Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 310431 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1450 on: January 22, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »
Well, I've given up alcohol entirely since the new guidelines came out.  So there are a few of us out there . . .

That's not my point at all.

People choosing to follow the new guidelines is not the same as the new guidelines being imposed on people. People are still free to ignore them as much as they want to. So comparing them to prohibition is ridiculous.

I think I may have read some sarcasom in GS's post :-)

Wish I had thought to ask for an NA beer on my last fligth, that would be a real sign of adoption of airlines stocked them.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1451 on: January 23, 2023, 05:47:17 AM »
Well, I've given up alcohol entirely since the new guidelines came out.  So there are a few of us out there . . .

People choosing to follow the new guidelines is not the same as the new guidelines being imposed on people. People are still free to ignore them as much as they want to. So comparing them to prohibition is ridiculous.

Wish I had thought to ask for an NA beer on my last fligth, that would be a real sign of adoption of airlines stocked them.

Possibly, but you never know with GuitarStv, he's simultaneously hilariously sarcastic and one of the most argumentative people here. So it could go either way.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1452 on: January 23, 2023, 08:30:59 AM »

Possibly, but you never know with GuitarStv, he's simultaneously hilariously sarcastic and one of the most argumentative people here. So it could go either way.

Truly, to know him is to love him.  Or hate him.  :P

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1453 on: January 23, 2023, 08:47:57 AM »
Truly, to know him is to love him.  Or hate him.  :P

;P

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1454 on: January 31, 2023, 07:09:32 AM »
Jumping from the Dry January thread since I’ve decided to continue to be AF for at least another month.  Here’s to Dry February!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1455 on: January 31, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »
Jumping from the Dry January thread since I’ve decided to continue to be AF for at least another month.  Here’s to Dry February!

Welcome! And congrats on getting through Dry January.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1456 on: February 01, 2023, 10:54:32 PM »
Leaving for Houston tomorrow morning.  This is my annual trip back to the US to visit my daughter.  February in Eastern Europe is usually a miserable month so I’m really happy to escape and enjoy over 3 weeks of mild temperatures and, hopefully, sunshine 🙂

Daughter rarely drinks so I should be able to avoid temptation of a glass of wine at home. And maybe I’ll try some kind of a mocktail when we go out to eat?  I don’t eat out  other than when I travel, and I don’t think mocktails are a thing in Poland anyway, so I’ve never had one. Hopefully it won’t be as disappointing as the alcohol free wine I tried during Dry January!  Never again!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1457 on: February 02, 2023, 06:27:27 AM »
Leaving for Houston tomorrow morning.  This is my annual trip back to the US to visit my daughter.  February in Eastern Europe is usually a miserable month so I’m really happy to escape and enjoy over 3 weeks of mild temperatures and, hopefully, sunshine 🙂

Daughter rarely drinks so I should be able to avoid temptation of a glass of wine at home. And maybe I’ll try some kind of a mocktail when we go out to eat?  I don’t eat out  other than when I travel, and I don’t think mocktails are a thing in Poland anyway, so I’ve never had one. Hopefully it won’t be as disappointing as the alcohol free wine I tried during Dry January!  Never again!

You can't really conceptualize NA wine as an alternative to wine, it's more of an alternative to juice.

The world of options for non alcoholic drinkers is quite small, especially if you don't like sugary drinks like me. So NA wine for me is like an adult version of juice.

I quite like NA sparkling wine though. That's my special occasion go-to.

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #1458 on: February 02, 2023, 11:04:51 PM »
I'm at a conference today for the next day or so. With a group of professionals where I don't know anyone. The conference fee came with a free drink ticket. I walked up to the bar and ordered a tonic water and lime. The place must have been loud though or she misheard my order so she served me a gin and tonic and lime. I sat down and almost took a sip and almost spit it out. Mostly because I have forgotten how unpleasant the taste of alcohol can be when I am not accustomed to it. I'm proud of myself though for not reaching for a drink in a social situation that involves walking into a room and making small talk with 50 strangers, I am naturally pretty extroverted but in professional situations, I find that alcohol can be such a crutch for many folks.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1459 on: February 03, 2023, 05:56:36 AM »
I'm at a conference today for the next day or so. With a group of professionals where I don't know anyone. The conference fee came with a free drink ticket. I walked up to the bar and ordered a tonic water and lime. The place must have been loud though or she misheard my order so she served me a gin and tonic and lime. I sat down and almost took a sip and almost spit it out. Mostly because I have forgotten how unpleasant the taste of alcohol can be when I am not accustomed to it. I'm proud of myself though for not reaching for a drink in a social situation that involves walking into a room and making small talk with 50 strangers, I am naturally pretty extroverted but in professional situations, I find that alcohol can be such a crutch for many folks.

