Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 88680 times)

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
Iíve never heard of water kefir - how do you make it (link or description)?

Here's a good page explaining what it is - most people are more familiar with milk kefir (which is easier to make than yogurt IMO)

https://www.yemoos.com/pages/water-kefir-overview

Mine are currently happy (growing and multiplying) in 4 cups filtered tap water, with 1/4-1/3 cup cane sugar and a fresh date or a little molasses once a week or so. I pour that off through a strainer and refill it. With the liquid my current favorite combo is adding pureed raspberries, lemon and ginger, then put a lid on so it gets nice and bubbly overnight in the refrigerator.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
katscratch, I just adored your list! Too many wonderful things to point to specifically. Thanks for sharing those :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
Today, I'm unreasonably proud that I had a salad. And did dishes.

Fell off the food & exercise train somewhat after going to a wedding a 5 hr drive away, followed by "that time," followed by friends visiting over the weekend... Went hiking Sunday but napped a lot Saturday and Monday. Then came down with a terrible mood Tuesday that's stuck around... as part of that, none of the food we had around (or that I took to work) sounded good, even when I was clearly hungry. Yesterday, I ended up going for a pizza bagel at 3:30 (but assembled won ton soup with lots of vegetables for dinner...because it was the easiest), today I got a bag of chips while leaving campus at 7 (but it powered me through making my salad!...?)

I really hope my funk ends soon. I miss having energy and motivation...

Attached: won ton soup. For shameless bragging.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:14:52 AM by galliver »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
That soup looks super fantastic!

I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee. Still at half caf because of trying to overcome side effects of allergy medicine. Still putting in goat milk (because I can't have cow). But cut the sugar. I'm supposed to run again today...super unmotivated. Freezing rain just gets me down.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
Hi all,

Just finished a really interesting book about how gut-health influences emotions/mental health (The Psychobiotic Revolution: Mood, Food and the New Science of the Gut-Brain Connection)..

So I am 'experimenting' with reducing sugar and it is quite hard. Feel like I already eat quite healthfully but now I can see how I still have a mild sugar addiction (I will still eat fruit, but am trying to eliminate processed/refined in most forms)   

Also, increasing fiber and veg---might even get my gut health/microbiome tested to check levels of healthy bacteria.

Recently I have been doing Yoga with Adriene sessions everyday, but am nursing an irritated hip so not much skiing or walking--I notice not being outside is affecting my mood.

Also I've been meditating every day this year (missed 1 so far!)..this is by far the biggest change and I wonder if I am just noticing my mood fluctuations more due to this increased practice? Maybe I'm not actually fluctuating more but feeling/noticing it more rather than pushing through...hmmmm.this is just occuring to me..

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »
I really fell off the wagon yesterday. Co-worker, who is from Bulgaria, brought in this Bulgarian feta bread sort of thing - like spanakopita without the spinach. I usually don't touch the work food but it looked SO good. Ugh, white flour.

Once I got home I was starving and ate a bunch of saltines - which I don't even like! They are only in the house because we have a mouse problem and we have humane traps where you slide in a saltine spread with peanut butter. More white flour. FAIL!

I started cooking dinner but was still starving and had nothing to snack on other than the saltines while I waited. No fruit, no veg that can be eaten raw other than those that were going into the soup I was making (and I was already short of what was needed).

Then I remembered the piece of cherry pie that's been in the freezer since Christmas. :( At least I only thawed and ate a few bites of it. But still. Flour and sugar. FAIL!

And then capped it all off witih a glass of wine. FAIL!

This was all emotional eating because we got our cat's ashes back from the crematory yesterday. They were delivered to my work because a signature was needed so they sat there on my desk all day as I tried to function while getting increasingly upset. Then I took them home and we had a little memorial for her - then Boyfriend promptly left to go to a social event, leaving me alone in the house with a box of saltines and pie in the freezer and no one looking. (Is it just me or is anyone else more likely to fall off the wagon when no one's looking and there's no one around you to be accountable to?) My friend saw my Facebook post where I posted a pic of the little memorial we set up for her, and texted me, "You need wine, NOW." Power of suggestion, I guess. Herbal tea was just not cutting it.

