Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 33879 times)

chaskavitch

• Bristles
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #600 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »
We should buy more apples.  Our kid LOVES berries and bananas, so we buy a lot of those, but it's expensive in the winter and you're right, the berries don't even taste that good.

I've noticed that my hands have been really puffy in the mornings a few days this last week, but I can't figure out exactly why, because there are multiple possible factors.  Apparently my days of not drinking enough water just miraculously are the same as days where I eat too much sugar and don't get enough sleep.  Yeah, that's almost certainly not a coincidence.  At least I've noticed!  I'm trying to drink a minimum of one nalgene (32 oz) a day, preferably closer to two, but I don't drink as much water when I'm at home, and I just had a 5 day weekend (which was admittedly awesome).  At work I'm sitting at my desk with my water bottle right there next to me, and it makes meeting my goal much easier. 

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
chaskavich, I find it SO hard to drink enough water when it's freezing cold outside (and when it's also freezing cold in my office!). I bought (facepunch!) a fun big plastic glass with a straw to keep at my desk to hopefully encourage me.

Tonight I'm supposed to go to a work dinner because my boss's boss is in town (she works at headquarters, many states away). It's not decided where we are going, but it sounds like it's going to be a farm-to-table restaurant whose menu changes daily, so I cannot look up their menu to see what healthy things I could order. Last time, the only thing on the menu that was vegetarian was deep-fried.  I guess I could call them and see what they have today, once I find out if this is indeed where we are going? If there's nothing healthy and vegetarian to order, though, I guess I am stuck. This is making it very difficult to plan types and quantities of food to eat for the rest of my day.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #602 on: April 02, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
@imadandylion --yes to swimming! I am eager for it to warm up as I don't like chlorine so much..but was considering taking swim lessons if the rec centre offers them. I can swim but not really a distance swimmer (yet)

healthy choice:  Yesterday a friend and I did our first quick dip in a local lake (during a mild spring blizzard) Cold baths are also supposed to help elevate norepinephrine which can reduce symptoms of depression as well :) Might go again today and see how many times in April we can muster.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:37:41 AM by Serendip »

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #603 on: April 02, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
Healthy Choices Today:
*recorded weight
*scheduled an afternoon rest in my beautiful bedroom
*singing
what a waste of a window i say

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #604 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Health is a marathon, not a sprint. Everyone knows that to successfully complete a marathon, your body needs carbs, so yesterday, I baked and ate a loaf of bread. Then, I had the best night's sleep that I've had in ages and woke full of pep. Coincidence, I think not!  ;)
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: April 02, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
LOL!!!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #606 on: April 02, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
alleykat, talk to me about intermittent fasting, especially how you concentrate and get things done without eating? I tried that this weekend, as I have a really hard time concentrating at work when I'm ravenous, and ended up being way too shaky while running errands.

@Tris Prior, I totally understand and that is me too. I lose power and energy when I am hungry. I wish I had words of wisdom for the hunger part of it, it is real and it is challenging. There are days I can work through it with black coffee, tea and water and others I just need to eat, especially at work.  Yes, it is tough when you lose brain power and I cant do that at work. If you really want to try it, I would say ease into it. So for ex. if you eat in the morning at 8, try waiting until 9 and so on.  That may help your body adjust until you get to the hours you pick.  I jumped right into it and that may of not been the best way to go. Obviously, I made adjustments along the way so when I really needed to eat because I lost brain power, I would.     

I picked the 16/8 starting at 11:30 or 12 oclock. I may switch this up to 10-6pm or thereabouts.  I am not sure I am totally in tune with the rhythm yet but I am getting there.  There were a few nights I lost a bit of control but it only made me realize that I don't want to go back to snacking at all hours of the night.  I am a mindless snacker.  March was a trial month for me so I am hoping April will be better and a bit easier. I am still learning.

One thing I can tell you I get fuller faster so now I just have to stop myself from finishing my plate.

Give yourself time to adjust.  Good luck if you try it.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #607 on: April 02, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
$7 thrift store blender crapped out on me. Quite a few folks on my journal recommended the Magic Bullet. Pretty happy with it on first use, hopefully it proves reasonably durable.

