Author Topic: Healthy Choices in 2018  (Read 4742 times)

okits

• Walrus Stache
Re: Healthy Choices in 2018
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
Other lines that can work: "I'm not interested in talking about that" or "Dang, it's 2018, can a woman have a body in peace?" or, my personal favorite for when a group of women are playing the I'm-so-gross/No-I'M-so-gross game: "Girls, girls, don't fight! You're both revolting!"

"You're both revolting!" literally made me snort with laughter.  I may have to start using that.

:)

When my BFF (who is skinny) starts complaining about how fat she is around me (an actual fat person) I also threaten to eat her :D

Ha ha ha, I super like this!

I walked 4km today, which is good.  I will do the same tomorrow.

I made and ate this.  http://rasamalaysia.com/honey-sesame-chicken/2/  Not so healthy but my DH was happy and impressed so I'm counting it as good marriage maintenance.  ;)

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
That recipe looks SO good! Making it at home has got to be 1000 times better than in a restaurant, even if you're frying. YUM
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
Day 9 of no sugar. Had a bit of a fail at my morning smoothie (it tasted aweful and got dumped down the sink). I was running behind so I ended up grabbing egg white bites from Starbucks. . The super cheesy bacon croissant calorie bomb from Starbucks was calling my name but the egg white bites were warm and filling and Iím so happy I picked them.

Did another slow mile today with a friend during a break at work. Doctor said I could start walking this week (tomorrow is 3 weeks post surgery) so Iím happy to get some movement in. Iím grateful to have lovely coworkers who are willing to shuffle around outside with me. :)

And my coworkers donít seem to body shame. We do talk about healthy recipes and doing more activities... not dieting though. Itís the first place Iíve worked where those negative comments are absent. :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Right, this is why I can't hold on to healthy habits for any length of time. I get busy and start feeling overwhelmed and the spinning plates start falling. I am really struggling right now, you guys.

On the agenda for this evening, when I get home from work probably around 6:30:
- disinfect kitchen (and entire damn apartment) against Boyfriend's flu, AGAIN
- fix food for Flu Boyfriend and get him anything else he needs
- cook and eat something healthy that fits in my calorie limit (cook what? Do I even have ingredients in the house? Argh. Well, maybe add "meal plan and grocery shop" to this list). Pack lunch for next day.
- do the 30 days of Yoga Challenge workout
- do strength training workout (this takes place on Sundays and Wednesdays, I have a remote personal trainer who gives me painful exercises to do and then I log them in an app he gave me for accountability)
- deal with the massive pile of laundry that is piling up
-  work on jewelry business. I try to do 1 TV episode's worth of work per night so that it doesn't pile up and I'm not behind for when I have to vend at a show. For the past week, except yesterday when I forced myself to, I haven't had time to do both this and exercise, and I've been choosing to exercise. I feel very guilty about this, because my business has been doing really crappy because I haven't been giving it the attention it needs for a while now. Was too busy counting calories and being starving all the time.
- if I get a package in the mail that I'm expecting, I have a WAY overdue jewelry custom order that I really need to get made ASAP before the customer starts asking for a refund.

Notice that no downtime is included on that list. No talking with Boyfriend, no spending time with the cat, no just.... decompressing? I'm exhausted just making this list.

I'm usually spent and ready to go to sleep by 11. I'm sleeping extra poorly these days because the bed is a giant biohazard right now and Boyfriend spends all night coughing and feverishly flailing, so I'm on the couch which isn't that comfortable and gets a lot of street noise.

Can I get all of that done in 4 1/2 hours? I don't want to skip yoga because the point is to do 30 days in a row without missing any - and for all I know I'm going to get Boyfriend's flu and end up not being able to exercise and packing on weight anyway. I'd push the strength training until tomorrow night but there's a political event I really want to go to, I'm going to be home late, and I STILL have to cram yoga/food prep/Boyfriend care in after the event so I'm just kicking the can down the road to a night I'll be even busier.

And, shit, even if I find something to cook tonight I still have to get a grocery run in before it gets back into single digit temps (Friday? Saturday?) because we don't have a car so grocery shopping is done on foot. And I'll have to do it by myself due to Flu Boyfriend. ARGH!

If I catch his flu - which all my co-workers have assured me there is no way I can escape - then we are FUCT.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
Right, this is why I can't hold on to healthy habits for any length of time. I get busy and start feeling overwhelmed and the spinning plates start falling. I am really struggling right now, you guys.

On the agenda for this evening, when I get home from work probably around 6:30:
- disinfect kitchen (and entire damn apartment) against Boyfriend's flu, AGAIN
- fix food for Flu Boyfriend and get him anything else he needs
- cook and eat something healthy that fits in my calorie limit (cook what? Do I even have ingredients in the house? Argh. Well, maybe add "meal plan and grocery shop" to this list). Pack lunch for next day.
- do the 30 days of Yoga Challenge workout
- do strength training workout (this takes place on Sundays and Wednesdays, I have a remote personal trainer who gives me painful exercises to do and then I log them in an app he gave me for accountability)
- deal with the massive pile of laundry that is piling up
-  work on jewelry business. I try to do 1 TV episode's worth of work per night so that it doesn't pile up and I'm not behind for when I have to vend at a show. For the past week, except yesterday when I forced myself to, I haven't had time to do both this and exercise, and I've been choosing to exercise. I feel very guilty about this, because my business has been doing really crappy because I haven't been giving it the attention it needs for a while now. Was too busy counting calories and being starving all the time.
- if I get a package in the mail that I'm expecting, I have a WAY overdue jewelry custom order that I really need to get made ASAP before the customer starts asking for a refund.

Notice that no downtime is included on that list. No talking with Boyfriend, no spending time with the cat, no just.... decompressing? I'm exhausted just making this list.

I'm usually spent and ready to go to sleep by 11. I'm sleeping extra poorly these days because the bed is a giant biohazard right now and Boyfriend spends all night coughing and feverishly flailing, so I'm on the couch which isn't that comfortable and gets a lot of street noise.

Can I get all of that done in 4 1/2 hours? I don't want to skip yoga because the point is to do 30 days in a row without missing any - and for all I know I'm going to get Boyfriend's flu and end up not being able to exercise and packing on weight anyway. I'd push the strength training until tomorrow night but there's a political event I really want to go to, I'm going to be home late, and I STILL have to cram yoga/food prep/Boyfriend care in after the event so I'm just kicking the can down the road to a night I'll be even busier.

And, shit, even if I find something to cook tonight I still have to get a grocery run in before it gets back into single digit temps (Friday? Saturday?) because we don't have a car so grocery shopping is done on foot. And I'll have to do it by myself due to Flu Boyfriend. ARGH!

If I catch his flu - which all my co-workers have assured me there is no way I can escape - then we are FUCT.
Just do your best with what you can handle.  I would suggest soup for both you and Fluboy.  Hot and sour spicy soup with lots of ginger - it will be good for both of you.  It can simmer while you do your yoga.  I am not sure how effective you can be making your apartment a bio hazard free zone. After raising two frequently snotty kids I just gave up to admit the truth and focused instead on just keeping myself as healthy as I can.  Working up a sweat and raising your core temperature will kill off some bugs, keeping hydrated and well rested and reducing stress.  Getting outside and seeing nature and also getting your body furnace chugging along will also help.  Just keep hand washing going and make sure the food prep surface is clean.  Take care and breath. 
Seeing the possibilities

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
@Tris Prior  Do your grocery stores have hot deli sections? Soup, side dishes, etc? Mine has a lot of veggie sides and really great thick winter soups - on your grocery run today I'd pick up something that is comfort food that still falls in your bounds, with enough for leftovers for your lunch, to at least take that plate out of rotation.

