Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 92309 times)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #550 on: March 25, 2018, 05:20:29 PM »
I bought hiking boots! So that I fall on my bum less this summer. And a hammock for about half the price I normally see them....so I can swing on my bum this summer!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2018, 05:54:30 AM »
My healthy choice was to go outside away from kids who were cranky.  Even though the sun was shining there was some little black clouds over people's heads.  Too little sleep, too much socialization. So I went outside and cut away the long stems of plants from last summer and looked for signs of life.  Lenten rose are up, as are the narcissus - if you look really close.

Then I made supper for a neighbourhood family that we like and I wanted to do something nice for.  The mom once quipped that no one ever invites them to dinner (family of six, and very energetic gang, especially the youngest two boys).  Everything turned out super tasty and we had a good time.  I made a blueberry pavlova that the kids just adored.

I did not drink too much wine.  I did overeat ever so slightly. But at just about every turn I was surrounded by tasty foods.  And often that tasty food was made by friends, for me.  I was only uncomfortable on Saturday night, as opposed to being down right ill - and so my healthy choice was to successfully navigate a weekend of socializing and eating without waking up this Monday morning feeling bad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:09:35 AM by Frugal Lizard »

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
Day eight of dairy free.  Feeling close to normal after fighting a cold for five days, but realized at the gym that I am not completely myself yet.  Reduced my normal weights for legs and did fewer reps...but it got done.  Tomorrowís yoga is something I really am looking forward to.  Did a two mile walk at the gym and then another with my neighbour outside.
Still no idea if dairy is problematic for me, but I am doing this for a month so by then I should have answers one way or another.
Boy, constantly snacking on cheese and other dairy laden goodies has me losing weight.  This is not good, I am thin to start with.  Hello almond butter!
Lots of birds at the feeders these days so having a good time watching them and identifying them.  Thatís good for the soul.
Still drinking lots of water and itís time for another glass
Cheers

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »
I got off the el two stops early and walked the rest of the way home, even though the weather was not very nice.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #554 on: March 26, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »
I swammed!

I also paid for a year's worth of MyFitnessPal. Why the hell not?

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #555 on: March 26, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
Brought my own homemade lunch even though they provide food at the monthly staff meeting because let's be honest... food at work (or free food provided nearly anywhere) always sucks.

I got 12,800+ steps today and was feeling extra fidgety and stressed after a long day of work, so I did an additional 45-minute workout after a 30-minute scheduled workout to "get" the endorphins.  It was fun because I discovered a kickboxing/MMA style workout playlist (by Hasfit on youtube) so I figured I might get started with learning a little bit even if it's cardio-kickboxing-ish before I show up to those beginner kickboxing classes this week. :) It's really effective at burning more calories per minute in general since you have to jump around and stabilize your whole body.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »
Three good walks today, two through forest, two with steep hills. Really lovely.

Sang and sang.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2018, 07:15:25 AM »
@imadandylion Thanks for the tip re the Hasfit videos! I'm going to check them out.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
I needed all the food. So I ate it all, but only healthy foods. So even though I felt bloaty last night, I owed for about an hour this morning and felt good again. I think I was just hungry and actually did need that much food

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
-I've been tossing raw cauliflower *and its leaves too* into my smoothies--oddly, it doesn't add any flavour but thickens up the smoothie, cruciferous for the win!

-Started making plans for a multi-day hiking trip this spring with friends

-replanted some houseplants and will tend to them a bit more today/this makes a BIG difference in how I feel

-reading a book about exercise & the brain has helped me do small intervals of INTENSE cardio (think 1-2 min of running/jump rope--full out). Research has shown fantastic results for brain & mental health with these small hits. Low grade depression has lifted.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Continuing to right size my meals and just make the right choices most of the time.  Everyday is not a success but overall it is much better.  March is a trial month for me.  I am getting it. I have started mild exercise of various forms.  Just taking it easy in the beginning until my body and muscles get use to it and then will step up my game.

