Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 82621 times)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #400 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Tris Prior, it is going to sound weird, but have you considered Depends?  One of my former co-workers used to use them when she was in a situation where access to a toilet was a problem (in her case it was during long bus rides at high altitude with minimal tree/bush availability).

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: March 07, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
My healthy choices appear to be giving me much more endurance, and reduced appetite. I've spent the last few days moving and doing intensive cleanings, and got through them beat, but with no need for food. When I finished today's, I walked around town pondering what "treat" I might celebrate with, realized absolutely nothing was needed!

This means the hormones, blood sugars, etc, are balancing beautifully.

This is a great update, happy to hear @jooniFLORisploo  Keep it up!

I am waiting in the airport for my trip home..being around my family is always educational. I am so thankful they are kind people, even if their lifestyle doesn't bring me any peace of mind. I always leave feeling invigorated to make healthy choices and to live a good life--helping out others where I can..but also taking care of myself.

Have the house to myself for the next two weeks! (SO out of town for work), so might take the time to do a cleansing diet and get a yoga or gym pass. It sounds woo-woo but I love doing a deep clean, decluttering, using essential oils and marking the upcoming change of seasons with some ritualistic self-care.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 07, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Have the house to myself for the next two weeks! (SO out of town for work), so might take the time to do a cleansing diet and get a yoga or gym pass. It sounds woo-woo but I love doing a deep clean, decluttering, using essential oils and marking the upcoming change of seasons with some ritualistic self-care.

This sounds so nice! I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share more details on your ideas here? I'm all ears if so!

@jooniFLORisploo I'm glad you are feeling so energetic and contented!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: March 07, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Thanks, Serendip and madgeylou :)
Things feel so nice inside my body. All hummy.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: March 07, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
@Tris Prior  For snacks - how about sweet potato flatbread? You can make it as simple as you want - cook a couple sweet potatoes til pretty soft, add flour of choice (I do 1 1/2 cups sweet potato to 1 cup flour), add any flavorings ... Spread mixture out on parchment paper and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Cut up into approximately 6 servings. There's also a recipe for quinoa flatbread - just cooked quinoa + flour + flavorings. I haven't tried that yet though.

*I haven't tried this yet, but have thought of using chickpea flour to add protein/bean serving.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: March 07, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »

This sounds so nice! I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share more details on your ideas here? I'm all ears if so!

@jooniFLORisploo I'm glad you are feeling so energetic and contented!

My ideas aren't totally formulated quite @madgeylou but I just arrived back to a quiet, clean house (my guy left it unbelievably tidy. I am so happy) On the way home, I washed & cleaned the car and bought a load of frozen berries & veggies.

Going cross-country skiing with a friend tonight

& for the next 2 weeks will aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night (minimum) and will try for no computer/digital time after 8 pm or before 8 am (excluding yoga classes which I stream online)

I have made a plan of whole-food eating (morning smoothies, steamed greens/veggies, green tea & ginger tea) and am going to try to keep social demands minimal so that I can focus on healthy movement & cleaning the space
 (we are planning a soon to be attempted restructuring of the living space so that I have a designated art studio... will work towards this!)

Have a trip planned to a hydrotherapy spa (don't have to pay due to a work arrangement I have with them)

I love the idea of aligning our spaces with the way we aspire to live so each year I do a cleanout (around the same time as taxes) and then I feel like there are no loose strings for the upcoming year.

It's a lot for 2 weeks but I am making it my time and see how I feel :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 07, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
@Tris Prior  For snacks - how about sweet potato flatbread? You can make it as simple as you want - cook a couple sweet potatoes til pretty soft, add flour of choice (I do 1 1/2 cups sweet potato to 1 cup flour), add any flavorings ... Spread mixture out on parchment paper and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Cut up into approximately 6 servings. There's also a recipe for quinoa flatbread - just cooked quinoa + flour + flavorings. I haven't tried that yet though.

*I haven't tried this yet, but have thought of using chickpea flour to add protein/bean serving.

That sounds pretty good! Not sure about the chickpea flour - I've tried chickpea pasta and crackers and both had Unpleasant Consequences (too many beans? I dunno). Though both also tasted good. I've mostly stopped eating wheat but have not yet really dove into all the gluten-free options out there. Maybe rice flour? Almond flour? That's so expensive though. Hmmmm, I recently baked with oat flour (just ground up oats) and that came out OK, wonder if that'd work?

lhamo, that is definitely a creative solution! :) Though, my father was in diapers and he always smelled and they leaked. I don't want the pee smell to scare off customers, hahaha.

