Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 4700 times)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
Guys, look at me -- today I:

1)  Suggested to DH we go to the gym.  I don't usually on weekends, and usually he is the one to suggest it when we do and

2)  Ran 3 miles in 32:56 -- I broke the 11 minute mile mark! 

I also only had some peanuts and a small bowl of pasta for lunch (needed to use up the remains of my clam sauce, but resisted the urge to eat the big bowl I would normally scarf down).

Now I'm going to reward myself with a second cup of decaf tea.

Wherever you go, there you are

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
Guys, look at me -- today I:

1)  Suggested to DH we go to the gym.  I don't usually on weekends, and usually he is the one to suggest it when we do and

I also only had some peanuts and a small bowl of pasta for lunch (needed to use up the remains of my clam sauce, but resisted the urge to eat the big bowl I would normally scarf down).

Now I'm going to reward myself with a second cup of decaf tea.

Good work--High virtual five!
I had a day off so decided to bus into town for errands so that I could walk home (4km)
Lunch was homemade lentil & kale soup with tomato toast...
Then made homemade tortillas baked into enfrijoladas with cilantro/lime sauce for dinner.
Roasted squash (and seeds) while the oven was on and even steamed asparagus so that veggies are easily available in the fridge later in the week :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:56:01 PM by Serendip »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
My day is only just starting, but it's off to a good start with the kind of food my body runs well on (raspberries and homemade granola with rolled oats, nuts and seeds).

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
@Stachey I've found a few guided meditations on YouTube that I listen to when my brain is too noisy. My favorites are by Rasa Lukosiute; her voice is very calming to me and she doesn't do this hesitation-uplift thing that some others do which I find super irritating, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rasa+lukosiute

@pbkmaine I have a friend who has used WW for quite a few years now and really likes it. I love the simplicity - especially for people who haven't cooked for themselves before etc, it gives an easily understood template which is so important when you're starting at square one.

@lhamo You are killing the running! Wow!

@HappierAtHome I cannot wait until berries are back in season. That is a great way to start a day!

@Serendip I'd never heard of enfrijiladas and just looked them up - YUM.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:56:01 PM by katscratch »
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
Guys, look at me -- today I

Awesome! Thatís a great accomplishment.

Yesterday I finished day 6 of no sugar. I made split pea and veggies soup in the crockpot to take to work this week. Mmm. Also ate a tuna salad made with chickpeas and greek yogurt, which was surprisingly tasty and very high protein. Iím adding it to my favorite lunchtime recipes.

Little wins, right? :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
Thanks @katscratch! I'll try that.  I never even thought of youtube for meditations.  I don't know why.  Youtube has everything.

Congratulation lhamo on the run!  That's awesome!  I'm going for a one hour walk today (going downhill).  If I'm feeling ambitious I might do the one hour walk home (but that would be up a very steep hill) so the jury is still out on that one.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/writing-myself-a-happy-ending-hopefully/

If you open a Tangerine account with $100, you will get a $50 sign up bonus!  That can't be a bad thing.  Use Orange Key: 40425919S1

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
I have been on a cooking spree ..prepping roasted veggies, curry lentil soup, chili. My partner is surprised by my new energy in the kitchen (he is generally the cook in the couple)
But I feel like I am on a roll..

Also have been doing daily meditations to start the day (wake up, read for a bit, then use Insight Timer on my phone to either time or play a guided meditation, while still lying in bed) It's such a gentle way to enter the day.

I also really love Tara Brach's talks when I am washing dishes, etc (https://www.tarabrach.com)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
I've done 6 days in a row of the Yoga with Adriene 30-day yoga challenge! I am determined to make it the whole 30 days.

As far as mentally healthy choices: I really need to spend less time on social media, and online in general. It raises my anxiety and interferes with other stuff I want to accomplish. But I can't totally quit because I still need a social media presence for my business (and therefore cannot, say, delete Facebook because I need the account for my business page). Any tips on weaning oneself off of spending way too much time online (including, sorry to say, this forum)?