Which is kind of crazy, because no one puts their most professional, intelligent foot forward when they are drinking.

My industry is pretty big on heavy drinking, open bar events, but when I reflect on the leaders in the industry who always came off as the most admirable and respectable, they didn't drink at those events, or if they did, I now know that they fake-drank and would nurse one drink over the course of the whole night.

chasingsnow

• Bristles
« Reply #1460 on: February 03, 2023, 08:01:58 PM »

Which is kind of crazy, because no one puts their most professional, intelligent foot forward when they are drinking.

My industry is pretty big on heavy drinking, open bar events, but when I reflect on the leaders in the industry who always came off as the most admirable and respectable, they didn't drink at those events, or if they did, I now know that they fake-drank and would nurse one drink over the course of the whole night.

Yeah, its a wild paradox, people went out for drinks again tonight, I was too drained from the conference. It's so ironic because it impairs your judgment and makes you more overconfident WHO WANTS THAT AT AN INFORMAL WORK FUNCTION!?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1461 on: February 03, 2023, 08:27:57 PM »

Yeah, its a wild paradox, people went out for drinks again tonight, I was too drained from the conference. It's so ironic because it impairs your judgment and makes you more overconfident WHO WANTS THAT AT AN INFORMAL WORK FUNCTION!?

I know! It's like the worst possible option and yet I can't tell you how many colleagues I've spent time with while they're anywhere from a bit tipsy to utterly shitfaced.

Alcohol universally makes people dumber and often makes people more affectionate or more combative, neither of which are ideal when socializing, especially with superiors and/or subordinates. With peers is slightly less problematic, but still incredibly suboptimal.

I've been on heavy opioids around my former staff and probably said less stupid, inappropriate shit than when I drank too much at one of our Christmas parties.

Now that I haven't had alcohol in so long, I literally can't fathom a state I would find *less* appropriate to be in around colleagues than even remotely drunk.

It boggles my mind and kind of horrifies me how many of my colleagues have seen me substantially inebriated. People I do not trust and do not like. Serious professional rivals and people who are keen to judge me have seen me at open bar galas, most definitely not anywhere near my sharpest or most impressive.

That's like running into your ex with spinach in your teeth and a mustard stain on your frumpy sweater. It's just not how you want to be seen.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1462 on: February 04, 2023, 06:13:29 AM »
Made it Houston yesterday and I have to say that a long trip (3 flights of about 16 hours in the air in total) without my customary couple of glasses of wine was actually a lot more comfortable.  And I woke up this morning feeling great despite not getting enough sleep and being totally jet lagged.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1463 on: February 04, 2023, 06:17:55 AM »
That's like running into your ex with spinach in your teeth and a mustard stain on your frumpy sweater. It's just not how you want to be seen.

@Metalcat - that is a perfect analogy.  Made me cringe reading it.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1464 on: February 04, 2023, 07:24:57 AM »
@ZiziPB way to go. I am amazed at the difference between waking up after a couple of drinks and waking up sober. Alcohol really detrimentally affects sleep.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1465 on: February 04, 2023, 12:58:15 PM »
I had another moment of “thank god my drinking days are done” the other day. Just on a long walk with my husband, appreciating the cool evening breeze and this wave of relief just washed over me. It was so nice right in that moment.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1466 on: February 05, 2023, 12:47:56 PM »
My goal is a dry February (or whenever in Jan my last social drink is), and will go from there.

While perusing the new-to-me grocery store and digital coupon game in my new state, I noticed COUPONS for ALCOHOL!  Are you kidding me?  Amusing, but not actually tempting, even though I love a good coupon.  It was annoying to scroll through them all.

AF for a week now, and no problem - though I'm still sad from all the change so that's muted any compulsion to drink.  I don't see any problem getting through the month, but I am curious how I'll feel if I start meeting people to hang out with (I'm considering joining a "boozy bookclub" but I'm not worried about not drinking - I'm sure it's called that because wineries/distilleries/breweries are easy places to meet up.)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1467 on: February 05, 2023, 01:10:29 PM »
I had another moment of “thank god my drinking days are done” the other day. Just on a long walk with my husband, appreciating the cool evening breeze and this wave of relief just washed over me. It was so nice right in that moment.

Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my old responses from when I did the Alcohol Experiment in Jan 2020.

2019 was the worst year of my life, and that's saying A LOT. It was wild to have a view back into what my miserable, burnt out brain was thinking back then, freshly sober on the tail end of A LOT of depending on my evening red wine to soothe my frayed nerves.

There are a lot of comments about how quitting was so much easier than I expected, which I don't remember writing. But what stands out is how I related to stress and fun.

It's crazy how much credit I gave alcohol when I was drinking. As if it was actually important for managing my stress or was actually important for having fun.

That all seems so fucking stupid to me now. Like what the actual fuck?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1468 on: February 05, 2023, 01:12:01 PM »

Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my old responses from when I did the Alcohol Experiment in Jan 2020.

2019 was the worst year of my life, and that's saying A LOT. It was wild to have a view back into what my miserable, burnt out brain was thinking back then, freshly sober on the tail end of A LOT of depending on my evening red wine to soothe my frayed nerves.

There are a lot of comments about how quitting was so much easier than I expected, which I don't remember writing. But what stands out is how I related to stress and fun.

It's crazy how much credit I gave alcohol when I was drinking. As if it was actually important for managing my stress or was actually important for having fun.

That all seems so fucking stupid to me now. Like what the actual fuck?

Heh. I know what  you mean.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1469 on: February 08, 2023, 07:38:54 AM »
My Dry February is going well so far.  Seeing all the wine in grocery stores and even at CVS here in Houston is a bit triggering.  There’s something to be said for Connecticut where I used to live: alcohol was only sold in liquor stores.  So you didn’t have to go through endless isles of wine and beer while getting your groceries or filling a prescription.  But I’m getting good at just averting my eyes and ignoring it 😀

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1470 on: February 09, 2023, 08:53:51 PM »
I agree there's something to be said for keeping the booze in separate stores. That was the way it was in Ontario until recently. This fall, I was in the grocery store when a bottle of wine had been dropped and broken, and the smell was unavoidable on my way out. I did find that triggering.

Currently, I'm craving wine quite frequently. Much more than I had been. I want to be drunk to escape reality. But I don't have to act on that desire. I'll try better coping mechanism like deep breathing and support groups.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1471 on: February 13, 2023, 07:35:52 AM »
Went out to late lunch on Saturday.  Seeing lots of people sitting in the restaurant sipping glasses of cold white wine on a sunny afternoon made me really miss it!  But I found a really nice Italian blood orange soda in a can in that same restaurant and my craving went away.  I hope to get the point of not experiencing that pang of regret and longing in situations like this.  Curious if it is possible and how long it would take to get there.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1472 on: February 13, 2023, 08:44:23 AM »
Went out to late lunch on Saturday.  Seeing lots of people sitting in the restaurant sipping glasses of cold white wine on a sunny afternoon made me really miss it!  But I found a really nice Italian blood orange soda in a can in that same restaurant and my craving went away.  I hope to get the point of not experiencing that pang of regret and longing in situations like this.  Curious if it is possible and how long it would take to get there.
It's possible! I quit 13 years ago so I forget exactly how long it took, but it did happen after a few years. My partner has always been a very light drinker and in the first few years I would occasionally have a taste (not even a sip, I would just let the drink touch my lips/tongue to get the flavor), but now I rarely bother.
When I see people drinking now I don't really feel any emotion, not regret, not judgement, it's just not been part of my life for so long that it doesn't affect me.
 I have other habits now, like herbal tea, kombucha, and, lately, drinking vinegars. I'd much rather have one of those than an alcoholic drink.
I'm popular to take to wine tastings, too, since it's no hardship to me to have an ice tea and be the designated driver.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1473 on: February 13, 2023, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm popular to take to wine tastings, too, since it's no hardship to me to have an ice tea and be the designated driver.

You're not supposed to drink the wine during a tasting . . .  otherwise it all starts to taste of 'wine' after 5-10 samples.  :P

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1474 on: February 13, 2023, 08:51:00 AM »

You're not supposed to drink the wine during a tasting . . .  otherwise it all starts to taste of 'wine' after 5-10 samples.  :P
The people I go with use it to drink wine for free, but they always seem to buy a few bottles, too.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1475 on: February 13, 2023, 02:28:14 PM »

The people I go with use it to drink wine for free, but they always seem to buy a few bottles, too.

