips coming up this year
Healthy lunch and breakfast.
Meal plans for the week done
Drinking a big cup of peppermint tea...

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »
If society told me I need to make me and my home perfect, I missed the memo ;)     I love clean, neat, and simple but beyond that prefer wabi sabi. Long-term matters I'll put a loooooooooooooooooooooot of thought, research, and effort into, though -it's one of the many reasons I prefer renting. Accepting imperfection is definitely a healthy choice for me.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »
I've been thinking some similar thoughts about whether my living space needs to be "perfect."  So far, I've always been a renter, and therefore have had relatively little control over many features of my space.  I've been thinking about if/when I might want to buy a house, and one of the only reasons in the pro column is to get that "perfect" interior.  BUT - how much happier would I be if I had newer countertops and a slightly quieter fridge and walls that weren't off-white?  Maybe a little bit, but probably not as much as I might think by default.

So, for now, I keep landing on the side of continuing with my cheap and easy renting lifestyle and knowing that by saving the money, I'm expanding my future options, both for houses and the rest of my life.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
I used to fixate on 'fixing things' but the past 2 years have I've relaxed a bit and life is so much more joyful (for my SO as well)

Our house is surrounded by other townhouses getting FULL renovations (we are the non-high-rollers in the neighborhood) and we really can't keep up with the Joneses. At all.
Plus we would rather go on a trip than re-paint walls.

Wabi-sabi is a lovely concept @jooniFLORisploo
..simple, humble, aged, clean & tidy..sounds good to me. I find I enjoy our character-filled home and even the falling plaster (ha) as long as the tidyness factor is high and old carpets are vaccuumed frequently. Plus, we have a beautiful view so that helps.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
...we really can't keep up with the Joneses. At all.

That's just it: Where would it end? If I caught up to them, in 3-5 years they'd start reno'ing again anyway. Would I have to resume then, too? Ugh, no way. I'll keep it low-key, simple, sweet.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
I'm not sure if it's from post-Lent foods or something else, but suddenly I'm:
*having trouble with sleep again
*am grinding/clenching my teeth (!)
*getting sore/sensitive teeth (which dentist once said can happen with grinding them)

Healthy choices today:
*didn't buy the desired candy, as the only bags available were big
*sent kid to bed early
*trying magnesium (powder in water) for sleep

Off I go for early bed myself! Here's hoping a good rest comes.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
^ Boy did THAT work!!!

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
...we really can't keep up with the Joneses. At all.

That's just it: Where would it end?

Exactly. 

The thing about choices is that whatever course of action we take, there is always a cost as well as a benefit to that choice/action.  How much energy and resources do I want to devote to X?  I often don't think that through before choosing my battles, and then find myself regretting the costs incurred in fighting said battles.  And of course, some battles and choices are very much worth the cost.  But knowing that all resources are limited, I do want to be mindful. 

@SquashingDebt - ah, being a homeowner does sometimes feel like a series of endless projects.  :)  You paint your walls and now your couch looks shabby, you buy a new couch and now the carpet looks gross, etc.... And countertops!  The choices are endless and can feel very overwhelming.  You know the feeling of walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store?  Yeah, like that, except they cost thousands of dollars.  And then you think, well, if I'm already spending thousands of dollars, maybe I should get the really fancy stuff... and I'll need a fancy faucet to go with it.  And if I'm doing the counters, I'll need fancy tile backsplash too.  And that's going to make my 15 yo stove look cheap...

There are many benefits to being a homeowner, for sure, but it's also a lot of work and very expensive.  My husband is very handy and likes to work around the house, otherwise I probably would have sold this house a long time ago.  Dealing with contractors can be a nightmare too.  Especially if you are a single female.  I was ripped off more than once when I was single.  I had to take a contractor (who was trying to rip me off) to small claims court and he was such a jerk to me (verbally abusive outside the courtroom, calling me stupid and yelling at me) that I was in tears during testimony.  When the judge ruled in my favor, the contractor started yelling at the judge and had to be removed from the courthouse.  Even though I won the case, I did not recover my deposit, I was only exempted from being forced to let him continue to work in my house and having to pay the remainder of the contract.

@jooniFLORisploo - thank you for posting about wabi-sabi!  I didn't know much about it so I read up, and I love it.  It perfectly captures where I'm trying to get to.  A big hug of gratitude being sent your way!  :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »
You paint your walls and now your couch looks shabby, you buy a new couch and now the carpet looks gross, etc.... [...] And if I'm doing the counters, I'll need fancy tile backsplash too.  And that's going to make my 15 yo stove look cheap...