I am not partnered so when there is illness in my house it's sadly up to me to keep feeding myself - I'd imagine you're in the same boat but harder because it's up to you to feed both of you even though you also are exhausted.

On the flip side of that coin: How ill is your Boyfriend currently? Is he past the fever achy point enough that he can heat himself up canned soup while you are gone? Can he force himself to start one load of laundry?

I totally get how miserable it feels to have to accomplish things when you are ill with a fever. What would he do if you didn't live together? Hopefully he's turning the corner of this soon; I can imagine he's pretty weak for as long as he's been ill.

I think yoga is a must today - the way you've mentioned it in this thread, keeping the streak going is important to your overall accomplishment.

"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »
  Hot and sour spicy soup with lots of ginger - it will be good for both of you.  It can simmer while you do your yoga. 

That sounds great. Boyfriend would never eat it in a million years. We eat completely differently and the only things I cook that he likes are terrible for you (and full of dairy, which he shouldn't have while this congested).

I think we've got some canned soup in the pantry still, though, that he can have.

I am not sure how effective you can be making your apartment a bio hazard free zone. After raising two frequently snotty kids I just gave up to admit the truth and focused instead on just keeping myself as healthy as I can.  Working up a sweat and raising your core temperature will kill off some bugs, keeping hydrated and well rested and reducing stress.  Getting outside and seeing nature and also getting your body furnace chugging along will also help.  Just keep hand washing going and make sure the food prep surface is clean.  Take care and breath. 

I've been literally following him around with a can of Lysol, spraying down anything he touched before I touch it. Constantly hand-washing and/or hand-sanitizing. It's probably futile.

It's pouring down rain so outside is not going to happen today, not that I have time anyway. At least it's not snow.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
@Tris Prior  Do your grocery stores have hot deli sections? Soup, side dishes, etc? Mine has a lot of veggie sides and really great thick winter soups - on your grocery run today I'd pick up something that is comfort food that still falls in your bounds, with enough for leftovers for your lunch, to at least take that plate out of rotation.

Yes, Whole Paycheck is literally right down the street. Not mustachian, but it would save time.

On the flip side of that coin: How ill is your Boyfriend currently? Is he past the fever achy point enough that he can heat himself up canned soup while you are gone? Can he force himself to start one load of laundry?

He can probably manage heating up soup. He said this morning his aches were better and his fever is lower but not gone, and now he's got a bad sore throat. Laundry, no. We have to go outside and down a flight of spiral stairs to get to the laundry room; carrying laundry down the stairs is probably beyond him even though it is at least finally above freezing outside.

If Boyfriend lived alone, the house would be full of crap snack food that comes in a package and he would be subsisting on that rather than needing to cook. I'm not kidding, when we first started dating a normal dinner for him was pop-tarts and Pringles.

I think yoga is a must today - the way you've mentioned it in this thread, keeping the streak going is important to your overall accomplishment.

I agree. Honestly, I'd like to skip the strength training but it only takes 15 minutes and I don't want to have to explain to my trainer that I literally could not find 15 minutes to do it. That sounds like a whiny excuse.

More realistically, the laundry should probably wait. I'm not out of underwear yet, haha. It's just totally taking over the bedroom and I feel like a damn slob.

This is the piece about healthy choices that I'm always missing. How do you make time for healthy choices and still get life stuff done? I don't even have kids!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
@Tris Prior - I wholeheartedly support buying pre-made or frozen food, or getting delivery. This is survival mode.

Yes, not the cheapest option, maybe not healthiest - but with all the things prioritize your time and energy.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
@Tris Prior - I wholeheartedly support buying pre-made or frozen food, or getting delivery. This is survival mode.

Yes, not the cheapest option, maybe not healthiest - but with all the things prioritize your time and energy.

Yeah, it's just.... I haven't let go of calorie counting yet, and am having a hard time doing so.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »

Yeah, it's just.... I haven't let go of calorie counting yet, and am having a hard time doing so.

I just use a Google to east image calories. Depending on what you get, it doesn't have to be unhealthy. I just mean it may not be as optimal as what you would make at home. If you get a frozen dinner/dish - calories and nutrition are on the package.

I am counting calories - it makes me more mindful of my eating. But there are times I just have to do the best I can on an estimate. It's OK.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
This is the piece about healthy choices that I'm always missing. How do you make time for healthy choices and still get life stuff done? I don't even have kids!

You don't let being perfect be the enemy of the better, or good-enough, or not-even-good-but-just-enough. Pick the things that really matter, and let the rest go for a few days.

Go to Whole Paycheck and grab some food that works for both of you. If your boyfriend was living on Pringles and Pop Tarts before you started dating, one night of Campbell's chicken noodle (or whatever) isn't going to kill him. One trip to Whole Foods to buy specific items is probably not going to torpedo your FIRE date. (When life is more manageable, consider batch-cooking soups and sticking them in the freezer to avoid this in the future.) And one meal of not-perfectly-calorie-calibrated-but-otherwise-healthy food is not going to torpedo your health, either.

Follow @Frugal Lizard's suggestion for calming down on the Lysol.

Do your yoga session, since it seems to really matter to you. Do the 15 minute exercise sequence immediately afterwards, if that feels right.

Do 30 minutes of jewelry stuff IF your necessary package has arrived. Otherwise, decompress.

Ignore the laundry until Friday or the weekend. Commit to spending, IDK, three hours Saturday morning on jewelry. Block it on your calendar and alert the people that you care about that you will be unavailable.

In conclusion, you can't do everything all of the time, or you'll be burned out and miserable. You have to just pick the things that matter the most to you, and let the rest go for a day or two until sanity has reasserted itself...or you're going to get burned out and just say FUCK IT ALL (ask me how I know).

I promise that it will be okay. Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with the gentleness and care that you would want for your sister or best friend.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
(crossposting with fluffmuffin - I agree x 100000)

I log my food every few months for a couple of weeks, and if I'm trying to change my diet I do it more consistently. The metrics help me gauge whether what I think I'm eating matches what I'm actually eating. Do what works for you :)

I don't think spending extra at the deli is anti-Mustachian - I think optimizing your resources is :)  In this case, you are short on time and energy so going a little long on money isn't a bad thing. Maybe the Whole Foods deli has calorie info? I know a lot of their stores have Nom Nom Paleo dishes in the hot deli right now.

Oh I think I remember you talking about your eating differences earlier. Pringles are my weakness! I managed to pick up a prescription at Walgreens on Monday without buying a can. It was harder than I thought it would be.

Yikes yes no laundry for Boyfriend! Laundry piling up wears on my mental calm but it's always the first thing to go by the wayside when I'm busy with other things. And I only have to take it to my basement!

