Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 311572 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1500 on: March 24, 2023, 02:21:36 PM »
Congrats anniversary people!!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1501 on: April 03, 2023, 10:16:16 AM »
Stayed mostly alcohol free in March.  We celebrated 2 family birthdays at the beginning of the month and I decided to have some drinks on these two separate occasions.  No alcohol again since March 6.  It required a surprising amount of mental energy to do decide when to drink and how much.  Will continue AF in April - it just seems easier 🙂

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1502 on: April 03, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »
I appreciate all of the thoughts, successes, and struggles being shared here.

My relationship with alcohol pre-FIRE wasn't great and was one of several reasons that FIRE was key to my future health. It somewhat improved post-FIRE, but still wasn't great. During MOAB 2022 I was finding that the days after I had beer weren't great - not in a hangover sort of a way, more like a general feeling of unwellness. @ToTheMoon and her husband had brought AF beer with them and were very generous sharing it. I discovered that that was a great alternative. I haven't had a single real beer since then, so about five months.

I'm still having some wine, but far less than half of what I was having pre-FIRE. So I guess this is a form of moderation that's working so far. Ultimately I'm still aiming to wind it down to once-in-a-while during social occasions, and that doesn't seem like a daunting challenge at this point.

I'm definitely sleeping better and as of this morning I'm at my lowest weight in about 10 years. The cancer risk is a major concern so I feel good about addressing that, but just day-to-day feeling good is so important. I turn 50 this year and still feel like my fittest and healthiest years are ahead of me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1503 on: April 08, 2023, 10:18:50 PM »
Did not see this coming, Mark Manson on why he's not drinking anymore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuUgGWLYa0

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1504 on: April 08, 2023, 10:33:26 PM »
Did not see this coming, Mark Manson on why he's not drinking anymore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuUgGWLYa0

Thanks for that video.  I don't regret my drinking in my 20's and 30's, but wish I would've had his maturity and clarity when I was 39...  Booze free now and can't believe how awful my last years of drinking were in my mid-40's, yet refused to give it up.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1505 on: April 09, 2023, 06:48:11 AM »

Thanks for that video.  I don't regret my drinking in my 20's and 30's, but wish I would've had his maturity and clarity when I was 39...  Booze free now and can't believe how awful my last years of drinking were in my mid-40's, yet refused to give it up.

I am so happy I had to temporarily quit mid/late 30s for a drug trial.

I probably would have continued drinking well into my 40s otherwise. I'm most happy that DH quit at the same time, because he just turned 50 a few weeks ago and is now in the best shape of his life.

My experience is pretty much exactly like that video, except that I didn't lose weight from quitting alcohol, I gained a bit from the sugar habit I temporarily replaced it with, lol.

I'm interested in him describing 10-15 drinks a week as "heavy drinking" since at the time, that would have been exactly within the definition of "healthy" and "moderate" drinking for men. The old standard was 2 drinks a day for men. In fact, I think this is still the standard according to the CDC, I think it's just Canada that lowered it to 2 drinks a week.

It's not that I disagree with him that that's way too much, I can't imagine ever seeing nearly nightly drinking as normal ever again. But I can just imagine the eyerolls I would get from the wine moms if I started referring to my former glass of wine with dinner as "heavy drinking" while espousing the benefits of sobriety. They would laugh me out of the room.

So again, I don't disagree with him, it just really struck me as something that could be very alienating to the exact audience he's trying to reach.

I mean, all of the sober folks will nod along I'm agreement, but I could see the drinkers being like "oh fuck off with that LA bullshit."

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1506 on: April 09, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »
I was definitely more receptive to the way Huberman delivered the 'alcohol sucks' message than Manson, but repetition is all good.  If folks look up to Manson, then every little bit helps.  I got a lot of energy from finding out that Stephen King went alcohol and drug free, although I didn't know about the history until I looked it up.  'The Shining' had a whole other level I'd missed on that first teen read.

Alcohol is headed in the direction smoking went, it's hard to ignore just how terrible it is to our health for what amounts to a fleeting period of 'relaxation' or buzz followed by long periods of discomfort.  You can get away with a lot of BS in your 20's, and the alcohol industry isn't going to give up their massive profit margins, but it's great to see more awareness.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1507 on: April 09, 2023, 08:37:02 PM »
I really like him so am completely biased but I also preferred the Huberman episode :)

I've been an almost daily drinker for years who has recently lost my taste for alcohol. I tend to take a month off here or there but socializing in my town revolves heavily around alcohol and I've generally always been okay with that. It's an outdoorsy town so people tend to gather for a drink after skiing, or hiking, or biking...etc.