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
For me I would like to go chip/snack free and sweets free! Im working out more that I should seemingly to burn these useless calories.
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
As far as mentally healthy choices: I really need to spend less time on social media, and online in general. It raises my anxiety and interferes with other stuff I want to accomplish. But I can't totally quit because I still need a social media presence for my business (and therefore cannot, say, delete Facebook because I need the account for my business page). Any tips on weaning oneself off of spending way too much time online (including, sorry to say, this forum)?

For me it helps to have hard limits -- scheduled activities outside the house (including in-person social interaction) where being on line is not possible.  Having a dedicated time each day, say of no more than an hour, for all social media.  Easier said than done....

Don't use your phone to browse while on the train, waiting for appointments, etc.   Have a book or something else to keep your mind busy.
Wherever you go, there you are

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
scheduled activities outside the house (including in-person social interaction) where being on line is not possible.

I'll get right on this as soon as it stops being single-digit windchills out there! :D With no car, convincing myself to stand and wait for public transport in this weather is difficult.

Fair point on the commuting, though. I have formed the habit of reading a book on the train ride home, rather than being on my phone, but in the morning I just don't seem to have the attention span for plot (especially if it is like 2 degrees out and I feel like I'm dying of cold). So I spend the morning commute reading Facebook.

The other time when I find myself glued to my laptop is when I get home from work and the cat is loudly demanding that I sit on the couch so she can get on my lap and fall asleep. (A nightly ritual, and she's very elderly so I feel bad denying her). I can keep a book next to the couch and do that instead, though. Social media, and forums, and the Internet in general just ends up being such a time suck!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
I like how you people think, and this lines up beautifully with my self care goals
Fine cars, fine ladies, and fine wines only get better as they age.

ToTheMoon

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
I really really like this idea.  Conscious choices towards health, without the metrics. 

I let a couple of my vices (sugar, caffeine) sneak back in over the last year so I am addressing that, and I am deeming 2018 as my year of self care.

So far I have been drinking only half-caf or decaf coffee, black.  Herbal teas only.  Cutting sugar from my hot beverages is the easiest for me.  Saying no to candy or chocolate in the evenings is MUCH harder!

I have also been following along with the Yoga with Adriene "True" 30 day series - though I started a few days late so am only on day 4.  I have been pairing this with daily meditation practice using the Aware app.

No alcohol for January either.  I need to give my liver a break (after chemo, less to do with alcohol consumption on the whole, though I do very much enjoy having beverages!)  This will hopefully help with reducing my sugar intake as well, as I have found it to definitely be a trigger.

Finally, I want to make sure that I get out into the fresh air for some activity at least 5x a week.  This will not be a stretch, but in the spirit of self care I want to make sure that I schedule it, not just wait for it to happen.

That will be more than enough to focus on for now - hoping that many of these will eventually become habits and not something I will have to be so aware of!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:33 AM »
Don't use your phone to browse while on the train, waiting for appointments, etc.   Have a book or something else to keep your mind busy.

That's a good idea. I have trouble finishing books before I have to return them to the library. (I do read them on my phone ... but I think that doesn't violate the spirit of the rule.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »
I thought of this thread when I grocery shopped this morning - chicken breasts for tasty homemade chicken teriyaki, boatloads of fresh fruit and veges, and some tasty cheese and pasta to round it out ;-) there'll be some great meals in our house this week and next!!

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
Despite all my best intentions to be healthy and amazing in 2018, I started the year off with a horrible cold (and minor food poisoning on NYE, hooray for me). I'm coming in on day 7 and feeling slightly less like a phlegm-infected zombie, but I've hit the point of my sickness trajectory where I'm SO OVER IT and just want to feel normal again. I've been pounding herbal tea and emergen-c, getting lots of sleep, and trying to take it easy, but it's just got to run its course at this point. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is the last day.