I did do my strength training workout, though. So that is something.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
I really fell off the wagon yesterday. Co-worker, who is from Bulgaria, brought in this Bulgarian feta bread sort of thing - like spanakopita without the spinach. I usually don't touch the work food but it looked SO good. Ugh, white flour.

Once I got home I was starving and ate a bunch of saltines - which I don't even like! They are only in the house because we have a mouse problem and we have humane traps where you slide in a saltine spread with peanut butter. More white flour. FAIL!

I started cooking dinner but was still starving and had nothing to snack on other than the saltines while I waited. No fruit, no veg that can be eaten raw other than those that were going into the soup I was making (and I was already short of what was needed).

Then I remembered the piece of cherry pie that's been in the freezer since Christmas. :( At least I only thawed and ate a few bites of it. But still. Flour and sugar. FAIL!

And then capped it all off witih a glass of wine. FAIL!

This was all emotional eating because we got our cat's ashes back from the crematory yesterday. They were delivered to my work because a signature was needed so they sat there on my desk all day as I tried to function while getting increasingly upset. Then I took them home and we had a little memorial for her - then Boyfriend promptly left to go to a social event, leaving me alone in the house with a box of saltines and pie in the freezer and no one looking. (Is it just me or is anyone else more likely to fall off the wagon when no one's looking and there's no one around you to be accountable to?) My friend saw my Facebook post where I posted a pic of the little memorial we set up for her, and texted me, "You need wine, NOW." Power of suggestion, I guess. Herbal tea was just not cutting it.

I did do my strength training workout, though. So that is something.

@Tris Prior There's just something about getting the ashes of a loved one that makes it all so more final. It was that way for me when I've had a couple different cats put to sleep, and even more so when my dad died. Mega hugs.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »
Thank you both.

I'm realizing how often I relied on the cat for comfort. She was the sort of cat who would curl up in your lap when you're upset or stressed or crying. I need to find a new way to comfort myself - physically, not mentally, I'm doing decently on coping mechanisms for that at least - that does not involve anything going into my mouth.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
Iím so sorry to hear about your cat, Tris :( Itís so hard to lose a pet.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
My healthy choice for today was to turn around and come home when the event I was supposed to attend was turning into a rigamarole!

So I did some Yoga with Adriene instead and now will do some therapeutic cooking :)
Strangely satisfying to cancel plans and have friends totally understand.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »
Nice one, Serendip :))

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity and poverty!
« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Aww, so sorry, Tris.  :(  Some emotional eating is totally understandable in that situation.

Hit the gym and deadlifted for the first time in a while yesterday.  A little sore today but not bad.  Went for a run in the snow today.  It was actually pretty nice once I rigged my running shoes up to prevent ice balls from building in the bottoms.  Realizing a little snow wasn't going to kill me, I then went out the stable and worked with my horse a little bit since the roads are fine.

I rode in a jumping saddle the other day for the first time in several months and realized some of the muscles required there have really atrophied.  I'm also lacking a little aerobic fitness that would help improve my riding in the canter; when horse makes a mistake, I'm usually too out of breath to help her and make a correction, so I just let the whole thing fall apart and we both get a breather instead, but that is going to change.  I suspect I'm not breathing properly when cantering, which is probably contributing to the breathlessness.

Hope everyone has a great, healthy week!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
The person who -after leaving me hanging for two months- suddenly needed an "emergency meeting" subsequently didn't respond for another week on the date he'd tentatively selected. Needing to facilitate two people's lives in a Very Busy Tomorrow -preferably with time for at least one meal at home- I sent a note to say "haven't heard, so xnay on the meeting-ay." I'm not a good fit for people who need to do everything last minute, and I don't do that for volunteer jobs nor make-work activities. Also, I already did the task they wanted anyway!

tl;dr: Ended another eternal wait so I could live well!