I'm hoping it'll turn out that I do in fact know someone who will be attending the convention who'd be willing to drop by my table now and then to watch my merch while I pee. I think this is the first year that my vendor friends didn't get in (artists are chosen by random lottery so it's a crapshoot. I haven't gotten in for the past 3 years.)

In unrelated news, my entire right side from shoulder to hip is one giant muscle cramp today. Especially bad in the lower back area - did you know your lower back muscles are involved in breathing? I DO NOW!! :P - but seriously, it's that whole side. I've no idea why - slept funny? Worked some OT this week at the desk job? It sucks and I'm scheduled to do strength training tonight so ugh. Hopefully I can at least do some of what I'm supposed to do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:21:26 PM by Tris Prior »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 08, 2018, 05:54:50 AM »
I didn't eat dessert last night despite horrible sugar cravings. After gritting my teeth for awhile, I finally went and brushed my teeth...it's sort of a signal...teeth are clean, no more eating today. Figured out a plan to pack lunches easily for a trip to town today also.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #408 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »

That sounds pretty good! Not sure about the chickpea flour - I've tried chickpea pasta and crackers and both had Unpleasant Consequences (too many beans? I dunno). Though both also tasted good. I've mostly stopped eating wheat but have not yet really dove into all the gluten-free options out there. Maybe rice flour? Almond flour? That's so expensive though. Hmmmm, I recently baked with oat flour (just ground up oats) and that came out OK, wonder if that'd work?

I think oat flour might work. I think the main thing is the sweet potatoes need something dry to create the "bread."

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
Did my first distance run in a LOOONG time (like maybe close to a month?) today -- it was at a slowish pace (5.0) and only 2.5 miles, but I covered that in 30 minutes.  I probably could have gone another .5 miles in another 6 minutes, but I had already talked myself out of stopping a the .5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 intervals, so I figured 2.5 was good enough.

I really don't enjoy running for long periods, though.  So I think my new strategy will be just to gradually up my pace but limit myself to 30 minutes running total.  I think that will provide sufficient motivation to keep myself doing the longer runs while seeing regular progress as I work toward the 30:00 min 3 mile goal.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: March 08, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
We had a healthy lunch in town today by stopping at the grocery store to top off on supplies before lunch. It was all stuff we needed but by shopping before lunch, we resisted the temptation to just grab something greasy because we were starving. Plus, good monetary savings. Taking at least Saturday off of driving... maybe tomorrow too as kid is sick. I'm supposed to go to work but might take the day off instead just to avoid the drive.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 08, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
Yes -- take the day off!  Kid trumps work any day, and that contract job has sucked enough of your life energy up already....

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
Yes -- take the day off!  Kid trumps work any day, and that contract job has sucked enough of your life energy up already....

Yes ma'am. :-) Taking the day off will be my healthy choice for today.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
Asked a friend to accupuncture me. Feels so amazing

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »
Slept horribly last night -- around 1am the smoke detector in my bedroom started with the "low battery" warning/chirping.  It is on a vaulted ceiling and I need DS's help to get the ladder up that high, so I went downstairs to try to sleep on the couch, which rarely works for me.  Very fitful sleep.

HOWEVER, I did not use being exhausted as an excuse to wimp out at the gym.  Was pretty pleased with my 2.5 miles in 30 minutes yesterday, so decided to turn it up a notch.  Did three cycles of gradual increases of my speed from 5.0-6.0 and ended up running 2.73 miles in 30 minutes.  If I can increase my speed by just .05 miles/30:00  every week, then I should be at my 30 minute 3 mile goal by mid-April.  So I think I am going to shoot for that.   Might make it sooner -- my heart was at a pretty high BPM at the top speeds, but dropped down quickly once I went down to the slower speed.  So I think I can probably push myself a bit harder.  I like using 30 minutes as a cutoff rather than trying to see how long it takes to cover the 3 miles.  Works better for me psychologically to be trying to add distance in a defined time rather than reduce time on a set distance.  Is that weird?  Wouldn't be the first or only thing weird about me, I guess....

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Asked a friend to accupuncture me. Feels so amazing

I am curious about acupuncture. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use it for? I have back and shoulder and neck pain and massages feel good, but the effects don't really last. My muscles tighten up again fairly soon after, and considering what a massage costs here it seems not really worth it?

