Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 34231 times)

nessness

• Stubble
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
We traveled this weekend to visit family and I ate pretty poorly, though not as badly as I sometimes don't when traveling. Back on track today!

Breakfast: oatmeal with flax, cinnamon, blueberries, and slivered almonds
Snack: trail mix (made with pumpkin seeds, soy nuts, and dried blueberries), half a bell pepper, and whole grain crackers
Lunch: quinoa salad with chickpeas, feta, and bell peppers in a homemade vinaigrette, and an orange
Dinner: ??. Probably pasta with pesto. I found some pasta at Grocery Outlet made only out of beans that is surprisingly good and much more filling than traditional pasta.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:07 PM »
Ran two miles on the treadmill in 21:32 this morning, cutting 10 seconds off my previous best time for that distance.  I probably could have done it faster, but I was originally going to try to do the full 3 mile distance I usually do, but changed my mind 1.5 miles in.  So I only had .5 miles to ramp up the speed from my longer-distance 5.5 mph speed up to 6.5.   

I didn't want to run AT ALL when I first started, so I'll call this another win.  I find I usually feel like it is a horrible slog up until about a mile in...
Wherever you go, there you are

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Have totally fallen off wagon re healthy eating and exercise though. It just doesn't seem that important while the cat's dying. I'd rather sit on the couch and let her sleep on my lap.

I've come to believe that the most important skill in a lot of areas (but health and fitness among them) is getting back on the proverbial horse. Stockpile all the cat snuggles while you can; maybe read a book or do something else quiet and restful that you've been craving while you're at it. Then, when you can, start again on the other goals.

Dinner: ??. Probably pasta with pesto. I found some pasta at Grocery Outlet made only out of beans that is surprisingly good and much more filling than traditional pasta.

We've had that! It's kind of rubbery to my taste, but we like mixing it with regular pasta to add protein and 'stretch' the carby goodness (we do that with veggie noodles, too) :)

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
*Completed the period of deep rest I'd committed to
*Napped at 10am, lol (started day at 5, and realized I was feeling off by then, this fixed it)
*Cooked my first new dish from new cookbook (DELISH!)
*Chose coconut oil vs butter for it, as I prepare for food experiments
*Let all the rare sunshine and fresh air in YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Skipped the honey in my regular refueling dish
*Went into the world to play
*Made a point of getting to one thing while kid was occupied and to another early, so that I might end up with adult conversations -it worked!
*When I got my kid some food out, I realized I needed none myself
*Despite being overstimulated and pondering a handful of candies to bring me down, I skipped those and reheated some of the delicious lunch instead
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:06:58 PM by jooniFLORisploo »
what a waste of a window i say

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
Welcome, allsummerlong :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2018, 12:31:16 PM »
Ran two miles on the treadmill in 21:32 this morning, cutting 10 seconds off my previous best time for that distance.  I probably could have done it faster, but I was originally going to try to do the full 3 mile distance I usually do, but changed my mind 1.5 miles in.  So I only had .5 miles to ramp up the speed from my longer-distance 5.5 mph speed up to 6.5.   

I didn't want to run AT ALL when I first started, so I'll call this another win.  I find I usually feel like it is a horrible slog up until about a mile in...

If it's any consolation lhamo, most of the long distance runners and/or the folks who have been running for years all say the same thing. The first mile is the hardest and they all complain of feeling like a junk car. It seems to take about that far for pretty much everyone to get their joints loosened up and moving well.

I want to start running again but haven't quite gotten to it. Tonight I'm going to have DH monitor the kids so I can run on our treadmill. I signed up for a 5k in March because I find them motivating and enjoyable. And I'm planning on a half marathon in May. It's an "indulgence" because it is in city where we used to live and an excuse for a firm date to go see friends there. Plus motivation to keep exercising through the cold, gray ick that is winter here.

