Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 92507 times)

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
I took a 3-week break from social media (including this forum) which was great for my mental and spiritual health, and maybe my physical health too, since I spent more time being active and searching out healthy recipes. Highly recommended.

I also read the book "how not to die" and got more committed to a plant-based diet. It's going well and I haven't been craving junk food at all.

I've been making smoothies with my 3-year-old with berries, bananas, flax seed, spinach, cinnamon, and ginger. Easy and healthy. We call them "banana swirl" after Daniel Tiger. She's also started requesting bowls of plain raw spinach (because "it's so yummy!). A little weird but I'm not complaining.

Such a good thing to do periodically, a little social media re-set!

Also, I loved Dr.Gregor's book..I actually took it out again from the library and was considering re-reading it :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
After using all my internal resources to navigate a couple of hours of child's autism, then teen response, I had a giant craving for big junk food. Made a big batch of my homemade infusion instead :)

Now about to peel, break, and freeze another 15 bananas for future such moments.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
I am full of beasts and growls and surges this morning -some due to unknown sources, some due to known- so am working hard to balance that with:

*nourishing food (low carb, high protein hot pot at the moment)
*boundaries with kid
*walking
*hours reading and working in coffee shops versus being home/having access to electronics
*good music

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
I'm leaving work early today to go work out, then a dear friend is coming over to drink wine and make dinner. I'm pretty excited about my post-work plans :) They should be good for the soul.

My cheap(ish) month at my studio is up on Friday. I need to make a decision about my next move. Ugh, I keep waffling. Here are the options I have on the table at the moment:
  • Golds. Pros: $30/month, good variety of classes that fit in with my schedule, access to treadmill for when the weather's horrible. Cons: have heard that the group instruction quality is very hit or miss, and that the facilities themselves are not great.
  • Intro month at fancy yoga studio. Pros: excellent instruction, I miss yoga a lot, woman-focused atmosphere--I f**king hate working out near bro-y mcbrosephs. Cons: $60 intro month, $110-125 for monthly unlimited after that; not so much variety; schedule is workable but not my preference.
  • Intro month at another barre studio. Pros: I know I like it, excellent instruction. Cons: more of the same type of workout, would have to figure something else out in a month, still expensive.
  • Crossfit. Pros: find out what the f the fuss is about, great location and schedule that is very convenient for my life. Cons: most expensive option, and it's Crossfit...

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
fluffmuffin, would a quick visit to Gold's help you know if the facilities feel good enough to you? If they are, seems like that's the best option? You'd soon figure out which instructors you do like.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
Joon, it looks like I can actually get a free one-day pass to Gold's! Great idea to check it out before committing. I'll try to get in for a class this weekend.

It definitely makes the most sense financially.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Awesome, fluffmuffin!

Healthy Choice: I realized yesterday that I was starting to feel "ganged up on" by my to do list :)    Tax time, plus school, plus a request to my business that I don't like dealing with, plus new rec schedules, plus new kid term meaning new scheduling and new supplies gathering...     

I realized the antidote to feeling that stress and pressure was to knuckle down and plow through a bunch of it!

So yesterday I plowed through all the stuff that could be done from home, and today I'm plowing through a long list of things that can be done in one area of town.

This action totally lifted all stress yesterday, and I can already feel it doing the same today.

At the same time, it's a gentle effort in the sense that I'm NOT also travelling a full town over to do the final pieces and I'm NOT trying to align my stops with activities I might otherwise have gone to and I AM getting us a bite out ($7 for two of us!) and we ARE eating an awesome brunch (still with the hot pot!) before this superhero venture into the world.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »
Any thoughts on keeping up healthy habits during grief?

My cat's probably dying. (story in my journal if anyone's dying of curiosity; don't feel like rehashing it here.)

As a result, last night I ate pizza and skipped exercise. Staying on track with eating and exercise is the last thing on my mind right now, but this could drag on for a while (Boyfriend and I disagree on the best course of action) and at some point I'm going to have to find motivation again or else undo all of my progress.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
@Tris Prior Make yourself go for a walk every day, even just around the building. Activity helps emotions. And it will help you maintain the mental habit even if it's a little bit back burner for a while.

