Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) in 2019  (Read 929 times)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Go Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) in 2019
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:55:26 AM »
Many of us rose to the challenge of going WFPB in 2018, let's do it again in 2019. Who is with me?

Why go WFPB? Well, for this thread - I propose our discussion mainly be about health. But there are two side benefits that are really HUGE benefits and thus hard to ignore completely:
- lower carbon footprint and environmental impact of a WFPB diet vs a std western diet
- fewer animals are killed and exploited

Resources I recommend for the HEALTH aspect:
https://nutritionfacts.org/
How Not to Die (book) 
Dr. McDougall on Starch in your diet
Proteinaholic book by Dr. Garth Davis
Forks Over Knives (Amazon Video)
Plant Pure Nation (YouTube)

For ENVIRONMENT:
Livestock and Climate Change (WorldWatch.org)
Livestock's Long Shadow PDF (FAO)
Cowspiracy ( on netflix ) - documentary based on FAO & Worldwatch reports (above).

Lastly, to dip a toe into the ETHICS of eating animals:
Melanie Joy's 20 min Ted talk in Munich
Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows - also Melanie Joy.
Earthlings (2005) <- content warning: brutal.
Dominion Movie (2018) <- content warning: brutal.

So, who is with me?

sisto

• Pencil Stache
Re: Go Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »
Still planning to work on this for 2019 too. I still won't be in 100%, but I figure baby steps and if everyone were to do it just 1 day per week it would still make a vast improvement to our environment and health. @Malaysia41  I love how you always have such great resource links!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
I'll be following along. The compromise I've been able to reach with my husband is that I cook vegan meals at home, but at restaurants, parties, etc, he eats whatever he wants. So I'm always looking for new recipes to add to our dinner rotation!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
I'm in. We have been heading that way ever since we hit the road in our van. Not sure I will ever be 100% vegan but suspect I can get close enough that most people wouldn't see a difference. I recently purchased a bunch of vegan cookbooks on Kindle to help break my addiction to cheese and eggs as milk and meat are easy to get rid of (most were $3 or less).

Our 2 main complications is 1) we live in a van so space and refrigeration is at a premium and 2) my rosacea will not tolerate a high or fast sugar diet so all meals need to be balanced accordingly (my vegan family members usually eat way too much fruit for me, veggies are more my friend, especially raw). My go to recipes tend to take both of these into consideration.

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »
Last year SO went WHPB based on How Not to Die, Blue Zones, and The China Study.

I am not planning on going WFPB, so this is a bit of a PTF.  My meat consumption has been reduced as a byproduct of SO being on WFPB.  I have a similar take as @aetherie 's spouse.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »
I am following along as I would like to add more WFPB meals to my diet. I made wild rice stuffed acorn squash this week FTW! The recipe needs some tweaking as I thought it was rather bland but I'll keep working on it. I got the recipe from the Forks over Knives book. We have several dozen cookbooks in our kitchen and I want to put them to better use. I wont be going 100% in as I still enjoy fish and dairy but I would like to make the majority of my meals WFPB and I do hope to cut back a little on the dairy and use Dairy alternatives. We have made our own Almond milk which is far better than the store bought stuff and very easy.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
One nice thing with heading towards veganism is that I looked up some of the nutrition issues to keep track of. Which made me realize that given our already low meat intake we were already low on B12 intake prior to eating less meat (meatless meals were our default at home). So now we are supplementing. Fortunately the more often we add nutritional yeast to our meals, the less other supplementing we will need.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
I am in as a reducer.
 We dramatically reduced our animal-based food intake last year,now am experiencing a slight kickback from my partner who wants more meat in his diet after a year of mostly veggie. So, we have to meet in the middle somewhere. I will be keeping my intake low but it won't be zero..and my SO will still have a reduction but with flexibility.

However he made a fabulous veggie & bean chili last night!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
So happy to see so many of you taking the challenge and/or reducing!

Tonight we made one of my favorites: beefless stew from Dr. McDougall. It's the second recipe on this page:https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2016nl/nov/recipes.htm

Here's a picture of the stew, along with a bunch of veggies we roasted in the oven at about 400 degrees F . Oops I just realized I forgot to add the rosemary to the stew. Oh well, it was still yummy.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Three vegan meals for me today:

oatmeal with flax, blueberries, and coconut

farro salad with tomatoes, pea pods, and cannellini beans (leftovers)

potato & assorted veggie hash

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
That beefless stew looks really good!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
My two projects for this week is to work on is eating more greens and creating a tasty substitute for my hidden valley ranch (which is my main raw veggie dipping sauce). I have a cashew based ranch dressing to try so really I need to find a good green that travels well. So far Romaine lettuce has held up well so we keep that on hand and spinach and mixed greens are completely out since they don't travel well. Next up I need to see how well Kale travels since I remember that doing well in the fridge. I could easily see a Kale, onion, mushroom and potato skillet making a good breakfast. Anyone else working on specific food groups for nutrition or substitutions for old favorites?

