Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851812 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4650 on: April 16, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »
I can imagine your expression at the wine cover! I'd be a mixture of confused and resigned!

I found a new FB giveaway group and successfully gave away books and DVDs that had been sat waiting to get out of the house for months. I may also have a taker for a broken stereo but they might flake.

Also I pulled out a bag and box to find the stereo and found one was covered in mould. It had three pairs of shoes that are mouldy. So I talked to DH about it - how if he wants to hold onto so much stuff in our humid environment then he'll have to clean it. It's not healthy having mould growing.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4651 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
Finally got through all of our storage closet.  Got rid of a pyrex 9x11 dish and covered cake pan to my sister.  Donating a tea light candle holder and a couple of kid plates.  Threw out some old food (this closet also stores extra food items).  We have wire shelves and 1 wall only has 1 shelf that is up high and it stores paper products.  Found some carabiners and used the shelf to hang up assorted bags that were cluttered and crammed into a space.  Also was able to put like items together so now the storage space is better organized.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4652 on: April 17, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
BiL staying tonight. I am giving him a toiletry bag full of miniatures (he always forgets to pack toiletries).

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4653 on: April 17, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
-DS#1 sold a musical instrument for me, we split the proceeds
-I listed a unused gift on Kijiji and got a meeting set up..that will net some cash tomorrow
-I donated some new and some used hardware
-I try to sell/trade some organisational stuff, and drives me crazy that everybody "likes" it but I didn't get rid of it yet
-got rid of around 1 bag of various other stuff--

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #4654 on: April 18, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
Just moved houses.  Friends who helped with the move commented that it was the easiest move they ever helped with.  That's what happens after a year of decluttering.  With pretty much everything in my house I ask, "is this ________ worth the effort of moving?"  For sooooooo many things the answer is no.

Also, Moved into a house without a yard.  So got rid of a shed full of lawn stuff and now on my days off I can get out and enjoy the city instead of working on the water sucking lawn.  Feels like freedom.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4655 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
Last weekend we did a Craigslist curb alert and got rid of our tasty old tin shed in 38 minutes!

I also finally put together the horse jumps I've been meaning to build, and took most of them out to the barn.  The others are assembled, but need to be shored up with more screws.  However they can stand on their own and are out of the shop.  Lots of scrap wood used, including a cedar mailbox post we bought super cheap and never installed because it was going to infringe on the sidewalk too much.  Next project is turning the dog house + more scrap wood and unused wire rolls into a second chicken coop/run.

Donated a large basket for a division fundraiser at work last week. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4656 on: April 18, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
I think I finally found the energy to go through the laundry stuff and sort out what we don't use, what we can use up (and never bother buying again because something else works fine), and make some proper "cleaning kits" so I can find what I need to clean up the house without searching for it. Mmm yes, I love a neatly organised cupboard!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4657 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
Donated a bag full of stuff that I've been collecting in the past month. Need to get myself back to clearing out stuff before baby comes!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4658 on: April 19, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Little craigslist win.....I had a snowmobile helmet from when we bought snowmobiles in 2004.  It was for my son who was 4 at the time.  Sold to someone who sent a check including shipping cost.  Easy enough to box up and send away. 

Oh.....and the slightly (haha) bigger item.  The 2005 snowmobile that we still had from back then.  Initially we would go up to New Hampshire several times a year, stay at a nice hotel right on the snowmobile trails and go ride all around.  Over the years, that dwindled and we rode around our property. Last 2 years, it's made its way from the shed to the garage for the winter, then back to the shed, so up for sale it goes on craigslist.  We got a big last snowstorm so the buyer was able to ride it around a bit to check it out.  Pile of $100 bills and my shed spot now has bicycle hooks for my and my kids' bikes. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4659 on: April 19, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
I think I'll need to declutter one shelf in a cupboard at the time. When working full time  it is not easy to find the time and the rest to declutter, including the negotiations with my DH who likes to hang on to this. There is still a lot to declutter in almost every room in our house.
Last time I did it like this: Decluttered some camping gear:
- 1 pile of keeping
- 1 pile of throwing away
- 1 pile of in want-to-throw away, but needs DH's input. He only objected against 1 item, the rest could be ditched. This works better then stimulating him to declutter himself.

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4660 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Just moved houses.  Friends who helped with the move commented that it was the easiest move they ever helped with.  That's what happens after a year of decluttering.  With pretty much everything in my house I ask, "is this ________ worth the effort of moving?"  For sooooooo many things the answer is no.

