Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 9245 times)

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
The race report!

So, we got a heat wave.  It was supposed to hit on Tuesday and break on Thursday.  Well, it hit late (Weds) and didn't break until...afternoon of race day.  Boo!  In fact, the hottest day all week was race day.  No fog.

So remember those goals:
- Plan A (stretch goal) 3:30
- Plan B (totally do-able) 3:45
- Plan C 4:00
- Plan D - just finish!  <---- this was it.  I finished.  I came close to Plan C but just couldn't pull it out in the end.

So, the weather:
- It was 75 and muggy at the start (6:30 am), and by the time I finished, it was 95F at the top. Most of the race was really really hot. It was easily 85 at mile 4. I melt in the heat.  Peak temp in town that afternoon was over 100, then we had a freak wind/rain storm that did a heck of a lot of damage, but cooled everything down 20 degrees.

It was interesting to see how it affected everyone.  My coworkers all did great...but they were probably off their goal paces by 1:00 per mile.

My training team was similar.  Our leaders were off by 1:00 to 1:30 per mile (slower than normal).  One woman hit her goal dead on (sub-3:00).  The woman who usually runs a little faster than me beat her goal finishing time by 30 minutes.  In the heat. That's crazy. (She did a sub-3:00.) 

My finishing time was off by about 2:00 per mile from what I might have been able to do in better weather.  But one of our group was off by 3:00 per mile.  She was having a worse day than me (still finished ahead of me though!)  There were several times that I didn't think I was going to finish.  After mile 9, it was really just "finish".  I drank a ton of water and electrolyte, but it was still miserable. Those last 4 miles took me >80 minutes.  (Of course, the two steepest mile-long sections are in there.)  I wasn't going to be a DNF.  It was so hot I didn't even know how hot it was.  Not until we got into the car to drive back down.  The other issue I struggled with was the tight hamstrings.  I usually do a run/ walk.  I had a strategy on the mountain for the spots when I would run.  But it was too hot to run in most of them.  Too much of either (running or walking) makes my hamstrings unhappy.

Am I going to do it again?  My neighbors up the street (husband has done it 2x) brought pina coladas last evening and asked me that.  Maybe.  If you had asked me last week I would have said "heck yea!"  The training program is great and I feel SO STRONG.  But I cannot help but be disappointed by the result.  My husband is super proud (and I am too), but it's still disappointing to look at that finish time and realize that it doesn't reflect the training I put in.  And honestly, that's because life sucks. Sometimes the weather sucks, or you get sick or injured, or you are just having a bad day.

Maybe my coworkers who always slept in later (and thus, did most of their training later in the morning when it was hotter on the mountain) were the smart ones!

Today, aside from chapped lips and really sore toes (everything swelled up, including my feet - I shouldn't have sore toes from an all uphill half!), I feel great.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »
...aside from chapped lips and really sore toes (everything swelled up, including my feet - I shouldn't have sore toes from an all uphill half!), I feel great.
Good job!  I was able to complete a mile today for the first time in weeks...I rewarded myself with a fresh cup of instant coffee upon returning home.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Way to go mm1970! Sometimes finishing is all your body can do...and it sounds like you made the most of a tough race (since you keep using the word "mountain") with really challenging weather conditions. You'll get it next time :)

Any chance you can hop in another race in the next couple of weeks, if you feel like your race result wasn't worth all of the work that you put in?

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
Way to go mm1970! Sometimes finishing is all your body can do...and it sounds like you made the most of a tough race (since you keep using the word "mountain") with really challenging weather conditions. You'll get it next time :)

Any chance you can hop in another race in the next couple of weeks, if you feel like your race result wasn't worth all of the work that you put in?

Yes, it was an uphill half marathon...from sea level to 3997 feet, over 4000 feet of elevation gain!

