Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 15754 times)

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »
Fantastic Money Badger! Keep it up!

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »
Just a quick check-in, I am still sober and liking it. I had two worriesome scenarios, with my parents coming to town and my husbandís band playing at a brewery, but I came through both just fine with soda and sparkling water.

Iím glad to be showing my 16 year old that you can enjoy life sober.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
@Bean05,  Way to go!   

danakado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
Just want to chime and thank everyone for this thread.  I needed to read all this and to see the ideas.  My nightly "glass of wine" habit really has grip on me in a way that I don't like.  I can make the same argument with my morning coffee but alcohol truly is different.  I went dry last week Mon-Friday and it was great.  I had wine Sat and Sunday but will get back on track this week.  I haven't concluded I need to full board quit but I need to seriously cut back.  It was harder than I want to admit.  The drink alternatives (esp the grapefruit juice with soda water) were very helpful.  The evening wine is very ritual based for me and I need all the help I can get to find new rituals.  That time of night is usually when I can finally sit down and relax and read. 
Anyway, as always I find great advice on these forums.....! 

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
Managed to not drink during a cabin trip.  Pretty big deal for me!  I used to go to the cabin all the time and not drink, but then it became a habit to drink.  16 days with no drinking....sad that it's an accomplishment but there you go!

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
@danakado you are doing great. I found a nice cup of tea now serves the ritual purpose. I get to look at my choices, decide which one suits how i am feeling today, and then sit and drink a nice beverage that was thoughtfully chosen.

danakado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »
@danakado you are doing great. I found a nice cup of tea now serves the ritual purpose. I get to look at my choices, decide which one suits how i am feeling today, and then sit and drink a nice beverage that was thoughtfully chosen.

Thank you!  I want to love tea but I don't.  I do also like kombuchu and now that Costco carries some it's cheaper.  The hardest part is pouring that instead of wine.  Once I'm drinking it I don't really care but making that better choice feels pretty hard.  Just last night I was about to pity party myself into wine instead.  It's embarrassing to admit this but I'm also glad to be working through this.   Because I was not drinking a lot (1 sometimes 2 glasses) it was pretty easy to blow it off.  And I guess I think I still want to.  What is the line?  Is it the mental addiction?  And like I mentioned before, I have the same relationship with coffee.  With coffee I moved to mostly decaf but still, if asked to give it up all together I would be seriously sad. 

I was also hoping that no drinking would be a miracle sleep fix.  I do think it's helped but not sure I can call it a miracle? 

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
I do not like tea much either, and I hear you on the coffee!
Please give the sleep a little more time to evaluate it. I noticed after two - three weeks that I slept better, I dreamed more, and remembered my dreams. Even if you do not drink much I think you need a reset - like 2-3 weeks to feel the benefits.
Some would say if you drink weekly, and alcohol lasts 7-10 day in the body, then you are in a constant state of low level withdrawal until those 7-10 days are through. I felt really great after 3 weeks without booze and then later maybe 6 weeks as well a big uptick in energy at those times
( maybe from the improved sleep?)

Kombucha on the rocks is a nice wine substitute, and if you really like it , you can make it easily. Just need a SCOBY. I also do selzter with Lemon, much more economical.  Good luck

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
For me, it was when wine became The Only Stress Relief that I knew I needed to make the switch. Never physically addicted but it had to be entirely off the table for me to build up the other tools in my solution set.

In terms of timeframes to clear, 7-10 days gets it out of your system, there's a dramatic increase in braincell regrowth around 90 days that often triggers drinking urges but increases clarity if you get past it and them again around 1 year.

Kombucha, fancy vinegars in seltzer, splash of juice in soda water. I recommend a Fancyarse Glass so you get the special drink feeling

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »
mspym
That is very interesting about the brain cell regrowth. Between that and reduced risk of Breast cancer, I am glad to be AF for over six months , here is to a year, ( raises fancy arse glass of Kombucha).

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
@BikeFanatic *raises cup of tea* i was surprised about the correlation between alcohol and breast cancer. Given my family history, i am pleased to finally be reducing that risk factor

CrustyBadger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
In terms of timeframes to clear, 7-10 days gets it out of your system, there's a dramatic increase in braincell regrowth around 90 days that often triggers drinking urges but increases clarity if you get past it and them again around 1 year.

