Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851444 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5000 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5001 on: July 18, 2017, 05:13:45 AM »
We are trying to finish/repurpose the remaining areas of the basement and are getting bogged down with all the furniture and stuff that we just keep packing away in basement for no particular reason.  I started going through it and got overwhelmed - at the soccer bin.  Four pairs of cleats that fit no one.  Six pairs of shin pads.  Now they are in the garage, along with a lot of other stuff.  Hubs and son were looking at the gear and saying things like: those are in great shape, only wore that half a season.  If I had done this in April, all the gear could have been donated to the club for their boot swap fundraiser.

My plan is to get the junk out of the basement to the garage.  September will roll around soon enough and parking in the garage becomes a priority for others - then garage gets cleared out.  Just trying to go through one bin at a time with stuff I should be dealing with and leaving other peoples stuff alone.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5002 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

You wouldn't believe the arguments and yelling that have happened because my sister and I have told our mother, gently and nicely, that we won't be taking all the crap from her house.

So now, we get emails periodically that are "either of you want x?" and we usually respond with no thanks. However, she's nibbling around the edges and not addressing the elephants in the room. All because its FAMILYYYYYYYYYYYY stuff.

There may be a support thread eventually when they're forced to sell the house and move. Which will be fairly soon (5 years max) due to dad's dementia getting worse.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5003 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
I'm cleaning out my youngest son's room that has been overtaken with toys so much that he can't really play with them.

A little progress. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5004 on: July 21, 2017, 01:35:28 AM »
I went through our bathroom cupboard and drawers. Everything in there, we use! There were only a couple of small things to throw out. We might be able to move the hand towels or something back into that room!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5005 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »
Does this count?  I made my teenagers tidy up the linen closet.  Nothing got thrown out but you can see everything and they might be less tempted to root around like piglets when they are looking for a beach towel.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5006 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
Does this count?  I made my teenagers tidy up the linen closet.  Nothing got thrown out but you can see everything and they might be less tempted to root around like piglets when they are looking for a beach towel.

It counts. and, if you make them tidy the linen closet regularly, they're less likely to make a mess because they know they'll just have to clean it up!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5007 on: July 21, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Back on track! The recent move has made me realize how much stuff I still have and how much of it is pure sunk cost. My hope is to lighten the load before our next move in ten months.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5008 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
I'm going to spend this weekend decluttering!

It's amazing how much stuff you gather when you are two minimalistic, frugal adults who have never had any kind of hoarding tendencies. I think boyfriend's clothes might be the next thing. I don't have a lot of clothes (just enough to wear for a weak and a few special occasion outfits) but my boyfriend wears band shirts and those are hard to get rid of. I have heard of a lot of minimalistic men who can't get rid of their band shirts. I'm not asking him to get rid of his favourite shirts from his favourite bands, but as he's in a band he's traded t-shirts with other bands, received shirts from festivals they played at or he worked at, he even has shirts from bands he hates that he got for free from a store he used to work in. They used to give the shirts that no one bought (Coldplay) as freebies to the employees.  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

One problem of ours is that we don't have a car. When we have something to recycle, it sits in the hallway for a long time before we take it out to where it needs to go. We do everything by bike, including holidays, so there's no reason why we can't take the bag of glass bottles or the bag of old textile, but for some reason it doesn't happen. I have just dug five boxes of waste paper from our basement. It's just easier to dump it there than actually remember when collection day is (it's this Monday).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5009 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Kudos on the decluttering push. Personally, I don't use age - the shorts I wore today are roughly 25 years old....

Decluttering roughly half of them last year is why I am actually wearing them instead of being stuffed in an overflow drawer that I don't need. Heck, I no longer even have that dresser - the whole thing went. Eventually.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5010 on: July 22, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Kudos on the decluttering push. Personally, I don't use age - the shorts I wore today are roughly 25 years old....

Decluttering roughly half of them last year is why I am actually wearing them instead of being stuffed in an overflow drawer that I don't need. Heck, I no longer even have that dresser - the whole thing went. Eventually.

That's exactly why I'm decluttering. We have a cupboard in our bedroom that we bought when we lived somewhere else. This house came with a built-in cupboard in our bedroom, so we don't need that extra cupboard anymore. I'm emptying the bedroom out now so I can paint it and I'm not willing to put that thing back.

