Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165807 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:11 AM »
I had an avocado that was about to get too ripe. I made a blueberry avocado smoothie and it was really tasty.

Also, a random person waved at me while they were doing yardwork and I drove past. I was going slow enough that I was able to wave back.
I grew up in Avocadoland and only learned recently that they can be refrigerated to slow the ripening process. Mind=blown.

Oh yeah, this is critical. I buy avocados at Costco in big bags, and have the timing of refrigerating them down so well that I haven't lost so much as half an avocado since 2016.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2021, 06:38:03 AM »
As I unrolled my bag of coffee this morning I noticed a message printed near the top "brighter days are ahead"

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »
Feeling sore today after a very pleasant but challenging ski day yesterday (heaps of fresh snow in our area!), so I am enjoying my breakfast tea while using a heating pad on my back..simple and effective

Heat and cold--both so basic but sometimes it's all you need..

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2021, 07:47:16 AM »
Yesterday was really warm and sunny here (for winter). I got out for a lovely walk on my lunch hour, and even sat on my deck for a short while. The sun makes such a big difference in my mood.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
The weather on Sunday was absolutely perfect - we took a long walk at the nature preserve park and then ordered steaks online at our favorite steak restaurant for my birthday dinner at home.
Best of all I talked with my son at the hospital and there is slow improvement.

Soo many reasons to be happy and content.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »
My 6-year-old made lunch for both herself and her little sister today all by herself. And she was way more creative with it than I ever am - she made owl faces out of tortillas, peanut butter, rice cakes, nuts, and bell peppers. I was super impressed. :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:22 PM »
Today I got word from my new boss what some of my usual tasks will be. The position I filled is a new one to the company, so we are creating the template for what it will be in real time. It was astonishing how good it made me feel to know that there's something for me to do every day at work.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2021, 03:30:59 AM »
I had pizza for dinner today. I’m glad I didn’t have to cook dinner.

Also, my friend sent a whole bunch of zongzi's from her family farm. They are so delicious and very labor intensive, but the farm ones are much better than the store-bought ones because her mom puts a lot of beans and meat (and less sticky rice) in them. She also makes them much larger than the store-bought ones.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:55:15 AM by Freedomin5 »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2021, 04:47:17 AM »
Today I'm very happy that my dad got his first Coronavirus vaccination. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2021, 03:11:06 PM »
I have a little back and forth with a friend who lives far away where we send each other pictures of nature and scenery.  It always makes me smile when I get a message from him.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2021, 05:22:14 PM »
I found a new tea that I'm particularly enjoying. It's a wild apple sasparilla, which sounds random & is totally different than other tea I've had, & I'm enjoying it very much.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »
I accidentally dumped way too much red pepper into the stew I was making for dinner. I got out as much as I could, then shrugged and continued on. And it actually turned out super good - the spiciness is just what I need on this chilly evening.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:30 PM »
Today my room mate bought a set of dishes and gave me the box since I'm moving out soon. Her dishes are in the  cupboard and mine are ready to go in safe and well cushioned packaging. This inspired me to pack 2.5 more boxes. I am pleased with today's progress.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2021, 02:34:37 AM »
Today, I worked late and biked home while the sun was setting. It was a really nice sunset.

Lomonossov

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Nihil Obstat
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2021, 04:40:23 AM »
I could use this thread.

Today I finished a book that I am reading to discuss in a club next Tuesday. It was short, but so intense that required me two full readings to understand a little bit of it.

I also spent 45 minutes cleaning the balcony, including insane amount of pigeon poo. I had been looking into it for weeks already and thinking "it's going to be too much work", but when I started it was a nice job to do while listening to some music, and I do feel quite proud of it.

Keep going!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2021, 05:10:59 AM »
The gorgeous colorful sunrise this morning made me happy. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2021, 05:33:23 AM »
Amazing progress with someone I've been counselling and coaching for many months. He's one of the most brilliant people I've ever known, but got himself into a situation that utterly destroyed his mental health.

It's been a slog, but he's finally starting to make substantial gains on his own with some huge paradigm shifts that I had my doubts he would be able to make.

It's been A LOT of work, and a hell of a lot of strain and pressure on me, but I'm starting to see major payoff, which is phenomenal.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »
Just so happy things are progressing on our remodel and the new floors are going in. Getting closer hopefully to enjoying the home vs living in the mess!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
This is a tiny one, but... we've had paint on our dryer for months (Halloween pumpkin painting, I think?) Every time I see the dryer, it bothers me. Today, I researched the fix, it took no more than 2 minutes & the dryer looks great. Why have I put this off for so long? Yes for a non-paint streaked dryer!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »
A web app I've been building for work for the past 2 years was deployed today. I'm really proud of it, especially since I hardly knew anything about web development when I started working on it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
A perfect orange, spicy chaga tea, huge walk in the snow, tired legs, reading in bed, big (inner) smile

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
My husband is in a lot better mood today and he is working on decluttering some things.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
Resisted Room Mate's attempt to optimize the process of mailing a package with fancy printed labels and pre-paid postage. Normally I'm all for that, but I just need to get the job done. Quick and dirty, ya know? Happy to have the internal strength to discern between shiny bells-and-whistles tech solution and my actual goal, then pick which actually served me better.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2021, 01:54:58 AM »
I’m happy it’s Friday and it’s the weekend. There was another local covid case discovered near my neighborhood so everything is shut down again. Good excuse to not leave my apartment this weekend.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:01 PM »
Today's happiness was *quickly* getting the final bit of info needed to finish a project.
Love dependable, responsible people!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2021, 10:35:08 PM »
It’s sunny and warm today. I went for a walk to the grocery store that’s a bit farther away because it was having a cheese sale. Got several blocks of cheese for half off, yogurt for 60% off, and even found difficult-to-find imported chamomile and peppermint tea. I’m now lazing on the sofa in the sunlight, like a cat.