Oh yes, I remember that now too! I can't even get all my electronics to agree on an era, and those cost way less than house things do.

Holy cow re: your contractor experience!

I was able to buy and own because I knew my dad would be more than happy to teach me and help me re: repairs, etc. The house costs I couldn't control (taxes, insurance) soared so I ended up selling, and now I don't have him so I'm wary of buying anything more complex than a brand new tiny house again (illegal in most of my areas). What I could and can afford in my HCOLa (that allows kids) is older and in disrepair, so plenty of work would be required. I adored my first house, but I have zero craving to do that again, and solo this time. I'd be buying more stress than I have room for right now.

@jooniFLORisploo - thank you for posting about wabi-sabi!  I didn't know much about it so I read up, and I love it.  It perfectly captures where I'm trying to get to.  A big hug of gratitude being sent your way!  :)

:)))))

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
Nice day!  Finally got a chance to play in the garden...my zen. 

Healthy choices
No dairy
Amazing food
Gym...treadmill and leg day
Walk with friend
Gardening

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
I ate all real, cooked or raw from scratch foods today.

Luckily it is easy to make Pina coladas from scratch, and I finally convinced someone that Wednesday lunch is ideal Pina colada time

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
Was reaching parenting burnout, so dropped kid off at a wonderful space where he could have fun and I could get a real break! Was great!! All refreshed now.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
SPRING!!!!
Woohoo, 19 degrees C
Spring has sprung.
Healthy choices
-Dairy free
-Gym...bike, abs and yoga class (awesome class today)
-Walk with neighbour
-Made a paleo coconut cream pie...yum (I hope)
-Bird feeders full
-Heading to the garden now
-patio furniture being washed and brought up to the deck.

Coconut cream pie...this is new to me.  Still dropping weight despite my rather high calorie intake...so more calories for me! 

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #717 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
Yummy coconut cream pie....hasnít helped yet though...

Healthy choices today
-dairy free (giving this another two weeks)
-gym, treadmill and upper body weights
-walk with neighbour
-good food.  I eat paleo, veggie and fruit heavy
-lots of water...something I neglected the last little while
-planted some pansies for my deck...the only thing that will survive this cool weather.  Although it was lovely yesterday, that was yesterday.  Heat coming next week
-watched a bald eagle swoop down on the duck pond.  He was chased away by crows...very cool

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #718 on: April 20, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »
Chipotle!

I responsibly ate half, and saved half. Which means....Chipotle for breakfast!

I watched the server sling rice into the bowl, and though man, that looks like a lot or rice. Once I horked down half the bowl, curiosity overwhelmed hunger. I scraped everything off the remaining half-bowl of rice, and weighed the results. That rice weighed 132g, but Chipotle's nutrition calculator assumes 113g is a full serving per bowl. So, wow, thank you generous server for more than doubling my rice! But, wow, glad I decided to save half for later.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #719 on: April 20, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
I ate two soup meals, and one cooked by family meal. And one snack. 4 eating occasions, which is generally my sweet spot.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #720 on: April 21, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »
Loved reading everyone's updates. I can't comment on everything, but the "perfect home" thing really gets me, too. Being in a creative field, I kind of also feel like I need my home to look very designer-y (especially if people *gasp* come over), but you know what, it's just not. Of course I would want nicer furniture, but they're all very expensive.  And as I've learned over the years, it's not worth it to spend money on furniture at all really, especially not at retail prices. Quality is hard to come by (everything seems to be made of particle board) and I'm very picky. Things also get ruined, too. I think one of my biggest regrets is us spending money on a brand new sofa... Nice, but it's damaged now from moving (never ask your friends to help you move...) and from cats clawing (despite trying to keep up with clipping and gluing caps on their nails).  I'm happiest with the furniture I ended up thrifting or buying used, like a great sized solid wood coffee table that just happened to be an interesting blue color when I picked it up (I thought it was white from the picture) and now it adds so much. Anyway, enough rambling from me about furniture choices. :D I've learned to be happy with my space. As long as it's clean (which in itself can be hard to achieve and maintain even without the interior decorating intentions) and free of cat litter, I'm happy. Buying secondhand can take a long time to cultivate the space you want, but I think in this world we're so used to instant gratification and being able to just buy what you need from online or whatever local big-box store, so it's good to get perspective sometimes and remember it's okay to take your time.

