Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851318 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2300 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Having almost no luck selling stuff. (I think I don't want strangers coming to my house for under $20... so maybe I list too high?)

But have gotten rid of a lot through donating. :)
And I took a stack of 25 magazines to a neighbor!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2301 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:39 AM »
My mom made me a bean bag when I was a kid out of my old t-shirts.  I think she too, wanted to get rid of my t-shirts and this way I'd agree.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2302 on: August 03, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »
Having almost no luck selling stuff. (I think I don't want strangers coming to my house for under $20... so maybe I list too high?)

For smaller, easily portable items, arrange to meet your buyer in a public place (I usually ask any potential buyer to meet at the parking lot of my local Target - it's always busy and well lit, even after dark) - this way you can list less expensive items and actually sell them without having people come to your house.  For bulky items, like furniture, I always make sure that I am not alone in the house when I have someone come in.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2303 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:36 AM »
TL:DR - less is more when grocery shopping

I'm continuing to eat the contents of my cupboard. I've got three weeks until my move.

This effort may shift the way I think about food.  I grew up in a large fammily and was very involved in cooking and shopping for 7 to 10 people.  I've been living alone or with a room mate for almost ten years.  I didn't think I really stockpiled, except a few items that were hard to find rurally. I like to keep around basic ingredients to a few things I enjoy, spices, baking supplies.  I've been consciously eating cupboard food for 6 months and I STILL have things left!  I have bought some things of course and I've had a productive little bucket garden. I like having a few options around.  That makes it easy to cook at home.  But this process of having much less in the pantry and buying as needed is blowing my mind. 

Perhaps it's even more about having less in the freezer and fridge.  I spent 6 months with just a mini fridge.  I bought meat when I planned to cook, at the left overs.  Always knew what was in the fridge.  Didn't have extra condiments hanging around.

Why did I tie hundreds of dollars up in food that I didn't eat? That I didn't even know I had, except that the cupboard was full.

It's ok to have empty space in the cupboard!

Can you please have a get together with my roommate? She's got a hoarder's mindset and doesn't realize it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2304 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »

For smaller, easily portable items, arrange to meet your buyer in a public place (I usually ask any potential buyer to meet at the parking lot of my local Target - it's always busy and well lit, even after dark) - this way you can list less expensive items and actually sell them without having people come to your house.  For bulky items, like furniture, I always make sure that I am not alone in the house when I have someone come in.

It isn't worth the gas and time to GET to Target for a $10 item though.

I mean; I've been on the other end of this.  I drove to Costco to meet someone to get swaddles for a newborn. It was $10 for 5 of them.  But that was $100 worth of swaddles for $10; good deal for me. 

But for them? Totally not worth the drive. With the car she was driving and where she was coming from (I know because I balked at driving all the way out to her house) it was probably $5 in gas round trip. And she just met me, I paid, and she left. So it wasn't like she was going to Costco.

There are some things goodwill won't take; and I think I might just stick to freecycle for that.  It's easy to say "I'll be in and out all day; I will set the item on the porch".  You can't really do that with a sale.  (Or maybe I can just say "throw the $5 under the welcome mat". If they don't - it is really no different than if I just donated it... and I bet most honest people would.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2305 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
Great to see how everyone here is tackling their stuff, I am impressed! Having a hard time getting rid of stuff myself, especially clothes and books.

Clothes: I do not outgrow them, they are good quality, and they are still mystyle, and I still like to buy something new every now and again, so my clothes collection just keeps expanding. I still have the same size as 25 years ago and still have some nice quality items from that time that I do not want to get rid of. I am now at the point that I will have to do the "one in, one out" policy if I buy something new, which has prevented me from buying new stuff for the past year. I still wear everything on a regular basis. Also a difficult point: souvenir/band t-shirts that are hardly worn but I want to keep for sentimental reasons but this is one stack of approximately 20 shirts so I am not going to worry over them. Still wondering what to do with 25 pairs of socks given away for free on airlines. Not good quality but good enough for wearing/washing 4 or 5 times before falling apart. Not sure a thrift store would be happy with them, as they are such poor quality. They look lovely stacked the Marie Kondo way but as I never wear them (no socks or high quality hiking socks when hiking), I should absolutely get rid of them. Note to self: leave on airplane in future, even though free socks appeal to my frugal mindset.

