Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851400 times)

tariskat

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #950 on: January 10, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
Practical magic, that's so awesome !!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #951 on: January 10, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
Thanks tariskat! I love coming here and reading about everyone's progress, it really inspires me.  :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #952 on: January 11, 2015, 06:57:39 AM »
It's funny how I think I've gone through and cleared out every nook and cranny, and several years into serious decluttering, I'm STILL finding stuff to get rid of. Yikes.

Yes, I am in the same boat. It simply amazes me. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #953 on: January 11, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
My sweetie cleaned off the top of his dresser today <3

Share your secret!  :)
It was sort of accidental.  We were flipping the mattress (king sized, extra deep, pillow-top on both sides so it's extremely heavy), which involves propping the one end of it on his dresser and using the dresser as a lever while we pick up the other end.  There was just too much crap on his dresser for it to work, so we shoved everything out of the way and flipped the mattress.  Then he went ahead and cleaned it up so it wasn't a problem area anymore!

I'm very fortunate in my husband.  We have about the same level of "mess tolerance", so about the time when something is too messy for me, it's also too messy for him.  Now he wants me to clean off my dresser...

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #954 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
Things that are coming up:

1.  I now notice how icky I feel when I clear a space and then have a small pile of TO DO items messing with the beauty of my tidy space.  Dealing with these newly revealed repairs, errands, etc. needs to be immediate or it ruins my newly found equanimity.  But now that I have done all this tidying my energy is low and I don't have what it takes to deal with this.  What do you do at this point?

2.  Just reread a post where I said i would deal with iPhoto this month…a good reminder to get going on that this week.

3.  I have started noticing things that are broken and needing attention-who knew there were so many?  Even earrings in my jewellery box missing  backs or broken.

4. I am much more into cleaning up after a meal and leaving every surface sparkling than I was before.  Now that my awareness (of how good it feels to have clear spaces) is growing it is affecting my habits.  And, I am much more aware of how the procrastinated task hangs over me trashing my ease and calm.

Are any of you noticing similar shifts?

Nancy

« Reply #955 on: January 11, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
^ While it doesn't upset me or get in the way of my calm/mood, I've definitely started to make sure that papers/items don't start squatting in areas I've already decluttered. They're much easier to notice now since the spaces are clear and also easier to deal with right away since there aren't many.

As for broken things, I'm getting better at letting go of those. There's still some bad feelings over wastefulness, but if the item has been sitting around as "to be fixed or upcycled" for a dog's age, then I clearly don't need it and should release it back into the wild for someone else to use/fix (another forum member helped me with this).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
I'm not sure why, but I've been procrastinating putting some things I'd like to get rid of for sale online. I think because it's new and intimidating for me and I'm afraid of failure (that's a whole different story).

Today, realizing I was procrastinating, told myself just to make an account on kijiji. Then, just take a photo of a big framed mirror I've had for 2-3 years that's been sitting in my computer/storage room waiting to be hung. Then just post an ad. Three easy steps. Nothing to fear. It hasn't sold yet, it's only been up an hour, but it's still a huge step for me. Hopefully I can get addicted to it, and get rid of more stuff this way while making a little bit of income.

Yesterday I managed to get rid of 15 things. 14 were not suitable for donation or sale, but one was unused and someone is coming over today to pick it up. :D

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #957 on: January 11, 2015, 05:51:15 PM »
I went through all of my photographs and culled them by about half.  I can do another half, ideally to the point where they go in a *thin* photograph album.  My brother got the knife block and most of the knives with it (we only used three - why have the whole block on the counter top).  Another bag of odds and ends ready to go to Goodwill.  Slowly but surely.  It's amazing how much is still left after years of minimalist living.

Cookie

« Reply #958 on: January 11, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
Wintersun I feel the same way! Having a to-do list makes me not able to relax because I can't stop thinking about what I have to do. I wish I realized this sooner about myself.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #959 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:46 AM »
Gave away 4 things on freecycle over the weekend (all picked up yesterday) and today I have to put out a cd / cassette player boombox type thing before I go to work.  My eBay auctions die today, so tomorrow I'm going to drop by a local consignment shop to drop off some sweet boots and a jacket and some nice slacks.  I also need to make trips to donate clothes and sell some books and most of my DVDs, but that's probably a weekend project!  Between the Marie kondo book and this http://markmanson.net/minimalism I am in a good place mentally to get rid of things.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #960 on: January 12, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
Cookie,

I know, I think that I need to spend one year getting caught up with household to dos and then really chill with them. Right now most things on my to do list have been there for a few years and boy are they heavy!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #961 on: January 17, 2015, 04:03:04 AM »
I have donated the bulk as I have decluttered over the years.  However, I got another round together around late Oct and decided to take it to a consignment shop.  The time is up and I didn't make much, I didn't break 100 but it feels good to get rid of some things while making something back albeit small.  Although, I am not looking forward to bringing home the remainder but it would be interesting to see what did sell.   

