Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 166264 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2021, 03:23:01 PM »
I came into the house to find my 17 yo daughter and 14 yo son making homemade pizza and singing.  They're both really good singers, and when the two of them duet it's just beautiful.  *heaven* 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2021, 09:51:52 PM »
Thanks @mspym ! It's wonderful!

Need to whittle down my possessions to fit a new space. Going through the towels today, it was easy to figure out what was excess.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »
I'm making a llama and taking it to work. Whenever someone starts with the whining and the dramatics, I'm handing them the llama and saying, "Okay, you can talk as long as you're holding the drama llama." The thought of a grown person holding a stuffed llama while complaining about work makes me giggle.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2021, 08:35:45 AM »
Yesterday's happiness was completing touch up paint and carpet cleaning at the place I'm moving out of, so my obligation there is totally complete!

Double happiness with the carpet cleaner: the machine was malfunctioning, and the store easily swapped for a functioning machine and also gave extra time at no charge.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2021, 09:29:41 PM »
My husband is home from his week-long work trip! I really missed him.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2021, 09:57:04 PM »
Was finally able to clear the last things out of my hatchback and put the back seats in the upright position and the cargo area cover back on.  At least that small area of my life is tidy.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2021, 02:09:19 AM »
DH fixed a problem our (usually reliable) old car was having, and it looks like we will pass inspection and be good for another year!  Today I'm washing it and giving it a good vacuuming to celebrate.  I'm super happy about this. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2021, 03:29:09 PM »
I had a nice quiet walk with my dog earlier today in the unseasonably warm weather.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »
Watching the cat try to get food out of his new puzzle ball

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2021, 02:18:27 AM »
A friend gifted us some chili. We are eating it for dinner.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »
I reconnected and had a good conversation with a distant friend last night.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2021, 03:53:14 PM »
It's pouring rain! While I don't particularly care for the rain, we're in danger of entering a drought, so any rain makes me happy. Plus, I'm glad it's raining during the week and not on the weekend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
Took an extra day off of work and forgot, then surprised myself today when I realized I still have ANOTHER day off tomorrow :)

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2021, 06:27:38 AM »
Today we're having a sunny warm day (70+) for the first time this year and I'm going to use my new power trimmer to beat some aggressive/overgrown shrubs into submission.  Power tools and yard work, yay!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2021, 05:27:35 PM »
Still unseasonably warm here. I went running during the beginning of a storm. The wind and rain felt so good on my skin after being bundled up all winter, and I saw a double rainbow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
There is absolutely nothing mandatory on my calendar today. I'm still in my bathrobe. I think I'll go do a jigsaw puzzle start to finish* and fold the last load of laundry I started last night. Nice to have all the laundry done. It's going to be a good day.

*Full disclosure: I bought a batch of 300 piece puzzles at a thrift store. I grab them for a friend whose wife has ALZ. She likes puzzles, but more than 300 pieces is too challenging, and she doesn't like baby-ish ones, so I was thrilled to find some good ones last week. Giving her puzzles with missing pieces can be problematic, so I test them first. I can typically finish them off in less than two hours. Out of the five I've tested this week, only one is missing a piece. I have one more to do, so I'd better get busy, lol.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2021, 07:47:18 PM »
I took an extended lunch break today (I have to work on Saturday so no guilt) and drove around downtown streets and alleys taking photos for a photo club project. Then I grabbed some take out and sat and looked out over the river valley and ate. Best two hours I have spent in a while.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »
We adopted a guinea pig today! One of our guinea pigs recently passed, and the other one has been lonely without her. My husband has been reluctant to get another one, but today he saw a cute guinea pig as the "pet of the week" on the local news and suggested we get her. My kids are in love with her already, and are extra excited to have a "famous guinea pig from TV" lol.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2021, 12:21:04 AM »
On a walk today, saw blossoms and other signs of spring. Yay, sunshine!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2021, 02:41:27 AM »
We adopted a guinea pig today! One of our guinea pigs recently passed, and the other one has been lonely without her. My husband has been reluctant to get another one, but today he saw a cute guinea pig as the "pet of the week" on the local news and suggested we get her. My kids are in love with her already, and are extra excited to have a "famous guinea pig from TV" lol.

Congrats @nessness!  Guinea pigs are awesome. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2021, 03:22:49 AM »
Had a relatively drama free day. One of my coworkers saw my llama and also wants one, so I’m working on one for her. Another coworker wants to come over to my place over the weekend to make her own llama. Apparently I’m starting a bit of a herd. Do llamas come in herds? Prides? Gaggles? Posse?

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2021, 03:41:32 AM »
Had a relatively drama free day. One of my coworkers saw my llama and also wants one, so I’m working on one for her. Another coworker wants to come over to my place over the weekend to make her own llama. Apparently I’m starting a bit of a herd. Do llamas come in herds? Prides? Gaggles? Posse?

I'm not sure, but Llama Pride has a nice ring to it, as does Llama Posse.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 12, 2021, 05:56:28 AM »

I'm not sure, but Llama Pride has a nice ring to it, as does Llama Posse.