@Sailor Sam That's why I love my digital scale! I usually use it to measure out pasta, noodles, or other really calorie-dense foods, too, because it's just always really hard for me to know how much I'm really eating. It also reminds me to include more vegetables to fill in the rest of the plate.

Healthy choices this week:
- I had a good week. I went out to eat 4 times, though, twice because people wanted to treat me for a birthday lunch and dinner. And I had more sugar than I usually consume. My body ended up retaining about 10 lbs of water, too, which I imagine is from restaurant food usually being higher in sodium. Eep! I don't usually take much stock in the scale, but it's uncomfortable to be that bloated. I'm not the sort of person who will panic and feel "derailed" if I eat out a few times, but it definitely reminds me of why I prefer to cook/eat at home - so I can control the food and thus how my body reacts! So yesterday, to get back into cooking for myself, for dinner I made my five-spice soba noodles with brussel sprouts roasted with grapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and sea salt - simple, and so good!

- Have been enjoying walks around the neighborhood, especially to appreciate the sunny weather that happens sometimes in between the cloudy, rain, hailing days.

- I socialized more with my coworkers this week and tried to genuinely be interested in what they had to say even if I normally think small talk is mundane. Oddly, social connections can make you feel good sometimes. I heard on NPR radio yesterday that so many people deal with loneliness, and some people are "shut-ins," described as people who have not had social interactions for at least 6 months. It's a reminder for me to be grateful for what I have. I might not be the most extroverted or popular, but I'm doing all right!

- I also completed week 1 of the Fitness Blender strength training program and started week 2 yesterday. I did miss a day on account of going out for my birthday dinner, but did it the next day on an active rest day, and added in a cardio kickboxing workout, too.

- I got a wobble cushion and have been using that on my chair at work. It definitely helps me to reduce slouching or leaning forward. For some reason, I am always inclined to lean forward when sitting at work. It seems to reduce stiffness in the back.

- Slept in today (which to me is 7 AM... lol) instead of setting an alarm and going to work to do some overtime. I'll do that Sunday... lol. I really need to focus on getting a solid 8-9 hours because I have been extremely tired the past 1-2 weeks from averaging 6-7 hours. :/

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #721 on: April 21, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
No dairy
Gym...treadmill and leg day
Will walk later
Planting my peas today, greens too

Still trying to eat more, the coconut cream pie was slathered with coconut whip cream yesterday.  And yes, my weight dropped.  Grrr
maybe I will see the effects in a few days.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: April 21, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
Really enjoying my newest breakfast: three eggs scrambled with 2-3 cups of kale, plus two pure pork wieners chopped. Simple, quick, delicious, sustaining.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #723 on: April 22, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
That sounds a lot like one of my standby meals of eggs, kale, tomato and cheese. I like the protein + fibre/bulk + fat combo.

I've started writing a list of easy healthy meals on a whiteboard, so that I'm never at a loss as to what to eat - because if I am, I default to buttery carbs. So far, I've got seven meals written down that meet the nutrition/satiation/yumminess threshold to merit going into regular rotation.  If any of you have easy, high protein, high fibre meals that you love, I'd be grateful to hear of them!

Yesterday I did a low-impact cardio workout from HASFIT and went for a long walk. It made for an easy day for my knees. Today, I'll go for a run.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #724 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »
Earth day!
Although my neighbour and I pick up garbage every day on our walk, today is earth day so extra stuff is in order.  Going to buy some pansies to plant on the other side of my fence...city park.  We have maintained this park since we moved here, never see city workers.  Many trees have been planted, noxious weeds removed and much more.  Now some early spring flowers are in order for the birds and bees.
Also going to get neighbour to help me clean up the city access area...itís filthy.  Needs a good sweeping and weeding.
Hub is out now with friends picking more garbage.

An interesting stir fry if you like rutabaga.  Shred a rutabaga in food processor or by hand.  Cook TIL caramellizedmsoem onions and peppers, add rutabaga and cook TIL done.  Add eggs....itís very much like egg foo yung.  You could use bean sprouts instead of turnip....more protein!
Personally despise cooked greens...some sort of childhood trauma I am sure.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #725 on: April 22, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »
I'm continuing to have excellent holdovers from my Lenten commitment to Whole30 (which made it Whole40?).