Also, Moved into a house without a yard.  So got rid of a shed full of lawn stuff and now on my days off I can get out and enjoy the city instead of working on the water sucking lawn.  Feels like freedom.

This, in my opinion; is the best way to de-clutter.

You do not have to literally move, but regularly go thru your house; probably once a month and act like you are putting it up for sale and need to clear it out for anything you do not wish to move; you will keep it down to the necessary.

Personally, I keep mine so if I decide to take a job somewhere else(I'm usually on the lookout for a better one); I can put it on the market that week and able to move in two weeks. I went thru it once where I had to pay to fix it up and basically junk a lot of things I never used anyways; I have been cured. My closets are almost empty now as most everything I use fits in the dresser.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4661 on: April 19, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
-I've been enjoying the new "no sidebar" community page on facebook. It's a closed group, so your friends can't see what you post there (unless they are in the group I suppose).

-DH asked what we were planning tonight when he finishes work, and said he wants to 'do something productive, but not something outside'. I suggested cleaning up the office and decluttering it, and he seemed receptive. He also could use a pass on his clothing- a lot is wearing out. Maybe I'll do that again. I pull stuff out and set aside what I think he might want to let go, because of wear or size or what have you. Then he decides and lets me know why- if it's just wear, I know to start looking to replace the item for him. He doesn't have much clothing, so this doesn't take too long =)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4662 on: April 19, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
I use FB sale groups to give away stuff and the same names keep popping up. One in particular often wants my stuff but is then very flakey about picking up. I had it confirmed from a third person in the group that she's an actual hoarder. Makes sense. The annoying thing is, I don't think there's a way in FB sale groups to block a person from replying.

I am pretty much down to decluttering digital stuff now, although that includes CDs, an old laptop that are storing digital files.

I have to say, my efforts have made a difference. Our house is still a total mess day to day but given 30mins warning of visitors we could completely tidy up and do a good enough clean now everything has a place. If I can just steer DH towards letting go of a few things (he has more shoes than me and there's never quite enough space in the cupboard) it would be good so I don't find things with mould. He has got rid of quite a bit so I think my energies may be best focussed on stopping more stuff coming into the house! Also, we're going to do a massive clean out of the spare room to deal with mildew so once he sees it all and has wasted a weekend he might be inspired.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4663 on: April 19, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Another Goodwill trip. Donated:

3 printers in excellent condition
1 fish tank
1 fish tank stand
1 box of books
1 box of clothes
1 tennis racquet
1 box of assorted jewelry and knicknacks

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4664 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Slowly going through and selling off items from a fancy high end fashion style I no longer wear as often.  Taking a loss on some of those items, of course, but occasionally making a profit too

So far I've sold... 3 purses, a vest, 2 blouses, and "made" $350 (not counting all I paid for these things, of course.)  Still, better cash in my pocket than all these lovely items sitting around unused.

Some unexpected emergency renovations have forced me to go through my stuff once again, and now I'm starting to make a stack of books and games I'd like to get rid of.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4665 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
I use FB sale groups to give away stuff and the same names keep popping up. One in particular often wants my stuff but is then very flakey about picking up. I had it confirmed from a third person in the group that she's an actual hoarder. Makes sense. The annoying thing is, I don't think there's a way in FB sale groups to block a person from replying.

I am pretty much down to decluttering digital stuff now, although that includes CDs, an old laptop that are storing digital files.

I have to say, my efforts have made a difference. Our house is still a total mess day to day but given 30mins warning of visitors we could completely tidy up and do a good enough clean now everything has a place. If I can just steer DH towards letting go of a few things (he has more shoes than me and there's never quite enough space in the cupboard) it would be good so I don't find things with mould. He has got rid of quite a bit so I think my energies may be best focussed on stopping more stuff coming into the house! Also, we're going to do a massive clean out of the spare room to deal with mildew so once he sees it all and has wasted a weekend he might be inspired.

Sorry to hear you are still battling the mould problem, freshwater.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4666 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
Sorry to hear you are still battling the mould problem, freshwater.

I think I need to vac and dust more often and then set a reminder to run the dehumidifier. Stuff in our damp old garage (where there's no dust) doesn't seem to get mouldy. I hate dusting but not as much as cleaning mould off things.