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
Was really craving a change in texture within my current eating plan, and was wanting to treat Kid, so I finally went for it and made paleo pizza pockets, which had seemed intimidating to me. They were crazy easy to make, and we both just loved them! I've never had any other pizza pocket, so I don't know how they compare to anything, but Kid gave them 5 stars. Coconut flour base!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 11, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
Boyfriend's 50th birthday was yesterday. Festivities included Indian food out with friends, followed by karaoke and drinks. Then came home and had cake. Oof.

I miss baking SO much, you guys. I love scratch baking and thoroughly enjoyed baking his cake yesterday. I halved the recipe and made it in a small square pan because, for 2 people, we do not need a huge cake.

Honestly, I don't even want any more of the cake right now. Progress? (Between overindulging last night and feeling out of sorts from the daylight savings time change - which always gives me insomnia - I feel like CRAP right now.)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
How do you all react to others commenting on what or how much you are eating?

At Boyfriend's birthday dinner, one of Boyfriend's friends (a TINY very thin woman) commented to me after I had finished, "wow, you really cleaned your plate!" And I felt really embarrassed and piggish. And, well, FAT. :( She pushed all of my "my god, don't you have ANY self-control, fatty?" buttons.

Now I think about it and think, "who SAYS that to people? Why did she care what I did or didn't eat? How does my food intake harm her?" I would never consider commenting on the amount of food someone has eaten because it is *none of my business* (unless, like, it's communal food and they ate it all and I didn't get any, haha).

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »
I only want treats today. So I made smoothies with no veggies, just fruit and almond milk and seeds. I feel like a rebel.

@Tris Prior I internally respond like you, but externally turn it around

"I know, right? I'm so happy that I had SO MUCH. So good and now I am super fueled. (And then I either order a dessert or talk about how much food is better than dessert because salty yummy goodness)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »
I only want treats today. So I made smoothies with no veggies, just fruit and almond milk and seeds. I feel like a rebel.

@Tris Prior I internally respond like you, but externally turn it around

"I know, right? I'm so happy that I had SO MUCH. So good and now I am super fueled. (And then I either order a dessert or talk about how much food is better than dessert because salty yummy goodness)

@Tris Prior  I do something similar to @ElleFiji and say (with a satisfied smile and not-fake enthusiasm) "I did and it was delicious"
Owning your own delight can be a game-changer!

Also Elle, I have been taking a break from green smoothies and having berries/flax/chia ones this week..feels so decadent :) I eat so many greens anyhow so I realized reducing my intake in the morning isn't a big deal and makes them way more enjoyable!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
@Tris Prior - some cultures consider cleaning a plate off completely is rude.  Others consider leaving crumbs on a plate is rude. So there is no winning. Your guest was rude IMO.  I agree with the others that you have to try and turn it around. 
I love it when I see people eat my food with joy - it brings me joy.  You can borrow my voice. "Glad you enjoyed your food" 

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
My kid says he's really enjoying my Lenten commitment to healthy choices, because he didn't have to share even one bite of his pizza :)    Everybody wins!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »

At Boyfriend's birthday dinner, one of Boyfriend's friends (a TINY very thin woman) commented to me after I had finished, "wow, you really cleaned your plate!" And I felt really embarrassed and piggish. And, well, FAT. :( She pushed all of my "my god, don't you have ANY self-control, fatty?" buttons.

Now I think about it and think, "who SAYS that to people? Why did she care what I did or didn't eat? How does my food intake harm her?" I would never consider commenting on the amount of food someone has eaten because it is *none of my business* (unless, like, it's communal food and they ate it all and I didn't get any, haha).

I don't like it when people comment on what/how much/how little I am eating either due to my past history with disordered eating.   I can get a bit snappy if I am not in a good space.  But if I am in a good space, I just say something like "yes, that's right".    I don't comment on other's food consumption either. 

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »

My typical response is something like "Bitch, who asked you?" or some slightly more polite variation thereof like "Funny, I don't recall soliciting commentary on my food intake!"

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »

My typical response is something like "Bitch, who asked you?" or some slightly more polite variation thereof like "Funny, I don't recall soliciting commentary on my food intake!"

I want to sit next to you! Bitch Please!
Yeah, that wasn't nice. A really close friend may be able to say that as a joke, but otherwise, nope.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »

Yeah, that wasn't nice. A really close friend may be able to say that as a joke, but otherwise, nope.

