Author Topic: Healthy Choices: 2019 edition  (Read 21039 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Healthy Choices: 2019 edition
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
The "healthy choices in 2018" thread went quiet during the holiday season last year, but who's up for reinvigorating it?

I'm in the weight loss thread, which is great but... sometimes makes me feel bad, and also I miss having a place to talk about OTHER healthy choices that may or may not be weight loss related. Sleep hygiene! Getting an unpleasant but important medical test! Self care! Whatever!

No shame, no judgments, just appreciating positive steps.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Healthy Choices: 2019 edition
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:02:13 PM »
Yes!  I've missed this thread!

My recent healthy choice/victory is really internalizing how much I enjoy my exercise classes (Jazzercise).  I've struggled my whole life with motivating myself to exercise and it's so exciting to have found something I like so much.  Yesterday in class I even found myself thinking "I really like doing squats!"  Who would have thought?

Now I just need to keep going - my goal is 3x per week whenever my schedule allows.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:13 PM »
Intriguing thread!  Sleep hygiene is where it all starts for me.  Let's see if I can get to bed on time for a whole week.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 06:25:52 AM »
I am on the weight loss thread as well but will join here. More than weight loss, I need to adopt healthy habits and find them more important than anything else. 

For January, I put a rule in place to avoid desserts so I had no cakes, pies, cookies or ice cream.  I am going to continue this for the most part in Feb. but a little more lenient. Maybe something small once or twice a week.  If I find I am going overboard, I will get stricter.

I am looking forward to this thread.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
Yes!  I've missed this thread!

My recent healthy choice/victory is really internalizing how much I enjoy my exercise classes (Jazzercise).  I've struggled my whole life with motivating myself to exercise and it's so exciting to have found something I like so much.  Yesterday in class I even found myself thinking "I really like doing squats!"  Who would have thought?

Now I just need to keep going - my goal is 3x per week whenever my schedule allows.

Hi there!

Yay Jazzercise! People often don't know (a) that it's still around or (b) that it's a killer workout! I go with my mom and sister when I visit them back home. It's funny, I have literally zero rhythm so I spend the whole class concentrating as if I'm defusing a bomb. Foot, foot, arm thing, repeat. My sister has rhythm and she's one of those people dancing around like it's a party.

Intriguing thread!  Sleep hygiene is where it all starts for me.  Let's see if I can get to bed on time for a whole week.

Yes, let's! And let us know!

Hi, @alleykat! I struggle with sweets, too--I love cookies and baking with my kids and... Great job giving yourself a beak from them!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
I am posting to follow.  Not sure how much I will contribute.  Giving myself three months of coasting - for grieving.  Actually - that is a healthy choice.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
I am posting to follow.  Not sure how much I will contribute.  Giving myself three months of coasting - for grieving.  Actually - that is a healthy choice.

Yes! It is! Welcome, Frugal Lizard. If a nice walk and a salad feels good, go for it. If, say, sitting at the counter eating ice cream and reading sewing books is more helpful--no, wait, that was me when I was getting divorced--well, whatever your soul needs. My favorite advice columnist Carolyn Hax often talks about the need to strip away nonessentials in a difficult time. I'm so sorry.

I am excited to go the gym tomorrow! I usually only go on Mondays and Wednesdays but there are some times coming up I won't be able to go, so I want to get an extra time in. I have a new workout regime that I am enjoying. The old one had gotten stale and involved VERY heavy weights, which was fun for a while but then I got burnt out and it was harder to make myself go and put a hundred fifty-whatever pounds on my back time after time. This is more reps, less weight, still pretty heavy and muscle-building but more metabolic. I'm pleased that my choice to change it up is meaning more workouts!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »
What a good thread. My current healthy choice is actually going to the physio and doing the exercises each day and taking a break from running instead of trying to power through and make the whole thing worse.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 07:05:08 AM »
Great thread.

My healthy choices this year are to increase my sleep as much as possible. I'm trying to get at least 7 hours and 15 minutes of sleep per night. I'm also trying to improve my water intake. Already, I am feeling a difference with some small changes. It helps having a new smartwatch that helps me track these things.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
Healthy choice today - get some fresh air and set a low bar of achievement.