Since then, these have naturally and effortlessly continued:
*black coffee vs 1/4 cup of cream per
*(which means no black teas, chais, etc, because without cream I'm not into those)
*groceries free of our kryptonite dairies (cheese, cream)
*ongoing slow and steady weight release
*bananas vs honey in baking
*sweetener-free cocoa (just cocoa powder and skim milk powder)

We also learned my son reacts to dairy.

Really appreciating these additional benefits, and enjoying the outcomes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:58:38 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
Thanks for the rutabaga recipe, BendiGirl! I LOVE rutabagas and egg foo young, so will give this a shot. I'll be picking up litter as well today. I got a grabber-thingie and a box of bags from the city a couple of weeks ago, and have made a few forays around my neighborhood to tidy up the public spaces and indulge my fetish-like hatred of litter. I also get a nice feeling of contributing to making my community a better place, which I had been missing since retiring. I'd do it more often, but all the looking down aggravates a disk in my neck, so I'm trying to pace myself.

As for cooked greens, I definitely consider myself fortunate to enjoy kale as much as I do, since it's easy to grow and freezes well. Winter produce is expensive here, so I save a bundle by eating mostly frozen veg all winter. I'm very eager for spring peas and lettuce though.

JooniFLORisploo - thank you for the term "weight release"!

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Have gone in the lake 18 days so far this month..
It's cold, refreshing and getting out of the water is the best part of the day!

Have been doing some spring cleaning and planted a few seeds in the garden even though it's way too early here in the mountains.

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
I've been trying to eat a lot more vegetables. I have been having a huge salad for dinner the past week or so, with romaine, spinach, chickpeas, artichoke hearts (my treat to motivate me to eat the salad), celery, etc. I don't think I've lost any weight, but I feel a lot better in my body. I've made meal plans for the next week and I'm going to have bean tacos for breakfasts, falafel bowls for lunch, and a different kind of salad for dinner to continue the trend.

I lost my exercise tracker at work and for some reason just realized my phone also tracks my data. Doh! Learned that between walking to work/home and walking at work (retail) I walk about 15,000 steps a day. Nice!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: April 22, 2018, 09:11:52 PM »
Healthy Choices Today:

*herbal tea even when cream was available free! :)

*put in my garden, so:
**much contact with soil and seed
**light physical work
**fresh air
**happy socializing with neighbours
**creating/arting

If food appears from it, eating it will be another healthy choice, but even putting it in met this goal.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #730 on: April 23, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »
I've been trying to eat a lot more vegetables. ... I don't think I've lost any weight, but I feel a lot better in my body.

After seeing a nutritionist last fall and having her confirm that indeed, I did need to consume more than just buttered carbs, I started eating more vegetables and protein. Within weeks I had more energy than I had had in years. Your menu sounds like it's both yummy and full of nutrition - no wonder you have the pep for all of that walking!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
I feel a lot better in my body

:)))))))))))))))

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #732 on: April 23, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »
Beginning the process of weaning off caffeine. My depression has been super bad even without alcohol and doing some reading, caffeine can be a trigger for some folks because of the way anxiety and depression are linked.

Iím weaning gradually, though, because I want to 1) avoid withdrawal headaches, especially since all OTC pain relievers either make me sick or donít do anything and 2) a brief article on the Mayo Clinic said that sudden cessation of caffeine can make depression worse in many individuals.

If Iím still feeling super depressed after that process Iíll talk with my doctor about a medication change and/or referral to psychiatric care at his discretion.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #733 on: April 23, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
Really sorry youíre going through depression, furrychickens :(((
Your self-care plan sounds excellent!

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: April 23, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
furrychickens...hope the coffee removal helps.  I hear you on the slow withdrawal.  I had terrible headaches, no pill would help....so I drank coffee again. 

Healthy choices today
Dairy free...wondering if I really want to eat it again, feeling pretty good without it
Great food
Gym, treadmill and upper body weights
Walk with friend
Community service...neighbour and i cleaned up the park access
Helped hubs de thatch the lawn...lots of raking

A beauty of a day!  Tomorrow will be even better.  Time to stain the fence.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #735 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Today:
- Woke up early, made a healthy lunch, and was even early to work. *gasp* This good start is probably from choosing to go to bed early last night.
- Tried not cooking my vegetables this time. Except for the part where I microwaved it for three minutes at work to warm up the rice... Didn't really think that one through. :P Trying to eat more raw foods (except the rice). Next time will try separating them in different containers.
- Did strength training and cardio workouts back to back even though I realllly didn't feel like it. No one ever regrets *doing* a workout, though!