It's also not nice to comment on other people's food choices.
You could leave off the "bitch" to be more polite, I guess :)
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #427 on: March 12, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

It's also not nice to comment on other people's food choices.
You could leave off the "bitch" to be more polite, I guess :)
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

True. I do want to sit next to you though (that wasn't throwing you shade - hard to tell tone in text sometimes).  If someone said something like in the original post to one of my friends, and I overheard it, I would probably say something (if they didn't).  If they said it to me, not sure I would have my wits about me to say anything - they'd get a nasty stare though....

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: March 12, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
I didn't take it shady, dear G-dog :)

The worst part of this to me is that so many people who say stuff like that woman said to Tris don't even realize what they are saying is (1) none of their business and (2) super rude and (3) possibly triggering to the person they are talking to. It's just such a mindless upholding and policing of societal rules against women. I'm always willing to be polite about it at first, because folks just don't know ... but I'm not willing to be polite about it forever.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »

The worst part of this to me is that so many people who say stuff like that woman said to Tris don't even realize what they are saying is (1) none of their business and (2) super rude and (3) possibly triggering to the person they are talking to. It's just such a mindless upholding and policing of societal rules against women. I'm always willing to be polite about it at first, because folks just don't know ... but I'm not willing to be polite about it forever.

Yes - I am still tearing the socialization mask off of some behaviors I ignore as typical, but now have an "a-ha" realization that the behavior is meant to keep <oppressed group> "in line".  Often from oppressed group.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: March 12, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »

Yes, that's it exactly - I felt policed. Like I was failing to be "ladylike" and show restraint around food and stop eating before I'm satisfied out of some belief that women "should" eat like little birds or something. Why? Patriarchy? Social conditioning? I don't even know. Fuck that, srsly.

I didn't say anything in the moment because I didn't want to cause a scene at Boyfriend's party, which was important to him, and it was a small group. I talked to Boyfriend about it after and he thought she'd just spoken without thinking - which is probably true. But still - why is it that we so easily default to food/body/diet talk? Why did that just fall out of her mouth without her thinking about it first?

Great article, btw, madgeylou!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:06 PM »
*Set out clear boundaries re volunteer project (e.g., "If you'd like me to continue to work for free, here's what I need, what I will do, what I won't accept. If that's met at some point, let me know and I'll resume.")

*Engaged in counselling appt to navigate next phase of parenting most effectively

*Declined to "bite" on a person making stories in their head so they could "take offense"

*Stuck with eating plan

*When overwhelmed with desire for an Easter treat, bought myself a nonedible present :)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #432 on: March 12, 2018, 10:49:37 PM »

Internal fury, external laughing it off. Female socialization FTW! (not)

I'm sorry that happened to you. People can be so clueless. Like, how is it normal to comment on people's food choices? ugh.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »
Healthy choice for today: packing a dinner for extended time in town with fresh veggies. And deciding to postpone 5k scheduled for this weekend until June. I don't feel up to it, so I am going to wait.

Unhealthy choice: cheese grating the back of my finger...less of a choice than accident but ugh. So painful. Note to self: if answering kids question while grating cheese either do not look at kid or stop grating before looking over at kid. All other options = bad.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #434 on: March 13, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
I am doing intermittent fasting.  The 16/8 structure. I am on day 5.  I have not been perfect but I am starting to make better choices.  I also got rid of a lot of junk food from the house. Not everything, but at least it is manageable now.  I am trying to not bring more home. 

I haven't noticed any weight loss yet but I am hoping that is just my body adjusting.  I actually gained 1. Go figure.

I also a started some exercise. I am hoping to get myself up to doing it for a half n hour. Right now I am doing some cardio and light weights.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
My personal trainer just posted this on Facebook. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this:

"Exercise is not something that can be enjoyed. I love going to the gym. I love the first few reps of a set, when Iím warming up, when Iím feeling strong. But this is not exercise. Exercise doesnít begin until shit gets hard. Until your muscles and brain are screaming for you to stop. Itís torture, itís awful, and when itís over the only thing I want to tell my trainer is piss offówhile I hobble out the door.

Be very weary of those people who tell you that they like exercise, that what they do is fun, and that youíll like it too. If you like it, well, you probably arenít exercising."

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: March 13, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
Most forms of exercise have proven detrimental to me. I listen to my body, not to standard advice.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
My personal trainer just posted this on Facebook. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this:

"Exercise is not something that can be enjoyed. I love going to the gym. I love the first few reps of a set, when Iím warming up, when Iím feeling strong. But this is not exercise. Exercise doesnít begin until shit gets hard. Until your muscles and brain are screaming for you to stop. Itís torture, itís awful, and when itís over the only thing I want to tell my trainer is piss offówhile I hobble out the door.