*Planned out tomorrow to ensure time for rest and homecooked food
*Cooked up a giant vat of stew so we have food ready for our long day
*Connected with all the neighbours today!
*Lots of truly re-creating activity
*Ate beautifully and according to intention, despite countless goodies on offer

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »
The person who -after leaving me hanging for two months- suddenly needed an "emergency meeting" subsequently didn't respond for another week on the date he'd tentatively selected. Needing to facilitate two people's lives in a Very Busy Tomorrow -preferably with time for at least one meal at home- I sent a note to say "haven't heard, so xnay on the meeting-ay." I'm not a good fit for people who need to do everything last minute, and I don't do that for volunteer jobs nor make-work activities. Also, I already did the task they wanted anyway!

tl;dr: Ended another eternal wait so I could live well!

Stupid, chaotic, last minute and ever changing stuff was one reason I left a volunteer gig last summer. Stressful, got chastised for someth8ng I HAD done, micromanagement.  Bullshit.

So glad you are sharing this example of healthy choices!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »

That sounds really annoying, joon - glad you were able to say no!

Boyfriend had a shock this morning because his idol, Kevin Smith, had a heart attack. His "widow maker" was 100% blocked. http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/kevin-smith/271226/kevin-smith-survives-massive-heart-attack Kevin is 3 years younger than Boyfriend so this definitely gave him pause (though Boyfriend is not as obese as Kevin).

I'm hoping this inspires Boyfriend to make healthier choices. He lowered his sugar and bread intake when Kevin started talking about how sugar and flour are poison and addictive and blahblahblah - never mind that *I* had been telling him this for years; apparently it's got to come out of Kevin's mouth for it to carry weight with him, no pun intended. ;)

Yesterday, I white-knuckled my way through probably the worst sugar craving I've had since I started cutting out sugar last fall. I seriously wanted to go into Dunkin' Donuts (WHY are there Dunkin' Donuts in nearly every el station?! Never mind, I know why) and get a dozen and just sit there in the el station and stuff my face with the entire thing. Instead I went to H&M and spent $100 I didn't have, using credit card, on clothing. I hate that I cannot control my eating and my spending at the same time. That being said - I did not eat any donuts!

I skipped working out last night because I ended up crying over the cat, AGAIN. The strength training workout that my trainer gave me to do yesterday included some exercises that I find EXTREMELY painful and I just couldn't make myself inflict pain on myself when I was already upset. So that was a fail. I'll have to make myself do it tonight and maybe I'll be in a better mood.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
Today we just...were. Kid activity and trip to town postponed. Minimal must-do schoolwork completed outside in the warm sunshine. The rest of the day was given over to unstructured play and reading (me...kids are still playing). It's the first day where it was really comfortable to be outside for long periods of time in months. Whatever else was on the to do list is going to have to wait.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
Nice one, Serendip :))

Sometimes no-thing is the best thing, right? :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
I did strength training AND a short yoga routine yesterday!

The routine was for "neck and shoulder release." It made my neck and shoulders hurt. I was looking for something gentler and stretchier and instead got an "OW!" routine. Oh well. Many more videos to choose from; that one's now off the list.

We are expecting a high temp of 57 today! That is definitely not normal for Chicago in February. And it's not going to last, so I'm going to take a long walk at lunch.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
I had a couple of minimal exercise weeks while we were in court.   Did make it back into the gym on Friday, and again Monday and again today.  Running is hard, though.   I did two one-mile runs with a .1 walk between today, but just couldn't get myself to do the third mile I should have run.  I did keep walking to 60 minutes and just over 4 miles covered total, though.