Yup, that's why places have free tastings. I've only been to a few vineyards but yeah I would generally buy a bottle if the stuff was halfway decent. Of course these places were all under $20 for a bottle.

I've long since stopped calculating how much money I've saved since I sobered up, it'll be 3 years by the end of this month.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1476 on: February 13, 2023, 05:01:38 PM »

I had this for the first year. After that I didn't miss wine at restaurants, but I did start getting ragey if restaurants didn't have good AF alternatives, which I posted about in this thread several times.

I still get very annoyed if I'm at a place in this city that really should have AF options and has nothing but pop and juice. But it doesn't make me crave alcohol.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1477 on: February 19, 2023, 07:54:19 AM »
Just a week or so left of my dry February.  Slowly learning that there are much better options than wine when I’m tired and in need of rest and relaxation.  I don’t see any reason not to try for dry March as well - 100 days of no alcohol should be a good reset period, right?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1478 on: February 19, 2023, 08:28:54 AM »
Just a week or so left of my dry February.  Slowly learning that there are much better options than wine when I’m tired and in need of rest and relaxation.  I don’t see any reason not to try for dry March as well - 100 days of no alcohol should be a good reset period, right?

Depends on what you are trying to "reset."

There's pretty good research that says that if you had an addiction to alcohol, you really won't "reset" anything in your brain until the 2 year mark.

I know for me I felt a substantial change around 2 years. I wrote about it not too long ago, how before that I felt like someone who had quit drinking. After that I feel like someone who is a non drinker.

If your previous level of drinking was generally very mild and you just felt like you were starting to get into habits you didn't want, then yeah, 100 days is a great stretch.

But if you had a sustained level of habit that was more than you wanted to be drinking, then 100 days is a great start, but don't expect that if you start drinking again that it will be easy to sustain it at a substantially lower level than you did before.

That doesn't mean I'm saying you should be sober for at least 2 years, not at all. Just that you should really think about what your relationship with alcohol used to look like, what you want your relationship with alcohol to look like in the future, and what steps you may need to take to ensure that that future actually happens.

I just don't want you to make the same mistake that virtually everyone makes, which is to be sober for a good few months, be really happy with the impact, then go back to drinking assuming that they've now "reset" their system (they haven't), and then they end up exactly where they were before they ever tried quitting, and now trying to quit again is so much harder.

It's like the cliche of the smoker who quits, is SO HAPPY to have quit, takes a puff of someone's cigarette one day, hacks and coughs and thinks "I hate this! I'm cured!" Thinks they are now free of their addiction, so drops their guard, but then within two weeks is back to smoking a pack a day.

What I liked about Annie Grace was that she was all about determining what role you want alcohol to play in your life.

I decided to never drink again. I saw no benefit to drinking. DH decided to drink very moderately. But we had very different drinking patterns.

I was a daily habit, after work stress drinker who usually didn't drink a lot for any one sitting. DH was a less frequent drinker but once he had 3 drinks would, like, fall off a fucking cliff, lose all inhibition, get absolutely trashed and become a sloppy asshole.

So for him, he has no urge to drink at home after work. He's also perfectly happy not getting drunk when he goes out and only having two drinks once a week. He's been doing that for a few years.

But he never had an addiction, what he has is just a really, really bad reaction to getting drunk. The level of disinhibition he gets is fucking insane. So moderating for him is easy.

Moderating on any given day for me is easy, what wasn't easy was not drinking at all on any given day. I just never ever want to go back to that feeling of wrestling with whether or not I'm going to have a drink that day.

I love too much being free of the evening desire for a glass of wine. It's just gone and I never want it back.

So reflect on what you want your future relationship with alcohol to look like, because unfortunately taking a break doesn't actually eliminate whatever drove you to drink before.

If you stop for 100 days and go back, you will likely go back very quickly to whatever your pattern was before unless you go back with an active plan.