Whatever you do accomplish today -- even two things -- just remind yourself it's an accomplishment. You're juggling a ton right now with low batteries.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
(crossposting with fluffmuffin - I agree x 100000)

I log my food every few months for a couple of weeks, and if I'm trying to change my diet I do it more consistently. The metrics help me gauge whether what I think I'm eating matches what I'm actually eating. Do what works for you :)

I have been logging daily and slowly upping my limit. Because I don't understand what my body wants right now, so I'm trying to figure out how many calories I can eat without gaining weight quickly as I did this summer. I'm terrified of that happening again.

Yikes yes no laundry for Boyfriend! Laundry piling up wears on my mental calm but it's always the first thing to go by the wayside when I'm busy with other things. And I only have to take it to my basement!

Whatever you do accomplish today -- even two things -- just remind yourself it's an accomplishment. You're juggling a ton right now with low batteries.

I might have to put the laundry somewhere other than the bedroom until I can deal with it, because looking at it is stressing me out. Out of sight out of mind, yes?

Thanks, everyone, for listening. It's been a rough morning and I didn't want to melt down all over Facebook about this, so I'm grateful for this space to talk about this stuff.

ToTheMoon

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
With the laundry - is it really all dirty, or have you just been tossing things into the pile because you are too tired to deal with it?  Maybe taking 5 minutes to sort through and hang things that could reasonably be worn again will make you feel better about the number of loads that ACTUALLY need tending to?  YMMV, but I know that is exactly what I tend to do when I'm getting to the end of my rope.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
With the laundry - is it really all dirty, or have you just been tossing things into the pile because you are too tired to deal with it?  Maybe taking 5 minutes to sort through and hang things that could reasonably be worn again will make you feel better about the number of loads that ACTUALLY need tending to?  YMMV, but I know that is exactly what I tend to do when I'm getting to the end of my rope.

Unfortunately, all filthy. At the risk of TMI: I am a big sweat-er. I cannot wear things more than once, regardless of what products I use. Also, I own only 4 warm sweaters and they're all dirty and smelly and it's going to get cold again soon.

Pile also contains blankets the cat threw up hairballs on, and everything I wore to a cat cafe on Sunday. There was this cute little kitten walking and climbing all over me. Then I realized I smelled poop. Yep, it was ALLLLL over his little paw and therefore all over my clothing. I meant to get to that Monday but then arrived home from work to discover Flu Boyfriend, at which point everything went to shit.

And now I have a situation involving the mail carrier refusing to deliver packages that I urgently need for that custom jewelry order which is already late, so I've got to cram in a visit to the PO to yell at someone. I've been calling literally all day but no one picks up. I lied - one time someone picked up and slammed the phone right down. Anyway, this is getting way off topic for this thread so I'll stop here.

Uh, to bring it back on topic: tips on how to reduce stress that do not involve money, food, alcohol, being outside (too cold and rainy) or taking a hot bath because our bathtub doesn't work? (The first person who suggests "herbal tea" gets shot. I am consuming multiple cups of it nightly and it's doing nada. :) )

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
At the risk of getting shot for this stress-reducer suggestion:
Meditation / deep breathing
Music
A puzzle (something else to focus on)
Some self-care item - a face mask, do your nails, deep moisturize

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
At the risk of getting shot for this stress-reducer suggestion:
Meditation / deep breathing
Music
A puzzle (something else to focus on)
Some self-care item - a face mask, do your nails, deep moisturize

Love all of these suggestions.
 I definitely am a fan of micro-meditations (5 minutes at a time--enough to ground yourself down but not long enough to convince yourself you don't have time for it)
Insight Timer is a good (free)app for beginners, but you can also just enjoy the quiet.

Tara Brach has talks on her website (she is a meditation teacher & psychologist). I find her voice calming so I will put on a talk even when I am doing tasks like dishes..

I also enjoy carefully drawing something beautiful (and small)..like one flower. If I do it from real-life or a photo, it forces me to focus on the lines and that focus helps my mind gets a bit of a break from its normal story-lines.

Hope things settle!

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
On another note..I have had some good success with healthy-choice making this week.

It feels like when I start my day right--it goes from there..

Today was a day off and without any rush I have read, meditated, done a home yoga class (yoga with Adrienne..day 4), worked on a painting, went skiing (I live in a mountain town) and am cooking up chickpeas to make hummus.  It sounds busier than it was..

I have plans to see a friend this evening for some cross-country skiing and might even squeeze a nap in.

Wishing you all moments of ease in your day!

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
Today I moved my body by: 30 minute walk to work in the morning, 15 minute bike ride home, relaxed 3 mike run with the pup. My quads are feeling the HIIT class from yesterday!! Hello there muscles. Barre class tomorrow.

There was pizza in the break room this afternoon. I have no self control when thereís pizza in the break room. I ate enough to feel a little overly full and bloated afterwards. Every time I tell myself
Iím not going to eat as much pizza...every time I end up eating All The Pizza. Whatever, YOLO, everything else I ate yesterday/today/tomorrow (barring a repeat pizza incident) is healthy and full of plants and whole food nutrition. It all balances out.

Really wanted a beer tonight. Had a sip of the BFís but did not get one of my own.

expatartist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:10 PM »
On another note..I have had some good success with healthy-choice making this week.

It feels like when I start my day right--it goes from there..

Dang, Serendip, what a fantastic day you created! And skiing twice? Inspirational.

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Hey Tris Prior, I personally find exercise to be the best stress reliever. You could throw a load of sweaters in the wash, do your work out, then hang/dry the sweaters to dry overnight. That adds maybe 5 minutes to your night. Itís 3 days to the weekend... you can get there! Good luck avoiding the plague!

Personally I made it thru day ten of no sugar. Absolutely no exercise, I felt awful after yesterdayís full day of work then attending a Scouts meeting. Needed more time resting! So I ate ok (met my fiber and protein goals) and worked from home in my PJs.

I also pre-planned tomorrowís meals and made sure everything is nutritionally dense. I eat so much better when I plan the day before.

ToTheMoon

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
I had an ah-ha moment for myself today:  packing myself a daily lunch (while I am making up the kids lunches)  results in me making much better food choices throughout the day.  First thing in the morning I am not too tired or busy yet, so prepping/packing healthy items is easy.  Having pre cut fruit, homemade "energy balls" and already portioned out yogurt (plain with a dash of maple syrup, and some frozen fruit to keep it cold and make it yummy) along with a turkey/cheese/spinach sandwich - I was able to snack immediately when hungry, and didn't get to the hangry stage where I grab anything quick and easy, healthy be damned.  I am going to try this on my non-work days to see if it helps.  Also, I have had NO chocolate or candy today! (That should not be impressive - but it is.)

I did my day 6 of Yoga with Adriene this morning, and attempted a short xc ski this afternoon - but my body is still angry with me from Monday, so I cut it short.

Need to light a couple of beeswax candles and do my meditation this evening.  I missed it the last two days, and if I don't get to it tonight I may not start up again anytime soon!  I'm up to the 15 minute ones using the Aware app, and am really enjoying it.

. . .
Unfortunately, all filthy. . . .

Dang.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
Haha, no shooting needed! The reason I said that about herbal tea is that, since I've been dieting, when I'm dying for food and my stomach's growling but I'm over my calorie limit for the day, that's what I have. I feel like I am drowning in herbal tea. I never want to see herbal tea again. And that's always what everyone recommends for stress relief/self-care.