Weight is holding steady at right around 160 -- this seems to be my new set point.  It should start edging down as the weather gets better and I start getting outside more.  I will probably add walks several times a week in addition to gym workouts.  Plus gardening.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
Still loving this thread!  Iíve been drinking green smoothies for breakfast all week (spinach, water, frozen banana, mango, pineapple) and feeling great!  Also drinking Kombucha regularly and taking a probiotic supplement.  Itís amazing how much better I feel.

Also I have been going to cycle class this week and LOVING it.  Did cycle twice this week and did yoga three times this week so far!

Years ago I had unhealthy habits I thought were healthy at the time.  Forcing myself to do lots of cardio when Iím was exhausted and I wasnít fueling my body.  Now I look forward to eating real food at every meal and fueling my body to do work I love.  This thread has been key to keep my mind in a healthy place.  Skipping meals is NOT a victory and sleep is just as important as exercise!  Keep up the good work, everyone.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
I miss my smoothies. My blender's nearly dead and cannot handle, like, even chunks of frozen banana. Anyone have a recommendation for an *affordable* blender that's good for smoothies?

I want to get back into bellydance classes and my friend's taking aerial classes (in a different state, but I checked and we have them here too) and they look SO much fun. I'm balking at spending the money though. The bellydance classes have doubled in cost since I was going regularly about 7 years ago - though they were underpriced then. And I'm not sure I have the upper body strength for aerial yet (though after 4 months of strength training I now can actually do a couple of pushups!).

Basically I need to find exercise that I like doing. The strength training is going fine but it feels punitive and I catch myself doing a lot of negative self-talk. The one good thing is that it's high intensity training so it's over quick. :)

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
Having a really rough week. Just feeling stuck and not seeing a lot of opportunities to get past it. I get so wound up and disgusted with my job, and then from this emotional state, the writing just ... doesn't happen. Which makes me feel worse. Today I've been alternating between snapping at my colleagues and just feeling shitty and crying a lot. Trying to have faith that I will feel better soon and take good care of myself in the meantime -- meditation, yoga, walking, getting sleep.

This afternoon I'm going to sing with my buddy in Longmont -- maybe that'll help.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
:(((((

Really hope the singing does the trick, dear madgeylou!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »
:(((((

Really hope the singing does the trick, dear madgeylou!

Oh yes - I predict the singing will help. For now maybe you can hum a little, think musical thoughts.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
Still loving this thread!  Iíve been drinking green smoothies for breakfast all week (spinach, water, frozen banana, mango, pineapple) and feeling great!  Also drinking Kombucha regularly and taking a probiotic supplement.  Itís amazing how much better I feel.

Also I have been going to cycle class this week and LOVING it.  Did cycle twice this week and did yoga three times this week so far!

Years ago I had unhealthy habits I thought were healthy at the time.  Forcing myself to do lots of cardio when Iím was exhausted and I wasnít fueling my body.  Now I look forward to eating real food at every meal and fueling my body to do work I love.  This thread has been key to keep my mind in a healthy place.  Skipping meals is NOT a victory and sleep is just as important as exercise!  Keep up the good work, everyone.

I feel similar @ThreeCarbsNoGrains , I just started my smoothie routine again this week and feel great. Is it spin classes you are going to? I would like to try them out and can do a free class at a centre near me.

@Tris Prior I know my sister likes the magic bullet..easy, affordable & frozen bananas work in it (but I wouldn't jam it up with too much fibrous stuff since it's a lightweight blender). I was able to get my Vitamix on Visa points a few years ago but they are indeed pricey blenders.

@allsummerlong go for a massage! I went this week and while not mustachian-- was so great to receive work for my aching hip (*6 months) and I think re-aggravated by skiing

@madgeylou hope things open up for you in unexpected ways and that singing brings some comfort to a rough day!