I am doing intermittent fasting and so far so good.  3 lbs lost.  I did expect to drop at least 5 with no effort in the beginning but at least it is going in the right direction.  And these 3 lbs are real so that is encouraging.  I think this is something I can stick too because I have not eliminated any types of food and that works for me.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
alleykat, talk to me about intermittent fasting, especially how you concentrate and get things done without eating? I tried that this weekend, as I have a really hard time concentrating at work when I'm ravenous, and ended up being way too shaky while running errands.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »
Weekend road trip with the kids to YVR.   On Sunday, rented a tandem bike and did the loop around Stanley Park. The bike was a bit too big and the weather a bit too cold, but at least it only sprinkled a bit and we both had fun.

Yesterday I was wiped out from the trip/the early morning drive back (had to get the kids to school), and did nothing.

Today back to the gym.  Still off my groove with the running thing, but did manage to get to 2 miles in 21:50 before I bagged the running part.  Still hope to get to my 3 in 30:00 goal this week, but if not there is always April!   Still need to get new running shoes -- maybe tomorrow?

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
Sounds like a fun road trip lhamo!

Day nine
Wow, this cold hit me hard.  Still hanging in the lungs, breathing is tough...but getting better (I think).  If the issues continue much longer I will see the doctor.
Did a bike ride at the gym, then a yoga class, followed by a long walk with my neighbour.  Shovelled some snow onto the road to melt as it warmed nicely here today...broke a sweat!
Made some date sweetened vegan brownies.
Weight down again today.  Must eat more....but Iím not hungry. 
Thought about cheeses today....

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Numerophobic Mustachian
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Built some redneck compost bins (but less redneck than the ones they replace!) and watched the chooks go happily to town scratching down the old compost pile.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
I can breathe!   Finally feeling better, had a great upper body workout, a nice walk, some shovelling and I painted! 
Did something really weird today.  I am self imposed dairy free...but what did I do at Costco today?  I took a cheese sample, not even thinking...popped it into my mouth.  One bite and I remembered..spat it out (hopefully privately) and wondered where I left my brain...seriously wtf!
Had a lovely salad with chicken tonight. 

Painting the garden stakes for my son was so fun!  Best healthy choice of the day!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
This is gonna be rough. We're having houseguests this weekend and they eat a lot of bread, chips, packaged sweets, drink a lot of pop, etc., so we feel like it's only polite to have those things in the house while they are here. They will not eat anything that we keep in the house (fruits and veg, lean meat, tofu, beans, brown rice is pretty much what we have on hand these days) and it seems rude to not provide anything they'll eat. I'm going to do my best to keep it to brands and types of junk that I don't really like, in hopes that the weekend will not end in me faceplanting in it and inhaling it greedily. But one thing they requested - bagels for breakfast - is absolutely my kryptonite.

I've already decided that whatever they don't eat while here is going home with them, and if they won't take it, it's going to the office on Monday. But it's going to be really, really hard to not binge on these things while they are here. They're the kind of people who are like "You're not fat, why are you watching what you eat? Go on, eat, eat, eat!" Still having a really hard time controlling my hunger and stopping eating when I've had enough calories if my stomach's still growling - and that's with nothing unhealthy and tempting in the house!

On the plus side, there's an entire plate of homemade shortbread in the breakroom and I didn't touch it. It was close - I LOVE shortbread - but there wasn't much left and I told myself that if I just walked away, it'd be all gone in an hour. Victory!

I absolutely cannot wait for in-season produce. All the fruit I buy lately tastes like sand (and the strawberries - my favorite -  in the store are always either white due to underripeness, or white due to mold!). Unless I spend a ton on it. The other day I bought a perfect honeycrisp apple at Whole Foods. It was delicious. I will not tell you all what I paid for it. Yikes! Frozen fruit has a mushy texture I dislike, though it's fine for smoothies. I keep reminding myself that strawberry season is only 2 months away here...

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #567 on: March 29, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Smoothies are how I deal with the off-season of produce. Though I think frozen raspberries and blueberries are pretty good straight out of the freezer.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
Hey @Tris Prior, can you build yourself a spillway, instead of trying to dam all of it back? Maybe one serving of something you find challenging at each meal, instead of having to constantly tell yourself no. You might not lose weight while the houseguests are in residence, but the spillway should relieve both the social pressure to eat and your internal pressure to be 'good'.