Despite the sickness, I managed to do some light batch cooking on Sunday: Cookie & Kate's banana muffins for breakfasts, a spinach/cheese(/also bacon, but not very much, and it had to get used, and also bacon is delicious) quiche, and a giant pot of veggie/barley/bean soup. The quiche will get paired with some roasted veggies for dinner tonight; the veggie soup will be lunch most days and dinner one night. In the spirit of recommitting to a plant-based diet, we're having a chickpea-based main dish on Wednesday. My SO is not the greatest fan of chickpeas or plant-based anything, so we'll see how that goes! I've never fed him sauteed chickpeas before...hoping he likes them more than he does in soups.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
TotheMoon, what do you think about the True yoga challenge? I have a love-hate... well, love-frustration feeling about it so far. It's really hard for me not to beat myself up when I can't do something she's having us do. I mean, seriously, I've been doing yoga off and on for years - one would think that at some point I'd be able to hold a downward dog for any length of time without feeling like I am going to die?

I know that it's supposed to be about honoring your body, being where you are, blahblahblah. And I'm trying. She's pretty good about giving accommodations if we can't do other things; I wish she'd do that for downward dog because it really hurts!

In the spirit of recommitting to a plant-based diet, we're having a chickpea-based main dish on Wednesday. My SO is not the greatest fan of chickpeas or plant-based anything, so we'll see how that goes! I've never fed him sauteed chickpeas before...hoping he likes them more than he does in soups.

I feel your pain - Boyfriend absolutely will not eat beans of any kind, or tofu, and I'm vegetarian. We end up mostly cooking separate meals, which sucks, but I'm not going to start eating meat and he simply won't budge on the beans. It makes me feel like a terrible cook, to be honest, because he literally never likes anything I cook (unless it's, like, pizza or something else grossly unhealthy, haha.)

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »
I've had day one of the 30 days challenge open on my computer since the first, ha.

I always have to modify downward facing dog - I cannot get into proper form with my legs straight. If my legs are straight then my hips aren't far enough back and that is potentially very bad for my lower back. I definitely can't hold it very long yet. Sometimes I just do child's pose and make sure my arms and shoulders are engaged so it's more dynamic than rest.

I feel very grateful that my first yoga teacher was adamant that downward facing dog is not a resting pose and for most people that grew up in Western culture using furniture it's a very challenging pose to get right for the first couple years of practice.
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
Snort, yeah, the first time I heard that downward dog was meant to be a "resting pose" I burst out laughing.

You guys, it is 36 degrees out right now! ABOVE zero! It didn't hurt to be outside on my walk to the train! I am going to go for a walk at lunch for the first time since.... geez, early Dec. maybe?

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
Definitely modify down-dog if it's painful..knees do NOT need to be straight, keep as bent as needed and 'walking the dog', bending one knee and then the other can be a really great option. When in doubt, childs pose :)

I speak as a health-care practitioner who has seen people injure themselves by pushing themselves ( and as a doer of yoga who has done the same to myself! ha)

I just shared in another forum but relevant here as well due the chickpea reluctance comments
I have found this website helpful in the last year to get my SO to enjoy plant-based meals http://veganricha.com
She uses lots of spices and the meals we have tried are tasty!
The dishes are flavourful and varied/ and if you would have told me a year ago that my SO would be happy eating veggie/vegan 5/week I wouldn't have believed it.

I also wouldn't have believed that I would enjoy cooking but it's a new love as well which is a huge bonus.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:21:43 PM by Serendip »

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
TotheMoon, what do you think about the True yoga challenge? I have a love-hate... well, love-frustration feeling about it so far. It's really hard for me not to beat myself up when I can't do something she's having us do. I mean, seriously, I've been doing yoga off and on for years - one would think that at some point I'd be able to hold a downward dog for any length of time without feeling like I am going to die?

I know that it's supposed to be about honoring your body, being where you are, blahblahblah. And I'm trying. She's pretty good about giving accommodations if we can't do other things; I wish she'd do that for downward dog because it really hurts!

In the spirit of recommitting to a plant-based diet, we're having a chickpea-based main dish on Wednesday. My SO is not the greatest fan of chickpeas or plant-based anything, so we'll see how that goes! I've never fed him sauteed chickpeas before...hoping he likes them more than he does in soups.