I'd like to post some food wins here but those are in the future. The strongest positive statement I can make around our food lately is that everybody has been getting food on a regular basis and at least some vegetable were involved.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
The strongest positive statement I can make around our food lately is that everybody has been getting food on a regular basis and at least some vegetable were involved.

:)))))  LOVE!

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
I prepped black bean soup last night to make in the crock pot today and then forgot to start it. Doh! It's in the fridge so it'll be fine to cook tomorrow, but I was looking forward to having dinner ready when I got home tonight, especially since my husband is working late tonight, and it's hard to cook when I'm on my own with both kids. Fortunately, I have a couple of easy, healthy-ish options on-hand:
- Scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast and fruit
- Burritos with refried beans, salsa, frozen fajita veggie mix, and whatever else I can find to put in them
- Whole wheat pasta with pesto and sauteed mushrooms

I've been discovering that planning for super easy meals is really the key for me. I have a bad habit of getting too ambitious in my meal planning, then not finding the time to make the meals I planned, resulting in eating crappy meals and letting food go to waste. No more! Last night we had peanut butter and banana sandwiches and smoothies. Optimal nutrition? Probably not, but not too bad since I used natural PB and whole wheat bread, and I threw some spinach, flax, and turmeric in the smoothie. And it was ready in 15 minutes and my 3-year-old could help.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
The strongest positive statement I can make around our food lately is that everybody has been getting food on a regular basis and at least some vegetable were involved.

:)))))  LOVE!

Yep. Good enough!  I’m glad you are not berating yourself over this.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
I prepped black bean soup last night to make in the crock pot today and then forgot to start it. Doh! It's in the fridge so it'll be fine to cook tomorrow, but I was looking forward to having dinner ready when I got home tonight, especially since my husband is working late tonight, and it's hard to cook when I'm on my own with both kids. Fortunately, I have a couple of easy, healthy-ish options on-hand:
- Scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast and fruit
- Burritos with refried beans, salsa, frozen fajita veggie mix, and whatever else I can find to put in them
- Whole wheat pasta with pesto and sauteed mushrooms

I've been discovering that planning for super easy meals is really the key for me. I have a bad habit of getting too ambitious in my meal planning, then not finding the time to make the meals I planned, resulting in eating crappy meals and letting food go to waste. No more! Last night we had peanut butter and banana sandwiches and smoothies. Optimal nutrition? Probably not, but not too bad since I used natural PB and whole wheat bread, and I threw some spinach, flax, and turmeric in the smoothie. And it was ready in 15 minutes and my 3-year-old could help.

THIS

The fancy meals just don't get eaten in this house.  Not because we don't plan them or want to eat them...but because we don't COOK them.  And we don't even have kids!  The best meals are the easy but healthy ones.  Smoothies are a big win here.  Simple rice and chicken bakes or from frozen shrimp made into stir frys are also common.  Sandwiches are acceptable too...lol.  I feel you!  You are doing good!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »

Dude, sometimes that's literally all I can manage too. Sounds like a win to me.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »

If it's any consolation lhamo, most of the long distance runners and/or the folks who have been running for years all say the same thing. The first mile is the hardest and they all complain of feeling like a junk car. It seems to take about that far for pretty much everyone to get their joints loosened up and moving well.

I've been running for a long time, and this is SO real.

Sorry I haven't been around much recently. I'm also on the struggle bus...work has been so busy and exhausting for the last two weeks, and it's probably not going to let up until mid-April. I've also had some family drama going on for extra awesomeness. I feel off-kilter, like I've been eating sh*t (but I have no energy to cook), like I haven't spent quality time with my boyfriend in weeks, and I haven't gotten a gym routine nailed down. Or even, gone to the gym for my free trial day, because that takes effort and mental energy. And I tripped and had a pretty bad fall out running on Monday, and my knee is still swollen and sore. I'm meeting a friend for yoga tonight. I don't think I can do cat/cows or anything on my knee, but hopefully I can just modify.