Wicked headache for some reason today. Havenít had a bad headache in a few weeks, used to get them pretty frequently. Hopefully it passes quickly.

@Tris Prior my wife has Reynaudís and frequently just drinks plain hot water when thirsty but she doesnít want tea. Maybe worth trying? Or just do room temperature?
ďThese furry chickens ainít laying no eggs!Ē

thegoblinchief became HarbingerofBunnies for a while and is now furrychickens.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 02, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »
@Tris Prior my wife has Reynaudís and frequently just drinks plain hot water when thirsty but she doesnít want tea. Maybe worth trying? Or just do room temperature?
[/quote]

Yeah, I've done that. I hate it. But it's better than nothing. I don't have Reynaud's but my hands get really really cold sometimes, so it's as much for the handwarming as the hydration.

The restaurant in question tonight has some interesting salads! I feel like it's too cold to eat salad, but I'm probably going to get one anyway. One of them has pomegranates in it. Yum!

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #609 on: April 02, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
My husband just made me drink a HOT vitamin C drink...eww
Still sick, so I emailed the doc...she said it sounds like I am on the tail end of it and to give it another week.  I have already napped this morning and will head back soon.  I donít recall ever being this sick with a cold/flu.  And yes, I did get a flu shot.

It snowed yesterday...15 cm...and itís cool today.  I am not going outside, it hurts my lungs.  This is day three without the gym.  Killing me!  Hope I can get to yoga tomorrow.

I am baking my breakfast muffins right now and I have a confession.  They contain whey isolate...and I know that it has little to no casein so I figured it was ok.  One big scoop in a batch...I eat two mini muffins every morning and have for years.  I would be lost without them.  I figure they are better than yogurt (high in casein) or oatmeal(just messes with me..any grain).  I have a mild egg allergy, so I can eat them once in awhile, but too many and I break out in hives.  Eating is a chore for me.

The muffins are ready to come out of the oven...

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: April 02, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Still off my game on the running front -- could only manage 2 miles today, at a 21:50 time.  Oh well, at least I moved my body,and the per mile average was under 11:00.  Mental health is not the greatest -- sucks to be a ruminator sometimes -- which was probably a factor.  I definitely run better when not in a bad mood.

On a positive note, the sun is still out and I have finished my lunch, so I'm going to head out with my podcasts and get some more gardening done while I can.  The sunshine will hopefully help on the mental health front, too. 
Wherever you go, there you are

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #611 on: April 02, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
I worked outside for many hours today.  I am a great kind of tired.  My fingers are tired from gripping the shovel and rake.  I probably should have had sunscreen on.  It was very therapeutic to dig and get started on garden building.  The seven chickens that live at this house hung out with me most of the day - except when another neighbour showed up with spent grains from his beer brewing.  Chickens love spent grains more than worms.

Seeing the possibilities

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #612 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »
Still sick. Advised work that I won't work tomorrow

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
When my energy started buzzing, and I was clicking endlessly waiting for a paperwork reply, USED THE ENERGY. Went for 70 minute walk -hill, forest, etc. With 4 minutes to my return, the reply came too :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:25:01 PM by jooniFLORisploo »

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #614 on: April 02, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Healthy choices yesterday (Sunday)
- 2 hour afternoon walk around a huge park and a neighborhood with pretty houses had a positive effect on my mental state.
- 12k+ steps
- Did day 17 of core program, even though I didn't really feel like it, but it's important to "show up" and get through it. Mind over matter type of stuff.
- Read a book for leisure, good for my mental state.
- Went to bed at a decent hour and almooost got 8 hours of sleep (fitbit said I was short with 40 minutes of awake time... that's the problem with sleeping with the windows open on a busy street - cars and people can be loud!)

