Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 60932 times)

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #650 on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
Just ate the most delicious salad for lunch: baby kale, chickpeas, beets (http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-thyme-roasted-beets-276119), and roasted Brussels sprouts, all drenched in TJ's goddess dressing. A couple of my friends are obsessed with it so I grabbed a bottle to try out on Saturday...SO freaking good. I usually make my own dressings, but I've been feeling uninspired by my rotation of vinaigrettes and wanted to change it up with something creamier.

I'm super-sore from a boot camp-type workout I did yesterday. I need to run today and it is not gonna feel great.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #651 on: April 09, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
In the midst of tax preparations & realizing I owe much more than anticipated..took the initial stress edge off with another ice-water dip & now a nature walk before work.
My healthy action was to schedule a meeting with my book-keeper earlier in the month than normal, so at least I know the reality sooner rather than later.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: April 09, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
I did a TON of cooking yesterday:

Mushroom soup (with milk instead of the heavy cream called for. I do, sadly, notice the difference. Oh well.)
Crockpot black bean chili
Teriyaki tofu and vegetables
and a ton of brown rice in the instant pot.

I still had leftover homemade fried rice and chickpea curry in the fridge, so I'm mostly set on meals for the week. Opening the fridge and seeing all those containers of prepped food makes me feel taken care of. Even though I did all the work myself, haha!

Also cut up some bell pepper strips for Boyfriend's lunch - he actually REQUESTED veggies in his lunch this week, which is not a natural choice for him. Yay!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
Turned it up another notch on the treadmill this morning -- 2 miles in 20:23.  Closing in on a 10:00 mile pace for THAT distance, at least.  Changed to a different pair of older running shoes that have slightly more padding, but ended up with bashed in middle toes (I have Morton's Toe, aka Neaderthal Feet -- middle toes stick out beyond big toe), which sucks. 

Weight is holding steady at 160, despite ongoing evening snacking.  I am going to be offsetting that with lots of time in the garden as weather permits (did nearly 2 hours of pretty rigorous weeding involving getting some large taproots out), so should be seeing more movement downward soon.
Wherever you go, there you are

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #654 on: April 09, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Had a gathering at my place (healthy choice #1), and intentionally bought less food for it than I normally would have (healthy choice #2). This was so I wouldn't end up with excess of stuff that's not optimal for me.

After the first wave of guests came through, there was little left...and after the second wave came through, literally nothing. YAY! (But the second wave brought me Easter goodies, so I still have those to contend with...will do so happily!)
"Ignoring the value of social policy because you were born in a log cabin you built yourself, however, is similarly unhelpful." ~Hargrove

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: April 09, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
@lhamo Good job! :D

Healthy stuff for me:
- Meal planned on Sunday for healthy homemade meals all week.
- Made my lunch myself for work this morning, although it made me a little bit late to work, but more importantly, I got it done! It was a rice noodle salad with julienned carrots, chopped romaine lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes, and pan-fried tofu in a sauce made of sesame oil, rice vinegar, lemon juice, and golden mountain seasoning sauce (like a version of soy sauce). Need to wake up earlier next time!
- Followed through with my AM, lunch, and PM walks at work, used the standing desk for half the day. Considering getting a "wobble cushion" for when I sit on the chair.
- Did my second-to-the-last workout of the 4-week core program today.  Going to finish it off strong tomorrow. :)
- Purchased and scheduled the 4-week strength training focused program from Fitness blender and starting later this week after 2 rest days. Yay!  I have decided not to purchase a membership anywhere and instead am just going to focus on building a home gym instead because it's more economical and I'd really much rather save the money for fun stuff like traveling. My fiance got me the Powerblocks adjustable dumb bell set as an early birthday present, which makes me really happy. We're going to look into getting an adjustable bench, barbell, and plates.
- Making a healthy dinner involving spaghetti squash and broccolini. Was going to use portobellos but randomly decided I want to save them for a marinated portobello wrap for tomorrow morning.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #656 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
Healthy choices
Gym day...a nice 25 min walk on the treadmill and then a good upper body weight workout.
Walk with neighbour
Ate up all the bits and pieces of food in preparation for our trip tomorrow...no waste but really odd meals!
Packed a load of healthy food in case I canít find things to eat....I do not expect the people we visit to worry about what to feed me.
Tried not to get too my at my extended health care provider as they did not cover the cost of my very expensive asthma meds even though it was covered in the past.  Now need to have the doc fill out a form and then they will reimburse me...pain in the butt!  Itís something I rarely use but need it now. Neighbour gave me some lovely flowers for my birthday...sweet, but she knows we are not here for a week...so had to arrange them, cut the bottoms of all stems do they last longer...hopefully they have some colour left when we return.
Dairy free again today.  May introduce coffee cream when we return and see how that goes.  Still have some chest congestion from the cold but besides that feeling great.
No reporting TIL we return. 
Keep up your amazing healthy choices everyone!