I tend to treat this for myself very much like being super ill. So all the food tricks you might have tried during the flu would help here, too. When you do feel like prepping food, prep a whole bunch of veggies so that you can just throw salad ingredients together instead of reaching for food you are wishing to avoid. I even prep all my proteins in containers - so one just with diced chicken, one with taco meat, etc. so that I can literally throw piles of food together with a bit of dressing or salsa.

@jooniFLORisploo I really, really love reading how you adjust your days. The way you describe things helps me see new ways I can better listen to myself.

@fluffmuffin I'll be interested in your gym trial experience. I miss the gym! But it's not in the budget right now so I live vicariously through others :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
I'll try but the windchill is 4°F right now and it's painful to be outside.

And I will try to force myself to cook tonight. We have absolutely nothing made. Do we even have ingredients? Uncertain; I've been so focused on trying to get food into the cat that I think I forgot about food for me. It was too easy to grab a frozen pizza when we were at the grocery store last night picking up chicken baby food (recommended by vet for getting her to eat).

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
Well I ate frozen corn dogs for dinner on Monday just because I waited too long to make food, so after the fact please be gentle on yourself :)  Doing what you need to help your emotional health may not look the same as it would for me, and I feel like you've made real progress in how you think about your choices.

If I'm remembering right your kitty isn't a fan of wet food. It often helps older cats to heat up their food so they can smell it better - their appetite is highly linked to smell. Maybe try heating a very small amount of the baby food then mix it with her kibble?

I had three kitties over 20 in the last few years that all were on hospice essentially for 2.5 years between them. It's never easy.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
I tend to treat this for myself very much like being super ill.

+1. Nutrition and exercise help so much in grieving and in stress, I focus extra on them.

But I also make them easier for myself, like by buying precut veggies. My hot pot that lasted us several days was: garlic, ginger, water, mushrooms, precut mix (baby corn, onions, sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrots), frozen sole fillets, hot sauce, tamari, and sesame oil. Just dumping stuff in and simmering til cooked, very easy.

My near-daily snack is: frozen bananas, cocoa powder, honey, trail mix, butter.

For me, getting groceries is this whole big deal, but once I've done that step, I'm set up for easy food. (I also make groceries easier by ordering online and receiving them in the parking lot.)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
@jooniFLORisploo I really, really love reading how you adjust your days. The way you describe things helps me see new ways I can better listen to myself.

Thanks, katscratch! I'm trying to limit my posting so I'm only every third or fourth member at most. But it helps me to write them out.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
So yesterday I plowed through all the stuff that could be done from home, and today I'm plowing through a long list of things that can be done in one area of town.

I feel like I was extremely rewarded for my efforts yesterday.

1. An item that was difficult to find rung through at one penny! One penny! I wanted to steal it for that price, but made myself be honest and grab a staff person to correct it. She said "...scanning code of practice...that's what you pay!" Hahahahaha! A penny! I also used a gift card my son's been storing forever for another $10 off the load.

2. A fellow I've hoped for several months to have a date with one day was the only other customer in a cafe -in another town!- and one step ahead of me. So that's like a date.

3. Half an hour later I met and hung with another super groovy fellow I had lots of weird things in common with.

4. The lunch out to get us through was $8 with some cool coupons, and big and included three cups of veggies each.

100% worth getting out to the weird places to plow through the lists!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Tris Prior - I think self love and forgiveness are key healthy habits during grief or trauma. Good luck navigating through.

My healthy thingy today was overcoming my anxiety and going to a Pilates class (offered free by the owner). It was my first ever, 90 minutes intermediate level. I might wake up with abs tomorrow

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »

Thanks, katscratch! I'm trying to limit my posting so I'm only every third or fourth member at most. But it helps me to write them out.