Today
- Morning and afternoon 10-minute-ish walking breaks at work and getting up to get drinking water regularly (help get eyes off the computer screen and reduce vision fatigue)
- Walked for my lunch break - 30 minutes (ate lunch at my desk beforehand to do this).
- Listened to some audiobooks on health-related topics to better inform food choices but honestly just feel like everyone just isolates one factor of good health/nutrition and blows it up into a book.  But still inspired to cut back on grains/wheat or processed foods in general for at least a couple weeks. Next time I meal plan, I will experiment with options.
- Showed up to day 18 of core program. I'm always more excited to exercise right after work because work is so dissatisfying that I actually fantasize about working out as soon as possible!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: April 03, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
I worked outside for many hours today.  I am a great kind of tired.  My fingers are tired from gripping the shovel and rake.  I probably should have had sunscreen on.  It was very therapeutic to dig and get started on garden building.  The seven chickens that live at this house hung out with me most of the day - except when another neighbour showed up with spent grains from his beer brewing.  Chickens love spent grains more than worms.

Love working with chickens. Wish the rules here would let me integrate the chickens more into my garden but Iím not supposed to have them in the front yard, which is where my best garden space is. Ah well.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »

Love working with chickens. Wish the rules here would let me integrate the chickens more into my garden but Iím not supposed to have them in the front yard, which is where my best garden space is. Ah well.
The rules here are the same but my neighbours set their own rules and the chickens have free run of the property and spawn a lot of jokes about chickens and roads.  Heck even their dog walks himself around the neighbourhood. 
Seeing the possibilities

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: April 03, 2018, 07:08:02 AM »

The rules here are the same but my neighbours set their own rules and the chickens have free run of the property and spawn a lot of jokes about chickens and roads.  Heck even their dog walks himself around the neighbourhood.

Lol, well, based on my experience homesteading here Iíd have Ken (code enforcement officer, weíre sadly on a first-name basis) knocking on my door within a week if I did that!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: April 03, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
The work dinner ended up going OK, I guess. It did end up being at the farm-to-table place. The vegetarian option was a sort of gnocchi thing with mushrooms and spinach. Not the healthiest (ugh white flour) but this is one of those places that serves tiny portions arranged like art. So, on the plus side, it wasn't much food and I left still kind of hungry? (It was $18, too! Ouch! I mean, it was expensed so no one actually paid that out of pocket, but still!)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #619 on: April 03, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Yesterday did a quick dip in the newly unfrozen lake..it's so invigorating.
(Going to see how many cold-dip-days I can do in April)

Today going to a hydrotherapy centre which has saunas & cold plunge pools, so maybe no lake swimming (probably good since it snowed last night)

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #620 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Have felt burnt out twice in the last week, so am planning a holiday at home :)
Will involve:
*eating out at an open mic night
*dropping kid off at a youth center at least two long eves
*a swim alone
Will see what else I come up with.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #621 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
Cough is almost gone!  Still have a very bit of sinus action but feeling so much better today ( having slept all of yesterday away)
Got to yoga today...so nice.  Walked a bit first and did some abs.
Making a mango loaf...paleo.  Altered an existing recipe ....fingers crossed.  Basically mango purťe, almond flour, eggs, little coconut sugar...added tapioca flour for better mouth feel, and levening agents.   The mango was about to go so needed to use it up.
No outdoor walk again.  Too cold for the sick lungs.
Making keema, from nom nom paleo, for supper with cauliflower rice.  Itís so yummy.
I need to incorporate an afternoon snack...need to.  Weight at all time low and freaking me out.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #622 on: April 04, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »
Feeling 90%
Doing great on the dairy free challenge.  Hoping now to notice changes, if there are any.
Healthy choices today were going to the gym, walking for half an hour on the treadmill while chatting with a gym buddy then doing a good upper body workout.  Renewed my drivers licence (ok, maybe that has nothing to do with health...man, those five years went by fast), did a long walk with my neighbour, finally, and then took my husband for a nice drive and shopping for potting soil for his milkweed seeds (to attract butterflies).
I think getting away from the house next week will be a great healthy choice.  The never ending frozen ground is wearing on me, so a trip to the island...where it really doesnít freeze much, will be great...I might just fall into a garden centre or two.  Maybe when we ge home most of the snow will be gone...fingers crossed.
I will not think about the price of gas....it is brutal here and even worse in Vancouver and on the island.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: April 04, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
How was the holiday?