Be very weary of those people who tell you that they like exercise, that what they do is fun, and that youíll like it too. If you like it, well, you probably arenít exercising."

Uh .. my first thought is - if you don't enjoy it or get something beneficial out of it, you are probably going to stop doing it. So .. this sounds like a load of ...

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: March 13, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »

I mean, maybe it's true for THIS guy, but I certainly don't think this is true for everyone (definitely not for me). There are many reasons to get some exercise, like clearing your head, getting some fresh air, getting your blood moving, building cardiovascular fitness, building muscle, increasing flexibility. None of this requires suffering, and none of it has to feel like torture.

Sounds like your trainer is trying to stir up controversy to get clicks maybe? Or maybe he actually believes this. But it doesn't make it True with a capital T.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
That sounds like the kind of trainer whose clients probably are pushed to overdo it and end up injured a lot.  So he/she has to post hardass stuff on FB to try to drum up more clients....

It also sounds like someone who doesn't understand that not everybody wants to run a marathon, bike a century, or deadlift 2x their bodyweight.  Some of us are primarily concerned with having decent cardiovascular fitness, suitable strength to do daily activities without injury or pain, and good balance -- things that will carry us well into our 80s and 90s.  Many of us walk as a primary form of exercise.  The benefits of a daily walk of 20-30 minutes on health and longevity are well researched.  You don't even need to work up a sweat to get many of those benefits.  Beats sitting on the couch.

Tris, I hope you can find some more positive, less critical people to surround yourself with.  I would be so triggered by people in my daily life being so in my face about this stuff....

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
Oh -- almost forgot my workout update:

Ran 2.81 miles in 30 minutes -- that's almost .10 improvement since last Friday!  Only need to do that two more times and I'll be at my 3 in 30 goal.  And I think I can do it - I was tired at 30, but probably could have pushed myself a bit harder.  I think April 1 will be my new target date.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »
I mean.... I thought that to stick with exercise, it was best to find something we actually enjoy doing, so that we continue doing it. That's worked for me in the past, though the things I enjoy aren't currently available to me (walking outdoors, gardening, dance classes that I'm working on budgeting for but aren't possible right now).

I'm doing high-intensity strength training of very short durations, with him. Do I enjoy it? No, not really.... but I'd like to be able to carry groceries up the stairs without feeling like I'm going to die, and avoid the osteoporosis that runs in my family, and be able to lift things when necessary in life. And he's been respectful of my physical weaknesses and inabilities, though I admit I sometimes push myself too hard and then have trouble sitting down or putting on my bra the next day. Sure, he'll say things like "last time you did X reps so this time I'd like to see you try for Y reps," but that doesn't bother me. I was actually really surprised to come across this post, as that's not been my experience with him.

I think it's time for me to hide his FB posts for a while. I've actually started hiding FB ads for stuff I find triggering - seriously, FB, stop showing me the "why you must quit sugar NOW" sponsored articles! - which is helping my mental state. It sucks to be scrolling on my phone on the train and then get slapped with a post that's shaming or triggering or otherwise something I don't need in my life.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »
Tris, I use a third-party thing called FB Purity. It's been WONDERFUL. I have my FB stripped down to almost nothing -just the posts I've chosen to see, from the few people I've chosen to see posts from. No ads, no "people you may know", no extras.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
Does that work on iphone? Hmmmm, must look into it. I have a Chromebook at home and used to use Social Fixer, which worked great.... until it somehow died and stopped working. I loved that extension - you can filter out posts containing specific words: Trump, Weinstein (I installed it when the Weinstein stuff came out), diet...

Haha, someone called him out and said, " If exercise isn't supposed to be fun, good luck in getting people to exercise. Perhaps that's why so few people do it."

Trainer responded: "This is exactly why people donít do it. To get results over years and decades, it has to suck. But people are told it doesnít suck, so 1) when they donít get results, they stop. 2) when it actually does suck, they quit and try something less effective."

I guess this depends on your definition of "results," then. And.... if it's fun wouldn't people do it anyway, assuming schedule and money and weather permit? I didn't bellydance in hopes of losing weight or getting stronger. I did it because I thought it was fun.

This is just all so odd to me. I appreciate everyone's perspective on this! I think we all agree, here. :)

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
I started the year in the "Lose weight in 2018" thread, because to be fair, I do need to lose some weight.  I've realized that there are other things standing in my way besides optimizing my diet and lifting more weights, though, so I decided to jump over here instead.