It’s wonderful to see your self-care, and to learn from your insight on noticing and respecting your needs.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
I finally made it back to the gym today, after nearly a week out (weekend, then illness, then conflicting schedules).  Wasn't up to running so did another incline walk on the treadmill.  Every bit counts, right?  Burned nearly 550 calories, so not too bad...

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Every bit counts, right?

YES!!!

And even just the getting back at all is a really big deal -can be so hard to do- so way to go, lhamo!!

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
Getting back into the routine is definitely the hard part! I signed up for a yoga workshop over the next 8 weeks to make myself get back into it; I keep missing my favorite Monday classes when I have Mondays off.

Nice work, lhamo!

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:08 PM »
@Tris Prior - One thing that was pointed out to me recently is that when we're doing certain types of exercise (and I think your yoga challenge might fall into this?), we have to think so much about what we're doing that we can't think about anything else (anxiety/sadness/etc.), which can be a temporary relief.  Maybe reframing it like that might help you maintain your momentum?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »
Haha, that's true, when I'm busy cursing Adriene out for making us do stuff that I find incredibly painful, I can't really think about the cat! (Yes, I know cursing during yoga is not zen or in keeping with how we're supposed to be thinking. And yet! ;) )

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
1. Made lhamo's curry today, using oxtail. Implemented four new-to-me experiments, and it turned out great!

2. Walked with kid to Activity #1 (further, hill-inclusive).

3. Despite Activity #2 usually being a walk for us, drove him there so that I could have time at home vs get exhausted waiting out, or feel obligated to get booze or food to be more comfortable out.

4. Picked up four recipe books from library, to inspire new dishes at home.

5. Now assessing each for which I will and won't use (seeking only super simple recipes).

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
Haha, that's true, when I'm busy cursing Adriene out for making us do stuff that I find incredibly painful, I can't really think about the cat! (Yes, I know cursing during yoga is not zen or in keeping with how we're supposed to be thinking. And yet! ;) )

I personally have always cursed yoga, usually just before falling over. But I'm not very coordinated. I'm sorry about the situation. Be gentle with yourself and do what you can. Are there any "healthier" frozen dinners you could keep around for those times when you forget to make something?

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »

I personally have always cursed yoga, usually just before falling over. But I'm not very coordinated. I'm sorry about the situation. Be gentle with yourself and do what you can. Are there any "healthier" frozen dinners you could keep around for those times when you forget to make something?
People doing yoga are thinking about things other than trying not to fart?

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »

We did get some frozen stuff from Trader Joe's. It's mostly gone, because I haven't had brain to cook (and in one case I ate the damn thing because I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it all day at work). My challenge is always saving the frozen stuff for when it's really needed and not just going for it when I'm tired or lazy or crabby.

I actually am not doing too badly on the balance poses, but anything requiring upper body strength, including downward dog which she apparently is a big fan of, starts me cursing. I wish she were a little more understanding of people who have literally NO upper body strength.

People doing yoga are thinking about things other than trying not to fart?

I do yoga at home, and I banish Boyfriend from the room while I'm doing it. The only person who would know if I fart is the cat and she doesn't care. (And Boyfriend is Farty McFarterson so he's got no room to judge either!)

Yesterday I did yoga AND strength training despite wanting to do neither. Win!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
Any thoughts on keeping up healthy habits during grief?

My cat's probably dying. (story in my journal if anyone's dying of curiosity; don't feel like rehashing it here.)

As a result, last night I ate pizza and skipped exercise. Staying on track with eating and exercise is the last thing on my mind right now, but this could drag on for a while (Boyfriend and I disagree on the best course of action) and at some point I'm going to have to find motivation again or else undo all of my progress.

These days I'm visiting family as we spend the last few weeks with my father to say goodbye. We're grieving but also caring for one another. This IMO is the most important health aspect of the grieving process, creating memories in the last time we have together.

To support things from a physical perspective, I'm trying to keep the house as germ-free as possible as his immune system is shot; he's more likely to die of an infection from visitors rather than the cancer. This isn't easy as he's got dozens of people visiting to say goodbye every week.

