Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851451 times)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
I'm coming to post my goal for the weekend (to hold me accountable!): Clean out one cabinet in my kitchen. I want to have a cabinet dedicated to canning supplies/storage only. I'm going to start doing more canning in 2014, so I need some space to store the equipment and the things I can. This means I need to get rid of other kitchen items I don't use!

I'm really debating on getting rid of my microwave, which I hardly use. Since I have such a small kitchen, this would massively free up counter space! Has anyone else given it up?

Did it! Found room in one kitchen cabinet for canning items and took the microwave out of the kitchen. I'm going to keep it in my closet for one month and see if I ever feel like I need it. If not, I'm selling it in January.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
I'm going through my stacks of magazines.  I have 3 years worth of my college alumni magazine and Martha Stewart Living (gift & freebie) that I need to cull before I move at the end of December.  Right now I'm trying to go through 1-2 each night I'm home.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
I'm going through my stacks of magazines.  I have 3 years worth of my college alumni magazine and Martha Stewart Living (gift & freebie) that I need to cull before I move at the end of December.  Right now I'm trying to go through 1-2 each night I'm home.

Magazines are a common perpetrator. If they're that valuable, you can scan key articles or pictures into Evernote (and tag them to make them easily searchable!) or switch to electronic subscriptions.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

Magazines are a common perpetrator. If they're that valuable, you can scan key articles or pictures into Evernote (and tag them to make them easily searchable!) or switch to electronic subscriptions.

I'm going low tech.  After reading I'm ripping out pages of things I want to keep from MSL.  I'm tossing the alumni magazine except 1-2 special ones (e.g. where my husband and I have a mention in the class notes for being married, or one where I'm featured in a cover story).

Maybe I'll never go through the ripped pages, but at least I'll have cut down the pile by 95% by doing so.

But yes, they are evil for just kind of slipping on you.  And then going through them becomes a chore instead of a pleasure.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Donating is also much easier for me, but there are some things I prefer to sell (e.g. they will fetch a good price, or they are quite specific/niche so I want it to go to someone who really wants it).

As for magazines/books... I'm also having to think about what to do with that. Most of mine are related to food and wine, or cookbooks, and some of the content isn't necessarily always easily searchable on the internet. I'll have to think about which of the information/recipes I'm actually likely to use, and discard the rest. And, since I'll be moving next year, if I really want to keep something, I will also have to think about whether it would make more sense to sell it and buy again later if I'm still set on it.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2013, 03:50:43 AM »
What about listing them on Amazon?  I did this for several nicer books that I didn't think the used book store would pay enough for.  It doesn't require a picture, just the ISBN or title a description of the condition.  If you truly don't care about making money off of them , you could just charge enough to cover the cost of shipping, whatever that might be.  It would at least expose the books to a wider audience who might be interested in some harder to find articles.

I guess I'm not really familiar with Austrailian postal practices, but in the US there is a special rate for shipping books/educational materials, so this might be feasible.
Thank you for the suggestion. Many of these titles are published pre-ISBNs and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to list a title on Amazon that has not been previously listed. Bulk consignments of printed matter can be sent by sea to a single address, but apart from that there's no separate print/book postage rate. A parcel weighing 1.5 - 2 kg costs $56.90 by air (which is what most Amazon buyers would want); $62.90 if tracked; and $40.60 even by sea.

I have had a little success selling via Fishpond to Australian & NZ buyers, but again it only works if the title is fairly mainstream and recent. They really don't handle narrow interest scarce books with no ISBN, and certainly not without a photo.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
Ive sold some of my daughters toys on Craiglist this week. She set them up for the pictures, so I gave her some of the money. I also sold a textbook that I had for $30 on half.com, and I have 3 auctions going on ebay.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Throwing in here :) I'd like to nuke a lot of my stuff.  I already had a lot of textbooks posted on Amazon (probably burned close to $1k on them total) but now I'm sick of storing them.  Lowered the price on most things so that they're within a couple bucks of the lowest price, just to get it moved.  Whatever is still sitting by my desk in February (when the first week of school has passed for everyone around here) they'll go to Half Price.

