Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 91125 times)

jane x

• Pencil Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
Have been really tempted to eat lots of carbs lately.  Part of it is that my weight is holding steady, so no weight loss to motivate me.  Also, I'm mentally exhausted from the trying to figure out what upsets my stomach thing.  I compromised by buying some Atkins candy bars for a treat when the willpower is buckling.  They taste just like the real thing and trick the brain too but don't cause the dreaded cravings. 

I've been focusing on the non-weight aspects that this eating plan is providing me to keep myself on track (although it's hard sometimes): my bad knee never hurts anymore, my plantar fasciitis pain is gone, I don't look bloated (especially my face), my skin looks good, my energy level is much better, etc... 

@Bendigirl - I've had to give up dairy too as I have an allergy and I've been really surprised at how much I like soymilk in my coffee and tea.  I tried coconut milk and it was too oily, almond milk was too watery, and as a last resort I tried soy.  I don't eat sugar so everything I've tried is unsweetened, and the organic soy is the closest thing I've found to dairy cream.  I've read that some Asian stores sell fresh soymilk and I've thought about seeking that out, but for now the store-bought stuff is pretty good.  Eventually I hope to try making some dessert stuff with it.

@Tris Prior - We recently discovered the Kirkland brand protein bars and dh and I have both been impressed with how filling they are.  They are quite dense and chewy so you're mouth gets a workout!  And they are low-carb so don't cause any cravings.

ETA - does anyone else get exhausted from decision-making fatigue?  We're remodeling our kitchen and doing some other sprucing up stuff around the house and I find myself just exhausted at all the choices and decision-making that this entails.  First world problems for sure, but exhausting all the same. 

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: March 22, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Thanks, jane! I will try those. I've been avoiding protein bars because of the sugar - since you're off sugar I assume these don't have any?

And yes, I totally get decision fatigue. And it's way harder for me to control my eating when I have decision fatigue, since healthy eating requires so much planning and thought for me. So much easier to just call in a pizza or some thai takeout.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »
ETA - does anyone else get exhausted from decision-making fatigue?

YES!!!!

It's why I have no table or chairs currently, etc. There are only so many decisions I can make in a day or week. Mustachianism demands so many -more than I can actually do so I regularly "quit while I'm ahead."

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: March 22, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
Jane x, Iíll give the soy milk a go, thanks.....question for,you.  I saw that you mentioned the Kirkland protein bars (very similar to the quest bars I love)..but they are whey based.  Do you have a problem with this or is whey ok with your milk allergy?  If casein is my issue the bars should be ok.  I took a case of quest bars with me to Vietnam, just in case...but didnít eat even one.

I think this is day six.  Well, I have a cold.  SOB!  How am I supposed to follow my progress when I am stuffed up with a cold...grrr.  No symptom check up today
Despite feeling chesty and stuffy, I went to yoga (no, I wasnít coughing so I think itís ok) and will be walking soon. 

Whoops, walk time...
Pea protein was tolerable today!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: March 22, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
Add me to team decision making fatigue!

I am bummed about one thing that happened today, and happy about another.

Bummer:  I totally blew it on my workout this morning.  I had intended to try to hit my 3 miles in 30 minutes goal, but then I pushed up the speed too fast (went up to 6.5 mph in 2.5 minutes to try to make up for the fact that I started at 5.5) and got my heart rate too high, and even though I slowed it back down I still couldn't get my heart rate into a reasonable range, so I stopped running and walked a bit after 1.9 miles running.  But my heart rate still was stuck in the 140s so I ended up walking 4 minutes rather than my usual 1-2 minute recovery time. I did finish off running, but it took me longer to cover 3 miles than it did yesterday when I did 2:3 intervals and had excellent heart rate recovery times.   Blah.  Oh well, at least I got my butt in the gym.  I think I need to do some 1 mile runs at a flat 6.0 mph pace, with 1-2 minute recovery walks between, then work up to 1.5 miles at that pace, and then finally a straight 6.0 paced 3 mile run.  But I find that so darn boring -- usually starting slower then picking up the pace for awhile and then dropping back down to recover and building up again keeps me more interested/motivated. 

