Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 33281 times)

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #450 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »
...being perpetually just a little bit (or a lot) tired is driving a lot of my other health issues.

So wise! Even just the impact of poor sleep on cortisol levels alone can result in stubborn weight challenges.
what a waste of a window i say

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
It was raining this morning, so I gave in to DD's request to drive her to school (I don't drive her as much as I drive DS, and she has started to notice the discrepancy....). Went to the gym right after and had a pretty good interval workout.  I am discovering that an earlier workout seems to work much better for me -- feel much more motivated and energetic if I start before 10am, somehow.  And also have more energy for the rest of the day.

It probably also helped that I slept better last night.  Sleep is a powerful medicine....
Wherever you go, there you are

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
chaskavich, that sounds like a good plan. It's so hard, though! I don't have kids but I find myself having to cram chores, cooking, eating, exercising, work on side business, etc. in during the evenings, and before I know it, it's after 10 and my partner and I have spent zero time together. This is why I want to retire - I don't particularly dislike my job, but I cannot stand how much time I lose to sitting on my ass in a cubicle. I can completely understand choosing me-time over sleep.

Lack of sleep definitely affects health in other ways! In addition to exhausted, it makes me weepy, gives me brain fog, makes me feel tense and tight all over, and, worst of all, leaves me constantly STARVING. The time change always gives me insomnia - last night did not fall asleep until 2:30 or so? - and generally fucks with my body clock, badly, and since Sunday I have been constantly hangry. I know it's my body trying to get energy however it can, but geez, this is really wearing thin.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »

I'm going to do my best to be in bed, lights out, no phone, by 10 pm on the nights before I go to work, and 10:30 on the other 3 nights of the week (when I wake up at 6:30 or 7 the next day)
I'm not going to focus on sleep to the exclusion of caring about food or exercise, but it's definitely going to be my primary focus for the foreseeable future. 

Last night I went to bed at 930.  I feel much better today than I did yesterday, but there's still a lot of yawning going on.  Obviously it'll take more than one day, but it's a start!

This is such a great thing to focus on @chaskavitch ..my partner gets up at 6am daily so he has set a reminder on his clock to tell us to 'get ready for bed' around 9:30, so that we wind things down by 10. It makes a world of difference when I get a good nights sleep..plus, it's pretty funny when guests are over and he says "sorry guys, my alarm went off..it's bedime!"

Healthy choices: bought a gym pass..eegads I am not a gym person but every year I do it in the spring for at least a month. It's like a personal challenge to get out of my comfort zone and move more intentionally. I just ran/walked for 30 min and even though the distance I covered is minimal, my brain feels lit up...like the increased blood-flow actually made it into there!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #454 on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
I was thinking about derogatory words some people use re: choosing our food ("militant", "extreme", "rigid", etc). I think what they don't know is that for people like me, it feels like the opposite of those descriptors.

When I eat optimally for my body, what I experience is freedom, joy, fun, delight, happiness. Some of the happiness comes straight from the resulting biochemistry. Some of it comes from deliciousness, some from the fun of tasting a new-to-me recipe that really worked out, some from having it so easy to select my foods, some from seeing symptoms disappear, some from seeing signs of increased health appear.

Each day I choose from a couple of hundred delightful ingredients, and get creative about how to mix and match them for various outcomes.

My list of ingredients is "focused", but rigid etc? Not a match.

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Lately I've been dealing with the whole issue of food intolerances and allergies.  I suspect that it's a combo of age, overly sensitive arousal system, and damage from extensive antibiotic use over the years.  This is what I can't eat so far: dairy (and any dairy protein as it's an allergy), nuts, papaya, mango skin (severe allergy so even a bite of mango is scary to eat), jicama, alcohol (rosacea).  Then there's the carbs and sugar that I need to avoid in order to stabilize my energy, blood sugar, insulin, etc.  There's probably more stuff that I don't remember right now.  The acceptance process is lengthy and kinda painful and sad. 

After going through all of the work, mental and emotional, to work this stuff out, I don't give a flying f*ck what other people think about my food choices.  They can call it anything they like.   

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: March 15, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
After going through all of the work, mental and emotional, to work this stuff out, I don't give a flying f*ck what other people think about my food choices.  They can call it anything they like.   