I feel your pain - Boyfriend absolutely will not eat beans of any kind, or tofu, and I'm vegetarian. We end up mostly cooking separate meals, which sucks, but I'm not going to start eating meat and he simply won't budge on the beans. It makes me feel like a terrible cook, to be honest, because he literally never likes anything I cook (unless it's, like, pizza or something else grossly unhealthy, haha.)

I feel your pain also. My DH is omni, although he will eat beans and tofu. I am whole foods plant based/limited oil/salt, no refined sugar. Yeah ... it's rare he likes anything I make.

---
I am on Day 9 of no refined sugar. Even though on the file cabinet in the main office space there is a huge pile of chocolate candies and ... the thing that is actually tempting me ... big pretzel sticks covered in white chocolate! (I've been mostly no refined sugar since April, with a few backslides, and very few things tempt me at the office anymore.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:31:10 PM by Lauran75 »

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:31 PM »
Definitely modify down-dog if it's painful..knees do NOT need to be straight, keep as bent as needed and 'walking the dog', bending one knee and then the other can be a really great option. When in doubt, childs pose :)

I speak as a health-care practitioner who has seen people injure themselves by pushing themselves ( and as a doer of yoga who has done the same to myself! ha)

I just shared in another forum but relevant here as well due the chickpea reluctance comments
I have found this website helpful in the last year to get my SO to enjoy plant-based meals http://veganricha.com
She uses lots of spices and the meals we have tried are tasty!
The dishes are flavourful and varied/ and if you would have told me a year ago that my SO would be happy eating veggie/vegan 5/week I wouldn't have believed it.

My problem with downward dog is that I don't have the arm/hand/wrist strength to hold myself up; this is regardless of whether knees are bent or moving. I will try child's pose when it gets too painful.

And, the fact that any sort of vegetable now passes Boyfriend's lips is a damned miracle. When I first met him, he was an incredibly picky eater. He literally ate: pizza, pasta (with plain red sauce only), hamburgers (and hamburger helper, yuck), chicken, pork, fries, pop-tarts, potato chips, and sweets. Now he eats brown rice, salads, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, is mostly off white flour, and he'll at least try most fruits. I try not to push because he's honestly come so far and he has had so much anxiety in the past over trying food he's not familiar with.

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »

---
I am on Day 9 of no refined sugar. Even though on the file cabinet in the main office space there is a huge pile of chocolate candies and ... the thing that is actually tempting me ... big pretzel sticks covered in white chocolate! (I've been mostly no refined sugar since April, with a few backslides, and very few things tempt me at the office anymore.)

Hey Lauran75, Iím on day 8 of no refined sugar. And my kids are both eating Christmas chocolate in front of me. Sigh. I feel the pain! Good job on day 9!

My wins for today included not eating sugar (despite much temptation) and making it out for a very, very slow mile walk with a friend at work.  Iím happy to say I ate high nutritional value foods only and avoided all junk food today. Woohoo.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »
Today the whole family was grumpy and I think I'm about to start my period.  I did not drink alcohol or eat junk food to cope.  Unlike yesterday.  So yay for today!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
I am no longer putting sugar in my coffee. But still putting in whole milk. Small steps.

A few days ago I was feeling constantly hungry - food that usually satisfies, wasnít. So I ate a bit more.  I think it was partly because I felt cold, all the time, and wanted to eat to Ďwarm upí. Even though that wasnít working. Also, even with menopause (peri-?), I think there are still some hormone variations going on in the background.

Back to more normal appetite now.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »

I feel your pain also. My DH is omni, although he will eat beans and tofu. I am whole foods plant based/limited oil/salt, no refined sugar. Yeah ... it's rare he likes anything I make.