We generally wear lots of old clothes too. Not 25 years old, as he's only 30 ;-) but he has a nice pair of Levi's jeans that I think he's worn for almost 15 years. I'm taking my winter coat to the dry cleaner's later today and it's also at least 10 years old. But if you keep buying new shirts, you need to throw out old shirts. I came across an old Hot Rod Helloween costume, so that's one thing we don't have to buy this year...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5011 on: July 22, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »

That's exactly why I'm decluttering. We have a cupboard in our bedroom that we bought when we lived somewhere else. This house came with a built-in cupboard in our bedroom, so we don't need that extra cupboard anymore. I'm emptying the bedroom out now so I can paint it and I'm not willing to put that thing back.

We generally wear lots of old clothes too. Not 25 years old, as he's only 30 ;-) but he has a nice pair of Levi's jeans that I think he's worn for almost 15 years. I'm taking my winter coat to the dry cleaner's later today and it's also at least 10 years old. But if you keep buying new shirts, you need to throw out old shirts. I came across an old Hot Rod Helloween costume, so that's one thing we don't have to buy this year...

My mom is big on decluttering. Dad is a pack rat. However, between visits she almost always gets a few things pried out of his possession - typically clothing he can't fit into any more. I've inherited quite a few shirts, some socks and a GREAT vintage corduroy jacket that's older than I am. Gets worn every winter. But the stuff I won't wear I just thank them for and put in the box for Goodwill.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5012 on: July 22, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »

It's amazing how much stuff you gather when you are two minimalistic, frugal adults who have never had any kind of hoarding tendencies. I think boyfriend's clothes might be the next thing. I don't have a lot of clothes (just enough to wear for a weak and a few special occasion outfits) but my boyfriend wears band shirts and those are hard to get rid of. I have heard of a lot of minimalistic men who can't get rid of their band shirts. I'm not asking him to get rid of his favourite shirts from his favourite bands, but as he's in a band he's traded t-shirts with other bands, received shirts from festivals they played at or he worked at, he even has shirts from bands he hates that he got for free from a store he used to work in. They used to give the shirts that no one bought (Coldplay) as freebies to the employees.  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Have you ever thought of making a tshirt quilt with the ones that do not fit? They are easy to do, and then you will have a useful quilt instead of drawers full of old, unworn shirts. You can also pay people to make them for you, but it is easy enough to do yourself. They can be done by hand, but if you have a sewing machine, or access to one, it is a snap.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5013 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

Have you ever thought of making a tshirt quilt with the ones that do not fit? They are easy to do, and then you will have a useful quilt instead of drawers full of old, unworn shirts. You can also pay people to make them for you, but it is easy enough to do yourself. They can be done by hand, but if you have a sewing machine, or access to one, it is a snap.

I hadn't really thought of that, but that's an option too! I am actually a quilter and I've made several quilts from old jeans and I never thought about a band shirt quilt! As he's in a band, that might actually be a nice thing to take with him on the road.

I also went through our collection of winter gear and we have way too much scarves, many of them hand knit. My brother works for a charity supporting homeless people, so these are going to him. Maybe a good place for some of those band shirts as well, but as they get a lot of clothing he's going to check if t-shirts are what they need right now (limited storage space).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5014 on: July 22, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
This counts as decluttering to me. I borrowed a pressure washer from a friend (was going to rent and got lucky) to try to get the paint off the garage. Failed on that, but succeeded in cleaning out the garage!

Took all 42 cans of paint up to the hazardous waste drop off, along with the bag of lightbulbs.
Got rid of the layer of dirt that was on the concrete (several inches in a couple places).
Large pile of misc junk dragged out to the trash, and posted a "free" on Craigslist in case anyone wants it. Various wood (no, I'm NOT saving all the scraps of wood, just in case. That's why there's a large pile out back right now)
Large bag filled with misc trash that was on the floor, walls, ceiling or wherever.
For the first time ever, got the garage door open! Yeah, I need to replace it, there's some pieces of metal actually holding the door together...
Posted the 8 ft ladder that was in the garage on craigslist. (I have other, better ones)
Posted the pile of firewood on craigslist
Posted the firepit or whatever it is on craigslist.
Powerwashed all the walls, ceilings, the doors, shelves, etc.

I forgot to take the tv up to the e-waste though, so that's still in the garage :(

And since everything is out of the garage, I can put it all back in an organized, neat fashion. Just debating when - the garage is pretty wet, so it would be best for it dry some before I put stuff back in.

There's more stuff in the garage that I'll need help getting down. Not sure what most of that is, but there's at least one piece of PVC. However, it's not in the way, so can wait.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5015 on: July 22, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
And since everything is out of the garage, I can put it all back in an organized, neat fashion. Just debating when - the garage is pretty wet, so it would be best for it dry some before I put stuff back in.

If you have ever wanted to epoxy the garage floor, this is the time!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5016 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
Spent an hour on my pantry this morning.

