Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 310726 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #1200 on: September 25, 2021, 11:40:55 PM »
@Malcat I used it three times and then didn't need it as backup for not drinking, so I don't think it ever affected my dreams. But I have always been a crazy semi-lucid dreamer anyway. Lots of adventure dreams. Way better now I am not drinking.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1201 on: September 26, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »
I was on low dose naltrexone for a few months as an experimental treatment for an autoimmune issues, and I didn't notice the dream thing (or any other effects).  However, I have taken dopamine agonists on and off for decades, and some of those...holy shit...the insane dreaming, the auditory hallucinations...yikes.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2021, 04:46:23 PM »
I'm at three weeks without any alcohol tonight and that part has surprisingly not been too difficult.  Unfortunately I've been more depressed than normal for the past 3-4 weeks or so as well, so I'm not sure I'm really noticing any differences either way from not drinking.  But at least I'm proving I can do it, even when I'm not in a good place. 

I've only noticed some cravings when I grocery shop, since that's where I normally buy my alcohol.  And it's not a super visceral craving, it's more of a "meh, I wish I could get some for tonight" thought that passes once I go past the beer garden and reach the cash register. 

For now I'm thinking I don't know if I want to go back to the way I was drinking, where it was once a week and 2-6 drinks at a time.  I'm thinking of maybe allowing it for special occasions.  But for now I'll be waiting till at least mid-October to finish my 30 days and then in preparation for my treatment.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1203 on: October 04, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
Congratulations on 3 weeks @TheFrenchCat !

Seeing this thread pop up, made me realize that I hit the 6 month mark...yesterday! So glad I took on this challenge and thanks again to this thread, and all the support - especially in those early days!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: October 04, 2021, 10:12:08 PM »
French Cat, it wasn't until right near the end of the 30 days that I got any improvement in mood at all.  It's not unusual for that to take 1-3 months, so don't assume you won't seem improvement just b/c you haven't yet.

Excellent job on 3 weeks! 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1205 on: October 05, 2021, 04:59:50 AM »
Congratulations on 3 weeks @TheFrenchCat !

Seeing this thread pop up, made me realize that I hit the 6 month mark...yesterday! So glad I took on this challenge and thanks again to this thread, and all the support - especially in those early days!

That's amazing, how has it been?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1206 on: October 05, 2021, 05:00:15 AM »
French Cat, it wasn't until right near the end of the 30 days that I got any improvement in mood at all.  It's not unusual for that to take 1-3 months, so don't assume you won't seem improvement just b/c you haven't yet.

Excellent job on 3 weeks!

Lol, yeah, I was not a happy camper for the first few weeks.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1207 on: October 05, 2021, 05:41:58 AM »
Thanks @LeftA. Congratulations to you too, that's wonderful!  I hope it's been going well for you. 

And thanks for the info, wenchsenior.  That's really good to know.  Maybe I'll try going another month or two without any and see what that does.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: October 05, 2021, 02:25:38 PM »
And thanks for the info, wenchsenior.  That's really good to know.  Maybe I'll try going another month or two without any and see what that does.
My moods/stress levels improved after 2-3 months but so gradually that I didn't really notice until one day I realised I hadn't been grinding my teeth in my sleep anymore, that I wasn't getting as irritated as easily, and that my baseline mood was just *higher*. It was very subtle but like this low-level of grit was removed from my machinery.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1209 on: October 05, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »
My moods/stress levels improved after 2-3 months but so gradually that I didn't really notice until one day I realised I hadn't been grinding my teeth in my sleep anymore, that I wasn't getting as irritated as easily, and that my baseline mood was just *higher*. It was very subtle but like this low-level of grit was removed from my machinery.

Same, I realized that I was finding things irritating less often after awhile. Like, I didn't consciously feel better, I just noticed that I hadn't felt intensely irritated by the things that normally were very aggravating. Then I asked DH if I was generally happier and calmer and he said "absolutely!"

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: October 05, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
I have not completely eliminated alcohol but have cut back dramatically over the past several months. I’ve been dealing with a very difficult family matter and made a conscious decision to avoid using alcohol as a coping mechanism. I may go weeks without it and if I have a drink (nearly always wine) it’s 1-2 glasses at the most, but never in an attempt to alleviate stress.