I'm bad at meditation, and I can't draw, but the drawing suggestion reminded me that I have coloring books. I should haul those out again. The trick is convincing myself that I have time to do it, and shutting off the "You should be _____ instead right now!" voice in my head.

So, last night ended up being somewhat of a mixed bag. Boyfriend had a craving for spicy Thai takeout since he's so congested so he had ordered some for himself and some avocado and cucumber sushi for me. Which isn't terribly unhealthy other than the white rice, I guess. I ended up having a total meltdown over the stupid missing package. Which then showed up in a second delivery at 7 p.m. Which turned out to contain something other than what I had ordered; the seller screwed up and sent the wrong finish. At which point I lost my shit. Then found my shit, ate, did yoga, worked on jewelry for one episode of TV as was the plan. My trainer said the app he uses to send me the workouts was down. Usually he then emails me a list of what he wants me to do; I just can't enter in times/reps. But he didn't. And I decided not to poke the bear and just skipped the strength training. I feel really guilty about this - I never have stuck with an exercise program for any length of time. Like, never in my life. And I've been doing the strength training consistently since probably mid-November, which has been a long streak for me.

I know a lot of my stress right now is due to lack of sleep. Am sleeping on the couch, poorly, because the bed is a giant hot zone right now and Boyfriend is up coughing all night so I wouldn't sleep there anyway. I don't like to take sleep aids during the week because they leave me groggy in the morning but if this continues I may do that this weekend. I need sleep!

I read the Yoga with Adriene email for today and it says this workout will be "challenging." Yikes. Except for the couple that have been really stretchy and quiet, I've found them all challenging already! I hope I can manage it.

TotheMoon - I pack my lunch every night, pretty much as soon as I get home from work and dump my dirty tupperwares and mason jars in the dishwasher. I make a week's worth of overnight oats at a time so I throw one of those and a tupperware of whatever's on hand and a piece of fruit in my lunch bag - bam, done. Having it done ahead really helps me.

I've been reading a lot about intuitive eating lately. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

It's 50 out and raining and going to plunge back into the single digits this weekend. I really should try and get a walk in at lunch despite the rain. It felt like spring out there this morning.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
So ... my days without refined sugar has gone to pot.

My healthy choice is to go back to what I was doing the first part of 2017 which wasn't too stressful on me or DH, and actually worked for losing weight. i.e. 6 days a week I was careful in what I ate - no eggs/dairy/limited processed foods/no meat lots of veggies/fruits/legumes/nuts/water. Then one day a week I let myself have a little bit of what I ddin't the other 6 days ... chocolate, pizza w/hubby, other processed type foods (veggie samoa from Dollar Tree.)

I pretty much lost it last night after work - was getting in my car and had the door slam on my fingers. Broke down crying for ten minutes. Just so blasted tired, emotional, feeling like crap. And that's with eating so damn healthy. Not losing weight, stagnating ever since I went strict in April. Having escalating conflict with hubby over the food issues - so stupid to get into arguments/hurt feelings over food! I was just done with it.

So be it if I remain at the size I am now, or heaven forbid have to go back up a size in jeans. I'd rather be happy than thinner at this point. (Part of what is going on is that my hormones I think are out of whack. Had a period 2x in a month. Up til this month I had a pretty stable 27 - 30 day cycle. 1st round came out of the blue, totally unexpected. 2nd round was awful. Awful. Thank goodness for my Diva cup ...)

I just got into a pair of size 14 jeans a few months ago. But a pair of size 16 would just be $4 from Goodwill, and still a lot smaller size than what I wore last January!

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
@Lauran75 - it's so frustrating that weight loss is not linear, isn't it? I am (foolishly?) not just tracking calories, but calories deficit based on basal metabolic rate, from which I calculate predicted weight loss. Yeah, I am not on track.

But weight loss isn't linear - so it stagnates, goes up and down, and then whoosh, suddenly one day it moves (sometimes a bunch).

Eat healthy, work on fitness, and enjoy your life (I know, easier said than done).

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »

My healthy choice is to go back to what I was doing the first part of 2017 which wasn't too stressful on me or DH, and actually worked for losing weight. i.e. 6 days a week I was careful in what I ate - no eggs/dairy/limited processed foods/no meat lots of veggies/fruits/legumes/nuts/water. Then one day a week I let myself have a little bit of what I ddin't the other 6 days ... chocolate, pizza w/hubby, other processed type foods (veggie samoa from Dollar Tree.)

I pretty much lost it last night after work - was getting in my car and had the door slam on my fingers. Broke down crying for ten minutes. Just so blasted tired, emotional, feeling like crap. And that's with eating so damn healthy. Not losing weight, stagnating ever since I went strict in April. Having escalating conflict with hubby over the food issues - so stupid to get into arguments/hurt feelings over food! I was just done with it.

So be it if I remain at the size I am now, or heaven forbid have to go back up a size in jeans. I'd rather be happy than thinner at this point. (Part of what is going on is that my hormones I think are out of whack. Had a period 2x in a month. Up til this month I had a pretty stable 27 - 30 day cycle. 1st round came out of the blue, totally unexpected. 2nd round was awful. Awful. Thank goodness for my Diva cup ...)

I just got into a pair of size 14 jeans a few months ago. But a pair of size 16 would just be $4 from Goodwill, and still a lot smaller size than what I wore last January!

You are not alone.  I did good for 4 days and then went off the deep end.  Unfortunately emotional eating just makes this twice as hard to stay the course.  However, it is clear I have to come up with a plan that works for me.  I was trying no sugar during the week and reasonable on the weekends but I think I need to rethink my plan a bit.  This is going to be a journey.

I did buy some pants last year but they donít fit like I want them to so I have to give my self some leeway to do some shopping.  I am tired of feeling yucky in my clothes.  So like you, I am just going to say it is what it is and do the best I can going forward.  I am sick of the mental stress I cause myself when I fail each day. I am not giving up but I think I need to do this a bit more slower than I wanted too. 

It is not worth not being happy.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2018, 12:29:56 AM »
@Tris Prior - how about watching a funny movie or seeing friends, as self-care or restorative activities?

@Lauran75 - commiseration.  My cycles have been messed up and yesterday and today were wine days so I didn't stab some poor random person because I was SO GRUMPY (the kids are sick and cranky, so I'm tired from handling the overnight wake ups).  And of course they cough right in my face.

No need to be perfect with the food, maybe aim for 80% of the time?  Definitely don't be miserable over this.  It sounds like you lost a lot last year, so if this is your new normal for a while, that's okay, too.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
Lauran75, I know just how this feels. It is so frustrating to feel like you're working so hard to do everything right, and then you don't see results. (And your diet sounds even more restrictive than mine; that must be really hard.) It's exhausting to always have to think about food; I find that eating really healthy requires so much more planning. If I'm already stressed (as I am now), then I get overwhelmed really quickly and little things make me burst into tears. I was running an errand at lunch yesterday and walked past Panera and I wanted SO badly to faceplant into a sandwich I could hardly stand it. I had to force myself to walk away and white-knuckled it back to the office where I sat at my desk and ate another damn serving of healthy vegan lentil chili.

And, we have fights over food in our household too so I completely get that.