I put my wedding and funeral type clothes in space vacuum bags and it's great being able to get them out without having to do a mould check!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4667 on: April 20, 2017, 01:45:12 AM »
I think I finally found the energy to go through the laundry stuff and sort out what we don't use, what we can use up (and never bother buying again because something else works fine), and make some proper "cleaning kits" so I can find what I need to clean up the house without searching for it. Mmm yes, I love a neatly organised cupboard!
Laundry cupboard is now neat. I don't have "cleaning kits" yet, but I think that will be worked out once I have done a deep clean of the house and can notice what I'm using.

I freed up enough space to start taking stuff out of the study and putting it in the laundry!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4668 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
Sold and shipped a couple (small) car parts this week.

Car is also posted, but no bites.  Might be priced too high.

Now, I only have about 500 more items to sort through and sell.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4669 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »
Approx 4 wastebaskets full of shredded documents
One shelf of books and DVDs
Clock
Goblet
Approx 2 wastebaskets of documents that didn't need to be shredded
1 box of books and trinkets to give to students
Condensed boxes of assorted notecards into one box

Up for debate: Sheet music? I don't really sing much anymore, though I do occasionally like to pull sometging out and sing it. I've got about a half-shelf worth of bound sheet music and another half of loose sheet music. Some of it would be very hard to replace. Hmmm...

It amazes me how I keep finding stuff to get rid of despite hardly buying anything in the past three years since decluttering became a goal. Right now I have three tall bookshelves full. I think it's possible to get down to one in the next several years. There's no rush, though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4670 on: April 21, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »

Up for debate: Sheet music? I don't really sing much anymore, though I do occasionally like to pull sometging out and sing it. I've got about a half-shelf worth of bound sheet music and another half of loose sheet music. Some of it would be very hard to replace. Hmmm...

What about scanning it and keeping it on your computer (and on a backup server)? Then throw away the original.
Altermatively you could put the loose sheets in an ordner. Loose sheets are no good anyway.

It amazes me how I keep finding stuff to get rid of despite hardly buying anything in the past three years since decluttering became a goal. Right now I have three tall bookshelves full. I think it's possible to get down to one in the next several years. There's no rush, though.

Content of book shelves are hard to get rid of. We did a good job when we moved last year and threw away the contents of 3 cupboards. Now we have 3 left. But they are getting fuller all the time. People keep giving us books, despite me being a Kindle reader. My DH sometimes buys books on sale. We both bought more hobby books for new hobbies. And how to keep tracks of the novels that aren't read yet? They stay in piles in from of the cupboard, one pile per person, plus a pile that none of us has read. It hopeless. The only good thing about it, is that the book shelves are not in the living room, but in some bedroom that we use as storage room/guest room.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4671 on: April 22, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

HI
may I ask how do you sell car parts, my DH has some new parts from the prior car he bought them before he gave up fixing that car.
Thanks

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4672 on: April 23, 2017, 03:19:29 AM »
Tomorrow someone is picking up our broken stereo that I mentioned a while ago (it was living under our spare bed. Pretty happy about that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4673 on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
Took two sweaters to goodwill. A huge accomplishment, as these were hand knit, by me. Very tough to part with.

Also got rid of all my jewelry from college formals. I don't wear fake diamonds and pearls anymore. People from buy nothing will be coming to get them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4674 on: April 23, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
Tonight someone will come to take a look at my racing bike that is for sale.

Yesterday I received some usefull tips about a hobby if mine that will allow me to reduce some material that isn't needed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:06:07 AM by Linda_Norway »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4675 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »

HI
may I ask how do you sell car parts, my DH has some new parts from the prior car he bought them before he gave up fixing that car.
Thanks

Not the OP but we have sold car parts very successfully on ebay. We drove a car into the ground and were offered £80 for it for scrap. We sold everything - wheels, wing mirrors, door handles, spoilers, bumpers, seats on ebay. It was a lot of work but we made about £500! And then we still sold it to the scrap yard for £50 (although we did have to borrow a trailer to get it there, since, you know, no wheels... or steering wheel for that matter!).

I got rid of all my ski socks. I have never liked the brand, and since we are not going skiing next year I decided to stop storing things I don't like, and to buy myself new ones when next we go.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4676 on: April 24, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Finally got my act together and posted stuff on Ebay and craigslist. One item has sold, gotta take it to the post office at lunch to send it off. The rest is packaged, ready to go, just pending a sale.