Over the past several weeks I’ve begun to recognize that when I do drink, it causes me to have anxiety. I’ve found this to be an interesting observation and it was never something I could have noticed when I would have wine most nights of the week and deliberately had it to help me cope with stress. The more time that goes by, the more I consider eliminating it entirely as I’m just not finding it to be enjoyable anymore. In fact, I find it to have a real negative affect on my own mental health.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:04:17 PM by iluvzbeach »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1211 on: October 08, 2021, 10:14:12 AM »
I was so excited when I lost my taste for wine.

I've now been on a no/low drink experiment (? for lack of a better word) since January. Was almost totally dry from Jan-April. And was really annoyed that I had not lost my taste for booze come May.

Have had drinks on and off since May. Some weeks I have none, and other weeks I'll have several as social situations and my own wishes dictate.

But interestingly, I started losing my taste for most drinks about six weeks ago! I would pour a drink and take a few sips and toss it. Or finish it, but feel distinctly unsatisfied. There was one Saturday where I ended up making three separate drinks and just finishing none of them because they weren't hitting right. It was weird!  I had to travel for work last week and at a meal with clients ordered an aviation (usually one of my favorites) and the first two sips were lovely and then they weren't.

The one drink that still tastes fantastic to me is a margarita. StarHus and I have Sunday margaritas on our patio sometimes and that is the best! But lemon and lime are my favorite flavors in the world so I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm going to see if I can find de-alcoholized tequila (is that a thing?!) and do margaritas that way. 

I am so excited that I am finally losing my taste for drinks!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1212 on: October 08, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
I just heard of a non alcoholic tequilla, I was like What??? Can't seem to find the name in my emial I will post it if I find it maybe a google search? It becan with a p I thought.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1213 on: October 08, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »
I'm on the same timeline as @LeftA.  I did the Alcohol Experiment six months ago and have been AF since.  I learned about that program through this thread and it was life changing for me.  I've done dry months here and there but white nuckled my way through them with will power.  The Alcohol Experiment really opened my eyes to the science and how detrimental alcohol really is.  It almost completely curbed by desire for alcohol making quitting fairly easy.

The most remarkable impact for me was how well I am sleeping!  I didn't realize how much alcohol was affecting my sleep, and now enjoy glorious and refreshing sleep nearly every night.

Getting through social situations has thankfully been a non issue.  I just say "no thank you" and we all carry on having fun.  Really, no one cares if I am drinking or not.  And it's actually quite rare for me to socializing while others are drinking.  Most of my social time is out on the trail network which a far prefer to parties.

Yesterday I both gave my retirement notice at work (exciting but very unsettling) and found out my unvaccinated dad contracted covid.  I wanted wine last night to help settle my nerves but went with Cheezies instead.  This AM I am grateful I made that choice.  Wine doesn't solve anything.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1214 on: October 09, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »
I just heard of a non alcoholic tequilla, I was like What??? Can't seem to find the name in my emial I will post it if I find it maybe a google search? It becan with a p I thought.

Ritual Zero Proof seems to be the brand that I am finding mentioned. Great Reviews! I ordered a bottle.

They also have gin, whiskey, and rum alternatives.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1215 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:00 PM »
Today's day 30.  Still no real changes that I can tell, though I'm glad I tried it.  I kind of miss drinking, but it wasn't very difficult to take this break, which I feel very grateful for.  And I'm not super anxious to get straight back to drinking, and I definitely don't want to drink in response to negative emotions anymore.  So I think I'll limit myself to social drinking (I don't get out much, so this wouldn't be an every week, or even every month thing), or cider that I rarely make myself.   

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1216 on: October 14, 2021, 12:06:50 PM »
Biker, sorry about your dad but great news about the alcohol. At almost 15 months I am so glad to be AF.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1217 on: October 14, 2021, 12:42:09 PM »
I was reading a buzzfeed article and saw non alcoholic beer being marketed as a working from home beverage.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: October 27, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »
I drank too much during lock-down. Big surprise. As a result, last year I didn't drink alcohol for 30 days (November 2020). I'm doing the same thing again this year during October 2021. No alcohol for 30 days.

It's going pretty well. I think I crave the sugar more than the buzz. The first couple of nights, I subbed a bowl of ice cream instead of a whiskey on the rocks. 

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #1219 on: November 13, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
I want to stop the habit of drinking on a quiet Friday or Saturday night in. I usually crack a couple drinks with dinner, then pop in a movie and crack a few more... then the next morning I'm hungover and waste most of the day. I have just as much fun hanging out with my spouse not drinking on such a night.