Unfortunately, the mythical "reset" doesn't exist.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1479 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:31 AM »
@Metalcat - I think the problem is that I don’t know yet what my end goal is.  I stopped drinking in 2015 or 2016 for about a year and a half.  Then decided that it was okay to have an occasional glass of wine on special occasions and it slowly creeped up to 2 glasses a day.  Which is definitely not where I want to be. So I guess I’m thinking about the 100 days as a good period during which to decide what I really want to do about alcohol in my life?  I have alcoholism in my family.  In fact, one of my cousins, a guy exactly my age, died last summer from it. I have other family members who are not as bad as he was but definitely drink too much too often.  I’m scared of that. And even if I’m not an alcoholic, I don’t want to waste my hard earned FIRE on being semi drunk or hungover.  So I need to figure this out.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1480 on: February 19, 2023, 11:38:01 AM »
@Metalcat - I think the problem is that I don’t know yet what my end goal is.  I stopped drinking in 2015 or 2016 for about a year and a half.  Then decided that it was okay to have an occasional glass of wine on special occasions and it slowly creeped up to 2 glasses a day.  Which is definitely not where I want to be. So I guess I’m thinking about the 100 days as a good period during which to decide what I really want to do about alcohol in my life?  I have alcoholism in my family.  In fact, one of my cousins, a guy exactly my age, died last summer from it. I have other family members who are not as bad as he was but definitely drink too much too often.  I’m scared of that. And even if I’m not an alcoholic, I don’t want to waste my hard earned FIRE on being semi drunk or hungover.  So I need to figure this out.

I would personally reframe away from asking whether or not you are an alcoholic because that isn't a scientifically supported concept.

If you found yourself repeatedly drinking more than you wanted to, then that's an addiction. Is it a severe one? Not necessarily, but no question it's somewhere along the addiction process.

So conceptualize what relationship with want with a substance that you have developed an addiction to.

If you want a "glass now and then habit" it's likely never going to be an easy to sustain habit. It's doable, I know I could do it, but I don't want that hassle. I don't want to have to engage discipline not to drink, that sounds miserable to me.

Because I'm past the two years, it takes me zero discipline not to drink. But if I restarted, my history with daily drinking was long and powerful, and I am very prone to addiction, I form habits extremely easily, so I just know that "a nice glass with the occasional dinner" would be something that I would have to always be vigilant about.

I would have to have rules and failsafes and it just sounds so fucking exhausting to me.

For DH it's nothing. He is very happy with his two beers at darts night at the pub, with a glass of soda water between them. He just wasn't ever addicted, nor did he ever drink for stress relief. He mostly drank because I drank. He can truly take it or leave it, it's not his substance of choice, marijuana is and he has to use discipline to keep that at a minimal level.

But to him the occasional marijuana use is totally worth the discipline. And perhaps for you the occasional alcohol would be as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you from drinking. No matter how it sounds, that isn't my purpose.

I just don't want you making the extremely common mistake of assuming that quitting for awhile will make moderating easier. You already found that out for yourself after quitting for a year and a half.

Time off can definitely help clarify your relationship with alcohol, but short of multiple years, it can't fix it, and even after a few years, I'm positive that I would be right back where I was if I started drinking again without a clear plan in place to limit it.

So yeah, take the 100 days to reflect and figure out what you want. And then make an active plan as to how to achieve it.

I made one of these plans as part of the 30.day experiment. I had to list a set of "non negotiables" meaning things that happened because of drinking that I never wanted to happen again. And what I would do if I started drinking again and one of them happened.

I actually naturally did this for years. I didn't have a problem with alcohol until my doctorate. In my 20s I was super mindful of alcohol addiction thanks to my family history, and I frequently took 6 week breaks from drinking. Not to "reset" but to gauge how hard it was to take 6 weeks off.

If it was at all hard, I took another 6 weeks off, and so on, until it became easy. Then I would start drinking again, and then after 6 weeks of drinking take another 3 weeks off and see if that was easy.

I took a 6 week break every 6 months. Often it was easy and no further action was required. I never drank in response to stress either. Not until grad school. Then it became a problem.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1481 on: February 19, 2023, 01:39:57 PM »

Thanks for the reminder to consider what's next when my dry Feb is over.

I moved with 4 bottles of booze.  1 unopened, 2 special with not much left, 1 open and not special.  I can't store them while I'm gone for the summer.  I would like to finish the 2 special bottles - so I'm allowing myself 1 "fancy" mixed drink per week in March and April until I use them up - I'm thinking the amount left will only make 4-5 drinks.  I can travel with the unopened bottle to either drink in the future or use as a gift, and the not special bottle I can use at the 1 drink/week rate, maybe use it in some baking??, or I will just toss it when I leave.

I will also allow myself to drink at social events in March and April within the 1 drink/week limit if I want, but only if I'm at a local brewery, winery, or distillery.  While I do want to sample the local offerings of my new town, my preference is going to be to try more AF options, and to present myself as a non-drinker to new social groups.