I'm lucky that at least my SO isn't a picky eater, and will eat whatever I put in front of him (with occasional, mostly-good natured whining about the lack of meat). I do think he'd kick up a fuss at tofu, but I've never gotten good at cooking it so NBD there. I'll give him full props for always being willing to try things, and he's even acquired an appreciation for certain veggie-based dishes like ratatouille and Tuscan kale/white bean soup (this one: http://www.forkknifeswoon.com/lemony-kale-white-bean-soup/). We usually do one chicken-based meal per week and he'll have meat at lunch sometimes, and that seems to keep him satisfied. Fortunately I enjoy cooking and meal planning.

Some good news for me: my cold finally seems to be on its way out. I didn't go running last night because it was 35 and raining, but my regularly-scheduled exercise routine should recommence today with a 50-minute HIIT class. Pray for me yall, I usually keep my cardio and strength training seperate so this will be...fun.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »

A few days ago I was feeling constantly hungry - food that usually satisfies, wasnít. So I ate a bit more.  I think it was partly because I felt cold, all the time, and wanted to eat to Ďwarm upí. Even though that wasnít working. Also, even with menopause (peri-?), I think there are still some hormone variations going on in the background.

I had the same problem and now that we're into the double digits again (ABOVE zero! Whoa!) I suddenly have much more normal hunger levels. Instead of eating a meal and still feeling like "OMG, I want to chew my own arm off I am so starving." I was going mad - I'd be at or above my daily calorie limit and still so stomach-growlingly hungry and shaky that I felt like crying. Now with the same amount of food (and often after eating the exact same meal I was eating before) I'm fine - ???

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »

I'm lucky that at least my SO isn't a picky eater, and will eat whatever I put in front of him (with occasional, mostly-good natured whining about the lack of meat). I do think he'd kick up a fuss at tofu, but I've never gotten good at cooking it so NBD there.

Oh! I recently found the secret to tofu! Press it for about 30 minutes (I wrap it in paper towels and put it between 2 plates with something heavy on top). Then cut it into cubes, roll it in cornstarch, and fry it in a little olive oil until it browns and is a little crispy.

Boyfriend came home yesterday with the flu and I have never in my life seen him this sick. And I'm terrified of catching it not out of fear of missing work, as I've always feared in the past, but out of fear that I'll need to stop exercising. Who even am I?! I have NEVER been an exerciser in my life! I guess this new habit is taking hold. (I feel fine, BTW, but so did Boyfriend, until he suddenly didn't. I also almost never get sick but this flu seems really bad and I don't know anyone who's avoided it once it came into the house.)

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »

---

Hey Lauran75, Iím on day 8 of no refined sugar. And my kids are both eating Christmas chocolate in front of me. Sigh. I feel the pain! Good job on day 9!

My wins for today included not eating sugar (despite much temptation) and making it out for a very, very slow mile walk with a friend at work.  Iím happy to say I ate high nutritional value foods only and avoided all junk food today. Woohoo.

Good for you getting out for a walk! I'm hoping to do the same today (sans friend) since there'll be 30 minutes or so of daylight when I get home AND the temp won't be horrible. :)

Unfortunately, my no refined sugar roll got broken last night - was feeling really yuck (aunt flo) and stressed by something at work ... and just wanted JUNK. Yeah. So it happened. I'm moving on from it today. That's all I can do.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

I'm lucky that at least my SO isn't a picky eater, and will eat whatever I put in front of him (with occasional, mostly-good natured whining about the lack of meat). I do think he'd kick up a fuss at tofu, but I've never gotten good at cooking it so NBD there. I'll give him full props for always being willing to try things, and he's even acquired an appreciation for certain veggie-based dishes like ratatouille and Tuscan kale/white bean soup (this one: http://www.forkknifeswoon.com/lemony-kale-white-bean-soup/). We usually do one chicken-based meal per week and he'll have meat at lunch sometimes, and that seems to keep him satisfied. Fortunately I enjoy cooking and meal planning.

Some good news for me: my cold finally seems to be on its way out. I didn't go running last night because it was 35 and raining, but my regularly-scheduled exercise routine should recommence today with a 50-minute HIIT class. Pray for me yall, I usually keep my cardio and strength training seperate so this will be...fun.