I'm really wondering whether hitting my goal weight (I am 2 lbs away so really at this point it's just vanity and the satisfaction of seeing the number on the scale) is worth it if I'm going to be exhausted and worn down by having to monitor every damn bite that goes into my mouth. I'm really thinking hard about whether this is how I want to live the rest of my life. This all started because I got weighed at the doctor (before that I did not own a scale though I do now) and was shocked at the number, and I was having trouble zipping up my jeans. But really, like you say, is it THAT big a deal to go up 1 size in pants? If the alternative is spending all my time figuring out food and forcing myself to exercise?

This blog that someone recommended upthread is really helping me think about these issues in what I feel is a more sane way: https://www.thereallife-rd.com/ I devoured a lot of posts last night and am going to come back to some later. The ones about being frustrated with oneself because one feels hungry especially resonated - I have this belief that rational brain should be able to keep my lazy slothful gluttonous body in check at all times and should ignore hunger because hunger = eating = weight gain, but that's fighting our biology and as it turns out, that doesn't work.

okits, I know seeing friends would help, but everyone's either sick with the flu, or doesn't want to hang out because Boyfriend is sick with the flu and they assume I'm carrying it and will infect them even though I feel fine. Though to be fair, I read that you're contagious 4-5 days before symptoms so they could be right, I could be Typhoid Mary right now and not know it. I did realize yesterday that I've got a couple weeks left on a free trial of Amazon Prime before I need to cancel it, and it comes with streaming, so this weekend I think we're going to check that out and see what's available and take advantage of that before I cancel. Goal is to find something funny, not depressing! This is harder than one would expect as we don't really like sitcoms or rom-coms, our tastes run more toward sci fi/fantasy which can be violent.

Who else on the Yoga with Adriene Challenge team found the Day 10 practice really freaking difficult? Pretty sure one isn't supposed to be muttering profanity while doing yoga, but there I was. My forearms are killing me today. I blew off strength training after that, told my trainer I'd do it tonight instead. I feel pretty guilty about that but I just didn't have any more energy. Apparently tonight's yoga is supposed to be slower and stretchier. Looking forward to that.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
@Lauran75 - it's so frustrating that weight loss is not linear, isn't it? I am (foolishly?) not just tracking calories, but calories deficit based on basal metabolic rate, from which I calculate predicted weight loss. Yeah, I am not on track.

But weight loss isn't linear - so it stagnates, goes up and down, and then whoosh, suddenly one day it moves (sometimes a bunch).

Eat healthy, work on fitness, and enjoy your life (I know, easier said than done).

Thanks @G-dog

I know weight loss isn't linear ... that's what I've been telling myself ever since April when I've seesawed between the same 6lb range no matter what I do or don't do .. Just so frustrating.

You are not alone.  I did good for 4 days and then went off the deep end.  Unfortunately emotional eating just makes this twice as hard to stay the course.  However, it is clear I have to come up with a plan that works for me.  I was trying no sugar during the week and reasonable on the weekends but I think I need to rethink my plan a bit.  This is going to be a journey.

I did buy some pants last year but they donít fit like I want them to so I have to give my self some leeway to do some shopping.  I am tired of feeling yucky in my clothes.  So like you, I am just going to say it is what it is and do the best I can going forward.  I am sick of the mental stress I cause myself when I fail each day. I am not giving up but I think I need to do this a bit more slower than I wanted too. 

It is not worth not being happy.

Yeah, emotional eating sure doesn't help. At least I haven't resorted back to my soda habit ... I tried something called the No-S diet a number of years ago - no sweets, snacks or seconds except for days that begin with S (Saturday and Sunday.) I did okay with that ... except for going overboard on the sweets, and then derailing from there.

Taking the slower approach is a good idea. Does it really matter if it takes a year to lose ten pounds? At least you've lost something, which is better than if you did nothing or worse .. (This is what I keep trying to remind myself of when I get frustrated about the weight not going where I want it to go ...)

@Lauran75 - commiseration.  My cycles have been messed up and yesterday and today were wine days so I didn't stab some poor random person because I was SO GRUMPY (the kids are sick and cranky, so I'm tired from handling the overnight wake ups).  And of course they cough right in my face.

No need to be perfect with the food, maybe aim for 80% of the time?  Definitely don't be miserable over this.  It sounds like you lost a lot last year, so if this is your new normal for a while, that's okay, too.

Thanks. I lost about 10% of my starting weight between January and April last year, and then BAM.

I hear you on being so grumpy you want to stab someone ... I work in customer service ... on the phone mostly. Let's just say it's a good thing I can't reach through the phone line to slap some people ...

Thankfully I managed to get a decent night's sleep Wednesday, so yesterday wasn't so horrible. Sleep helps.

DH was happy to have Little Ceasar's for dinner last night. I had my first piece of pizza since April ... and yeah, it was okay but definitely not something to salivate over.

I really really need to get back into my exercise routine. I was regularly walking 45 - 60 minutes most days of the week outside after work or on the weekends even longer. Then daylight got shorter, and I got sick, then little by little I stopped even going out on the weekends.

This weekend is a 3 day weekend. Hopefully I am finally over this cold and whatever hormonal junk and will GET OUT OF THE HOUSE and walk! Walking / exercise does nothing to help me sleep better or lose weight, but it definitely does lift my spirits when I walk outside.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
Lauran75, I know just how this feels. It is so frustrating to feel like you're working so hard to do everything right, and then you don't see results. (And your diet sounds even more restrictive than mine; that must be really hard.) It's exhausting to always have to think about food; I find that eating really healthy requires so much more planning. If I'm already stressed (as I am now), then I get overwhelmed really quickly and little things make me burst into tears. I was running an errand at lunch yesterday and walked past Panera and I wanted SO badly to faceplant into a sandwich I could hardly stand it. I had to force myself to walk away and white-knuckled it back to the office where I sat at my desk and ate another damn serving of healthy vegan lentil chili.

And, we have fights over food in our household too so I completely get that.

I'm really wondering whether hitting my goal weight (I am 2 lbs away so really at this point it's just vanity and the satisfaction of seeing the number on the scale) is worth it if I'm going to be exhausted and worn down by having to monitor every damn bite that goes into my mouth. I'm really thinking hard about whether this is how I want to live the rest of my life. This all started because I got weighed at the doctor (before that I did not own a scale though I do now) and was shocked at the number, and I was having trouble zipping up my jeans. But really, like you say, is it THAT big a deal to go up 1 size in pants? If the alternative is spending all my time figuring out food and forcing myself to exercise?

This blog that someone recommended upthread is really helping me think about these issues in what I feel is a more sane way: https://www.thereallife-rd.com/ I devoured a lot of posts last night and am going to come back to some later. The ones about being frustrated with oneself because one feels hungry especially resonated - I have this belief that rational brain should be able to keep my lazy slothful gluttonous body in check at all times and should ignore hunger because hunger = eating = weight gain, but that's fighting our biology and as it turns out, that doesn't work.

okits, I know seeing friends would help, but everyone's either sick with the flu, or doesn't want to hang out because Boyfriend is sick with the flu and they assume I'm carrying it and will infect them even though I feel fine. Though to be fair, I read that you're contagious 4-5 days before symptoms so they could be right, I could be Typhoid Mary right now and not know it. I did realize yesterday that I've got a couple weeks left on a free trial of Amazon Prime before I need to cancel it, and it comes with streaming, so this weekend I think we're going to check that out and see what's available and take advantage of that before I cancel. Goal is to find something funny, not depressing! This is harder than one would expect as we don't really like sitcoms or rom-coms, our tastes run more toward sci fi/fantasy which can be violent.