I’m decorating our bedroom and have had a lovely few hours learning to use Sketchup (free version) and Mood Board to create different looks. I’ve also been going down the rabbit hole that is Taobao looking for furnishings. It’s dangerous when I have access to 80% of the world’s furnishings factories at my fingertips.

Such a lovely day!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2021, 11:54:30 PM »
I have a pap smear and a physical exam every six months because I'm at high risk for cervical cancer. I had surgery last year and my mom died of it at age 50.

Just finished my latest checkup. All clear, all healthy!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
Yesterday I got sick and tired of our government's fumbled vaccine program delays and made the executive decision that I will drive out to visit my new grand-twins in May. It is on the other side of the country (36 hours driving time according to Google maps), and DS #2 will likely go with me and share the driving. So, now I am happy that I have a concrete plan in place, and something to look forward to.

I also decided that I will tentatively plan a trip to the west coast in the Fall. I miss it so much. And at this time of year, when it is snowy and cold here (-20 celsius) I need some west coast beauty to look forward to.

So there you have it, my little brain is happy having trips to look forward to.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2021, 03:56:10 PM »
Had the most fun with our Immediate neighbors last night,  Us and 3 houses in a row playing games last night and just having a lot of laughs. So lucky to have such good neighbors especially through the pandemic.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
Hearing my SO talk to his buddy on the phone, they are just laughing away--love it when male friendships are actively cultivated

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2021, 09:03:22 PM »
We went for a nice hike today to a waterfall. It was really pretty, and the weather was perfect. I'm tired now, but in the good, I-worked-my-body-hard kind of way.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
We got a puppy today.
How exciting! What kind?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2021, 09:58:31 PM »
It’s currently 17C, so I wiped down the balcony chairs and am now soaking in some Vitamin D.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2021, 06:35:34 AM »
Just finished reading a really good book.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:39 PM »
This past weekend I saw my mom for the first time since August.  My brother and SIL came too, and we had a wonderful dinner together.  Mom is fully vaccinated and I am half vaccinated and case counts are down in our area so it finally felt safe.

Today the school nurse called my husband instead of me, and he dealt with whatever the issue was!!!! This is a huge milestone after months of frustration.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »
We got a puppy today.
How exciting! What kind?

A little lab mix.  But I take that back.  Now we are dealing with severe sleep deprivation and extra loads of laundry.  Does the happiness come later?
I've had three puppies and they've all learned to sleep through the night quickly, so hopefully the sleep deprivation won't last too long! The extra laundry might last longer. I'm not sure if I'll ever get another puppy, but they sure are cute!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
Went for a walk in the sunshine today. Got a free lunch at work.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:01 AM »
Watched the waning crescent moon rise -- so pretty. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2021, 03:38:52 AM »
Helping a friend put furniture together for her newly single apartment.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »
Blistering cold day (but sunny) so we bundled up and went for a ski. It was gorgeous, great conditions and the mountain was empty since everyone was trying to avoid the chill :)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
I've been doing a half-assed job of trying to lose weight for a few months, which naturally hasn't worked. I decided to get serious about it today and start tracking my calories, which is the primary thing that's worked for me in the past.

Day 1 went really well - my body feels good after a good workout and a day of healthy eating, and I still have a couple hundred calories left in my allotment. Now I just have to keep this up for a few hundred days or so...

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2021, 12:15:00 AM »
Lovely chat with Mom...found out she and her hubby have their first vaccines done and their seconds scheduled. Yay!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:55 AM »
Chinese New Year holiday next week! Looking forward to some time off and some time catching up on outstanding work.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2021, 04:11:53 AM »
Also, after a challenging couple weeks, it is lovely to have good friends who share baking supplies and some very yummy food. It is great interacting with people who are loving and not snippy and short-tempered and attacking.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2021, 07:11:18 AM »
Great video chat with DS yesterday, and got to watch the babies sleeping, which warms my heart.

I couldn't attend the live group session in my photography group yesterday (had a stupid work thing), but I watched the recording last night, and it inspired several ideas for the coming week. Also spent a lovely hour or so later perusing beautiful Instagram feeds. Beauty, goodness and light.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2021, 12:00:09 PM »
Very happy my HS son got released after his knee surgery well a month early to at least participate in non contact training. Also we got out rug we ordered from Wayfair 3 days early for out FP room.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
My husband got his first dose of the Covid vaccine today!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »
The frost on my windows is rather pretty.  The patterns look like feathers, or birds, or butterflies.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
Made a custom box out of two other boxes to fit the artwork that's now off the walls. Happy those things will be safe during the move! That was offset when I realized there was one more piece on the wall and no room in the box. lol!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2021, 07:49:08 PM »
I am having a great day at work today. It's the holiday, so no one else is here except my boss, and I can focus on my work without being interrupted by other people's problems.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!