ohsnap

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
Hello!  I started reading this thread a few days ago when I realized I'd gained 7.5 pounds in 2.5 months. :(  Apparently I've made a lot of lousy choices in 2018, healthwise.  So last week I vowed to do better.  Thank you for this encouraging thread!

Here were my accomplishments yesterday -
1. Instead of stir-frying the vegetables for my dinner, I cooked them with some vegetable broth.  Then I stirred in some soy sauce, rice vinegar, & spices at the end.  It tasted just like a stir-fry without the 2 TB of oil!
2. Instead of sitting on the couch to watch a game, I went to the gym with my husband.  I was a bit sore to do a weight workout, so instead I walked on the treadmill at a pretty steep incline for 45 minutes.  Bam!  300 calories burned while I watched the game on the gym's TV!
3. 7 total servings of fruit & veg for the day.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #658 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
Way to go everyone, and welcome @ohsnap !

I'm still THE MOST SORE. I was going to try a spin class today, but will be opting for gentle yoga instead.

My seasonal allergies have finally started. I have a ton of miserable drainage down the back of my throat. I've been trying to mainline (local) honey + tea and it's helped a bit. I also take allergy meds but I swear to God that they do nothing--I don't know if I'm just taking the wrong ones or if my body is immune, ugh. I've switched between Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec, and various generics over the years and noticed zero difference. Any ideas?

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #659 on: April 10, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
Today my health choice is to take deep breaths, and not freak out. I'd say we're hitting about 55% success rate.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: April 10, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
Hugs to everyone having a rough day/week/month. You are all SO amazing and will feel much better.

Probably.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #661 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
I've been absent from this thread, but sat down and caught up on about four pages of it last night.  Everyone is doing so great!

I've been a little lax and haven't lost any weight - may have gained a pound or so, but need to weigh in a few times and average out.

I'm now riding consistently 4 days a week, and gardening season is ramping up.  I'm still shooting for running 2x a week and gym workout/strength training 2x a week.  Last week was a total bust, but I probably average about 3 total workouts per week instead of four.  My horse is at a new place that saves me about 20+ minutes of daily driving, so I have no excuse to miss my shorter weekday workouts, because there is time to do both after work.  Today I did a 3 mile run/walk, and then headed out to the barn and rode for about 45 minutes.

Kind of torn on what to do with food - I think going to a lower-carb/paleo plan would help me get back to the weight I'd like to be at, but it's more work, more money, and less flexibility. 

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #662 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Been having some sleep and digestive problems but overall doing okay. Behind on my to do list and debated skipping our homeschool group hike yesterday but really glad we went anyways.
I kill fluffy bunnies and feed them to my children.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
Today I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown, thus those healthy choices are more critical than ever, so:

1. Asked a pro to come in to consult on a matter in my home, resolving a point of fretting
2. Declined a beautiful offer of lunch with pal, as I'm too fried for [certain characteristics] or driving or one more thing
3. Put out a DND sign
4. Next: music via sound cancelling, soft, comfy, soothing earphones (thank you, Bose!)
5. Making myself a hearty, yummy breakfast + black coffee
6. Will complete an appt I've been waiting a long while for, because I will feel better with that completed
7. When DS is at his two classes, will drop into "coffee shop self care"

See? I already feel quite a bit better having written those excellent steps out :)
"Ignoring the value of social policy because you were born in a log cabin you built yourself, however, is similarly unhelpful." ~Hargrove

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
Stressful day at work and came in to 3 chocolate truffles that a co-worker left on my desk. So far have managed to eat only one. Win? I should sneak the others into the breakroom before I'm tempted to shovel the other 2 in, haha.