Got swamped in grief starting around 9pm last night and got completely pulled under by 11:30pm so I had a very hard time falling asleep.  Today I am going to putter around with no particular goals except to return some dishes to a distant neighbour so that I get them off my counter and get some fresh air.  And fresh it is - 13C at the moment - but with the wind chill it feels more like -20C.  But it is bright and sunny.  The days high is around 2pm so that it when I am targeting my walk. (-10C) 

I might make pea soup or it could wait until tomorrow. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
Last two nights I got into bed about 20 min after the optimal time, so I'm setting my "go to sleep" alarm to be 20 min earlier. I tend to be resistant to being told what to do (even if it's myself doing the telling), especially when tired.  Hoping the new alarm time helps (mixing up the alarm times has helped in the past).  Also keeping in mind all the benefits of getting to sleep on time should help:

• full night of sleep-waking refreshed
  • get cheaper parking at train station
  • get to work earlier-leave earlier
  • more time in the sunshine
  • more evening time for personal projects, including healthy choices
  • sharper thinking-not so much for work, but for personal projects
  • sharper thinking-supports other healthy choices
  • satisfaction of accomplishing the goal

There are probably others.  I will write them on my white board so I can add to the list.

Today's healthy choice was to ride my bike to pick up the library hold and some groceries.  Less than an hour's outing altogether, and really easy to do on the bike.

Curious to see what other choices you all are making!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 04:48:55 AM »
My biggest goal for a Healthy mental Choice is to start rebuilding a small circle of friends. As our Family is transitioning with Kids moving on I feel I need a wee bit more adult social involvement as everything was always through the kids.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
^+1^  @soccerluvof4 - that sounds like a solid plan.

Executed my plan for a low key day yesterday but I did get a fairly long walk in the sunshine.  At the same time, I de-cluttered two old beeswax candles to a friend that needs lots of wax for a thing she does the evening before school starts.  I also returned the dishes to another friend.

Today I am going to finish the laundry and then walk to an event and then go to a movie with a free ticket with the hubs.  So I will get some social time and some fresh air.  It is still really cold so I will bring a backpack to put my layers in at the event so I don't get overheated.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
I'm in...first goal is to solve our stupid levels of commuting. Was 1200 miles a week (DH and I combined). We've temporarily reduced that to 500. Goal to drop it to 200 or less by April.

I need to work on food and exercise choices too but only have the mental energy to do one thing at a time.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:59 AM »
I'm in...first goal is to solve our stupid levels of commuting. Was 1200 miles a week (DH and I combined). We've temporarily reduced that to 500. Goal to drop it to 200 or less by April.

I need to work on food and exercise choices too but only have the mental energy to do one thing at a time.

One thing at a time you have a better chance of succeeding and it sticking as opposed to dumping all sorts of things on yourself. Over the course of the year I think we all can make alot of changes for the better if we go one thing at a time. Some will take more time than others to figure out and longer/shorter to stick. Good luck!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
I'm not sure about this but I've noticed I tend to get mildly hungover now with a single drink, and of course I've dropped off exercising since winter, so dipping my toes in.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »

One thing at a time you have a better chance of succeeding and it sticking as opposed to dumping all sorts of things on yourself. Over the course of the year I think we all can make alot of changes for the better if we go one thing at a time. Some will take more time than others to figure out and longer/shorter to stick. Good luck!

Agree with the above!   I need to work on circle of friends too, so will of course "do what I can" as opportunites present themselves, but main focus right now is sleep time, so that is be #1 focus, and friends will just have to see me a little less until I get that under control.    This is my process; others might have more bandwidth to tackle more things at once.

ETA: goal update: made it to bed 5 min earlier, even after setting bedtime alarm 20 min earlier.  Problem is, I am "doing stuff" and don't want to quit when the alarm goes off.  Considering a short meditation 5-10 min before bedtime, so the "stuff" I'm doing has a set end time.  I have not meditated before.  Anyone have recs for YouTube or something?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:38:14 PM by oneday »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
@oneday , some of us are doing a gauntlet challenge to learn to meditate in February - the thread is "Mustachian Meditation", I think.

I've had good luck with the app Headspace as well.  There's some good intro stuff before you hit the paywall.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »
I'm not sure about this but I've noticed I tend to get mildly hungover now with a single drink, and of course I've dropped off exercising since winter, so dipping my toes in.

Welcome! I hear all the cool people are going sober. I have not done this myself. Are you drinking enough water? Hangover suggests dehydration to me but YMMV :-).

Totally understandable! Changes to one's routine are hard.