I went through around half a dozen bags of clothing last summer (I lived overseas for 2 months, and came back with a wake-up call!) but will need to again soon (because I get a lot of free t-shirts and they are almost always too big for me!).  I've also got some businessy clothes that are too big or getting pilly that can also go.

Any suggestions for off-beat items to sell beyond eBay and Craigslist for random stuff like:

- Wetsuit (for triathlons, not sports)
- Queen sized air mattresses
- car parts (switches for an old car)

I've posted them but if they don't sell, I'm not sure if there's something similar to a consignment shop for clothing for these - or if I just give it to Goodwill and shrug?

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
My red shirt had been sitting in my donation bin for a while.  When a relative mentioned in passing about needing a bit of red fabric for a quilt, guess where that shirt went.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2013, 01:54:51 AM »
I'm in! My cluttered room is attached :) we're sacrificing a room until January 31st to work through all the clutter that was hiding in the house.

AustinKat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2013, 05:28:15 AM »
Throwing in here :) I'd like to nuke a lot of my stuff.  I already had a lot of textbooks posted on Amazon (probably burned close to $1k on them total) but now I'm sick of storing them.  Lowered the price on most things so that they're within a couple bucks of the lowest price, just to get it moved.  Whatever is still sitting by my desk in February (when the first week of school has passed for everyone around here) they'll go to Half Price.

Don't know how old your textbooks are, but Chegg (http://www.chegg.com/selltextbooks) might buy them (and they'll even pay for shipping). Worth a shot.

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
Just sold 4 old winter tires for my Mustang (sold 2 years ago).  They've been in my garage for 2 years collecting dust.  Finally unloaded them on CL for $100!  Feels great!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

Don't know how old your textbooks are, but Chegg (http://www.chegg.com/selltextbooks) might buy them (and they'll even pay for shipping). Worth a shot.

Ah, thanks! I haven't heard of this service before.  Their prices are pretty low but something is better than nothing (and possibly better than Half Price).

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Any suggestions for off-beat items to sell beyond eBay and Craigslist for random stuff like:

I've posted them but if they don't sell, I'm not sure if there's something similar to a consignment shop for clothing for these - or if I just give it to Goodwill and shrug?

Do you have Freecycle where you live? That way they would go to someone who actually wants them.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

Do you have Freecycle where you live? That way they would go to someone who actually wants them.

Oh yes, we do - I was just hoping not to turn 200$ into 0$ (the battle-cry of hoarders everywhere).  Freecycle would be the 'free' option, over Goodwill, but I'd rather get 50$ of 5$ for it than nothing, you know?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »

Oh yes, we do - I was just hoping not to turn 200$ into 0$ (the battle-cry of hoarders everywhere).  Freecycle would be the 'free' option, over Goodwill, but I'd rather get 50$ of 5$ for it than nothing, you know?

Check out the laws in your state.  In mine, you may not sell used mattresses.  I don't know if an air mattress would count or not.  The issue is a lot of people are uncomfortable buying it used, same as with wetsuits from a bit of the skeevy factor.  I might recommend giving up on those two if you are not having much luck.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
Check out the laws in your state.  In mine, you may not sell used mattresses.  I don't know if an air mattress would count or not.  The issue is a lot of people are uncomfortable buying it used, same as with wetsuits from a bit of the skeevy factor.  I might recommend giving up on those two if you are not having much luck.

It's legal to sell used mattresses - I've purchased one.  The skeeve factor might get me though.  Guess we'll see!  I only posted it within the last week so we'll see what shakes out.

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
Gotta love the useless laws out there.  Uh, if you don't want a used mattress or wet suit, don't buy it used.   

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »

I went through around half a dozen bags of clothing last summer (I lived overseas for 2 months, and came back with a wake-up call!) but will need to again soon (because I get a lot of free t-shirts and they are almost always too big for me!).  I've also got some businessy clothes that are too big or getting pilly that can also go.