It seems as if my desire & ability to drink has dropped down dramatically in the last few weeks. Not sure why but am just going along with it. I've been buying kombucha and also drinking sparkling water with shrubs. Or a Radler..which at 2.5% alcohol seem much more reasonable than the 6.5/7% IPA's I had gotten used to.

Anyhow, I'm not sure where this is taking me but I enjoy reading through this thread and being inspired by everyones stories and experiences. Definitely notice my sleep is better & energy is higher when I don't have anything to drink..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 08:42:28 PM by Serendip »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1508 on: April 10, 2023, 07:55:08 AM »
This past weekend I had a glass of wine at the each of the Easter dinners I attended. I shouldn't have bothered at the first one. Wine was shitty. Second night - I shouldn't have let someone else pour. I would have been happy with three sips of the beautiful red, but still had more than half a glass.

Happy that Easter Gatherings are finished and I can return to my hermit like existence once again.

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1509 on: April 14, 2023, 09:13:33 AM »
I posted here maybe a year and a half ago after having done The Alcohol Experiment and being about 2 months dry. I made it to 3 months and really hadn't noticed many changes at all. No weight loss (well, I lost about 2 pounds...), my sleep wasn't really much changed (it wasn't bad to begin with), no changes in energy or anxiety, etc.

Given this, and because my prior drinking was frequent but not "problematic" (i.e., I drank often, more than is healthy, but would always stop before getting drunk), I decided to go back to enjoying my beloved craft beers.

I'm giving the 30 day Alcohol Experiment another go. It didn't resonate with me well last time (even though I also read This Naked Mind at the same time), because I didn't drink heavily enough to get drunk, have blackouts, etc., which is what often seemed to be provided as examples. But my drinking is creeping up and up (I can now have 3 and sometimes 4 beers before I really start feeling a buzz that tells me to stop!), and I am gaining weight, and my parents are both currently in health crises despite being only in their late 50s/early 60s due to lifestyle factors (smoking for them). I just don't want to be in the same place as them, and I know that now at 41, I really do need to take better care of myself. I am also starting to notice that my sleep really IS affected now when I drink, and I feel kind of shitty the next day. And I have put on about 10-15 pounds over the past year - a lot on my 5'2" frame. Mostly though, the cancer risks associated with alcohol are scary for me.

I'm on day 4 now and so far so good. I'm hoping the lessons resonate more with me this time so I won't WANT to go back to drinking. The nice thing is, there seem to be a lot more good NA beer options that are a good alternative to have on hand for times when I really feel like only a beer will do.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1510 on: April 17, 2023, 02:46:53 AM »
Welcome to the thread, Petuniajo. It sounds like you have a lot more reasons to go -- and stay -- alcohol free this time around.

The Easter long weekend came and went without any cravings. I did have a bit of a "flashback" to Easter 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic, and how badly I wanted wine to get through it. I preferred the current approach of not drinking and not craving and not thinking about alcohol.

And this weekend was full-on patio weather -- we had a false summer instead of a false spring -- and that made me interested in having a beer. But just in passing. Not a strong craving.

I'm now more than 6 months into a 2-year commitment to not drink any alcohol. And I've just started a 4-month leave from work, so this will be a time to stay vigilant and make sure I don't allow for any excuses that would result in a slip. I definitely need to have no alcohol (as opposed to a possible approach of moderation, which I may or may not want to try after a full 2 years alcohol-free).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1511 on: April 17, 2023, 03:13:57 AM »
Time flies! Somewhere in the last few days I crossed the 200 day mark.  Way longer than I ever expected to go, with no real goal in mind. Still debating whether to consciously keep the streak going or not.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1512 on: April 17, 2023, 09:20:28 AM »
Easter marked two years of being AF thanks to this thread and the Alcohol Experiment.   It's definitely been a good change with the most significant benefit being sleep, glorious sleep.  I didn't appreciate how my sleep was impacted until I stopped drinking and noticed how rested and refreshed I feel each morning.   I opted for abstinence instead of moderation for simplicity.  Managing moderation would take up too much head space, and I like to sleep ... every night.