It has been heartbreaking as I have majorly decluttered over the past few years.  The waste has been depressing and heartbreaking. Things barely used, if at all. 

I am ready to do another round of clothes though.  I still have too much and nothing to wear at the same time. How does that happen.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:04 AM »
I am ready to do another round of clothes though.  I still have too much and nothing to wear at the same time. How does that happen.

Because your wardrobe contains items that you do not love. I don't have many clothes (about 60 odd items, including jackets and leggings but excluding shoes, socks, undies, bras and hats), but last year was the first year I felt like I have heaps of clothes to wear. I was ruthless with my wardrobe and only keep clothes that I love to wear.  The high rotation clothes, stuff that you find yourself grabbing to wear without thinking cos you know you like wearing it. I still get rid of an item or two of clothes every 6 months or so as my tastes shift gradually over time, or my shape/size does. Most of my clothes go well with each other, so I can make many different outfits from not many clothes.

The method I used was to take each piece of clothing and ask myself (or got DH to ask me out loud - that works better for me), "do I love and want to keep this item?" If the answer was a resounding yes, then I kept the item. Any other response = get rid of it to charity.

Edit: Following up on your waste comment: doing this with my wardrobe REALLY helped with not contributing to more waste of money and environmental resources. It made me super concious of how bad I had been at buying clothes for myself. So now if I am in need of a new item of clothing, I ONLY buy it (whether from the op shop or new) if I really love it in the fitting room and can't wait to take it home and start wearing it. So yes, I do ask myself when trying on clothes, do I love and want to keep this, and I listen carefully to my gut feel. It's amazing how easy it is to try to justify something to yourself, when all that matters is if you love and want to keep it and use it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:29:08 AM by Astatine »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
Acorn,

I love this quote from you:

"A sentence I really like from the book: There are three approaches we can take toward our possessions: face them now, face them sometime, or avoid them until the day we die."

Seeing older rellies having to deal with their excess stuff inspires me to keep going.

Recently I got rid of food to the food bank (things that are no longer on my diet), jeans to the thrift store and the trash, shoe polish by the boatload (what was I thinking buying all that when we don't have those kind of shoes?), scarves I don't wear gifted to a grateful friend and lots of computer files.

Phew that feels good. 

And we got a cheque from the second hand store for a piece of furniture that we put on consignment.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #964 on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »

Because your wardrobe contains items that you do not love. I don't have many clothes (about 60 odd items, including jackets and leggings but excluding shoes, socks, undies, bras and hats), but last year was the first year I felt like I have heaps of clothes to wear. I was ruthless with my wardrobe and only keep clothes that I love to wear.  The high rotation clothes, stuff that you find yourself grabbing to wear without thinking cos you know you like wearing it. I still get rid of an item or two of clothes every 6 months or so as my tastes shift gradually over time, or my shape/size does. Most of my clothes go well with each other, so I can make many different outfits from not many clothes.

The method I used was to take each piece of clothing and ask myself (or got DH to ask me out loud - that works better for me), "do I love and want to keep this item?" If the answer was a resounding yes, then I kept the item. Any other response = get rid of it to charity.

Edit: Following up on your waste comment: doing this with my wardrobe REALLY helped with not contributing to more waste of money and environmental resources. It made me super concious of how bad I had been at buying clothes for myself. So now if I am in need of a new item of clothing, I ONLY buy it (whether from the op shop or new) if I really love it in the fitting room and can't wait to take it home and start wearing it. So yes, I do ask myself when trying on clothes, do I love and want to keep this, and I listen carefully to my gut feel. It's amazing how easy it is to try to justify something to yourself, when all that matters is if you love and want to keep it and use it.

I agree, I dont love everything.  Part of my problem is that I tire of clothes very easily. I just love new clothes.  I was doing the "do I love it"  for the most part last year and it worked fairly well.  For the last few years, I have only brought in a handful of items each year. Today, I have gone through my drawers and got rid of another 10-15 pieces.  I just dont reach for them.  I will slowly start to change out as I see things I really love.  Maybe one day, I will love and reach for it all.

Thanks for your thoughts.   