Books: I love re-reading books and in the past was very choosy when buying books, so the majority of what I have I do not want to get rid of. However I now have 7 bookcases full and also need to start applying "one in, one out". To soften the blow I will just move a couple of boxes of books to the attic, and decide on them later. Not true de-cluttering but hey, books!

I have a very limited amount of knick-knacks, and most of the ones left I have been given when I was young and they hold sentimental value. Everything without sentimental value has been given away to thrift stores by now so I am quite OK on that front.

I would welcome all tips on how to sort/store DIY tools. I have my electric tools in small cases, neatly labelled and stacked on shelves, but  I have a ton of screwdrivers-not-part-of-a-boxed-set, hammers, tape measures, screws, saws, pliers, plugs, hooks, sandpaper, paintbrushes, electric plugs and wiring etc. and I have not yet found the perfect way of sorting them. I have no garage so everything has to fit into Ikea Pax cupboards.

Ok, even for me that's a ridiculous number of books. I too love re-reading books. My suggestion: mark all your books somehow (sticky note, etc). Then make an effort to go through and re-read your books.  Remove the sticky note when you do. Those you can keep. After a while, you'll find that there's books you just don't want to read for whatever reason, or ones you don't like anymore. That's your goodbye pile. No guilt needed.

If the books are reference - do you actually refer to them? If not, add to the goodbye pile.

And my friend just made a quilt out of all her old college shirts. It's on her bed, being used. If you don't quilt, I'm sure you can find someone who does who'd be willing to help, or you could learn!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2306 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »

It isn't worth the gas and time to GET to Target for a $10 item though.

I mean; I've been on the other end of this.  I drove to Costco to meet someone to get swaddles for a newborn. It was $10 for 5 of them.  But that was $100 worth of swaddles for $10; good deal for me. 

But for them? Totally not worth the drive. With the car she was driving and where she was coming from (I know because I balked at driving all the way out to her house) it was probably $5 in gas round trip. And she just met me, I paid, and she left. So it wasn't like she was going to Costco.

There are some things goodwill won't take; and I think I might just stick to freecycle for that.  It's easy to say "I'll be in and out all day; I will set the item on the porch".  You can't really do that with a sale.  (Or maybe I can just say "throw the $5 under the welcome mat". If they don't - it is really no different than if I just donated it... and I bet most honest people would.)

I hear you.  My method would not work well if you are in a rural location.  I just use Target because it's convenient for me (maybe a mile from where I live), but any other public, well lit place will do (grocery store, the mall, etc.)  I always specify my approximate location in my listings so people know how far they would have to drive.  Having said that, I generally don't list anything under $15 because I think it's just not worth the effort - stuff like that gets donated.  Sometimes I also list things under the "Free" category on Craigslist and just leave them outside on the porch or in front of the garage to be picked up.  It works well.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2307 on: August 03, 2015, 09:04:22 AM »

I hear you.  My method would not work well if you are in a rural location.  I just use Target because it's convenient for me (maybe a mile from where I live), but any other public, well lit place will do (grocery store, the mall, etc.)  I always specify my approximate location in my listings so people know how far they would have to drive.  Having said that, I generally don't list anything under $15 because I think it's just not worth the effort - stuff like that gets donated.  Sometimes I also list things under the "Free" category on Craigslist and just leave them outside on the porch or in front of the garage to be picked up.  It works well.

I'm not exactly rural, but I live in a bedroom community of a small city; so nothing is near my house.

There is a consignment shop I've dropped a few things off at, but they are so picky about what they take.  But it's out of the house. I just need to keep reminding myself that is the goal!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2308 on: August 03, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
My community is having a multi-family yard sale this Saturday. I'm hoping we can get rid of a bunch of stuff at this event. We have some furniture, lots of CD's and DVD's, and random stuff like knick knacks and reptile terrariums. Right now I'm trying to convince the kids to get their unwanted junk from their rooms in boxes to take out there.

My biggest worry is that I've never been on the selling end of a yard sale before. Any tips from seasoned veterans on this?

Thanks.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2309 on: August 03, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
My biggest worry is that I've never been on the selling end of a yard sale before. Any tips from seasoned veterans on this?

Put stickers on EVERYTHING. Don't count on "remembering" the price you wanted. 

If the multiple families will be all selling together, color code to know whose stuff is what, and peel each sticker off the item and put it onto a ledger, and at the end of the day, you know how much each person gets from the cash box. (Make a note on the ledger if the price of an item was haggled down.)