All I want to do is collapse at home with a glass of wine and HBO, but I leaned pretty heavily on alcohol last week when the family drama was at its apex (by which I mean like, one glass a night). So I don't want to do that two weeks in a row.

Just, ugh. I'm feeling pretty down right now but I keep reminding myself that the only way to get through it, is to get through it.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
Today I got super overexcited about A Thing, a Very Big Deal. I was fuzzy and disoriented and, when required to leave, could only get myself as far as the nearest coffee shop. Still in a daze, I ordered some stuff I thought would "bring me down" -a flat white and an oat fudge bar. After some minutes of sipping, I still hadn't received the bar. Went to request it, cashier said she hadn't included it in the order but would get it -and charge me- now. I really thought I had paid for it, but didn't have receipt... But also realized I didn't need the bar -nor the extra calories- in any case! I declined to re-order and pay or repay for the bar. I was okay enough now :)

tl;dr: I UNordered a dessert bar I didn't need.

Also, at the grocery store I took the big step of not buying honey. Honey and cream are my only real downfalls. So even though this meant I'd have to break the news to my kid of "no honey for now", I did it! (He was fine. Oh.)

I bought us frozen coconut chunks as a fun snack instead.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
I lack the willpower to unorder dessert, ever.  Well done, jooni!

No gym today, as we had a high school tour this morning.   But I did get a fair amount of walking in -- 10 minutes uphill x 2  with DD to the bus this morning, then the same to go pick her up and the reverse to get home.  So that's what -- 40 minutes of walking, with 2/3 of it uphill?  Not quite a full treadmill workout, but I'll take it.

Yesterday my preferred treadmill was occupied, so I went back to the rowing machine (had been taking a break from it as my elbow is a bit off).  Didn't get my best time, but it was ok considering I didn't really kick into gear until the last 5 min of a 20 min routine.   

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »
Well done on cancelling the desserts, going to yoga with a hurt knee, and muscling through that first onerous mile of running!

I jogged 3 miles on Tuesday, walked the dog and rode yesterday.  Planned to hit the gym tonight, but being a government employee, I went for "shutdown pints" with coworkers, thinking I'd walk the dog later tonight.  One turned into two, then I decided I'd better eat something, and bring some guilt pizza home to DH so yeah.  Given the shutdown, I'll get a workout in tomorrow to make up for it.  On the up side, we did have salad with the pizza...

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
BRING ON THE WEEKEND. My theme is going to be self-care. Lots of sleep, trying to make it to the farmer's market, batch-cook some easy soups since I've mostly emptied the freezer, fun date night on Saturday, get to the new gym on Sunday or die trying, since it's taking that first step that I'm getting stuck on.

Other than that, couch and the Olympics.

Wishing everyone else a weekend full of good things.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
I broke the 32 minute barrier on my 3 mile run today -- just barely at 31:57, but I'll take it!  That cut nearly 40 seconds off my previous best time.  I didn't check my stats before I started running and had mistakenly remembered the other run as clocking in in the 31:40 range --  was off by a whole minute (that one was 32:36).

I might be able to work up to that 30:00 minute goal after all....

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
We got a snow day - the office is closed. I have black bean chili going in the crockpot, made my overnight oats for next week, made vegan tuna salad* and am going to do some chickpea curry next. Healthy meals for the coming week, done!

If the cat ever stops sleeping on me I'm going to get back on the strength training horse and do my bodyweight exercises.

*I tried VeganToona on the recommendation of a friend. It doesn't really taste like tuna, and looks disturbingly like cat food, to the point that I had to double check the label after opening it, but with a little mayo stirred in and lots of chopped onion, it's not bad. At $4.69 for 1 can, though, I don't think I'm going to buy it again.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
I made a "picnic" lunch for everybody...home cooked food consisted of a beef roast plus we had peppers and carrots! And I have not, thus far, wandered off to FiveBucks to get overly priced sugary coffee and confections. But I really want to.