For me personally, I'm trying to keep spirits up while getting in a small walk every day from a few blocks to few miles. Would be walking a lot more but this bloody American Tundra is perfect for a sinus infection/flu so I'm staying in as much as possible. And enjoying running up and down stairs to do household errands.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »
These days I'm visiting family as we spend the last few weeks with my father to say goodbye.

!!

Oh, expatartist! I'm so glad you can all be with him, though. And that you are managing to do some effective self-care, including honouring your grieving.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
I want to chime in with a slightly different perspective. I was once in this general fitness class through the university health center, and one of the instructors official ly had the job of "health educator" which is kind of half-trainer, half-therapist. She insisted pretty strongly that if your body is already stressed, like from lack of sleep, working out is counterproductive. I believe this applies to other stressors, too; being sick, certainly, and I think I would extend it to grieving as well. Sorry to hear many of you are going through rough times :(

The most physical effort I exert when sick is walking, and maybe gentle yoga if it feels good. And I don't feel bad about a more sedentary approach if what I'm hearing from my body is "I'm tired, rest me." I do feel bad if I let myself faceplant into donuts because that's not really caring for my body at that point >_>

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2018, 07:41:57 PM »
Pushed through the "i don't wanna" at the gym today several times.  Split my run up to give myself milestones to strive for as I knew going into it I wasn't going to make it through a long, extended slog.  Walked .1 miles, then ran .9, walked another .1, then ran another .9, really wanted to quit running at that point, but told myself I could do another little bit and then quit -- so walked .1 and ran .4, then one more .1 walking and a final push to finish up running the last .4 to 3 miles covered total in 34:38.  Now, I usually count my time to run 3 miles (walking breaks don't count), but heck, I kept going and that was enough for today.  Walked off the rest of the hour to 4.35 miles covered total and 478 cal burned.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
@lhamo “If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” -MLK is an inspiration everywhere, even at the gym!

I've definitely used this strategy when the gym wasn't clicking!

But today I...got stuck writing political posts on the internet when I planned to go run. I'll lift and squat dumbells at home and run tomorrow. Whoops.

EDIT: I got home just after bf got home from the gym, and he semi-jokingly poked fun that I "made" him go by saying I was going, and then didn't. So, I did squats and lunges and various arms with my 10 lb dumbbells while he showered and then he convinced me to go get fast-fired pizza (thin crust, with vegetables). I'm already sore, so probably will be *more* sore tomorrow, but I also kind of feel like I kicked those squats' butts. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:45:31 AM by galliver »

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »
*Swam
*Relaxed
*Played with friends and stranger for some hours

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »
This year I have planned to eat more fruits and do exercise. and I also decided to reduce intake of tea.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2018, 04:57:13 AM »
So this continues to prove challenging, however, the last two days I have really limited my snacking on sugary stuff and will continue through today too.  Tomorrow will be a bust because of super bowl type foods but Monday I will be back in the saddle again.  It is the start of a brand new month and I want to make it a heathy one.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
Yesterday had a very cold and frustrating start - I broke my car tire valve when trying to fill it at a gas station, then gave up on changing to the spare tire in the 6am dark when my hands were going numb right away. I took transit to work instead but was missing the super warm outer layer I wear for that so I bought a hot breakfast in the cafeteria.

In the past I would have wanted to "treat" myself and probably would have also bought lunch and snacks and for sure a coffee shop drink, but I stuck to my salad with curry turkey meatballs.

I made the choice last night to stay home and go to bed rather than join friends for our weekly bicycle adventure, even though I really wanted to take indulgent bike selfies in front of Minnesota themed sculptures sprinkled through downtown.

After retrieving my car, I fell asleep immediately after eating late dinner and just woke at 8:45am so it was definitely the right choice for my body.

I've been cutting down on caffeine slowly over the past month but had quite a lot of (weak) break room coffee yesterday. I just made a cup of decaf and am hoping that caffeine addiction missteps aren't as wicked as sugar and bread slipups for me :)

Happy Saturday!