Or maybe you need a different spillway. The longer I'm alive, the more I realize it's all psychology after all. You just have to find your own personal knack.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: March 29, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »
Smoothies are how I deal with the off-season of produce. Though I think frozen raspberries and blueberries are pretty good straight out of the freezer.

Yeah, I do this sometimes, but smoothies are a hard sell for me when it's so freaking cold out. I like to put frozen bananas in them for sweetness and to thicken them up with less need for dairy, but BRRRRRRRRR!

Hey @Tris Prior, can you build yourself a spillway, instead of trying to dam all of it back? Maybe one serving of something you find challenging at each meal, instead of having to constantly tell yourself no. You might not lose weight while the houseguests are in residence, but the spillway should relieve both the social pressure to eat and your internal pressure to be 'good'.

Or maybe you need a different spillway. The longer I'm alive, the more I realize it's all psychology after all. You just have to find your own personal knack.

The trick is stopping at one serving, though, right? :) There is a lot of psychology involved, for sure. And I'm still trying to figure out how to feel less ravenous, other than "eat huge restaurant meal." :)  I feel like I've tried everything, short of adding meat back in after being vegetarian for nearly 30 years, and I'm not willing to do that for ethical reasons. Hopefully I'll eventually hit on something that works.

There will be meals out this weekend too, so I feel like I'm better off saving my cheats for that, rather than inhaling crap that comes in a bag.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Something I do when Iím traveling for work that might help is that I just promise myself I will eat protein for breakfast (I normally have eggs and breakfast meat) and a small-ish lunch (like soup or a grilled cheese or something) and then I can have what I want at night.

Itís not perfect, but it does keep me from filling up on blueberry pancakes at the breakfast buffet and then feeling like shit/reeling out of control all day). I also make sure that I have healthy snacks ó like a beautiful apple, damn the cost!

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: March 29, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
Of course Iím pretty fat so you might not want to take advice from me 😂 But I at least have stopped gaining, which was happening fast and furious when I was traveling for work a lot and not paying attention at all.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #572 on: March 29, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »
madgeylou, we're planning to do similar when we go to London next month - the hotel has a free breakfast buffet included and given London food prices and general COL, it's to our advantage to fill up on that. But filling up on sweet things in the morning isn't going to give us the energy we need to make it through all that sightseeing. I'm actually really looking forward to how active we're going to be there, just in getting from point A to point B.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #573 on: March 29, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
Of course Iím pretty fat so you might not want to take advice from me 😂

Oh, you gave me such a laugh, madgeylou!!

But yep, if a strategy works, it works -a person's current size doesn't tell us it doesn't.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #574 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
Tris...feel for you.  If it was me, I would have a beakfast bagel...but then again I might just kill to eat anything bread related again!  My allergy to wheat blossomed at 50....I truly loved bread and could eat half a fresh loaf, easy, in a sitting!  So enjoy, eat slowly...loving every bite and chew....and have one for me too!  I had an aunt who passed away from cancer when she was in her 50s, and her big regret was eliminating bread because it made her fat (trust me, she was not fat). In the end she could eat nothing...
I do hope it all goes well.  Having food, that they really like,  for the guests at your home is a truly awesome thing...you are a good person.

A little stuffed up still....and kind of bummed.  I was really, really hoping that eliminating dairy would solve some of this....and I know it could still be the cold but darn it all!  I did walk, do abs and enjoyed a yoga class this morning.  Went into my old workplace (retired in November) at the university as I was there getting meat (they have a great meat store with local stuff...hormone and antibiotic free).  It was weird to walk into the classroom...but realized I didnít miss it at all!  Said a quick hi, was invited to tag along on the field trip (freaking cold here,  no thanks very much....) and hustled my butt home.
Painted some more...have a couple of custom orders to play with so that is fun.

Happy Easter.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #575 on: March 30, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »
madgeylou, we're planning to do similar when we go to London next month - the hotel has a free breakfast buffet included and given London food prices and general COL, it's to our advantage to fill up on that. But filling up on sweet things in the morning isn't going to give us the energy we need to make it through all that sightseeing. I'm actually really looking forward to how active we're going to be there, just in getting from point A to point B.