For your wetsuit, is there a Play It Again Sports near you?  It is a used sports store that has a lot of locations across the US.  Another place to try and get rid of it is at a swap.  Around here we have a huge Ski Swap in the winter and Bike Swap in the summer where people-  mostly retailers but some individuals, too- off-load their used or last-season stuff. 

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

For your wetsuit, is there a Play It Again Sports near you?  It is a used sports store that has a lot of locations across the US.  Another place to try and get rid of it is at a swap.  Around here we have a huge Ski Swap in the winter and Bike Swap in the summer where people-  mostly retailers but some individuals, too- off-load their used or last-season stuff.

Oh we definitely do and they take wetsuits according to their website! Thanks!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

It's legal to sell used mattresses - I've purchased one.  The skeeve factor might get me though.  Guess we'll see!  I only posted it within the last week so we'll see what shakes out.

Not to beat on a dead horse, but did you buy from craigslist?  The seller might not have known about the law (if you do indeed have one in your state).  I learned about it when I bought a new mattress and they told us they charged a fee if you return it because they have to trash it.  I then looked it up.

Gotta love the useless laws out there.  Uh, if you don't want a used mattress or wet suit, don't buy it used.   

Consumer protection, I believe it's sold as.  Also known as "too many bed bug infestations" likely, which if you live in an apartment building can hurt everyone there.  Not saying I think the law is great, but providing a modicum of a reason why it may not be 100% bad.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

Not to beat on a dead horse, but did you buy from craigslist?  The seller might not have known about the law (if you do indeed have one in your state).  I learned about it when I bought a new mattress and they told us they charged a fee if you return it because they have to trash it.  I then looked it up.

Nope, I bought it from a store that sold used furniture.  According to them, they ripped out the lining, reversed it, stapled it back on, and ran the whole thing through chemical warfare.  I never caught bed bugs, rashes, or any other sort gonoherpesyphilitis from it in 5 years, and it was comfy enough, so they did something right.  Plus it was cheap. Go Minnesota laws!

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
Where do you guys stand on donating versus selling?

I've done both--with the tax write-off, I figure it's win-win anyway. However, I will not "keep things to sell later" without a clear plan of when "later" is (I enter it in my calendar as a task due for a certain date, or if it's a pile of stuff to deal with, I'll pencil a set amount of time--for instance, 20 minutes every other day until it is all gone). If I can't hold myself to the plan, or can't even bear to plan, then to Goodwill it goes.

I'm strongly allergic to clutter :)

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
Where do you guys stand on donating versus selling?

I sell large items.  Furniture, electronics, auto parts, ect.  These can be done in one transaction, for a lump sum.  You end up with more money that way as with donation, you are only getting a % off your taxes.  On the other hand, you can just make up any reasonable value, so you my be able to get more via the % off your taxes than from the cash.  Stuff like clothes and odds and ends I just donate as it's more efficient time wise, and you can get more value form the tax deduction.

dobatseatcats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
I've been working hard at decluttering and have quite a pile to unload - some of the crap in our basement storage locker isn't even mine! (leftover stuff people gave me to sell at our yard sale last summer.... yeah, never again.) We're going to be selling our condo and moving someplace cheaper in the next year so this stuff has to go!

I'm shocked at how difficult it's been to get rid of stuff on Freecycle. People not showing up when they say they will, people getting upset that I can't do daytime pickups because I work full-time and don't get home until 7 (which is clearly stated in my postings), people rescheduling over and over again until I can't keep straight who is coming when for what.

I'm really tempted to just throw this crap in the alley (in my city there's a better than even chance that someone would take it. Maybe not now though because it's snowing).