:)))))))))))))))

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »

:)))))))))))))))
+1^
Seeing the possibilities

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »
Lately I've been dealing with the whole issue of food intolerances and allergies.  I suspect that it's a combo of age, overly sensitive arousal system, and damage from extensive antibiotic use over the years.  This is what I can't eat so far: dairy (and any dairy protein as it's an allergy), nuts, papaya, mango skin (severe allergy so even a bite of mango is scary to eat), jicama, alcohol (rosacea).  Then there's the carbs and sugar that I need to avoid in order to stabilize my energy, blood sugar, insulin, etc.  There's probably more stuff that I don't remember right now.  The acceptance process is lengthy and kinda painful and sad. 

heart heart heart! So glad that you have found so many things that you know are issues, and hopefully issues are resolving

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
So far, my intermittent fasting is going well. I had a couple of days where it was tough and I gave in a bit but I think I am right on track now. Although, I might have to alter things a bit. I feel hungry in the morning and I fight it but my energy wanes some and that is not good at work.  We will see. I will stick to it for now and see how it goes. Changing things up as I go along is important to find the "right" for me.

I have greatly reduced my sugar intake. I gave away a lot of junk food too. I still have some around, but I find I don't reach for it as much.  Having a window in which to eat helps out a great deal. There were a couple of times at night, I so wanted a snack and just held out.   

I have also started to exercise.  Just mildly for now until I ease myself up. I would like to do a half n hour for at least 4 days if not more.

I am also trying to go to bed at a certain time now.  I think the first out of everything is trying to correct my sleep. It is so much easier to make decisions when I am well rested, which is like never. Sleep has been elusive.

I am starting to love being more healthy.  I think next week will be better since this week was an experiment of sorts.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
alleykat, your experiments and ideas sound fabulous! I really love the gentle approach to the changes.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
Aaaaand -- 2.88 miles run in 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  I think I may be able to hit my 3 in 30 goal by next week.  BOOYAH!  And I was done with my workout by 10am, and get to spend lots of time in the garden today.  It is lovely -- sunny but cool.  I am feeling SOOOOO much better with the recent sun.  Note to self:  get light box and start taking Vit D before next winter so you don't feel like crap for four very long, dark, drippy months of the year...
Wherever you go, there you are

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
Aaaaand -- 2.88 miles run in 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  I think I may be able to hit my 3 in 30 goal by next week.  BOOYAH!  And I was done with my workout by 10am, and get to spend lots of time in the garden today.  It is lovely -- sunny but cool.  I am feeling SOOOOO much better with the recent sun.  Note to self:  get light box and start taking Vit D before next winter so you don't feel like crap for four very long, dark, drippy months of the year...

Nice!!! So impressive, lhamo!

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: March 16, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
So far, my intermittent fasting is going well. I had a couple of days where it was tough and I gave in a bit but I think I am right on track now. Although, I might have to alter things a bit. I feel hungry in the morning and I fight it but my energy wanes some and that is not good at work.  We will see. I will stick to it for now and see how it goes. Changing things up as I go along is important to find the "right" for me.

I am starting to love being more healthy.  I think next week will be better since this week was an experiment of sorts.

Good work @alleykat !
 I have been experimenting with having breakfast & lunch as my meals and tapering from there--if you find mornings difficult perhaps you could try something like this? I am also feeling quite good on this program-- will keep it up and see how it plays out with the longer days. It really won't work on social evenings, like dinner out but even so we might be able to keep things earlier with this in mind :)

@lhamo , congrats on your running success so far!
 I just started this week and did first 2.1 & then 2.6 in 30min..will see if I can go for a longer run tomorrow :) Sun definitely helps!

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #464 on: March 16, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »
Boy howdy, this sure seems like the thread for me. I'm fresh off failing my physical fitness test, and recipient of a letter officially notifying me I'm fat.

Ouch.

Day 0: You pick yourself up. You shake yourself off. And you start all over again.

Day 1: Day one, in the bag. I categorically didn't eat like an asshole. Rock on with my tubby self!

Day 2: second day of mostly eating like someone who gives a damn.