I worried about social situations being awkward but haven't found that to be the case.  A simple "no thank you" is all it takes.  And I allow myself to spend $ on kambucha or fancy teas that I really enjoy without guilt.

I anticipate I will stay AF indefinitely.  It works for me.

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1513 on: April 28, 2023, 07:51:31 AM »
I'm coming up on 3 weeks AF this time, and this time I really am noticing some positive differences in how I feel. I do feel more rested, and I'm finding it a LOT less difficult to stay AF. I've been following the lessons and doing the exercises for The Alcohol Experiment (not EVERY day, but I *am* doing them diligently), and I've been listening to a lot of health podcasts. I think all this helps with just not even wanting to drink, which has been a surprise. I already knew all the ways that alcohol is bad for you, yet I still craved it. But now, I just don't even crave it.

And - I've been keeping some NA beers on hand (I know not everyone agrees with that, but it is helpful for me as sometimes I truly just want the taste of a good beer), and have found the BrewDog AF options to be particularly fantastic.

Happily, I've also been losing weight this time. I was already (very) slowly losing some weight since the beginning of the year, but in the few weeks I've been AF, I've lost about 4 or 5 pounds.

I cannot stress how important these positive changes are in keeping up my motivation. Last time, I made it to 3 months alcohol free but just had not experienced really ANY of these positive changes. So even though I knew it was much healthier, I wasn't *feeling* the benefits, and that made it feel like more of a sacrifice. This time, it's not really feeling like a sacrifice at all.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1514 on: April 28, 2023, 09:49:11 AM »
I'm coming up on 3 weeks AF this time, and this time I really am noticing some positive differences in how I feel. I do feel more rested, and I'm finding it a LOT less difficult to stay AF. I've been following the lessons and doing the exercises for The Alcohol Experiment (not EVERY day, but I *am* doing them diligently), and I've been listening to a lot of health podcasts. I think all this helps with just not even wanting to drink, which has been a surprise. I already knew all the ways that alcohol is bad for you, yet I still craved it. But now, I just don't even crave it.

And - I've been keeping some NA beers on hand (I know not everyone agrees with that, but it is helpful for me as sometimes I truly just want the taste of a good beer), and have found the BrewDog AF options to be particularly fantastic.

Happily, I've also been losing weight this time. I was already (very) slowly losing some weight since the beginning of the year, but in the few weeks I've been AF, I've lost about 4 or 5 pounds.

I cannot stress how important these positive changes are in keeping up my motivation. Last time, I made it to 3 months alcohol free but just had not experienced really ANY of these positive changes. So even though I knew it was much healthier, I wasn't *feeling* the benefits, and that made it feel like more of a sacrifice. This time, it's not really feeling like a sacrifice at all.

This is awesome, I love reading this!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: May 04, 2023, 01:43:02 PM »
Stayed AF in April.  May will be mostly AF - I had a glass of wine while hosting a family gathering on May 1.  It was meh 🙂 Planning to have some sort of alcohol at my sister-in-law’s birthday celebration on the weekend.  Back to AF after that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1516 on: May 04, 2023, 01:59:23 PM »
Stayed AF in April.  May will be mostly AF - I had a glass of wine while hosting a family gathering on May 1.  It was meh 🙂 Planning to have some sort of alcohol at my sister-in-law’s birthday celebration on the weekend.  Back to AF after that.

I'm curious, why are you planning to drink if the wine was "meh"??

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1517 on: May 07, 2023, 12:16:30 AM »

Haha!  The particular white wine I had during the May Day gathering was “meh”.  But the nice red wine I drank with the delicious dinner during the birthday celebration last night was well worth it 🙂  I wish someone would come up with a way to have the taste of a good red without the alcohol…

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #1518 on: May 07, 2023, 04:37:52 AM »

Haha!  The particular white wine I had during the May Day gathering was “meh”.  But the nice red wine I drank with the delicious dinner during the birthday celebration last night was well worth it 🙂  I wish someone would come up with a way to have the taste of a good red without the alcohol…

I love "Red Clay" by Proxies.  At least for me, it fits the bill of tasting like a good red wine without the alcohol.  Thanks to Malcat for the Proxies recommendation.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1519 on: May 07, 2023, 07:11:31 AM »

To be fair, red wine objectively tastes fucking atrocious. It literally smells and tastes like gasoline because that's what ethanol is.

