Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851498 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4600 on: March 30, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
I'm coming up to 'clothing changeover' time of year. I know Marie Kondo says not to do this, but honestly, where I live there are certain clothes that are only worn in one half of the year or the other.

I'm with you on this, shorts are for summer and long johns are for winter, why have them handy when they won't be worn?  We can go from -40oC (super cold winter night) to mid-30's and super humid (mid-summer) so one set of clothes doesn't work year-round.

I suspect that Marie Kondo doesn't live somewhere that has both cold winters and hot summers. Because if you do, you know that there are 2 very different wardrobes and there's nothing you can do about it.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4601 on: March 30, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
There might be some pieces that are exclusively for winter or summer but I find that I layer a lot during winter and use most of the same clothes without layers during summer. So I don't have to switch a lot of things about (except winter coats, boots etc).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4602 on: March 31, 2017, 01:39:22 AM »
I got rid of an old handbag this morning before work. I will go through the rest of that closet later.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4603 on: March 31, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
Husband has lost just shy of 11kg so I'm donating a couple of his larger t-shirts.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4604 on: March 31, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »
A student asked if I had an extra fountain pen she could have, so there's one more gone.

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4605 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
I also checked all my sports clothes. I found out that I regularly use most of the sports clothes, but ditched a few things. Some of the clothes thrown away hurt mentally, because some required some effort to buy them. But I didn't wear them for years and couldn't find a good argument to keep them. I also ditched some perfectly good running shirts that are so small that I always choose other shirts to wear. I am still in doubt about 2 long Johns that still fit perfectly, but that I in practice never wear. Maybe because they are not made of wool and I now have 3 woolen ones that I use often.

I tried on all my trousers (normal and hiking ones). Positive thing is that with my current weight I fit into more trousers than I thought and put some back on the "regular" pile. I did however get rid of all trousers that were fitting so tight that there was no hope to fit into them any time soon. Plus a few that I don't like to wear anymore. And all the ugly shorts that I had.

I dealt with the long john thing with my snowboard socks.  You wont wear them. Promise. The others are better. Ditch em. (I kept them in a drawer for a year with some other 'maybe's and didn't want to touch them; it wasn't needed).

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4606 on: March 31, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
I have a VVA pickup scheduled for Monday, so I hope to spend a fair bit of time this weekend putting together a couple more bags. I am also going to try and offload some specific items on the local "buy nothing" group this weekend. I have a lot of positive momentum going right now and want to keep it up.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4607 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
Dropped off a couple more wooden puzzles to the children's room at the library. Their old ones are all manky and missing pieces... ours are clean and new looking.

BIL and wife picked up some of our old baby stuff... filled their trunk and back seat. The question is, why do we still have so much stuff? I also posted some baby equipment they don't want on Craigslist but no bites yet. Husband thinks that people aren't looking at strollers yet because the weather has been so poor.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4608 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
Took aforementioned mower and a grill to the scrap yard, got $15. 

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4609 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I finally cleared off a music stand that has been sitting untouched in our front bedroom/storage room. I pitched some concert programs and musical instrument brochures from the late 90's and early 2000's that were sitting on it. It was fun looking at them and seeing all of the tubas I used to lust after. Yes, I used to play the tuba. Like seriously played the tuba. As in, I actually have a bachelor's degree in tuba performance. This is why 17 year olds shouldn't be allowed to make life changing decisions :D

I've also been contemplating selling some musical instruments I have laying around. I have a few guitars I could sell pretty easily. I could also sell my tuba. I have been hesitant to do that. Quality tubas aren't cheap and they aren't easy to acquire. Usually, you can't just go to your local music store and drive home with one. I haven't played it in about 6 years and I really don't see myself playing it seriously again. Rationally, I know I just need to sell it, but emotionally, I'm having a hard time letting go. It was a prized possession in my younger days and my parents sacrificed to make sure I got it when I was in music school. Since it was so expensive, I want to make sure my parents are ok with me selling it too. I guess I'll just have to have that conversation the next time I see them. 