Who else on the Yoga with Adriene Challenge team found the Day 10 practice really freaking difficult? Pretty sure one isn't supposed to be muttering profanity while doing yoga, but there I was. My forearms are killing me today. I blew off strength training after that, told my trainer I'd do it tonight instead. I feel pretty guilty about that but I just didn't have any more energy. Apparently tonight's yoga is supposed to be slower and stretchier. Looking forward to that.

I was vegetarian before I started doing the whole foods plant based thing and already wasn't drinking milk too (sinuses and the toots) so it wasn't a HUGE step down for me. For DH though, my not eating cheese or eggs anymore reduced what we could eat together, and no matter how many spices I use, he laments the lack of salt and oil in the dishes I make. Since April, I think he's only liked TWO things I've made. We only eat together twice a week - he's responsible for Thursday's and I'm responsible for Sundays. So it would be way worse if we ate together every night. (He works nights as a pizza delivery driver ... can you say -surrounded by unhealthy food choices ...)

It sounds like maybe you are due for a break? Maybe loosen the parameters for  a little while and then go back if you want to.

Is it any good to obsess about what you're eating, if you're not feeling healthy? (My same question to myself!)

I will have to take a look at the blog you mentioned.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
Sending good vibes to @Lauran75 and @Tris Prior. I hope that things get easier for you both. Robyn (the real life RD) is wonderful and her blog has been a huge source of comfort and strength to me for a few years now, so Tris, I'm glad that you're finding it helpful so far :) http://immaeatthat.com/ is another good one, from another registered dietician.

I had freezer pizza last night. Not great for physical health, but it was what my mental health needed. I foolishly did not take my gym schedule into account while meal planning this week and scheduled lentil soup for Wednesday. Got home from working out at 6:45 already hangry, and could not wait like an hour to prep food, let lentils cook, etc. We follow the Frugalwoods norm of having at least one pizza in the freezer at all times, so I granted the BF permission to pop the emergency pizza in the oven while I was showering. It was 100% the right choice, even after my pizza overdose on Tuesday.

Getting back into non-running strength-based exercise has been fine, aside from the fact that my quads are KILLING me. I'd been a member at a schmancy boutique fitness studio for a few years and let my contract lapse in August, since it was just too expensive and I needed a mental break. I've been doing Youtube stuff erratically since then (Yoga with Adrienne + Pop Pilates, mostly), but I just...suck at doing anything other than running on my own, even though I have some chronic hip issues that flare up if I don't do regular core/glute work. My studio was having a really good one-month deal for January, so I got myself another month as a Christmas present. It's been great to get back to the studio. I miss it a lot, and I wish that there was a way for me to make the numbers work for after January, but they just...don't. (Working there isn't really an option either: my schedule doesn't line up with what they want from their front desk people, and I don't think I'd be a good instructor.)

So I'm not sure what I'm doing in February. Maybe joining Gold's for ~$30/month, maybe just bouncing around studios doing intro months. IDK. I'd like to get into something more regular, which indicates Gold's, but I'm really picky about the quality of my group fitness classes, which indicates sticking with focused studios. I've been flip-flopping since August with no resolution. Ugh.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
I'm not gonna talk about my weight or eating choices -- it was DD's birthday this week, so we have a Costco chocolate cake in the house, and I'm probably ovulating.  Enough said.   

But I DID go to the gym every day the last four days.  And pushed myself even though I didn't feel like it most of the time.  Go me.
Wherever you go, there you are

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
I'm not gonna talk about my weight or eating choices -- it was DD's birthday this week, so we have a Costco chocolate cake in the house, and I'm probably ovulating.  Enough said.   

But I DID go to the gym every day the last four days.  And pushed myself even though I didn't feel like it most of the time.  Go me.

Way to go lhamo!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »
Nice job, lhamo!

I was vegetarian before I started doing the whole foods plant based thing and already wasn't drinking milk too (sinuses and the toots) so it wasn't a HUGE step down for me. For DH though, my not eating cheese or eggs anymore reduced what we could eat together, and no matter how many spices I use, he laments the lack of salt and oil in the dishes I make.

I'm sorry. I can relate; Boyfriend doesn't like what I cook if it has "too many vegetables" in it. Or if it's "weird." I gave him a taste of the green curry sauce I made for my tofu curry last night - didn't even make him have the tofu! - because I thought it might be good on chicken, and he pronounced it "weird." WTF, dude, you eat Thai takeout all the time and that's got the same stuff in it! Though probably way more salt and I don't cook with salt. Sigh.

It really sucks that he and I don't eat the same meals. I'm not sure why it bugs me so much, but it does. I guess because it's a lack of shared experience?

I'm vegetarian too but I haven't been able to quit dairy and eggs. I don't drink milk but I cook with it, and eggs are quick protein for me.

It sounds like maybe you are due for a break? Maybe loosen the parameters for  a little while and then go back if you want to.

Is it any good to obsess about what you're eating, if you're not feeling healthy? (My same question to myself!)

I will have to take a look at the blog you mentioned.

These are all good questions. This stuff can make you insane. I thought I'd done well this week. I had some homemade thin crust pizza (little cheese and full of veg on my half) a couple days ago, and I had a glass of wine last night, those were  the only non-clean things I ate and I did a good job of staying within my calories. While taking care of Boyfriend and keeping my shit together at work, I might add! This morning's weekly weigh in: Up 4 ounces geez, I'm a dumbass, no, not 4 ounces, 4/10 of a pound. UGH. I know that's not much, but after a week spent working really hard to follow my plan (when the week was already super stressful due to Boyfriend being so ill), that's discouraging. My period's due in a couple days so I hope it's just that.

But, you know, part of me thinks keeping such close tabs on the scale is stupid and destructive. Then I remember how quickly I packed on weight this summer without even really noticing, since in summer I wear flowy stretchy things and not skinny jeans, and since I didn't even own a scale so didn't know until my clothes didn't fit.

Meanwhile, Boyfriend lost 10 lbs. (!) this week on the Flu Diet. Not that I recommend that, but wow, this really highlights the differences between male and female bodies (not to mention the difference between trying to lose when you're close to your goal and when you're obese, as he is). I mean, that's the old joke, right, a man skips one meal and drops 10 lbs? Though he skipped a lot of meals because he didn't feel like eating. Poor guy.

fluffmuffin, I checked out that other blog too. Good stuff though the motherhood stuff doesn't apply to me. I am going to take some time to read and digest it.

I can't believe I'm asking a frugality board this but: she offers an online course about overcoming disordered eating thoughts. Has anyone ever done something like this? I don't have it in front of me right now but I think it cost $300-something? I just paid for plane tickets to London so I'm otherwise reining in spending right now, but I wonder if it'd be totally stupid and wasteful to invest in something like that. (I should note that I am in therapy but while my therapist has been good about helping me with the issues that put me in therapy in the first place, she has no experience with disordered eating and said as much. Some things she said in response to me telling her I was struggling with this have been a little tone deaf, I think, like "maybe consider Weight Watchers? I hear a lot of people have success with that." No, dude, that's not really the issue here! Also, she's morbidly obese so I feel like an asshole telling her "I feel fat." At any rate, she's not the person to help me with this stuff.)