I ain't kicking no tires. I ain't even lighting any fires. But I've had a robust amount of vegetables 2 days in a row. At the very least it's an ember.

Day 3: Today is hard to categorize. There were multiple donuts. But there were also moments of rejecting further donuts, and delaying lunch because the scheduled lunch time didn't suit me. There were also 4 hours of exercise, and ~5 incidents of actual physical terror mixed with the exercise. The kind where adrenaline pushes your heart so hard that your chest hurts from hypoxia. Dinner was also pretty rich, but I self-regulated from natural choice, and not from guilt.

So I think today was a mental and physical win.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #465 on: March 17, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
Boy howdy, this sure seems like the thread for me. I'm fresh off failing my physical fitness test, and recipient of a letter officially notifying me I'm fat.

Ouch.

Welcome @Sailor Sam :)
Sorry about the letter but sounds like you've got a great attitude (and humour) to deal with the challenges (like rejecting further donuts--that is the definition of will-power!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #466 on: March 17, 2018, 09:06:37 PM »
I've been sorting through some layers, and have lots of things well in hand currently. What I'd like to work on next is choosing people. Healthy people. The end. That's my new focus.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #467 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
Hey, thanks @Serendip!

Day 4: all that physical activity drowning practice from yesterday has made my back sore. Stiff, you might say. Like, twisting from the hips is almost impossible. Not just painful (though it is, truly, painful); impossible. Now, imagine when twisting is critical to, how shall we say...wiping your own ass.

Not a great day nutritionally. Not a great day moderation-wise. But I walked enough to get my lower spine muscles to unlock, and I did a quick hotel room strength circuit.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #468 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »
Gonna jump in. Feeling pretty good about my progress so far this year. So far:

-Have been low-carb without tracking macros since January 2017. Had a lot of issues with failing/cheating last year but successfully got myself grain, sugar, and starchy veg free towards the end of the year. Experimenting now with getting more veggies and low glycemic fruit in via almost daily smoothies. Have lost quite a bit of weight, and Iím only 2 pounds higher than my lowest ever adult weight, but I think Iím even slimmer than I was during that period based on belts and clothes.

-Have had chronic spine issues on and off for many years, but through my sisters recommendation Iíve found a chiropractor that is helping quite a bit. My spine is unfucked enough that now sheís working with me on adding some strengthening PT exercises while she continues adjusting multiple times a week. Also have orthotics now, which felt really weird at first but seem to be helping. Not cheap as weíre filling up our high deductible but as long as insurance continues to cover it (our policy has no cap on manipulative care as long as itís showing significant measurable improvement) it will get significantly cheaper once the deductible is filled. Regardless itís been worth it to me so far unless my progress stops.

-Working on getting regular cardio this year. Mostly riding an indoor cycle trainer but trying to ride outdoors whenevef we have milder weather, which will get more and more common as spring comes. Doing pretty well so far, Iíve felt the difference in my improved cardio already when working around the homestead or when hiking with the kids.
ďThese furry chickens ainít laying no eggs!Ē

thegoblinchief became HarbingerofBunnies for a while and is now furrychickens.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #469 on: March 18, 2018, 06:26:45 AM »
So far my "go to bed on time" plan has been semi-successful.  I definitely stayed up too late on Friday, but otherwise I've been within 30 minutes of my goal.  I'm still super tired today - probably a combination of not enough sleep Friday night and then eating a bunch of simple carbs yesterday and not drinking enough water.  After I finish my morning coffee I'm going to end up chugging a whole nalgene of water, probably.  It's going to be excellent.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #470 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
I've been sorting through some layers, and have lots of things well in hand currently. What I'd like to work on next is choosing people. Healthy people. The end. That's my new focus.

A fine focus @jooniFLORisploo , best wishes to you in this.
This truly was also a game-changer for me (and bonus points if the healthy people are also low-drama and kind)  At first, I had a hard time adjusting to the actual calm feeling of certain new relationships. ha.

& welcome @HarbingerofBunnies --glad to hear your spine is getting some help. I am in month 3 of pain-free activity after 7-8 years of on & off back issues. 'Unfucked' indeed.

