Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 92506 times)

okits

• Walrus Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Good job resisting the Pringles, katscratch! You know, you don't HAVE to keep resisting the can. You could just throw it out, or bring it to work and set it out in the breakroom (which is what I do with junk food I don't want in the house as I hate wasting food).

I'd lean towards throwing it out.  Yes, at work, we are all adults and are responsible for what we choose to eat, but I think lots of us can relate to the temptation of "free" and of treats being easily available.  If you have co-workers trying to eat better it would be a kindness to help set them up for success.  (Assuming you like your co-workers.  If they're jerks, bring the Pringles and buy a pound of candy to go alongside it! 😛)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
Guys -- new low time on my 3 mile run today! 32:34 --beat my previous best (from about 10 days ago, I think) by 20 seconds.  If I can keep up that rate of speed increase (roughly 1 minute off per month) I should be able to hit my 30 minute goal by April 1. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
Guys -- new low time on my 3 mile run today! 32:34 --beat my previous best (from about 10 days ago, I think) by 20 seconds.  If I can keep up that rate of speed increase (roughly 1 minute off per month) I should be able to hit my 30 minute goal by April 1.

Woohoo!

Are you thinking of doing a 5K? You are doing the mileage.  Some folks enjoy them, and find them helpful motivation to keep running.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

Nice!  Are you following a particular plan for your run training?

Just don't get discouraged if your progress slows a bit - it can often take longer for incremental gains the faster you get!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
I'd lean towards throwing it out.  Yes, at work, we are all adults and are responsible for what we choose to eat, but I think lots of us can relate to the temptation of "free" and of treats being easily available.  If you have co-workers trying to eat better it would be a kindness to help set them up for success.  (Assuming you like your co-workers.  If they're jerks, bring the Pringles and buy a pound of candy to go alongside it! 😛)

You know, I honestly never thought of it that way. Everyone at my work brings in tons of food, constantly. It's just part of the culture. (Though I can count on 1 hand how many times I have done so.) After Christmas, I went to put a small bag of Hershey's Kisses left over from Xmas cookie baking on the "free" table in the breakroom, at Boyfriend's request, and was astonished to see the PILES and PILES of candy and junk lying there. On one hand I felt guilty for adding to it, but on the other hand my contribution was so comparatively small.

You've got a point. OK, yes, throw it out - and put some used kitty litter (or something equally inedible) on top of it so you're not tempted to dig it out of the trash!

I think I am mostly over my flu! I have a feeling the cough is going to hang around for a while, though. Ugh. Considering some gentle stretchy yoga later (though not going to dive back into the 30 days until I feel like I can sustain it). I'm tired of inactivity.

Boyfriend lost 9 lbs in a week from this flu. Out of curiosity I weighed myself this morning and I lost 1/2 lb since Saturday. I haven't been counting calories while sick but also haven't been that hungry. Mostly, I'm worried about how much fitness I've lost from basically lying in bed and sitting on the couch since Saturday.

RamonaQ, no veg options at lunch is the WORST. That sucks. And you're probably not the only person who would appreciate vegetarian choices, even if others are omnivores and you're the only veg. Maybe worth speaking to whoever is in charge of ordering food for your meetings? (Though, it also sucks when they go out of their way to provide a veg option and it turns out to be terrible. The last time we had a work meeting with food we had these hummus/feta/black olive wraps that were so salty, I couldn't eat it.)

I peeked into the other weight loss threat and I'm glad I'm not really following along any more because there's been some fairly triggering stuff in there. Like feeling euphoria after fasting. Or wearing Spanx to deter oneself from feeling hungry. I don't think I'm going to look at that any more.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Nice!  Are you following a particular plan for your run training?

Just don't get discouraged if your progress slows a bit - it can often take longer for incremental gains the faster you get!

I'm not doing a specific plan this time -- but I have done several runs through the Hal Higdon 5k training plans in the past.  So I'm basically just doing my own haphazard version of that, mixing up steady/slower 3 mile runs, intervals, faster shorter runs (I did 2 miles in just under 22 minutes last week), and runs like today where I just push myself as hard as I can.

So far I have not run any 5ks.  Or run at all outside.  I tried a couple of years ago and didn't enjoy it.  May try again this spring, since we are so close to the trail.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »

Wow! Do you run on That Trail By Your House? Is the trail hilly at that spot? (I think about starting running now and then, but I know I'd have to find a flat route or I'd quit after ten seconds. I used to have a standing appointment in Fremont when I worked in South Lake Union, and I would just walk - it was totally effortless, because it was right next to the lake the whole way so no hills.)

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:25 AM »
I’ve got the vibe today!

Drank plenty of water, took plenty of desk breaks to walk around outside, set up Runkeeper on my phone, did some YouTube yoga and started learning Zumba steps. How do I forget so easily how good exercise is for my mood?

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
I want to join!

I have consciously been doing the following since January started, with only a couple days of really bad 'rebounds':

Walking longer, more often with the dogs.  Even in the negative temps, I find that 5 10ish minute walks really keeps my energy up throughout the day and helps me be focused on good choices rather than vegging and binging.  I attempt to get a total of 1-1 1/2 hours of walking in with the dogs each day...at varying speeds depending on the temps and what they are interested in.

I am trying to make the first two meals of my day vegetarian...vegan if I can find a substitute for milk in my coffee.  A win calorie-wise, expense-wise, health-wise, and environmentally. 