I'm taking a couple of weeks off running because 1) it is too cold outside; and 2) our lives have gotten busy and it has been stressing me out to try to squeeze it in. I plan to start back next week when the weather is supposed to warm up.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
In hour three of deep despair, I considered the junk food choices hither and yon.
Then told myself I could eat cold roast chicken from the fridge...but while I was tearing pieces of that into a bowl, thought I might as well start some rice...and thought if I'm waiting for rice, might as well heat the chicken...if I'm heating the chicken, may as well add 11 vegetables from two bags of frozen mixed...

Effortless; delicious!

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
I slept SO MUCH the last three days.  I had Thursday and Friday off work (kind of a bummer because Friday ended up being a snow day, but it was already my regular day off).  I was fighting a cold and seriously went to bed at 8 pm on Thursday.  Slept for 11 hours.  I had been lacking in sleep anyway - it's amazing how much better I feel after a few nights of quality rest.

There are also mediocre cookies in the break room at work that I am not eating.  Cookies are good, but mediocre cookies are always disappointing.  I want to be the kind of person who, if faced with awesome cookies, will eat an awesome cookie, enjoy it, and not give it another thought.  And if faced with mediocre cookies, will say, "Eh, I'll pass on this mediocre cookie."  So I'm acting as if I'm that person. :-)
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »
Go, RamonaQ!  More than once, I've been the kind of person to forego mediocre muffins in the break room, only to succumb and eat them, stale, a day later. 

Yesterday my yoga class was canceled so I did a 7.5 min HIIT session.  Not overly sore today, so if I'm okay tomorrow I will try to squeeze it in a few times a week.

Today is day 6 of no alcohol or junk food.  I've had a few items that are ambiguous (like a homemade protein square with chocolate-coated underside) but I'm still considering it good (enough), especially compared to last week, when I was mainlining Almond Roca and chocolate.  Cravings are PERSISTENT for that stuff.  :I

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
It's Fat Tuesday, which is Paczki Day in Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-paczki-fat-tuesday-restaurants-bakeries-20180210-story.html

Last year, the building I work in had a whole spread of free paczki in the lobby. I figured that if they did this year, that was a sign to have one. Didn't this year (probably because the lobby's under construction and they'd get plaster dust and other gunk on them).

But I almost cracked, you guys. I had to go to the post office at lunch, which is right by a fancy bakery that sells them. I decided that after I conducted my post office business, I'd check them out and see whether they had any left (they often sell out in the morning).

But, the post office clerk proceeded to cough all over her hands, tell her co-worker what a bad cold she has and how awful she feels, cough all over my change, and then hand it back to me. I had no hand sanitizer in my purse and there was nowhere nearby with a public restroom to wash my hands in. This totally killed any desire for me to do anything other than get back to the office as quickly as possible to fumigate myself. No paczki bought or consumed. Win?

I swear I'm not usually a huge germophobe, but I've FINALLY stopped coughing from the flu I had a month ago and the last thing I need is another disgusting illness.

For the record, I googled "how many calories in 1 paczki" and got answers ranging from 500-700.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »
In preparation for the "Whole46 [lent] Gauntlet" bought so many veggies, put 1/3 of them into a huge pot for stew, now simmering.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:19 PM »
mainlining Almond Roca

yum

But, the post office clerk proceeded to cough all over her hands, tell her co-worker what a bad cold she has and how awful she feels, cough all over my change, and then hand it back to me.

yuck

(That's about all the commentary I can manage today after working for 11+ hours.)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2018, 06:51:51 AM »
I would love to join please!

The last 18 months I went WAY off track with my spending, eating habits and drinking of wine...lots of wine. Stressed, not sleeping, fat and unhealthy, I began this year with a better job (more money, less stress, nicer colleagues, and 10 minutes walk from my flat!)and a new attitude. Yes, I want to drop 30-40lbs but I want to be healthy and fit and not have to obsess or count calories. So, here is what I have started doing in the past couple of weeks:

* eating more fruit & veg, and have simplified my dinners to a rotational of chicken in sauce with sweet potato and veggies, steak & roasted veggies or fish in sauce with new potatoes and veggies. Not going vegetarian, low carb, or fat-free, just eating less crap.