@Sun Hat Have you ever done a "Buddha bowl?" It's "trendy" so there are a lot of ideas out there, but the basic premise is you literally just put a bunch of raw or roasted vegetables and/or legumes in a bowl with a grain (sometimes a pasta/noodle), usually paired with a sauce or simple dressing, if desired. For a bare bones one, I like to do a roasted sweet potato with quinoa bowl... Lots of fiber, and quinoa has protein, and in my opinion it's pretty good (add a drizzle of tahini or balsamic vinegar or something if you want). You can switch up the vegetables any which way you'd like. Another simple idea I like to do is brown rice with black beans with a *good* salsa or cilantro and lime (usually if I'm in a hurry for something good) - I guess, kind of like a burrito bowl at Chipotle...  I also recommend sprinkling hemp hearts, flax seeds, or sliced/crushed nuts on various bowls/dishes to amp up the fiber/protein/healthy fat.  Soba noodles are a good source of fiber and nutrition. If you do a pasta dish, try adding some hummus to your pasta sauce (chickpeas = protein) and maybe try black bean "meatballs." Or use pasta to make a pasta salad and add marinated artichokes, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, olives, etc.  Green or fruit smoothies with protein powder is always easy, too.  I also find that curry is very easy (basically just get some curry pasta and coconut milk) and throw in whatever vegetables you want.  If you like soup and the ease of throwing everything together in one pot, I found this vegetable soup recipe to be satisfying: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AQVO-xvFdR8FpAyJeZzYDm3XhMYZwhb06qVhnEXvhWgSAd_9GeUyNfU/

@furrychickens Hope stopping the caffeine works out! If it's any help, since you mentioned you are trying a dietary change, I was recently reading the How Not to Die cookbook and there was a bit on depression and how eating more dark leafy greens can help reduce depression, so maybe that is something to try, too? In any case, I hope you feel better soon.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »
imadandylion, your Buddha bowl sounds amazing. Need to look into this for quick healthy lunches at work. Thanks for posting.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: April 23, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »
Healthy Choices Today

*bought two more pairs of reading glasses (lost a new pair already! but only $1.25 each), so I can stop hurting myself

*sat outside in the warmth and sun, in a gorgeous, fragrant community garden

*made it a "no people" day, as I'd reached my natural limit for those and will see some tomorrow again

*main meal was a gorgeous, homemade curried salmon rice dish

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: April 24, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »
Got over the depression hump yesterday and forced myself outside to work on some projects. Good call! Felt good to be outside and my mood almost always improves when I do physical labor. Iíd be miserable in a office job.

We built a privacy fence last year but ended up with an unfinished corner where it wrapped around one side of the chicken coop back to the garage. Finished that. Began work prepping to rip the whole chicken coop/run roof off to rebuild it, a few more groundwork tasks to tackle on that today after getting some school done but weíve got such a nice stretch of weather right now that I hope to finish it before we get a stretch of rainy weather again. Itís pretty leaky.

The first day of low caffeine went pretty well. Weíll see how it goes today, Iím not sure Iím going to be able to hold to 2 cups...

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
@imadandylion Thanks for the reminder about Buddha Bowls! I prepped the ingredients for them once and ate like a queen for a week, but haven't done it since. Maybe I'll do another round of food prep today, as it will coincide with my planned pantry clean-out/organization where I inevitably find minute quantities of things.

@furrychickens I had to drop down to 2 cups of caffeinated coffee as well, and suggest keeping some decaf on hand for times when you want the habit of coffee plus a tiny bit of caffeine.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:51:47 AM by Sun Hat »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
@imadandylion dark leafy greens are not something Iím great about, partly because spinach is really the only one I can eat and I get sick of it after a while. Chard and cabbage make me deathly ill, kale is iffy, and after the excruciating pain of eating a small amount of chard for the first time Iíve been reluctant to try any other greens.

@Sun Hat yeah, currently out of decaf but Iíll be restocking next time Iím at the store. I stopped buying it because Iíd drink a LOT of coffee a day because it was ďjust decafĒ and that gets expensive. But Iíll need it to wean down, for sure :)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #741 on: April 24, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »
* love me a good buddha bowl!

healthy choices recently:
-a friend harvested heaps of wild, stinging nettle and gifted me a bag full of them (smells of spring greenery)--so yesterday I sauteed some with shallot & garlic (& added it onto ginger fried rice) and then blanched the rest and froze in small portions for upcoming meals.