My biggest goal for a Healthy mental Choice is to start rebuilding a small circle of friends. As our Family is transitioning with Kids moving on I feel I need a wee bit more adult social involvement as everything was always through the kids.

I don't know if you follow @FIRE_at_45 but he used to post a lot about his efforts to make adult friends.

^+1^  @soccerluvof4 - that sounds like a solid plan.

Executed my plan for a low key day yesterday but I did get a fairly long walk in the sunshine.  At the same time, I de-cluttered two old beeswax candles to a friend that needs lots of wax for a thing she does the evening before school starts.  I also returned the dishes to another friend.

Today I am going to finish the laundry and then walk to an event and then go to a movie with a free ticket with the hubs.  So I will get some social time and some fresh air.  It is still really cold so I will bring a backpack to put my layers in at the event so I don't get overheated.

I love these self-care steps! I have a lot of faith in the powers of sunshine.

@oneday, hope the bike ride helped you get some better sleep :-).

My healthy choices today:
-Refilled albuterol because the old one had expired. I rarely use it but I know if I don't have a canister, I'll want it for sure.
-Saw doc for sinus infection after waiting the requisite 10 or more days. Received antibiotics.
-Had to skip gym for doc BUT put on my snow boots and went out for a lunch walk, cold and snow be damned. At least the sun was out.
-Eating leftover salmon/potato/cauliflower bake for dinner. Leftover potatoes = resistant starch FTW!

Good luck to the would-be meditators!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:48 PM »
@oneday , some of us are doing a gauntlet challenge to learn to meditate in February - the thread is "Mustachian Meditation", I think.

I've had good luck with the app Headspace as well.  There's some good intro stuff before you hit the paywall.

@SquashingDebt thanks for the rec on Headspace!  I will explore the intro stuff.  The guy's voice is pretty soothing.

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz I did get pretty good sleep that night.  The bike ride probably did help, I didn't think of that!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:05:40 PM by oneday »

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
I want to hang out on this cool thread again!

I started a new job and moved in early November last year, with a few thesis corrections still on my plate. Everything critical got done, but I was walking a tightrope for a bit to keep my sanity. There was lots of takeout involved in keeping that balance.

I started this year with the goal of restoring some normalcy. We're still unpacking, but I'm cooking again, and we (bf and I) started going to the rock climbing gym 1x-2x/week. :)

Sleep is the hardest. Ideally I'd wake up at 6 for this job, but I have a hard time getting to bed before 11/falling asleep before 12. :(

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
I love this idea, I'm in!  I want to focus on decreasing screen time in the afternoon/evening, and getting to sleep at the same time every night.  I don't think I will be able to push my bedtime any earlier, sadly, I've tried that in the past and it really cuts into time with DH, which is important too!  Will strive for more consistency, though.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
Oh actually, BibFeroz, I'm totally always dehydrated! I'm really not sure about building a new workout routine into the dread month of February, but maybe I can just make a goal to drink way more water! I get dehydration headaches even without a drink sometimes. And while I thought about a dry Feb, with valentines day and the super bowl and some weekends away it's not realistic, and I don't find my drinking to be an issue except when one drink has consequences later!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
I want to hang out on this cool thread again!

I started a new job and moved in early November last year, with a few thesis corrections still on my plate. Everything critical got done, but I was walking a tightrope for a bit to keep my sanity. There was lots of takeout involved in keeping that balance.

I started this year with the goal of restoring some normalcy. We're still unpacking, but I'm cooking again, and we (bf and I) started going to the rock climbing gym 1x-2x/week. :)

Sleep is the hardest. Ideally I'd wake up at 6 for this job, but I have a hard time getting to bed before 11/falling asleep before 12. :(

Welcome! Ugh, it's always really hard when your work schedule doesn't line up with your natural sleep schedule. Can you shift some things to the evening (I shower after dinner, for instance) to save time in the AM?

I love this idea, I'm in!  I want to focus on decreasing screen time in the afternoon/evening, and getting to sleep at the same time every night.  I don't think I will be able to push my bedtime any earlier, sadly, I've tried that in the past and it really cuts into time with DH, which is important too!  Will strive for more consistency, though.

Hi! I have found decreasing screen time to be really helpful personally--good luck! I have red light apps on my phone and computer, but I try to read a paper book.

