Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851458 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3150 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
I thought I was done!  I've been on maintenance mode...

Today I got rid of a stack of clothing I rarely wear but kept in with my daily wear stuff.

I'm (painfully) getting rid of some worn out favorite pants and socks too.

I sorted through my half bin of clothes in storage to get rid of the things that are too small... only to be surprised when they fit!  My old dress pants fit beautifully!  My smallest jeans were snug... a little too much muffin top, but they fit enough to keep. There is reasonable hope that I'll wear them this summer.  This is so great.  If I can work up the self discipline to lose 5 pounds (and the self confidence to rock my wobbly bits) I won't have to buy a new swim suit for my 2 month Euro travels.

12 items ready to go out the door, two are bulk sweaters.  6 more packed up out of sight for a few weeks to see if I miss them. Cut clutter and my shopping list.  A little self confidence and motivation gained.

Researching dying brown linen pants black.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3151 on: February 13, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »
I'm curious what you're referring to as what Americans typically use - are you saying there's a brand called "Tupperware " that's different than what we have he  or that we use entirely different plastic wear that we call Tupperware?

Tupperware is a brand name that's commonly used as a product name, kind of like Velcro, Post-its. There are a lot of them actually.

Yep, this. It took me ages to realise that when Americans say Tupperware, usually they seem to mean any plasticware. I'm happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3152 on: February 13, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Just packed up a big bag of clothes that are either big for me now, need ironing (I have renounced ironing!) or don't work within the 'uniform' of clothes I consistently wear.

Also clearing out crap from the junk room. It's stuff that I could've thrown out months ago, but Mr Happier does better with time to get used to something being set aside for disposal or donation.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3153 on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
A small thing, my niece was visiting and I gave her (and her siblings, who didn't visit today) about half of my remaining stuffed animals.  About a plastic grocery bag full.

The other half will probably be mostly thrown out, they were pretty dirty, yuck!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3154 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
Just sorted through a giant pile of paper clutter. I swear this stuff breeds when I'm not looking.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3155 on: February 14, 2016, 02:35:52 AM »
You guys have made so much progress, I love reading this thread and you've motivated me to clean a few things around my place :)

I'd love to hear how you all handle clutter-attracting hobbies.  My SO is an engineer and tinkerer, who likes to build his own electronics.  It requires a lot of measurement gear, tools, and parts, so a lot of flat surfaces got covered - especially if a project is in progress (which can last for months).  We live in a 600 sqft condo, so there are no places like a basement or garage to banish him to.  The clutter also seems to turn invisible to him after a time and if he decides to drop the project, tons of parts, drawings, and half-done work gets added on top.

Anyone have their own rules, approaches, or thoughts on how to sort through this mess?  What do you do if you decide not to complete a project?  How do you keep clutter from turning invisible?  It's probably already been covered, but how do you get the SO on board? (He knows it's a mess, but he gets overwhelmed by the amount of effort it would take to dive in.  Too bad he's the only one who knows what's important to keep.)

Can you section off an area in the condo to give him an office/workroom to contain his clutter? Our house is only about 650 sqft and I have tried to divide our house and especially our main living room into sections to make it more workable.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3156 on: February 14, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »
I'm curious what you're referring to as what Americans typically use - are you saying there's a brand called "Tupperware " that's different than what we have he  or that we use entirely different plastic wear that we call Tupperware?

Tupperware is a brand name that's commonly used as a product name, kind of like Velcro, Post-its. There are a lot of them actually.

We have that brand here, although there are also several other high or low quality brands I think you're referring to. We hav a set of pyrex we usually use.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3157 on: February 14, 2016, 08:12:25 AM »
Just sorted through a giant pile of paper clutter. I swear this stuff breeds when I'm not looking.

Story of my life.

winostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3158 on: February 14, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »
Can you section off an area in the condo to give him an office/workroom to contain his clutter?

It was a table, but the table became so cluttered, it couldn't be a workspace.

Actually, today he cleaned it up significantly because I told him that if he wanted to move to the next project, we needed a place to put it.  He wants to build floor standing speakers, so we need floor space if we'll ever use them!  I hope this '1 for 1' project idea sticks :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3159 on: February 14, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
You guys are so inspiring. I finally dealt with the one place in the house that I have been putting off sorting for a long time. What a relief (almost). It is spotless and tidy but some of the donations have not gone and that hangs over me.  Tune in next week...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3160 on: February 15, 2016, 01:57:57 AM »
Can you section off an area in the condo to give him an office/workroom to contain his clutter?

