Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 12705 times)

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Numerophobic Mustachian
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2018, 04:56:45 AM »
The best advice I can give is commit to a month. Like when figuring out possible food intolerances or allergies too mild to show up on a prick test, a month seems like the minimum effective period to abstain from something and have your body recover from delayed negative reactions. Then, if desired, add it back in and see how you feel. The difference is sometimes subtle, sometimes surprisingly stark.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Just wanted to encourage everyone here for going alcohol free, keep it up!  Your weight and finances are all the better for it. 

I know how hard it is to decline alcohol especially when your social circle wants to hang out at a bars.  Just the other day I was at a gathering and meet a bunch of new people that I wanted to get to know better.  One offered me a beer and normally I wouldn't hesitate to just say that I'm OK, however this time for a split second I actually considered taking him up on his offer because I wanted to be social make a good impression.  I still declined politely and we had a good time getting to know each other.  Turns out it was all in my head and most people don't really care if you drink or not.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
It's Friday and I'm not drinking.  I just don't want it to have power over me anymore, and my aunt is dying from esophageal cancer.  Alcohol can contribute to that sort of cancer and I don't want to put my kids what my cousins are going through right now.  Not saying my aunt caused her cancer, I have no idea.  But I quit smoking for the health benefits and I don't see much of a difference now between smoking and drinking. 

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
Well done Neustache!   Same here...  went for a bike ride for my happy hour Fri night instead of boozing...  And already down a few easy pounds so far.  Feels awesome!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »
Fantastic Money Badger! Keep it up!

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »
Just a quick check-in, I am still sober and liking it. I had two worriesome scenarios, with my parents coming to town and my husbandís band playing at a brewery, but I came through both just fine with soda and sparkling water.

Iím glad to be showing my 16 year old that you can enjoy life sober.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
@Bean05,  Way to go!