Last night was a success, feeling fresh this Saturday morning. We had popcorn then doughnuts with the movie. Funny how I get worried about calories/sugar intake when eating a single doughnut, when a previous Friday might see me consume 5 craft beers.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: November 13, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
I was reading a buzzfeed article and saw non alcoholic beer being marketed as a working from home beverage.

I believe it! My office has a pretty big drinking culture and we actually had to tell some folks to knock it off in the middle of the day when we were at the worst of the pandemic/lock down.

Also to update- I tried the Ritual Zero Proof tequila substitute and it was pretty solid. It made a good faux poloma.

I also bought a bottle of Seedlip non alcoholic distilled stuff and didn't love it. Just tasted like adding a watered down cocktail to my mixers.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: November 13, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
This month is 8 years sober for me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1222 on: November 13, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
That's awesome stuff. Congratulations.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1223 on: November 14, 2021, 06:54:58 AM »

Yep, big congrats!

I'm creeping up on two years, and was at a big wedding last night. Events like this no longer make me specifically crave drinking, but like I've reported before, they make me very cranky about not drinking when I have no beverage options.

I'm kind of spoiled by my major city where almost every venue has non alcoholic beer and usually a mocktail menu, but I'm in rural New Brunswick, and the bus shuttle driver had a small bag of beer by his feet...so yeah...

It was also FREEZING cold at the venue, so cold soda water wasn't very appealing, and I was definitely nostalgic for the days of drinking a nice slightly below room temperature red wine that would make me feel warm.

So that still remains my last slivers of missing drinking, which has nothing to do with craving alcohol, just frustration with not having great alternatives, which makes the memories of drinking alcohol seem attractive for fleeting, frustrated moments.

I'm sure these will pass eventually as I do more and more events like this. With covid I haven't had to get used to being sober at drinking events, so it's still an adjustment.

That said, in NO way did I actually want to drink alcohol or did I consider doing it. Actually drinking holds no appeal for me. I just get pouty in environments where not drinking isn't treated like an adult, sophisticated thing to do.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1224 on: November 14, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »

Wow! That's fantastic!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1225 on: November 16, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »

Wow! That's fantastic!

Thank you both!  I find the biggest positive it gives me is the ability to be present in my own life.  Drinking had really robbed me of that & I didn't even realize it when it was happening. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:25:09 PM by Tyson »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1226 on: November 17, 2021, 05:29:24 AM »

Wow! That's fantastic!
Thank you both!  I find the biggest positive it gives me is the ability to be present in my own life.  Drinking had really robbed me of that & I didn't even realize it when it was happening

Huge congrats.

I totally relate to this. Alcohol really pulls you out of your life, which is the appeal for people who stress drink, but then you're just disconnected from your own life without realizing it.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1227 on: December 09, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
Yesterday marked one year booze free for me. Don't miss a single drop :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1228 on: December 09, 2021, 07:26:38 AM »
Yesterday marked one year booze free for me. Don't miss a single drop :)

Amazing! One year is a big deal.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1229 on: December 09, 2021, 07:37:21 AM »
I am doing well through this last month.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1230 on: December 09, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
It has been 2 years and almost 4 months. I am on vacation and I tasted a beer on the fishing boat, thought I might enjoy one, it came with the boat trip, like everything here included drinks. It was yeasty and foamy like the yeast from the bottom of the keg, yuck. I had one sip and said dump it I will have tonic water. Next day I am glad that I didn’t drink it. I think I have been triggered lately hanging out with drinkers and my ex is drinking after almost 2 years without it, and we did quit together and still hang out quite a bit. Today my short term goal is make it until next year for 2 calendar years, and that’s in 21 days.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1231 on: December 09, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »
It has been 2 years and almost 4 months. I am on vacation and I tasted a beer on the fishing boat, thought I might enjoy one, it came with the boat trip, like everything here included drinks. It was yeasty and foamy like the yeast from the bottom of the keg, yuck. I had one sip and said dump it I will have tonic water. Next day I am glad that I didn’t drink it. I think I have been triggered lately hanging out with drinkers and my ex is drinking after almost 2 years without it, and we did quit together and still hang out quite a bit. Today my short term goal is make it until next year for 2 calendar years, and that’s in 21 days.