I stayed home. On bed rest. And eventually ordered soup. If I had another human living here, they could have microwaved me some soup. But I don't, and I couldn't, so I was smart and healthy and had friends tell me what I needed and then ordered it

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: April 04, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »
Healthy Choices Today:
*got kid to youth center; immersed in 5.5 hours of pure adult time, free of tech to boot
WHEW
*walked six blocks to drop stuff off, removing the stress of trying to reenter freeway at impossible point
*when I finally needed food at 10pm, chose simply salmon + nori sheet
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:02:35 PM by jooniFLORisploo »

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
Yesterday was a good (solo) day
-cooked & froze black beans, chickpeas and coconut/lentil/borage soup *can use any greens but I am trying to use these up..another win
-picked up an armload of books from the library
-started organizing tax papers and didn't have a meltdown about it
-ate well, besides the wine & tortilla chips which happened during tax organizing (decision fatigue set it)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:24:48 AM by Serendip »

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: April 05, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
I am noticing that my hunger is absolutely out of control no matter what I eat, when it is very cold out, especially if the cold snap is sudden. (Went from 50s on Saturday to snow yesterday, and yesterday I could. not. stop. eating. Stomach growling all day long regardless of how much protein and healthy fat and hot herbal tea I put in it.)

Wondering if anyone else notices that. It's not like I can do anything about it, but maybe it'll help me feel less frustrated with my body's demands. Hopefully at some point we'll stop having winter and my body will normalize.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: April 05, 2018, 09:46:05 AM »
Absolutely, Tris! I definitely experience that. Itís intense and overwhelming. I go ahead and eat til my body is happy.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #628 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Absolutely, Tris! I definitely experience that. Itís intense and overwhelming. I go ahead and eat til my body is happy.

Agreed. If my body is screeching for food in an unusual way, I figure that something's going on and that it needs some extra nourishment. I don't think mine is tied to temperature...it really seems to be random.

So, I'm about 2 months in at the cheap gym. I have very mixed feelings about it. There's one yoga teacher that I really like, and I can usually get to her classes 1-2 times a week. I like the teacher on day 3 less, but she's okay enough. I always feel stretched-out and centered after class, which is good, but neither of them have practices that are physically challenging for me. I don't usually work up a sweat and I'm only like "oh hey there abs" once or twice a class. I like the mindfulness component as compared to what I was doing before, but also, I work out because I like to actually work out. I guess my yoga teachers in the past have pushed the physicality more--I remember wobbling out of classes at my college-era Ashtanga studio barely able to walk. It's good that these classes are approachable for people at a wide variety of fitness levels, and that the gym is trying to create an inclusive space. I don't know if it works for me as an individual, though.

The other classes that I could go to on weeknights are not appealing for [reasons], although the weekend schedule is better. I still hate lifting and circuits. I still hate the overall gym atmosphere.

I miss my old studio a lot, but going back is not in the financial cards at the moment. I'll be starting marathon training in June and I'm hoping that I won't miss it as much once that's going on: gentle, centering yoga will be a much better fit when I'm doing something a lot more physically challenging at the same time, as opposed to easy runs a couple days a week. If things still aren't clicking for me by July or August, I'll reevaluate then.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Fluffmuffin...sorry you had to leave your favourite studio..

I am always hungry in the winter...body just wants to add fat.  I will eat more but I know I work hard shovelling, walking...just more calories required to stay warm.  I really try to drinks scads of water also, although when Iím cold itís usually the last thing I want to do.

Healthy choices
Bike, abs and yoga class today.  Thursday yoga is more advance than Tuesday and I love it.  Today we were challenged with a great flow class.  On my own I like to practice the more advanced balance poses (arm balances) and love the challenge even though I generally end up in a crumpled mass on the floor.
Long walk with neighbour and neighbourhood garbage pick up duties.  Yesterday we got two bags of garbage, today one...it annoys me to no end that people just toss trash everywhere!
Good eats
Fed the birds and small mammals...still too much snow here and the critters are suffering.
Off to do some painting now

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #630 on: April 05, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Back on the treadmill today -- 2 miles in 21:43, so a bit better than my last run.  Still can't seem to get my running mojo back, though.  I really should get new shoes.  And some new music - been listening to the same playlist on shuffle since I started running back in what, 2010?

