Author Topic: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!  (Read 6312 times)

mspym

• Bristles
Re: Give Up the Hooch: Booze Free for as long as you please!
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »

try club soda with bitters.  I've discovered there are all types, and makes the soda feel more "complex" and not necessarily sweet.  But simulates the real thing.

I wonder if this is something you can order in a bar, a bitters and soda?
There is a grapefruit bitters by Fee Brothers that is wonderful.

Absolutely you can - I ask for a soda with a splash of bitters, and also quiz them if they are a craft cocktail bar about what sort of bitters they have.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
I got some of these Fee Brother whiskey barrel aged bitters. With a splash of vanilla in sparkling mineral water, it tastes like a dry unsweet rootbeer. It's lovely.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
I've recently kicked alcohol out of my life completely, want to join me? There aren't many benefits, just saving more cash, effortlessly dropping lbs, more mental clarity, the end of hangovers, and much more time and energy to focus on the things that matter. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't come up here a little more often!

Alright, Onemorebike: I'm in. 

I started drinking when I was 21; I'm 46 now.  With the exception of three weeks in 2014, I have had alcohol in my life on a near-daily/weekly basis for 25 years.  I've long thought about the physical, mental and financial benefits of going sober (and the financial aspect especially since beginning the ways of the Mustache in 2014). 

In fact, if I take my average spending on booze at $200/month and do the MMM thing and calculate investment at 8% return for 10 years, I get:

Nearly $37,000 I could have/could have had.  Damn.

And add to that the mental tiredness, crankiness, lost productivity, and worst of all, the lost joy of living I often experience when I'm sober - and it all adds up to a good idea to give it a rest for a while.  Maybe for a long while.

Today is Day 1.  My goal is to go for 30 days, and possibly longer.  The last time I lived like that I was 20 years old. This won't be easy, and habits are hard to break, but I've done many other hard things in my life so I believe I can do this.

Thanks for this conversation. I'm very glad to see it. And very glad to read all the posts everyone has shared!
This world is real.

Your thoughts matter.

You can change things.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:26 PM »
I've recently kicked alcohol out of my life completely, want to join me? There aren't many benefits, just saving more cash, effortlessly dropping lbs, more mental clarity, the end of hangovers, and much more time and energy to focus on the things that matter. Honestly, I'm surprised it doesn't come up here a little more often!

Alright, Onemorebike: I'm in. 

I started drinking when I was 21; I'm 46 now.  With the exception of three weeks in 2014, I have had alcohol in my life on a near-daily/weekly basis for 25 years.  I've long thought about the physical, mental and financial benefits of going sober (and the financial aspect especially since beginning the ways of the Mustache in 2014). 

In fact, if I take my average spending on booze at $200/month and do the MMM thing and calculate investment at 8% return for 10 years, I get:

Nearly $37,000 I could have/could have had.  Damn.

And add to that the mental tiredness, crankiness, lost productivity, and worst of all, the lost joy of living I often experience when I'm sober - and it all adds up to a good idea to give it a rest for a while.  Maybe for a long while.

Today is Day 1.  My goal is to go for 30 days, and possibly longer.  The last time I lived like that I was 20 years old. This won't be easy, and habits are hard to break, but I've done many other hard things in my life so I believe I can do this.

Thanks for this conversation. I'm very glad to see it. And very glad to read all the posts everyone has shared!
This was me a little over five months ago. Welcome, honestly this stands to be one of the better choices/changes I've ever made. I hope it does the same for you. I can't say enough good things about Annie Grace's book on how to control.alcohol and her 30 day challenge that was free when I did it. Check in often, would love to hear how it goes!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mspym

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:44 PM »
I am twenty days away from a year without booze and it's just going to continue. I stopped because I had turned it into an unhealthy coping mechanism and now it's just not an option for me. I thought I would miss it and I don't. It is so much better inside my head and for the first time in YEARS my weight is creeping down instead of up.

Fancy tea! it's delicious and so much more enjoyment for the price!

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »

[/quote]This was me a little over five months ago. Welcome, honestly this stands to be one of the better choices/changes I've ever made. I hope it does the same for you. I can't say enough good things about Annie Grace's book on how to control.alcohol and her 30 day challenge that was free when I did it. Check in often, would love to hear how it goes!
[/quote]

Yes, I started t'he Annie Grace thing after reading the posts here.  I'm eager to get this going.  Looking forward to brighter days!
This world is real.

Your thoughts matter.

You can change things.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »
OK, I'm in. 

Starting with what's left of July.  Then time for a new outlook, based on social events coming up. :)

Edit: I do have one event planned for July 28th which will center around small amounts of high quality Cognac... will not skip that.  But apart from that...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:02:25 AM by lemanfan »

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
14 days into my one-month challenge. Still at zero drinks! Time for a mid-term write-up:

[blah blah]

Day 29. Situation unchanged. Still sober, still going strong.

So, it's been a while, but I completed the challenge. It was pretty easy actually. It might be my imagination but it seams I have lost some belly fat, which is a nice bonus.

After the challenge finished I haven't been on any binges. Still no drinks on ordinary weekday nights, max 2 on social occasions. After one beer, the next round I go for something alcohol-free.