It was a table, but the table became so cluttered, it couldn't be a workspace.

Actually, today he cleaned it up significantly because I told him that if he wanted to move to the next project, we needed a place to put it.  He wants to build floor standing speakers, so we need floor space if we'll ever use them!  I hope this '1 for 1' project idea sticks :)

Good.:)

thrax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3161 on: February 15, 2016, 05:01:25 AM »
Hi All.
I'm a bit of a lurker on the MMM forums, don't have anything of financial import to say so I tend more to watch from the sidelines.
Also my partner & I tend to share online accounts for various things so you may see posts by this user name signed by Mark - nothing to worry about and we haven't been hacked.

Anyways, I've not read the entire 60-something pages of this discussion but wanted to add my bit. I'll go back and read more when I have time.

We both got the FIRE bug while touring Europe, in Lisbon, Portugal actually and came home with plans to straighten ourselves up etc.
Initially we were planning on staying in our house but after 3 months back in Australia, I realised that it was more of a burden than anything else so clearing up and selling is now the plan. (We plan to spend our first year of FIRE in Chiang Mai, Thailand, after that who knows.)
Doesn't sound hard, you say, well.....

My house was built in 1929. By my Grandparents. Who managed to raise 4 children through (and just after) the great depression without them noticing any kind of deprivation.
So my family has lived here for 87 years. (Don't get too excited, anything even remotely valuable has been claimed by relatives)
On top of that, my mother passed away about 7 years ago. I swear she wasn't a hoarder - she was just prepared for any situation :). Oh, and she liked collecting vintage and antiques.

So I inherited my grandparents fully furnished encumbered household and then all my Mums' stuff as well. Oh, and I inherited the hoarding tendency too. Lucky me.

I've been intermittently selling stuff on eBay - I've sold maybe $500 worth in the last 4 or 5 months.
I try to make it policy to fill our rubbish bin every week - better than piling up stuff and then paying for a skip (assuming I can fit it in the bin, of course)
I shred anything that looks even remotely like personal information - the shredded paper is used either as packing for fragile eBay items being posted or to line the nesting boxes in the chook house.
If I find anything that belongs to friends/family etc I try to get it back to them. There's not a lot but every little counts.

The biggest impediment, I feel, is my emotional attachment to most of it. And the need to pass it on to someone who might use it.
Intellectually I know most of it is dirty, dusty, possum-piss-riddled rubbish but....

Anyway, I thought I'd drop back into this thread every so often and share whatever progress I may have made. All encouragement gratefully received :)

First Installment:
Sold 4 items on eBay this weekend for a total of $51.50
Tried to return old singer sewing machine to ex friend - she doesn't want it back after all so I'll eBay it soon.
Failed the wheelie bin challenge as I was working most of the weekend and didn't get around to it.
Gave an unsightly folding table and some old shelving to my elderly frugal neighbor. (he's currently using the chipboard shelving as a plant pot holder, go figure)

That went on for longer than I intended, sorry about that.
De'ana

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3162 on: February 15, 2016, 05:19:13 AM »
Hi De'ana.

Regarding the sentimental stuff, it's just that, stuff. You're not giving away / throwing away the memories. Those are yours to keep forever.

With things like that I sometimes take a photo, if I think I need the visual reminder to bring back the memories.

But at the end of the day, they are just things. You can honour your family and history and past in many ways that don't include holding onto everything, and allowing that to impact your life and your dreams.

Hope that helps a bit, and well done with all your progress so far!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3163 on: February 15, 2016, 06:41:20 AM »
I shred anything that looks even remotely like personal information - the shredded paper is used either as packing for fragile eBay items

What a good idea! Thanks for that.

I am going through the same thing. Currently I'm on sets of dishes. There are 2 sets of china and 2 sets of everyday. I think one set of china must be from grandparents since I never remember it being used. Then there are scads of cut glass serving thingies from a more genteel era. I can't even figure out names for some of them. Now is this a "relish dish" or a "butter server"?