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #965 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
We're planning to retire in 3 1/2 years and leave the country, so I've started on a decluttering project so I won't have to do it all at once at the end.  Basically, I put a reminder in my phone for the first day of the month that says, "Get rid of some stuff."  Then when the day rolls around, I'll spend 15-20 mn in one of the rooms of our house gathering up some stuff to give away or sell.  The nice thing is, I generally think of the things I'll get rid of a couple of weeks in advance, and I get very excited about having that thing gone. This month, I took over 100 CDs to a used store and sold them.  Oh yeah, and gave away two fondue sets to friends.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:54:03 PM by Kris »

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #966 on: January 18, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »

Thank you!  This is what I need to learn to do.  Too often I will buy something just because it is a great deal, even if it is not perfect for me.  I need to stop that and only buy the perfect items, even if they cost a little bit more. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #967 on: January 18, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »
Cleaned out the laundry cupboard yesterday, got rid of a big bag of crap.

I'm learning techniques to help the BF cope with decluttering (he struggles with it emotionally) - such as doing the stuff that he doesn't need a say in (like expired cleaning chemicals) while he's out of the house, so that he doesn't have to watch/participate.

I don't understand how I haven't run out of stuff yet! I've probably donated ten big bin bags of 'stuff' in the last six months and by the time we next visit a charity shop, I'll have another three or four. I'm not buying anything, so how do I not run out at some point??

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #968 on: January 20, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »
I did a declutter of my clothes-closet. I almost managed a Project 333. I wound up at 52 items including clothes for work and sports.

Enjoy my stacks of discarded stuff and my now incredibly roomy closet.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #969 on: January 20, 2015, 07:52:17 AM »
That closet is half inspiring half terrifying! I'm still doing things piecemeal but have another box of stuff to mail off to Twice this week. I definitely still have too much--that is, more than I can/do actually wear--but I'm slowly paring down. It would be great to have half as much as I currently do. Baby steps!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #970 on: January 20, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »
For the record though, I have two pairs of jeans in the wash that are missing from the picture.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #971 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »
Enjoy my stacks of discarded stuff and my now incredibly roomy closet.
Oh yeah! Beautiful. Thanks for putting up the piccies.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #972 on: January 22, 2015, 08:51:33 AM »
The box of things to go to the thrift shop is FULL!

This week I also went through the medicine cabinet and linen closet and got rid of expired drugs, cremes and potions I was not going to use, frayed and nasty towels, and a bunch of stuff that was just taking up space. It looks so tidy now and I can find things I want!

The January Cure is giving me the push I need to get things done.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #973 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
We got rid of all of our cassette (music) tapes this weekend! I'm still trying to convince BF that we should get rid of the cassette player too - we don't have any cassettes left, not sure why he wants to keep it?! Next on my list is the vinyl record albums; we haven't listened to them in 10+ years!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #974 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
One box of kids clothes was gone through and sent to consignment.  :)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: January 22, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Next on my list is the vinyl record albums; we haven't listened to them in 10+ years!

Put those suckers on eBay. I think you'd be surprised.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #976 on: January 22, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
Next on my list is the vinyl record albums; we haven't listened to them in 10+ years!

I was considering that, but they are not all in "like new" condition, although they all play fine as far as I know. I guess I could just say that in the listing. There are too many to sell individually, not sure if I'm better off selling them in one large group (would take multiple shipping boxes) or in groups that would fit in one shipping box together.

Quinn

« Reply #977 on: January 22, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »

I was considering that, but they are not all in "like new" condition, although they all play fine as far as I know. I guess I could just say that in the listing. There are too many to sell individually, not sure if I'm better off selling them in one large group (would take multiple shipping boxes) or in groups that would fit in one shipping box together.

Money more impt:
Look through them and sell the more valuable ones (e.g. like new condition, more famous bands) individually on ebay. You'll get more money back this way, but you'll need to put in more effort and be patient since they'll take a while to sell. The rest can be sold in bulk.

Time more impt:
Sell in bulk on craigslist for buyers to pick up locally, there will be people who are interested in flipping them. Gets rid of them fast, without having to bother about shipping. If you're living in the sticks, and craigslist is not an option, sell in bulk on ebay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:43:54 PM by acorn »

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #978 on: January 22, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »

Money more impt:
Look through them and sell the more valuable ones (e.g. like new condition, more famous bands) individually on ebay. You'll get more money back this way, but you'll need to put in more effort and be patient since they'll take a while to sell. The rest can be sold in bulk.

Time more impt:
Sell in bulk on craigslist for buyers to pick up locally, there will be people who are interested in flipping them. Gets rid of them fast, without having to bother about shipping. If you're living in the sticks, and craigslist is not an option, sell in bulk on ebay.