My biggest goal right now is to get enough sleep.  Our toddler goes to bed at 8 or so, and my alarm goes off at 5:20 am.  I work 4 10 hour days, so on the days I work I try to cram all of my "me" time and my chores in after he goes to bed, and then I end up not going to sleep until 10:30 or 11 or 11:30, and it's so dumb.  I feel like crap when I only get 5 or 6 hours of sleep. 

I'm going to do my best to be in bed, lights out, no phone, by 10 pm on the nights before I go to work, and 10:30 on the other 3 nights of the week (when I wake up at 6:30 or 7 the next day)

My husband will be sad, because we'll have less time to watch movies and read and stuff, but I feel like being perpetually just a little bit (or a lot) tired is driving a lot of my other health issues.  I don't interact with our kid as much/as well, I eat more (especially sweets) because being tired makes me munchy and I eat to keep myself awake, I drink more coffee, I don't work out because I'd rather go home and sit, my chores don't get done because I'd rather just sit and read and eat chocolate at night  .

I'm not going to focus on sleep to the exclusion of caring about food or exercise, but it's definitely going to be my primary focus for the foreseeable future. 

Last night I went to bed at 930.  I feel much better today than I did yesterday, but there's still a lot of yawning going on.  Obviously it'll take more than one day, but it's a start!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »
...being perpetually just a little bit (or a lot) tired is driving a lot of my other health issues.

So wise! Even just the impact of poor sleep on cortisol levels alone can result in stubborn weight challenges.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
It was raining this morning, so I gave in to DD's request to drive her to school (I don't drive her as much as I drive DS, and she has started to notice the discrepancy....). Went to the gym right after and had a pretty good interval workout.  I am discovering that an earlier workout seems to work much better for me -- feel much more motivated and energetic if I start before 10am, somehow.  And also have more energy for the rest of the day.

It probably also helped that I slept better last night.  Sleep is a powerful medicine....

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
chaskavich, that sounds like a good plan. It's so hard, though! I don't have kids but I find myself having to cram chores, cooking, eating, exercising, work on side business, etc. in during the evenings, and before I know it, it's after 10 and my partner and I have spent zero time together. This is why I want to retire - I don't particularly dislike my job, but I cannot stand how much time I lose to sitting on my ass in a cubicle. I can completely understand choosing me-time over sleep.

Lack of sleep definitely affects health in other ways! In addition to exhausted, it makes me weepy, gives me brain fog, makes me feel tense and tight all over, and, worst of all, leaves me constantly STARVING. The time change always gives me insomnia - last night did not fall asleep until 2:30 or so? - and generally fucks with my body clock, badly, and since Sunday I have been constantly hangry. I know it's my body trying to get energy however it can, but geez, this is really wearing thin.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »

I'm going to do my best to be in bed, lights out, no phone, by 10 pm on the nights before I go to work, and 10:30 on the other 3 nights of the week (when I wake up at 6:30 or 7 the next day)
I'm not going to focus on sleep to the exclusion of caring about food or exercise, but it's definitely going to be my primary focus for the foreseeable future. 

Last night I went to bed at 930.  I feel much better today than I did yesterday, but there's still a lot of yawning going on.  Obviously it'll take more than one day, but it's a start!

This is such a great thing to focus on @chaskavitch ..my partner gets up at 6am daily so he has set a reminder on his clock to tell us to 'get ready for bed' around 9:30, so that we wind things down by 10. It makes a world of difference when I get a good nights sleep..plus, it's pretty funny when guests are over and he says "sorry guys, my alarm went off..it's bedime!"

Healthy choices: bought a gym pass..eegads I am not a gym person but every year I do it in the spring for at least a month. It's like a personal challenge to get out of my comfort zone and move more intentionally. I just ran/walked for 30 min and even though the distance I covered is minimal, my brain feels lit up...like the increased blood-flow actually made it into there!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
I was thinking about derogatory words some people use re: choosing our food ("militant", "extreme", "rigid", etc). I think what they don't know is that for people like me, it feels like the opposite of those descriptors.

When I eat optimally for my body, what I experience is freedom, joy, fun, delight, happiness. Some of the happiness comes straight from the resulting biochemistry. Some of it comes from deliciousness, some from the fun of tasting a new-to-me recipe that really worked out, some from having it so easy to select my foods, some from seeing symptoms disappear, some from seeing signs of increased health appear.

Each day I choose from a couple of hundred delightful ingredients, and get creative about how to mix and match them for various outcomes.

My list of ingredients is "focused", but rigid etc? Not a match.