BNgarden

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »
Managing to eat more veg daily through heaps of salad, and today will also start up soup-making again.  Batch roasting veg to serve with eggs for breakfasts too.

First soup up, easy tomato coconut chickpea:
http://www.wholelivinglauren.com/new-blog/2014/9/29/tomato-coconut-chickpea-soup

Salads are these:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/asian-slaw-ginger-peanut-dressing-recipe.html

Another one: wild rice & edamame salad is tossed with 7 grain rice, fresh kale, arugula, edamame beans, fresh vegetables, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds--using lemon olive oil and lemon or rice vinegar for the vinaigrette.

Love that I can keep the salad ingredients undressed in big bowls in the fridge for several days, and just add dressing to individual bowls, marinating for some time before serving...  Also loving big bagged mixed salads for quick options.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »
BNgarden, that soup sounds good! Thanks for links :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
*Worked hard to reduce the sensory inputs (from neighbour) that were jamming me up
*Went out to play even though I sure as heck didn't feel up for it! (Had a GREAT time!!)
*Declined to eat (junk) at Activity #2
*Brainstormed (made written list) of ways I can recharge deeply while parenting 24/7
*Walked in the door and heated up the curried oxtail soup -never been so happy to have food ready!
*Will rest now for 23-44 hours
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:07:33 PM by jooniFLORisploo »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
Spouse brought home ice cream last night. I ate some tonight, not impressed. Dove mint chocolate chip ice cream isn’t very good. You’ve been informed.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »
I'm still working on internalizing the fact that saving money is not more important than my mental and physical health.

Yesterday, I pushed past that inclination and spent a decent amount of money at the grocery store on healthy ingredients for good meal-type salads and some extra stuff (greens, flax seeds) to boost the health content of my breakfast smoothies.

Raising my savings rate from 54% to 55% is NOT worth it if it keeps me from eating the food and doing the things I need to be healthy.  I have to keep reminding myself of it in those terms.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »
I'm still working on internalizing the fact that saving money is not more important than my mental and physical health. [...]
Raising my savings rate from 54% to 55% is NOT worth it if it keeps me from eating the food and doing the things I need to be healthy.

A-freaky-men, SquashingDebt!! Good stuff :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
Realized last night it's been some weeks since I've had a conversation with an adult. Ack! This happens a lot. So I'm going to really focus on trying to get one, and at the quality that's most nourishing to me. This could take up to a week.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
*Completed four major steps toward securing conversation one day
*FINALLY MANAGED TO BOOK A MASSAGE

Receiving touch is extremely helpful to me, and paying is the only way I get it. Booking, though, is difficult because neither the massagers nor I answer our phones, and many places won't accommodate a child in the waiting room. But, I found a new option and I'm in! YAY!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
Ran 4.5 miles outside yesterday - well, ran about 3 and walked the rest, then rode my horse.

Made a weekly meal plan and shopping list today, stuck to the list at the grocery store, then hit the gym for a quick workout - nice and quiet on Superbowl Sunday.  I've been trying to do stretching and myofascial release on my right hip, which is stiffer and bound up, and affecting my riding.  It's now sore and I have to be careful in my workouts, but it seems to be coming around, and my leg position in the saddle is improving.

The weather has been frighteningly warm for February in Idaho, but while we have it, I am trying to increase my running.  I've been walking the dog most nights, but would like to get up to 3 runs per week, or around 12 miles.

Eating is OK.  Last night we went out to eat before going to see Book of Mormon.  Had drinks and gnocchi with braised pork cheeks, ummm... and then a slice of pizza and some delicious toffee.  That will probably be the only dinner out this month, and it was a nice one at a new restaurant in town, so no regrets.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »
*Did super deep resting today
*Went for a light, easy walk
*Chatted with six different people
*Kept a great boundary with a person
*Let lovely people make me a very healthy lunch

Delighted to see we've made it to the end of our Vit D bottle! We're getting so good at actually taking supplements now -the D probably 98% of days this winter, and I think it makes a huge difference.