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:24 AM »
I've seen people send out a "Curb alert" and say what they have out and when the garbage will come by to pick it up.  Then people come out, or not, and the crumbs get hauled off, and you don't need to bother scheduling.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
I've got two chairs... one's a huge La-Z-Boy, the other's a nice wooden-framed sitting chair... both were rescued out of the trash. The recliner needed repair, but after using it for a while, we realized it's just too big, and we don't have room for it, so it's going back in the trash. The other chair just doesn't have a good use and it's not that comfortable, but I hate to get rid of it if we can reupholster it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
If this has been mentioned upthread, my apologies...

Has anyone here used Zumu to sell CDs?  If so, do you recommend it?  Are there other sites/services out there anyone knows of for selling CDs?

Same question for textbooks.  I know about Chegg, thanks to an earlier post.  Any other good sites out there for selling used textbooks?

Many thanks.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »

Update: I've finished everything but the MSL magazines.  I'm also vowing to stay more on top of them in the future.  Also tossed 4 sweaters in a new "one item in, one item out" policy.

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2013, 12:14:03 AM »
One bag of clothes and books to the charity shop. 21 items listed for sale on TradeMe. Photos taken of another 20ish books ready to put them up for sale too. Feeling much lighter.

Bethany J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:44 AM »
You might want to check completed listings on eBay before tossing magazines. Just sold 7 issues of Domino magazine my mother-in-law was going to toss for $39.99. Architectural Digest can do well, maybe the Martha Stewart Living also. I look up almost everything on eBay before I get rid of it, I have had many surprises over the years.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
You might want to check completed listings on eBay before tossing magazines. Just sold 7 issues of Domino magazine my mother-in-law was going to toss for $39.99. Architectural Digest can do well, maybe the Martha Stewart Living also. I look up almost everything on eBay before I get rid of it, I have had many surprises over the years.

Never thought of that.  Too bad I already ripped apart a bunch of them.  At least I still have about 20 left...  How do I see the completed listings?

Bethany J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Click on advanced search, type in whatever magazine and check completed (to show all) or just sold listings. You can also sort by highest and lowest price in the drop down box (where usually it is ended first or best match). Sorting that way has helped me sort out the best price of an item when buying also. I have been doing eBay for years (too many!!!) if anyone has any questions.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
You guys, I feel like my house is getting FULL of CLUTTER.  I'd really like to clean out my kitchen cabinets and pantry. I'll set this as my goal before 2014 arrives.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
A part progress report - in addition to going through things like papers, clothes and other items, I've been diligently trying to eat down food in my cabinets as well.  I had to throw out a jar of vodka sauce that expired in 2010 (and I'm fearful of what else I'll find), so I'm trying to keep less of a stockpile on hand, not to mention I don't want to move more food items than I need.  So I'm thrilled to say I can see space now, that it's not entirely chock full.  Maybe only 20-25% down, but that's still progress!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:59 PM »
Well done CommonCents, you've done so much even just based on your contributions on this 5th page of the thread alone!

I successfully sold a dress on eBay the other day, very happy. I'll have to go through more of my wardrobe.

Also trying to eat up stuff, cooked some couscous the other day. Had to throw out a can of coconut cream.

My boyfriend is moving interstate soon (I'll follow several months later) so he's even more dedicated to organizing his stuff at the moment and deciding what to keep and what to throw.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2013, 04:42:13 AM »
I did this to my bathroom closet stuff...

This represents about 90% of my lady stuff, and also shoe care, travel stuff, and some kid stuff.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but I estimate I reduced by about 30-40% this time.  This included taking a pile of unused/barely used stuff, putting it in a nice Christmas bag (reused), and putting it under the tree.  When my mom and sister come over for Christmas, I will let them look through it and get what they need.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »
That's really neat, jpcrowe!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
That's great! Good for you! The holidays secretly seem to be a great time to do some stuff-clearing.