I've had a couple of shedding-stuff instances where the recipient was clearly delighted with their item. That helps. I had vintage fur coats which are really hard to get rid of. Listed them on Craigslist without much hope, and a bohemian-looking girl in her twenties took all of them - some to refashion for herself to wear and some to make in to blankets and other art projects. She was absolutely thrilled with her find, and that made me happy.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3164 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »
De'ana, just keep chipping away at it, and eventually it won't seem so daunting. I recently sold a crystal whiskey decanter and glasses set that we got for a wedding present 30 years ago. It had never even been out of the box. I only listed it for $10, but apparently I should have asked for more as there were lots of people that wanted to buy it.

I prefer to sell stuff on Facebook groups or Kijiji (Craigslist) because then I don't have the hassle of packing up and mailing the items. And no fees.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3165 on: February 15, 2016, 12:25:51 PM »
My roommate is moving out this week. She has been living with me for nearly 6 years and had quite an accumulation of stuff throughout the house. I am SO EXCITED for the departure of her things. I have also offered to let her take a number of my things that I know I won't use. I will spend next weekend reorganizing the whole house, mostly the kitchen. I will need to purchase a few things (like drinking glasses), but I look forward to getting items that are just perfect (even though I hate buying things). I REALLY look forward to having things stored exactly how I want them as the roommate and I had different opinions about how to organize shared spaces.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3166 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »
De'ana - being relatively new to the MMM forums, I'm not sure what others feel about the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, but I found it helpful. Yes, it is a bit goofy at times, but I felt the book gave me permission to let things go. I was hanging on to bridesmaid dresses for the sole reason that they were used in a special event (someone else's special event though, not mine). I also started to feel ok about letting go of things I didn't really like but had "paid good money for". The money is spent, it won't come back, so there's no reason to hang onto the thing if there is no purpose for it in my life.  (Also, don't BUY the book! Borrow from a library or download the electronic version.)

Also, if I may, I would like to point you to YouTube and search for Christine Kobzeff or "PinkSoFoxy declutter".  Christine is a lovely woman who used to be a beauty/shopping addict. One day, she decided enough was enough and she really decluttered her life. Now, if you are not a beauty junkie, you will be appalled at the amount of makeup she had, but I would say it's par for the course of what other "beauty gurus" on YouTube have. The point isn't the makeup, the point is the idea of "stuff".  Anyway, to make a long story short, in a few years I have really seen her transform. After that declutter marathon, she and her husband worked hard and then left to travel Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and India for a few months. They came back to Hawaii, where they live, and moved into an even smaller place and she continued to downsize her life. They were even able to take an unplanned trip to Australia and New Zealand as they had spent less money and learned to live on and live with less. Another year later and they were able to leave for the Philippines for a while.

My entire point being-if you are wanting to take off for Chiang Mai for a year and live a nomadic life around the world, you won't be able to do it with things. The ability to be global and not tied to a house means giving up most of your "stuff". Maybe some of the stuff that seems important and sentimental lives in storage or at a relative's house, but when you come back and go through it, I bet you'll wonder why you kept half of it. Be inspired by others journeys. I'm sure there are plenty of other people online who have documented a life of getting rid of stuff and getting the chance to travel the world.

thrax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3167 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses.

I'm finding it easier and easier to let go of "stuff" as I go along. Not looking forward to getting to Mums' things though...

I thought about the photo idea but (and this is embarrassing to admit) we have an unbelievable number of photos - we don't use numbers any more - they're measured in terabytes :(
So if I took photos they'd just end up lost in that mess. And besides, if I can't keep it, I don't want to remember it.
As an aside, I have a memory problem due to epilepsy and medications, so once its' gone, I doubt I'll remember it anyway.

Unfortunately Craigslist in Australia seems to be where you go to buy drugs so that leaves eBay and Gumtree mostly.
I'm going to try a fleamarket stall soon - I'm not currently keen on the idea of a yard sale.

We spent over 12 months living in a 6m (19.5') motorhome in Europe. This is probably when I started realising that life is possible without all those things that we are assured we can't live without.
I will miss some of it and there are plans to stash a few things at the father-in-laws' house but really, almost none of it is irreplaceable so I'm sure I'll survive.
I suppose another problem is the loads of guilt and grief I have about "disappointing" people (mostly my mother) if/when I throw/sell it all.

As soon as my brother-in-law moves out (in about 4 weeks), I'll have his room to expand my sorting into and hopefully things will move a lot faster, yay! :)

De'ana

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3168 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
I suppose another problem is the loads of guilt and grief I have about "disappointing" people (mostly my mother) if/when I throw/sell it all.