@Tris Prior My mom and I were in London earlier this month, and it's amazing how much walking we did without even particularly trying! Let me know if you need or want any tips for things to check out :)

One affordable, tasty food option that we loved was the Borough Market. I had this amaaazing cauliflower + daal bowl from a Gujarati food truck: so delicious, healthy, and pretty cheap (for London).

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #576 on: March 30, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
Yes please! We have a vague list of stuff we want to do but always open to more, particularly places to eat that are both carnivore and veg-friendly. We like Indian and curries a lot so we figure we'll be eating a lot of that. I've been there before but it was nearly 20 years ago.  I'll have to look up the Borough Market, thanks!

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
@Sun Hat Hope you liked it! One of those workouts got my shoulders and back muscles pretty sore for a couple days!

I got to try a free cardio kickboxing workout last night, and that was really fun. Really nice workout with punchy music, and I appreciated being able to punch and kick punching bags instead of shadow boxing.  Thankfully, I have already worked out for about 3 weeks, so I managed to do it all and keep up, although my heart rate was definitely up there!  Just a few weeks ago my muscles were really inflexible, especially my hamstrings, and I couldn't last through 30 seconds straight of most core exercises, but now I'm able to.  It's good to see progress. We are scheduled for a free beginner at another kickboxing place. Really enjoying cardio kickboxing as a workout - the punching and kickboxing is a great stress reliever!  I borrowed 2 ebooks from the library about kickboxing training and have been reading them, but to be honest it's a bit confusing how you're supposed to "follow" a workout that's... written (instead of a video format)? I guess it's not that hard, I just probably need to set up my own timer. Anyway, one of them is a 12-week guide and I am considering trying that, especially if I don't end up signing up for those studios/gyms after all.  Then we had a healthy quinoa and sweet potato bowl with shredded cruciferous vegetables like kale and cabbage with miso ginger dressing.  I don't know about anyone else, but there's just something about a good workout that just makes you crave healthier, lighter foods, and for me it doesn't really have to do with not wanting to "undo" the hard work. :)

I've been wearing my new cross trainers at work with my normal business casual work clothes to go on walks or just to stand at my standing desk because I don't have an anti-fatigue mat, and they've been uber comfortable for my feet. I've also surprisingly gotten a lot of comments on them at work and out and about (they're really "loud" in color scheme), which helps reinforce the idea that it was a good decision and money well spent (especially for the health benefits, lol). Yay!

Oh, and starting week 3 of the Fitness Blender core program today. Yay! 2 weeks down, 2 to go. Today's workout will be about 45 minutes, including the extra credit round. The main workout just happens to be a cardio kickboxing workout. :D Woohoo!! I have definitely felt like my legs and core are stronger. And the original reason for starting to work out again - lower back discomfort - has pretty much been eliminated from day 1.

It's such a nice day and the weather has suddenly warmed out after a lot of rainy/cloudy days.  Hoping to go for a walk later to get a chai in almond milk and visit a nearby park this weekend and check out the tennis courts. :)  I haven't played tennis in a while, but even running around chasing the ball rolling around the court is good exercise!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:34:29 PM by imadandylion »

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: March 30, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
Good work @imadandylion --sounds like you are on a great path! Healthy choices everywhere :)

Getting a health assessment by a herbalist for mild depression *free since it's a student, so I will be a case study

Just filling out the form has been great--realized that this grey fog started last fall when I developed a chronic hip tendonitis..so that pain has really limited my activity. Somehow, knowing this helps.
The pain has been decreasing but still flares up if I am too active (and I really, really want to increase my fitness levels so I need to get creative!)
I am generally a skier, hiker, walker, jogger..but this is all too high impact currently. Might increase yoga (I tend to stick to gentle yoga) or even try a spin class..

Currently icing my knees after walking home (4km)..I feel like the unhealthiest healthy person I know!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:09:25 PM by Serendip »

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #579 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »
Serendip...OMG, imalso,consider myself,to,be the unhealthiest healthy person....
I totally blame crappy genes, I swear I could not live any better...but still stuff happens to me.
Onwards and upwards...

