Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 41727 times)

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2019, 07:57:32 AM »
Here is my (non) success story. I was drinking 4-5 days a week a glass of wine (90% red) to deciding to only drink 2 days a week. My problem: I am not spending any less money. Before: buy a bottle a week. Now still on average buy a bottle a week (maybe 3 weeks of no booze buying at all). however I end up often throwing out half a bottle because it is stale when I go back to it. 2nd I find I am not consuming any less calories. Initially having a cup of herbal tea hit the spot but I've been having the munchies and eat as much and often more than if I was having my glass in the evening : ( I think part of the problem is that with wine I might just have the wine, or a handful of olives or cheese and crackers, or maybe a piece of dark chocolate. Without the wine I end up craving sweets and end up eating a lot more (and worse) empty calories. It's possible I saved a tiny bit in that there were 2, 3 weeks I did not buy any wine, but not enough to notice in the monthly grocery bill.

Good news I've developed the habit of not drinking every day or close to every day. Bad news does not seem like I am saving anything in terms of health, calories or money. Most importantly, it hasn't helped me become more productive which was my main reason to do it. I'm glad to read of other success stories.   I am going to change to a different target which is to make sure I am using my gym membership, to make sure I use it 2x a week. I went yesterday and it was a great feeling.

FWIW- this was my experience too. I gave up drinks for Lent and gained 5 pounds (was also drinking 3-5 a week with the occasional week where'd I'd hit a drink a day). I also noticed that I wanted to shop in addition to craving sugar. I really felt like I was just trading one vice for another.

The thing that I did notice was that by the end of 40 days I was sleeping better. I'm going to give it a shot again and see if I can keep the nighttime eating in check this time around.

DadJokes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
Forgot to post here, but I'm taking the month of September off, just to prove that I can (master of my own urges and all that). I didn't really drink much before - a six-pack of 24 oz Yuenglings per week.

I'm a little over two weeks in and don't really notice much difference: no urges, no weight loss, and no significant attitude change. The money saving is only $7/week, so that's not too noticeable, either.

FI45RE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
Forgot to post here, but I'm taking the month of September off, just to prove that I can (master of my own urges and all that). I didn't really drink much before - a six-pack of 24 oz Yuenglings per week.

I'm a little over two weeks in and don't really notice much difference: no urges, no weight loss, and no significant attitude change. The money saving is only $7/week, so that's not too noticeable, either.

I also started a 30-day stint with no alcohol on September 3rd, for similar reasons (prove that I can, see what changes occur in 30 days, etc.). I've been a 1-2 drinks per evening kind of person for a few years now.

So far, I've noticed a big change in ability to sleep through the night (almost immediately) as well as about a 7 lb. weight loss. I am definitely liking the decrease in expenses for the month (usually $75-$100 per month). If it ever cools down here, adding in more exercise will almost certainly boost my weight loss. Not too shabby for ~15 days.

Oh, and surprisingly, I have had very few urges for alcohol since stopping. An interesting case study, if nothing else.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
eta the guy I'm seeing suggested I just buy either no wine, or buy wine only every other week, and that way actually save on wine costs (drinking 2-3 drinks a week means throwing out 1/2 bottles of stale wine). It makes sense, and if I do that consistently will save around $260 a year.  He also agreed that for me committing to regular physical activity will make the biggest difference for energy and productivity.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:36:39 AM by partgypsy »