She can't be disappointed in you if she has passed away. That may sound harsh, but my father passed away about 20 years ago. This Christmas, my brother, sister, and I all went through the last two boxes of "stuff" that my mom had kept. While we did each take a few items that meant something to us, there was probably half that nobody wanted. If I died today, I wouldn't care what anybody did with my things, even if they all went into the garbage. They only mean something to me and I wouldn't want to saddle my kids with a house full of junk they don't need. (That said, they are in elementary school, so hopefully someone else would take on that task. ;)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3169 on: February 16, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »
Now that I am working part time, I want to go back to making and selling fine art. We had moved most of my art supplies to our cabin in the back yard, but DH ran over the pipe with the key with his lawnmower and broke it, so the water doesn't work, and we don't want to pay to heat the cabin all winter. We moved most of my stuff back to the house. We put my drafting table in a corner of a small room upstairs and I cleared some shelf space for my pastels and a few other supplies. I set up my mat cutter with table and art scanner with its computer and table in the basement. The flat file is in the basement. My main work will be oil painting, and the easel will have to go in the living room. We've cleared out a ton of crap to be able to set these things up so far, but now comes the hardest part: where to store the artwork. I need to make or buy a rack for paintings, etc., and it will have to go in the basement where there is currently a huge pile of old paint cans and supplies, ancient camping gear, tools and other assorted stuff and junk. DH says he's too busy with taxes to help with the sorting and cleanout, although I know he will be supportive about taking stuff to the dump.

Just writing it down now, the whole plan sounds crazy anyway. Is the gallery owner really going to visit my yucky rough basement to view my work? Sometimes we get water in the basement, too. I must be out of my mind! But, I don't see any other options, so, wish me luck. The big cleanout starts today.

Why not install a few picture ledges and have gallery walls? I have seen them in living and dining rooms and hallways and they always look great.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:08:44 AM by pbkmaine »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3170 on: February 16, 2016, 02:11:51 AM »
We had a chest thing as a coffee table, that for a few years held 'fancy dress' clothes. Fancy dress as in costumes, not evening wear. We decided we were a) getting a bit of for fancy dress parties and 2) never rewore anything anway, so we got rid of it all. I had about 8 wigs, and yet each time we went to a party with a new theme, it necessitated a new wig anyway, so I don't know why I kept them.

Anyway, then the chest held my fabric scraps. Well, a few weeks ago, I went through them ruthlessly. Some stuff is useful - scraps of cotton to make waistbands and pocket pieces, some knit scraps which can be used for neckbands. But many were useless, so I took them all to be recycled, and put the useful ones with my dressmaking stuff.

The chest sat empty for a few weeks, which was a lovely feeling.

Last night, we were debating putting party crockery in there, as we entertain a lot, and it's a pain to store it in the garage, as it gets cobwebby and has to be run through the dishwasher before use. But the plates were too wide, and besides, it would be better with something light in there so we can still move it around.

I sold something on ebay, and went to the utility room to get packing supplies - brainwave! Packing supplies in the bench! Light and bulky. Will free up enough cupboard space in the utility room for the party crockery to stay inside, clean and dry.

I was so pleased with myself!

Keep on keeping on, team, it makes such a difference when you are juggling less stuff around. Having the space to move things without first having to move other things out is amazing.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3171 on: February 16, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
Clutter prevention is best - so I just went online and changed all my paper statements to e-statements.  I do almost all my banking online so I hardly look at the paper statements now anyway, since I have seen the transactions post as they happen.  I have so much banking paper, it will be so much easier to just have a file (and backup file) for this instead of a file cabinet full of paper.  I presently have a 4-drawer file cabinet and a 2-drawer file cabinet, and have promised DD the smaller one next time she is here.  A bit of scanning and lots of shredding in my immediate future.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3172 on: February 16, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
Confession time!  I've been slowly cleaning out the storage room downstairs and correcting some un-mustachian accumulation of crap. 

Fishing rods:  I knew I had a way too many fishing rods, Wife and I got a couple of small collapsible rods for lake fishing, I got a couple cheap ones thrown in when I bought a used aluminum boat a few years ago.  I've also bought a few at garage sales when I saw a deal, had a couple damaged rods laying around and just got 2 brand new ones as a gift for Christmas.  So I thought I might have 7 or 8, which is obviously already 5 or 6 too many.  Turns out I had 17 total!  What the actual F@&k!  How did this happen?  Anyway, I will be selling or throwing out all but the new ones and maybe keep one good used backup rod.  Also selling the boat in spring.