I should probably just focus on what's written on the blogs before I shell out a whole lot of money for.... I'm not even sure what, honestly. More blog posts and videos, it looks like? And post more here. I'm pretty much off the "Losing Weight" thread, I think. The post about being "skinny fat" kind of got to me. Ugh.

I was entirely out of cope last night so I blew off the strength training. Will try and do it today. My daily yoga streak continues, though!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:18:17 AM by Tris Prior »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Hi, everyone.  @lhamo, good for you on starting a thread with the right approach for yourself.   Obviously it's a hit for others too!

Not sure I should be allowed in this thread for long, because I am on one of the other health threads and lack the intuitive gifts to know what's in them that's not OK here.  So, if I offend, please let me know ASAP, and please accept my apology in advance.  :)

The healthy choice I am making in 2018 is to cook more.  This will hopefully lessen my Achilles heel, the sugar habit, at least somewhat.  "Cook more" implies learning how to cook things that are more complicated than opening a can of beans.

Accomplishments so far: 
1. Learned to cook chicken stew, did it twice. 
2. Have a pot of formerly dry beans simmering as I write.

Congratulations to all on putting yourself forward and building a supportive new corner of the forum.

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Just a quick note to say good morning and good work to all of you.
Sometimes just noting our patterns and emotions is the right work for the day, and we all seem to be on that page!

Hi Bicycle_B, you are definitely welcome here :)

And Tris Prior, weight is indeed a hard one. For some people it is helpful to monitor, for others destructive. I hope you can find some affordable options for now...but in the future, perhaps a course like the one you mentioned would be helpful?

I took one last year called 'a course in the ritual of self-care'...which was an online 9 week exploration into our relationships with food, bodies, the sacred earth. It was run by a holistic nutritionist named Kori Leigh and I received some great takeaways. One of the big ones was the idea of 'is your food made of ingredients, or IS your food ingredients'..the idea that whole foods & recognizable words on an ingredient list is a good way to see whether your body might be happy to receive said food.

She also really emphasized the sacredness of our lives and the food we consume. So eating slowly, not while doing anything else, paying attention to our minds and how we self-talk. Learning to love the 'crafting of meals'. There was ALOT of information to digest (ha ha) but also it was about self-love being a work-in-progress, celebrate the small steps and enjoying your body & LIFe.

It's a bit out there for some, but for west-coast me...it was right up my alley.

Currently feeling like my activity level is good--trying to get outside every day, often skiing.
 Painting and lots of reading & cooking. I think right now I could benefit from cutting down on the beer..we regularly have beer with meals or after activities. It's very much a social thing in our community but I don't need it so much.

Hope you all enjoy your weekends :)

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
http://www.richroll.com/podcast/mirna-valerio/

Great podcast--listening to it while cleaning the house :)

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
http://www.richroll.com/podcast/mirna-valerio/

Great podcast--listening to it while cleaning the house :)

Oh, I'll have to listen to that.  I follow Mirna on social media and she's awesome.  She makes me want to try ultra-running, and I never thought I'd do that!
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
Still reading and cheering everyone on.

Tris, it sounds like you're feeling a little better about your situation now.  I hope you were able to get some sleep and can avoid catching the flu.

I need to be more appreciative of my husband's willingness to eat almost anything, OMFG.  It's taken several years, but I even have him eating butternut squash now.  It did involve some trickery though - like I would put the squash in with other roasted vegetables and just not tell him, then slowly work up from there.  Other stuff, he had rigid ideas of what constituted a certain meal, and I think it was a bit of a trigger type thing for him when I'd say we're having bunless burgers for instance, but if I made a burger and put mushrooms and onions on top and said it was Salisbury steak, that was fine.

With things like curries, would you be able to split it and add more salt to his and see if he likes it better?  Say you copied his favorite restaurant's curry or something?

It is difficult to find that correct balance of eating well and exercising, but not obsessing and letting it take over your life.  A few years ago I was 15# lighter after losing over 50#.  However, it took constant vigilance to stay at that weight.  Currently, I'd like to drop 10# to get to a weight where I'm a little more comfortable in my breeches, but I'm hoping it will come off a more organically once I have my second horse back and start burning more calories in the saddle and at the barn rather than gutting it out on the treadmill and counting calories.  In lieu of that, I've decided I can be content at my current bodyfat percentage and maintain my sanity and enjoyment of food.

Perfect thread - I'm trying to clean up my diet after eating way too many cookies over the past couple months (everyone was baking this year!).

Just finished my big kale salad with hardboiled eggs and managed to ignore the big tray of donuts sitting out by the coffee machine.

Finally made it out for a run/walk today - it's frighteningly warm and sunny for January in Idaho, and by tomorrow the outdoor arena should be usable for riding.

Diet is going well; I'm just shooting for keeping it clean on the weekdays, and loosening things up on weekends.  Concentrating on eating lots of veggies and minimizing sugar.  I've started loosely meal planning again via using a Google Docs table with breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Sunday, and also listing my tentative activities for that day - riding, working out, whether I'm teleworking or in the office, etc.  Then if my schedule changes, I can quickly switch up the meal plan to work with my schedule. 

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
And..... flu. :( Started getting a cruddy throat and coughing this afternoon (on the way home from my hairstylist's. Oops. Guess I infected her. Didn't mean to, honestly thought I was out of the woods by now!). Seems to be a milder case than Boyfriend has, so far, though - no fever or chills, just the same crud/cough he has and feeling draggy and tired.

Dammit. I was working SO hard at not catching this. Another example of my body doing shit I don't approve of without my permission! :)

The part that pisses me off most is that I'm not going to make it through the 30-day yoga challenge. I know it's not my fault, but every time I've committed to an exercise schedule in my life, something has happened to torpedo it. Usually work, but this time it's my health. Hmph.

horsepoor, you are so fortunate! Boyfriend HATES it when I hide stuff in his food; learned that the hard way, he thinks it's lying. What's funny is that some "yuck" foods are things he eats all the time. Like, he was grossed out by the coconut milk I was adding to my homemade curry. I said to him, "um, you know that curry you always order when we go out for Thai? It's full of coconut milk! You've eaten it often!" He was horrified.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
The part that pisses me off most is that I'm not going to make it through the 30-day yoga challenge. I know it's not my fault, but every time I've committed to an exercise schedule in my life, something has happened to torpedo it. Usually work, but this time it's my health. Hmph.

I think you can have "sick days", pick up on the day you left off before getting the flu, and it still counting as sticking to it.  Seriously.  It's not like you're taking an exercise vacation.  If you were well you'd still be doing it.  So as long as you pick it up as soon as you're well again, you get credit for doing it.

After five days of resisting it, my immune system capitulated and I now have my kids' cold.  Little hooligans won't stop sneezing and coughing in my face.  Also relaxed my food/booze restrictions until I get my period and it finishes.  Unhappy, sick kids, sick me, and PMS?  It is better for everyone if I have ingestibles to help me cope.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »

After five days of resisting it, my immune system capitulated and I now have my kids' cold.  Little hooligans won't stop sneezing and coughing in my face.  Also relaxed my food/booze restrictions until I get my period and it finishes.  Unhappy, sick kids, sick me, and PMS?  It is better for everyone if I have ingestibles to help me cope.