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #631 on: April 05, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »
Healthy Choices Today:
*Walked ~70 minutes, including through forest, up hill, etc
*Gave up on A Thing That Was Getting Too Ridiculous
*Noticed and acknowledged (to myself) that DS is doing GREAT, does not need unnecessary interventions
*Got super assertive with a person
*Laughed, sang, hugged, played my way from peak stress to total ease

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #632 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
- I had a hard conversation with my husband but it was good and we are in agreement about our path forward.
- I think I decided where I'm gonna live next.
- I got some work done instead of being stuck in my feelings.
- I made a therapy appointment (which I now have to change because now I'm flying across the country but still).

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: April 06, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
Arrived at work to discover that both coffee machines (sort of industrial-sized Keurigs, except that's not the brand) had shit the bed - water all over the breakroom floor to the point that facilities was shop-vac'ing up LARGE amounts of flooding. Clearly neither was operational. NOOOOOOOOO! So, ran to the Dunkin' Donuts next to work for coffee and bought ONLY black coffee, NOT any of the donuts that were staring me in the face and taunting me.

I still really want a donut but am not having one!

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #634 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
Healthy choice today was to eat the salad that I brought for lunch (massaged kale from the farmer's market, cherry tomatoes, avocado, chickpeas) instead of going to get pizza to eat my feelings. Work + people today have not been great. But I'm almost done, then it's off to play with my dog in the sunshine. And also, drink beer(s).

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Kicked it up a notch on the treadmill today -- 2 miles in 20:53.  And then I did two more .5 mile runs at 5.0mph. Burned over 500 calories.  Go me!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: April 06, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Hiked with our homeschool group today. 35F with 40-50mph gusts but it was still nice.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: April 06, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
Great job everyone! :D

Healthy stuff for me this lovely rainy Friday:

- Did a HITT work out and the extra credit work out.
- Walked to pick up a prescription instead of driving, and then on my way back, I went to the grocery store and got some fruits, vegetables, wine and chose a kombucha low in sugar. :) Burned 200 calories walking 3.01 miles doing this, which is great considering that if I had just driven, I would definitely not have burned as many calories and definitely not exceeded my step goal today (up to over 14K steps so far!). It's an easy choice for me not to drive, though, because I hate driving in general (mostly dealing with parking). Grateful to live "on the grid" to be able to do this!
- Going to go write more in my planner under the section "good things that happened this week" because it's important to enjoy the little things, maintain a positive mindset, and to have remember to have gratitude for everything I have. Working on that healthy perspective!

Have a nice weekend! :)

albireo13

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: April 06, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »
Chickens are awesome.  We raised a bunch when the kids were younger.  They took care of them and we had fresh eggs.
Fewer ticks in the yard as well.
What the heck is going on ??

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #639 on: April 06, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Got officially weighed today. Busted the weight requirement. Redirected to being officially taped for body fat. Busted the body fat requirements. Celebrated with coffee. Chose to workout after a pretty taxing day, and it felt good. Crawl, galump, lumber, plod, jog, run. That's the order, right?

Tomorrow I'm dropping my bike off at the shop to be assembled*. Then I will go shopping, and buy ingredients for green smoothies. But why do so many smoothies rely on bananas? The only worse food I can think of is spinach. Which, come to think of it..... Shit. Who invented this smoothie business, anyway?

*blah, DIY, blah, costs money, blah. Don't care. No fucks remaining.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #640 on: April 06, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Got officially weighed today. Busted the weight requirement. Redirected to being officially taped for body fat. Busted the body fat requirements. Celebrated with coffee. Chose to workout after a pretty taxing day, and it felt good. Crawl, galump, lumber, plod, jog, run. That's the order, right?

Tomorrow I'm dropping my bike off at the shop to be assembled*. Then I will go shopping, and buy ingredients for green smoothies. But why do so many smoothies rely on bananas? The only worse food I can think of is spinach. Which, come to think of it..... Shit. Who invented this smoothie business, anyway?