Time is definitely more important. I'm in the stix but could meet a craigslist buyer somewhere. I'm thinking maybe I should see if our used bookstore wants them first - they sell used vinyl albums in addition to books and CDs. If they want them I wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #979 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »
I'll join in the fun here, we are preparing for a big move and I've been purging everything. I sold 4 rather large things just over the weekend and made two runs to goodwill with loads of clothes, knickknacks, etc. I'm trying to reduce down to the bare minimum (as bare minimum as you get with a family of four) to minimize our moving costs and make sure that as we transition into a smaller house that we don't bring our clutter problems with us. We've got a month and a half and the furniture and excess is slowly being traded for $$$. Sadly, as I've heard reported many times before, the amount of money doesn't get near what we spent on things that have essentially gone unused - sort of sad, humiliating, depressing...whatever...

Loving the fact that we get a reset on life (both professionally, personally and in relation to our things), and looking forward to a life more focused on time together and less on things.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #980 on: January 26, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Well, I had taken over 100 items to a consignment shop that sells furniture, household stuff, dolls, etc.  I made less than 100 bucks, which was fine.  However, I didn't realize if I want my stuff I would have to go through the store and pick it all out, which is all over the place. It would be one thing to be able to find it but that store is a mess. I cant believe it.  They dont even give you an idea of how many pieces were sold.  Had I known that, I would not have taken some stuff in.  I am shocked and a little frustrated.  On the other hand, I dont have to deal with the stuff any longer and the peace of that is great.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #981 on: January 26, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
Well, I had taken over 100 items to a consignment shop that sells furniture, household stuff, dolls, etc.  I made less than 100 bucks, which was fine.  However, I didn't realize if I want my stuff I would have to go through the store and pick it all out, which is all over the place. It would be one thing to be able to find it but that store is a mess. I cant believe it.  They dont even give you an idea of how many pieces were sold.  Had I known that, I would not have taken some stuff in.  I am shocked and a little frustrated.  On the other hand, I dont have to deal with the stuff any longer and the peace of that is great.

Seriously?  You could just point to things that aren't yours then.  Have they thought about that?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #982 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:40 AM »
My latest box to Twice is en route! My closet and dresser are no longer so jammed that they are a pain, but I think I'll probably keep paring down as I get the inspiration. I have a big bag of clothes for an eventual clothing swap too--things that I couldn't re-sell at local used stores and that aren't name brand enough/nearly new to ship to twice. It's amazing how there's always, eventually, room for another round of purging as my mentality keeps changing so that letting go becomes easier. I don't have an urgent deadline for paring down, but I have it in the back of my mind that I might move in five years or so and it would be nice to have a light footprint. I guess I have the old dream too of taking off and traveling the world and I don't want stuff to hold me back. It feels good too to get to a place where I don't have things just in case, but because I wear and use them frequently.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #983 on: January 26, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
It's amazing how there's always, eventually, room for another round of purging as my mentality keeps changing so that letting go becomes easier. I don't have an urgent deadline for paring down, but I have it in the back of my mind that I might move in five years or so and it would be nice to have a light footprint. I guess I have the old dream too of taking off and traveling the world and I don't want stuff to hold me back. It feels good too to get to a place where I don't have things just in case, but because I wear and use them frequently.

This. Exactly this. So much! I feel lighter, more free, and closer to my dreams each time I get rid of more things.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #984 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
Sadly, as I've heard reported many times before, the amount of money doesn't get near what we spent on things that have essentially gone unused - sort of sad, humiliating, depressing...whatever...

I've been finding it sort of liberating.  It basically means I should either A) rent it for a night, like movies or B) never, ever, ever pay full price for it.  Plus it means when I look at the sticker price I start thinking 'if I sell that in three months, I'll only get a dollar / whatever-tiny-number for it.' and that makes a lot of things not worth spending on.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #985 on: January 27, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
I'm winding down the eBay sales after 2 months and 170 items sold. Feeling really good about the decluttering and the cash, but as several of you have mentioned, it makes me want to weed out even more things. We recently sold a car after buying a newer used one for cash, and we need to sell yet another car. Then I can focus on decluttering the garage. It's frustrating trying to maneuver around it to clean and organize, so I'm trying to be patient. Seems like I am always trying to sell something! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: January 27, 2015, 11:43:59 PM »
5 garbage bags full of mostly clothes, plus 2 boxes of books OUT!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: January 28, 2015, 04:32:56 AM »
DS and DD have culled a couple of bags of old clothes…out they go.