Good stuff:  Friend from grad school I have been trying to get together with had a cancelled meeting -- suggested going out for lunch but I remembered I had food in the fridge I am trying to use up so suggested she come to my place instead.  It was great.  She loved my noodles and we had an excellent catch up chat.  Seeing good friends is indeed good for the soul!  Must do it more often.....

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
In an effort to eat more vegetables, I had a whole avocado and two beets today (besides that, I've had water, rice with herbs, and a cup of tea. Not sure if I'll have more before bed).

I started prepping some more vegetables for future consumption -- red cabbage and jalapeno sauerkraut. Not much moving around today. Really hoping I have more inspiration when spring hits!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
In an effort to eat more vegetables, I had a whole avocado and two beets today...

Nice :))))   Also delicious sounding. I think I will add avocado to my dinner tonight. I bought a batch of frozen avo chunks, in hopes of avoiding the issues of fresh.

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
In an effort to eat more vegetables, I had a whole avocado and two beets today...

Nice :))))   Also delicious sounding. I think I will add avocado to my dinner tonight. I bought a batch of frozen avo chunks, in hopes of avoiding the issues of fresh.

That sounds great, jooni! When I was visiting my grandparents, someone got them three avocados, not knowing they'd never dream of eating them, so I got to take them home :). A win for me!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Does avocado freeze/thaw well? Do report back! I would eat far more of them if not for that seemingly 15-minute window you get between "hard as a rock" and "oops, waited too long, now it's brown mush."

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
Does avocado freeze/thaw well? Do report back! I would eat far more of them if not for that seemingly 15-minute window you get between "hard as a rock" and "oops, waited too long, now it's brown mush."

lol, EXACTLY!!! I buy them in nets of 5, so find myself eating 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-FIVE! Will let you know how the thawed version goes :)   I think they mean they more for smoothies, but I'm going to try them whole.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »
Day, um, something. No wins today. I will try again tomorrow.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »

You stayed alive?

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

You stayed alive?

Yes. Quite alive.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
Yes. Quite alive.

Excellent work, Sailor Sam! Not everybody did this today. You win!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »
Did you eat a nourishing food and drink some hydrating water?

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Yes. Quite alive.

Excellent work, Sailor Sam! Not everybody did this today. You win!

Good point!

Did you eat a nourishing food and drink some hydrating water?

Lotsa water, yes. Nourishing might come down to an opinion on fat vs low fat. ;)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
Dude, I just made up an 18 minute song in which (by the time I reached the end I'd forgotten that) you and me staying alive today featuring strongly at the opening. Nice.

So, NOW, not only did you
(1) stay alive and
(2) drink water,
you also
(3) inspired my third song-writing go in my whole life!

Look at you go!

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
Dude, I just made up an 18 minute song in which (by the time I reached the end I'd forgotten that) you and me staying alive today featuring strongly at the opening. Nice.

So, NOW, not only did you
(1) stay alive and
(2) drink water,
you also
(3) inspired my third song-writing go in my whole life!

Look at you go!

this is all fantastic :)

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #518 on: March 23, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
@Tris Prior - the sugar in the protein bars is one of the artificial ones and doesn't cause any cravings or elevated insulin.  If you're avoiding artificial sweeteners, then you would want to avoid them. 

@Bendigirl - you know, initially I bought the bars for DH and I assumed the whey protein would be a problem, based on some cursory googling of dairy allergy. But I tried one of them and I was fine.  Since then, I've had about one per day (for about 2-3 weeks) and I haven't had any reaction.  That said, I was fine eating cheese everyday for a while too.  Until I wasn't.  Then I started breaking out in hives every time I ate dairy, even in small amounts. I figure my body will let me know if they are problematic and I'll give them up if that's the case.  I haven't done a lot of research into dairy allergy so I don't know much about it.  I'd be interested in what you've learned about it. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Does avocado freeze/thaw well? Do report back!

Reporting!

I set some out to thaw in the fridge overnight. They were still 1/3 frozen when I tasted one as is, and I didn't like it -mealy. But then I dumped a bunch in with my breakfast (essentially beef stew topped with leafy greens) and they were a fabulous addition! So plain, no. Added to anything, YES!!