Great success! Now time for the next challenge!
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/no-smartphoneipadpc-before-breakfast-and-after-9-30-pm/
Who's in to join me?

Leisured

• Bristles
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »
Most of us have a lifelong addiction to tea and coffee, which fortunately does no harm. Tea and coffee are still crutches, though. To be a Devil's Advocate here, what is needed is a compound which gives the same relaxed, merry feel of alcohol, but without the side effects. I do not know if there has been any research on the matter, and I am surprised that alcohol companies do not attempt to discover such a compound.

Tea and coffee change our mental perception of the world, in a small way. I think it is legitimate to try and make the world seem better, so long as one can do so without side effects.

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
Well it's only been a week now, but it seems like so much longer. We've managed to go to 2 parties and stick to not drinking. I suppose that's why it feels longer. Perrier, and Hansen's for the win!
Jack of all trades, master of none

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:37 AM »
Most of us have a lifelong addiction to tea and coffee, which fortunately does no harm. Tea and coffee are still crutches, though. To be a Devil's Advocate here, what is needed is a compound which gives the same relaxed, merry feel of alcohol, but without the side effects. I do not know if there has been any research on the matter, and I am surprised that alcohol companies do not attempt to discover such a compound.

Tea and coffee change our mental perception of the world, in a small way. I think it is legitimate to try and make the world seem better, so long as one can do so without side effects.

Coffee was definitely a crutch for me. I was on 3-4 cups a day (all before 2PM) and I had acid reflux and was antsy. My doctor recommended quitting coffee for a bit. The first 10 days were horrible, massive headaches! After that, I felt 100% better than before. Haven't wanted a coffee since. As for tea, I'm not too sure, I don't drink it much, and if I do, it's green tea or chamomile.

And still, the best thing I've done for my health is quitting alcohol over a year ago. It scares me to look back and see how dependent I was starting to get. The good news is, I haven't wanted a single drop since I quit.

Still addicted to cheese/chips/fries/anything hearty really... can't seem to shake that habit.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »
To be a Devil's Advocate here, what is needed is a compound which gives the same relaxed, merry feel of alcohol, but without the side effects.

Depends on the side effects you are talking about, but there is a compound which gives similar effects without the liver/cancer risks.  Unfortunately itís highly illegal because itís used for date rape

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
Today is my Day 10 w/o alcohol.  I woke up this morning at sunrise, smiling because I felt so good.  I'm getting back to a regular, healthy sleeping habit and mental acuity is increasing.

Reminded me of the Bob Marley song, "Woke up this morning/smiled with the rising sun..."

Increased quality of life and decreased unnecessary expenditures... what could be more Mustachian than that?
This world is real.

Your thoughts matter.

You can change things.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
This! Exactly this! I'm a week away from my six month mark and the immense improvement in the quality of life (and equally large decrease in spending) are mind blowing. I'm better, my relationships are better, my work is better, my play is the best - so glad I embarked on this and especially pleased to be doing it in tandem with fellow mustachians.
Today is my Day 10 w/o alcohol.  I woke up this morning at sunrise, smiling because I felt so good.  I'm getting back to a regular, healthy sleeping habit and mental acuity is increasing.

Reminded me of the Bob Marley song, "Woke up this morning/smiled with the rising sun..."

Increased quality of life and decreased unnecessary expenditures... what could be more Mustachian than that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
I fell of the wagon yesterday, and tripped back into my routine of a meal and a pint or three at my local... had a shitty day at work thought I needed a mood reset.   Bummer.  Well.  Fall down seven times, get up eight times. :)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
Keep on keepin' on, lemonfan. You can do it. Rooting for you!

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Thanks. :)

This place that I ended up on is really a triple threat.  The food and drinks are of course a bit alluring in themselves, but it's also a place where I know all the staff and always can find a smiling face and someone to talk to to bring me up when I have a shitty day. It's also a very VERY well established habit of mine to sit there with a book and read for a while when I'm tired of my own four walls.

But yes, it can be done with a coke instead of a beer.  Just didn't do that.

(And it's "lemanfan", as in "Lac Leman", also known as Lake Geneva.  Not lemon as in the fruit :)  )

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Good luck guys.  I fell off the wagon a bunch of times before I finally stayed on for good.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
Hi friends. I'm almost at a month and I'm having a bit of a depression kick my ass. Please remind me booze won't fix it. Thanks.
If you're torturing yourself to save money, you're just a slave to something else that you don't enjoy.
Journal

mspym

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »
Hi friends. I'm almost at a month and I'm having a bit of a depression kick my ass. Please remind me booze won't fix it. Thanks.

Hey there! Booze is a depressant so will just make it worse. You can do it!

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

Thank you! For some reason I believe it more if someone else tells me.
If you're torturing yourself to save money, you're just a slave to something else that you don't enjoy.
Journal

mspym

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »

Thank you! For some reason I believe it more if someone else tells me.

Always here for a pep-talk
: )

*But seriously my brainspace has got So Much Better since I quit booze. I won't say it's always been easy but it has got easier as I go on and in terms of mood benefits, the closest analogy I have is like when I moved from a gloomy country to a sunny one and became just a much more cheerful person.