Be ready at least an hour before your ad says you will open.
And be firm that your house does NOT have public restrooms.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2310 on: August 03, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
I don't know what's stopping me from doing a complete "thorough" go-round with Marie Kondo's method. I think it's because she recommends diving in for a full weekend and getting it completely done, and long bouts of de-cluttering aren't working for me. I am using other tidbits from her book. I think her book has helped with getting me into the right mindset when it comes to having too many things. I don't stay in the mindset, but I at least know what it feels like now.

It's OK, actually, she doesn't say you have to do it in a single weekend. Or at least, that's not my interpretation. She does say to do it all at once, but I take that to mean that the process should have a beginning and an end, not that the time between the beginning and the end should be as short as possible. I think her intent is that decluttering shouldn't be something that's perpetually on your chore list, like cleaning the gutters or changing your oil; rather, it should be something you do only once and not again. But that doesn't mean you can't take whatever time with it that you need.

Good luck!
Maybe you could try one zone at a time. And zone doesn't have to equal bedroom it could equal one box under your bed, one shelf in your wardrobe, all of your shoes etc. This is how I have been approaching my decluttering and it seems to be working well. I do tend to revisit after the initial cull, I think seeing progress spurs me on to get rid of more.

One small zone at a time is an excellent idea, although I found it helpful to pull everything out a go through one by one rather than to look at things on a shelf for example and reduce. More tens to be discarded this way I've found.
Good luck!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: August 03, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
I can't remember if I have posted to this thread or not.  But I've just started another month of the "30-day Minimalist Game," as it has been coined by Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus at theminimalists.com.  I call it MinChal, just because that is the shorthand I put at the top of the list in my phone to keep track.  I played by myself, unsure of how I'd perform.  I updated the little list in my phone with the date and the items that left my home.  I was pretty flexible with myself, giving credit for items tossed in excess of that date's number for a future date, and allowing goodwilled items to sit around for up to a week, so I could make the trip less frequently.  I counted any little piece of junk I could find, unless it was something like trash created that day to be tossed immediately.  (i.e. junk mail did not count.)  If I fell behind I'd give myself a day or two to tackle something big and catch up.

http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

I "played" in June and July, getting to the 21st and 23rd, respectively, before quitting.  Towards the end of each challenge I was counting out birthday candle stumps in June, and dead batteries in July.  I also got rid of some more "impressive" things, like lots of clothes, unused kitchen equipment, etc.

Amazingly, there still seems to a good bit of "stuff" in the house.  And I should note that we were already comparatively low on stuff.  We d have 2 kids, and they add to the stuff, but we try to keep it minimal.

Anyway, all in all, it is fun method for getting rid of stuff.  A simple goal and anything goes.  I don't feel like I need to "finish" an area.  Just hit the number for the date, and you are good to go.  I'm going to re-start every month until a day that I imagine includes looking around my house and having a magical feeling of time and space for the things that matter.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2312 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »

Put stickers on EVERYTHING. Don't count on "remembering" the price you wanted. 

If the multiple families will be all selling together, color code to know whose stuff is what, and peel each sticker off the item and put it onto a ledger, and at the end of the day, you know how much each person gets from the cash box. (Make a note on the ledger if the price of an item was haggled down.)

Be ready at least an hour before your ad says you will open.
And be firm that your house does NOT have public restrooms.

Thank you for the tips! Especially that last one had not even crossed my mind, but now I have thought up the closest public rest room if it comes up so I can quickly send folks on their merry way.

How much cash should I have on hand for making change?

Each child did pretty well today filling up a box or two with stuff to go out, so that was a small victory.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2313 on: August 04, 2015, 04:19:41 AM »
I can't remember if I have posted to this thread or not.  But I've just started another month of the "30-day Minimalist Game," as it has been coined by Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus at theminimalists.com.  I call it MinChal, just because that is the shorthand I put at the top of the list in my phone to keep track.  I played by myself, unsure of how I'd perform.  I updated the little list in my phone with the date and the items that left my home.  I was pretty flexible with myself, giving credit for items tossed in excess of that date's number for a future date, and allowing goodwilled items to sit around for up to a week, so I could make the trip less frequently.  I counted any little piece of junk I could find, unless it was something like trash created that day to be tossed immediately.  (i.e. junk mail did not count.)  If I fell behind I'd give myself a day or two to tackle something big and catch up.

http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

I keep reading about people playing that game, it sounds good. I'm not sure I have enough stuff to play it at this point haha. I've read their most recent book and really enjoyed it.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2314 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
Man. I'm making progress but very slowly.