I've been roasting bulk veggies and dividing them into large meal-sized containers that I pair with a piece of fruit for my packed lunches.  These have been filling me up well and I don't miss the meat.

No alcohol since NYE.  Trying to make it a once in a great while thing and not regular.  The lower meat and alcohol consumption has effortlessly lowered our already low grocery bill even more :)

We have had a tub of ice cream in the freezer for 2 WEEKS without touching it.  I told my DH that its for when we have some couples over to the new apartment, and since that hasn't been scheduled yet, we have managed to not eat it...although its been close once or twice.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »

Wow! Do you run on That Trail By Your House? Is the trail hilly at that spot? (I think about starting running now and then, but I know I'd have to find a flat route or I'd quit after ten seconds. I used to have a standing appointment in Fremont when I worked in South Lake Union, and I would just walk - it was totally effortless, because it was right next to the lake the whole way so no hills.)

Trail is flat in my area, runs parallel to the lake shore.  It is just over 3 miles from my place up to where Third Place Books is.  I'm thinking if/when I do try to tackle an outside run I'll reward myself with a treat.  And then maybe take the bus home.....

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Good job resisting the Pringles, katscratch! You know, you don't HAVE to keep resisting the can. You could just throw it out, or bring it to work and set it out in the breakroom (which is what I do with junk food I don't want in the house as I hate wasting food).

It really makes it difficult when two people eat nearly completely the opposite of each other. I WANT to make stuff for my husband that he'll like, but ... that is also not going to contribute to his weight issues. IOW a nearly impossible desire.

Yes, this, exactly! After a ton of therapy I think I've finally internalized that I can't make Boyfriend lose weight and if he chooses to eat himself to death rather than enjoy a long healthy life with me, that is his choice, as much as it sucks. But that doesn't mean I have to personally fix high-calorie junk for him.

It does make me resentful sometimes that there are certain foods I simply cannot have in the house because he will immediately eat all of it. For example, we baked Christmas cookies. I had two cookies out of the batch and stopped - I've found that since I've mostly cut sugar, now I'm satisfied with a small amount of sweets when I do indulge. I told him that I wanted to split the batch 50-50 and that I'd be eating my half slowly. He agreed. They were all gone the next day. :( I got SO mad at him.... so what does he do? Bakes another batch! This is not solving the problem at hand!

I understand that resentful feeling. I've had to work really hard to not feel as though every time I see DH eating say ... an entire rum cake in 48 hours .. or a bowl of mashed potatoes made with 6 - 8 large potatoes and lots of milk and butter ... etc., like it's an indication of him not loving me enough to want to grow old with me. Because that is how it feels sometimes still. He knows he is beyond morbidly obese, and is always talking about knowing that he'll probably die young (he's 52) and that he really needs to "cut back". But then in the next breath he'll wax eloquently about a place he buys beef ribs at in another city (1/2 rack I think is what he gets) or about all the restaurants we can go visit in the next few months. Or he'll tell me about how he ate most of a bad order (work) including 20 pc of chicken, biscuits, and a pizza ...

It would be a whole lot easier for me to get him to see the benefits of my way of eating, if the benefits were visible - i.e. better energy, better sleep, better mood, better healthy overall feeling. But ... other than my sinus issues slightly improving, all of the above are no better than they were a year ago! So ... not a great example for him.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »

You know, I honestly never thought of it that way. Everyone at my work brings in tons of food, constantly. It's just part of the culture. (Though I can count on 1 hand how many times I have done so.) After Christmas, I went to put a small bag of Hershey's Kisses left over from Xmas cookie baking on the "free" table in the breakroom, at Boyfriend's request, and was astonished to see the PILES and PILES of candy and junk lying there. On one hand I felt guilty for adding to it, but on the other hand my contribution was so comparatively small.

You've got a point. OK, yes, throw it out - and put some used kitty litter (or something equally inedible) on top of it so you're not tempted to dig it out of the trash!

I think I am mostly over my flu! I have a feeling the cough is going to hang around for a while, though. Ugh. Considering some gentle stretchy yoga later (though not going to dive back into the 30 days until I feel like I can sustain it). I'm tired of inactivity.

Boyfriend lost 9 lbs in a week from this flu. Out of curiosity I weighed myself this morning and I lost 1/2 lb since Saturday. I haven't been counting calories while sick but also haven't been that hungry. Mostly, I'm worried about how much fitness I've lost from basically lying in bed and sitting on the couch since Saturday.

RamonaQ, no veg options at lunch is the WORST. That sucks. And you're probably not the only person who would appreciate vegetarian choices, even if others are omnivores and you're the only veg. Maybe worth speaking to whoever is in charge of ordering food for your meetings? (Though, it also sucks when they go out of their way to provide a veg option and it turns out to be terrible. The last time we had a work meeting with food we had these hummus/feta/black olive wraps that were so salty, I couldn't eat it.)

I peeked into the other weight loss threat and I'm glad I'm not really following along any more because there's been some fairly triggering stuff in there. Like feeling euphoria after fasting. Or wearing Spanx to deter oneself from feeling hungry. I don't think I'm going to look at that any more.