I always like the start of a new month..I can check in with my goals and now it feels like spring is one step closer.
I've been increasing yoga at home, have done meditation every day this year (except one day), and have *ambitions* of feeling stellar by summertime.
My SO is gone for 3 weeks so I am committing to self care and healthy-eating while he is gone, and might do some restructuring of our living space so that I have a studio-space to create in (he has agreed to a trial run of this restructuring..ha)

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. It's a beautiful day in Colorado and I'm done working and I got some hugs from my husband and watched Lin-Manuel Miranda hearing Weird Al's polka version of Hamilton for the first time which is DELIGHTFUL, so I'm feeling a bit better. I'm sure the singing will help, even in the car on the way over there. I probably need to make more of an effort to sing every day ... it surely improves my mood like nothing else.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 02, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
Sorry things have been rough, madgeylou! The polka Hamilton made me LOL at my desk at work this morning. I should go listen to it again.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: March 02, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
Meh. I need more time in the sunshine and less time with stressful stuff. Maybe after next week. Less than great choices today: chocolate cake and coffee for an afternoon snack. And I was just not up to making a picnic dinner before coming to work and then making a 3 hour drive this evening. We're getting takeout. Hopefully next week will be better.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 02, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Stomach was a bit off this morning (I think the leftovers I had for lunch yesterday were probably a bit too old) but I STILL made it to the gym and did an hour of incline walking on the treadmill.   AND got two phone calls/scheduling things I was dreading dealing with out of the way.

That video was so funny....

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: March 02, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
@Tris Prior , I've been making smoothies every morning for several years now with my Kitchenaid Immersion blender (just checked and they're $40 at Target).  It does well with fruit and greens - both frozen and fresh - as long as there's enough liquid.  I haven't tried blending ice with it though.  It comes with a cup you blend it in and clean-up is so easy.  I just rinse off the blender and drink the smoothie out of the blending cup and then wash it.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: March 03, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »
Yesterday I decided that, for the time being at least, I'm going to stop weighing myself. Because I find myself getting too obsessive about every little fluctuation on the scale and that is not healthy for me.

I admit that part of me finds this really scary and I fear that without external feedback I will toss all caution to the wind. I guess we will see how this goes.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
Results of healthy choices so far:
*sleeping crazy well
*went to put on a pair of pants last night that hadn't been fitting the last 8 months and voila!!
*face skin looks brighter

My focus had really been to remove cream and honey from my otherwise fairly optimal eating, but I actually made more changes.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
Yesterday I decided that, for the time being at least, I'm going to stop weighing myself. Because I find myself getting too obsessive about every little fluctuation on the scale and that is not healthy for me.

I admit that part of me finds this really scary and I fear that without external feedback I will toss all caution to the wind. I guess we will see how this goes.

@Tris Prior I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but when I am tracking my weight, I use an app called "Happy Scale" that sort of smooths out all the day-to-day fluctuations, which helps me not freak out about them. Sometimes I also just decide I'm going to weigh myself every Wednesday morning or something, and that also helps smooth out the daily changes.

Just some suggestions -- it can also be really good to track in other ways, like how do these pants fit, or to stop tracking altogether for a while or forever. Many ways to go forward, all of them are A+ just fine.

@jooniFLORisploo Sounds excellent!!

As for me, as predicted, after singing with my buddy yesterday, I am feeling much better about life. I facetimed with my BFF, too. This morning I'm spending some time texting for the resistance. These are all very healthy choices for me!

It's absolutely gorgeous today -- 60 degrees and sunny! -- so I'm gonna go out and play in it after I'm done with my texting shift. Onward!

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »
As for me, as predicted, after singing with my buddy yesterday, I am feeling much better about life. I facetimed with my BFF, too. This morning I'm spending some time texting for the resistance. These are all very healthy choices for me!

It's absolutely gorgeous today -- 60 degrees and sunny! -- so I'm gonna go out and play in it after I'm done with my texting shift. Onward!