Sometimes, I feel like my mind has this crystal clear mentality when I go through things. I realize I don't need or want them, and will be unlikely to need it in the future. The clarity is tangible and I can throw away/donate things with little or no detachment that I've previously agonized over.

However, it doesn't last long, and by the end of a clearing session I'll be making much less progress. "I know this is just one black sock and I've folded and put away 20 other pairs, but I'm SURE I'll find another one while I'm cleaning up..."

It's ok, I guess, because it just means I need to keep going and keep making progress. I kind of wish I could have a professional like Peter Walsh or Marie Kondo help me out. I have both of their books on audible. I've listened to Kondo's three different times, and am going through Walsh's now. While listening to these books can be motivating, it's not the same as someone being right there looking at YOUR stuff with you and pushing you as you begin to falter at the tough times.

I don't know where u live, but I'm in NorCal USA and I do organizing & decluttering as a side hustle.
I another note, I think you can do it, it'll get easier to discern over time. And after the major purge of everything, you will see more later , all the time.
Also, it sounds like u are familiar with Marie Kondos method. But hav u done a thourogh and go round with it? If not, I and countless others hav had excellent progress with her method.
Good luck!
Riverffashion, how did you get started on this side hustle? It sounds cool and something I'd like to try. I sent you a pm as well.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2315 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
I brought another bunch of clothes to the consignment store.  They rejected a few items.  It is hit or miss with this store: among the rejected items were 3 or 4 that I brought in before and was specifically told to bring back once they start accepting fall clothing which is now!  Oh well.  They are going straight to Goodwill and not back into my closet ;-)  I think I have reduced my closet by 40-50% by now but there are still a few items that need to be weeded out.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2316 on: August 04, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
I brought another bunch of clothes to the consignment store.  They rejected a few items.  It is hit or miss with this store: among the rejected items were 3 or 4 that I brought in before and was specifically told to bring back once they start accepting fall clothing which is now!  Oh well.  They are going straight to Goodwill and not back into my closet ;-)  I think I have reduced my closet by 40-50% by now but there are still a few items that need to be weeded out.

Ha.  Did you point that out to them?  What did they say?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2317 on: August 04, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
The one thing I like about the consignment store I use is that they will donate rejected items for you. Yes, that means they get the tax benefits, not me- but we never remember to take them, so the net result is they are out of my closet.

They have amazing sales though, so I think people only ever shop when things are 50% or 75% off. Which means I usually make 20 or 30 cents an item... with the few items that get accepted...

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2318 on: August 04, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
The one thing I like about the consignment store I use is that they will donate rejected items for you. Yes, that means they get the tax benefits, not me- but we never remember to take them, so the net result is they are out of my closet.

They have amazing sales though, so I think people only ever shop when things are 50% or 75% off. Which means I usually make 20 or 30 cents an item... with the few items that get accepted...

Yes, this one donates as well, so I don't have to pick up anything that hasn't sold.  So that is a definite plus - things are gone for good once I bring them in.

Ha.  Did you point that out to them?  What did they say?

I did not have the strength for this today ;-)  I noticed it depends on the person who is actually looking through the items.  I may try them again with another batch.

Quinn

« Reply #2319 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »

Wouldn't it work out better to donate to Goodwill direct and get the tax benefits? I've only done consignment twice for higher-end things ($200+) but after that I just switched to ebay/craigslist. If I can't get more than $5 out of it, I'd just donate it..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:13:18 PM by acorn »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2320 on: August 04, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »

Wouldn't it work out better to donate to Goodwill direct and get the tax benefits? I've only done consignment twice for higher-end things ($200+) but after that I just switched to ebay/craigslist. If I can't get more than $5 out of it, I'd just donate it..

Yeah, this is why I just donate virtually all of my items except furniture.  I don't really have expensive items I'm shedding (clothes to cheap vases to cheap wine glasses to old candleholders is my usual gamut).

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2321 on: August 04, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

This is assuming that one itemizes.   Most people (around 60%, I believe) take the standard deduction.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2322 on: August 04, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
Man. I'm making progress but very slowly.

Sometimes, I feel like my mind has this crystal clear mentality when I go through things. I realize I don't need or want them, and will be unlikely to need it in the future. The clarity is tangible and I can throw away/donate things with little or no detachment that I've previously agonized over.