I do think I'm heading towards not drinking at all, or at least go back to the very infrequent imbibing I did in my 20s.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1482 on: February 19, 2023, 01:48:39 PM »

Thanks for the reminder to consider what's next when my dry Feb is over.

I moved with 4 bottles of booze.  1 unopened, 2 special with not much left, 1 open and not special.  I can't store them while I'm gone for the summer.  I would like to finish the 2 special bottles - so I'm allowing myself 1 "fancy" mixed drink per week in March and April until I use them up - I'm thinking the amount left will only make 4-5 drinks.  I can travel with the unopened bottle to either drink in the future or use as a gift, and the not special bottle I can use at the 1 drink/week rate, maybe use it in some baking??, or I will just toss it when I leave.

I will also allow myself to drink at social events in March and April within the 1 drink/week limit if I want, but only if I'm at a local brewery, winery, or distillery.  While I do want to sample the local offerings of my new town, my preference is going to be to try more AF options, and to present myself as a non-drinker to new social groups.

I do think I'm heading towards not drinking at all, or at least go back to the very infrequent imbibing I did in my 20s.

DH and I call this "can't waste the donuts" thinking.

I was working in an all female clinic where literally all of the staff were trying to lose weight through various different diets. Over my years there, I was the only one who lost weight. I went from obese to extremely lean. ETA: oops, I cut out a paragraph here that didn't explain this point. Lol. The point was that I was surrounded by people trying to lose weight but they were always cheating on their diets because foods they didn't want to be eating were present.

We got A LOT of food gifts there: cakes, sweets, etc. And one day, one of the women who was always on and off keto ate 3 donuts at lunch because they would otherwise go stale and you "can't waste the donuts."

So any time one of us talks about needing to consume something because it's in the house, the other says "cuz you can't waste the donuts?"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:06:54 PM by Metalcat »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1483 on: February 19, 2023, 01:56:57 PM »
If you don't want to waste them, give 'em away.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1484 on: February 19, 2023, 02:12:10 PM »

What's wrong with wanting to finish the 2 special bottles myself?  I want to drink these - they are my favorites - they are not donuts.  I'm going to make sure I drink them mindfully, not mindlessly.

I got the unopened bottle in a Christmas swap, and I think it might be fun if it shows up in the swap again this year!  Or if I need an emergency gift in the intervening time.  It will not be a hardship to keep this bottle with me for a while.

I have no friends here yet, so the last bottle I will probably throw away, as I don't see meeting someone who I would want to give an old open bottle of liquor to before I leave.  I'm missing living by my friends - the whole reason I have the non-special bottle is to make my friend's favorite dessert - and I hate that I can't make it for her right now.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1485 on: February 19, 2023, 02:25:23 PM »

What's wrong with wanting to finish the 2 special bottles myself?  I want to drink these - they are my favorites - they are not donuts.  I'm going to make sure I drink them mindfully, not mindlessly.

I got the unopened bottle in a Christmas swap, and I think it might be fun if it shows up in the swap again this year!  Or if I need an emergency gift in the intervening time.  It will not be a hardship to keep this bottle with me for a while.

I have no friends here yet, so the last bottle I will probably throw away, as I don't see meeting someone who I would want to give an old open bottle of liquor to before I leave.  I'm missing living by my friends - the whole reason I have the non-special bottle is to make my friend's favorite dessert - and I hate that I can't make it for her right now.

Nothing wrong with it, I'm just chuckling because this is classic "can't waste the donuts" thinking. It's a playful thing DH and I toss at each other whenever we justify consuming something that we otherwise wouldn't if it weren't already in the house.

I just ate 5 mediocre chocolates a few hours ago and DH said "can't waste the donuts, eh?" I still ate them, but it was with full acknowledgement that I'm only eating them because they're here.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2023, 03:13:41 PM »
Since neither my husband or I drink anymore, and it turns out there is only so much beer bread one can make or consume, we are at the wasting the donuts stage with the last batch of homebrew he made just before he stopped. It's going down the drain and we're recycling the bottles.

[And it's not good enough to give away at this point.]

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1487 on: February 19, 2023, 03:57:39 PM »
My wife and I did no alcohol for the month of October and we also did January. I drink much less now and when I drink it feels special.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1488 on: February 19, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »
Since neither my husband or I drink anymore, and it turns out there is only so much beer bread one can make or consume, we are at the wasting the donuts stage with the last batch of homebrew he made just before he stopped. It's going down the drain and we're recycling the bottles.