Oh actually, BibFeroz, I'm totally always dehydrated! I'm really not sure about building a new workout routine into the dread month of February, but maybe I can just make a goal to drink way more water! I get dehydration headaches even without a drink sometimes. And while I thought about a dry Feb, with valentines day and the super bowl and some weekends away it's not realistic, and I don't find my drinking to be an issue except when one drink has consequences later!

LOL, then maybe drinking more water would be a better/more important goal!

I used to find that having a glass of wine with dinner made it harder to put the kids to bed--I would get annoyed with the minutia of tooth brushing and whatnot. But now that is the Boy's job. Doing the dishes on a glass of wine with YouTube playing is very pleasant and then they snuggled and read with me when they are in their PJs and clean.

I'm gonna make an appointment for a fitness/body composition screening. My city rec center gym does them for $15. I've been focusing on a goal weight because weighing oneself is fast and easy, but I'd like to have a better idea whether my goal weight is even appropriate. I was never a lifter before. I think I'm denser than I used to be :-).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:01 AM »
First off, I am posting this way after optimal bedtime.  It's getting worse, not better! 

Anyway, I was reminded of SMART goals today, so re-formatting and adding in some missing elements:

Set a goal (bed on time 7 days in a row)
Monitor (will start writing bed times down)
Arrange your world for success (already eliminated books & screens from bedroom)
Recruit a support team (you guys :)
Treat yourself (need to figure this one out)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »
@oneday, how's your 7 day goal going?

I made the healthy choice to take a break from calorie counting to enjoy my birthday! Doesn't mean I stuffed myself silly--I planned and thought about what I was eating, and got some exercise--I just didn't log every bite of food. One can only keep that going for so long :-).

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37:06 AM »
Good choices: took care of an email that has been hanging over my head this weekend, saw friends and sister, went rock climbing, and *cleaned* (so nice waking up to a clean kitchen!)

Not so good: too much food, haven't made time/found energy for additional exercise, not asleep yet...melatonin is kicking in though *yawn*

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
LBF, happy birthday!  You definitely made healthy choices for your birthday!

Thanks for calling me back to this thread. 

@galliver I relate to your early work schedule woes.  I am in almost the exact same position! 

On the goal: tracking show I am getting 7+ hrs/night, woot!  So it's just a matter of shifting from an 11-midnight bedtime to 10-11 (or ideally 10 pm every night) in order to get up by 6 and catch the train to work.  I am not an early riser; never have been.  But I've done it before and I'll get there again. 

Still haven't figured out what my reward should be.  Also need further thinking on if there's any more "arrange your world for success" that needs to happen.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 05:03:48 AM »
Healthy Choice today was to cancel meetings in the city.  All schools are closed for ice pellets and freezing rain.  My ride into the city and home would be crowded, longer than usual and perhaps even dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:24:42 AM by Frugal Lizard »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
My healthy choice today was to decide to not pursue a job opening. Just because I *can* do a job, doesn't mean I should do it. I want to take some time to find a job that aligns with my values and interests this time round.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
My healthy choice today was to keep my day off unscheduled (& also not to pick up extra work, even when asked!)

I have a trip coming up so my urge is to 'work more' to stash cash but instead I am cleaning, packing and taking care of health (lots of sickness going around right now so this seems very important).

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
This is a great thread - since I declared 2019 my year for health:).

January
1. Went back to black coffee for good - no milk, no ice cream, no sugar, no fancy syrups ... just good black coffee from fresh ground beans.
2. Started a 12-week Qui Gong class - part exercise, part meditation.
I am surprised how much I like the Qui Gong exercises - they are kicking my butt and who knew breathing could be such a challenge?
Meditation - well, let's say I'm working on it and it is actually slightly improving.

February
3. Eating healthier - joined the Whole30 gauntlet. I'll probably end up with part Paleo, part Whole30 and part Mediterranean Diet.
The Whole30 is easier to do than I thought it would be and is proving very beneficial.
4. No eating after supper or past 6pm. I never used to, but started up this bad habit and I don't like it - too much food, snacking, sweets. Yuck!
5. Sweets are my downfall - caramel - chocolate - truffles et al. Allowing up to three pieces in the afternoon with the intent to whittle it down to just one. However, now that I ate all my caramels and eating "better" I'm not quite as tempted as I thought I'd be.

This months goal: I'll see how all this healthier eating is progressing and take what works and do it again next month.
What I've noticed lately is that I really don't need three meals a day.
Breakfast is fine - then some fruit - minimal something for lunch if at all - and I'm finding I want to cut down on my consumption for supper as well. I just feel better if I do.

