Author Topic: Half Marathon in 2017  (Read 5475 times)

Izybat

• Stubble
Re: Half Marathon in 2017
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
Well, I ran several times this week. I did two runs that were 2 miles each (run/walk), and then today I tried to run and couldn't, so I walked 2 miles. Total weekly mileage 4 or 6 depending on how you count.

Ever since I realized that I shuffle when I run, instead of running the 'proper' way, I've been trying to fix my form. Unfortunately, what this means is that new muscles are getting used that weren't before and they're rather sore. My hamstrings and my glutes aren't happy at all, and unfortunately, they're pulling on my lower back. I have a really bad lower back, so this caused enough lower back pain that I couldn't run today (hence walking instead of running.

Trying not to be discouraged again so quickly.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
Ran my first half of the year yesterday.  Time was 2:41ish, which I'm ok with.  Last year I ran this one in 2:39 with better training.  I took up a run/walk/run strategy after messing up my hip with a lack of training for two halves last fall.  The run/walk/run (along with twice weekly yoga) keeps the hip pain at a bare minimum, and it doesn't really seem to be hurting my time at all.

I'm signed up for a few more halves this year, and have roped a friend in to helping make sure I keep on my training.  He's not a runner, but is trying to keep up on his own exercise.  We've decided that we will do 5 times a week of whatever exercise we agree to (running and yoga for me).  We keep track of when we miss days, and if someone hits 5 missed workouts, they owe the other person a meal.  We used the same method to give up caffeine and to be more punctual.  So it seems to work.

My next scheduled run is August 26th, with a possible addition on the 19th if my schedule works out.  Hoping for a PR.

fuzzy math

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »
Joining in! My half is Oct 15 - St Louis Rock n Roll.

this will be my second half. I Did Disney Tinkerbell in May 2015. final time was 3:03 (13:20 mile avg), and that included a bathroom stop and the thousands of people who would just start walking directly in front of me causing me to have to go sideways or temporarily slow down til the hoards passed them. everyone says Disney races are slow, not meant for PRs, too many people doing them for fun and not following race friendly etiquette.

my goal for that race was sub 3:00 and I was pretty bummed it didn't officially happen. My phone said I'd done 13.4 mi, and combining that with the bathroom break, I was probably closer to 2:57.

regardless, this time I want a REAL sub 3:00! I've been running 3x a week and I am averaging 3 miles 2x during the week, and my long weekend runs so far have been 4 miles. I need to get back on the Galloway site and print out my prescribed distances so I don't fall behind.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
So, today we ran 4.8 miles with a 1600 ft elevation gain.  Roughly mile 2 to mile 7 on the actual course.  And it SUCKED.  Worst part, it's not even the hardest part of the course.

fluffmuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
Joining! I'm running the Richmond, VA half in November, starting a community training program in August ($ but it doubles as social time), and am currently working on getting my carcass back into something approaching shape. I've been running three times a week for all of July and this weekend will get up to five miles for my long run. We've had a heat wave so it's been really tough to get out there, but I haven't skipped a planned run yet.

I ran a very unexpected three-minute PR at the same race last year. I don't think lightning is going to strike twice, so my goal is run no slower than my previous PR (1:44).

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
My running situation is starting to really take a toll. For whatever reason (and it is likely a combination of many reasons) I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I've had several injuries/ouchies that had to be dealt with, but ultimately, I think it's my mind that's holding me back. I feel like I can't do it, so my body is telling me I can't.  My race isn't until October, but at the rate I'm training (or really, not training), I'm not sure if I can still make it or not. Sigh.

fluffmuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
My running situation is starting to really take a toll. For whatever reason (and it is likely a combination of many reasons) I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I've had several injuries/ouchies that had to be dealt with, but ultimately, I think it's my mind that's holding me back. I feel like I can't do it, so my body is telling me I can't.  My race isn't until October, but at the rate I'm training (or really, not training), I'm not sure if I can still make it or not. Sigh.

That sounds really frustrating! It's so demotivating to feel like you're trying and trying, and not making any progress. Running can be such a freaking slog, especially over the summer--don't know how the weather is where you are, but I keep reminding myself that the more I grind now, the easier it's going to feel in September and October when it's 70 degrees instead of 95. Running also doesn't always lend itself to linear progress. There are a lot of plateaus that seem endless, punctuated with sudden breakthroughs, as long as you can stick with it and trust the process.

I know you said you've been dealing with some injuries. Have you considered stepping up your cross-training game, if you're not already doing that? Strengthening your core can help with a lot of mechanical issues. Plus the stronger you are overall, the easier those runs are going to feel. Can you bike, swim, or try something like aqua-running if the pavement pounding is getting to you?

And of course, you can do this! If you're committed and do the work between now and October, there's no reason you can't finish a half by then, especially if you're open to run/walking.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
Izzybat....sorry to hear that you're struggling. I second what fluffmuffin suggests. And definitely the encouragement. A run/walk half is still a half; I'm doing that for mine because I need to take it slow restarting running after 13 years off. And the heat is a major problem for feeling progress. We're running inside (track and treadmill) in my group this week and the rest of our summer runs are in survival mode until it cools off. Our coach is encouraging longer walk breaks if we run outside. Hang in there...

I'm having trouble fitting in my runs. As I mentioned, we're inside (heat index of 105+) until the weather gets better. That complicates finding time because it's more difficult to keep the kids occupied (when we can go outside, they bike with me and are therefore busy). Plus, we had a family emergency so I'm trying to squeeze stuff in between trips out of town. If I want to get my training mileage for the week, I need to put in another 3.5 miles tomorrow before heading out again. My long run this week was supposed to be 5 miles but I had to cut it off at 3.5 and go tend to another issue. I don't know how much/if it will throw me off track to not get in a full long run (or maybe even my weekly mileage). After tomorrow, I won't have an opportunity to run until next Monday.

I did a 5 mile run/walk last Saturday. Run-walk on the way out and ran the 2.5 miles back from the turn around. Never run that far before. We have 6 miles scheduled for July 29 and then I have a 5K the 30th.

fluffmuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Way to go on your longest run ever, Mongoose! It always feels amazing to knock down a mileage number you thought you'd never be able to handle.

I'll be slogging through 5 this weekend. My boyfriend and I are going to do a trail run Sunday with the local running store, so hopefully having people to talk to and a new environment will help it pass quickly. I'm planning on 6 the week after, then cut back to 4 the first weekend of August, which will be my training program's first group run. I don't know what it is--I really struggle with getting up to 6 miles at a time. It's not like it's THAT much harder to run 6 miles than 5 (or so I'm trying to remind myself right now). Once I get to 6 it's smooth sailing unless I act like a moron, so it's definitely mental.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
It sounds like you're going through what I went through.  For a long time I couldn't get past the 4-mile mark while training.  For some reason I was drained and muscles had stiffened to the point of causing pain.  But I just kept training and training; suddenly one day I hit the 4-mile mark and energy level was high and muscles felt fine.  I increased my training exponentially at that point.  Just keep training and embracing the adversity.  It'll bolster your mental toughness, and you'll learn a lot about yourself.