* cutting out alcohol. This has been hard, as I have definitely developed a habit of a glass of wine at night, but I am trying to replace it with water and teas and distract myself by doing chores.

* doing a 20 minute HIIT session with Joe Wicks, The Body Coach on YouTube about 3 times a week. Starting as a beginner, I thought I was going to die but I am definitely improving. I'm also doing Yoga once a week (again, YouTube). I want to start lifting some weights too, will play around.

* Instituted a sleep management routine. Still having difficulty as I wake up once or twice a night but I my body is getting used to the routine, I am sleepy by 9.30pm and wide awake by 6.30am.

* reducing time spent on my phone and tablet. Removed FaceBook from my phone. Also, stopped reading/watching the news as I could feel it taking a toll on my sanity.

* being kind to myself. I'm no longer making fat jokes about myself or criticizing my reflection. I'm buying myself flowers from Aldi once every two weeks, I'm doing my nails and wearing the nice jewellery.

*I created a three year budget plan. What a relief and a motivation! I can be debt free, have a three month emergency fund and projected to be saving 40% of my income within 30 months, while living a nice (frugal) lifestyle.

* I have been using up all the food, toiletries, household products I have and only buying milk, bread, fruit & veg as needed. I still have about two weeks worth of mains before I need to do a substantial grocery haul.

* I booked a cheap, self catering holiday in August to Corfu in a little fishing village I have been to before. There is a glorious beach, one grocery shop and a couple of tavernas so I know I won't be spending a lot. If that isn't motivation to shred some of this fat I don't know what is!
A goal without a plan is just a wish

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:06 AM »
But, the post office clerk proceeded to cough all over her hands, tell her co-worker what a bad cold she has and how awful she feels, cough all over my change, and then hand it back to me. I had no hand sanitizer in my purse and there was nowhere nearby with a public restroom to wash my hands in. This totally killed any desire for me to do anything other than get back to the office as quickly as possible to fumigate myself. No paczki bought or consumed. Win?

I swear I'm not usually a huge germophobe, but I've FINALLY stopped coughing from the flu I had a month ago and the last thing I need is another disgusting illness.

I'm a huge germaphobe this year! We had some sort of respiratory illness in our house from before Halloween to New Years. And 90% of that time 3 of us were sick. The. Whole. Time. All of us ended up needing antibiotics for walking pneumonia. We're avoiding sick people like the plague. I even put my perspective purchases down and walked out of one place because someone was hacking up a lung. Just no! I can't wait until flu season is over for this year!

I went running. Actually running outside. It was only sorta cold. And I need to train for a race I signed up for so that I would need to train for it and would actually go exercise. I only went a mile but did so in around 10-11 minutes. Which is super fast for me. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so I'll probably put the kids on their bicycles and go a little farther.

Now, if only I could find the bandwidth to improve our eating...that needs to be up next.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

The last 18 months I went WAY off track with my spending, eating habits and drinking of wine...lots of wine. Stressed, not sleeping, fat and unhealthy, I began this year with a better job (more money, less stress, nicer colleagues, and 10 minutes walk from my flat!)and a new attitude. Yes, I want to drop 30-40lbs but I want to be healthy and fit and not have to obsess or count calories. So, here is what I have started doing in the past couple of weeks:

* eating more fruit & veg, and have simplified my dinners to a rotational of chicken in sauce with sweet potato and veggies, steak & roasted veggies or fish in sauce with new potatoes and veggies. Not going vegetarian, low carb, or fat-free, just eating less crap.

* cutting out alcohol. This has been hard, as I have definitely developed a habit of a glass of wine at night, but I am trying to replace it with water and teas and distract myself by doing chores.