:))))))))))))))))))

I do love how for so many of us, singing is a magical elixir! Free, accessible for almost everyone, can do solo or with others, indoors or out, fast or slow, in sunshine or snow...  Singing is new for me in the last year and a half. It's one of those things I feel like, "Darn, which I'd found out sooner that I loved this so!" I was so shy with it 18 months ago, now not so much hahaha.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »

:))))))))))))))))))

I do love how for so many of us, singing is a magical elixir! Free, accessible for almost everyone, can do solo or with others, indoors or out, fast or slow, in sunshine or snow...  Singing is new for me in the last year and a half. It's one of those things I feel like, "Darn, which I'd found out sooner that I loved this so!" I was so shy with it 18 months ago, now not so much hahaha.

It really is kind of magic. It engages the breath and the body and the soul in a way that is visceral and deep and not at all abstract. I feel sad when people who clearly WANT to sing refuse to allow themselves because they think they're not good at it.  It's like not going out for a walk because you're not an Olympic runner.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »

@Tris Prior I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but when I am tracking my weight, I use an app called "Happy Scale" that sort of smooths out all the day-to-day fluctuations, which helps me not freak out about them. Sometimes I also just decide I'm going to weigh myself every Wednesday morning or something, and that also helps smooth out the daily changes.

Just some suggestions -- it can also be really good to track in other ways, like how do these pants fit, or to stop tracking altogether for a while or forever. Many ways to go forward, all of them are A+ just fine.

I think for now I am better off not weighing at all - I was doing so once a week but the number on the scale then determined how tightly I restricted food until the next weigh-in, and resulted in a lot of negative self-talk, and that's the part that's unhealthy for me. I think my fatal flaw last summer, when I quickly gained a bunch of weight, was not putting on pants for 6 months. I only wear pants when it's cold out and my summer wardrobe is very flowy. So I think that noticing how my clothes fit - and being sure to at least try on pants once a week or so in the summer! - is better for me.

Talk to me about texting for the resistance? The campaign I was volunteering on did text banking and that was PERFECT for this introvert (I absolutely cannot do phone calls, and I'm glad that some of the responses I got were just words on a screen; I could treat it the same way I read a racist or profane or hateful comment online and just move on relatively unscathed).

+1 on the singing. I cannot wait for my friend's Hamilton sing-along birthday party!

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: March 03, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
@Tris Prior -- totally makes sense on the choice to stop weighing yourself for a while. Good on you for recognizing what you need and making it happen!

This is where I signed up to do texting for Conor Lamb. It's pretty cool, there's a website that allows you to send the texts, receive responses, and write back.

I sent 400 texts this morning and probably got about 70-80 responses. Many of them were wrong numbers, some were like "no I'm not voting for that guy," and I was able to hook a few more people up with Indivisible. I had only one guy who was upset enough that our contact info was wrong that he called me up and yelled at me. You don't have to take calls, though. Overall it was a really easy way to contribute from home!

A Hamilton sing-a-long birthday party sounds AMAZING.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:11:49 PM by madgeylou »

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
I miss my smoothies. My blender's nearly dead and cannot handle, like, even chunks of frozen banana. Anyone have a recommendation for an *affordable* blender that's good for smoothies?

I want to get back into bellydance classes and my friend's taking aerial classes (in a different state, but I checked and we have them here too) and they look SO much fun. I'm balking at spending the money though. The bellydance classes have doubled in cost since I was going regularly about 7 years ago - though they were underpriced then. And I'm not sure I have the upper body strength for aerial yet (though after 4 months of strength training I now can actually do a couple of pushups!).

Basically I need to find exercise that I like doing. The strength training is going fine but it feels punitive and I catch myself doing a lot of negative self-talk. The one good thing is that it's high intensity training so it's over quick. :)

I bought a NutriBullet for $69 off Amazon.  It was the cheapest option that I could find that was powerful enough to handle frozen fruit.  It also takes up minimal counter space and is easy to clean.

I have a few friends who LOVE aerial silks.  You should try it!  No need to wait until you have more upper body strength.  And if you are doing push ups you have significant upper body strength!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #388 on: March 05, 2018, 06:58:53 AM »
Pulling myself through this funk now that we have had four days of some amount of sunshine in a row.  I have had mood swings and weight yoyo-ing for six weeks now.  I had thought I was through the winter blahs and missed the signs that I was really down. I hadn't done any winter sports this whole darn winter.  Bad for my health.  I have been hibernating in front of the fireplace.