Swiss Army Knives:  Kind of the same story, just found a 7th one downstairs.  I bought one years ago, got one as a gift, and most of the rest I bought at garage sales or got for free.  How do you not buy a genuine Victorinox knife when you see it for a $1?  Anyway got to start selling the extra ones and make a profit instead of just throwing them in a drawer.

Tools:  Same goes here, for some reason I've got 2 stud finders, more than 6 hammers, countless redundant screwdrivers, wrenches etc.  I've only got 2 hands and I'm not a contractor, so what the hell, time to thin out the tools too

Face punches welcome and deserved

Update, I have sold 11 fishing rods and 3 tackle boxes I didn't need at auction, I held back the 4 nicest rods until I could see what the cheaper ones would sell for, and they did really well so I'll be dropping off the last 4 this week.  Down to just 2 now :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3173 on: February 17, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
Whomever mentioned KonMari method earlier....I love you.  I have begun KonMari'ng the heck out of the family clothing, and I started with myself.  We have "at least" 15 bags of clothing to give to Goodwill. There are a four items I kept in my closet that I do not wear, however just looking at them "brings me joy".  1) My first interview suit (I'm almost 45); 2) My wedding dress (my daughter loves to play dress up in it); and 3) The sweater I was wearing when my father passed unexpectedly of a heart attack (not exactly joy, but I cannot let it go).  The closets and drawers are amazingly functional now.  DH is not included in the epiphany, but is now happy to be excused from folding duty on anyone else's clothes. I hope the neatness and folding lasts for more than a few weeks....

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3174 on: February 17, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
I brought a few things *in* this weekend - four small baskets for organization.  We don't really shop, therefore no shoe boxes a la Kon Mari and I stumbled across the perfect dimensions at Goodwill.

That being said, there are two grocery bags of stuff ready to go and the joy of not looking at cardboard when I open up the linen closet is totally worth it.

-threw out enough rags so the rag bin wasn't overflowing
-one of the organizers allowed me to clean up our drop zone and donate a fru fru container that didn't work.  Looks much better
-with enough little things gone I know how I want to rearrange the bookshelves (involves buying two things from BB&B)
-DH agreed to donate a kitchen gadget that he doesn't use

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3175 on: February 17, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »
Had a strong coffee this morning and felt compelled to go thru dresser and closet.a  skirt , blouse, and socks to donation bag as well as three packages of flashcards (am not in school) . bra in trash. And future Hub donated several pairs of socks and a few work shirts as well.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3176 on: February 19, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
Similar to riverffasion, I tossed an old bra recently.

Also recently:

Tossed a pair of very holey slippers.

Sold a rice/steam cooker on our local Facebook garage sale site to a friend for $10.  Used twice.  That friend is one who owns chickens, so I gave her a stack of egg cartons.

Tossed a few small, strange odds and ends from the utensil drawer.

Cleaned out my basket of hair accessories, cleaned several, repaired one, and put them all into a baggie to give to the church thrift store.  Also put an old table lamp aside to donate (received a new one for Christmas), and a pair of slippers also a Christmas gift.

Will toss the very old Crock Pot this weekend.  It's lid broke in half two years ago, and I've been using a cookie sheet as a lid.  DH bought me a shiny new one for my birthday earlier this week.  :)

Listed the never used, given as Christmas gift years ago ice cream/fro yo/sorbet maker online earlier this week.

Haven't been able to sell the never worn street motorcycle helmet for months.  A $200 value and asking $50 OBO.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:47:13 PM by MountainGal »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3177 on: February 19, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
Sold a ski helmet on Craigslist for $25.

Threw some coffee filters that don't fit anything I have into the recycling

Got rid of some old vegetable seeds

Slowly filling yet another box for Goodwill.  It's filling much more slowly this time though, which means I must be making progress.

Still feeding scrap wood into the trash each week.  Starting to wish I'd just taken it to the dump.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3178 on: February 20, 2016, 03:35:50 AM »
Whomever mentioned KonMari method earlier....I love you.  I have begun KonMari'ng the heck out of the family clothing, and I started with myself. 

There is a thread on here just about that book.:)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3179 on: February 20, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
Whomever mentioned KonMari method earlier....I love you.  I have begun KonMari'ng the heck out of the family clothing, and I started with myself. 