I sleep and live on the floor so often "kick up" to stand, but now have added a step of rolling into a plank of sorts, incorporating upper body strength exercise into each transition. Fun :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
Mental health care: I was in much better shape mentally when I was volunteering on a political campaign last year (for IL governor). It made me feel like i was doing something concrete to fight the things going on in America that I don't like. Then the candidate dropped out due to inability to raise enough money (most of the other candidates are literally billionaires, and the Dem frontrunner is from the family that's essentially Chicago royalty, like the Kennedys). We all got pretty despondent after that and I didn't want to start working for my second choice because, I guess it felt disloyal? And like settling?

So, I haven't done much volunteer work since. Then, at the Women's March, someone handed me a flyer from a progressive org in the suburbs whose state rep is, I'm sorry, a complete tool. Even if his views agreed with mine, I can't get behind a dude who literally refuses to speak with constituents under any circumstances. Anyway, they were looking for volunteers to send "get out and vote" postcards to registered Democrats in his district who didn't vote in the last election, and you didn't need to live in his district. So I've been doing that. It makes me feel like I am at least doing SOMETHING to help get hateful people out of office, as I cannot personally vote them out (other than the governor, everyone who represents me has the same views as I do).

Have totally fallen off wagon re healthy eating and exercise though. It just doesn't seem that important while the cat's dying. I'd rather sit on the couch and let her sleep on my lap.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
We traveled this weekend to visit family and I ate pretty poorly, though not as badly as I sometimes don't when traveling. Back on track today!

Breakfast: oatmeal with flax, cinnamon, blueberries, and slivered almonds
Snack: trail mix (made with pumpkin seeds, soy nuts, and dried blueberries), half a bell pepper, and whole grain crackers
Lunch: quinoa salad with chickpeas, feta, and bell peppers in a homemade vinaigrette, and an orange
Dinner: ??. Probably pasta with pesto. I found some pasta at Grocery Outlet made only out of beans that is surprisingly good and much more filling than traditional pasta.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:07 PM »
Ran two miles on the treadmill in 21:32 this morning, cutting 10 seconds off my previous best time for that distance.  I probably could have done it faster, but I was originally going to try to do the full 3 mile distance I usually do, but changed my mind 1.5 miles in.  So I only had .5 miles to ramp up the speed from my longer-distance 5.5 mph speed up to 6.5.   

I didn't want to run AT ALL when I first started, so I'll call this another win.  I find I usually feel like it is a horrible slog up until about a mile in...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Have totally fallen off wagon re healthy eating and exercise though. It just doesn't seem that important while the cat's dying. I'd rather sit on the couch and let her sleep on my lap.

I've come to believe that the most important skill in a lot of areas (but health and fitness among them) is getting back on the proverbial horse. Stockpile all the cat snuggles while you can; maybe read a book or do something else quiet and restful that you've been craving while you're at it. Then, when you can, start again on the other goals.

Dinner: ??. Probably pasta with pesto. I found some pasta at Grocery Outlet made only out of beans that is surprisingly good and much more filling than traditional pasta.

We've had that! It's kind of rubbery to my taste, but we like mixing it with regular pasta to add protein and 'stretch' the carby goodness (we do that with veggie noodles, too) :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
*Completed the period of deep rest I'd committed to
*Napped at 10am, lol (started day at 5, and realized I was feeling off by then, this fixed it)
*Cooked my first new dish from new cookbook (DELISH!)
*Chose coconut oil vs butter for it, as I prepare for food experiments
*Let all the rare sunshine and fresh air in YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Skipped the honey in my regular refueling dish
*Went into the world to play
*Made a point of getting to one thing while kid was occupied and to another early, so that I might end up with adult conversations -it worked!
*When I got my kid some food out, I realized I needed none myself
*Despite being overstimulated and pondering a handful of candies to bring me down, I skipped those and reheated some of the delicious lunch instead
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:06:58 PM by jooniFLORisploo »

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
Welcome, allsummerlong :)