The smell and taste of red wine used to be my favourite thing in the world. I remember pouring my evening glass of after-work red wine and just sticking my nose in the glass and breathing. The smell alone would make my muscles relax and make me feel happy.

But that's because my brain rewired itself to love the smell of wine so that I would drink it and give my brain the alcohol it was craving.

I can still remember what my brain made wine taste like, but it doesn't smell or taste that way now. There's a total mismatch. Now it smells and tastes like gasoline. It stinks so bad that the thought of putting my nose in a glass is gag-inducing, and I can barely choke back a sip of it if I do try it.

Not everyone loses their taste for alcohol when they quit, but many do.

That doesn't help you find an alternative that's as satisfying, but it certainly helped me not miss wine.

I miss enjoying a beverage that much, but I don't miss the implications of my brain pumping up the gustatory enjoyment of a beverage that much just to get me to drink it more often.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1520 on: May 07, 2023, 08:00:00 AM »

I love "Red Clay" by Proxies.  At least for me, it fits the bill of tasting like a good red wine without the alcohol.  Thanks to Malcat for the Proxies recommendation.

Oh! That reminds me I should pick some up and bring it to Newfoundland. I don't think they ship out there.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1521 on: July 23, 2023, 09:02:34 AM »
Speaking of subs and mocktails, I have found Athletic Brewing in the US to have decent alcohol free beers.

It isn't quite the same, but it works very well for summer beer cocktails (Beeraritas and Spaghetts) which are pretty standard in my regional community.

I am pretty happy with where our house has ended up in the last year. This year we basically didn't drink from Jan to late April or so. Have had a couple of social drinks when it sounded good (ie. His parents did a big fancy grill meal when we visited with them and a glass of wine tasted lovely with it). And we've made a few cocktails as a special treat (much like I make fancy desserts a couple times a year as a treat.)

For us, mocktails and alcohol free versions have been very helpful! But cocktails had become our non-water beverage when we wanted something different. So now when we are sick of water we have a few decent mocktails that have become our go-tos.

I suspect we'll average less than a drink a month at the end of this year if our pattern holds.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1522 on: July 23, 2023, 09:10:29 AM »
Speaking of subs and mocktails, I have found Athletic Brewing in the US to have decent alcohol free beers.

It isn't quite the same, but it works very well for summer beer cocktails (Beeraritas and Spaghetts) which are pretty standard in my regional community.

I am pretty happy with where our house has ended up in the last year. This year we basically didn't drink from Jan to late April or so. Have had a couple of social drinks when it sounded good (ie. His parents did a big fancy grill meal when we visited with them and a glass of wine tasted lovely with it). And we've made a few cocktails as a special treat (much like I make fancy desserts a couple times a year as a treat.)

For us, mocktails and alcohol free versions have been very helpful! But cocktails had become our non-water beverage when we wanted something different. So now when we are sick of water we have a few decent mocktails that have become our go-tos.

I suspect we'll average less than a drink a month at the end of this year if our pattern holds.

Athletic Brewing is great!

I've rec'd Monday's 'gin' here before. Unfortunately, I hadn't had any in months and went to my cupboard and realized that since there isn't any booze in it, that means it can grow mold! :duh:  Note to self: refrigerate it after opening if you don't drink it fast!

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1523 on: July 23, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »
I’m loving my alcohol free life. I don’t think of drinking anymore. It’s closing on 17 months of being totally alcohol free and 28 months since I dropped down to almost absolutely no alcohol (about 4 glasses of wine drunk in that 11 month period).

Thank you for everyone here who helped in those first days and weeks when I was getting over the addiction of drinking wine regularly!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1524 on: July 23, 2023, 01:01:06 PM »
I’m loving my alcohol free life. I don’t think of drinking anymore. It’s closing on 17 months of being totally alcohol free and 28 months since I dropped down to almost absolutely no alcohol (about 4 glasses of wine drunk in that 11 month period).

Thank you for everyone here who helped in those first days and weeks when I was getting over the addiction of drinking wine regularly!

So great to hear! I love these updates.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1525 on: July 23, 2023, 02:44:30 PM »

To be fair, red wine objectively tastes fucking atrocious. It literally smells and tastes like gasoline because that's what ethanol is.