Interesting that your tastes changed.  I quit daily drinking almost 3 years ago, but never had the goal of never drinking another drink, just wanted to change my sense of identity away from being 'a drinker'. The handful of drinks I did have the first couple of years were fine, and still tasted good to me.  But then I ended up slipping into going a little over a year without drinking anything. On Thanksgiving, my husband really wanted glass of wine with dinner but was working himself up with anxiety not wanting to drink in front of me if I wasn't having any.  I didn't want him to stress out, so I asked him to just pour me a third of a glass of wine.  And for the first time since I quit daily drinking, it tasted different!  Very sharp and vinegary!  I was so surprised, I looked to see if he liked it and he drank it like everything was fine.

So apparently my taste buds finally changed, too, at least in regard to wine. It did take quite a while. I wonder if the same will happen with beer and whiskey eventually (or maybe already has....I haven't had beer in almost 2 years)?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1232 on: December 09, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »
I can't even stand the smell of alcohol anymore. I can smell it on DH across the room on the very rare occasions that he has a single beer.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1233 on: December 09, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
I can’t drink red anymore at all. It tastes too alcoholic and heavy.

I can occasionally have some white wine. I think it’s because it is more sugary. It’s been over 8 months since I cut out alcohol. For the last couple of months, I have had a total of 2-3 glasses of white per month (this is cumulatively as I sometimes pour one to two thirds of a glass).  I’m in a good place.

Congratulations to all who have milestone dates recently!

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #1234 on: December 09, 2021, 01:18:27 PM »
I can't even stand the smell of alcohol anymore. I can smell it on DH across the room on the very rare occasions that he has a single beer.

I confirmed that I lost my taste for it around sometime this summer after about 6 months. This is something I've noticed, too. whenever my wife has a cocktail or glass of wine, she smells boozy to me. I don't think I have the same super-human sensory perception as Malcat, but when she's next to me I can very obviously tell that she has had a drink, even something like wine or beer, which I had never been able to notice when I was also partaking. Go figure.

Rounding the corner on 12th calendar month w/o alcohol. Jan 1st will make a year for me. Has been an incredibly pleasant experience overall and I'm not really planning to drink once the year is over. Hooray for positive and lasting change.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1235 on: December 09, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »

I confirmed that I lost my taste for it around sometime this summer after about 6 months. This is something I've noticed, too. whenever my wife has a cocktail or glass of wine, she smells boozy to me. I don't think I have the same super-human sensory perception as Malcat, but when she's next to me I can very obviously tell that she has had a drink, even something like wine or beer, which I had never been able to notice when I was also partaking. Go figure.

Rounding the corner on 12th calendar month w/o alcohol. Jan 1st will make a year for me. Has been an incredibly pleasant experience overall and I'm not really planning to drink once the year is over. Hooray for positive and lasting change.

I've never met anyone who does, it's my super power. It's not exactly fun that I can smell cat pee from 2 floors away, or that someone 15 feet from me has active gum disease.

Also, I do intermittent fasting and the smell of ketosis is overwhelming to me. DH can't smell it, but to my own nose, I stink to high heaven, like a combo of burnt popcorn and nail polish remover. It's fucking awful.

Worst super power ever.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #1236 on: December 09, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »
@Malcat , I have an intense sense of smell too. I think I probably also smell what you’ve mentioned, but am just not able to identify it as such (I.e. gum disease, keto acidosis, etc.). I concur it can be more of a curse than a blessing!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: December 09, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »
Congrats to Tyson, Bike and anyone else I missed:)).  I am at 16 months. I actually didn’t drink for 14 years and am mad at myself for letting my then husband talk me into it.  It was much harder to quit than the previous time because over time I developed a daily drinking routine. Even now occasionally I am tempted but then pretty quickly dismiss it.  My best friend and her husband quit a few days after me and are both still sober.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1238 on: December 10, 2021, 07:47:02 AM »
A couple years into examining my relationship with alcohol and I wonder if I just should have just done the Annie Grace 30 day thing :)

By the end of the summer I would have said I reached a perfect balance of booze in my life: a few social drinks on vacation, the occasional margarita on deck with my husband while my kids watched a movie and that was about it. I was going weeks at a time without a drink and without thinking of a drink.

As the cold weather sets in my muscle and joint pain has gotten worse and voila! I find myself wanting a drink before bed. The pain reducing/muscle relaxing/deadening of a drink becomes much more desirable when I hurt more.

This is the start of my third winter of really being conscious of my intake, and it is the first time I've drawn the connection between pain and wanting a drink (I think because I've finally accepted that my pain is chronic and not something that will just get fixed if they could just DX something). Anyways, just thought it was interesting and worth mentioning in case anyone else finds it useful.