Ugh, I'm sorry. Yeah, I failed to mention that I also have PMS and my period's due Monday. Period AND flu? At the same time? Who's a lucky girl!! :P

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
I have had some healthy choices and some not so I am hoping it all equals out.  But, as I go I feel I am getting a little bit better and hope to tip the scales to be 80% healthy and 20% whatever I choose.   
I am also trying to get better at stopping when I am full.

I stocked up on salad fixings and fruit. I am hoping if I reach for these more that I will not reach for the other stuff too much.

I also want to start making some healthy freezer meals for the week. I do recognize the fact that when I am hungry and don't have anything quick to make, I reach for unhealthy and I want to change that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:20:23 AM by alleykat »

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about the sickness, @Tris Prior and @okits :( It sucks.

After two solid weeks of having a cold, I think I'm better? But I've thought that before...I was feeling okay Wednesday and Thursday of last week, then took a nosedive on Friday and spent the whole three-day weekend wrapped in a blanket migrating between the couch and my bed.

Even though I think I'm okay health-wise at this point, this week will probably end up being a bit of a trainwreck healthy choice-wise. I'm traveling for work Wednesday-Friday, which always seems to end up meaning lots of coffee, rich food, and white-bread-filled hotel breakfasts. I'm also worried that getting on a plane with some lingering sinus stuffiness is going to reignite the whole thing.

Probably not going to be much exercise happening, either--I canceled my class tonight because I'm just not feeling up to HIIT right now. I'll try and do some restorative yoga instead, maybe a nice long walk with the pup since it's bearably cold.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
I've started doing a simple daily tracking thing of just recording what vegetables I eat.  I figure if I'm eating a lot of vegetables, the rest of my diet is pretty good too.  I never really focused on getting X number of vegetables a day, because I see myself as a person who eats a ton of veggies.

Yesterday I had one vegetable, and that's only if you count tomato soup as a vegetable*

It's interesting how our perception of "how we eat" can sometimes be different than reality.

*I've been sick so a lot of my diet has been toast and popsicles.  But still.  At least I did have some fruit.

I made a new journal: Ramona's World

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
All this talk of sickness brings up an interesting question: how do you know if you're too sick to work out?

My fever's gone, but my throat is still sore and I'm still coughing. Wondering if some slow stretchy yoga would be a bad idea. Boyfriend says yes, that I belong on the couch or the bed guzzling tea and soup. I disagree, but then I tend to push past my physical limits. But I've had this since Saturday and am starting to feel like a slug from lack of movement.

I don't recommend doing what I did on Saturday - realized that I was getting sick, but didn't feel awful yet, so forced myself to do my high-intensity strength training and then the 30-days-of-yoga practice - the routine she gave us that day was tough for me even if I were 100 percent healthy. I figured I'd better get it done asap before the fever hit. This resulted in the typical flu body aches PLUS being so sore from the workout and yoga that I literally could not sit down or remove my own bra. 0/10 would not recommend.

I am trying to remind myself that my focus right now should not be on counting calories, it should be on eating well and nourishing myself so that I can get over this flu.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
When I was lifting it was pretty easy to tell that point- based on the amount of weight that felt heavy that day (and not just for illness but for menstruation, at least for me). Back then I had a "recovery" workout I did instead, that was super light weight and gentle moves that I knew really well.

Now for myself my litmus test is whether I want coffee - if no, I'm too sick or too tired to push my body in any hard physical way and I stick to restorative exercise.

I'm trying to cut back/cut out caffeine, though, so I'll have to come up with a new rule for myself!

I watched the first 30 days of yoga session - I won't be able to do them every day and I definitely don't know a lot of poses (I take kundalini classes so don't know many vinyasa style poses) but I think I'm going to start following along.

Have any of you seen the 7 minute workout? From a New York Times article several years ago it sounds like. My heartrate monitor has it as an app and I tried it over the weekend - it was surprisingly hard but kind of fun! You need a chair and that's it - it's a specific order of exercises with rest in between designed to be a cardio workout that also works all your muscle groups.

The order is jumping jacks, wall sit, push ups (ummm very modified haha), abdominal crunches (I don't do these, too risky for my lower back and neck and I personally don't think they are an effective movement), step-ups onto a chair, squats, tricep dips with the chair, plank, high knees running in place, lunges, push up and rotation (HAHA noooo), and side planks. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

I've been trying to eat more grains lately and my gut has not been happy with it. Just oats and bakery bread (slow baked instead of fast-factory-processed) right now. I've just started soaking my oats in whey overnight, mostly because I have leftovers from making yogurt, but maybe it will help. I mixed a sourdough starter yesterday so hopefully in a week or so I'll have a functioning starter and can start making bread again.

edited to add:
....I forgot I mentioned earlier in the thread that Pringles are my weakness.... guess what I bought when I realized I had 11 minutes until the next bus while I was standing right outside Walgreens? But I didn't eat them!! I didn't get home until 8pm after leaving work at 5:30 and stopping at several different errand-places via transit. I was SO hungry. And made myself prepare actual food- still very much comfort food for my it's-cold-out self, toast with swiss cheese, and a fruit/oatmeal/yogurt smoothie. Now I have a little half size can of Pringles to resist every day, haha. OH I also made myself shovel my sidewalks and driveway!

The most amazing part of those choices is how I feel emotionally after making choices that benefit my wellbeing.

For a good 45 minutes of my time on transit last night I was thinking about chips and how I was going home and just eating chips and watching a video on my laptop, and wishing I had wine to go with my relaxing chip and vid time. By the time I was done with snow and making dinner, my body was ready for bed and I was dozing off the second I started a video.

Physically I am a little sore today. But my gut feels much better than if I would have eaten Pringles. And my spirit feels like a badass getting Things Done when I wanted to coddle myself. <3 That is the feeling I want to continue cultivating.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:39:38 PM by katscratch »

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
Now for myself my litmus test is whether I want coffee - if no, I'm too sick or too tired to push my body in any hard physical way and I stick to restorative exercise.

Interesting! Whether I want coffee or not is also how I tell whether I'm really sick. I had coffee today, because I decided I was well enough to work from home at least part of the day, and I needed to function. I did not want it, though, and it did not taste good. That is not normal for me, hence: sick.

Of course, the committing-to-regular-exercise thing is a fairly new development. In the past, I'd seize upon any excuse to skip a workout, but I don't want to do that any more.

She explains all the poses pretty well, so I don't think lack of knowledge will hurt you. Worst case, you can do what I do - pause and rewind as necessary to figure out what it is you're supposed to be doing.

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »

Interesting! Whether I want coffee or not is also how I tell whether I'm really sick. I had coffee today, because I decided I was well enough to work from home at least part of the day, and I needed to function. I did not want it, though, and it did not taste good. That is not normal for me, hence: sick.

Of course, the committing-to-regular-exercise thing is a fairly new development. In the past, I'd seize upon any excuse to skip a workout, but I don't want to do that any more.

She explains all the poses pretty well, so I don't think lack of knowledge will hurt you. Worst case, you can do what I do - pause and rewind as necessary to figure out what it is you're supposed to be doing.

So far I'm really really loving how she describes things.