Link: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/the-life-changing-art-of-tidying-up/

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3180 on: February 20, 2016, 08:37:55 PM »
Cleared a heap of old junk out of my personal email inbox, and completely emptied the inbox and folders for an old email address. I guess I should wait another month or so to make sure nothing important is coming through to that one.

Mr Happier agreed to turn his hangers around the wrong way to see what he never wears. He has 50 hangers of clothes; I think he could release half and still have everything he needs. I get through more clothes than he does (sweatier; more active) and I think I could release 20 of my 55 without an issue. I'm getting there slowly :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3181 on: February 21, 2016, 02:20:29 AM »
Cleared a heap of old junk out of my personal email inbox, and completely emptied the inbox and folders for an old email address. I guess I should wait another month or so to make sure nothing important is coming through to that one.

Mr Happier agreed to turn his hangers around the wrong way to see what he never wears. He has 50 hangers of clothes; I think he could release half and still have everything he needs. I get through more clothes than he does (sweatier; more active) and I think I could release 20 of my 55 without an issue. I'm getting there slowly :-)
I should probably do this. I have 36 items on hangers. 1 wedding dress, 3 fancy dresses, 4(!) Dressing gowns/robes, then shirts/shirts/dresses/jackets. Not because I think I should get rid of any, but just to remind me to mix it up!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3182 on: February 21, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »

I should probably do this. I have 36 items on hangers. 1 wedding dress, 3 fancy dresses, 4(!) Dressing gowns/robes, then shirts/shirts/dresses/jackets. Not because I think I should get rid of any, but just to remind me to mix it up!

It's a neat way to see what you really wear. Plus the vast majority of my clothes are hanging (only have two drawers, which are about 2/3rds full, for non-hanger items) so hangers are where cuts can be made.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3183 on: February 21, 2016, 03:15:48 AM »
^ It is a good technique. I really culled my wardrobe and it is amazing how few items of clothing I actually like and wear.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3184 on: February 21, 2016, 03:52:26 AM »
Ah, I have 3 drawers of clothes as well and maybe a drawer's worth of seasonal items (scarves, gloves, bathers). That said, I'm already pretty much done and happy with my amount :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3185 on: February 21, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
I started a new job a month ago, and I've challenged myself to wear things that I don't often wear.  Last week I found 2 items that just are annoying to wear, so they are going to go.  One is a blazer that looks great on me but I can no longer button, and the other is a sweater with a cowl neck that slides down over my shoulders.  Both are just a bit too annoying.

I'm liking this, it's showing me things in my wardrobe that just aren't working any more though they were great at one time.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3186 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »
It's verge collection day! We've put out two outdoor chairs that were completely beyond repair, an old wicker laundry basket that snagged my delicate clothes, an old tv from the days of tvs deeper than they were wide, and two laptops and one desktop computer all with hard drives removed for security.

The junk room is looking better!!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3187 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
I finally tackled the CDs today only to realize that I have sorted them when I moved during the divorce and only kept the ones I wanted :-(  They are now sitting in a big pile on the floor in the living room and I'm too bummed to even put them back.
So what should I do with them???  There are 2 large drawerfuls. Most of them are music I really like.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3188 on: February 21, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
I finally tackled the CDs today only to realize that I have sorted them when I moved during the divorce and only kept the ones I wanted :-(  They are now sitting in a big pile on the floor in the living room and I'm too bummed to even put them back.
So what should I do with them???  There are 2 large drawerfuls. Most of them are music I really like.

I would save the songs you like to your computer or ipod or whatever in digital form an get rid of the physical copies.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3189 on: February 21, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »
Oh, and I also got rid of a filing cabinet in the bulk rubbish collection! Which I have hated ever since I first laid eyes on it. Heavy and ugly and awful. Happy to have it gone :-)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3190 on: February 21, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »

Link: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/the-life-changing-art-of-tidying-up/

Thank you! I will go there to look. We finished clothing and books are 2/3 sorted. My husband hates the piles, but he does like walking in the closet easily.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3191 on: February 22, 2016, 04:08:44 AM »

I would save the songs you like to your computer or ipod or whatever in digital form an get rid of the physical copies.
Yes, that would be the sensible thing to do... It's going to be an overwhelming task given the number of them.  Plus, it seems I have quite an emotional attachment to a lot of them.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3192 on: February 22, 2016, 06:17:29 AM »
My slippers split so I threw them out. Then I had no slippers... except we have a pile of fancy hotel slippers (many still in the wrappers) WHY? Free stuff is not free when you have to store it! I wanted to get rid of them last year, but DH wanted to keep them (and I have enough of my own stuff to work on without creating conflict).