-will buy myself some flowers/greens--I usually pick them from the woods but it's still too early (not even leaves on the branches)

-broccolini and asparagus for lunch

-swam in the lake this morning
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:52:43 PM by Serendip »

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #742 on: April 24, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
Wow, I have only ever had one cup of coffee a day and had huge withdrawal headaches....canít imagine what would,have happened if I drank more.
Good luck

Healthy choices
-dairy free
-yummy food
-gym, bike and yoga class...oh, abs too
-walk with friend
-dog to vet...still has blood in urine...more tests 😔. But it was good to have it looked after
-walk around the ponds in my local park (right in my backyard..)
-made gluten free carrot muffins (Elanas pantry) will have with homemade coconut whipped cream
-drinking lots of water

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
I have new running shoes! And they didn't hurt my toes! Still can't do 3 miles in 30 min, though. But I did start doing weights again. Mixing it up feels good. Maybe I should just relax about the running time  thing. I'm 49 going on 50. Do I really need to run that fast?

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: April 24, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
Healthy choices today:
 - black coffee (1 cup)
 - cutting down on carbs, so only one piece of squirrely bread today with natural peanut butter
 - the rest of my food was protein, good fats, vegs.
 - was having a sweet craving after dinner, so had a couple of spoonfuls of sorbet, but not a whole bowl like I would've in the past (or something even more sugary).
 - Had my Coke Zero with a fresh lime after work. This is a hard habit to break.
 - Heading out for my walk as soon as I post this.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: April 24, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Do I really need to run that fast?

I certainly hope that no event in your life will require that, no!

(Whenever we see someone running, I quip to DS about the bear being just out of our sightline.)

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #746 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
@furrychickens Oh no! :( I wonder what causes that. Sounds like it might be something beyond gas?

Today:
- Went on a walk during work, not as many walks as I would have liked but I will do better tomorrow!
- Made a healthy back-up lunch, ate a bunch of fruit and greens.
- Lower body workout
- Have been agreeing to run races/relays this summer and fall with coworkers so I need to start a training schedule. Will start scheduling in my planner tonight!

I have been wanting to eat more raw vegetables and have always wanted to do a kale salad, so yesterday I did, and it was so good! I was still thinking about it today, especially when I went to a lunch and learn and got served a lame, really lazy salad (they couldn't even cut the onion rings in half... c'mon!). Anyway, I wanted to share this kale salad recipe because it's definitely worth trying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQyIzuu8Y4

Super easy and can be made with minimal ingredients - I just used 1 bunch of kale, lemon zest of 1 lemon, 1 lemon, sea salt, black pepper, olive oil (broke out the "nice" garlic-infused oil for this one, lol), fresh pressed garlic, thinly sliced red and white onions, and marinated artichokes.  So, so good - my partner and I finished the whole thing really quickly.  I like the texture. You "massage" the kale for a couple minutes (just squeeze) to soften the kale fibers and it's easier to consume raw.  We are going to pick up more kale today :D :D :D

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #747 on: April 25, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Fudge brownies for breakfast! Ingredients: Coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, almonds, bananas, salt. YUM!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
I've started running again, slowly, after taking some time off to let my twisted knee get better. Other healthy choices: we've decided to take a leisurely (for us) vacation...and I'm down to half-caf coffee. I want off caffeine completely and permanently but it's been a necessary sleep substitute with our schedule. Currently trying to rearrange to stop that.

I have new running shoes! And they didn't hurt my toes! Still can't do 3 miles in 30 min, though. But I did start doing weights again. Mixing it up feels good. Maybe I should just relax about the running time  thing. I'm 49 going on 50. Do I really need to run that fast?
Nope! Speed does not = fitness. But it does increase your risk of injury. Plus, running 3 miles at any speed is awesome. No need to pressure yourself for a specific time unless you want to qualify for the Boston marathon all of a sudden. ;-)

Fudge brownies for breakfast! Ingredients: Coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, almonds, bananas, salt. YUM!
That just sounds yummy.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #749 on: April 25, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Knees cannot handle running.  I tried sprinting, and loved it...but my hips did not.  So Iíll walk.

Gorgeous day!  I love spring.

Healthy choices
-dairy free
-good food...maybe a little too much.  Tried a new recipe for paleo coconut and lime cookies.  Amazing.  Too amazing....
-gym...today was treadmill and legs.  Love/hate leg day...such a lot of work but itís needed
- walk with friend
-stained the fence.  Always a healthy choice to knock something off the to do list.
- no asthma meds today!  This is big.