We have a file cabinet like that at our office where everybody brings in "treats" to share once in a while, or just general junk they want to get rid of ... Most of the time I just try to ignore it (of course it's kind of difficult sometimes since I have to get into that cabinet fairly frequently ...) :)

Trail is flat in my area, runs parallel to the lake shore.  It is just over 3 miles from my place up to where Third Place Books is.  I'm thinking if/when I do try to tackle an outside run I'll reward myself with a treat.  And then maybe take the bus home.....

I am so impressed with your time. Even when I was consciously trying to train for 5ks, I never got below a 41 minute time ... on the treadmill. Outside was more like a 44 minute time.
I want to join!

I have consciously been doing the following since January started, with only a couple days of really bad 'rebounds':

Walking longer, more often with the dogs.  Even in the negative temps, I find that 5 10ish minute walks really keeps my energy up throughout the day and helps me be focused on good choices rather than vegging and binging.  I attempt to get a total of 1-1 1/2 hours of walking in with the dogs each day...at varying speeds depending on the temps and what they are interested in.

I am trying to make the first two meals of my day vegetarian...vegan if I can find a substitute for milk in my coffee.  A win calorie-wise, expense-wise, health-wise, and environmentally. 

I've been roasting bulk veggies and dividing them into large meal-sized containers that I pair with a piece of fruit for my packed lunches.  These have been filling me up well and I don't miss the meat.

No alcohol since NYE.  Trying to make it a once in a great while thing and not regular.  The lower meat and alcohol consumption has effortlessly lowered our already low grocery bill even more :)

We have had a tub of ice cream in the freezer for 2 WEEKS without touching it.  I told my DH that its for when we have some couples over to the new apartment, and since that hasn't been scheduled yet, we have managed to not eat it...although its been close once or twice.

Roasted veggies are SO good and so easy to fill up on. :)

--
I managed to not eat my feelings yesterday. DH and I also had a decent chat which helped ... more discussion is needed though.

I stopped by Dollar Tree last night, and found out that they had loaves of bread - along with the unhealthy varieties, there were several loaves of 7 Sprouted Grains bread!! 15 carbs / 3 grams of fiber. The ingredient list looks pretty good too. For only $1!! (It's Nature's Own brand, but in searching online for it, I saw there is another brand that sells it.)

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
@lhamo  that is amazing! I am in awe of runners and your progress has been consistent. Impressive!

@alewpanda welcome! It sounds like you're off to a really great start and establishing new habits already.

@chasingthegoodlife You definitely found your groove :)

@Lauran75 That's a great find at the dollar store! I wouldn't have expected that.

I still have Pringles :) I am noticing that I'm not craving them now that they are easily accessible. This is interesting to me. It's turned into a conscious choice, over which I have control, rather than a craving I give in to. If that makes sense. It's such a small thing but powerful, because it's all those small choices that I have made mindlessly in the past that brought me here.

Two years ago they wouldn't have made it through the first night, even knowing I'd feel icky afterward. I'm finding the same thing in all areas of my life - spending, especially - that changing my mindset about all these tiny decisions spills over into more mindfulness overall.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I stopped by Dollar Tree last night, and found out that they had loaves of bread - along with the unhealthy varieties, there were several loaves of 7 Sprouted Grains bread!! 15 carbs / 3 grams of fiber. The ingredient list looks pretty good too. For only $1!! (It's Nature's Own brand, but in searching online for it, I saw there is another brand that sells it.)

That is quite a find!  I buy the Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, but that's like $4 a loaf.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
I've been trying to think of choices along the "how will this make me feel later" mindset.  Not like, "Ugh, I have to do X" but "If I do X I'm going to feel so much better for the rest of the day."

So far today I:

- slept an extra hour, which I really needed
- didn't have enough time to do my planned workout, but still ran a mile - I'll often skip a workout if I only have a little bit of time because it doesn't seem "worth it".  But I knew I'd feel better if I did something to get my heart pumping.
- Ate a good breakfast (protein shake, banana, avocado toast)
- Packed a good lunch and dinner for work (veggie sandwich and big salad with goat cheese)
- Moved Facebook into a folder on my phone, so I have to make a little more of an effort to check it.  I was spending a lot of default time on facebook on my phone, just when I had a few minutes here or there, and I was getting super wound up about some drama going on there, so I decided to create a little distance for myself.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
I've been trying to think of choices along the "how will this make me feel later" mindset.  Not like, "Ugh, I have to do X" but "If I do X I'm going to feel so much better for the rest of the day."

So far today I:

- slept an extra hour, which I really needed
- didn't have enough time to do my planned workout, but still ran a mile - I'll often skip a workout if I only have a little bit of time because it doesn't seem "worth it".  But I knew I'd feel better if I did something to get my heart pumping.
- Ate a good breakfast (protein shake, banana, avocado toast)
- Packed a good lunch and dinner for work (veggie sandwich and big salad with goat cheese)
- Moved Facebook into a folder on my phone, so I have to make a little more of an effort to check it.  I was spending a lot of default time on facebook on my phone, just when I had a few minutes here or there, and I was getting super wound up about some drama going on there, so I decided to create a little distance for myself.

I love that bolded part!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

I understand that resentful feeling. I've had to work really hard to not feel as though every time I see DH eating say ... an entire rum cake in 48 hours .. or a bowl of mashed potatoes made with 6 - 8 large potatoes and lots of milk and butter ... etc., like it's an indication of him not loving me enough to want to grow old with me. Because that is how it feels sometimes still. He knows he is beyond morbidly obese, and is always talking about knowing that he'll probably die young (he's 52) and that he really needs to "cut back". But then in the next breath he'll wax eloquently about a place he buys beef ribs at in another city (1/2 rack I think is what he gets) or about all the restaurants we can go visit in the next few months. Or he'll tell me about how he ate most of a bad order (work) including 20 pc of chicken, biscuits, and a pizza ...