The only problem is sweets or overeating at either lunch or supper or too much snacking after supper - so I'm tweaking and experimenting.

There is a detox scheduled at my acupuncturist's healing center around Feb 24 which I am looking forward to. Not entirely sure yet what is involved.
... and I want to walk more and be more social - need to make more of an effort.

OVERALL GOAL I am hoping to have a better grip on my poor eating habits by the end of February and that the detox will be a good thing.
In March, I'd like to finetune our eating habits and walk a whole lot more.

Aside from that I am keeping up with way too many Dr. appointments, acupuncture appts and being tested poked and prodded, ultrasounds and X-rays and blood tests.
So far so good.

Today I ordered two books on CBT-Cognitive Behavior Therapy, I'm studying up on how to give a good presentation (at a local non-profit) and learning more about money and investing - all of it good for my mental well being.
Just wish I'd have more energy to deal with the spring gardening and a couple decluttering projects.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »
Wee, so many great new posts...good going getting healthy, everyone!

Yesterday was my best bedtime/wake time combo so far.  I have not consistently moved the needle earlier on the bed time, I keep going earlier/later.  But the time swings overall are getting earlier.  Tonight my challenge is to get it earlier that yesterday, which has been the earliest by 10 min.  I suspect I will go on like this for a time and then one day, BOOM I'll be back on the early schedule. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
I'm doing decently at going to bed on time, mostly by making it clear to DH that when I say "I'm going to bed," I mean to sleep, and not to sit and read for another hour.  So now when I go to bed, I actually can have the lights off instead of trying to fall asleep while DH reads.  He now reads in the living room to wind down for bed.  Unfortunately, I think this is having the side effect of DH spending longer on the computer and less time reading, since he's in the living room anyway, but that is up to him, not up to me.

I do feel bad though, I know DH hasn't been sleeping well recently (even before this change) and I want to help, but I've suggested measures to improve sleep hygiene several times before and he never follows through, so I have to disengage and let him decide what is more important for himself.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »
Cool thread.  Off the top of my head, I'm trying to continue improving the big 3: diet, exercise, and sleep -- all by (attempting) to establish habits that will stick.

For diet, I'm currently participating in the February Whole30 thread since it's pretty close to my ideal diet.

For exercise I'm trying to get at least 1/2 hour per weekday via calisthenics, and (as the weather improves) brisk walks or jogging.

For sleep, I'm trying get 8+ hours, which is really only possible if I'm in bed by about 10PM.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
@oneday, I think honoring your progress is a very healthy choice!

@Raenia, that sounds frustrating to watch! But beyond your control, sigh.

@Rosy, sounds like you are doing an awesome job keeping up with self-care during a really hard time. I hope the medical appointments lead to some kind of satisfactory resolution soon.

I am in a time of the month when I want to shovel carbs into my face. ALL THE CARDS NOM NOM. Last night I really want to make popcorn, but I knew I had already eaten quite enough food for the day and would be unhappy and bloated if I ate more. I made a cup of herbal tea and went to bed.

But I still wanted the popcorn. The whole damn bag, please. So I had a protein shake and a bag of microwave popcorn for lunch. All macronutrients accounted for and I got to enjoy the very satisfying feeling of eating lots of popcorn without stuffing myself overly. (I will also eat fruits and veggies today! I promise!)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
PtF.  I was enjoying last year's thread until I wandered off the board for several months.

My horse is laid up with an injury for a couple more months, and I'm finding it hard to get motivated to exercise when I'm not riding (my workouts are tailored towards riding fitness).

I think my small step this weekend will be to get my first set of seeds started because vegetables.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »
Today I accepted that even if I can't do the exercise I want to do (ie anything involving my legs) I can still do something so just finished my upper body sets + rehab exercises.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »
Slept in. Had eggs and avocado on a ciabatta roll and oranges for "brunch". Started laundry. Caught up on some social emails (which usually sit so long they wear on me mentally). Went for a run. Went to the store for chicken and a few things. Spent $55 but all on real food (chicken, veg, fruit, dairy products, wine vinegar). Started the chicken and poured wine while bf preps veg for grilling outside so we don't set off the smoke alarm (we're in SoCal so it's like 50F out). Didn't plan a starch side because grilled veg=deliciousness.  Friend is supposed to join us for dinner. Shaping up to be a wonderful Saturday in all respects! :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
@galliver That sounds like an ideal day!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
Today I accepted that even if I can't do the exercise I want to do (ie anything involving my legs) I can still do something so just finished my upper body sets + rehab exercises.