Healthy choice--I bought myself a gym pass and stopped telling myself that I am not 'a gym person'. Turns out that it is really, really good for my brain to break a mild sweat every day.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 18, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
It is unlikely that I will leave my home today. I am currently headed for a nap. I did clean and trim my hair, so it is noticeably less witchy....but I am not sure if that was necessary or not

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #472 on: March 18, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
...bonus points if the healthy people are also low-drama and kind)

Those are what I'm using as baselines! Things like: low drama, kind, honest, reliable, self-aware, respectful of me, etc. I have lots of people in my life like that, just want to smoosh them all the way in to our life and the remaining unhealthy one out.

At first, I had a hard time adjusting to the actual calm feeling of certain new relationships. ha.

I remember going through that stage too, yeah :)

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #473 on: March 18, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
This will be the perfect spot for me to track my month ( and likely more) of dairy free living.
First, letís put it out there...this makes me sad.  I love dairy, cream in my coffee, yogurt for lunch, whey in my smoothies, cheesecake with whipped cream...love it all.   But I donít feel well.  I have constant post nasal drip, a clogged up throat, gas and bloating...and my breathing!  I use my inhaler every day, twice a day...this is NOT my normal.  I dare not take a walk without a little medication.
This scares me, I consider myself a very healthy 61year old.  I walk at least 5km every single day (often much more), go to the gym six tomes a week (two of those days are yoga...love yoga) and eat very well.  I was diagnosed with an adult onset wheat and gluten allergy about eight years ago.  I have autoimmune issues (hashimotos, allergies) but they are well managed.
I know my body fights with food.  An episode of severe pancreatitis ten years back caused significant damage to some internal organs and, as my gut doc said, there is no surprise I have food issues.

So why now?  Why do I think dairy is evil?  First, my intake has increased....the cheese bill is high!  Yogurt every day for lunch.  Dessert every night (need to keep weight on....generally low sugar) that includes the dreaded and delicious cheesecake with whipped cream.

I googled....yes I did.  This mucous build up may be dairy related.  I am always clearing my throat and the belly is always bloated, especially after lunch....hmmm.  Google fingers are pointing to dairy.  So, goodbye cheese, so long whipped cream...I love you but itís for the best.
I may see you in a month, I will use this forum to track my super fun adventure.
I cried when bread and I broke up.  Tomorrow my coffee will likely disappoint with its coconut creamer...and I may cry.

Wish me luck....and if you have any tips I am all ears (or eyes I guess)

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #474 on: March 18, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
Congrats on your commitment, Bendigirl!

I've just surpassed a month on a purposeful eating plan. The two things I felt most needed to go, and that would be the most challenging to let go of, were cream and honey. I picked the date to start, made sure to stay satiated on other stuff (animal protein, fat, etc) and it's been GREAT. No trouble.

I hope you have the same experience :)

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: March 18, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
@Bendigirl - There is a pea-based milk and cream that is supposed to actually be creamy. That may be worth looking into.

I love dairy and bread too. Iíd be really sad to lose them.

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #476 on: March 18, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
I was thinking about derogatory words some people use re: choosing our food ("militant", "extreme", "rigid", etc). I think what they don't know is that for people like me, it feels like the opposite of those descriptors.

When I eat optimally for my body, what I experience is freedom, joy, fun, delight, happiness. Some of the happiness comes straight from the resulting biochemistry. Some of it comes from deliciousness, some from the fun of tasting a new-to-me recipe that really worked out, some from having it so easy to select my foods, some from seeing symptoms disappear, some from seeing signs of increased health appear.

Each day I choose from a couple of hundred delightful ingredients, and get creative about how to mix and match them for various outcomes.

My list of ingredients is "focused", but rigid etc? Not a match.

It's really nice to read this from someone else because I feel the same way, especially about the negative descriptors.  Even if it's not necessarily meant to be negative, people looking at my work lunch and commenting, "Oh, that/you are *so* healthy!" sounds a little diminishing because of people's negative connotations with healthy food not being "fun" or delicious.