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
Guess I'm automatically in since I switched to a vegetarian diet last August.  Still going strong.

WonderfulLife43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 05:58:51 AM »
PTF. And, to continue my journey towards healthier eating.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
My two projects for this week is to work on is eating more greens and creating a tasty substitute for my hidden valley ranch (which is my main raw veggie dipping sauce). I have a cashew based ranch dressing to try so really I need to find a good green that travels well. So far Romaine lettuce has held up well so we keep that on hand and spinach and mixed greens are completely out since they don't travel well. Next up I need to see how well Kale travels since I remember that doing well in the fridge. I could easily see a Kale, onion, mushroom and potato skillet making a good breakfast. Anyone else working on specific food groups for nutrition or substitutions for old favorites?

This might be the same recipe you found, but this is the best copycat one Iíve found:
https://www.veggie-quest.com/2016/05/copycat-hidden-valley-ranch-dressing-vegan/

I usually do both garlic clove and some garlic powder to suit my tastes, but otherwise follow as written.

Have you tried regular spinach over baby spinach? It keeps better in my experience and I prefer the taste to kale. Or adding a paper towel wrapped around baby spinach also helps. I can generally keep one of those plastic clamshells fresh enough for a salad a whole week that way. Once it gets sad I use it in veggie hash or freeze for smoothies. Just some ideas, good luck with your goals!

Iím working on eating more fruit this year (aiming for 1-2 servings/day). It sounds strange, but I prefer veggies over fruit, and donít really miss it when I donít eat it. But fruits have lots of good nutrition too.

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
So happy to see so many of you taking the challenge and/or reducing!

Tonight we made one of my favorites: beefless stew from Dr. McDougall. It's the second recipe on this page:https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2016nl/nov/recipes.htm

Here's a picture of the stew, along with a bunch of veggies we roasted in the oven at about 400 degrees F . Oops I just realized I forgot to add the rosemary to the stew. Oh well, it was still yummy.

My wife found McDougall a while ago to try to help with some autoimmune issues. I had a hard time with many of the recipes, but this was one I really like. We are also now getting ready to start following Dr. Gundry which will be even harder, but health is important so hear we go. Also we had a really nice potato, cauliflower, leek soup for dinner. Off to find more things I like for the rotation.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Miss Making
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
I am moving back in the direction of wfpb, after a holiday filled with vegan junk food. Have been vegan for about a year and a half (and my husband is on board, too), just trying to eat less refined oils and more veggies.

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
In preparation of starting the new Gundry diet we have been trying to clear out the fridge and pantry. Last night it was throw together stir fry with some random ingredients. We have to use up the rice since it's not on the new diet. It came out great. Carrots, onion, cabbage, brussell sprouts, mushrooms, and green beans. Then some raw cashews on top. YUM...

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:39:08 AM »
In preparation of starting the new Gundry diet we have been trying to clear out the fridge and pantry. Last night it was throw together stir fry with some random ingredients. We have to use up the rice since it's not on the new diet. It came out great. Carrots, onion, cabbage, brussell sprouts, mushrooms, and green beans. Then some raw cashews on top. YUM...

Just looked at the Gundry diet. What is leading to you adopt it?

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
Thanks Nola, that is very similar to the one I am doing. I am very glad someone else likes it. The issue with spinach is that we have a cooler with ice and spinach doesn't like ice. So we can only do spinach when we can store it at room temperature (so within a few days). But, we like Kale and the Kale held up very well. My mushroom, Kale, onion and potato breakfast scramble was delicious, especially when Chipotle "mayo" is added. I did a blackened cabbage recipe from budget bytes (though I made my own Chipotle dressing) and turned that into black bean and blackened cabbage tacos. They were very yummy.

Still need to make the ranch though. Our last grocery store didn't have raw cashews so when we go to Sprouts on Monday, we will pick them up then.

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

Just looked at the Gundry diet. What is leading to you adopt it?
@Malaysia41 For me I'm trying to clear up some psoriasis and I have a sluggish liver with elevated enzymes as well as a few gut issues. We are mostly doing it for my wife. She has RA and thyroid problems most likely Hashimoto's caused. So removing the lectins is supposed to be very beneficial. We are also both hoping to drop a bit of excess weight.

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »
One of my 2019 goals is to eat vegetarian (still having dairy) and I'm really enjoying it.

Every weekend I make a big batch of something which I then make into freezer meals for convenience. Have made a vegan chili and yesterday made an oven roasted butternut squash soup which was so, so good.

I'm thinking this chowder might be next: https://www.delishknowledge.com/slow-cooker-vegetable-chowder/print/21551/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:56:49 PM by Livingthedream55 »

Lincolnshire Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: Today at 05:01:14 AM »
Joining in here. I'm gluten-free plant based and my husband eats the same cooked dinner but will 'treat' himself to an occasional latte or steak pie if we're eating out. We do have fish for dinner one night a week so I don't refer to myself as vegan.

Looking forward to finding some new recipes here. We're having chickpea curry tonight! yum