Oh, this all sounds so familiar, though it sounds like your DH has even less restraint than Boyfriend. At least Boyfriend has cut way back on how much crap he brings into the house; we haven't had bread or sweets or chips in the house in months, except at Christmas. I miss baking. God, I miss baking. So much. I feel like I could restrain myself from eating the entire thing in one sitting but Christmas showed me that he still cannot.

After the most recent time we went out to eat and he overstuffed himself to the point that he was too sick to perform the, uh, Quality Couple Time activities that he was hoping for later that night, he is somewhat better about stopping when he's full. But apparently, until recently, his workdays were entirely junk food and pop. I think the fact that he dropped 10 lbs so quickly while sick has been motivating for him, though. He was home sick for a week and ate actual food with nutrients - no pop, no fast food, no crap. Amazing how that works. :)

Whenever I try to broach the subject with him, I get "but it's hard!" And you know what I want to say to him, but won't because it would hurt him a lot? "You know what's hard - having to go through multiple surgeries and chemo and wear a colostomy bag and then dying in horrible pain anyway like your mom did!" (His mom probably weighed around 400 lbs and ate horribly her entire life.)

Sigh. I'm probably being unfair. This shit IS hard. I am not sure how long I can keep up the food tracking; right now it's miserable outside and there's not much going on, so I have time to measure and weigh every single goddamned thing that goes into my mouth. My life is so much fuller in spring/summer/fall. Maybe I'll decide that it's OK if I still have some fat on me, since I have a normal BMI and I know at this point all this is just vanity.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
I think you've hit on it. It IS really hard! All those food products have been carefully crafted to trigger all sorts of happy things in our brains. Not to mention that our sense of taste is totally different when we eat differently.

I truly believe that switching from a standard American processed food diet is harder than quitting smoking. For physical reasons (I am of the opinion that refined sugar is addictive and withdrawal feels terrible), for emotional reasons, and for more subtly insidious cultural reasons. You can't smoke in public spaces any more because everyone knows it's unhealthy, but McDonald's is on every freeway exit with a drive through, for example.

In talking to friends and through my own less drastic food changes - I really do think that real foods like salads and soups and grains don't taste good to people who are used to eating boxed dinners and pizzas etc. It takes quite a while for that to switch in our brains. It was hugely eye opening to me to do an elimination diet and realize how different foods tasted to me at the end.

Lately I can tell that I'm eating too much starchy food and not enough veggies when I start craving dressing or sauce on everything - my body's preferred diet is one of ingredients, really, and very little in the way of embellishment is needed because the flavor of the food itself is pleasing. In college eating a salad made without a boatload of ranch dressing would have been bland and unappealing.

I think ALL THE TIME how much easier it would be for me to eat the way my body wants if I would just start projectile vomiting every time I ate junk.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
The Pringles would have been gone in a heartbeat. those thin.crispy.potato.chips (especially salt & vinegar).

I have been eating oatmeal every day this week. And today I got my walking in. My friend is starting to walk the grounds with me again. So maybe things will get back in the grove for me.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »
All you walking people are inspiring me. I need to get back into daily walks; I've been using my dog's reluctance to go more than one block as an excuse.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
I looked at the forecast for the next week and it is going to be mostly above freezing! I can walk outside again! (Yes, I know, MMM says that you should still exercise outdoors if it is 2 degrees out, but I cannot handle cold weather and my lungs don't like it either.)

katscratch, I'm at the point where the food changes aren't super hard for me. There's stuff I miss eating, but I was eating pretty healthy even before I started trying to lose weight. A lot of processed crap now tastes to me like, well, processed crap. It's the homemade desserts and the cheesy homecooked things that I mostly miss. And sandwiches. I'd really like a sandwich.

The part I'm finding so hard right now is that I can't eat anything in the amounts that I want. Except, like, salad and raw veg, and those are unappealing to me when it's bitterly cold out. The measuring cup or food scale, not my stomach and my own sense of hunger or fullness, dictates how much I get to eat now. That sucks and feels wrong and punitive to me, and honestly I am uncertain of how long I'll be able to keep that up before I throw in the towel and decide to just listen to my body again.

I feel like I'm recovered from flu enough to try going back to the 30 days of Yoga again. Next up for me is Day 13..... uh oh. Strengthening. "Today's session packs a lot of punch." Hmmmmm. Dunno about this.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »
The part I'm finding so hard right now is that I can't eat anything in the amounts that I want. Except, like, salad and raw veg, and those are unappealing to me when it's bitterly cold out. The measuring cup or food scale, not my stomach and my own sense of hunger or fullness, dictates how much I get to eat now. That sucks and feels wrong and punitive to me, and honestly I am uncertain of how long I'll be able to keep that up before I throw in the towel and decide to just listen to my body again.

Does soup do it for you at all? Cooked veg? Cabbage can be a great hot food in winter time, dressed up with lime juice and spices. I'm also not a salad person in the winter time. Our bodies crave warming foods this time of year.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
I would never have chosen to do a strict elimination diet on my own, but being that restrictive with my food and portions ended up being worth the frustration in the end because I learned what my body does want for nourishment rather than what I want for all the other reasons we eat tasty food.