* doing a 20 minute HIIT session with Joe Wicks, The Body Coach on YouTube about 3 times a week. Starting as a beginner, I thought I was going to die but I am definitely improving. I'm also doing Yoga once a week (again, YouTube). I want to start lifting some weights too, will play around.

* Instituted a sleep management routine. Still having difficulty as I wake up once or twice a night but I my body is getting used to the routine, I am sleepy by 9.30pm and wide awake by 6.30am.

* reducing time spent on my phone and tablet. Removed FaceBook from my phone. Also, stopped reading/watching the news as I could feel it taking a toll on my sanity.

* being kind to myself. I'm no longer making fat jokes about myself or criticizing my reflection. I'm buying myself flowers from Aldi once every two weeks, I'm doing my nails and wearing the nice jewellery.

*I created a three year budget plan. What a relief and a motivation! I can be debt free, have a three month emergency fund and projected to be saving 40% of my income within 30 months, while living a nice (frugal) lifestyle.

* I have been using up all the food, toiletries, household products I have and only buying milk, bread, fruit & veg as needed. I still have about two weeks worth of mains before I need to do a substantial grocery haul.

* I booked a cheap, self catering holiday in August to Corfu in a little fishing village I have been to before. There is a glorious beach, one grocery shop and a couple of tavernas so I know I won't be spending a lot. If that isn't motivation to shred some of this fat I don't know what is!

Wow! That is a lot of change to take on! I especially love seeing the one in bold - it is so easy to skip this and keep a negative mindset and self-image.
What wonderful work you are doing for yourself.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
Send strength for avoiding the office bake sale today? I am craving sugar, HARD.

Mongoose, it's been awful, hasn't it? The worst is when you're stuck on public transport and someone is messily coughing up a lung and you can't escape.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
Send strength for avoiding the office bake sale today? I am craving sugar, HARD.

Mongoose, it's been awful, hasn't it? The worst is when you're stuck on public transport and someone is messily coughing up a lung and you can't escape.

Hope you have managed to resist, @Tris Prior !  If you are still fighting the good fight,
Spoiler: show
just think about all the germy hands,
 runny noses, and sneezing that have probably been near or in contact with the food.  2/$1 cookies, influenza as a free bonus!

* being kind to myself. I'm no longer making fat jokes about myself or criticizing my reflection.

Wow! That is a lot of change to take on! I especially love seeing the one in bold - it is so easy to skip this and keep a negative mindset and self-image.

For Valentine's Day, as a gift (because he won't forego giving me something), I asked DH to come up with strength training exercise routines for me.

I described my goals as:
1) get stronger (as my kids keep getting heavier!)
2) more stable core (I have intermittent back problems)
3) bulging biceps for flexing when we take pictures (this is a joke)  :)

I'm trying to appreciate my body for what it can do and how it is a nice home for me to "live" in, to take the focus off vanity (which is effective but not the healthiest attitude).

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
Bought myself some dark chocolate today (since my SO has decided to cut down on chocolate and beer this month, we haven't had any in the house!)

I was feeling in a bit of a darker place for the first 2 weeks of Feb but I think much of that was weather related and now with the sun being out for a few days-- has helped turn things around! Was just feeling a bit aimless.
  However, I know the sun won't last so will be upping my self-care for the next while.

Went skiing with my SO this morning, did a short meditation & yoga session and now might go for a teeny run (20-30 min alternating jog/walk) or else do it in the morning.
I am giving him a massage as a Valentines Day gift and then will also book myself one for next week so I get some healthy touch as well (he tries but massage isn't really a skill)

Looking forward to setting some goals..I think this is tied to the aimless feelings that tend to happen yearly.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
Even though I super didn't feel like it, went out to choral singing. Usually, I do this for fun. Tonight, it was as medicine -human contact, physical contact, vibrations, voices, the deep breathing involved in singing. Every time the notes gelled, and every time we laughed, I "evened out" inside :)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2018, 05:30:06 AM »