I don’t correct people in my ‘This Naked Mind’ groups when they say this, if it keeps you AF then that is more important than being technically correct.  But it does drive me crazy, since I work in oil and gas.  Gasoline is a generic word, and it now does usually contain some ethanol, but you can’t run a car on ethanol unless it is designed specifically for it.  And most people don’t drink crude oil derived gasoline, unless you have a very rare addiction.

I’m 100% aware that this is a whole bunch of nit picking, but Mustachians can handle it a bit better than people who are desperate to quit alcohol and struggling 😄
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 02:47:28 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1526 on: July 23, 2023, 03:23:26 PM »

Athletic Brewing is great!

I've rec'd Monday's 'gin' here before. Unfortunately, I hadn't had any in months and went to my cupboard and realized that since there isn't any booze in it, that means it can grow mold! :duh:  Note to self: refrigerate it after opening if you don't drink it fast!

Thanks! I'm not a gin person, but their mezcal looks like it also has solid reviews - helpful for a beerarita :) I'll check it out!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1527 on: July 23, 2023, 03:34:27 PM »

I don’t correct people in my ‘This Naked Mind’ groups when they say this, if it keeps you AF then that is more important than being technically correct.  But it does drive me crazy, since I work in oil and gas.  Gasoline is a generic word, and it now does usually contain some ethanol, but you can’t run a car on ethanol unless it is designed specifically for it.  And most people don’t drink crude oil derived gasoline, unless you have a very rare addiction.

I’m 100% aware that this is a whole bunch of nit picking, but Mustachians can handle it a bit better than people who are desperate to quit alcohol and struggling 😄

Heh. It's like the conventional wisdom that booze is somehow loaded with sugar and carbs, which is also usually wrong.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1528 on: July 23, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »

LOL! Fair...but it still smells disturbingly like the crap I put in my car.

baludon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1529 on: July 24, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
I was not a heavy drinker though I did a bit of binge drinking on social occasions until my early 40s.  Around that time, I realized that I never really liked alcohol that much and limited my intake to 2 drinks on social events.  My tolerance dropped dramatically. Three years ago, I stopped drinking altogether after getting an intense hangover over one drink.  I've been alcohol free since then.  Not a lot changed for me though except peer pressure to drink no longer affects me.

NoRank

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1530 on: August 10, 2023, 03:18:52 PM »
Thank you to everyone for this thread, which I have followed for a few years now and has been a source of information and inspiration to me.  In addition to your stories, I found Nancy Grace’s work, Huberman’s exegesis and Manson’s video particularly useful.

Manson’s story parallels my own. I drank heavily in my early 20’s, because it was my culture and to alleviate social anxiety.  As I entered my medical training, partying and binge drinking gave way to lower intensity use for stress and for the pleasures of food and wine.  I settled into a pattern of 8-10 per week for decades.  Like Manson, I found that my older body was less tolerant of alcohol.  I was taking antacids after drinking, sleeping poorly half of my nights and developed half-day hangovers if I had 2 drinks.  I would have one later in the evening after living with the stress of the day.  It helped, but like Huberman explained, led to the need for more habitual stretches of drinking.  Eventually I began to identify as someone who simply became anxious and given to dark moods later in life. 

For the last several years I have been cutting back progressively.  Dry Januarys haven't been difficult, but I have usually looked forward to February and resuming my old habits, if somewhat attenuated for awhile.  More recently I have shifted my abstinence efforts from avoiding consequences of drinking to focusing on the positive benefits of drinking.  I rarely find any.  Often, a sip of wine or whiskey often doesn’t spark any joy and tastes bad, and I will not hesitate to pour it out. 

I have been coasting to retirement for the last 3 years or so, and becoming a more serious runner.  That next-day feeling after 2 drinks takes all the enjoyment out of a long run.  As I was training for an ultramarathon I had another shitty run the day after drinking (and not enjoying) a half bottle of wine and sleeping poorly.  I said “fuck this” and stopped altogether until the event.  Wow, between running fatigue and no alcohol I have never slept better.  Also, I have been getting these day long dopamine highs after long runs, something that wasn’t happening with even modest drinking.  After the event I rewarded myself with a craft beer, but poured it out after one sip, opting for a NA beer, which I now prefer (Partake IPA).  I have had alcohol twice since then.  Once was a celebration; the wine didn’t make me happier and I had GERD and bad sleep.  I had a beer the other night.  It felt useless (no enjoyment) though I perceived no harm. 