I also cleared out some clutter in the garage. I took some spent motor oil to the auto parts store to be recycled. I had a combination oil catch pan/reservoir that I pitched also. The cap that was supposed to keep the oil in cracked at some point, so it would spill oil unless it was absolutely level. The auto parts store was nice enough to dispose of that and the 5qt jug of spent oil I brought to them. I didn't want to have to take a leaky oil container back home.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4610 on: April 01, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »
Tuba is awesome. :) Why did you stop playing?

Because mail never ends, today I'm going through yet more mail from the week. I'm going to be calling the groups I give monthly donations to and telling them to take me off their mailing lists. I already have auto-deducted payments and e-mails for major news; I don't need paper reminders as well.

I'm in a lot of physical pain today, so that's probably all I'll be accomplishing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4611 on: April 01, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
Removed even more clothes today: t-shirts, jackets, vest, gloves and 5 pairs of shoes. I was in doubt about throwing away a few things and will move them to our mountain cabin. The rest will be donated.

In the shed I hang up a hook, so that my husbands fisking clothes can dry there instead of being draped over the garbage bin and making the bin unusble.

Also paid a low priority bill and installed something in the car. Both things were laying on the dining table for a good week -> way too long.

Chopped some dry stubs into fire wood. Now the pile of stubs is a bit neater and we have enough wood to warm up the house for the next 2 months. Hopefully by then it will be summer-like.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:46:09 AM by Linda_Norway »

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4612 on: April 01, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
Tuba is awesome. :) Why did you stop playing?

Because mail never ends, today I'm going through yet more mail from the week. I'm going to be calling the groups I give monthly donations to and telling them to take me off their mailing lists. I already have auto-deducted payments and e-mails for major news; I don't need paper reminders as well.

I'm in a lot of physical pain today, so that's probably all I'll be accomplishing.

I still think the tuba is a great instrument too :) I stopped playing seriously back in 2005. I went to a few orchestra auditions after graduating, but I was completely out of my league. There were guys at the auditions for second rate "keep your day job" orchestras whose warm ups were more complicated than solos I prepared. I realized pretty quickly that no amount of practice would get me to the level of a top professional, so I just kind of moved on with my life. I just haven't managed to let go of the hardware that went along with being a tuba player.

I'm not a fan of mail either. I have eliminated any paper bills I possibly can. It's like they're saying "Here, you throw this away." :D

I hope your pain subsides soon.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4613 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Put a pair of my shoes in the donation bag, tossed a worn-out pair of my husband's Converse (with permission), tossed an empty box (having previously decluttered the contents), giving a pair of cricket gloves to a local team (thanks Marty), and rearranged my linen cupboard to better access what we use most*.

* Tripods, luggage, helmets, soccer gear, etc. Not linen.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4614 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »

Small progress this weekend: cleaned two drawers in the kitchen. Lot's of old hard candy gone in the trash along some items that we never use.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4615 on: April 03, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
Over the weekend, I caught up on my filing, which included shredding a bunch of existing files and making some 2017 files. I made some room in the filing cabinet, but the drawer does not close because it's kind of broken. I looked around, and I have 12 drawers of files in my office. OK, time to go all paperless, and get rid of some of these cabinets.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4616 on: April 03, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
To the donation pile - a sewing machine, a container to hold thread, an electric knife and some clothes I have not worn for awhile.  I grabbed my toaster oven and am I'm going to bring to work to use.  I broke down and recycled a bunch of boxes that I was saving for no good reason.  Threw out some really old drinking glasses that were cloudy/etched.  I had bought some replacements years ago and now finally decided to use them.  I just love clearing out space in the storage closet.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4617 on: April 04, 2017, 06:11:07 AM »
My roommates are interested in having a garage sale. I've got two boxes of donations, but maybe I'll sell them instead. Hmmm.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4618 on: April 04, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
I went to a presentation on conserving old fabrics and clothing.  DD has a fancy competition dress she has outgrown and will eventually have on display in a shadow box, and now I know how to care for it.  And that means the quilt batting I was never going to use has found a new purpose!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4619 on: April 04, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
VVA came yesterday and picked up 9 bags/boxes of stuff (which is all itemized in It's Deductible for our taxes). I also offloaded an old water play table on the buy nothing group.