Very healthy attitude!

Bedtime is still trending in the right direction.  Earliest bedtime in a week and a half on Friday night!  Wake time was settling down into a pattern at the end of the work week.  Well that was before the weekend has thrown everything off again.  I think it's not going to be as much as a problem as last weekend, since I ran all over town doing all the errands today, so getting into bed should be more appealing later this evening.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 07:18:59 AM »
Had an excellent weekend of hardly any computer use - I did a little in the morning on Saturday, but in the afternoon I put it away (actually moved it from its place on the table, not just shut down) and we had a bunch of friends over for board games.  Sunday I didn't even set my computer back up.  I did watch a few youtube videos with DH on his computer, but at least we were watching together and not getting sucked into our own separate rabbit holes.  I'm debating if I will set my computer up tonight - it would be nice to stay disconnected a bit longer, but on the other hand I keep my to-do list and most recipes on the computer...

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
i listen to brian johnson pntv book synposes nad try to glean and incorporate

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj3yWdMwimwmSz4DXwtJkCeQ958RHnOfj

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
I'm back for this year's thread!

I'm in a very different place from last year. Last year I found myself getting really obsessive about calorie counting and weight loss. It was bad, and I couldn't stop even after I hit my goal weight. Then, we adopted 2 tiny kittens, who pretty much immediately started having major health problems.... and somewhere in between the kitty ER runs and the medication doses and the giving of lots of attention and love and checking on them to make sure they were still breathing, I stopped freaking out about every last thing that went into my mouth. I guess because I had the little monsters to focus on and no energy to also obsess over myself?

And since then I think I've managed to keep a pretty healthy outlook around food. Right now I'm basically doing the eat when hungry/stop when satisfied thing, working on limiting sweets and crap, and upping fruit/veg content. Hard this time of year because to me all fruit other than citrus tastes like sand! But I have been batch cooking lots of chilis and curries and stews that are full of veg, and freezing in containers so I can just grab something when I'm busy. That's worked out very well. It saved me during January when my work was really busy and I had no time to cook.

(That being said, cold weather makes me so HANGRY all the time and this morning I found myself inhaling a donut in the breakroom without even thinking about it. WTF. It was half eaten already before I realized, wait, what am I even doing?)

My main challenge right now is sleep. I'm a very light sleeper, I cannot get back to sleep if awakened, and, well, kittens. We don't have a place to shut them away for the night in our apartment, where I cannot still hear them. They can open the bedroom door. I thought about putting a latch on it on the inside but one of them hurls his little body against any closed door, repeatedly, and, well, by that time I'd be awake and up for the day even if it's 4 a.m. so that seems kind of pointless.

Pair this with hot flashes and night sweats that wake me up repeatedly, and my nights are really unpleasant. I have not slept past 5 a.m. since August and it's kind of destroying my mental health. My body does not want to be awake at 3, 4, 5 a.m. and I'm one of those weirdoes that really needs about 10 hours of sleep to feel good (it runs in my family). My doctor changed my pill prescription in hopes that it would help, but now I get more frequent but milder hot flashes/night sweats instead of less frequent but more severe. Which means I'm still not sleeping. Meh. I need to go back to her and see what else she has for me.

Oh, I've also totally fallen off the exercise wagon because I can't afford my dance or yoga classes right now. I miss them terribly. I do so much better with someone else standing in front of me telling me what to do!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
Wow.  I just got my bloodwork done for my yearly physical for work, and I'm basically a solid. 

Chol/HDL ratio (0.00-4.00) - 6.21
Cholesterol (<200 mg/dL) - 379
HDL (>= 40 mg/dL) - 61
LDL (<100 mg/dL) - 257
LDL/HDL ratio (0.00-3.20) - 4.21
Triglycerides (<150 mg/dL) - 304!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cholesterol has always been high, it runs in my family, AND I'm 35 weeks pregnant, so it should be higher than "normal" by 25-50%, but that's just ridiculous.

I've been eating a lot of simple carbs/sugary foods this pregnancy, and I haven't been exercising at all because I've been tired/achy/lazy in some combination pretty much the whole time, and I'm sure both of those things contributed to the situation. 