I was doing pretty well focusing on the disadvantages of drinking much alcohol, but I feel like I’ve crossed over in my relationship with it.  Zero feels qualitatively different.  I know that dabbling with drinking now and again risks pulling me back in.  For me, I think the key has been to be really honest with myself about what the experience of drinking is really like, both in the moment and connecting with my physical and mental states downstream.  Seeing myself in Huberman’s descriptions, Manson’s life, and some of the stories here has been enormously helpful. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1531 on: August 10, 2023, 04:00:34 PM »
Thank you to everyone for this thread, which I have followed for a few years now and has been a source of information and inspiration to me.  In addition to your stories, I found Nancy Grace’s work, Huberman’s exegesis and Manson’s video particularly useful.

Manson’s story parallels my own. I drank heavily in my early 20’s, because it was my culture and to alleviate social anxiety.  As I entered my medical training, partying and binge drinking gave way to lower intensity use for stress and for the pleasures of food and wine.  I settled into a pattern of 8-10 per week for decades.  Like Manson, I found that my older body was less tolerant of alcohol.  I was taking antacids after drinking, sleeping poorly half of my nights and developed half-day hangovers if I had 2 drinks.  I would have one later in the evening after living with the stress of the day.  It helped, but like Huberman explained, led to the need for more habitual stretches of drinking.  Eventually I began to identify as someone who simply became anxious and given to dark moods later in life. 

For the last several years I have been cutting back progressively.  Dry Januarys haven't been difficult, but I have usually looked forward to February and resuming my old habits, if somewhat attenuated for awhile.  More recently I have shifted my abstinence efforts from avoiding consequences of drinking to focusing on the positive benefits of drinking.  I rarely find any.  Often, a sip of wine or whiskey often doesn’t spark any joy and tastes bad, and I will not hesitate to pour it out. 

I have been coasting to retirement for the last 3 years or so, and becoming a more serious runner.  That next-day feeling after 2 drinks takes all the enjoyment out of a long run.  As I was training for an ultramarathon I had another shitty run the day after drinking (and not enjoying) a half bottle of wine and sleeping poorly.  I said “fuck this” and stopped altogether until the event.  Wow, between running fatigue and no alcohol I have never slept better.  Also, I have been getting these day long dopamine highs after long runs, something that wasn’t happening with even modest drinking.  After the event I rewarded myself with a craft beer, but poured it out after one sip, opting for a NA beer, which I now prefer (Partake IPA).  I have had alcohol twice since then.  Once was a celebration; the wine didn’t make me happier and I had GERD and bad sleep.  I had a beer the other night.  It felt useless (no enjoyment) though I perceived no harm. 

I was doing pretty well focusing on the disadvantages of drinking much alcohol, but I feel like I’ve crossed over in my relationship with it.  Zero feels qualitatively different.  I know that dabbling with drinking now and again risks pulling me back in.  For me, I think the key has been to be really honest with myself about what the experience of drinking is really like, both in the moment and connecting with my physical and mental states downstream.  Seeing myself in Huberman’s descriptions, Manson’s life, and some of the stories here has been enormously helpful.

:nods:  I had a similar experience. Hung out lurking on this thread about 6 months before I was ready to really work on reducing my wine with dinner habit, but had a similar shock at how something that had no real obvious negative consequences did in fact have tons of subtle long term consequences. And I no longer want those.

DCteach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1532 on: August 14, 2023, 04:55:48 AM »
Been alcohol free for a bit over a year now. Was never a big drinker to start with, but have still noticed an improvement with my sleep and energy levels. Also a lot on this thread has applied to me with marijuana, which I’ve also been free from for over a year now. Weed has much more of a “pull” on me than alcohol, so it’s been great to feel liberated from that as well.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1533 on: August 14, 2023, 05:21:38 AM »
Thanks to everyone in this thread.

I have never drank alcohol in my life, but have always gotten constantly socially pressured from various people in my life to start drinking. On occasion I think "should I try alcohol?" 🤔

Reading through this thread gives me confirmation that I never want to bother with it. 😀

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1534 on: August 14, 2023, 07:30:57 AM »
Some more inspiration from a popular YouTuber - why i stopped drinking alcohol

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1535 on: December 16, 2023, 08:39:04 AM »
Bumpity bump.... 