[And it's not good enough to give away at this point.]

If you garden, it makes great slug bait.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1489 on: February 19, 2023, 07:09:04 PM »
[...
It's like the cliche of the smoker who quits, is SO HAPPY to have quit, takes a puff of someone's cigarette one day, hacks and coughs and thinks "I hate this! I'm cured!" Thinks they are now free of their addiction, so drops their guard, but then within two weeks is back to smoking a pack a day.

On point, but it would take me a month and it was 4 packs a day.  This happened 3 or 4 times, until I finally concluded the tobacco was stronger.  Fascinating how voluble and rhetorically inventive a thwarted addiction can make the chattering mind. 

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1490 on: February 19, 2023, 10:23:28 PM »
[...

On point, but it would take me a month and it was 4 packs a day.  This happened 3 or 4 times, until I finally concluded the tobacco was stronger.  Fascinating how voluble and rhetorically inventive a thwarted addiction can make the chattering mind.

FOUR PACKS A DAY? How did you have time to do anything else besides smoke? How did you afford it?

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1491 on: February 20, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »

FOUR PACKS A DAY? How did you have time to do anything else besides smoke? How did you afford it?

Was doing a lot of reading at the time; used the butt of one as ignition for the next.  Other than in the shower or on the bike, I had one going.  As I recall, a carton was $2.50, on its way up to $5.00. 

Many addictions are clearly suicidal.  Some of them entail suicide in protracted, disgustingly self-degrading ways.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1492 on: February 20, 2023, 08:38:36 PM »
I guess a carton at $5 puts this back in the days when smoking 4 packs/day would be excessive but not unheard of. I could never smoke more than one pack a day without feeling wretched...but that was in the 90's, when one couldn't smoke inside in many public places.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1493 on: February 27, 2023, 09:41:26 AM »
Flying back to Poland today.  Overall I had no problem staying AF during my time in Houston.  My daughter and her boyfriend rarely drink alcohol so we just drank lots of water, flavored seltzer, coffee and tea all month long.  Other than maybe once or twice I didn’t miss or crave wine.  Haven’t decided yet about March. I have no desire to drink alcohol but we are thinking about a trip to Germany in March and I may want to try some local beer or wine? Not sure yet, I’ll think it over when I get back home tomorrow. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1494 on: February 27, 2023, 10:20:09 AM »
Celebrated 5 months off the hooch this weekend.

Don't know when I'll reintroduce yet, as it's been easy to abstain but I'm not so sure about my ability/desire to moderate myself. Guess it's worth a shot to see if I can enjoy the random couple of pints or bottle of wine with dinner on a monthly basis.....

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1495 on: February 27, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »
Congrats on 5 months @2Birds1Stone !

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1496 on: March 03, 2023, 08:02:54 PM »
Successfully went AF for 33 days (after doing 20 in January), and did not miss it.  My new state just started selling wine in grocery stores on 3/1.  What?  I hadn't even noticed there was no wine before!

After the last time I posted here, I had a stress dream that night about accidentally drinking a beer.  I have no idea how one accidentally drinks a beer in a clearly labeled bottle, but that's why it's a stress dream.  Was happy when I woke up and realized I hadn't messed up.

Tonight I sipped a cocktail at home while I read, then walked to an art reception at a museum 2 blocks from my house.  I enjoyed the memories that that the liquor and mixer gave me (an appropriate pairing that happened by accident), but lost the "buzz effect" on the walk to the museum.

I'm sure I'll be to this thread in the future.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1497 on: March 04, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »
Today, is my 1 year anniversary of being 100% totally alcohol free!

Before that, I spent 11 months with almost none.

When I was in the thick of regular wine drinking, I never thought I’d be here. I’m quite pleased.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1498 on: March 04, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Today, is my 1 year anniversary of being 100% totally alcohol free!

Before that, I spent 11 months with almost none.

When I was in the thick of regular wine drinking, I never thought I’d be here. I’m quite pleased.

Awesome.

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1499 on: March 21, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »
Hit one year on 3/15.

Had a moment this weekend at a concert.  Ordered a Dos Sequis for my GF at the bar.  Bartender misheard, and opened 2 beers and handed them to me.  Had a brief pause, then I handed them both to her.   Maybe a test, or not.