However, it doesn't last long, and by the end of a clearing session I'll be making much less progress. "I know this is just one black sock and I've folded and put away 20 other pairs, but I'm SURE I'll find another one while I'm cleaning up..."

It's ok, I guess, because it just means I need to keep going and keep making progress. I kind of wish I could have a professional like Peter Walsh or Marie Kondo help me out. I have both of their books on audible. I've listened to Kondo's three different times, and am going through Walsh's now. While listening to these books can be motivating, it's not the same as someone being right there looking at YOUR stuff with you and pushing you as you begin to falter at the tough times.

I don't know where u live, but I'm in NorCal USA and I do organizing & decluttering as a side hustle.
I another note, I think you can do it, it'll get easier to discern over time. And after the major purge of everything, you will see more later , all the time.
Also, it sounds like u are familiar with Marie Kondos method. But hav u done a thourogh and go round with it? If not, I and countless others hav had excellent progress with her method.
Good luck!
Riverffashion, how did you get started on this side hustle? It sounds cool and something I'd like to try. I sent you a pm as well.

It's something I've always enjoyed . I believe I posted flyers everywhere , in the small town I lived in at the time ( now I post business cards ). After the first couple people, it became more about referrals, which really helps so people know they're getting someone whose trustworthy and good.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2323 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:56 AM »
(sigh) I could sure use your help, riverffashion...I'm overwhelmed by my stuff and have zero time for the declutterring that is so badly needed in our home with many children.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2324 on: August 05, 2015, 07:10:52 AM »

Yes, if we itemize, but despite the much flaunted mortgage interest deduction, it has never worked out better for us to itemize* (we do our tax deductions each way every year)- so it doesn't make a difference.

*Maybe we did 1 year, I don't remember. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:35:57 AM by iowajes »

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2325 on: August 05, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »
You know, I remember a few years ago reading a blog (my efforts at googling it have failed) where the writer basically said the easiest way she could get out of the clutter in her life was to get rid of everything, including the sentimental stuff. And years later, if at some point she thought "What did I ever do with that such-and-such?" she'd just think "Oh yeah, we lost that in the house fire" and move on with life. It was a way to mentally separate those things from herself as a person... they weren't her identity... and she was able to deeply minimize and move on with life with no regrets.

Sometimes (quite often) I think about getting rid of everything I have and just starting over after an "imaginary house fire." I probably won't ever do it, but it makes me realize what a stronghold material possessions can take in your life.

I actually recently came across what I think is the article you read. It's on a site called Houzz and I think her name is Rachel.

Here's the kicker: it wasn't a mind game she made up. Her house actually DID burn down. She grew and learned from it and she used it for purchases she had wanted to make but didn't at the time. I think one example was a rug. At one point she thought, "I should have bought it when I had the chance" but then would remember it was pre-fire, so if she had, she would have lost it anyway.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2326 on: August 05, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
I actually recently came across what I think is the article you read. It's on a site called Houzz and I think her name is Rachel.

It definitely wasn't there, but I swear I can't find the original article. Doesn't matter, really, the principle is the same.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2327 on: August 05, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
You know, I remember a few years ago reading a blog (my efforts at googling it have failed) where the writer basically said the easiest way she could get out of the clutter in her life was to get rid of everything, including the sentimental stuff. And years later, if at some point she thought "What did I ever do with that such-and-such?" she'd just think "Oh yeah, we lost that in the house fire" and move on with life. It was a way to mentally separate those things from herself as a person... they weren't her identity... and she was able to deeply minimize and move on with life with no regrets.

Sometimes (quite often) I think about getting rid of everything I have and just starting over after an "imaginary house fire." I probably won't ever do it, but it makes me realize what a stronghold material possessions can take in your life.

Here's the kicker: it wasn't a mind game she made up. Her house actually DID burn down. She grew and learned from it and she used it for purchases she had wanted to make but didn't at the time. I think one example was a rug. At one point she thought, "I should have bought it when I had the chance" but then would remember it was pre-fire, so if she had, she would have lost it anyway.

I read that too.  Puts things into perspective.  She said there were a few things she truly missed like pictures.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2328 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »

I read that too.  Puts things into perspective.  She said there were a few things she truly missed like pictures.