So I have solidified some goals to get my weight to a new low for post 50 me and get going on the fitness and strength part of my life.
This past weekend has demonstrated the handle we now have on our finances.  While we are far from perfect and far from our goals, the changes that we need to make have been made and now time is needed for earning and saving.  Time to switch intensive focus to my health improvement.

Goals:
I will get some cardio exercise three times per week to build endurance for our summer trip.  I want to be able to hike three hours every day while on our holiday in July.  So this week I will try to do twenty minutes of cardio (a brisk walk, dancing or treadmill program) three times.
I will do some strength building three times per week.  The first part of the goal is to just try to do something even if it is just 90 seconds of carrying a brick from the backyard to the front or doing a chair sit while I brush my teeth - just enough to exceed nothing and build a habit of thinking about it for this first month.
I have a weight goal of 130 pounds by July 15.  This week's goal is to record in my notebook everything I eat.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: March 05, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »
Went running yesterday despite not wanting to. After I got started, it was quite pleasant...a nice quiet alone time outside after a weekend of stress and overstimulation.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: March 05, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Have continued with temporary eating plan despite (1) having a cold and (2) being in the midst of moving. Having a kitchen in one place and not the other has required creativity, yet so far so good!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »
Horribly stressful day at work yesterday and I had no snacks in my desk. I caved and bought cookies out of the vending machine. After eating them, realized: they weren't even good! Noted for future.

I need ideas on healthy food that I can bring to an anime convention that I am vending at, in the near future. This show is very large and the days are long and I will be vending alone - even running to the bathroom to pee is a challenge and literally depends on the kindness of strangers (i.e., asking the people next to me to watch my table and hope nothing's stolen when I get back). Boyfriend isn't coming because I'd have to buy him a $65 badge so he can enter, and he doesn't even like anime so there's no point.

I used to bring PB sandwiches but am no longer eating bread. The only food available at the venue that is vegetarian is those nachos with the rubber cheese sauce, which a) yuck, b) messy. And, well, I can't really leave my booth anyway to get some.

Criteria:
- does not need refrigeration
- not messy in any way, including leaving salt or cracker dust on my hands or being juicy (like an apple)
- not sugary (not only because I'm avoiding sugar but because it doesn't have staying power and leaves me hungrier)
- not salty (have to limit water consumption as getting away to pee is an issue)
- not difficult to eat very neatly - seriously, ANY time I take a bite of food there's immediately a customer standing in front of me

So - larabars? Unsalted rice cakes? Unsalted nuts? Dried fruit? I can't just eat that for 3 days, though. And all of that other than the rice cakes is pretty high calorie.

At least it is indoors so heat/cold/rain/weather are not issues.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
Hmm, maybe hummus with cucumber/carrot slices?

Apples can be less messy if you cut them up beforehand, they tend to dry out a bit. Could eat with peanut butter for more calories (if you are able to eat carefully)?

A nice rice or quinoa/veggie salad? This would keep outside of refrigeration and be easy to eat and tough to get sick of.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
I've made rice bowl type cold salads before for events like this where I don't have time for a full meal (I don't do a lot of beans/grains but that would be even better protein/fat wise). My body needs a lot of fat to get through the day so I tend to use an oil based sauce and use feta and avocado in addition to other veggies.

At work I have a jar of peanut butter for times I'm totally stuck and can only run out for 1 second and run back in.

Do you eat yogurt? Yogurt can be left out for the day - or you could freeze them the night before. I don't do sweetened yogurt so I've taken plain yogurt and mixed it with dried fruit, crushed nuts, and cinnamon. If I'm somewhere public I avoid oats or chia seeds so that I don't have to emergency floss ;)

I second hummus - even just a spoonful here and there.