My DH isn't a picky eater per se ... he eats a wide range of things (gizzards ... yuck!!) but he is ... kind of a food snob where it has to have enough salt/fat/sweet, etc. or he just won't eat it. (Or he'll eat a portion of it, and not go back for seconds. That's how I know he doesn't like something I made. Or he'll spit it out ...)

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
I got home later than usual last night due to a stop at Walgreen's ....(junk food stop - used rewards balance, so at least no $ out of pocket) and realized it was still fairly light out! At 5:23pm!

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be decent temperature wise, so my plan is to get in a good 30+ minute walk. I'll have to change as soon as I get home, but that's doable. Thursday there's supposed to be a big snowstorm, possibly a blizzard ... and 0 degree weather, so walking outside at least won't happen!

I just turned 42 in December and seem to suddenly be experiencing some issues with Aunt Flo ... twice in a month is no fun. I'm going to give it a bit more time to see if it is a one off, or if it becomes a pattern, and then talk to my doctor about it. But the one thing I am slightly concerned about is iron - I've already had times where my iron level was low and I had to supplement. I may need to double my intake of blackstrap molasses (good plant based source of iron.)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
Well, I can see where this is going to be a challenge, for sure. It seems I do good for a few days and then fall off the wagon. This takes dedication. But, it is important that I get healthy and lose some pounds. So it looks like January is my trial and error month, but really, the bottom line is dedication.  I just need to pull up my big girl pants and get down to business.  phew, who knew, it was this hard. :)

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
My healthy choice this morning was eating a doughnut.  Ok, not objectively a nutritionally great choice, but when surrounded by two coworkers talking about how "doughnuts are evil" and "should I be bad and have one?" and making a sane decision that I was going to eat and enjoy a doughnut, that feels like a win to me. :-)

Also I didn't think I had anything to bring to work for lunch today but I found one more portion of a veggie/tofu curry in the freezer, so I have a good lunch waiting for me.  Thanks, Past Ramona, for cooking extra!
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
My healthy choice this morning was eating a doughnut.  Ok, not objectively a nutritionally great choice, but when surrounded by two coworkers talking about how "doughnuts are evil" and "should I be bad and have one?" and making a sane decision that I was going to eat and enjoy a doughnut, that feels like a win to me. :-)

Ugh, diet talk at work is the WORST. So much talk about good foods, bad foods, being "bad", how long you'll have to work out to burn it off, "does the coffee in the new coffee machine have calories?", etc.

My co-worker was complaining about how she has to buy size 14 now. She's tiny. I raised an eyebrow at her, and she amended: "GIRLS size 14!" Um, because that's what we're supposed to aspire to now, being thin enough to fit into children's clothing?!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »

Ugh, diet talk at work is the WORST. So much talk about good foods, bad foods, being "bad", how long you'll have to work out to burn it off, "does the coffee in the new coffee machine have calories?", etc.

My co-worker was complaining about how she has to buy size 14 now. She's tiny. I raised an eyebrow at her, and she amended: "GIRLS size 14!" Um, because that's what we're supposed to aspire to now, being thin enough to fit into children's clothing?!

Oh dear!  I hope your co-worker is also short.... 

It's like all of society has body dysmorphia.....

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »

I HATE how much body-shaming has been enshrined as a mode of female communication. Hate hate hate. I don't do it myself, and have embraced becoming the body-shaming fun police whenever someone tries to engage me with it. I just repeat some variation on "I decided that I wasn't going to talk badly about my body, or listen to other women talking badly about theirs," ad nauseum. I remember when all of this was a bit more--raw, let's say, actually getting into an argument with a friend of a friend about shutting down the conversation. It was pretty surreal to be fighting with her about...not wanting to listen to her trash-talk herself.