Thanks G-dog! I'm not going to say I am 100% there yet, but I am making progress. And yes, the negative mindset was really affecting me. I've found using gratitude journalling really helpful with this - if a bit "hippy-ish" for me ;)
A goal without a plan is just a wish

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2018, 07:55:53 AM »
Even though I super didn't feel like it, went out to choral singing. Usually, I do this for fun. Tonight, it was as medicine -human contact, physical contact, vibrations, voices, the deep breathing involved in singing. Every time the notes gelled, and every time we laughed, I "evened out" inside :)

I quit Threshold Choir, because it was like 99% bureaucracy and emails, and 1% bedside singing, but I met a friend to sing harmony with, and I spent two happy hours with him yesterday, and at the end I also felt so much more evened out inside. Nothing like it, is there? <3

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »
:)   Yeah. I also don't bother with any that require: performance, fake smiles, uniforms, choreography, memorization. I spend at least 5 hours per week singing with others in casual, joyful, playful opportunities. So nice.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »
Former choir nerd here and I know just what you mean. I would love to find an outlet like that around here. I actually was going to try and join what sounded like an informal singing group that I found on Meetup, a while ago. Turns out they require AUDITIONS. For a fun, informal, group that does not perform publicly, ever! WTF? No!

People here take performing really, really seriously. If you go out into the suburbs, there's community theater and places to do performance-like things for fun. But there's very, very little of that in the city, I've found. Except sometimes at churches, which are a thing that's OK for other people but not for me. Everything's professional theater or professional prestigious choir groups, and they expect you to put your life and possibly your day job aside in order to do what's needed. Boyfriend had a brief foray into this world a couple years ago. He found it way too intense and inflexible, and I didn't see him for 2 months. That's more than I can handle, I think.

joon, what sort of a singing group is this? Is it a church thing?

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2018, 09:29:02 AM »
Tris, I think that @norabird is involved with a women's social justice choir in NYC? I don't know how intense it is but it may be worth asking her about it if you're craving a place to sing.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
joon, what sort of a singing group is this? Is it a church thing?

Nope :)   A general community singing thing.

I've been in several of this kind in different parts of the world, trying to think of how I find them...   Usually a poster around town with words like "singalong" or "choir for fun." Often I'll attend a workshop in a town or camp and find out about ongoing opportunities that way... (Heck, yesterday I was singing to myself at the top of a mountain and a stranger came over and I ended up finding out about another camp I'm likely going to attend this summer!) There's the Ubuntu network -harmony!! Any of those in your area? http://www.ubuntuchoirs.net/index.php

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
Tris, I think that @norabird is involved with a women's social justice choir in NYC? I don't know how intense it is but it may be worth asking her about it if you're craving a place to sing.

Oooooo, I should see if we've got something like that here! That sounds amazing!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
I joined my yoga class for the chanting and music. My body is not a fan of "normal" yoga but boy does my soul love the chanting, and the poses are very different and easier to scale down than a regular class. There's often a mix of genders and ages so the voices chanting together are beautiful.

@okits what a great gift idea for you!
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
^ Oh yes! Kirtan, other chanting, similar stuff. I get to lots of that too.

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
I made a big batch of vegan tamales today. I'm planning to freeze most of them to use for fast weeknight meals. Unfortunately the masa turned out a little bland, but I think squeezing some fresh lime juice over it would help it out.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »

ChewBarker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm a Debt Murderer
« Reply #343 on: February 16, 2018, 06:53:56 PM »
MMM has really changed me for good.
1. eBiking to work and back, which is 17km.
    Cost per week for travel 36 cents.
2. Weight loss at 1kg per week due eating better and walking/biking.
3. Putting 10% more of my income into Vanguard funds
4. Not buying rubbish and generally being more careful with spending.

End result. Feeling a lot more resilient and able to handle stress a lot better.