I can only tolerate green bananas now that I don't eat sugar, so that might not work for you either.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
I ate pizza and drank a beer on the weekend, after months of not eating those things, and I am still feeling the effects. It is a valuable reminder. I much prefer the full use of my joints and thoughts without fogginess and swelling :)

Healthy choice for today:

My workplace is trying to entice more people to commute via transit, and after I turned in my commute log for the month I received an email asking which incentive prize I wanted. The choices were a canvas tote bag, an LED arm band, an umbrella, or a tumbler. I replied that I prefer no incentive prize.

I don't need any of those things. It feels good to turn down free stuff.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
I have been visiting family..it is both good & tough, so I am trying not to be hard on myself for questionable choices (ie..food options, beer) but know that tomorrow heading home, I will be back to my particular way of being.
They live very differently (environment is quite chaotic) so I find myself coping in odd ways. Makes me want to minimize and clean out my fridge when I get home!

@Tris Prior I like to make a big quinoa salad with cut up veggies (peppers, tomatoes, cukes, parsley), olives, lemon juice, olive oil,  cumin, salt..it tends to keep well if you are out for a day.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
Beautiful sunny day, so I did a lap around Green Lake instead of slogging on the treadmill in the gym.  Including 10 minutes just sitting on a bench soaking up the rays.  It felt really good!

The padding is shot in my running shoes and I really should get a new pair.  Any recommendations for good shoes for supinators?  I found a list on line at one point, but prefer personal recommendations.

In other news, spent many hours ruminating and dealing with some complicated Feelings today.  I may have consumed the last of the potato chips in the house in an effort to escape from the remnants of said Feelings.  Ugh.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
My healthy choices appear to be giving me much more endurance, and reduced appetite. I've spent the last few days moving and doing intensive cleanings, and got through them beat, but with no need for food. When I finished today's, I walked around town pondering what "treat" I might celebrate with, realized absolutely nothing was needed!

This means the hormones, blood sugars, etc, are balancing beautifully.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I should add "will not give me bad breath" (I love me some large quantities of onions and garlic and spice in my rice bowls) and "will not get stuck in teeth."

I am probably better off with stuff like hummus and peanut butter that I can eat with a spoon. The trick will be not slopping it all over myself and my merch while I'm quickly shoveling it down between customers.

I forgot that the venue is very, very, overly airconditioned year-round so I don't think I have to worry about food spoilage after all. Seriously, I have to sit there in my winter coat, it's so freezing cold in there.

I wish I could just, like, drink protein shakes all day. But I have to drink as little liquid as possible. That's the part that totally sucks. I end up coming home and just guzzling water (and then I'm up all night peeing.) And I can't have any coffee in the morning either (have to leave the house at 6 a.m. so caffeine would really help, haha.). This event sucks. But it makes me a lot of money. Argh.

Woke up to snow. Not as much snow as the Northeast is apparently getting hammered with, but I am so sick of winter I could just scream. I want to be able to take walks again without being miserably cold and having to walk slowly and carefully over ice.

There is an entire chocolate cake in the office breakroom. :(

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 07, 2018, 08:39:08 AM »
Beautiful sunny day, so I did a lap around Green Lake instead of slogging on the treadmill in the gym.  Including 10 minutes just sitting on a bench soaking up the rays.  It felt really good!

The padding is shot in my running shoes and I really should get a new pair.  Any recommendations for good shoes for supinators?  I found a list on line at one point, but prefer personal recommendations.

In other news, spent many hours ruminating and dealing with some complicated Feelings today.  I may have consumed the last of the potato chips in the house in an effort to escape from the remnants of said Feelings.  Ugh.

My experience is that companies change their shoes, sometimes even the same model, from year to year. I go to a running shoe specialty store for up to date information and fittings. I've found the ones that do the extensive fittings by asking local runners, preferably distance runners who are picky about shoes. I like new balance 880s in last year's iteration but will have to re shop myself soon as they change in March.