Also started packing up for the move. Mostly disposed of a bunch of dust. Then, I wanted to watch a movie but decided to sort paper at the same time. File box is much lighter now, and I shredded/recycled about 5 inches of paper. Recycle bin is completely full.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4677 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Finally got my act together and posted stuff on Ebay and craigslist. One item has sold, gotta take it to the post office at lunch to send it off. The rest is packaged, ready to go, just pending a sale.

Also started packing up for the move. Mostly disposed of a bunch of dust. Then, I wanted to watch a movie but decided to sort paper at the same time. File box is much lighter now, and I shredded/recycled about 5 inches of paper. Recycle bin is completely full.

If you plan on selling more stuff on eBay, get a scale so you can ship stuff from home.  The rates are cheaper and it saves you a trip to the PO.  Makes the hurdle of selling on eBay that much lower.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4678 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
Tonight someone will come to take a look at my racing bike that is for sale.

One bicycle sold. One left for sale...

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4679 on: April 24, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »

HI
Thanks

I do a couple things in the following priority:
- Craigslist
- Car forums (many of the ones I use aren't as active anymore but can still get some interest)
- eBay

For Craigstlist you have to require cash-only and meet up in some kind of public place (I usually go for some kind of store parking lot on a busy street).

Forums and eBay will require a paypal account (they take a 3% fee).  You'll also have to keep in mind the cost of shipping.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:45:47 PM by sw1tch »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4680 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Went through our clothes, put two pairs of jeans, a shirt and a coat in a bag for charity.

Decluttered my spice rack. A few years ago someone gave me a starter pack of spices. Some had never been used and likely won't be, so out they went.

Now all my spice jars fit in my Anzac biscuit tin.

(A timely reference. Lest we forget.)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4681 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
I loaded a box of books to sell to the used bookstore, but I was so tired after work, I came straight home. Hopefully I'll get rid of it before the end of the week!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4682 on: April 25, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »

If you plan on selling more stuff on eBay, get a scale so you can ship stuff from home.  The rates are cheaper and it saves you a trip to the PO.  Makes the hurdle of selling on eBay that much lower.

I've considered it, but am an infrequent ebay seller. There's a post office a block from my office so it isn't too bad. If I keep doing this though, I might change my mind.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4683 on: April 30, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
With the baby at home, taking on only tiny projects right now...
I reorganized the kitchen junk drawer, threw out just a few things.

Today I did my underwear drawer. I threw out a ton of underwear and 4 bras. I literally had a row of underwear for "emergencies". Underwear that doesn't fit me and I dislike, but was still in like new condition. Ugh. It's underwear I hate and haven't worn in 4 years or so...  It is now in the trash...

The bras were just in poor condition. And all at least 10 years old. I've only worn sports bras for the past 3 years anyway. I kept 1 regular bra that I wear when necessary.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4684 on: May 01, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »
Finished up two more bottles of soap. I swear, they breed in the cupboard. I had thought I had cleaned them out of the guest bathroom and when I cleaned the medicine cabinet last night, I found four bottles of soap along with other random things hiding in the back. Pretty sure I should've kept them there in the past but I just can't understand why. Anyways glad they are getting used up now.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4685 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply : sw1tch  & theadvicist

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4686 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:00 AM »
Got rid of some old textbooks. Brought some history books permanently to work as that's where I refer to them most often.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4687 on: May 02, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
Gave away an old pack and play we won't be using anymore. One more thing out the door (soon, pending PU now)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4688 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Yesterday someone knocked over and broke my daily use ceramic to-go tea cup. My first thought was "well that's one less thing to make a decision about."

In 17 weeks (or so) we move abroad for a year.  For most of the time between now and then I will be living part time here and working full time 3.5 hours away.

Already fairly minimalist. Not much I don't use regularly, so not much I can pack early, but working my way through all my possessions again. Quite a few things, like baking pans, that I will use all summer but give to goodwill.  No sense storing them. Do want to keep my cast iron skillet though.

As for that beloved tea cup, thankfully it's spring now, I can be happy only having hot tea at home. Will carry cold tea with me in an old glass kombucha bottle which can be recycled on the way to the airport.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4689 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
After lowering the price of my car, I finally have some interest.  I hope I can round out the week and have it sold!

Other than that, my aim is to list one item per day on Craigslist until most everything is listed and hopefully gone.  I hope we can really get our items sold between now and next month. We're also going to have a garage sale in a couple weeks to try to get those items gone.