So, with an impending baby and a hugely unwieldy body, I need to get on it :)

Goals:

1) No desserts during the day, and only at night when I'm with DH.  No more random Starburst from the office jar, no eating a pint of fro-yo while I read by myself in the evening, even after there's a baby.

2) Stock up on "healthy" foods for after baby.  I've got frozen soup, fajitas, enchiladas, more soup, chicken pot pie, and zucchini bread so far, but I should try to find some easy lower carb options for those first few crazy weeks.  Maybe even more soup, just with lots of veggies :)

3) Go for more walks.  Set a timer and walk around my office for 5 minutes every hour so I'm not sitting all day every day.  I don't know what this will look like post-baby, but I'll at least try to go on walks during maternity leave.  Hopefully she loves baby carriers!  Once I'm up to exercising again, we have a squat rack in our basement, so I need to make it a priority to go do some lifting maybe 2 days a week?  I love weightlifting, but I have NOT been feeling it this pregnancy.  Last time I was doing taekwondo 2 nights a week and deadlifting until like 2 weeks before delivery, so I feel super lazy right now.

4) Sleep more.  This was a goal last year too, and I still have timers on my phone reminding me to "get ready for bed!" so I'll get at least 7 hours of sleep, but I ignore them :(  I'm re-committing to going to bed when those go off if at all possible.  Yes, I need time for myself, but I also make questionable food choices when I'm tired, and get less done during the day both at home and at work.  I know that's probably going to be impossible with a newborn, but I can't fool myself that I should stay up to have some me-time after she falls asleep if I'm going to be even more sleep deprived the next day and just be mean to my 2.5 year old.

If anyone has any more ideas for how to set myself up for success with these goals even with a newborn who might only sleep for 2 hours at a time, please let me know.  I won't have another blood panel until my work checkup next year, probably, but these are semi-measurable goals that will have a positive effect on my life even if they don't help my cholesterol at all. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
Had an excellent weekend of hardly any computer use - I did a little in the morning on Saturday, but in the afternoon I put it away (actually moved it from its place on the table, not just shut down) and we had a bunch of friends over for board games.  Sunday I didn't even set my computer back up.  I did watch a few youtube videos with DH on his computer, but at least we were watching together and not getting sucked into our own separate rabbit holes.  I'm debating if I will set my computer up tonight - it would be nice to stay disconnected a bit longer, but on the other hand I keep my to-do list and most recipes on the computer...

I have this issue, too! I want to model being away from my devices for the kids but it's hard.

@oneday, nice progress!

@Tris Prior, ohhh I'm so sorry. Lack of sleep is the absolute worst. Do videos or exercise podcasts not work for you? Seems like lack of exercise is probably not helping with the sleep.

@chaskavitch, welcome and congrats on new baby! Good luck with cutting back on the simple carbs. Can you manage to walk around or even get out of the office after lunch? (Personally, I like to walk before I eat, but I have moving-around tasks at work that I try to schedule for after a meal.)

I STILL struggle with wanting me time after my kids are in bed... and my "babies" are 6 1/2 and 8! And my older child is not a long sleeper.

I am thinking of setting up a squat rack in my basement in my new house, so I would love to know more about your setup :-). My best advice would be to create a dense, short workout so you can get in and get out and get some rest. It has been many years since I had a baby but I remember I had a DVD called something like Erin O'Brien's Postnatal Rescue that you could do as early as a week or two after childbirth to gently get your muscles firing again. Hang in there!

I couldn't get to the gym yesterday as my kids were out of school and they're the wrong ages--the child care doesn't take kids over 8 and I don't want to leave my eight-year-old alone in the building. If they were both 8, that would be different. Anyway, I did a half-hour strength training at home with the chin-up bar and suspension system. This AM I forced the kids out of the house to the park so I could run/walk laps around it. (There's a teachers' strike here in Denver and the kids are at work with me.)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
And all this discussion is my reminder to go do my workout in *my* basement gym.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »

I have this issue, too! I want to model being away from my devices for the kids but it's hard.

@oneday, nice progress!

@Tris Prior, ohhh I'm so sorry. Lack of sleep is the absolute worst. Do videos or exercise podcasts not work for you? Seems like lack of exercise is probably not helping with the sleep.

@chaskavitch, welcome and congrats on new baby! Good luck with cutting back on the simple carbs. Can you manage to walk around or even get out of the office after lunch? (Personally, I like to walk before I eat, but I have moving-around tasks at work that I try to schedule for after a meal.)