Started a 30 day booze free run a few days ago.  Ski season is kind of a bust so far, so without that outlet, these long dark nights+Bell's Hopslam season could get really ugly.   But looking long term, the growing amount of research on the health concerns with alcohol consumption are making me consider some long term change.

Going smoothly so far. I expect by middle of next week I'll have an overproduced youtube video full of stock footage and backed by royalty free music about how amazing my life is and all my problems are solved now that I've given up the hooch.  ;)     

Either that or I'll have a thread on overcoming LaCroix addiction.  :D   

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1536 on: December 16, 2023, 09:31:08 AM »
I've spent 5-6 months AF this year.  I haven't had a drink yet in December, but allowing myself to indulge while I'm home at Christmas.  I don't usually drink much while visiting my family, but a few years ago my sister started the tradition of serving mimosas on Christmas morning, and my brother likes to make fancy cocktails when he hosts family gatherings.

Since finishing my 2 special bottles earlier this year, I have succeeded in not drinking at home, which is my plan going forward.

Over the summer, I had 2 instances where I drank - once at a bar to watch a sports match, and once at work's closing night dinner where there was free leftover alcohol.  In both instances, I had 2 drinks (2 beers, 2 glasses of wine).  The thing I need to remember going forward is HOW BAD the 2nd drink made me feel.  At the time, it seemed like a good idea.  But I really need to hold it to one drink, no matter how long the event lasts.

Other than that, I still have had no noticeable effects from limiting my drinking (so I'm counting on the effects I don't notice).  It's possible my face looks a little better, but I don't spend much time on my appearance, so I'm not sure, and people have always thought I looked younger than I am.

I did try my first Athletic Brewing Co "beer" last week - at my volunteer gig of all places.  I went into the fridge for a sparkling water, and saw them.  I skipped it the first time ("beer" at "work"??), but the next week I decided to use the opportunity to try it.  I liked it (except for the part where my breath was beer-y at work)!  Wish the establishments around here would carry them, but I haven't found one yet :(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1537 on: December 16, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
I've had one drink this year at a social event, and will probably have another at Christmas.  Getting older, I'm finding that it impacts my recovery time from exercise in a noticeable way.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1538 on: December 16, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »
I hit 10 years sober in November.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1539 on: December 16, 2023, 10:07:24 PM »
That's brilliant, congratulations.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1540 on: December 16, 2023, 10:43:08 PM »

Awesome!!

I'm 4 years in a few weeks.

This past year has really driven home the shift from being an ex-drinker to being a non-drinker, to now just not giving it much thought and certainly not conceptualizing any of my identity in relation to a beverage I'm not interested in. It's kind of like how I'm not a juggler or a spoon collector, but I don't think much about those things either, lol.

I did have several moments of profound gratitude for being an established non-drinker, because if I were a drinker, I would have had A LOT of excuses to drink too much. That said, I did spend nearly half the year on opioids, and the first third is super blurry.

The other reason I'm quite grateful to not drink is that I have been put on a prescription for life that cannot be taken with alcohol. Because I already thought about alcohol about as much as I thought about collecting spoons, it was a total non-issue for me.

So yeah, it seems that the longer I don't drink, the less relevant it feels that I don't drink, except when really important stuff comes up that reminds me just how much worse things would be if I were a drinker.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1541 on: December 17, 2023, 01:34:11 AM »

Awesome!!

I'm 4 years in a few weeks.

This past year has really driven home the shift from being an ex-drinker to being a non-drinker, to now just not giving it much thought and certainly not conceptualizing any of my identity in relation to a beverage I'm not interested in. It's kind of like how I'm not a juggler or a spoon collector, but I don't think much about those things either, lol.

I did have several moments of profound gratitude for being an established non-drinker, because if I were a drinker, I would have had A LOT of excuses to drink too much. That said, I did spend nearly half the year on opioids, and the first third is super blurry.

The other reason I'm quite grateful to not drink is that I have been put on a prescription for life that cannot be taken with alcohol. Because I already thought about alcohol about as much as I thought about collecting spoons, it was a total non-issue for me.

So yeah, it seems that the longer I don't drink, the less relevant it feels that I don't drink, except when really important stuff comes up that reminds me just how much worse things would be if I were a drinker.