It's a herd, I was hoping for a fun collective noun. Thank you for getting me to look it up! I found more fun facts about llamas.

https://www.thoughtco.com/fun-facts-about-llamas-3880940

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 12, 2021, 05:58:29 AM »
Repainted a radiator in our sun room, and it looks so much better!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Fortune cookie today.

"Don't pursue happiness - create it."

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »
Even though not totally unpacked yet, I finally feel "home" in the new place :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »
I'm not much of a birthday person, but DH is, and this year I manage to organize a fairly elaborate surprise day for him. That's really more the type of thing he does, not so much me, so he was very surprised and very happy.

He's such an even keeled fellow, it's quite something to actually get him all surprised and excited.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2021, 08:29:24 PM »
I'm not much of a birthday person, but DH is, and this year I manage to organize a fairly elaborate surprise day for him. That's really more the type of thing he does, not so much me, so he was very surprised and very happy.

He's such an even keeled fellow, it's quite something to actually get him all surprised and excited.

Yeah I'm married to one of those. The lack-of-enthusiasm gets me annoyed and frustrated at times, but the benefit of being with someone so much more emotionally stable than me outweighs that minor personality trait by a ton.

My happy thing:

I spent the whole day with my 2.5 year old as DH worked on our second property. Normally I am not very mindful about it and count the hours until DH returns to relieve me (during COVID, personal time is at a premium). Today though I stayed in the zone and enjoyed every second I had with him.

He told me what I think was a really funny joke. He pointed to the outside of a tree and called it "woof" (instead of bark). I had to double check that he actually meant it as a humorous comment, because I didn't believe what I was hearing. Pretty advanced humor for a kid his age, I think!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2021, 01:17:34 AM »
Had a really fun time working on llamas this weekend. Taught one colleague how to make a llama, and gave my extra llama to another colleague. Both said I made their day, which was really nice of them.

It's quiet at work today as many people are out sick, so I got a lot of work done and was able to clear up a good chunk of the stuff in my inbox.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 15, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
We had a new Mexican grocery store open nearby, and the fresh tortillas, papayas, Oaxacan cheese, and coconut candy made my weekend. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2021, 07:38:58 PM »
Installed my deluxe showerhead, replacing the leaky, clogged one owned by the landlord. Better water pressure for a better shower. Heaven!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2021, 08:57:55 PM »
My mom got her first Covid shot! Only about 6 weeks until we can safely socialize with her without masks/distancing.

Also I found a new healthy food that my kids like - grapefruit! I'm not sure how they made it to 6 and 4 without ever having tried fresh grapefruit - I used to buy it all the time but I guess I stopped. They both loved it and ate a whole grapefruit each. They eat a reasonably good selection of healthy foods already, but it's always good to expand the variety.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »
I went for a long run today and saw a whole flock of migrating swans. Mood is much better!! Daylight savings allows more opportunities for running after work.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #333 on: March 19, 2021, 02:46:06 AM »
I had fun this afternoon making cards with DD.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #334 on: March 19, 2021, 04:51:08 AM »
Mother-in-law and SIL got their first Covid shots!  Another six weeks til we can see them.  They are older and disabled, and it's been more than a year since we've seen them.  Not long now!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: March 19, 2021, 07:05:08 AM »
Found out I need multiple surgeries, which will require over a year total of recovery and extensive rehab.

I'm profoundly grateful that I'm not working and don't have to factor in work or income into thinking about my care and recover.

Back in 2019 when I was told that I likely needed two very different surgeries, with 16 week recoveries, I could barely even think about the possible cancer itself, only how treating it would affect my job.

Now I don't have to think of my health in terms of how it affects my job, I can just focus on how it affects me.
Also, there's a chance that this surgery could actually improve my quality of life, which is unheard of in my world.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: March 19, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
Found out I need multiple surgeries, which will require over a year total of recovery and extensive rehab.

I'm profoundly grateful that I'm not working and don't have to factor in work or income into thinking about my care and recover.

Back in 2019 when I was told that I likely needed two very different surgeries, with 16 week recoveries, I could barely even think about the possible cancer itself, only how treating it would affect my job.

Now I don't have to think of my health in terms of how it affects my job, I can just focus on how it affects me.
Also, there's a chance that this surgery could actually improve my quality of life, which is unheard of in my world.

Wow, that’s putting a bright spin on it. Multiple surgeries does not sound like fun, but it’s good to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

lol, oh no, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. This is likely the beginning of a series of future surgeries, each one removing progressively more of me until they have to start replacing parts. It's just very rare for me that a treatment may actually improve my quality of life. Usually treatments for me make my QOL worse, but are necessary, so I have to do them. It's very, VERY exciting to have the possibility of a surgery improving my pain and function, even if it may only be temporary.

And yes, I generally see the bright side of everything most of the time. I mean, yeah, surgeries suck, being sick and injured sucks, but that's my normal. We all have struggles we deal with within our range of normal. Mine tend to be more medical, others have different struggles. In some areas, my life is far more challenging than most, but in other, equally significant ways, it's actually far easier, so my net difficulties are no more than anyone else's, and now that I'm retired, are probably net lower than most people's, even accounting for a body that is determined to have it's wheels fall off.