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: March 23, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
"No greater gift exists than a life of unrestrained love and joy."  Christine Ann Lawson

I've been thinking about this quote for a couple of days.  It's such a big goal, but so small and achievable too.  Do I treat myself with unrestrained love?  How about those around me, those I love?  I think joy is a result, not an action.  But I think it would flow naturally from the expression of unrestrained love.  And that part is very doable.  Yesterday I started telling all my beloved creatures (human and nonhuman) that I love them at least once a day.  And I did it mindfully, really making an effort to connect with each one as I said it.  And I can attest that it did indeed result in lovely doses of joy each time.  A deep and gentle kind of joy. 

And then I had an insight.  Last weekend I was proud of myself for being very productive and felt a real sense of accomplishment.  I even posted on here about it because it was a serious of healthy choices executed over the course of two days, even when I was tired.  After I posted I felt kind of ridiculous and I deleted the post.  The thought that went through my mind was, "What am I doing?  Am I looking for applause just for living my life?"  And I thought that was foolish, to want approval just for doing the everyday tasks of living a normal healthy life. 

But afterwards I felt a bit depressed for a few days.  Kind of let down and sad.

Last night it dawned on me:  Yes!  I do deserve applause for living a normal healthy life!  YES!  After what I've been through, the challenges I've overcome, I damned well deserve a standing ovation.  Even if that standing ovation is just from me.  I deserve that.  I've earned it.  And it's something to be celebrated.  Every day.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this on here because it's about healthy choices.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:56:18 AM by jane x »

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: March 23, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
YES!  After what I've been through, the challenges I've overcome, I damned well deserve a standing ovation.  Even if that standing ovation is just from me.  I deserve that.  I've earned it.  And I should be proud of it, not embarrassed.  It's something to be celebrated.

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::also, insert so much applause here::

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #522 on: March 23, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
YES!  After what I've been through, the challenges I've overcome, I damned well deserve a standing ovation.  Even if that standing ovation is just from me.  I deserve that.  I've earned it.  And I should be proud of it, not embarrassed.  It's something to be celebrated.

You are the sweetest thing!  Thank you.  And thank you for the applause, it does warm my heart.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:02:13 PM by jane x »

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: March 23, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
Yes, indeedy -- hearty cheerleading and affirmation from lhamoland for you, jane x!

Much of the world these days is so relentlessly negative and depressing.  I think we should feel damn proud and happy that we've managed to secure a little corner of the interwebs to celebrate the healthy and happy!

And yes, I know I use too many exclamation points!!!!!

Kind of meh on my own health stuff today.  Ate honey nut cheerios for breakfast, as I was trying to use up some milk before it goes bad, but then could NOT face running at the gym this morning (probably because the sugar hit wore off right about the time I stepped on the treadmill).  I did incline walking instead, which actually burns more calories and gets my butt in shape.  But no closer to my 3 miles in 30 minutes goal. There's always next week, I guess.  And I did move my body!  Which is good, because it is pouring rain and the only movement my body is going to get the rest of the day is typing here and walking over to the couch eventually for a nap....

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #524 on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »

I second that and ::insert applause here::  The very enthusiastic cupped hand type.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Numerophobic Mustachian
« Reply #525 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »
Wonderful hike with our homeschool group today. Havenít gotten much activity beyond chores this week but took a quick bike ride yesterday and now a hike today. Definitely want to go back to this place again either by myself or just with my family where we can hike it faster and longer distance than you can in a big group with lots of young kids.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #526 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »
Thanks Jane x for the protein bar clarification.  I am hoping that I can eat some whey also, will experiment when my month is up.
And you do deserve a standing ovation!  We all do!  I get so frustrated with my own body, I do everything right but my genetics just mess with me always.  When I look back and see what I have survived I am so grateful I fought the fight!

Itís pretty darn hard telling if you are less mucousy when you have a cold.  I have no idea if this dairy free is working for me or not, but am hoping when the cold clears I will be super clear. 
Day six, doing good, minus the cold part of it.  Did go to the gym and did a super lazy bike ride (cleaning the machine well when I was done) and some abs.  Nice long walk with neighbour also. No pea drink today, thank goodness for leftovers.  Really not missing the dairy, even when sweet husband crunches on cheese and crackers.  Went to the health food store today but they had no interesting coffee cream subs...man that store is expensive!   Thank goodness Superstore has a ďHeath foodĒ aisle.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: March 23, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Standing ovations all around!
I enjoy hearing everyones updates--small or large, it is lovely to celebrate--and it can't always be big maneuvers, sometimes it is just putting yourself in the mindset of healthy choices that will lead to more in the future.