Congrats to everyone who has gone so long!!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 07:55:23 AM by StarBright »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: December 10, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
A couple years into examining my relationship with alcohol and I wonder if I just should have just done the Annie Grace 30 day thing :)

By the end of the summer I would have said I reached a perfect balance of booze in my life: a few social drinks on vacation, the occasional margarita on deck with my husband while my kids watched a movie and that was about it. I was going weeks at a time without a drink and without thinking of a drink.

As the cold weather sets in my muscle and joint pain has gotten worse and voila! I find myself wanting a drink before bed. The pain reducing/muscle relaxing/deadening of a drink becomes much more desirable when I hurt more.

This is the start of my third winter of really being conscious of my intake, and it is the first time I've drawn the connection between pain and wanting a drink (I think because I've finally accepted that my pain is chronic and not something that will just get fixed if they could just DX something). Anyways, just thought it was interesting and worth mentioning in case anyone else finds it useful.

Is your pain present in the morning, too? I find starting every day with an epsom salt bath and then ten minutes of strategically placed small ice packs very beneficial.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1240 on: December 10, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »

As someone who specializes in treating chronic pain, this is the toughest hurdle I needed to get patients over. Answers don't equal relief. If anything l, getting answers tends to correlate with getting worse, because when things get worse, that can sometimes reveal the pattern that couldn't be seen before.

Alcohol as a painkiller though is a dangerous approach because it 100% worsens the pain overall.

I can't remember whether it was Allen Carr or Annie Grace who gave this analogy, but they said drinking was like having a rash and applying an ointment that have instant relief from the rash, but when the relief wore off, the rash was even worse. So the more you use the ointment, the worse the rash gets over time, but the more you feel the urgent need for the relief of the ointment.

Eventually you're overwhelmed by this horrific, itchy, painful rash all over your body and feeling the need nightly to slather yourself in tubes of the ointment just to get to sleep.

But you're convinced that the ointment is helping you because when you apply it, it makes the rash that it worsened feel a lot better.

Here's a fun fact as well:
If your brain identifies pain as a reliable trigger to get you to drink, your brain will actually amplify your perception of that pain, and lower your capacity to tolerate it so that you will be more likely to drink.

Remember, if your brain wants alcohol, it will gaslight the fuck out of you to make you think that *you* want alcohol.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1241 on: December 10, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »
Not to derail the thread around this sense of smell topic (a few posts above), but I also have an intense sense of smell.  Back in '95 while hugging my grandmother goodbye, I could smell something weird and made note of it.  Lo & behold just a few days later it was learned she had a massive staghorn calculus in her right kidney that had killed her kidney and it was rotting inside her body.  They removed her kidney, all the infection, etc. and she moved forward with life.  Fast forward to 2014 during a visit to see her and I smelled the weird/off smell again.  Just a few months later she was diagnosed with bladder cancer and died from it exactly two months to the day afterward.

Am I like a dog who can detect cancer?  Is this just coincidental or was I truly smelling these things going on inside her body?

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1242 on: December 10, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
Not to derail the thread around this sense of smell topic (a few posts above), but I also have an intense sense of smell.  Back in '95 while hugging my grandmother goodbye, I could smell something weird and made note of it.  Lo & behold just a few days later it was learned she had a massive staghorn calculus in her right kidney that had killed her kidney and it was rotting inside her body.  They removed her kidney, all the infection, etc. and she moved forward with life.  Fast forward to 2014 during a visit to see her and I smelled the weird/off smell again.  Just a few months later she was diagnosed with bladder cancer and died from it exactly two months to the day afterward.

Am I like a dog who can detect cancer?  Is this just coincidental or was I truly smelling these things going on inside her body?

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

With my mom it was a dead kidney from a blood clot!!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1243 on: December 13, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »

Is your pain present in the morning, too? I find starting every day with an epsom salt bath and then ten minutes of strategically placed small ice packs very beneficial.

It is! It is the worst in the morning. Sadly we do not have a tub in our bathroom, just a shower. But my husband does keep a tiny fridge in our bedroom office, I could keep some cool packs in there. Thanks!

If your brain identifies pain as a reliable trigger to get you to drink, your brain will actually amplify your perception of that pain, and lower your capacity to tolerate it so that you will be more likely to drink.

Remember, if your brain wants alcohol, it will gaslight the fuck out of you to make you think that *you* want alcohol.

This was the thing I really noticed. I knew that I had really gone months having a pretty healthy idea of what I actually wanted and all of the sudden I was achy at night and would go "OOHH A drink would make me feel better" and this was several nights running.