GardenBaker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: April 11, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
Looking forward to hearing everyone's success stories this year with meeting your goals and being held accountable for mine. My goal is to not count calories, but to instead eat a healthy whole food diet. I've read Dr Gregor's How Not to Die and I'm working on incorporating his daily dozen into my diet. I've found eating veggies for breakfast and lunch greatly upticks my servings of vegs each day. Dinner usually involves meat and vegetables as well with the occasional pizza splurge. My biggest challenge is exercise, currently my goal is to incorporate organized purposeful exercise into my schedule 3x per week and incorporate more moving throughout the day. Currently, I average about 2500 steps/day. Plan to double that by the end of February.

I figured since we're a little over a quarter of the way through the year, I'd post an update. My steps have improved, I'm averaging 4500 - 5500 per day depending on what I choose as my exercise. On days I ride a spin bike, I don't get as many steps versus when I go out for a run. I am exercising at least 3x every week, some weeks it has been up to 5 days of exercise. I still need to work on cutting my servings of meat down to only one meal a day; lately, I brink dinner leftovers for lunch so I've still been eating meat at lunch too. My new goal is to avg 8,000 steps a day for the 2nd quarter of this year.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: April 11, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
Ooh, good idea to do some reflection @GardenBaker! I couldn't even remember what I'd said my goals were when the thread started, haha.

As someone who loves health + wellness but is triggered by calorie counting and diet talk, I think this is my spot! Thank you lhamo for starting a safe(r) space :)

My goals for 2018 are to find a new rhythm with non-running exercise (including more mindfulness-based practices like yoga); start my own veggie garden this spring; and to maintain my focus on plant-based nutrition (although I will always be an omnivore because it turned out that going vegetarian was not good for my health).

Rhythm with non-running exercise: Meh. I have a new routine that includes mindfulness-based practices, but I'm not thrilled with it. It's good enough for now and the cheapest option available to me, if I accept that 1) 15 years of data indicate that I will never regularly do yoga/workout videos on my own, and 2) I must do cross-training to keep my hip issues from flaring up. I was thinking over the weekend that still following my old studio on Insta and getting all of their emails makes me more discontented with my current gym...but that's also how they announce their flash sales, so if I don't see them in a day, I won't get them. I continue to waffle over unfollowing everything.

Veggie garden: Started! I have kale, spinach, carrots, and an impulse-bought nasturtium underway, along with the usual herb suspects of rosemary, thyme, and oregano. I'll be getting tomatoes and summer planted this weekend, and basil in May. Nothing is dead yet, and I've decided that every day a food-producing, non-herb plant survives in Year 1 is a win.

Maintain focus on plant-based nutrition: Most of the year has been good on this front, except for the last two weeks! My SO's family are all mega-carnivores and visited us for Easter, and we ended up with a ton of leftover meat items. Then I had an "I just can't even with cooking" moment at Costco on Saturday and got one of their $4.99 rotisserie chickens, so that's been two dinners + one lunch this week. Tomorrow will include more meat at a work dinner. But it's fine! This is peanuts in the grand scheme of things, and it's just not worth it to me to stress about whether my diet adheres to a self-imposed standard of what is objectively better. I minimize meat consumption for environmental, ethical, and personal reasons, but I cannot and will not turn food into a source of stress and restriction. I've been down that path and it does not lead me to a good place.

At its worst, it lead me to a doctor's office with them pulling out height/weight charts, my hair falling out in chunks, and collapsing because I was so lightheaded and dizzy from starving my body. More recent experiences have been milder: hysteria in grocery store parking lots, sobbing on the phone with my then-grad school's mental health crisis line, therapy for a minute. The last year or two my would-be issues with food have just made me angry. Angry that so many women have been so comprehensively lied to by the diet and fitness industry. Angry that so many of us fight with our bodies and our minds in the attempt to adhere to an impossible standard (literally impossible--supermodels still get Photoshopped). Angry that so many of us, collectively, waste so much time and energy and agony on not feeling good enough the way we are. Angry that ritualized body-shaming is an ingrained part of so many women's conversations--angry that when I've refused to participate in those conversations, women have become angry with me. Angry that when I joined my gym, they assumed I wanted to lose weight even though I'm already privileged to have a body that hits most of those patriarchal fucking bullshit standards (90% genetic lottery, 10% I like vegetables and running). Angry that deciding to be okay with my body is somehow a radical position for a woman to take in 2018.

Ahem.

Anyway, I still like eating mostly plants for lots of reasons and look forward to resuming that pattern after a random meaty blip.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
Today I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown, thus those healthy choices are more critical than ever, so:

Today's steps worked great!!! Yay!