We leave Friday for vacation but I'll be back at the decluttering with a vengeance when we're home!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #4620 on: April 05, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
Donated a huge box of food to a food pantry (my dad came to dinner the other weekend and volunteers at the pantry on Tuesdays so he dropped it off for me). YAY! So much space.
I dropped off 3 boxes at goodwill on Saturday.
I only have one humongous bag of clothes to donate, I forgot to take it with me to Goodwill so I might go back Sat. It's maybe a 10 minute drive.

I am paring down which helps as the wedding gifts started arriving 2 weeks ago. I got an instantpot, flannel sheets, an end table, a ninjas blender and oven mitts. So I got rid of a holey sheet, ruined oven mitts and donated my magic bullet and blender. My fiance wants to keep the crock pot and rice cooker for now til we figure out the instant pot. :) it's super exciting to get useful things I was going to need to buy soon.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4621 on: April 06, 2017, 05:03:27 AM »
I tidied up my craft area, getting rid of a few things I was never going to use. Everything looks so much better. Now I need to keep my craft stash down to the things I can neatly store there, with no overflow.

As the seasons change I am continuing to wash clothes I no longer like to go to charity.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4622 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
Yesterday I took a carload of stuff to the thrift shop (yay for state tax deduction!) including lots of clothes, several pairs of shoes, a suitcase and small box of random home goods.

Now I'm working on decluttering outdoors.  I moved all of our split firewood up under the porch, which it its last stop before the fireplace.  Then the unsplit stuff was moved up closer to the shed.  Moved all scrap wood out from behind the chicken coop, so I now have a nice empty area to put in a new chicken run.  The old dog house will be modified a little bit and put down there.  I almost gave the dog house away last summer, so there's one instance where I'm glad my decluttering efforts failed.  It will be a mother-in-law suite for my old hens when my brand new chicks are ready to take over the main coop.

The scrap wood is going to go towards building the new chicken run, and also building a few new horse jumps.  The jumps will then go out to the stable and be out of my way.

It's looking rainy today, so the annual shop cleaning and decluttering just might be on the agenda if it's too wet for gardening.

Sunday we will be dismantling the crappy old tin shed at the end of the driveway since it's pretty much just a hotel for wasps.  Hoping we can just detach it from the floor, walk it up to the street and entice someone to haul it away with a Craigslist curb alert.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4623 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
I did a big Konmari on my clothes last weekend and got rid of 4 grocery bags' worth, along with a laptop bag and a toiletry bag I'm not using any more. And all my clothes look very cheerful folded and rolled in my dresser, and I have a lot more breathing room in my closet. Good stuff!

I need to go through my shoes as well, which is tricky because I always feel like if only I got the right inserts, I'd be able to wear this pair, or I should give it another summer to see if I wear those sandals again ...

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4624 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
For those who are donating clothes and itemizing, I'm curious how you value your clothes. I'm never should what would be reasonable -what I paid for it? What I'd get selling it on ebay? Somewhere in between?

I have been changing out some of our furniture (new dining room chairs, end tables, etc.) and selling what we no longer want. Since pretty much all of my "new" purchases come from Craigslist, it's fun to figure out how much the changes are costing us. So far, it's been pretty close to breaking even, if not actually earning money. It also spurred me to stop dragging my heels and list a few smaller things on CL/FB garage sale groups. So glad to have some of those items out of my house! It's amazing how getting rid of just a few things can make you feel lighter.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4625 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
Finished another bottle of soap and lotion. Opened a new soap and another bottle of lotion. I can't wait to get to the end of this!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4626 on: April 11, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Forgot to add, I also got rid of a bunch of gift cards and got cash for it. One major mental Todo done!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4627 on: April 11, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
For those who are donating clothes and itemizing, I'm curious how you value your clothes. I'm never should what would be reasonable -what I paid for it? What I'd get selling it on ebay? Somewhere in between?

I am currently trying to sell a brand new trousers for jalf the new price. No hits, except for someone who wanted to pay 25% less.

For used clothes you'll need to get a lot lower. I have donated my clothes for free to some organization that has containers in town. I have kept one body stocking that has never been worn. I'll try to get something for it. Maybe for 25% of the original price.