Today--I went skiing by myself (there was a huge amount of snowfall last night). Enjoyed a couple hours on the mountain solo (normally I wait to go with people) but I only wanted to go for a few hours before work, and it was perfect.

My SO is returning home after being away for three weeks, so I went and bought his favorite beer, cheese & baguette. Ha. Not my usual shopping but he will be pleased and it will feel like a proper Friday eve :)
I am also going to cook up brussel sprouts & a coconut miso noodle soup. It's snowing out so feels right to set a cozy feel inside.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Was getting very hungry in the real world, nothing out there matching my current eating plan. Hung in, got home, threw three ingredients into a pot (frozen cod, ghee, salsa). Delish!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Sent my kid to bed at...bedtime! He's been pushing the limits the last several days -playing til the last minute then suddenly needing to prepare food, eat, chat at length- then wired and awake til super late, with me up and frustrated as a result. Tonight, the jig was up! You don't bother doing stuff before bedtime? It's still bedtime, see ya tomorrow. Mama wants to do some baking, enjoy in peace, and go to sleep!

Made pretty much this: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-vegan-strawberry-crumble/  (Skipped the two sugars, used the rest of my frozen cranberries + mixed sweeter berries, ghee vs CO, skipped the whole-almonds step, etc.) SO GREAT!! Mama really needed to make a dish she got to enjoy all of :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:43:36 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2018, 07:24:54 AM »
Had another night where my drinking got away from me. I have a really high tolerance, so hard liquor tends to really sneak up on me. Iíll have ďjust one moreĒ and then all of sudden I am wrecked.

I think Iím ready to finally say I need to cut hard liquor out of my life. Iíve said it before, but maybe this time Iíll stick to it.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
Oof. Arrived at friend's party last night, ravenous. Had to go straight from work so no time to stop home and eat. The only food there was chips, pretzels, and cookies. Now I feel like crap. I was too hungry not to succumb, and had thought there would be some sort of main dish served as was the case at her other parties.

Instead of cake, the birthday girl had a huge pile of macarons. She handed me one, I bit into it - and, YUCK. Oh my god, SO sweet. I tried to fob it off onto my sugar-monster Boyfriend when she wasn't looking, and even HE thought it was too sweet and refused mine. So I guess my cutting sugar is having at least some effect on my palate?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2018, 09:41:54 AM »
joon, that crumble looks SO good! I have a ton of strawberries in my freezer.

Does anyone have a good source for inexpensive almond flour? I see a lot of healthy baking recipes that call for it, but the cheapest I've seen here is $9.99 for what I thought was a fairly small bag.

I wonder if it would work with oat flour?

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
joon, that crumble looks SO good! I have a ton of strawberries in my freezer.

Does anyone have a good source for inexpensive almond flour? I see a lot of healthy baking recipes that call for it, but the cheapest I've seen here is $9.99 for what I thought was a fairly small bag.

I wonder if it would work with oat flour?

Costco or Samís. I use almond flour quite a bit (fathead pizza). At Costco it is about $3.50/lb for a 3lb bag, I believe Samís is similar in price.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
Harbinger...good luck with the alcohol.  Although I never drank much...maybe once a year, after my bout with acute pancreatitis I was warned to never, ever have alcohol again.  Think about a happy pancreas!
Almond flour...ugg, in Canada we pay $17.99 for 1.36 kg (about three pounds) at Costco.  Itís the only flour I use as I donít do grains.
Well, feeling pretty darn sorry for myself today.  I was hoping the cold would be backing off by now, but no.  I have Kleenex stuffed in all my pockets...didnít last long at the gym, a quick walk on the treadmill.  Bummer.
Drinking lots of water!
Some thoughts....recently, in the mornings mostly and before I stopped dairy, my eyes would feel unfocused and puffy on the inside...hard to explain.  Yesterday I realized that the feeling had gone away.  Cool...dairy related or not I will take it!  Another thing.  I developed a strange rash, or discolouration on my hip a few years ago.  Worried, I went to the doc but she didnít know what it was (not cancer) and said she would biopsy it if it got inflamed.  Itís not itchy or anything...just odd.  Reacts to hot water by getting very red.  I noticed a few days ago that it seemed to be fading.  Maybe itís all in my head but wouldnít that be nice if dairy was causing the rash.
Really hoping this cold goes away soon and see if this dairy free experiment is helping.