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
After much trial and error I've confirmed I have an egg allergy.  I never suspected eggs because, a) who's allergic to eggs?!, and b) the symptoms never presented until many hours after eating the eggs, i.e, if I ate eggs for breakfast the symptoms presented after dinner.  I just couldn't figure out what it was because I couldn't identify the commonality.  It was only after I did food tracking just for the sake of information (not for weight loss) that I saw it.  And then I couldn't believe it.  When I confirmed it, I still couldn't believe it because the response was so delayed.  I kept thinking for sure it was something else. 

I also found that if I trigger the allergic response then my body gets very reactive to foods that I can normally eat in small amounts like whey protein, nuts, ranch dressing, etc.  The allergic response (histamines?) stay in my system for at least a day.  Consequently, I've been feeling crappy this whole week because my body is feeling under attack and tired from fighting off the offenders.  Anything I eat just goes right through me.

Today I've been really wanting to go have a big burger and fries to restore my energy and supply some nutrients.  I think the allergens make it difficult for my body to get the nutrients they need while it's still resolving the allergy attack.  I've been feeling hungry for days and the veggies are not solving the problem.

I'm trying to hold off, but I might give in if it means I will have the energy I need to go on about my day instead of feeling sickly and tired.  Feeling well needs to trump losing weight. 

And now I finally get why I've always felt better when I skip breakfast!!!   

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
jane x, that's amazing!! What a wonderfully helpful piece of info to have.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
I seem to have picked up a cold, maybe from the airplane, maybe from the extreme amount of stress Iíve been under lately, maybe both?

So today Iím taking it easy, drinking lots of water and ginger/turmeric tea, and tidying up around my house a bit. I may go sit in the sunshine for a while too, provided the horrible neighbors stop cutting/running power tools/being doofy entitled asses for 10 minutes in a row.

I went to the dentist yesterday and they were concerned about my gums so today I got a fancy toothbrush. Hoping I donít have anything serious going on and that stepping up my oral hygiene game will help.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Accepting that I might need a few days of pharmaceutical meds to soothe my body past the end of this flu.

And drinking an ocean of throat coat tea

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
I tweaked something in my hip, so I'm going to suspend jogging until it heals. That seems smarter than continuing despite the pain, which has been my previous response to injury.

There's an elliptical machine in the gym, and I've promised myself I'll give that method of exercise another try today, despite hating the elliptical.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
I seem to have picked up a cold, maybe from the airplane, maybe from the extreme amount of stress Iíve been under lately, maybe both?

Fair enough, Body! You've kinda been through the wringer lately. I'm glad madgey is taking such good care of you. You're good to her!!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #674 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
@jane x actually, egg allergy is one of the top 5 allergies IIRC.

It is worth noting that SOME folks with chicken egg allergies can tolerate duck eggs (very hard to find in most areas though). Another workaround that works for SOME is getting eggs from chickens fed soy-free. YMMV.

Food allergies suck, but itís very empowering when you figure it out! I discovered a low grade peanut allergy a number of years ago. Finding a frugal lunch to replace PB&J reduced my chronic sinus issues considerably.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #675 on: April 12, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »
I tweaked something in my hip, so I'm going to suspend jogging until it heals. That seems smarter than continuing despite the pain, which has been my previous response to injury.

There's an elliptical machine in the gym, and I've promised myself I'll give that method of exercise another try today, despite hating the elliptical.

I continue to hate the elliptical machine. I decided on some yoga, and some body weight stuff instead. I feel virtuous and satisfied, which is all anyone can ask for.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »

Fair enough, Body! You've kinda been through the wringer lately. I'm glad madgey is taking such good care of you. You're good to her!!

:)))

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »
Going alcohol free again. Last year I had a couple periods where I was hyper sensitive to alcohol and Iím seeing the same symptoms starting again. Even a bit of tincture triggers it. Feverish, achey, chills and low energy like when fighting a virus. Last year I once spiked a 105 fever.

I love the nuances of wine, beer, and whiskey but I may need to give it up entirely, or keep it at very sporadic consumption. Weíll see. I re-read my journals regularly and alcohol overconsumption has been an ongoing issue of mine over the past couple years.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #678 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
Healthy choice today was to call-off a trip that I was supposed to leave on tomorrow.

The weather has turned wet/snowy and driving 7 or 8 hours in it was not an appealing option.
My family was understanding of the decision and now I feel a lovely freedom from having a week off of work and NO PLANS :)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: April 13, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
Ran 2 miles in 20 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  BAM!