This reminds me of one time I was joking that a went to a farmer's market/craft fair and someone was selling bread, and I thought it was overpriced especially since when I went home, I weighed it on my digital food scale and it was under the weight quoted. What grabbed his attention was that I weighed the food and all, and not that I got undercut on something I was buying!  A lot of people can definitely take a negative spin on it, thinking it's obsessive to weigh food, but I like to think of it as just knowing something and having data, especially until you get a good picture of just how much you're "supposed" to eat and how much nutrition you're getting from  a certain portion.

Ditto on deriving enjoyment from experimenting with food! I eat to nourish my body and because I want to eat food that tastes good, too. I've been especially more aware of this lately because I started working out again (finally healed from a running injury) and for some reason, after I work out, I always feel more inclined to eat healthier.  I think I eat pretty healthy, but there is always room for improvement.

I've been interested in getting back into a regular workout routine because I don't want to have "office worker body," meaning bad posture and all the stuff that is commonly cited to come along with a sedentary 9-to-5 lifestyle - back pain, shoulder pain, and neck plain.  I have had an experience a back pull last year, and my first instinct was to correct the muscular imbalance.

But just 3-4 months of relative inactivity led to a lower back ache already, so I've been focused on the back and core muscles and overall spine health. Recently, many of my coworkers have complained of back pain and needing surgery... I don't want to end up like that or with a reduced quality of life.  I scheduled core-focused and overall body workouts (at home workouts with Fitness Blender) for the next 4 weeks. So excited! I am interested in doing a group activity class here and there, but may make more sense to get into that after the 4 weeks before adding in more athletic activity. Don't want to injure myself!

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #477 on: March 18, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
Thanks Jooni and g-dog
Now, on the advice of my trusted neighbour and long time vegetarian, I purchased a pea protein based protein powder from Costco.  This neighbour doesnít eat any sugar, honest, no treats....and she swears this stuff is amazing....
Sucker
I got to gag down my lunch, a fruit smoothie with peas...ugg.  It was so sweet!  And nasty.  I got it down and I will use it all because I am stubborn.  So I confronted said neighbour and she said she hated it at first but now she is used to it.  She could have warned me.
In Canada we donít get all the interesting food that I see mentioned on American blogs...but if I see pea milk I just donít know. 
I am ten hours into this...pretty brave. 
Did I mention there is remaining cheesecake in the fridge?  And whipping cream?   Thankfully hubby said he would bite the bullet on this one and eat it up.  He is a dear.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: March 18, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
The pea milk brand name is Ripple.

Nice of Hubs to make the sacrifice for you ;)

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #479 on: March 18, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Day 5: not a stellar day. Time to stop celebrating the initial baby steps, and start building a few more baby steps.

I'm going to need to differentiate between hunger because my body is used to a steady stream of too many calories, and hunger because my TDEE isn't being met.

I fear this hunger. Which is odd, because I also kind of enjoy hunger. Must figure out.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #480 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
Adjusting to a lower appetite level in the mornings. Dropping bacon from my breakfast most days and just having eggs. Not wanting bacon all the time is good, means I can enjoy the one belly that we get when buying a whole pig, but if I really want a breakfast meat Iíll make a batch of sausage which I can easily make from rabbit. I find sausage more filling than bacon as well, and easier for me to moderate with.

On more of a psychological health note, thereís a strong current of folks on the forum that like to separate alcohol, coffee, tea, etc from their grocery budget. Iíve considered doing this but Iíve decided Iím definitely not. I donít think it would change my purchasing or consumption patterns, it would just make me feel bad about how much money we spend on beverages.

Wishing I knew a way beyond modeling my own efforts at healthy eating and exercise to encourage my wife to get back into exercising and eating better. Work stress just really runs her down.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
My kid recently added bacon to his list of foods he can't stomach. (That makes it oatmeal and bacon.) Man, he and I diverge on this point, lol!

For my first time, I made baked egg things (eggs, meat bits, any veggies, salt, pepper) and he chose sausage (also new to us) for the meat part.

I donít think it would change my purchasing or consumption patterns, it would just make me feel bad about how much money we spend on beverages.

I love this awareness.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:55 AM »
@Bendigirl - I have had to drop dairy too for similar reasons several years ago. I actually didn't believe it would work but my nasal allergies and wheezing cleared up. It's very difficult to avoid, especially eating away from home. Everything seems to have cheese. I found that I can tolerate goat and sheep cheese but not cow. Expensive but it allows some cheese.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: March 19, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »
I'm going to need to differentiate between hunger because my body is used to a steady stream of too many calories, and hunger because my TDEE isn't being met.