Interesting!  I'm getting close to the 90 day mark I think and have been noticing more cravings lately when I hadn't been feeling them for so long!  I thought it was maybe just the fact that the weather was getting colder and darker.

I'm trying to reframe my longings and cravings for a nice cold beer as "I really want a nice ice cold glass of water" and drink water like crazy because I think haf the time when I craved a drink, I was truly just thirsty!

Eckhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »
Loving this thread.

I'm two years alcohol free today!  Started as a one year experiment.  Feels so good to sleep well every night and wake up refreshed that I just kept going.

I am sure at some point in the future I will have a drink a social gathering or celebration, but these days I'm happy to be the DD, and let the DW have a few.

Keep it up everyone, it's worth it.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
Will be falling off the wagon for the "World's Largest Cocktail Party" in Jacksonville for the UGA-FL game...  I'm now genuinely curious to see how I feel Sunday and next week given recent temperance...   Stay tuned for next week's post with the results (or testimony?) 

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2018, 03:42:26 AM »
Sure, I would like to hear your honest experience. Maybe you can commit to a month aftercthe game and see how that goes.

Latestarter73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »

Interesting!  I'm getting close to the 90 day mark I think and have been noticing more cravings lately when I hadn't been feeling them for so long!  I thought it was maybe just the fact that the weather was getting colder and darker.

I'm trying to reframe my longings and cravings for a nice cold beer as "I really want a nice ice cold glass of water" and drink water like crazy because I think haf the time when I craved a drink, I was truly just thirsty!

Hi CrustyBadger (cool name!), checking in as suggested. Is it possible to tag/follow threads in the MMM forum? I haven't seen any form of favourites function yet.

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
@Latestarter73 the easiest way to follow a thread is to post in it, and from then on if there are any updates they will show if you click on the 'show new replies to your posts' link just under your user name. There is a subscribe option but then it spams your inbox.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
@BikeFanatic and all,   OK, here's the result from my "off the wagon" weekend...  I certainly drank a LOT less than prior game long weekends over a 4 day period...  And I have sworn off wine.   Simply killed my sleep and overall happiness level the next day, even just 2 glasses worth.   One day of bourbon at the game was relatively few side effects by comparison though.  Worst of all, I put back on about 5 of the 10 lbs I'd lost just from the brief bender.   So now back onto my bike and enough of the sauce for "Sober-vember"...   Goal is at least 50 miles on the bike and 10lbs off my arse!

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:11 AM »
Thanks for the update! I love Sober vember. I plan a foray myself  this weekend and am a tad nervous about being re addicted. We shall see.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:10:38 AM by BikeFanatic »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »
Well, I drank for the first time in a month or so on Halloween. Eff that. Felt like hell the next day even though I didn't drink that much. Think I'll take the rest of the year off and go easy at new years.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »
It's been 4 weeks.  I'm probably having a drink tonight, but just one.  I'm super glad I broke the cycle that I had fallen into, and I might be back again for another break later.  Thanks to all for this thread! 

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
I’m doing “sober November”. Not that I drink to excess, but I’m cutting carbs and feel like my waistline and wallet will both thank me for this.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
You all inspired me. Also have to share some credit with the hangover I woke up with yesterday. I am not going to drink at home anymore. In a move where I have to be anti-mustachian to achieve mustachian goals, I plan to only drink socially. I really don't feel having a beer at home adds to my life, but going out to enjoy a drink or two with a friend on occasion (at the same rate I do today) does add joy to my life. The home drinking feels like added drinking with no added joy. We'll see how I can do with moderation as my DH is habitual drinker and always offers to share.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2018, 04:12:25 AM »
@aneel, That's a good point about the joy of social drinking vs. the "habitual home" drinking...    It takes the edge off business meetings and other awkward gatherings (neighborhood dinner party or book club anyone?)   And it certainly reduces intake to realize you're paying $5 or more a glass at the restaurant than drinking cheaply "in bulk" at home.    A rare case where it's good to pay more at the restaurant/bar than at home.