Doesn't really make up for how crappy things are otherwise, but at least I am closing in on one fitness goal.  So maybe not a total failure at life....
Wherever you go, there you are

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
Healthy choice today was to call-off a trip that I was supposed to leave on tomorrow.

The weather has turned wet/snowy and driving 7 or 8 hours in it was not an appealing option.
My family was understanding of the decision and now I feel a lovely freedom from having a week off of work and NO PLANS :)

Staycations are the best. My personal desire is to create a life I donít want a vacation from.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #681 on: April 13, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
So maybe not a total failure at life....

(((lhamo))) We all know you're very much the opposite of a failure at life, but I'm really sorry things are feeling so shitty right now.

And way to go maintaining the fitness aspect of your self-care through life's ups and downs!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #682 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Mixed bag this week - ate well, got my workouts in, and several hours of gardening, plus a riding lesson tonight.  Had wine and ice cream tonight.  Running and more gardening tomorrow, and eating lots of veggies.

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #683 on: April 14, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
Last night I made the healthy choice to go to the movies - and pay full price too.  Dh and I went after work and saw Black Panther and got a big tub of popcorn and a huge regular-sugar coke.  It was a healthy choice because we have been having a stressful two weeks and we just needed to intentionally put some fun into our life.  And it was a lot fun.  It was fun to be out and surrounded by lots of happy people enjoying an evening out with their families (we went to the 4:50 pm show, so lots of families out with kids and lots of teenagers hanging out with their friends).  The theater is at the mall near our house and it was a nice warm evening so we enjoyed walking around outside looking at the palm trees and watching the sunset.  They also have huge skylights and "garden areas" throughout the mall so it was very bright and cheerful inside.  Then we came home for dinner and had some home-cooked food and spent some time cuddling and relaxing. 

We were surprised by how expensive it was, but I think sometimes we have to do some fun things, even if they are expensive, in order to keep our emotional and mental balance healthy.  And it was just a movie after all - not a tropical cruise!  :)  It was nice to just have fun without thinking about weight loss and carbs and money.  And since we don't do this very often, it felt like a real treat. 

Dh is working on a home project this weekend and I have a busy week coming up so I'll be going to the pool to just relax.  I haven't been there in over a week.  I also hope to get some time in the garden in between helping dh with the project.

p.s.  And I did have that big juicy burger a few days ago when I was feeling super hungry and tired!  I also made a big yummy pot roast that night and have been eating that.  I've been feeling much better, so I did need the extra nutrients.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:49:01 AM by jane x »

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
jane x, that evening sounds wonderful!!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #685 on: April 15, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
When you wake planning to have eggs and pork for breakfast, and find there are no eggs, it is no small delight to realize an equally healthy option is...fudge brownies! Because they're made only of: eggs, bananas, cocoa, ghee, almonds, peanuts, vanilla extract, salt. Score!

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #686 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
When you wake planning to have eggs and pork for breakfast, and find there are no eggs, it is no small delight to realize an equally healthy option is...fudge brownies! Because they're made only of: eggs, bananas, cocoa, ghee, almonds, peanuts, vanilla extract, salt. Score!

surprised by healthy treats @jooniFLORisploo --definitely a win!

-Last week was a mix of late nights, guests staying with us, increased socializing/drinking and getting sick/neck spasm..so I took a few days easy, reduced work-load, had a massage and called off a trip

-Kept up with cold-water dipping almost daily (excepting neck spasm days), which has turned into such an amazing ritual--we might expand it to see how many alpine lakes we can dip in this summer
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:46:53 AM by Serendip »

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: April 15, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
Even though I'm still sick, I went to bed extra-early and woke up in the middle of the night to watch Beyonce's performance at Coachella. Healthiest choice ever!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #688 on: April 15, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »

Reminds me of and old Bill Cosby routine about chocolate cake for breakfast.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #689 on: April 15, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Just caught up with posts from when I was away...great work everyone!
I too have an egg allergy.  Itís mild, but when I eat too many eggs I get hives and itís awful!

I was good with dairy free so, as itís been a month, I tried a bit of cheese.  Now my throat is phlegm filled (sorry, that sounds ugly) so back off dairy again.  The cold is 99% gone so it may just be a bit of that...but I donít think so.  Honestly I didnít really miss the dairy so this wonít be hard.
Trip was great, helped out SIL, saw FIL, saw my kid and DIL...ate good and bad food, mostly good.  Had a nice beach walk, woods walk and other short walks.  Back to the gym tomorrow.