Took everything out, wiped down the shelves, topped up my jars and canisters, updated some labels, and put a tin and a couple of jars without lids out for recycling.

My pantry looks gorgeous now. Twice I've gone and opened the door just to admire my handiwork. :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5017 on: July 23, 2017, 01:39:31 AM »
I went through our bathroom cupboard and drawers. Everything in there, we use! There were only a couple of small things to throw out. We might be able to move the hand towels or something back into that room!
and now I've photographed and emailed my siblings in case they want the kitchen gadgets or castoffs from our grandma (they are not nice clothes, just ones she doesn't want any more).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5018 on: July 23, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
Getting a lot of stuff out of the basement to prepare for painting and flooring.  It looks so amazing.  Some of it will be coming back but I am going to guard the stairs so carefully so that nothing we don't need makes it back into that area.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5019 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »

Multiple deep cracks in the floor. Wouldn't work. I'm happy to get all the dirt out. (this isn't attached to the house btw)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5020 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
@With This Herring: normally I'd agree with you. In this case, 1) there is no such free space and 2) ostensibly the ball is "mine", as I bought it and used it in place of an office chair for a time.

I'm taking a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach on this one item. Thanks for the deflation links!

Oh!  I didn't know it is yours!  That makes a big difference.  :)

He's been back from vacation since Thursday and hasn't noticed it's gone!  Win!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5021 on: July 23, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
i decluttered my jewelry box and made $166 selling the broken gold necklaces, earrings with no match, etc. Then the costume jewelry I gave to friends and the rest to the thrift store.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5022 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
A carload of things to the donation center yesterday.  They rejected 2 boxes, which we sort of expected (vhs tapes mostly).  Still, only those 2 boxes of things will need to be thrown out, the rest will hopefully find new homes!  I think the highest demand things are going to be the 2x and 3x sized men's clothes, those are just hard to find at a reasonable price.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5023 on: July 23, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »
They rejected 2 boxes, which we sort of expected (vhs tapes mostly).

Funny - those are in high demand at the Goodwill near us, along with VCRs.   I guess everyone takes them to the cottage for rainy days.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5024 on: July 23, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
They rejected 2 boxes, which we sort of expected (vhs tapes mostly).

Funny - those are in high demand at the Goodwill near us, along with VCRs.   I guess everyone takes them to the cottage for rainy days.
Huh, interesting.  Well I just found out that DH posted to Facebook about the tapes and very quickly had 2 people say they would like some.  Better than the trash!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5025 on: July 23, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »

Multiple deep cracks in the floor. Wouldn't work. I'm happy to get all the dirt out. (this isn't attached to the house btw)

When my father did it, I think he first filled cracks with...something.  (I was not around for the project.)  But good job and good riddance to dirt!

@With This Herring: normally I'd agree with you. In this case, 1) there is no such free space and 2) ostensibly the ball is "mine", as I bought it and used it in place of an office chair for a time.

I'm taking a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach on this one item. Thanks for the deflation links!

Oh!  I didn't know it is yours!  That makes a big difference.  :)

He's been back from vacation since Thursday and hasn't noticed it's gone!  Win!

Congratulations!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5026 on: July 23, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Gave away 2 kitchen items through a FB group. Feels good.

I'm debating whether to give away a DVD box set that is UK region or whether to wait and lug it over to the UK next visit (next year) and try to sell it for a few pounds or even give it away there to charity. It cost about $100 and it was a gift. We were in the UK one year at Xmas and for some reason DH thought he'd buy it there. I should have returned it at the time but didn't click and ended up never watching it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5027 on: July 24, 2017, 04:22:21 AM »
Not decluttering as such, but decluttering my to-do list and reducing waste, so I think I can count it? I mended a stack of hand-me down maternity clothes. Just some seams that had given way, and a bit of darning on a nightdress that had one hole but was otherwise perfectly functional and very comfortable.

I also took the opportunity to be ruthless with my non-maternity clothes as I was packing them away. There are many items from my early dressmaking days using fabrics that I no longer care for. I sewed size labels in (our local charity shop won't sell clothes without size labels) and they are now in the donate box. Feels good to get that done - my pregnancy lethargy and morning sickness had made that seem like a much bigger task than it really was.