There is a balance between restricting yourself in pursuit of learning more about how food affects you and the far end of ending up resentful of the whole process. I love that you're able to identify how you're feeling about this right now.

Yay for warmer temperatures and walking! My dog lasted a good five minutes at a time yesterday instead of running straight back into the house :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »

Does soup do it for you at all? Cooked veg? Cabbage can be a great hot food in winter time, dressed up with lime juice and spices. I'm also not a salad person in the winter time. Our bodies crave warming foods this time of year.

I have to be careful with soup - I'm drinking so much water and herbal tea that any further fluid ingestion means yet more trips to the ladies' (or doing the peepee dance on public transport!). I do like it, though. I am not much for cooked veg on their own. I like veggies but I usually toss them into a recipe rather than eating them plain. (And the recipe probably has beans in it. That's been one of my shockers, how many calories and carbs are in beans which is my main protein source.

The other day I did take an entire container of mushrooms, sautť them in a little olive oil with some crushed garlic, and ate the entire thing for dinner. That was really good.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
Walked the dogs on a local trail this morning.  It requires a morning when I don't have to head straight to work because its a longer, more vigorous walk. 

Wiped the dogs feet when we came in.  Shortly after moving in to the apartment, one of my dogs caught a fungal infection in her nail beds (extremely painful and we are still in recovery/med regime/no appetite/nauseous  stage).  This in turn has been very emotional and stressful on me.  She is the 'nibbler'...aka, she will nibble on anything remotely food or poop like, so its more likely she caught it that way than in a certain patch of soil since the other dog doesn't have it.  However, I'm trying to get into this healthy habit for all of our sakes, because I don't want to go through this process again :(

Had a yogurt, granola, and raspberry parfait this morning at home.  Delicious! 

Side note: Anyone know anything about a mixture for cleaning paws that would be dog-safe and kept in a spray bottle?  It would be far simpler to keep a basket with rags and the spray bottle in the entrance than having to run to the sink, dig around for a rag, etc. 

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
You guys, that Day 13 yoga was so difficult! I cannot do those stupid hip dips. Well, I can do like 1 on each side and that is it. I cannot do multiple sets of multiple reps of them. Why doesn't she give an alternative or modification for something that she has to know is hard? I just held plank, when I couldn't do any more.

I had to laugh when she was having us do that oblique abs thing and said, "2 more!" "OK, now, 2 MORE! What feelings does that bring up?" I said to the TV, "F U, that's what 'feelings' that brings up!!" I think I am still struggling with the mental/zen aspects of yoga, hahaha. ;)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »

In the spirit in which I started this thread, I would suggest you throw it away today.   Measuring food and obsessively counting calories may be a strategy that works for some, but in your case it seems to be counterproductive.  Definitely not good for the MENTAL health side of things, which is crucial as well.

You are moving less than is typical right now due to the cold, so the fact that you are not losing weight is not surprising.  You already identified at least one of the factors (more alcohol consumption) that probably contributed to your weight gain last summer.  You are NOT morbidly obese.  Why are you being so hard on yourself with this?   I usually count any winter season when I don't put on 5 lbs to be a success.   It is REALLY hard for me to lose in winter, due to weather/lack of sunlight and the carb cravings it induces.  So every time I get on that scale and it hasn't edged up over 165 again I am ecstatic!  Yes, the weight is an important metric, but I am trying to focus more on other things like how I killed it on the rowing machine yesterday in spite of the fact that I almost didn't go to the gym at all.   If I can do THAT week after week at age 49, I'd say I'm doing pretty good on the health front even if my BMI is still a bit too high.

So, can we agree that on this thread, at least, we are going to focus on the POSITIVES as much as possible and not beating ourselves up about not fitting some arbitrary ideal?  How did you move your body today?  How did that feel? What fantastic healthy recipe did you try and what did you like about it?  I don't want to be a thread fascist, but the whole reason I started this separate thread as opposed to the weight loss one is that I was finding the direction the conversation was taking there was NOT helping my mental health.  I'd like for this thread to be a safer space for those of us who are triggered by certain restrictive/obsessive approaches to diet and fitness. 

Thanks and I hope this redirect is helpful.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
@alewpanda For my dog I use unscented baby wipes in the summer, and then add a few squirts of his shampoo and some water to the container in the winter. If you happen to look up recipes online there are a lot of variations that aren't optimal for dogs. For instance I avoid essential oils for my pets because they absorb them through the skin more than we do (cats in particular- even used as aromatherapy they can be problematic).

@lhamo Your post is a good reminder for me :)

@Tris Prior I'm super impressed you got right back on the 30DOY wagon! I've been watching them when I'm doing something else and then looking up modifications before I try the video. This is not as time-friendly though and probably is why I'm on Day 3 ;) I really like the woman who does the Down Dog app, her YouTube videos of different poses go into exactly how you should feel when you're properly aligned and she offers a lot of modification ideas.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
After another cold snap, we are on Day 3 of decent (for the Midwest) winter weather. The dogs are enjoy8ng their walks, and so am I. Itís nice to get outside and enjoy the fresh air, sunshine (or clouds), and just moving.

Iíve noticed for the last couple of weeks that the birds are much more active again.