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
I made $20 selling some books over the last two weeks. Another couple of auctions are due to close this weekend, and they are up to $15 already. It's not a fortune, but it's stuff that wasn't being used, so has freed up some space and given me a bit of extra cash. It's quite addictive, I think I will list a pile more stuff today. I find pictures of 'minimalist' homes a bit too empty and soulless, but at the moment I am too far the other way, and I have a long way to go until things look relaxing and spacious.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
Congrats!  And great job on selling things.  I've found part of the battle is figuring out my "geegaws" and trying to limit their incursion into my home.  For example, one was candles.  They smell so nice - but I haven't actually used them all that much so I have a ton just sitting around.  Since I recognized this, I have not bought anymore (except two for my wedding day for the altar).  I tend to let magazines pile up, so I'm trying to get better about reading immediately.

But, we just bought a house, so I think it'll be eye opening when we move and I find yet more stuff I don't really need when I pack up.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
But, we just bought a house, so I think it'll be eye opening when we move and I find yet more stuff I don't really need when I pack up.

I tend to find stuff when I pack up (ugh-I don't want to bother moving this) and then again when I unpack at the new place (ugh-why did I bother moving this?)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »

I tend to find stuff when I pack up (ugh-I don't want to bother moving this) and then again when I unpack at the new place (ugh-why did I bother moving this?)

That's actually why I've been trying to declutter (I actually started this summer), but it almost seems never ending.  There are definitely closets I haven't even gotten into.  And we have only 931 sq ft apt!  Another problem I have is getting rid of gifts.  My brother and his wife the past few years have given us sports themed gifts at Christmas - potato heads and gnome guys etc.  It's frustrating to unwrap because 1) sports is more my husband than me and 2) I just see it as clutter.  I am hoping this year is different, and next year I'm proposing a present truce.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

I completely identify!!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Finally went through the other half of my desk, with the "stuff" rather than papers.  Pens to binder clips to old phone boxes and random stuff.  I was not nearly as ruthless as I should have been, but I did get rid of: a bag full of magnets, a bag of binder clips (going to take to the office), a bag of old keys, and random papers.  Found a Panera gift card with $5 still on it from 6 years ago, last used in 2010, and a roll of pennies.  Also wrapped up some brightly multi-colored eraser shapes for my nephew (dog, star, smile, fish) from when I must have been who knows how old to add to his Christmas presents and threw away the dingy ones.  Found a very small present I picked up for a friend about 1-2 years ago and wrapped that up too.  Boxed up everything in a Barnes and Noble box I had around here.

It's amazing how much stuff I've just carried from place to place, like the eraser shapes, without reflecting on it.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
I am almost finished with my last scan/shred campaign.  The only documents left (of mine, anyway) are stuff like ID.

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
I hadn't even thought of listing paperwork. Yesterday, in a fit of boredom at listing more books for sale, I went through some piles of paperwork instead. I managed to clear out a two inch thick pile of random stuff.

I'm now reading my way through the 'Not Buying Anything' blog and getting more inspired to minimize.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: December 22, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »
I've been trying to embrace minimalism and did a BIG purge (which is funny because I live in a 750 SQ Ft house with basically 2 closets, so where I'm keeping all this stuff I don't know), and donated like 6 garbage bags to Goodwill. Now I'm using up the Xmas bags I hoard with gift-giving, as well as gifting some of my travel/sample cosmetics (to a friend who I know likes them). Also started on a big paperwork fest. Finally installed the printer/scanner, and scanned years worth of medical claims/statements so I can shred the actual copies. Off to shred now!

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »
I've been trying to embrace minimalism and did a BIG purge (which is funny because I live in a 750 SQ Ft house with basically 2 closets, so where I'm keeping all this stuff I don't know), and donated like 6 garbage bags to Goodwill. Now I'm using up the Xmas bags I hoard with gift-giving, as well as gifting some of my travel/sample cosmetics (to a friend who I know likes them). Also started on a big paperwork fest. Finally installed the printer/scanner, and scanned years worth of medical claims/statements so I can shred the actual copies. Off to shred now!

I can learn from you!  Paper trips us up.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »

800 square feet here, two tiny closets.  (Well, and a linen closet, it's just towel shelves.) 

I have no idea how there was ever as much stuff in here as I had.  And however much I seem to get rid of, there is always more.  It seriously is like peeling back an onion.