Day twelve no dairy (I think).  I want cheese.  No cheese, I will not eat you.  Ok, this had to be more than a cold, I say that only because my husband has been sick for three days...and he doesnít get sick.  I am still coughing and the nose is runny.  I feel ok though...
I did go to,the gym, a two mile walk on treadmill, lower body weights, walk with friend, walk with husband....made a paleo Apple cake and a yummy supper.  Bleached the entire house...
Painted too.
Still no idea if dairy is bad for me...I will go a month.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
@Serendip can empathize! Iíve got crappy joint genes from both sides, though if family genetics are any indication I should live well into my 90s even while hobbled a bit.

A thing to watch for in more natural approaches to depression is the highly variable nature of herbal active ingredients. Some folks are ridiculously sensitive to agents that alter brain chemistry. My sister, for instance, canít even take generic SSRI medication because the QC tolerances on generic potency versus the name brand are too wide. Good luck! Iíve had issues with depression and anxiety ever since 19.

Something maybe worth trying is looking at diet to see if maybe you have some foods that are triggering inflammation? Some people get pretty impressive results with diet modification but it takes a lot of trial and error with food journaling to figure out what your specific triggers might be, and maybe you donít have any. Just something I thought worth mentioning.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »
@Bendigirl  & @furrychickens --thanks for the support. We just all have to work with what we've got, right?  It's a funny situation to have time to work out (and the desire) but  be ubable to figure out what things to do where I won't injure myself   :)

I live in a very active community so it's a bit of a social handicap to have to regulate my activity like this but have to find the right balance (I also work a physical job). I am used to feeling strong/healthy, so this is a bit of a conundrum...but recognize the need to work with self-compassion around it.

As for inflammatory foods, that's an interesting point. I eat a fairly healthy diet, mostly plant-based/whole-food but we do drink beer/wine fairly frequently. Maybe I'll try cutting it out and see if it helps.  Had a cider tonight but will eliminate for the week (to start) and go forward from there.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: April 01, 2018, 04:48:52 AM »
Well, just because itís plant based doesnít mean that portion might not be a trigger as well. For example, soy, other dry legumes/pulses, grains, and nuts are common potential plant sources of inflammation. I personally have to avoid soy, other pulses, and peanuts.

To give an extreme example, someone I know from a keto group has discovered heís very sensitive to plant based lecithins (mainly almonds in his case) and will have a pretty strong inflammatory response if he adds it back into his diet. Heís someone who eats close to carnivore eating, and thatís what works to keep inflammation down in his body.

Just giving additional food for thought. I know a lot of folks benefit from WFPB here but itís not the solution for everyone :)

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #583 on: April 01, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
Happy Easter!

Yesterday was horrid....cold/flu round two...yippee.  In my sinuses big time, no sleep Friday night...so I crawled into bed after lunch and slept.  Put my head over a bowl of hot water and breathed in the steam, did some facial massage...and bam...cleared right up!  Still have a headache but I feel so much better today. 
End of week two with of the dairy free challenge. Husband says I need to eat cheese again as going dairy free just made me sick.  Had to get that logic out of my head as the cheese is calling me...
Weight is way down, despite husband feeding me constantly yesterday.  He cut up an apple and paired it with about half a jar of almond butter...oh, my...
My doctor says I am not the typical Hashimotos patient, as often they gain weight with the under active thyroid.  I suppose that makes me lucky....
I need to stay away from sugar, alcohol, wheat and grains....so sometimes food is limited (oh yeah, dairy too). Calories are hard to come by (no processed food either).  My big fear....developing an allergy to almonds...I bake with them, eat them raw, and eat the butter...

Calling for snow today.  Seriously...no April fools joke.  Worst spring ever.