Agreed.  It's not really a part of my identity anymore.  I do still go to group (Lifering, not AA), but it's more to offer support for others than fighting any demons of my own.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1542 on: December 21, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
I had a tiny amount of alcohol (like a ridiculously small amount of champagne in a glass so I could refill it with sparkling water at a work event) and I felt like crap for 2 days after!  How did I ever drink this poison regularly!  I must've been young and bulletproof, or just oblivious to how crappy I felt most of the time.  Never going back, just like I'm not going to pick up my Taco Bell habit again either :)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1543 on: December 21, 2023, 01:15:31 PM »
I had a tiny amount of alcohol (like a ridiculously small amount of champagne in a glass so I could refill it with sparkling water at a work event) and I felt like crap for 2 days after!  How did I ever drink this poison regularly!  I must've been young and bulletproof, or just oblivious to how crappy I felt most of the time.  Never going back, just like I'm not going to pick up my Taco Bell habit again either :)

It is funny when you stop regular drinking how noticeable the effects are. 

My husband no longer drinks regularly. He had a second beer out to dinner last night and then had the 3 a.m. anxiety wakefulness, even though he went to bed feeling fine several hours after drinking those beers.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1544 on: December 25, 2023, 09:21:28 AM »
How long does it take to lose tolerance to alcohol? I stopped drinking for 9 months a few years ago. Noticed that I did have a lower tolerance when I started again, but it was nothing like feeling bad after a glass of champaign or getting drunk after a couple of beers

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1545 on: December 25, 2023, 10:15:56 AM »
How long does it take to lose tolerance to alcohol? I stopped drinking for 9 months a few years ago. Noticed that I did have a lower tolerance when I started again, but it was nothing like feeling bad after a glass of champaign or getting drunk after a couple of beers

My understanding is that after two months of abstinence your body is no longer accustomed to the poison . . . so your tolerance should be about as low as it ever will be.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1546 on: December 25, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »

My understanding is that after two months of abstinence your body is no longer accustomed to the poison . . . so your tolerance should be about as low as it ever will be.

Yeah, that's my impression. I rarely drink now, just a few occasions every year. I never had super high tolerance even when drinking regularly... I'd get a buzz after 2 drinks, notably impaired after 3. Nowadays it's a buzz after 1, notably impaired after 2.  Which I think is likely how I was way back in the day when I started drinking. I can't really compare hangovers b/c I've only had a handful of hangovers in my life, despite decades of daily drinking. My impression is that even 1-2 drinks really disrupts sleep now in a way that 3 used to.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1547 on: December 27, 2023, 09:46:45 PM »
NotJen, I love Running Wild made by the Athletic Brewing Company. I love the taste of beer and this is a rare AF beer that has great taste.  Plus it’s low in calories. I spent most of my life as a non-drinker until I married for the third time at 50 and my husband convinced me to begin. It was a bad idea as it interfered with my sleep and made me fat. I’m now at 3.5 years.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1548 on: December 29, 2023, 09:35:13 PM »
I've been drinking pretty minimally lately (something like 1-3 drinks per week), and am planning to fully commit to Dry January. Then I'll potentially keep it rolling for a few months since I have so many auditions in the first few months of the new year.

Lately when I have been drinking, I've been trying to err towards drinking earlier in the evening (5-7) so that my body has more time to process it out before I go to bed. I recently had a couple drinks after a show and it totally ruined my sleep and half the next day. The timing really makes a huge difference.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1549 on: December 29, 2023, 10:29:20 PM »
I've been drinking pretty minimally lately (something like 1-3 drinks per week), and am planning to fully commit to Dry January. Then I'll potentially keep it rolling for a few months since I have so many auditions in the first few months of the new year.

Lately when I have been drinking, I've been trying to err towards drinking earlier in the evening (5-7) so that my body has more time to process it out before I go to bed. I recently had a couple drinks after a show and it totally ruined my sleep and half the next day. The timing really makes a huge difference.

A couple weeks ago I was traveling with a friend who is a near teetotaler, so I limited myself to a few drinks, spaced out between lunch and dinner. It was a good chance to experiment with my last drink and sleep quality. I need to finish around 630p to get a good night's rest by 10p, maybe 730p if it's just one small drink.

I had my last drink on Dec 21 and I'll stay sober through January. I also have 6 mo. and 1 yr. in mind to see if long-term makes a difference. I'm in a weird spot right now with job searching and I want to make sure I'm operating at 100% at all times.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!