That's an excellent point. My biggest frustration is that, since I decided to start making healthier choices, I am literally always hungry. I think I do OK at realizing I want to eat for reasons other than hunger, but still am not sure whether I can trust the growling stomach/shakiness/spaciness.

Wishing I knew a way beyond modeling my own efforts at healthy eating and exercise to encourage my wife to get back into exercising and eating better. Work stress just really runs her down.

Boyfriend is the same way. His job sucks and he copes by eating and making art (while I support the latter wholeheartedly as it's good for his mental health, it doesn't have physical benefits!) The only thing I've found to work is to not keep junk food, or foods that he cannot control himself around, in the house. If it's not there, he can't eat it - and I should note, this is at his request that I do this, not me locking up the forbidden fruit as punishment or something.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #484 on: March 19, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
Thanks Mongoose and G-dog (again)....appreciate the comments!
Having lived through and excelled the gluten elimination most of the food I eat does not come from a package....basically meat and veggies/fruit.  I guess I am now paleo, whereas before I was paleo with benefits (dairy).  I rarely eat out...I am the boring salad lady.  Besides the wheat and gluten I have eliminated grains for the most part.

Now into hour 30....and honestly, itís not hell.  Even the coconut coffee creamer was ok but more milky than creamy.  Just finished another gag-worthy lunch of vanilla flavoured peas mixed with strawberries and almond milk.  Still seems super sweet, but after a few mouthfuls itís ok.  I had about a tablespoon left and, rather than enjoy it all for myself, I thought I could make a YouTube star out of my lab by giving it to her...hoping to see a fabulous frown face from her, but alas she is no star.  Lapped that nastiness up like it was her last meal.  Traitor.

I need to write down how I feel so I can look back to see if this is helping.  I know, one day likely wonít make a difference...but honestly the throat feels less mucousy, breathing is slightly better but still need inhaler to get to the gym, and I am not bloated.  All in my head?  Wishful thinking?  Maybe.

Told my woes to my gym buddy today.  She looked horrified when I said that dairy was out.  She is so happy to not have allergies and sensitivities.  Having lived with lifelong allergies (peanuts from youth, along with animals...even beloved, but not a star, lab) I have never know a life without them.  What fun it would be to just eat something without asking questions....cuz sometimes I hate being ďthatĒperson.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #485 on: March 19, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
@Bendigirl, my sympathies. I'm dairy free by bodily instance, and not personal choice. It's a bummer.

That's an excellent point. My biggest frustration is that, since I decided to start making healthier choices, I am literally always hungry. I think I do OK at realizing I want to eat for reasons other than hunger, but still am not sure whether I can trust the growling stomach/shakiness/spaciness.

Yeah, being hungry just really sucks. But it seems like shaky/spacey is true hunger? Or, at the very minimum true lack of glucose in the bloodstream. I've found tapering calories down pretty slowly works better for me. It's irritating, because tapering is slower than the crash stop n' instant results we all prefer. But it's maybe more sustainable in the long run?

Day 6: overall still not eating in a manner that will support weight loss, but I made incrementally better choices in both nutrition and exercise today. So, a win.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: March 19, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
@Bendigirl is it the leanfit complete green? If so, I find that paradoxically, adding things to it makes it worse. On its own it is a vile sludge that I can get down. Mixed with anything but green tea and I'm dying. Someone else suggested a squeeze of lemon, but that seems wrong.

I strongly suspect that after this dairy free month, I have to choose between dairy and ease of breathing. I will confirm with a 2 day dairy spree in the near future.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
Thanks Sailor Sam (I hear ďBand on the RunĒ every time I read your name)
ElleFiji...the one I bought is Vega Protein and Greens, which proudly boasts itís made from REAL plant protein...way better than the fake stuff...
I suppose if you add nothing to it you could get it down faster, less volume.  I am in awe though, if Costco sells it people must buy it....like on purpose.  Repeatedly.  Some pea farmer out there is laughing all the way to the bank.
Breathing matters...if I feel better itís easy to choose breathing over cheese.  Pretty sure. 