*blah, DIY, blah, costs money, blah. Don't care. No fucks remaining.

ha..good work @Sailor Sam--even if you have no more fucks to give.
 bananas aren't necessary but they sweeten and make things creamy so I think people like that. I have been adding frozen cauliflower florets and it does the same thing without the sweetness (and you seriously can't taste it), I sometimes still add one frozen banana and some blueberries.

https://greenblender.com/smoothies/1095/smoothie-recipes-without-bananas
*to be honest I haven't used this as a resource since I'm a smoothie person, I just mix & match what I have, but maybe it will give you some banana-free inspiration

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #641 on: April 07, 2018, 03:21:46 AM »
When the elimination took away my bananas, I used frozen peaches. Raspberry-peach, blueberry-peach, all good.

I often use lettuce or frozen broccoli for the green bits. Amazing greens has a powdered greens that could be handy on a boat.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: April 07, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »
Strawberries are my main fruit component in smoothies. There are cheaper fruits but frozen ones at Costco arenít too bad. They have a low glycemic impact which I like. I thaw them overnight and then add some frozen fruit (currently itís blueberries, which are also low glycemic index) in for the icy element.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #643 on: April 07, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Bananas are popular because they are one of the most inexpensive and widely accessible fruits and act like a neutral filler. I like them to bulk up 'banana date' smoothie with some plant based milk and cocoa powder, personally. I love dates to sweeten smoothies.

Besides the usual suspects (berries) I really enjoy pineapples and mangos. Pineapple is more tart, and mango can be a bit more neutral tasting. A local smoothie place does a lot of unique flavored smoothies imo and my favorite has turmeric, ginger, coconut oil, coconut milk, orange juice, banana, and mango. Cayenne on top makes it interesting!

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
- I had a hard conversation with my husband but it was good and we are in agreement about our path forward.
- I think I decided where I'm gonna live next.
- I got some work done instead of being stuck in my feelings.
- I made a therapy appointment (which I now have to change because now I'm flying across the country but still).

@madgeylou Good work on all these things--tough but necessary conversations are hard but it feels so good to clear the energy between people!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:12:29 AM by Serendip »

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
-Continuing daily micro-adventures with icy lake-dips. Another friend is joining in today.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »
-Continuing daily micro-adventures with icy lake-dips.

Excellent! Both the daily microadventures and this specific one :)

Healthy Choices Yesterday:
*Appropriately called it quits (let some hours of plans go, napped, started again)
*Despite still feeling off, found a way to shift and follow through on two social commitments (they were AWESOME and healing)

Healthy Choices Today:
*Breakfast idea was chicken with rice, coffee with cream. Breakfast choice was: chicken and rice hold the rice, coffee with cream hold the cream.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
Itís so interesting to see what everyone is up to! 
Love bananas...donít mind raw spinach, but despise cooked greens...uggg
Havenít had a smoothie for a week or so...that plant based protein was getting tolerable but now I fear I will have to go through the introduction again...thanks goodness for leftovers today.

Yesterday:
Walk on treadmill, lower body workout, walk with neighbour, good food, expensive haircut for my short, fine, horrid hair....thanks mom and dad....but a good haircut always makes me feel better.
Today:
Bike at gym, awesome ab workout....good food planned.  Raining hard now so hopefully it settles a bit and I can walk this afternoon.  Need to finish my painting projects as they are gifts when we head to the island.

Dog, ten year old lab, has not been herself recently.  She was at the vet a month ago but recently her licking behaviour was getting all consuming so back to the vet, and $350 later we learn she is suffering a urinary tract infection....poor thing.  Lucky sheís sweet....

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
The weatherís pretty bad today so Iíve been mostly curled up on the couch with the boyfriend and the pup. Itís been nice to have a restful, peaceful day: life has been feeling so busy and over-scheduled recently.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: April 07, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »
Last night after an emotional couple of days, I ordered fries and a cheesesteak and ate 1/2 while watching Outlander. Then I slept 10 hours. Excellent stuff.

Today I'm going to Pittsburgh and over the next 48 hours I'm going to get to see half a dozen of my most beloved people <3 and hopefully eat the best Vietnamese food ever! Maybe I'll eat a vegetable, WHOA!