My favorite way to frame enjoying donuts is from my all-time fav registered dietitian bloggers, who talks a lot about the different roles certain foods fulfill for us. So maybe the donut is not the most nutritious option, but it feeds your soul, provides a delicious sensory experience, and maybe some social time with your coworkers. And it's fine if that's what you want! Because, she says, you need the donuts to balance out the kale just as much as you need the kale to balance out the donuts. (Anyone looking for a sane, loving approach to food + eating: https://www.thereallife-rd.com/)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
My healthy choice today. I stayed home. I took medicine. I ate and slept. Next, I'm trying for a bath and more sleep. Also maybe more eating.
Xox everyone's bodies
Fine cars, fine ladies, and fine wines only get better as they age.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
My healthy choice today. I stayed home. I took medicine. I ate and slept. Next, I'm trying for a bath and more sleep. Also maybe more eating.
Xox everyone's bodies

YAY - this is a good healthy choice.  Sorry you are sick. you need all of the above to feel comfortable and recover.  I hope Percy is a comfort.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »

I HATE how much body-shaming has been enshrined as a mode of female communication. Hate hate hate. I don't do it myself, and have embraced becoming the body-shaming fun police whenever someone tries to engage me with it. I just repeat some variation on "I decided that I wasn't going to talk badly about my body, or listen to other women talking badly about theirs," ad nauseum. I remember when all of this was a bit more--raw, let's say, actually getting into an argument with a friend of a friend about shutting down the conversation. It was pretty surreal to be fighting with her about...not wanting to listen to her trash-talk herself.

All of society DOES have body dysmorphia! It's possible to draw boundaries and not have to listen to this shit anymore, though. I did -- whenever anyone at work or a friend would bring up their diet or weight or self-hatred whatever, I would say something like, "My New Year's resolution is to stop participating in ancient rites of shaming, can we talk about something else? Who is watching Broad City?"

Other lines that can work: "I'm not interested in talking about that" or "Dang, it's 2018, can a woman have a body in peace?" or, my personal favorite for when a group of women are playing the I'm-so-gross/No-I'M-so-gross game: "Girls, girls, don't fight! You're both revolting!"

The trick is consistency. Maybe people start to think of me as that weirdo who doesn't want to talk about diets, but as long as they stop fucking talking about diets, I'm absolutely fine with that.

It might take several tries and several different jokes but it's worth it. Literally no one does this shit around me anymore, to the point that when I find myself in a new situation and people DO start talking this way, it's a real shock.

I want this for all of you, too. Boundaries! 

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
I WAS RIGHT!

I love the "you are both revolting!" retort - it shows how ridiculous this is.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
Other lines that can work: "I'm not interested in talking about that" or "Dang, it's 2018, can a woman have a body in peace?" or, my personal favorite for when a group of women are playing the I'm-so-gross/No-I'M-so-gross game: "Girls, girls, don't fight! You're both revolting!"

"You're both revolting!" literally made me snort with laughter.  I may have to start using that.
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

"You're both revolting!" literally made me snort with laughter.  I may have to start using that.

:)

When my BFF (who is skinny) starts complaining about how fat she is around me (an actual fat person) I also threaten to eat her :D

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »

5'4", maybe? She always wears high heels, so not sure.

or, my personal favorite for when a group of women are playing the I'm-so-gross/No-I'M-so-gross game: "Girls, girls, don't fight! You're both revolting!"

This? Is AWESOME. I am going to use this for sure!

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
Yes @madgeylou I am 100% stealing "You're both revolting." A++

The SOs of my SO's high school friends can be body-shaming inclined so I'm glad to have a new retort for the next time we're all together. Fortunately I've trained the people close to me out of talking like that around me, so it's like a weird trip to Planet Mean Girls whenever I hear it.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
So many good thoughts on this page!

I'm so so so glad that when my son was born his dad and I had a discussion about how to talk about drugs - because it turned into a philosophy that substances that go in our body are neither good nor bad. They just are made up of compounds that affect us in different ways. Removing value statements from our thoughts around all of that made it super easy to talk about all those things throughout our kiddo's life instead of having to figure out "age appropriate" information - how foods affect us, how caffeine affects us, what is a 'drug' and yeah man sugar totes acts like a drug, etc.