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
As I headed into day three there was trouble afoot....first, my breathing got worse yesterday so I opted for the stronger inhaler...one I rarely use.  Things settled today somewhat.  Secondly, my allergies were crazy this morning.  Hate starting the day with a sneeze-a-thon.  Swallowed some antihistamine and went on with my day, a nice walk and a yoga class, and another walk.  During my yoga class I caught my mind wandering.  I did a lot of research yesterday and remember reading, more than once, that people who remove items from their diet often get worse before they get better...kind of like withdrawl symptoms.  Iíll take it.
My throat s still not perfect but so much better than it was a few days ago.  Right now my sinuses are perfect, but that may be the antihistamines.
I promised myself I would not make ďthe faceĒ when I had my pea shake for lunch.  I wanted to but did not.  I am sure that my husband appreciated my braveness.  I ate it, thought about the strawberry flavour...and got the whole thing down.  Followed by two spoonfuls of almond butter.  My little reward.

More research yesterday and now I think, just think, I might know my sensitivity.  Not lactose (always wondered why I still bloated with lactose free yogurt) but casein!  Interesting to read about the two forms of casein...a1 and A2.  Seems people tolerate the A2 way better than the very common A1.  Then I saw a commercial last night about A2 milk, a new product.  Some more googling today. 

For now I am hoping for good results.  I can handle no dairy.  Just like with removing wheat I know itís better to focus on what you can have and donít lament the things you canít have.  Substitutes rarely work and always disappoint. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:12:23 PM by Bendigirl »

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
Day 7: fire fighting day. The goddamn miraculous and life saving bunker gear is goddamn fucking heavy. I sucked down many lunch time pizza calories, and I do not regret it.

Thanks Sailor Sam (I hear ďBand on the RunĒ every time I read your name)
If only I could also be the jailer man. Wouldn't the world be different then. Oh yes, different indeed.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
We do gluten free as well Bendigirl as one kid has celiac. My dairy issues are definitely with casein. Goat and sheep are A2 so that is why I tolerate them. A2 cow milk hasn't made it to our area. Oh, and non-dairy creamer...which I personally loathe as a vile chemical mixture...isn't actually non-dairy in case that matters to anyone. It is made with casein (aka milk protein). Once I cut it, my lifelong allergies mostly disappeared. I recently found a coffee creamer that seems creamier, Better Half from Califa Farms. Of course, it could seem great because it can be found unsweetened and I haven't had real cream in years.

DH is sick. I'm starting to feel unwell and sucking on zinc. It is awful and makes me nauseous. If any kid gets sick, I will just quit and get sick. We don't need any more respiratory junk this year!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
ARGH. I packed my lunch last night but forgot to also throw a jar of overnight oats in there for breakfast. Arrived to work STARVING and shaky, at which point I noticed my missing oatmeal. Could not stomach my packed lunch as a breakfast food (spicy chili). No snacks in my desk, as I ate them all yesterday. Can't run out to grab an EIGHT DOLLAR organic smoothie from the place a few blocks away (which, very rarely, has been my backup if I forget breakfast) because I have therapy over my lunch hour today which requires a longer break than I'm officially allowed, so my butt needs to be in a chair for the rest of the workday.

I succumbed to the pop-tarts in the vending machine. Really beating myself up over this. Really angry with myself. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to function at my job with no food, and I was so hungry.

I have considered keeping more emergency food in my desk, but when I have emergency food, I typically end up eating it when I eat my lunch and am still hungry (which happens most days), so that it's not there when I accidentally forget breakfast or something.

In exercise news, I have no idea what I did to my lower back, but it's been extremely painful since Monday. I worked out Sunday night but I don't feel like I did anything that would strain my back. I did, however, do a lot of yard work and dirt-shoveling on Sunday. Maybe it was the combination of both? This sucks. My lower back pretty much hurts all the time but this is a sharp "ouch" rather than the usual dull soreness and stiffness. I told my trainer about it and he said I should skip tonight's workout if it still hurts. Sigh.