I hope everyone can get outside today and just take a deep breath.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:40 AM »
lhamo, you are right, and I apologize for word-vomiting my insecurities all over this thread. I will try to keep the conversation positive going forward.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
lhamo, you are right, and I apologize for word-vomiting my insecurities all over this thread. I will try to keep the conversation positive going forward.

Insecurities and patterns are well-rooted in most of us and it's good to be able to identify them to understand how best to create change. That said I am totally on board with us reframing our thoughts about our own journeys to fit the badasses that we are.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:01 PM »
@Tris Prior  I'm not much of a salad person myself, although I have eaten a lot more salads in the last year ... Cooked/roasted veggies are probably my favorite way to eat vegetables. Another way I get them in is including them in my smoothie. I wonder if a tumeric latte would cover the taste of blended spinach/carrots? (so it'd be in something warm)   I use an app called the Daily Dozen - the idea is that you eat at least what the app calls for, and then if you are still hungry, supplement with lots of greens and veggies (if you are focused on losing weight.) I don't weigh anything, although I do rough measures of some things. Veggies and greens I just eat as much of as I possibly can. :) 

Last night DH and I ate at IHOP. He'd been jonesing for their all you can eat pancakes deal. Thursdays are the day I decided to make my *relaxed* day (i.e. not worry about salt, sugar, processed foods, etc.) I had been thinking of getting my favorite dish - French Toast, or the veggie stuffed omelette. But as I was looking through the menu I noticed all the veggie sides they had. So ... I decided to ask for something off menu. :) They can only say no, right?

I ended up getting a sort of stirfy of spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers and red onions. It was DELICIOUS. I also had a side of pepper and potato hash. Also very good. I felt much better about those choices than what I'd been thinking about getting. DH ate the first stack of pancakes, but wasn't really enthused about them because he accidentally put old fashioned syrup on them instead of butter pecan. He recognized that he wasn't really that hungry anymore and that if he ate another full stack he'd be sick. So he stopped! I was SO happy.

I'm going to try to recreate the veggie dish at home (sans oil) because if I can get it to taste as good at home, then I will be eating a whole lot like that! :) I really want to up my intake of greens and veggies. Fruit is so easy to eat .... whereas with veggies I sometimes have to *really* plan for it.

Today when I get off work I need to get my car washed (hasn't been washed since before our first snow/ice storm) and am going to try to get in a walk before dark. (We have temps in the 40's/low 50's today!! Tomorrow is supposed to be decent again, then back to Sunday/Monday snow/ice yuck.)

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
I usually count any winter season when I don't put on 5 lbs to be a success.   It is REALLY hard for me to lose in winter, due to weather/lack of sunlight and the carb cravings it induces.  So every time I get on that scale and it hasn't edged up over 165 again I am ecstatic! 

I appreciate you mentioning this.  Cold weather does make it hard to go outside (I ran far more errands, all on foot, in spring/autumn when it wasn't uncomfortable to walk a few km).  Cold and flu season can make it hard to do anything.  If progress/not backsliding is hard to come by in the cold months I will remember to have realistic expectations.

It was an indulgent week for eating (social alcohol, food coping).  Only one kid is semi-sick, which is an improvement, I'm getting over my cold, and my period seems to be ending.  Other than the delicious almond croissant from the nearby supermarket, today will be a nutritious-eating day.  Hopefully I can get back on the bandwagon.  The first few days without sugar are brutal, though.

For positives, I have done so much cooking at home!  This week I've made ribolitta (Italian bread soup), whole wheat mac and cheese and broccoli (kids' favourite, so trying to make it healthier), and a crock pot beef stew, and there's still the weekend to go!  When we were DINKs we went to a sit down restaurant 2-3x a week.  I have to think this is healthier. 

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
Victory today - it was an especially stressful and emotional morning at work, in what has been a stressful week, month, and several years at this company.  Then, I went to the doctor for a medical problem that isn't dangerous/life-threatening, but is still stressful and inconvenient and a little scary not knowing how to resolve it.  I really really wanted to stop and get some kind of comfort food to eat for lunch, but was able to identify the urge for what it was (an unhealthy coping mechanism) and instead came home, ate my leftovers for lunch, and watched a favorite tv show to distract myself.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
Another good day exercise wise -- did NOT want to go to the gym, but went anyway, and upped my speed on my interval run to 6.0-6.5.   Covered 3 miles in 35:01 -- not my best time but considering my period started today I'll take it!   

On the food front, we hit a new to us coffee shop after and had quiche/frittatta slices with our coffee for a light lunch.  I made enameled pot bibimbap (thanks @englishteacheralex for the recipe) for dinner - heavy on the beef, eggs and veggies and fairly light on the rice, so I'll call it a win healthwise.  I am enjoying my wine, though -- hey, it's Friday!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
I'm back on the True 30 Days of Yoga wagon. Neither of the practices since I've restarted have been awful. More stretch-y, less stuff I find really painful. So that's been a good way of easing back into it. My abs are still KILLING me from the cough that's lingering around from this stupid flu, though.

Last night Boyfriend and I had a proper date for the first time this calendar year! (First week of January = highs in the single digits so we hibernated except for necessary trips to and from work. Second week of January = he had flu. Third week of January = I had flu.) We went out to dinner and walked there and back as the weather was pretty mild for this time of year. 40 minutes each way. And it looks like it's going to be warm enough for outdoor walks for the next week!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Another good day exercise wise -- did NOT want to go to the gym, but went anyway, and upped my speed on my interval run to 6.0-6.5.   Covered 3 miles in 35:01 -- not my best time but considering my period started today I'll take it!   