Making some vegan, gluten free mango cupcakes today...with coconut whip cream!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
Made pretty much this: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-vegan-strawberry-crumble/  (Skipped the two sugars, used the rest of my frozen cranberries + mixed sweeter berries, ghee vs CO, skipped the whole-almonds step, etc.) SO GREAT!! Mama really needed to make a dish she got to enjoy all of :)

Recording what I actually did, so I can make in my simpler way again. I think the cranberries are really nice, because they have a tartness like rhubarb and rhubarb baking is always a favourite flavour for me.

In a Pyrex mixing bowl:
*2 cups any berries (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, etc) or other fruit (peaches, etc)
*1 tbsp arrowroot powder + dash of lemonjuice
*stir all to coat berries
*put in fridge

In a second bowl, drop all in then mix loosely with hands to crumbly texture:
*3/4 cup almond flour
*1/4 cup ghee
*1/4 cup shredded coconut
*1/2 tsp (ish) pure vanilla extract
*1/2 tsp (ish ground cinnamon
*salt

Sprinkle crumbliness on top of berries.
Bake at 375 for 30 mins.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
Whoa, that's much cheaper! I'll have to see who I know that has a membership to one or the other. With no car, and given the distance/non-public-transit-friendliness to Costco, a membership doesn't make sense for me.

I just googled and there are literally NO Sam's Clubs in the city of Chicago! Huh. I did not know that.

Today I forced myself to run errands on foot even though it's 34 degrees and windy out and the el stop is right there.

Harbinger, I too overindulged in wine last night, apparently. I had 2 glasses, which does not seem excessive to me, but as I've greatly reduced my intake, I guess it hits me harder now. I didn't feel that drunk, and today I'm not exactly hungover, but it definitely sapped my energy and my stomach isn't too happy.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
I exercised, short but sweet. And I ate vegetables.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #538 on: March 24, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
@Tris Prior do you have WinCo where you live? They have bulk almond flour for about $4/lb.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »
@Tris Prior do you have WinCo where you live? They have bulk almond flour for about $4/lb.

We do not. That's a good idea, though - bulk bins. Didn't think of that. We have a couple of chains here  with bulk bins. I'll look into that!

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
I went on a bike ride today for the first time in more than a year! Within 5 minutes my head was clear and I was feeling right with life. 😍 More tomorrow.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #541 on: March 25, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Thanks Jane x for the protein bar clarification.  I am hoping that I can eat some whey also, will experiment when my month is up.
And you do deserve a standing ovation!  We all do!  I get so frustrated with my own body, I do everything right but my genetics just mess with me always.  When I look back and see what I have survived I am so grateful I fought the fight!

Itís pretty darn hard telling if you are less mucousy when you have a cold.  I have no idea if this dairy free is working for me or not, but am hoping when the cold clears I will be super clear. 
Day six, doing good, minus the cold part of it.  Did go to the gym and did a super lazy bike ride (cleaning the machine well when I was done) and some abs.  Nice long walk with neighbour also. No pea drink today, thank goodness for leftovers.  Really not missing the dairy, even when sweet husband crunches on cheese and crackers.  Went to the health food store today but they had no interesting coffee cream subs...man that store is expensive!   Thank goodness Superstore has a ďHeath foodĒ aisle.