A friend who lost all of his possessions in a flood said pictures were the only thing he regretted losing.
He didn't have anytime to clear anything out because he didn't realize his house was in danger; the city called the zone too late (he lived WELL out of any flood zone, this flood was historic, well past the 500-year flood lines)- and he was out knocking on doors to get people to evacuate from other high risk areas.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2329 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »

A friend who lost all of his possessions in a flood said pictures were the only thing he regretted losing.
He didn't have anytime to clear anything out because he didn't realize his house was in danger; the city called the zone too late (he lived WELL out of any flood zone, this flood was historic, well past the 500-year flood lines)- and he was out knocking on doors to get people to evacuate from other high risk areas.

I have a roommate and there are 3 basic things that I really struggle with her about: she's heat intolerant and unwilling to learn to adjust; she's a bit of a slob; and she has way too much stuff (which is half the slob problem). Seriously, she's a magpie. She's also paranoid about security and safety, even though she's never lived in an unsafe area in her life.

So she was arguing with me about the security system (which we have because I put up with it, but never turn it on), and said that there's all sorts of things she'd be really upset about if she lost them. I countered with what if the house burns down? That didn't go over well...

Me, I'm well aware. I'd like to grab my 2 cats, laptop, file box, purse, and keys. Yeah, I wouldn't be happy, but I'd survive and I know it. She doesn't even know it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2330 on: August 05, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
I actually started a thread asking what one item people would grab from their home (assuming their family and pets were safe - although a number of people ignored that "rule" and mentioned they'd get their family or pets out).  Makes you think about what's important, and how you can preemptively protect it.

jordanread

« Reply #2331 on: August 05, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
I actually started a thread asking what one item people would grab from their home (assuming their family and pets were safe - although a number of people ignored that "rule" and mentioned they'd get their family or pets out).  Makes you think about what's important, and how you can preemptively protect it.

I may be the least sentimental person on the planet, but leaving aside living people, there's nothing I'd grab except for convenience reasons: wallet, cell phone, personal documents like birth certificates/marriage licenses.

I like my stuff, it makes my life easier and is useful, but if I lost it all tomorrow, my biggest concern would be the aggravation of replacing it all.

If pets and my GF was safe, I'd probably grab my box of documents. Passport, Birth Certificates, etc. Now that you mention it though, if my house burned down, and my pets and GF were safe (and she grabbed my documents), I'd initially go for the gasoline...:)
(To jurors who may or may not read this later, that was a joke)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2332 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
Sold a coffee table and end table today. They were too big for my room so I got a smaller coffee table to replace it and used an extra end table I already had.  I like the new look and I have one less piece of furniture in the house! 

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2333 on: August 06, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
Also a difficult point: souvenir/band t-shirts that are hardly worn but I want to keep for sentimental reasons but this is one stack of approximately 20 shirts so I am not going to worry over them.
Just a gentle facepunch, I don't even own 20 tshirts even if you count the big ones I stole from DH to be pjs. And DH doesn't own 20 tshirts even if you count his undershirts.
The 20 shirts are a 30 year collection, so I do not think it is too bad, and they were all bought directly from the bands to support them. It is one of three things I do to support the bands I love: buying the music, going to the gig and then buying some merchandise. Probably not mustachian but all to support them. Have to admit that I just crowdfunded the CD for another band I want to help grow and yes, I chose the larger pledge of CD with T-shirt, again... Happy to be facepunched for that :-)

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2334 on: August 06, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
Socks: I would try donating to a women's refuge. Some of these women having nothing but the clothes on their backs so the socks would likely be appreciated as it's not normally the sort of thing that would be donated as a used item.
Band t-shirts: why not wear them??? This is my weekend wardrobe. If you don't like the fit I can post instructions for turning them into cute tank tops. Also the memory of the concert is the sentimental thing, the tshirt only serves to remind you of the memory. If you aren't wearing it it's not serving that purpose.
Great idea on the socks, did not think about the fact that this would not be a regularly donated item, but of course people will usually wear socks until threadbare, these are all brand new, even if not good quality.

I do wear the band shirts in the weekend, but as I have 20 and it is only t-shirt weather for about 5 months of the year, wear is limited to once a year or so. My solution to get more joy out of the memories: Fold them a bit Marie Kondo style. I fold them with the front picture clearly visible, then roll them into cylinders with the middle of the front picture facing upward, this makes more picture visible than if I would finish the folding true Kondo style. Then I put these rolls in a drawer. I now have a drawer with 2 x 10 rolled up t-shirts where I can see a bit of the front picture of each one! So every time I open up the drawer I do not have to rummage for what fits my mood, but I can easily pick the one I want and at the same time glance over all the others as well.