I deal with a lot of pain, but I *don't* deal with most stresses that most people have to deal with. In many ways, my life is extremely easy.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #337 on: March 19, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »
Whoa, I don’t know if I’m sorry.. or inspired. Your challenges make my nagging active youth acquired aches and pains seem pretty insignificant. Hope things go well and you get the relief you’re hoping for.

You can be both.

However, I don't believe in devaluing your suffering just because someone else is in more pain.
Pain sucks. I'm sorry you have aches and pains.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #338 on: March 19, 2021, 01:51:25 PM »
For me, the single greatest benefit of retirement was not having to factor work into my life when bad things happened - I could help my interstate parents and friends as much as I wanted to, whenever I wanted, instead of being tied to work at a distant location. It still is really good.

I'm currently helping my parents negotiate my father's transfer into a nursing home. This would be almost impossible if I wasn't retired as it's so complicated, and it's happened rather suddenly. It's wonderful that I am. The 7.5 hour drive each way isn't fun, but I love where I live. At the moment (about dawn), all the lights (house lights and street lights) in the valley below me and the surrounding hills are twinkling. The view makes me happy every day.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »
Yay @nessness and @Trifele for your families getting vaccinated! I didn't realize until your post that my folks are vaccinated and now I have my first shot as well, so seeing them in person might happen soon!  Woot, bonus happiness!

Today's happiness was having the company CFO deliver a 35" monitor to my doorstep, so I can more comfortably work from home. Despite having to spend a few minutes of my own time setting it up, it should diminish workday eye strain.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: March 19, 2021, 08:14:48 PM »
Today's happiness was defeating the (self-indulgent) depression I felt at finding out my enforced quarantine this summer will be total 4 weeks instead of 3-and-a-bit. Those extra few days tipped the balance from 50/50 travel to quarantine, to more like 40/60.

So I decided to stay inside my vacant flat in Athens for a week, one that's currently waiting for the gallery lessee to renovate. During that time I'll build relationships by chatting with my tenants below while getting sun on the balcony, and create art on the walls of the flat then painting over it, documenting the process.

[Going to Athens to curate a show I've organized, bringing over artists' works from Hong Kong. We're determined to still show work overseas and connect with people in virtual ways or even by appointment. Our careers still have to go on even through the pandemic. Luckily I've time off over the summer, a regular salary to afford Hong Kong's 3-week hotel quarantine, and won a grant that'll pay for the plane ticket.]

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »
DH got his first vaccine on Thursday and Bonus Kid got his today, both of which make me very happy.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2021, 05:55:03 AM »
I just finished doing our taxes for 2020.  I held off until now because of all the pandemic/tax upheaval.  We are recent FIRE-ees and 2020 was our first year with no W-2 income.    We owe the feds just over $300.  :)  It's silly because it was mostly dumb luck,  but I'm happy about that -- in all these years that's the closest I ever got to zero. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
I just finished doing our taxes for 2020.  I held off until now because of all the pandemic/tax upheaval.  We are recent FIRE-ees and 2020 was our first year with no W-2 income.    We owe the feds just over $300.  :)  It's silly because it was mostly dumb luck,  but I'm happy about that -- in all these years that's the closest I ever got to zero.

I am happy that tax day got extended another month. I am swamped in work right now but will be a lot less busy in May.

I just got an amended 1099 from Sofi so I'm very thankful that I haven't filed yet.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
Ugh, taxes. But this is the happiness thread. Today BF treated me to a distanced outing to the outdoor venue of my choice, and lunch was crab cakes. Beautiful weather for it, too!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
Ugh, taxes. But this is the happiness thread. Today BF treated me to a distanced outing to the outdoor venue of my choice, and lunch was crab cakes. Beautiful weather for it, too!

Ooh, I love crab cakes. I made a vegetarian pasta bake that was pretty good (not vegan because there was cheese on top). Nobody complained about lack of meat anyway, and we all ate a lot.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2021, 04:15:38 AM »
My kids went on a hike yesterday with a couple friends.  First time they have seen them in three months due to the pandemic, and everyone was so happy. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »
It was a sunny day today. DD got a new-to-her new bike that fits her perfectly as she had outgrown her old bike.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2021, 05:47:06 AM »
My balcony is being refinished, and I am so happy.

Our apartment that we bought in 2019 is in a 50 year old building, and our balcony is showing a lot of wear and tear that I can't fix. It's a huge 25 ft balcony with an incredible view, so for half the year, it's the most used "room" of the house.

I just found out that starting this week, the entire thing will be refinished, and will basically look brand new. The building just refinished our indoor pool as well, so I feel so fortunate that all of these things are being refreshed so soon after we bought. We had just accepted these "worn in" things as a consequence of buying in an older building, so it's such a nice bonus to have them made basically brand new again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2021, 06:21:11 AM »
Our 17 y.o. landed her first 'real' job, entirely on her own.  It's a great milestone!