I've found that with whey-based protein, shakes especially, whey concentrate makes me feel horribly bloated and gassy, while whey isolate is much much easier on my system.  Whey isolate is lower in fat, lactose, and carbohydrates, but I'm assuming it is the lower lactose content that makes the difference.  According to "the internet", concentrate can have up to 55% lactose, while isolate has 1-2%.  Things with whey isolate are a little more expensive, but totally worth it to not feel terrible.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
March started out on an emotional note, so I decided to put my focus on weight loss on hold and made a goal to just not gain weight this month, and so far so good. Taking a break from the self-imposed pressure has been great, and I feel quite refreshed.

I've been adding unflavoured plant-based protein powder (soy, hemp, oat and rice) to all sorts of things, and am delighted to report that it's completely tasteless, ie it doesn't have the sour tang of whey protein. I'm lazy when it comes to protein, so it's nice to be able to just mix some powder into whatever it is that I'm eating and call it a day.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
I went on a bike ride today for the first time in more than a year! Within 5 minutes my head was clear and I was feeling right with life. 😍 More tomorrow.

@madgeylou I definitely feel that bicycles are one the best human inventions ever
Joy inducing :)

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
Been on a bit of upswing/downswing/upswing recently

-started training for a half-marathon. I haven't been able to run in 7 years due to a back injury, which finally has resolved (6 years of chronic/intermittent pain has disappeared..it feels miraculous however, I need to keep myself in check as I aggravated a tendonitis by going to the gym daily).
I am an all-or-nothing kind of gal it seems

-foodwise I have been making home-cooked meals, mostly plant-based these days and it feels great but I still struggle with occasional throw-backs to mild binge-eating (coconut-icecream anyone?) Emotionally driven (plus any type of stress), I can see my patterns and glad to be growing in awareness at least.

-daily meditation is now key for me, I wake up with such a busy mind (an active dreamer..I will have three epics dream stories swirling around when I wake which isn't restful)

The change in seasons is feeling very good
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:39:21 AM by Serendip »

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
7.5 mile walk today. I think thatís the longest Iíve walked in years. Not tired from it either, but my neck and upper back were sore.

Bendigirl

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
Yum....coconut ice cream...sadly now off limits.
I am a dreamer too!  As soon as my eyes close I am off on an adventure..so many dreams.  I sometimes have to ask my husband if something really happened or did I dream it.

Cold is subsiding, feel so much better today.  I am having no issues about cutting dairy.  In addition to cutting dairy I have increased my water intake and I truly think itís something I needed to do.
I love to research things, so I have delved into many long articles about the proteins in dairy ( pretty sure lactose, the sugar, is not a problem for me).  Itís very interesting.  When I am back to my healthy self I am hoping to use the information to pinpoint where my issues lie or if something else is the culprit.

The sun is shining bright, but itís cold outside and quite frankly I am tired of looking at snow.  I just want to play in the garden....but it will be at least another month.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

@madgeylou I definitely feel that bicycles are one the best human inventions ever
Joy inducing :)

Yes! I canít believe I ever forgot! But at least I remembered ☺️

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Today is a good Sunday:
- Morning workout and foam rolling session
- Healthy light breakfast (avocado toast, lol)
- Walked to the farmer's market and back
- Got lots of fresh fruit and produce. And mushrooms :D
- At 11k steps so far, would like to take a later afternoon walk and get over 12k steps (daily goal).

I am looking forward to this upcoming week. As much as I enjoy working out at home for *free*, I am interested in learning kickboxing/boxing at a real studio/dedicated gym. Hate the idea of the monthly costs ($130ish) but I think it would be healthy to get outside the home and it seems like it would be a good hobby for me because I want to learn a new "skill" and maybe get into learning self-defense skills, too. Going to try three boxing gyms for free this week to make a decision - so excited!!  I think some of these gyms also have other equipment, so it's not like going to those single/focused studios like spin or yoga that can be just as expensive and offer nothing else. Also interested in regular yoga classes, too, so might try an introductory/newbie promotion and see if I like that more than doing it from a DVD at home.

I bought new shoes specifically for walking/cross-training so I won't wear out my running shoes. Hate the cost, too, but it's important to me to stop walking around the city in flats/unsupportive shoes.

Looking forward to planning some hikes this spring/summer. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
I love reading everyone's healthy choices! So brightening.

My primary one today is: rest. Rest from activity, from socializing.
My secondary one is: prep. Preparing for a week of various and unusual activities, for an exam, etc.