On the food front, we hit a new to us coffee shop after and had quiche/frittatta slices with our coffee for a light lunch.  I made enameled pot bibimbap (thanks @englishteacheralex for the recipe) for dinner - heavy on the beef, eggs and veggies and fairly light on the rice, so I'll call it a win healthwise.  I am enjoying my wine, though -- hey, it's Friday!

Awesome job lhamo. May I suggest something before you try running outside? Treadmill running is a tech different but I found that setting the incline to 2-3% (start at 1% and work your way up gradually) helped with making the outside runs more enjoyable.

We just got back from vacation where we totally didn't focus on food. It was so nice but now I have to go back to solitary meal planning and preparation. Ugh! I have a 7k trail race with lots of hills scheduled for Saturday but if the forecasted 40 degrees F and pouring rain is correct, I might just skip. It sounds super miserable.

DH talked our local natural grocers into stocking Jersey cow milk on the assumption that it would be tolerable for me. One glass that tasted super has me coughing. I feel guilty about not buying it after he made arrangements but I'm concerned it won't work for me and will make my asthma worse again.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
Has anyone successfully beaten a Coke addiction? (Yes, with a capital C. :) ) Not for me, for Boyfriend. He wants to quit pop so badly but is struggling so much and I feel like he really has tried everything. I think pop is disgusting so I'm of no help; it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Today he emptied out his wallet of cash so he physically cannot use the vending machine, so I'm hoping that works. The vending machine at his office takes credit cards (!) but he says he won't do that because he's had his card compromised so many times over the past year. So, we'll see.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
Beating Coke addiction: BF likely needs to develop a sense of why he wants it at the time
- thirsty
- wants energy (sugar, caffeine)
- bored
- social
- taste

And then come up with a strategy for each.  Usually drinking water is a good general alternative for all of these.

FYI - Diet Coke is really no better, lots of data coming out regarding weight, insulin levels, etc.. He might like some of the carbonated waters (La Croix, etc.).  If it is caffeine he craves, then coffee or tea may satisfy his craving.  If he craves sugar, maybe fruit juice or whole fruit.

Mostly he needs to decide he's going to stop.

Why does he want to stop?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:36:46 AM by G-dog »

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
He says he wants to stop. He says he drinks tons of water but at some point he just can't resist the Coke.

The issue appears to be boredom. His job is often very slow, with nothing to do. He is not permitted to go on the Internet for any reason; they're closely monitored and it's a fireable offense. He's tried asking for more work but there rarely is any; his company is pretty hierarchical and they care a lot about people not stepping on each other's toes. And it's not the kind of job where there are long-range projects that can fill his time, or professional development, or anything like that. So he spends a lot of time literally sitting there and trying to look busy. At some point, he can't stand the boredom any more, cracks, and heads for the vending machine. He says he does not crave pop at all when at home or on weekends, though once in a while he'll have a rum and Coke if we're out.

In my opinion the solution is a new job, but he's been looking for a couple years now with no success. And, well, that's a separate issue.

He doesn't like coffee or tea, or diet pop (I wouldn't suggest that either - yuck, all of those chemicals. I used to drink SO much diet Coke and now I'm totally appalled by how much artificial sweetener I was consuming). The only thing that worked for any length of time was subbing orange juice, but he kept forgetting to bring it to work. Now that I've got him bringing lunch to work most days instead of also eating lunch out of the vending machine, that might work better, he can just stick a water bottle filled with OJ in there.

I do think not having cash on him will help. That helped me break my habit of raiding the vending machine for potato chips when I first started working here. I literally couldn't buy any, and I wasn't so desperate that I'd leave work and go find an ATM, so I just stopped eating it. Hopefully it'll be the same for him.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
Fixed my autocorrect typo (that was weird).

Why does he want to give up Coke?
- cost
- general health reason
- weight
- other specific health reason

That will be motivation and may point to substitutes / alternative behavior.  For example, OJ has as many calories.

Is he usually required to be at his desk? If not, a quick walk around in the building or area may help.

Could he start documenting processes or creating SOPs? The company may appreciate that, and it may make his life easier, and may help get to a promotion or more projects.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »

- cost
- general health reason
- weight

That will be motivation and may point to substitutes / alternative behavior.  For example, OJ has as many calories.

Is he usually required to be at his desk? If not, a quick walk around in the building or area may help.

Could he start documenting processes or creating SOPs? The company may appreciate that, and it may make his life easier, and may help get to a promotion or more projects.

He wants to give up Coke to a) lose weight, b) not get diabetes like his parents (he has a needle phobia). And yeah, you're right, OJ also has calories and is full of sugar. So that's not really a solution, other than, OJ isn't also full of food coloring and chemicals and HFCS. Hmmm.

I think there's also an aspect of, he knows he's addicted, feels out of control, and doesn't like that.

Yes, he is required to be at his desk. If people spend too long in the bathroom, they get paged to please return to their desk! And he only gets 1/2 hour for lunch; he tries to get outside for a walk when the weather's not too bad but he has to cram in eating during that time too.