Is it EVER going to get warm enough to go for walks outside again?? I keep telling myself: we're not getting nor'easters. This could be so much worse. My work has NYC and Boston offices and they're constantly getting hammered with 12-inch-plus storms - I think they've had 4 such storms this month already. Still, I am ready for my face to not hurt when I step outside.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
I walked to a meeting last night and it was so cold my eyes were watering with the wind shear between my face and my glasses.  It was not nice even though the sun was still up.  I could not face walking home so I got a lift with my dear hubs.
Seeing the possibilities

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Joining you all! I just visited my grandparents who have to make significant diet changes due to health issues and I don't want to have a rude awakening when I'm older and it's harder to make those changes. My BF has also expressed a desire to be healthier. My main problem is that I eat WAY too many carbs (I love carbs). I would like to eat more vegetables and whole grains in place of white flour. I'm also currently a little put off from meat so I'll be playing that by ear.

For lunch today I sauteed up two zucchini, and they were delicious. So I've already got a good amount of vegetables in me! I have ingredients for a bibb lettuce, cilantro, and avocado salad tonight.

BF and I have opposite work schedules and he will be in bed when I get home from work tonight. I've asked him to go through a vegetable-heavy cookbook I have and to post it whatever he would eat. Then I will pick a few things so we can grocery plan for the week.

Confession: I do NO exercise. I walk the 1.5 miles to work and am on my feet all day, but don't do any regimented exercise that gets my heart rate up. I would like to start increasing my movement. I know me and the best things to do are things I can do in my house (having to go out is a huge motivation barrier for me). While I was contemplating this, I did 25 jumping jacks :).

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »
Mongoose....oh, if my allergies go away I will be so thrilled!  I know the animal, gluten and peanut allergies will always be...but the seasonal ones...oh, my.  Fingers crossed.
Coffee cream is something thatís tough.  I love cream in coffee and the coconut stuff isnít cutting it (I guess I should read the ingredients...boo).  I do have some sweet and condensed coconut milk so I can have my beloved Vietnamese iced coffee in the summer.
Day four:  lungs less congested but feels like I have a chest cold (the lungs feel coated) and I have been having those lung clearing coughs....interesting.  I am drinking scads of water as the coughing and heaviness tells me I need water.
I did use my ventolin inhaler today before the gym and still feel good...even after sweeping the road and throwing snow from the front lawn onto the road to melt.  This is good.
My nasal passages are clear.  No allergy pills today! 
My pea shake was kind of tolerable today, still sweet but ok.  Need to get some alternate meals for lunch though. 
Made some date sweetened one bite brownies (vegan) for dessert.  They are yummy and kind of guilt free...really.  My house smells Devine right now..chocolate is the best.

Need to go back outside and take advantage of the warm day.  More snow throwing!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »
I'm cold and tired and starving today. Can't overeat because we are nearly out of groceries. That's right...the grocery fairy hasn't been by lately (an alternative explanation is that I have been too busy to stop at the store for a long time and it's an hour drive so running there right quick isn't going to happen either). We have a bit of frozen meat and a few pantry essentials left. And a stock of gluten-free flours. I almost wish there was takeout nearby but our only option is gas station pizza. So DH is bringing home some essentials so we can have breakfast for dinner...eggs for adults and pancakes for the littles. Bonus: we will have enough leftover pancakes for their dinner tomorrow too! I absolutely must get to the store tomorrow to restock or we will be out of luck over the weekend.

I'm going to cut way back on running until it warms up and we have less on our plates. It'll mean not doing an extra half-marathon this year but I'm feeling overscheduled and this is the easiest thing for me to drop. It's much easier to fit in a quick 1-3 miles than to plan for the weekly long runs necessary to properly train for distance.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
Skipping my planned walk because Iím reviving chilled baby rabbits against my stomach. Have never succeeded at this before but most of them are moving, so itís a good sign. Just not sure if the mom will care for them if they do make it. Thankfully I have a potential foster mom in labor as I type.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2018, 06:31:49 PM »
Walked a 45 minute circuit through trees and roadways to get all errands done. The new location is fantastic for this!

Kept to eating plan.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
I went to the doctor today...AND asked for help with a non emergent issue

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
Ate when hungry today. Did some exercise. Victory is mine.