😊

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
Kid has been sick. We did manage good food choices but because I bought pre-cooked chickens. Great cold with raw veggies and some bread but not good on the wallet. I got some zucchini to try making zucchini noodles with tonight's dinner. Must find the bandwidth to do that today and go running. Skipped yesterday because we decided to cancel all our plans which involved driving to town and just stay home.

We did spend a lot of time decluttering and cleaning. Clutter is so stressful for me! It is so much better now but I'm at a loss to remember what we removed or how we functioned with so much extra furniture. The front of my garage is currently completely full of unneeded furniture that was somehow crammed into my house. And the house is still full too. How is that possible? So good for stress reduction though.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
Went out dancing at a club last night. Exercise! Win!

Beforehand, had a delicious but fairly heavy dinner out (belated V-day celebration) and a glass of wine. Also had 2 more drinks at the club, hours later. I cannot remember the last time I had that much wine in 1 day. Fail! I have not binged on food or booze in a very long time. Though I don't know whether dinner qualifies as a binge. It was certainly more food than I've eaten at one sitting since Christmas.

Went to bed at around 3 a.m; got up at 10 today and went to an anti-gun-violence protest march downtown. (More exercise! Win! Also socializing with people around a common cause which is good for my mental health!) That should've been enough sleep, but I'm wrecked. It's probably the wine; I don't feel hung over but booze is not supposed to be good for restful sleep.

I'm supposed to do my strength training today; my trainer sent me a workout that looks AWFUL and PAINFUL and I don't want to do it because I'm feeling really worn out from the march. But, I told him I wanted to get back on schedule, since I blew off workouts for a while when the cat was dying and then died. So I'm going to do it. Since it's high intensity strength training it's over quickly, it's just the during that sucks, haha.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »
Missed the gym today because weather was better than expected so I spent the afternoon at the barn instead.  Will have to double up and do both gym and a run tomorrow.

But you guys:  my triceps are back.  I needed that little bit of motivation I needed since the scale isn't budging.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
Ate well, rested well, walked well, and went out to a hilarious thing because laughter and proximity to humans is great. (While there, a neighbour reached out, making clear that she too seeks someone to hang with.)

But the biggest health move was standing by the idea that "lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" [source unknown to me]. Two months ago I volunteered to do something I can do from home, inside my flex hours, that I'm already very experienced in. After two months of humming and hawing, today they declared it an emergency that we meet this week, on their schedule and in their town. Er, NO.

It's not an emergency, it's not even high importance, I've been available for two months, I can do it without our meeting, and I'm not available for those terms before next week. It seemed strange to me -their sense of sudden urgency, their idea that I would meet even though I already said I cannot.

I didn't like standing firm, but I did it. There is no way I could add that to this week. Trying to throw it in to everything else would have resulted in major stress. Big step for self-care!

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »
Ate well, rested well, walked well, and went out to a hilarious thing because laughter and proximity to humans is great. (While there, a neighbour reached out, making clear that she too seeks someone to hang with.)

But the biggest health move was standing by the idea that "lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" [source unknown to me]. Two months ago I volunteered to do something I can do from home, inside my flex hours, that I'm already very experienced in. After two months of humming and hawing, today they declared it an emergency that we meet this week, on their schedule and in their town. Er, NO.

It's not an emergency, it's not even high importance, I've been available for two months, I can do it without our meeting, and I'm not available for those terms before next week. It seemed strange to me -their sense of sudden urgency, their idea that I would meet even though I already said I cannot.

I didn't like standing firm, but I did it. There is no way I could add that to this week. Trying to throw it in to everything else would have resulted in major stress. Big step for self-care!
Nice job! If they want your help, they can get it on reasonable terms and using reasonable boundaries. Otherwise, to quote another unknown-author-truism, "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
Went running today. 4 miles. Took it slow since I've been off for a few weeks. It too just under an hour. It was fun as it was warm enough to run in summer clothes and the trail through the woods was quiet and nice. And I got it in before it started pouring rain! I have signed up for a 5K race on March 17 and a half marathon on May 6 to motivate myself. Feel good having the first training run under my belt!