Our snow is all gone, yippee...soon it will be yard work time.  So happy.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #690 on: April 15, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
I ate at maintenance today. I'm sloughing epithelial cells and it's MAKING ME RAVENOUS. Or, not even physically ravenous. More like mentally fixated on food, and emotionally intolerant of even mild hunger. The healthy choice was to just chill, so I did.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: April 16, 2018, 04:54:29 AM »
Is talking about weight number allowed? Canít remember if it was okay here. Hit a milestone that Iíd never quite thought I would hit.

My emotional state has been a mess last couple of weeks, but my body in general is doing okay. Back and neck continue to heal, though the improvement is a lot slower than it was in the first few weeks of chiro. Iím thinner to the point my own body feels strange.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Hit a milestone that Iíd never quite thought I would hit.

CONGRATS, furrychickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #693 on: April 16, 2018, 09:52:50 AM »
Nice job, furrychickens!

Continuing my (not very) scientific research into what might be making me ravenous some days: Yesterday I ate considerably less than I do on most weekdays and felt mostly fine, only what I would consider normal hunger, not "OMG I'm going to chew off my own arm" panicky hunger. Possible reasons:

- was not outdoors in freezing cold very much (did some VERY brief garden work and otherwise stayed the hell indoors),
- did not have to go to work or use brain very much for the tasks that needed to get done,
- finished with period,
- slept! I was out late the night before and went to bed around 3:30. Woke up at 9, saw that the community garden volunteer day was cancelled for weather, went back to bed and eventually drifted back off. Slept until nearly noon!

I cannot do anything about these issues on work days. I am unable to fall asleep until around midnight or 1 a.m., try as I might, and I have to be up at 7 for work. I often feel like my body wants to be on a later schedule than my job allows. I have to go out in the freezing cold for work, and stand on the el platform 4x a day (taking into account train transfers) getting pummeled by icy wind. I cannot do anything about the fact that my job requires brain use and I cannot do that on small amounts of food. Clearly, FIRE is the solution! hahaha

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #694 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
Tris, all of that sounds SO familiar to me! Including the using the brain part. Definitely by moderating the types of experiences -and not just "exercise"- I have in a day changes how much food I need. Your attentiveness to what brings a greater a need for food will serve you well.

furrychickens, your post reminded me of when I got to my smallest points intentionally (vs unintentionally). I remember feeling strange in my body, in my case like it was too small, kinda gangly. (There's a higher weight I actually feel much more comfortable in.) It can be a weird sensation, being in a different size and shape, for sure.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #695 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
-Went down the garden to start clearing out roots and planning for the next year (it's a community garden and one of our box numbers is changing this year)
 Good to get hands into the dirt

-Dunked the body in the cold lake again (12 times so far in April), such a game-changer for me

-Brought my bike out of storage and started biking everywhere, another joy-bringer

-Started a DIY hammock project to get ready for summer lounging in the forest

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:29:18 PM by Serendip »

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #696 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Jogged. Slowly.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Healthy Choices in 20
« Reply #697 on: April 16, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
Healthy choices today
Gym...yippee, back at the gym.  Walk on treadmill for half an hour then an upper body weight routine
Spent a small,fortune at Costco...but all good yummy food.   Mostly nuts and nut products. Someone told me they have good gluten free buns and I caught myself walking in that direction.  NO...I am sure they are all rice flour and other stuff I care not to eat...I turned the cart around.
Ate good food.
Trying to regain the pound I lost while away.  How did this happen?  Lots of crappy restaurant food...ewww and just not my normal eating. Should have gained, but I lost.  That being said I just inhaled a few fistfuls of pistachios.
Walk with neighbour....nice, even in the rain.
Baked my breakfast muffins and some date based brownies for dessert.  The brownies are amazing and all great ingredients.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2018, 04:16:37 AM »
Have to put chocolate on the ďprobably never againĒ food list after the way I reacted to part of a 92% cocoa bar yesterday and Iím surprisingly okay with this.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
My computer time at work has ramped up a lot. My healthy choice recently is to spend less personal time on the computer. It will be easier once it's actually spring and I don't feel the impulse to just sit and browse forums instead of shoveling snow ;)
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together