Plus I'm definitely decluttering my friend's houses by accepting all their old maternity stuff LOL.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5028 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:18 AM »
With my daughter moving out next weekend, I am "getting rid" of the following:
- a dresser, a nightstand, a sofa and a small end table (she is getting a new bed)
- a couple of pots and pans
- some bowls and utensils
- some towels and bed linens

We also donated 3 large bags of assorted clothes and random stuff yesterday.  And after doing another purge of her closet, she packed another large bag for donation.  Some paperwork and stuffed toys will also be leaving my house (she will store her remaining possessions that she doesn't want to get rid of in her dad's house).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5029 on: July 24, 2017, 06:00:37 AM »
Got rid of two kitchen gadgets at the weekend, feels good. One was bulky so I won't be moving it to get to other stuff now.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5030 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
Gave away 2 kitchen items through a FB group. Feels good.

I'm debating whether to give away a DVD box set that is UK region or whether to wait and lug it over to the UK next visit (next year) and try to sell it for a few pounds or even give it away there to charity. It cost about $100 and it was a gift. We were in the UK one year at Xmas and for some reason DH thought he'd buy it there. I should have returned it at the time but didn't click and ended up never watching it.
Turn those into a video file and chuck the physical DVD.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5031 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Queen bed set
- LCD TV and stand
- Standing Hammock
- Paper Shredder
- Small TV Stand
- DVD player

To be listed:
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:02:11 AM by sw1tch »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5032 on: July 24, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Finally decided it was stupid to keep decorative pillows.

Recently got rid of:
8 pillows, decorative and one body
Two nightstands
A giant makeup kit I barely used that is years past expiration
Bathtub mat
1 bathroom floor mat out of 2

Probably need to tackle the wash cloths and tons of towels from a short-lived Airbnb stint.

Car tools and cleaning supplies are a real problem but I can't part with any of it. :( It's not a crazy amount, enough to fit in a small apartment if necessary, but still. I don't trust my car with those touchless car washes. I guess polish, compound, etc isn't super necessary but it does help increase resale value I suppose?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5033 on: July 24, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
If your car is shiny, it will definitely fetch more if you sell to a private party. It's usually cheaper to keep your car detailed if you do it yourself. I wouldn't worry about that stuff, sounds like you use it regularly.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5034 on: July 26, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
I took my car into a local garage this morning for some work.  Yesterday I started clearing it out, which was on my to do list for months already and moved to the top because of being out of my sight for awhile.  I have been so proud of my progress in shredding and getting rid of old paperwork.  In my trunk was a bag of paperwork to be shredded that I shoved in there to take care of 'later' about a year ago.  I'm finding things from 1990 in there.  It seems that my 'later' stacks that I've shoved various places for the past 10 or so years will haunt me for awhile yet.  Now is that 'later', though, so I work my way through them.  I also take care of paperwork as it comes in now.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5035 on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »
This week is the conversion of our long-time tool storage room (from the building of the house) into a rental bedroom for awhile before hopefully it becomes the originally planned library in a few years. Anyway, husband got the walls finished and the trim and light fixture up, then on to the emptying. Lots of building scraps too small to use went to the transfer station (snuck it out of county since our county has no legal way to dispose of anything, even if you're willing to pay, so don't tell!) Also a broken fan and a broken kerosene heater, and an ancient all-in-one which no longer either prints or scans (see above about no legal way to dispose of anything...)

The he took a bunch of building materials that are not too small to use elsewhere to the barn. The room is nearly ready (still sawdust everywhere, but that's tomorrow's project).

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5036 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
Sent the old bluray player and a bunch of movies (VHS, DVD and Bluray) down to the local goodwill store run by The Salvation Army in my country.   Feels good.

Now I gotta get rid of three pieces of furniture too.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5037 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »
lemanfan, I also have a box to go to donation; it does feel good!

Mr. O is supposed to take the box, but hasn't yet.  I found a few filing supplies & binders that I want to go, so started a new box already!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5038 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
I have found a creative way to declutter my yarn stash! I don't have a massive amount of yarn, just one box, but still plenty of bits and ends I'd never use normally. My brother works with homeless people and he's known for always wearing a striped scarf I knitted for him. I'm going to use all my bits and ends to knit more scarves and hats like that so he can give them to people who need them. It might be a strange season for knitting winter gear but I hope to have a bag full by the time it's winter.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5039 on: July 27, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
I have found a creative way to declutter my yarn stash! I don't have a massive amount of yarn, just one box, but still plenty of bits and ends I'd never use normally. My brother works with homeless people and he's known for always wearing a striped scarf I knitted for him. I'm going to use all my bits and ends to knit more scarves and hats like that so he can give them to people who need them. It might be a strange season for knitting winter gear but I hope to have a bag full by the time it's winter.