I STILL struggle with wanting me time after my kids are in bed... and my "babies" are 6 1/2 and 8! And my older child is not a long sleeper.

I am thinking of setting up a squat rack in my basement in my new house, so I would love to know more about your setup :-). My best advice would be to create a dense, short workout so you can get in and get out and get some rest. It has been many years since I had a baby but I remember I had a DVD called something like Erin O'Brien's Postnatal Rescue that you could do as early as a week or two after childbirth to gently get your muscles firing again. Hang in there!

I couldn't get to the gym yesterday as my kids were out of school and they're the wrong ages--the child care doesn't take kids over 8 and I don't want to leave my eight-year-old alone in the building. If they were both 8, that would be different. Anyway, I did a half-hour strength training at home with the chin-up bar and suspension system. This AM I forced the kids out of the house to the park so I could run/walk laps around it. (There's a teachers' strike here in Denver and the kids are at work with me.)

Thanks!  It was nice today, but every morning when I tell myself "go out for a walk after lunch!" it ends up being windy or snowing.  It's only the days that I don't even think about it that are nice, ha.  Colorado weather, right?  The "me time" problem is compounded by the fact that I start work at 6, so I should be going to bed MUCH earlier than I do, and our toddler has decided he doesn't like to fall asleep until like 9 most nights.  I'm toast by the end of my work week, and it's just silly.

Before I stopped lifting I was pretty much doing Stronglifts 5x5 with a tiny bit of accessory work.  I really enjoy it, but it started to feel weird to have so much tension on my torso when I was bracing, so I stopped.  I should have started up again with other accessory work once I I hit the second trimester and wasn't so tired, but I just never did.  Both times I've found out I was pregnant, I had just reached the same personal best 1RM for deadlift, and it's slightly maddening.  I just want to get past that number!  But babies :)  I definitely need to find something that starts early after delivery so I don't devolve into a lump forever.  I know it takes a while to get back to shape enough to lift actual weights, so I'll look around, I'm glad you mentioned it.

We got our setup off of Craigslist, and it's workable, if a little larger than necessary.  It was the cheapest that included enough plates, a bench, an Oly bar, and a curl bar, so we got it :)  It's some sort of Nautilus cage setup with a single pulley system top and bottom, but also with pins for holding a barbell for squats and bench.  No safety for squats, though.  It could use about twice as many holes for the pins, because it's not QUITE the right height for either my husband or I for at least one lift, but it's much better than nothing.  I also need to have some wooden spacer weights made, because we have older style plates that aren't as large in diameter as regular Olympic weights and the bar sits too low for deadlift. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Tris, when I was having a terrible menopause experience I went to a health food store and bought a pill that had the ingredient that’s in turkey and makes you tired.  All natural and it really helped.  We also had a double bed and bought a king which really helped because I could get away from my husband’s heat.  I hope you find some relief.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »

Historically, no - I do so much better if I leave the house and am around people and have someone standing over me telling me what to do (and am PAYING for it so I'll actually go due to not wanting to waste money!). I find it really hard to motivate myself to exercise alone in my own house. I did video yoga for a while but stopped when I found myself loudly cursing out the instructor when she was making me do stuff that hurt - to the point that Boyfriend ran in thinking I'd hurt myself due to the amount of profanity coming out of me! Haha.

I do feel like I'm in a vicious loop of I'm totally exhausted --> so I don't have the energy to exercise --> so I am more exhausted. I just come home, fix dinner, tend to the cats, and collapse. I don't know if exercise would help me sleep better - in the past when I was regularly exercising, I still had the awful hot flashes and night sweats and it didn't enable me to sleep through noise.

Tris, when I was having a terrible menopause experience I went to a health food store and bought a pill that had the ingredient that’s in turkey and makes you tired.  All natural and it really helped.  We also had a double bed and bought a king which really helped because I could get away from my husband’s heat.  I hope you find some relief.

You can buy pills of that? Huh. Do you know if it's vegetarian or does it contain turkey derivatives? Did it help with hot flashes and night sweats or did it just make you more able to sleep? I fall asleep fine, it's getting back to sleep when I wake up drenched (yet freezing, it's really cold in our bedroom due to not having a radiator) at 4 a.m.

God, I wish I could get a king bed. Our bedroom barely fits our queen, I have to inch past it with my stomach sucked in to get at my closet. Boyfriend is like a human battery putting out heat so that definitely doesn't help matters.