Love your suggestion on turning shirts into tank-tops, I may look at a couple of the bulkier male sized shirts to transform.

Ordered the Marie Kondo book this week to become a bit more structured in how I apply her techniques. As the paper book and the e-book were priced exactly the same I opted for the paper book, so that I can give it away after reading, it seems like a good book to share with friends who may also benefit from it.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2335 on: August 06, 2015, 01:54:52 AM »
Okay, I read the Kondo book and then Kondoed our dresser. I blame all of you.

Do you love that it looks like a box of jelly beans now? I am ridiculously gleeful every time I open a drawer, post KonMari.  :-D
I recognise this so much! Yesterday evening I just had to grin when I opened my nightwear drawer, which is now folded KonMari style. It is such a change, I am quite surprised about the effect it has.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2336 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »
Ok, even for me that's a ridiculous number of books. I too love re-reading books. My suggestion: mark all your books somehow (sticky note, etc). Then make an effort to go through and re-read your books.  Remove the sticky note when you do. Those you can keep. After a while, you'll find that there's books you just don't want to read for whatever reason, or ones you don't like anymore. That's your goodbye pile. No guilt needed.
No autonomously growing goodbye pile unfortunately, I re-read everything I still have. Even when sorting through the books I want to get rid of, I end up on the couch re-reading them and then deciding I do not want to let go yet. I understand why people would want to chuck out books they do not read, and I do so with books I have been given and/or are not really my style, my issue is that I read and re-read a lot, I cycle through all my books in a period of 4-5 years. The one-in, one-out hopefully works. I have to chuck out books not because I do not like them or because I do not read them, but because there is another book that I like better. I just have to get accustomed to the fact that I like and re-read more books than I am happy to own in paper form. Replacing paper with e-books may be a good way to de-clutter as well. Anyone here who is doing that?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2337 on: August 06, 2015, 02:24:59 AM »

I'm obviously alone in this, but if I thought my house was on fire I wouldn't stop for anything!

In fact, I once genuinely did think I was in a fire. My then boyfriend (now husband) and I were repainting my apartment on a very hot summers day. It was on the 4th floor, and probably the furthest unit from one of the two fire exits, so I was conscious about fire safety.

Well, this day, we were painting away, and so hot. So I was actually painting in my underwear. Suddenly there was an overwhelming smell of smoke and burning. I said, "Oh my god, fire! Get out!". My husband actually said, "Put some clothes on!!" and I was like, "dude we're evacuating, I'm not stopping for clothes!" and he said, "But we're going to have to wait outside on that busy street and you're in your underwear" and I said "At least I'll be alive!", and ran for the door. As it happened on the way out I passed the coat hooks, so grabbed a coat to save my modesty.

I stood, on the very busy road, in underwear and a coat (I looked very odd given it was such a hot day). It turned out that someone in a different apartment had simply burnt some toast, but due to the redecorating works I was doing there was no filter on my extractor hood, so the smoke that was vented up from their apartment was released straight into mine.

So I can genuinely say I wouldn't stop for anything :) No way I would have gone back into the bedroom for clothes, I literally only took the coat because I saw it as I was running the hell out of there in bra and knickers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:27:08 AM by theadvicist »

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2338 on: August 06, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
Just deleted all my saved craigslist searches. It's an effort to pick the stuff up and honestly I don't need anything more. I think when/if I do want something (after this new round of debt goes away! gah), I will buy it mindfully in the future. Instead of being sort of packratty or accepting things that then I let go of anyway or store for ages waiting for its moment.

Lots of stuff waiting for my thredup bag though, including a small cull on my black tops and black leggings/yoga pants. Not sure how much of anything they'll take but I figure it ups my odds of getting more money, plus it's not being used with me.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #2339 on: August 06, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
I was looking around my apartment, feeling overwhelmed by Stuff again so I've decided to do a big clear out.

So far I have a bag of clothes to go to H&M for recycling and two bags of books to give to the local library. After that, I want to go through the linen cupboard, winter clothes, kitchen stuff and then those giant tubs of "important" papers etc.