I think I'm going to throw a couple of 10ks in the next couple of months.  Probably not another half.  I don't really like half marathons too much - I like "short and fast" or "low and slow", but trying to go 13.1 miles "fast" is not my jam.  I tried this one because it's a test of endurance (and uphill is better for my knees).

borneoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Guinea Pig for Life
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »
I saw this on Strava.com and I went oh cool, let's see how i will place with 60k other runners...

https://www.strava.com/challenges/the-great-13-1-Record

"The Great 13.1 Record
Run a Half Marathon and make history"
September 10, 2017

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
This week was a dropback week so we only ran 4 miles.  Thanks to the cooler temperatures and Zyrtec-D I ran my fastest time since I started with this group 5 weeks ago.  I have a lot of psychological barriers when it comes to running that I need to work past.  I also need to be patient with myself.  For the upcoming week:

Sunday - speed work at the track
Monday - Circuit Training at Gym with this routine (slight modified)  https://youtu.be/UqFzWx8X5AM
Tuesday - 3 miles plus lower body weight lifting
Wednesday - November Project
Thursday - 3 miles plus lower body weight lifting or foam rolling and 3 miles in the PM with running group
Friday - weight lifting - upper body heavy
Saturday - 7 miles

Question: How does everyone handle rest days?  I count my weight lifting days as rest from running and vice versa.  My internal alarm clock goes off at 0430 no matter what so I can't sleep in and if I'm awake at that time I feel I should be doing something productive.  I don't feel worn out so I guess it is ok. 

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »

Yes, it was an uphill half marathon...from sea level to 3997 feet, over 4000 feet of elevation gain!

I think I'm going to throw a couple of 10ks in the next couple of months.  Probably not another half.  I don't really like half marathons too much - I like "short and fast" or "low and slow", but trying to go 13.1 miles "fast" is not my jam.  I tried this one because it's a test of endurance (and uphill is better for my knees).

Holy crap... what's that, an average of a 6% gradient uphill for the full race??? Wow... kudos to you, that's astonishing!

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

Holy crap... what's that, an average of a 6% gradient uphill for the full race??? Wow... kudos to you, that's astonishing!
Something like that - it's challenging!  But also brutal.  And horrible. 

LWTG

• Pencil Stache
  • STILL.... a longwaytogo
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
Well I ran a lot more in August then I had in June/July but still not a ton. 5-6 runs with the longest being 4 miles.

Race is 9 weeks from yesterday so I really need to get the mileage up.

---------

Nice job marty998 and mm1970!!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
My training is progressing. Have had a couple of 4-milers recently that seemed short. The 6 mile rest week long run was pretty easy. I have dropped my per mile time for short runs from 14 minutes to around 12 (running at the same perceived exertion).

Long run this week is 11 miles and very intimidating still. Half marathon is 4 weeks away. Gulp...

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
You can do it, Mongoose! Don't think of it like 11 miles...think of it like "only 1-2 more miles of running than last week." And way to go on dropping your pace! Taking 2 minutes off is a huge accomplishment and you should be so proud!

I'm still chugging along. Work is kicking my ass this week, so I'm giving myself permission to just...not force myself to run. My long run last weekend was great, though! I was visiting my hometown so could run on my favorite trail, and a good friend/running buddy met me for my last 4 miles. She's not in great shape right now so I did a warmup mile, tempoed, and had an easy 4 miles with her to wrap up. It was one of those days where I felt like I was flying and could run forever. Runs like that make all of the slogs worth it.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
I survived my 11 miles this morning. It took almost exactly 2.5 hours. It was hot and humid and I don't feel very good right now. 3 more long runs before the race (4 weeks from today). I'm not sure I could've made it two more miles today...

My half marathon goal is to finish. Secret stretch goal: 3 hours or under. I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
Anyone get horrible headaches only after long runs (8+ miles or more in my case)? Not dehydrated. Not skipping caffeine. Ibuprofen, caffeine, hydration, and eating don't help. It starts about 2 hours after the run is over. I may have had partial relief today from benedryl (antihistamine). This is so weird. I pretty much never get headaches.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
Well fuck. Completed my second one in a fortnight, but this one was a double barrel of pain.

I was on track for 1:57(!!!), right up to about 17.5km in. The last 3.5 unfortunately I was hit with debilitating calf, and then quad cramps.

So embarrassed at essentially having to walk the last 3k, I basically lost 12 minutes trying to drag myself to the line (finished in 2:09 net time).

Having said that it was a stunning view around sydney harbour, over the bridge, under it twice, and a finish on the opera house steps. I guess I had a little longer than most to take it all in at the end :)

Ah well, there's always next year...