Knitters, and crafters in general, usually work in the off season, so the items are ready to go when needed.  It's not strange to a knitter!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5040 on: July 28, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
One person is coming over tonight to buy the cat tree (which my silly cats don't use!), and someone else is supposed to come tomorrow to get the fire pit/whatever it is out of the back yard. It will be nice to mow down the 3 ft tall grass behind it.

Update: cat tree is gone!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:16:51 PM by Sibley »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5041 on: July 28, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
Decided to post my 46" smart TV for sale! Apparently I priced it too cheap at $150 because of the amount of interest I got, but oh well. Beats waiting around for someone to buy.

It's a bit of an older TV, so it makes any room incredibly hot. Good riddance. BF already has a 32" one anyway.

My next move should be a breeze. The only furniture I have in my possession is a bed, a tiny TV stand, and two chairs. I could get rid of all of those but I really like all of them. I guess that's how it should be!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5042 on: July 29, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
Fire pit is gone! And I cleaned up where it was a bit.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5043 on: July 29, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
Fire pit is gone! And I cleaned up where it was a bit.

Well done!

I have a feeling I might be done decluttering for now. I get that feeling sometimes, and then 2 months later I see so much more clutter that I start again. Strangely, after several rounds of decluttering, our house is still far from empty.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5044 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »
Due to DD's moving out, a lot of stuff left my house: furniture (sofa, dresser, chair, two nightstands), two lamps, bed linens, towels, an umbrella, some pots and pans, utensils, hand held mixer, bowls, measuring cup and other miscellaneous things.  Hopefully she'll want some other stuff once she's situated in her new place :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5045 on: July 31, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
Got rid of a breast pump a friend gave me as a back up that is a different brand than what i use.

Also got rid of the extra flanges for my pump that don't fit me.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5046 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:17 AM »
Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Queen bed set
- LCD TV and stand
- Standing Hammock
- Paper Shredder
- Small TV Stand

To be listed:
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Card Table and 5 chairs
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:08:59 AM by sw1tch »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5047 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
Gave away my two favorite pairs of shoes. They are the cutest shoes and I love them. But my tendinitis doesn't let me wear heels anymore. So they are useless to me.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5048 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
More clearing out of the basement.  Not all of it has left the property but moving it out to the garage is so close to it being gone.
Daughter has caught the bug.  She is 13 and has started to part with toys.  She threw out a ton of actual garbage and recycling she had stashed in her giant closet.  The carrot for all this is that we are going to paint her bedroom a new colour.  (We can't paint it with all that stuff in there.)
Son, 16, is easily giving away the mego blocks, kinex and some other non-lego stuff.  He has been organizing his lego in his bedroom and playing with it more. 
The toys in the basement only get played with when nieces and nephews visit.  I am going to keep all the good books and the really durable toys - for various ages but most of it needs to go.

My mom shows up with junk every time she visits. Hopefully the concrete rabbit with the broken ear and the concrete patch can just leave.  It is painted grey and pink and it looks so fake and ugly, I can't bear to have it in my garden.  She had it out of the car and into my daughter's hands as a 'birthday' present/project. 

My mom has passed along a huge pile of Halloween costumes.  A lot of it is musty rags but I think I will wash what I can and offer to my brothers (they have kids under 5) and the rest is going. It was great fun to play dress up when I was a kid.  All of it is now too small for my guys.  The sonic costume I made my son when he was nine (the mask took me 10 hours) is staying.  He still likes to wear the mask every now and then....
What is so surprising is how much complete junk we have.  Things with absolutely no functional life left.
We found:
The counterweight for a garage door. Hubs thought it might be useful for something.  I said - what if it contains lead?  Hubs said - this form of lead is safe.  I said - so why do we want to store it in the basement?  It was in the house when we bought it.  It is now in the garage.
Some long heavy metal rods.
A couple of pieces of tiles from our previous house.
A bunch of tiles that were leftover from floors that we have removed from this house.
Broken florescent lights.
A collection of broken, stripped and bent nails and screws and pieces from snapped knife blades.
Paint stir sticks - stuck together from paint stirring.

In addition to the many papers and user manuals of everything we have bought in the last twenty years.

It feels so amazing to get rid of this stuff.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5049 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
Gave away my two favorite pairs of shoes. They are the cutest shoes and I love them. But my tendinitis doesn't let me wear heels anymore. So they are useless to me.
I donated all of my pairs of heels except for one pair a few years ago.  It was a great decision.  My feet feel better.  My running has improved, and I have way more room in my closet.  :)

I've stalled out on the clearing of clutter.  We got a new puppy, so the clutter has been coming in the house more and more...I'm feeling overwhelmed.  I need to start tackling one room a week.