I will ask him about the documenting/SOPs. That's a thing we do at my work during downtime. His job is already pretty regulated so I suspect those things already exist. But, worth a try.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »

- cost
- general health reason
- weight

He wants to give up Coke to a) lose weight, b) not get diabetes like his parents (he has a needle phobia). And yeah, you're right, OJ also has calories and is full of sugar. So that's not really a solution, other than, OJ isn't also full of food coloring and chemicals and HFCS. Hmmm.

I think there's also an aspect of, he knows he's addicted, feels out of control, and doesn't like that.

Yes, he is required to be at his desk. If people spend too long in the bathroom, they get paged to please return to their desk! And he only gets 1/2 hour for lunch; he tries to get outside for a walk when the weather's not too bad but he has to cram in eating during that time too.

I will ask him about the documenting/SOPs. That's a thing we do at my work during downtime. His job is already pretty regulated so I suspect those things already exist. But, worth a try.

If the documents exist - he could still read them, identify gaps / changes, and bring that to the attention of his boss (optionally an edited version that they could accept).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
You guys are very inspiring with all your exercising!!!

I get a walk in almost every day (an hour at a brisk pace).  But I think I need something for the upper body.  I keep falling off the yoga wagon (I don't know why - I enjoy it once I get into it but find I don't want to get started on it each day).
What do you guys do for upper body exercise?

Re: junk food.  I bought a bag of those veggie straws (supposed to be mostly veggies with a little bit of potato).  They might be healthier?  I'm not sure.  But they are freaking addictive!!! 
But I also bought the kale and quinoa salad so maybe the healthy outweighed the unhealthy?  I hope.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
My accomplishment of the day: bringing miso soup to work

Coke addiction: When I was in a similar situation, I found that packing juice boxes (OJ, iced tea, fun flavours) helped, and little cans/bottle of perrier are good too. The other helpful thing was breaking the habit for just at that job for then.  But I'm currently re-addicted to diet coke so (little hands up emoji)

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
@Tris Prior Can he have an electric kettle or something like that? Would he like tea? Maybe even cold steeped tea (if no electric kettle)?  Or a bottle of flavored sparkling water?

I had a Cherry/Vanilla Coke/Pepsi habit up til October of 2016. Then I quit cold turkey. Not even a small sip of my DHs soda when out at restaurants (that seemed to always be my slippery slope when quitting before.) I've replaced that addiction with flavored sparkling water and tea. :) I am now working on getting away from the sparkling water ...

Healthy choices -
Managed to get out and walk on Saturday, but not on Sunday (dreary, blustery, rainy day ...) Made a couple trayfuls of roasted veggies which should last multiple meals this week. Also bought a bunch of bags of frozen veggies from Dollar Tree - easy microwavable meal. All this in the effort to add lots more veggies to my intake (rather than fruits being the predominant source ... bananas, apples, dates, dried pineapple, raisins ... yum!)

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
I'll chime in about sparkling water - it helped me kick a Diet Coke habit and I usually want it for the same reason - a little bored at work and want a distraction.  I usually have 3-5 different flavors at my desk at work at all times. I just bring the 12-packs straight in, but maybe he could bring in 2-3 different flavors along with his lunch each day?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
Coke is a combo of sugar, fizz and caffeine.  Removing one of those at a time is the easiest, IMO.  Maybe he could go to Sprite or something for a few weeks, then sparkling water or Crystal Lite, then water?  I know you said he doesn't like tea, but maybe an herbal tea, or something made with a sofa stream?

Doing well here.  Indulged in beer and cake on Friday, and bread and pancakes this weekend, but within reason.  Ran on Saturday, rode and did barn work on Sunday,  and did a short gym workout today, then walked the dog while dinner was in the oven.  Have a solid meal plan for the week and will be staying active every day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »

Side note: Anyone know anything about a mixture for cleaning paws that would be dog-safe and kept in a spray bottle?  It would be far simpler to keep a basket with rags and the spray bottle in the entrance than having to run to the sink, dig around for a rag, etc.

Maybe diluted raw Apple cider vinegar?  We use it on horses feet tomprevent thrush, but it's possible that dogs might really detest the smell.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2018, 01:41:23 AM »
I want to join but I'm feeling self conscious having been called out for one or more of my statements in the weight loss thread... I do apologize for the feelings they clearly evoked. I come from a place of moderation almost always, but should try to consider other perspectives. I do admit I am counting calories, because that works for me right now, but that isn't all I'm doing and I won't bring that here.

I am also remaining very gentle, flexible, and nonpunitive in urging myself to exercise more (my hard-ish limit is once a week, and that's actually for mental health--I have also found it keeps anxiety and overwhelmed-ness at bay...). Also, I am (/we are) exploring other ways of cooking/eating since bf was told to limit or cut meat, fat, salt, and booze (esp beer) last August. I didn't used to like beans but that isn't an option anymore! (In return, bf has come around to mushrooms and sweet potato recently. That, or got kidnapped by aliens...) We have no intention of becoming full vegetarians yet, but definitely vegan-curious.

@Tris Prior, a peace offering...

In my experience it's more fun to have "boring" drinks through a straw...I am not good at drinking water and I had 8 cups today this way. It's not true for everyone, but it is for many...could this help your boyfriend transition to better drinks? Also (as a stepping stone and not the final desired result) iced tea or lemonade made at home, even with added sugar, needs half as much sugar to taste good (and you're in control so you can taper off, if/as desired). Just 2 more ideas to throw at him and see what sticks (hopefully something!)