We will move at the end of the year so I want to get rid of a lot of stuff and sell a lot of things as well.
As we are in the Philippines, due to fairly desperate poverty, I can easily find homes for everything I don't need. This makes me happy as I know the things will be used by people who really need them.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2340 on: August 06, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
I've got a mental block around jeans. I don't know why. I've cleared out SO many clothes, and yet, I just can't bring myself to tackle the jeans. Is it because they were expensive? Hard to find ones that fit? Remind me of happy times? Please can someone give me a pep talk about why I should go through them and get rid of some (probably got, hmmm, about 10 pairs total). I wear jeans probably 5 times a month.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2341 on: August 06, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
I've got a mental block around jeans. I don't know why. I've cleared out SO many clothes, and yet, I just can't bring myself to tackle the jeans. Is it because they were expensive? Hard to find ones that fit? Remind me of happy times? Please can someone give me a pep talk about why I should go through them and get rid of some (probably got, hmmm, about 10 pairs total). I wear jeans probably 5 times a month.

You don't need to get rid of your jeans.  Just try them on.  Are you wearing the same pairs all the time?  Are some languishing?  If so, why?  Just go through the process/exercise without a required action at the end. Then it should be clear what to do.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2342 on: August 06, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
No autonomously growing goodbye pile unfortunately, I re-read everything I still have. Even when sorting through the books I want to get rid of, I end up on the couch re-reading them and then deciding I do not want to let go yet. I understand why people would want to chuck out books they do not read, and I do so with books I have been given and/or are not really my style, my issue is that I read and re-read a lot, I cycle through all my books in a period of 4-5 years. The one-in, one-out hopefully works. I have to chuck out books not because I do not like them or because I do not read them, but because there is another book that I like better. I just have to get accustomed to the fact that I like and re-read more books than I am happy to own in paper form. Replacing paper with e-books may be a good way to de-clutter as well. Anyone here who is doing that?

I researched it. Too many of the books I would want weren't available at the time. Also, I don't like the e-readers, bit of a luddite regarding books. My solution has been to be ruthless about the # of books I have.

For you though it might be helpful. Even if you can only get half your books in e format, that would be a big help to you.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2343 on: August 06, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »

If they all fit and feel good to wear, I'd just keep them and wear a few pairs at a time until they wear out.  But if you try them all on and some don't feel quite right, I'd give them the boot.  I just did this with a pair I had that I rarely wore because they were just a shade too short and a tiny bit too low-rise, so I never felt 100% comfortable in them.  I find this freeing because I don't have that twinge of guilt that I *should* wear them when I pass over them on my shelf.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2344 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
I got rid of a shirt and a hat I wasn't using much. I realized it's because I have similar items that I like more and use more often. There are some sketchy for profit drop bins around our neighborhood but I went ahead and used that rather than letting them sit around any longer.

I don't know if this counts as getting rid of something per se. A pair of khakis got too stained to wear as nice office pants so I rolled up the legs and used them as capris on days I had to paint at work. They wore out on one side of the butt and I used the extra fabric rolled up in one of the legs to patch it. Finally, while exercising at lunch, they split completely. I'm now harvesting most of the fabric to patch up another pair of work pants.

So I haven't so much gotten rid of it as dismantled it to the point of its no longer being an item.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2345 on: August 06, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
I've been in Canada for over two months now - I traveled with what I could carry on plus one checked bag and I am not missing much.

I have a feeling I will have a lot of stuff to declutter once I get home...

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2346 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
I've been in Canada for over two months now - I traveled with what I could carry on plus one checked bag and I am not missing much.

Isn't it wonderful how the decluttering mindset is always there now?
I rid myself of several things in my suitcase on vacation, clothing and books mostly. And had a list in mind for when I returned... :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2347 on: August 07, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »
When I packed for BC I realized that most of my "good" t shirts are not ones I want to wear unless there is no choice.  They are now demoted to gardening t shirts (that way I am at least presentable if people come over) and I know I need to actually go shopping for new ones.  Of course I have now demoted my worst gardening shirts to grubby/painting shirts, and the really horrible ones have hit the garbage.

Isn't it wonderful how the decluttering mindset is always there now?
I rid myself of several things in my suitcase on vacation, clothing and books mostly. And had a list in mind for when I returned... :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2348 on: August 07, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »
I am no longer interested in all my home decorating magazines because I'd rather have space to make the pretty things I want, and they're all too full of ads. I might buy myself some new ones if I feel like it later, but these aren't bringing me joy any more. It's nice to see my focus change.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2349 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
I am no longer interested in all my home decorating magazines because I'd rather have space to make the pretty things I want, and they're all too full of ads. I might buy myself some new ones if I feel like it later, but these aren't bringing me joy any more. It's nice to see my focus change.

Library!