Healthy choices today.  Good food, lots of water and off to the craft room to paint.  No Easter celebrations here.  Kid lives on the island (Vancouver island) and we will see him and DIL in a couple of weeks.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #584 on: April 01, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
ahh yes, gotcha @furrychickens
I rarely consider those things since I haven't had to deal with many food sensitivites.
Will do some self- investigating into potential triggers, maybe keep a food/activity journal for april :)

- healthy choices : took the weekend off activity to fully rest--and woke up feeling quite good today,
                           so will have a yoga session at home & enjoy a short walk before work

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #585 on: April 01, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
@Bendigirl --hope you feel better pronto!  We have flurries today as well :/

Can you eat legumes at all? If so, I have a tasty coconut lentil soup recipe I could share..

Also, does anywhere near you have a good selection of other nuts/butters? Raw cashews, tahinis, hazelnut, sunflower seeds? I make hemp seed milk and oat milk and drink homemade tumermic lattes (with cashews & ginger) and blended matcha drinks which are a spicy, tasty source of calories.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:49:38 AM by Serendip »

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #586 on: April 01, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
Healthy Choices:
Sleeping pill last night
While surrounded by easter hunt results, ate only Cauli Shepherd's Pie for breakfast
Aiming for two socials today in case the second one cancels (soul needs at least one today)

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #587 on: April 01, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
@Serendip Thank you. :) I'm hoping to ingrain this as part of my lifestyle. I was doing pretty good with this last year until I injured myself. Hopefully now I know more about total body health and what muscles are important to strengthen and can avoid this. Lately I have been feeling like my shoulders are sort of coming together (probably due to bad posture at the desk job, despite trying to pay attention to that and use the standing desk) so I am going to try to incorporate more chest exercises in because I feel like that area can be so knotted feeling.

Could you do swimming? This can be considered a low-impact exercise and you can still challenge yourself with the different stroke techniques or take it easy.  I love swimming and hope to practice that maybe once a week, once the pool opens around here in May.

I really enjoyed the beginner class yesterday, which was apparently just boxing and not kickboxing! It was definitely more of what I expected, though, which is training to be more accurate and focused on technique, vs cardio kickboxing, with a trainer with real experience. I'm still surprised how tiring and sweaty I can get from throwing consecutive combinations of jabs/crosses/hooks/uppercuts is! I am still interested in at least taking a separate self-defense class, though, since it's a good skill for life... so many classes to consider, so little time...

I have been considering reducing wheat in my diet to reduce inflammation/bloating but to be honest, I don't know a lot about it. I checked out a few ebooks from the library which villify wheat, so we'll see. It's all experimental, though, and I'm sure that even if it does help I would still end up having wheat in my diet because I just love all forms of noodles.

Does anyone else experience bloating after exercise? I feel like I have been getting that specifically from working out because I haven't changed my diet. The bloating is especially pronounced when I do core-intensive exercises.  I read that it can be "beginner's bloat"/water retention when you first get back into exercising, probably something to do with injuring the muscles and recovery, but I can't say for sure. It's day 17 today, and this morning I woke up looking actually normal and not bloated, and it seems like body recomposition is more apparent, so perhaps the "beginner's bloat" is subsiding; I am also not experiencing as intense of a level of DOMs as before and can get by without foam rolling (but really should do this anyway).

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: April 01, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
The houseguests have left, and took the bagels and junk food with them. I did not eat any, hooray!

Yesterday we all went out for brunch and I had eggs with vegetables mixed in, and hash browns. Not the healthiest choice, but hey, I said no to the Nutella pancakes!

Then we went out dancing and that was a pretty good and fun workout. Arrived home at 1 a.m. starving, and our guests wanted to order pizza. Sigh. At least I stopped eating it before I was full?

On the plus side, my phone's step counter app tells me I got 16,000 steps in just due to the dancing.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #589 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
like a beautiful apple, damn the cost!

You guys - I found gorgeous and tasty honeycrisp apples for NINETY NINE CENTS/LB on Friday! Normally $4/lb! I am inordinately excited about this.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
Too sick to do my planned meal prep.... But to avoid wasting food I modified by making a bean salad, sauteeing some zucchini, pan roasting garlic, and soon to finish up a sweet potato soup

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2018, 07:10:54 PM »
The houseguests have left, and took the bagels and junk food with them. I did not eat any, hooray! [and] said no to the Nutella pancakes!