It's getting pretty exciting around here!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4690 on: May 02, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
I removed a frozen head and bones from a cod from the freezer that FIL had put there without our knowledge. Probably because he usually keeps this to make fish stock. We have tried this a number of times before and found out it is a LOT of work for something withoyt much taste. So this time we didn't want to bother. Now we have space again the the full freezer drawer.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4691 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
Gave away a bunch of maternity wear and toddler clothes. Now need to fold the remaining ones neatly

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4692 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »

For Craigstlist you have to require cash-only and meet up in some kind of public place (I usually go for some kind of store parking lot on a busy street).

Forums and eBay will require a paypal account (they take a 3% fee).  You'll also have to keep in mind the cost of shipping.

We did that with Craigslist early on, but I stopped the meetup elsewhere thing for the most part. What is coming to my front porch going to risk? Let you see that my cars aren't worth much and you're picking up $15-$20 in baby gear?  Going somewhere just wastes my time.

Actually, the last few have been "Okay, (baby gear) is on the porch in a cardboard box, just leave the $15 in the box" - no issues.

If a buyer wants to meet somewhere public, we'll walk to the local park.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4693 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »

We did that with Craigslist early on, but I stopped the meetup elsewhere thing for the most part. What is coming to my front porch going to risk? Let you see that my cars aren't worth much and you're picking up $15-$20 in baby gear?  Going somewhere just wastes my time.

Actually, the last few have been "Okay, (baby gear) is on the porch in a cardboard box, just leave the $15 in the box" - no issues.

We buy and sell stuff on something like Graigslist, Norwegian variant. We just let people come to our house and we can collect at their house. But in the advertisement I only write the nearest town. They get the actual address when they are the ones that are going to buy. This works fine.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4694 on: May 03, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »

We buy and sell stuff on something like Graigslist, Norwegian variant. We just let people come to our house and we can collect at their house. But in the advertisement I only write the nearest town. They get the actual address when they are the ones that are going to buy. This works fine.

Yes, Craigslist has a map option when you post the listing. I just put in the nearest major intersection, maybe half a kilometer from the house.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4695 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:37 AM »

I guess I'm only about a block from a Walmart Neighborhood market so never really thought about that.  There are some things, such as furniture, that people need to come by the house for anyway.  As we get rid of even more things, I guess it makes more sense to not really worry about theft as we don't/won't have much worth stealing anyhow.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4696 on: May 03, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »

I guess I'm only about a block from a Walmart Neighborhood market so never really thought about that.  There are some things, such as furniture, that people need to come by the house for anyway.  As we get rid of even more things, I guess it makes more sense to not really worry about theft as we don't/won't have much worth stealing anyhow.

As a woman living alone, I'm a bit concerned about strangers coming to my house.  We had at least one recent Craigslist transaction in our state that went terribly wrong.   I prefer meeting my buyers in a well lit and busy public space.  I use the parking lot of a local Target store which very close to my house.  Having said that, I tend to go with my gut and if I'm comfortable with someone based on the communications about the item in question, I will let them come to the house (e.g. a phone call about an item from a pleasant young woman who sounded polite, introduced herself and asked if she could have a look at it).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4697 on: May 03, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
Bringing another batch of clothes to consignment today.  I'm also trying to put together stuff for donation but so far I only have a couple of items.  Need to go through closets and cabinets again...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4698 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »
Giving a few things away on our Buy Nothing Group on FB.  I also donated a lot of clothes last weekend.  I'm hoping to purge another bunch this weekend.  Woohoo!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4699 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
I got rid of a handful of things through the Buy Nothing Group last weekend, all stuff the kids don't play with anymore. I also went through my daughter's shoes (I think we pulled out 4 outgrown pairs, and bought one new pair yesterday to replace them), and filled the recycling with more papers from when I went to college and a bunch of kid art papers. I have been putting all of their paper stuff in a cupboard and then go through it periodically when the kids aren't around, because otherwise my daughter wants to save everything. I hand pick the "best" kid art and then get rid of the rest.

I have made a lot of progress lately but I still have so far to go that it's easy to get disheartened. Well, I'll keep plodding along on the downsizing. I really want to go through all of the cupboards, drawers, boxes, etc and only keep what we REALLY need/want, but damn, it's hard in a house of five when no one else is interested in getting rid of stuff!