Nancy

« Reply #988 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
I'll likely be moving in 4  months so I have to start decluttering for real! I cleaned out/reorganized my kitchen cabinets today.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #989 on: January 28, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
I'll likely be moving in 4  months so I have to start decluttering for real! I cleaned out/reorganized my kitchen cabinets today.

That is what has motivated us, we aren't paying to move anything that isn't something we love, which means we are getting rid of most of it. But we are kind of doing it in reverse, I'm getting rid of all the big storage items (bookcases, a stand alone pantry, shelving, etc) and it is leaving us with piles of stuff to go through that were stored in these places. When you look at that stuff in piles instead in a neatly stored place it is really easy to see it for what it is. I'm excited to count up the amount of cash I've been accumulating from these Craigslist sales, I've had a person or two a day coming by the house for major items. Woot!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Everyone making money on ebay and craigslist, what non-furniture items have you been selling?  I've just been donating everything because I figured I wouldn't get anything for my clothes (5-15 years old), kitchen odds and ends, etc. and it'd cost too much to ship via craigslist.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #991 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Everyone making money on ebay and craigslist, what non-furniture items have you been selling?  I've just been donating everything because I figured I wouldn't get anything for my clothes (5-15 years old), kitchen odds and ends, etc. and it'd cost too much to ship via craigslist.

We've sold a lot of small things on Craigslist, especially kitchen appliances we decided to get rid of. We never ship anything, just meet in person with the buyer  in our apartment lobby or a coffee shop nearby. I wouldn't bother selling clothing unless it was quite valuable though.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #992 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Most of the stuff I've sold on eBay has been vintage or collectible memorabilia, and even some of that can be hard to sell. The newer items are usually in very good condition and/or quirky. I have a floor length gown that I bought in 2004 which still has its tags & was never worn.  It's a style that will work today, though it hasn't sold yet. The clothes I don't think I can sell on eBay are either sold at a local consignment shop or donated. Misc kitchen and household items are either donated or I'll have a yard sale every couple years.  I make a list of what is donated and even take photos, and our CPA has an Excel spreadsheet to figure out the tax donation amount.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #993 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »

Things I've sold most recently:  pair of car seat covers, ski goggles, a camera tripod, bike rack for car.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #994 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Just put some stuff on ebay and half.com, let's see how this goes.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #995 on: January 30, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »
Great progress everyone!  Our place is also feeling much lighter lately: a whole set of books by one author (25? titles) given away to a very appreciative friend, sold and gave away about a shelf worth of crafting supplies, added more music and movies and clothes to the donation pile, and when my husband's wallet died and we had to replace it I was finally able to convince him that I should sell the one he was given as a gift a YEAR ago that was still new in box. He never liked it, but a happy buyer just took it away and that almost paid for his new one.

Nancy

« Reply #996 on: January 31, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

That is what has motivated us, we aren't paying to move anything that isn't something we love, which means we are getting rid of most of it. But we are kind of doing it in reverse, I'm getting rid of all the big storage items (bookcases, a stand alone pantry, shelving, etc) and it is leaving us with piles of stuff to go through that were stored in these places. When you look at that stuff in piles instead in a neatly stored place it is really easy to see it for what it is. I'm excited to count up the amount of cash I've been accumulating from these Craigslist sales, I've had a person or two a day coming by the house for major items. Woot!

Nice job on the sales! I've yet to try the put everything in a big pile and then declutter method. It makes a lot of sense (actually being able to see the massive amount of stuff). I was always afraid that I'd get halfway through and then have a monster pile of junk to climb over for the rest of my life. Of course, now that I've written that, it sounds ridiculous and unfounded (I know I'd just put it away). Off I go to give it a try.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #997 on: January 31, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
Piles work.  All my current knitting is on my bed.  I can see that I have to get over my dislike of turning a short-row heel in toe-up socks.  I  have many wonderful socks that are done up to this point.  February project now identified - sweet tomato heel (thanks to whoever pointed this out to me) here I come!  And two-at-a-time so I don't end up with half pairs.  I may have to buy a few long cables in the proper size needles, but that is better than what I have now.

Nice job on the sales! I've yet to try the put everything in a big pile and then declutter method. It makes a lot of sense (actually being able to see the massive amount of stuff). I was always afraid that I'd get halfway through and then have a monster pile of junk to climb over for the rest of my life. Of course, now that I've written that, it sounds ridiculous and unfounded (I know I'd just put it away). Off I go to give it a try.

Nancy

« Reply #998 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
My goodness! The piles really work! I decluttered all cabinets in my bathroom, so that room is done. Woot!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #999 on: February 01, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
This week I freecycled 6 scented candles that gave me a headache and 6 bottles of nail polish, and also sold a necklace on Ebay.  Woot!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!