WOW!!! Tris, those are really awesome!! What accomplishments!!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
like a beautiful apple, damn the cost!

You guys - I found gorgeous and tasty honeycrisp apples for NINETY NINE CENTS/LB on Friday! Normally $4/lb! I am inordinately excited about this.

The grocery store I go to has had really nice Honeycrisp (my kidsí favorite, but I donít buy them if thereís a large price premium) at $0.99/lb for a few weeks now. Theyíre a bit smaller but considering they often go for $2-3/lb even in season Iím surprised, unless the orchard sourcing them had a huge glut of a crop and theyíre worried about not selling before their storage life ends? Honeycrisp store very well but nothing stores forever.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2018, 09:13:29 PM »
The grocery store I go to has had really nice Honeycrisp (my kidsí favorite, but I donít buy them if thereís a large price premium) at $0.99/lb for a few weeks now. Theyíre a bit smaller but considering they often go for $2-3/lb even in season Iím surprised, unless the orchard sourcing them had a huge glut of a crop and theyíre worried about not selling before their storage life ends? Honeycrisp store very well but nothing stores forever.

Yeah, that's what I figured - but they taste fine. (Unlike the severely marked down strawberries that were either unripe or moldy, which I assume were in the same situation.) Hooray!

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: April 02, 2018, 04:32:49 AM »

Yeah, that's what I figured - but they taste fine. (Unlike the severely marked down strawberries that were either unripe or moldy, which I assume were in the same situation.) Hooray!

I donít ever buy strawberries out of season anymore. Theyíre either poor in taste, poor in shelf life, or both.  Apples are the staple fresh fruit in my house, but weíll get the occasional grape, orange, or banana as a treat.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #595 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »
We should buy more apples.  Our kid LOVES berries and bananas, so we buy a lot of those, but it's expensive in the winter and you're right, the berries don't even taste that good.

I've noticed that my hands have been really puffy in the mornings a few days this last week, but I can't figure out exactly why, because there are multiple possible factors.  Apparently my days of not drinking enough water just miraculously are the same as days where I eat too much sugar and don't get enough sleep.  Yeah, that's almost certainly not a coincidence.  At least I've noticed!  I'm trying to drink a minimum of one nalgene (32 oz) a day, preferably closer to two, but I don't drink as much water when I'm at home, and I just had a 5 day weekend (which was admittedly awesome).  At work I'm sitting at my desk with my water bottle right there next to me, and it makes meeting my goal much easier. 

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
chaskavich, I find it SO hard to drink enough water when it's freezing cold outside (and when it's also freezing cold in my office!). I bought (facepunch!) a fun big plastic glass with a straw to keep at my desk to hopefully encourage me.

Tonight I'm supposed to go to a work dinner because my boss's boss is in town (she works at headquarters, many states away). It's not decided where we are going, but it sounds like it's going to be a farm-to-table restaurant whose menu changes daily, so I cannot look up their menu to see what healthy things I could order. Last time, the only thing on the menu that was vegetarian was deep-fried.  I guess I could call them and see what they have today, once I find out if this is indeed where we are going? If there's nothing healthy and vegetarian to order, though, I guess I am stuck. This is making it very difficult to plan types and quantities of food to eat for the rest of my day.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
@imadandylion --yes to swimming! I am eager for it to warm up as I don't like chlorine so much..but was considering taking swim lessons if the rec centre offers them. I can swim but not really a distance swimmer (yet)

healthy choice:  Yesterday a friend and I did our first quick dip in a local lake (during a mild spring blizzard) Cold baths are also supposed to help elevate norepinephrine which can reduce symptoms of depression as well :) Might go again today and see how many times in April we can muster.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:37:41 AM by Serendip »

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
Healthy Choices Today:
*recorded weight
*scheduled an afternoon rest in my beautiful bedroom
*singing

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Health is a marathon, not a sprint. Everyone knows that to successfully complete a marathon, your body needs carbs, so yesterday, I baked and ate a loaf of bread. Then, I had the best night's sleep that I've had in ages and woke full of pep. Coincidence, I think not!  ;)