That shift in thinking 19 years ago totally saved me from years of blame-y language around food and other things. I mean, I've certainly had periods of intense self-berating based on interpersonal relationship choices, so there's always something to work on :) but I'm so glad to have shifted my focus away from cultural norms and onto how I feel when it's just me dancing in the living room by myself on a sunny morning. For me that's a good barometer of my perception of my body. And my stick-bug-dancing-or-quite-possibly-having-a-seizure is pretty badass I've got to admit ;)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
You guys, I usually do pretty well with not stress-eating (if anything, I have trouble eating when stressed). But today I am struggling. Mainly because I have to go home and take care of Flu Boyfriend, and he's probably been handling every surface of the kitchen so I'll have to disinfect the entire thing today before I dare cook food for myself in it.

Ugh. Just want to faceplant into a pizza. I know what needs to happen is: disinfect entire kitchen, make sure Boyfriend has what he needs, cook dinner. But I'm STARVING and exhausted from getting poor sleep on the couch. Bleah.

ToTheMoon

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »
Uh-oh - is this thread going to always move this fast?  I need to keep on my game!

I did an 11.5km cross-country ski yesterday with lots and ups and downs, and had a high speed crash at the bottom of a big hill!  Very sore today, but glad I went and did it.  That said, I wanted to eat everything in the house last night.  And I only wanted junk.

I have been a Healthy Choices failure when it comes to sugar.  I am still avoiding it in my hot beverages, but I seem to find chocolate or ice cream almost every evening.  Almost frenetically searching for it.  I have not turned to alcohol - still vying for a booze free January.  Single parenting my kids for the next two weeks may be my demise!

@Tris Prior I too find downward dog extremely frustrating.  I shake, my wrists sometimes hurt, and I find it to be anything but a relaxing pose.  That said, every once in a while I have a day where it just...works.  At least I understand what I am supposed to be working towards - though I have no idea why some days it comes and most of the time it doesn't.  I now try to focus my breath on the areas that are the most uncomfortable and rarely fully straighten my legs, and when that doesn't help I switch to child's pose and just roll with it.  That said, she has done a variation of downward dog on her forearms which I cannot remember the name of.  Perhaps I will try switching to that more often?

SquashingDebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
You guys, I usually do pretty well with not stress-eating (if anything, I have trouble eating when stressed). But today I am struggling. Mainly because I have to go home and take care of Flu Boyfriend, and he's probably been handling every surface of the kitchen so I'll have to disinfect the entire thing today before I dare cook food for myself in it.

Ugh. Just want to faceplant into a pizza. I know what needs to happen is: disinfect entire kitchen, make sure Boyfriend has what he needs, cook dinner. But I'm STARVING and exhausted from getting poor sleep on the couch. Bleah.

This is the kind of situation I'm trying to develop better habits around - in my case, I've resolved to compromise.  So, maybe I don't get my healthy dinner cooked, but I can spend a little money buying a healthy dinner.  Logical, when my current go-to tired/stressed/hangry option is not very healthy (pepperoni breadsticks from the deli down the street - awesome occasionally, but not a great regular fallback option).

Good luck and I hope you don't catch the flu!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »

I suspect you want to eat because you are tired (and need energy), not because you are stressed (but that doesnít help any resilience).

Can you get a HazMat suit on the way home?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
I suspect you want to eat because you are tired (and need energy), not because you are stressed (but that doesnít help any resilience).

Yeah, that's likely. I did cave and get a frozen pizza at Whole Foods, but only an individual one to limit the damage, and I'll have some salad with it.

Can you get a HazMat suit on the way home?

I was thinking one of those plastic bubbles to live in? And another gallon of hand sanitizer. And maybe installing a bleach shower. (Does anyone else read Mira Grant? I'm starting to feel like I'm living in the Feed universe, hahaha.)

(Anyone looking for a sane, loving approach to food + eating: https://www.thereallife-rd.com/)

Oh my god. I just skimmed some of the posts on this website and it's exactly what I need right now. Thank you.