Anyway, I started wearing the hotel slippers, as I can't throw out perfectly good stuff, and i need slippers. DH borrow my slippers a lot, and after a couple of days said, "I don't know how you can wear those, they just slide off!".

So hang on, we were keeping slippers I didn't want, and he doesn't like. Argh.

I am wearing them out (which doesn't take long since they are flimsy) and I will NEVER take free slippers again because it is a horrible waste of the worlds resources to make such 'disposable' items.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3193 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
Mailed a package to Schoola filled with clothes :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3194 on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
My slippers split so I threw them out. Then I had no slippers... except we have a pile of fancy hotel slippers (many still in the wrappers) WHY? Free stuff is not free when you have to store it! I wanted to get rid of them last year, but DH wanted to keep them (and I have enough of my own stuff to work on without creating conflict).

Anyway, I started wearing the hotel slippers, as I can't throw out perfectly good stuff, and i need slippers. DH borrow my slippers a lot, and after a couple of days said, "I don't know how you can wear those, they just slide off!".

So hang on, we were keeping slippers I didn't want, and he doesn't like. Argh.

I am wearing them out (which doesn't take long since they are flimsy) and I will NEVER take free slippers again because it is a horrible waste of the worlds resources to make such 'disposable' items.

Good call on the hotel items. I used to take everything, but now only the soaps, the one thing I can always make use of.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3195 on: February 22, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
Good call on the hotel items. I used to take everything, but now only the soaps, the one thing I can always make use of.

Even those, only if I like them as much as my own stuff at home. Sometimes I think "now I know a brand to avoid". 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3196 on: February 22, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »

Yes, that would be the sensible thing to do... It's going to be an overwhelming task given the number of them.  Plus, it seems I have quite an emotional attachment to a lot of them.

My roommate has a hobby of ripping CDs to lossless (FLAC) digital...if you want to ship us all your CDs and a hard drive or adequately sized USB drive to put everything on, he'll rip them for you for free.

That won't help with the emotional attachment side, though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3197 on: February 23, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »

I only take soaps and shampoos when I travel for work. The hotels our company puts us at always have fabulous products. (JW Marriot has the best shampoo!) 

When I book my own travel they aren't good- cheap hotels have cheap soaps, and it drys my skin.  Not worth it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3198 on: February 23, 2016, 08:29:22 AM »

Even those, only if I like them as much as my own stuff at home. Sometimes I think "now I know a brand to avoid".

Yeah, I used to take everything. I always thought, "it's good for travel!" but you know what? Everyplace we go has free toiletries if we need them. Actually, now I don't like to think of all the wasted bottles etc (even if they are recycled, it's a lot of energy), so I take small containers with the very few products I have kept.

My bathroom has benefitted the most from my purging. I use a moisturiser and facewipes, and water. Deodrant, toothpaste, lipbalm. Done. I used to buy so many lotions and potions. The simplicity is amazing, and my bathroom looks like it's out of a martha stewart magazine because it's free of all the labelled ugliness that is most toiletry packaging.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3199 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »

Yeah, I used to take everything. I always thought, "it's good for travel!" but you know what? Everyplace we go has free toiletries if we need them. Actually, now I don't like to think of all the wasted bottles etc (even if they are recycled, it's a lot of energy), so I take small containers with the very few products I have kept.

My bathroom has benefitted the most from my purging. I use a moisturiser and facewipes, and water. Deodrant, toothpaste, lipbalm. Done. I used to buy so many lotions and potions. The simplicity is amazing, and my bathroom looks like it's out of a martha stewart magazine because it's free of all the labelled ugliness that is most toiletry packaging.

Another "free!" convert here! I ended up with a basket full of those hotel freebies that I also hardly used, so I too stopped taking the little hotel bottles home. I find that they're never (or rather, rarely) better than my own stuff. Though I am going through a "use it up" challenge this year to use up all of my lotions, body washes, etc. Surprisingly, I don't really stockpile full size shampoo and conditioner, but I do have some of those hotel bottles still floating around so before I repurchase those necessities, I will just use those up and maybe keep ONE set for when I truly do use them, such as traveling to visit my parents.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!