Which honestly didn't even happen when I made a conscious decision to stop cold turkey for a while last year.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1244 on: December 13, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

It is! It is the worst in the morning. Sadly we do not have a tub in our bathroom, just a shower. But my husband does keep a tiny fridge in our bedroom office, I could keep some cool packs in there. Thanks!

This was the thing I really noticed. I knew that I had really gone months having a pretty healthy idea of what I actually wanted and all of the sudden I was achy at night and would go "OOHH A drink would make me feel better" and this was several nights running.

Which honestly didn't even happen when I made a conscious decision to stop cold turkey for a while last year.

I have suffered chronic body pain since adolescence, and I also fell into the trap of associating pain relief with alcohol. I'm happy to report that once I kicked the drinking habit, while pain still triggers me, I recognize that my pain has not objectively gotten any harder to manage. In fact, it's gotten a bit easier...possibly due to the effect Malcat mentioned, and partly due to the fact that drinking made me mildly depressed and killed my motivation to more proactively act to manage the pain in healthier ways.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1245 on: December 13, 2021, 11:00:19 PM »

I have suffered chronic body pain since adolescence, and I also fell into the trap of associating pain relief with alcohol. I'm happy to report that once I kicked the drinking habit, while pain still triggers me, I recognize that my pain has not objectively gotten any harder to manage. In fact, it's gotten a bit easier...possibly due to the effect Malcat mentioned, and partly due to the fact that drinking made me mildly depressed and killed my motivation to more proactively act to manage the pain in healthier ways.

Your last sentence definitely resonated with me. It's hard to be conscious when you're actively trying to be unconscious.

Another technique I use for pain, and the anxiety that seems to creep in and multiply the pain, is guided imagery messaging.
I have CD's I play in my truck because that is sometimes triggering for me but I'm sure there are other sources.
It really works for me. Anxiety can cause my body to start to feel like a tuning fork but the guided imagery reels it in. I can feel the difference within minutes, but it wasn't that way at first, it took a number of tries before I started to really feel it.
In theory,  guided imagery can be done just by you as a form of meditation, but I've not had much success, I prefer to listen to my CDs.

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1246 on: December 15, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »
StarBright, it's good that you noticed the pattern and explored how and why it was happening.  A very positive trait for living a good and intentional life. :)

On a separate topic, I have noticed that I am king of enjoying the drinking culture, while having no interest in actually drinking. So I feel like I am somehow free-riding off the negative choices of others... Like, hanging out at a beer garden or a cozy wine bar, talking about where the beer/wine came from, looking for a bar that has nice drink options, even just reading an interesting drink menu... No festivals right now due to COVID but I feel like that is also something I would enjoy.

It's kind of like how I love reading reviews of fancy/complicated restaurants. I don't actually like to eat that type of food, but I'm interested to see how they put it together, and what people think about that.

I'm not too stressed about it for my own sake. Nearly all social activities in my adult life have included/revolved around alcohol, so this is not a surprise. But I guess I am a little uncomfortable, like I am encouraging a bad habit. If I'm out with a friend, I slowly sip a NA beer, but maybe she drinks an extra round or two to extend the time we spend together.

I guess it would be good to try and plan other types of outings, but I am a lazy planner right now.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1247 on: December 31, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
Five weeks, started on the 27th -- here we go!

Reading through the last couple pages I realize that's a short time compared to a lot of you, but who knows this could be the start of a longer trend.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1248 on: December 31, 2021, 09:43:27 AM »
@litestache
You plan on five weeks or you have done five weeks?
Any amount of time is great and will lead you to understand you and your body and minds connection to alcohol.

I personally feel that 30 days was not enough for me to get my energy back that it really took almost 2 months for me to feel a dramatic step up in energy YMMV.

Come back for support anytime.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1249 on: December 31, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
@litestache
You plan on five weeks or you have done five weeks?
Any amount of time is great and will lead you to understand you and your body and minds connection to alcohol.

I personally feel that 30 days was not enough for me to get my energy back that it really took almost 2 months for me to feel a dramatic step up in energy YMMV.

Come back for support anytime.

Thanks for the support! I started Dec. 27 and I'm planning for five weeks ending Jan 31. It's like an extended dry January.

I could extend that to seven weeks but I'm going on vacay with other functioning alcoholics a few friends mid-Feb. Given the company I think it'd be hard to stay sober through that one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:02:46 PM by LightStache »