Author Topic: Healthy Choices 2020  (Read 18503 times)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Healthy Choices 2020
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
Thanks.

Today's healthy choice: since the indoor pools are opening up again, I finally got an email today that aquajogging is also starting up again. Signed up immediately for the Saturday morning class in the pool near where I live and have sent an email to a pool closer to work to find out if an evening class during the week will be on offer.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
My husband and I took a water exercise class for a year and didn’t lose any weight. I googled it and it’s because water lowers your metabolism. We just started walking daily and lost weight.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
Good for you. Although I must admit the idea of water lowering your metabolism is definitely a new one to me. Whenever I'm able to walk for longer than 15 mins with bearable levels of pain, I will certainly be going for a lot of walks again. I do miss it.

In the meantime, aquajogging is the first sport I have ever done that I have actually enjoyed so I think I'll keep going with it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
Have fun aqua jogging @Moonwaves !

This is to say that yoga with a friend was exactly what I needed. I am also contemplating buying the app she uses because $60 for a year is pretty good. (I know I should stick with what I already have access to now, which is a lot)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:01 PM »
@mspym and @Moonwaves ves thanks for the encouragement on the room mate talk. It'll be in about a week, because she's out of town and then I'll be out of town.  Feel free to hold me accountable if I don't say anything by Oct 1, OK?

mspym, that sucks. 1m seems like an unreasonably long stride. But yoga with friend sounds very nice. I miss my in-person yoga class.

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz thanks for the tips on pushups! I've progressed from wall pushups to countertop pushups. Now that I have a coffee table, I will try that.

@Luz well done with the water! I have found it's been a big help to me to increase water, and now it's just something I do. 

Moonwaves, you seem to have a good mindset for this program. Taking proactive steps during the delay is great!  I found that aqua aerobics (Butts & Guts class) didn't really do much for weight loss, but did contribute to toning.  Of course, I only did it once a week for 8 weeks.  Maybe more time in the water would have made a difference.  But regardless, it just made me happy to be in the water, so it was worth it for that alone.  Google suggests it can also help balance, flexibility and cardio fitness.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
How's everybody doing?

I was forgiving of myself this week when I ordered a dress and it was too small. (Loss of access to heavy weights has probably made my metabolism take a dive.)

Gearing up for another IVF cycle and I am almost off of caffeinated coffee altogether! I have a little cold brew in the fridge that is the last of the caffeinated, which was about 1/3. All I have left to make in the French press is decaf. Wish me luck!

I told my other half that the weekly takeout isn't really working for me. It costs more than I want to spend and it causes me to overeat. He is mulling it over - he really enjoys it as a bright spot. If he just doesn't want to give it up, then it's on me to moderate! I only ate 1 fajita yesterday, for instance, even though there were 2 tortillas, because I was full.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
I'm back to working on my sleep.  I was doing really well, but fell off the wagon on everything when we had my in-laws (MIL, SIL, and SIL's boyfriend) stay with us for a week, then my parents came up for a few days.  Stayed up too late, ate too many snacks, drank (far more than I usually do, which is not at all, lol), didn't wake up to work out.  This week, even with no family here, I'm sitting at an average sleep time of 5 hrs 25 minutes, and I feel terrible.

So now I'm starting over again, haha.  At least I know how to move forward!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »
We are in the middle of a week off in the mountains. We have walked so much and slept so much. I have napped most days, which is pretty amazing. I have been eating more meat and less vegetables than I prefer so tonight I am going to make the chicken thighs separate from the curries so I can opt out plus we bought some spinach to add to the dal to boost the vegetable content.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2020, 06:38:33 PM »
@LBF good job decaffeinating yourself! Much luck for the IVF.

I tried pushups on the coffee table, but it's still too hard. Will continue on the counter, but now with a goal to get to the low table! I love having goals, so thanks for that.

My healthy choice is not giving up. A road trip last week for fun & to handle family business meant eating out 100% and mostly at places I didn't choose.  I am bugered & pizza'd out. Today was a new day with challenges (the pantry is bare), but in a few days I'll be back to the eating pattern I'm comfortable with.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »
turning off the debate last night was a healthly choice.  I worked on a painting and sewing some masks.  Much better use of my time.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
turning off the debate last night was a healthly choice.  I worked on a painting and sewing some masks.  Much better use of my time.

We watched the last 5 minutes after we put the kids to bed, decided we'd seen enough, and played video games. I conquered Canberra with my Byzantine Dromons, which I think was definitely a better use of my time. (Civilization VI)

@oneday - Yuck! I get so sick when I travel for that reason. Good luck with the detox :-).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2020, 10:06:59 AM »
I have lost another 3 lbs. my doctor stopped one of my high blood pressure medications because it was causing me to pee every hour or two around the clock. My BP has been a little high but my doctor thinks if I lose 6 more pounds my BP will be good.  It will be interesting to see if it happens.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »
Recent healthy choice that would not have been possible at any other time: getting daily appointments at the fitness center of my apartment complex. This has been huge motivation for me to do my physical therapy and stretching and has turned what was a struggle into something very easy to do. Plus I have access to the treadmill for the coming poor weather, a heavier dumbbell (I'll eventually need to purchase one for myself), and secure anchor points for my exercise bands. The only thing missing are the exercise balls; for some reason they are not allowed under Covid rules.

Why it's not possible at other times:
1. Because of Covid restrictions, only one household may occupy the tiny gym at any given time. So the leasing office set up a reservation system. Prior to last week, the gym was closed altogether.
2. Being unemployed, I can take the time slots that are less popular.  Might also work with WFH, maybe not quite as well.

Bonus, it's free!

How is everyone else doing? Any healthy choices related to upcoming holidays?