I think my wedding dress could perhaps get 30 to 50% of the price.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4628 on: April 11, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
I gave away two small bookshelves to a student, and now everyone else is envious, so I'm going to slowly bring all the other shelves that I can fit in my car (5) for students to take. That'll leave me just three tall bookshelves to find homes for.

I also overheard a biology teacher talking about a fish thing in his classroom... maybe he'll want my aquarium?

And some teacher somewhere that hasn't converted all his/her files to digital MUST want my filing cabinet, right?

Anyway... progress!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4629 on: April 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »

I use ItsDeductible https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/. That way I don't have to worry about justifying my valuation to anyone ;) It's definitely NOT the purchase price though. Goodwill also publishes a guide: https://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf
Key points, to deduct their value, they have to be in "good condition or better". For large items that are NOT in good condition, bank rate says: "If you claim a deduction of $500 or more for a used item that's not in good condition, the IRS says you'd better get an appraisal.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/valuation-guide-for-donated-goods.aspx#ixzz4dwwHVT9w"

Hope this helps. Personally, I also opt to snap photos of all my donations and dump them into evernote. Makes it easier to fill out those goodwill donation cards, and if I'm ever audited I'm set. Plus it's a pretty quick step for some peace of mind =)

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4630 on: April 11, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »

I use ItsDeductible https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/. That way I don't have to worry about justifying my valuation to anyone ;) It's definitely NOT the purchase price though. Goodwill also publishes a guide: https://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf
Key points, to deduct their value, they have to be in "good condition or better". For large items that are NOT in good condition, bank rate says: "If you claim a deduction of $500 or more for a used item that's not in good condition, the IRS says you'd better get an appraisal.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/valuation-guide-for-donated-goods.aspx#ixzz4dwwHVT9w"

Hope this helps. Personally, I also opt to snap photos of all my donations and dump them into evernote. Makes it easier to fill out those goodwill donation cards, and if I'm ever audited I'm set. Plus it's a pretty quick step for some peace of mind =)

Thanks for the links! That's a great idea to just take a quick picture before donating. I usually sell my old clothes on ebay, and can offload 75-80% this way, but there are some that just don't sell. This year even with our mortgage interest, we came in *just* under the standard deduction - I know if I'd itemized our donations it would've taken us across that line. I was kicking myself for sure, so I don't want to let it happen again!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4631 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
When we left our mountain cabin I asked my DH if he really wanted to keep 2  pairs of his old CC ski shoes there that he never uses. But unfortunately he is not ready for removing them. He also doen't want to throw away the old tent we had there. Now it is on it's way home again.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #4632 on: April 11, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Got rid of a bunch of books this past week, and have another two boxes to go.

Next on the block: Putting the iPhone on eBay.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4633 on: April 11, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
In the past week husband and I have broken a glass, a bowl and a side plate.

That's one way to declutter...

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4634 on: April 11, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Over the weekend, I decluttered a pile of old camera stuff, cables, phone cords, and the like. Also just gave away the second of the four pairs of binoculars I previously removed from my office. My desk is getting there.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4635 on: April 11, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
Two more bookshelves claimed!

If I can manage it, I'll bring another shelf tomorrow, but that one is bulkier and heavier, and I'm not sure if I can get it in my car without my husband's help. If not, I can bring it Thursday.

It's pretty fun giving things to students. The girl who got yesterday's shelves has never had a bookshelf before! She's so excited! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4636 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
I reorganized some of the camping gear, so that all sleeping materials, down slippers, towels and all cooking equipment are inside the house on 1 place instead of spread halfway in the barn. I threw away some nice to keep things that we haven't used for the last 10 years or so. Let's hope I don't need it exactly next year.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4637 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
I set aside a work suit for donation as the skirt is too tight. It always has been, but I struggled on with it for years. The other day I was so uncomfortable that as soon as I took it off I knew I would donate it.

Then this morning I put on a dress for work... and realised I usually wore that jacket with it. I feel like a charity will get more money for the suit, so I don't want to just keep the jacket to wear with this one dress. I did find another jacket that will 'do'. I guess I just have to accept that for an easier life I must deal with some sub-optimal outfits. I'm sure I'll survive!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4638 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »
I took most of this week off to decompress a little and aparantly it worked.  Just today I got the energy to bring some unused stuff down to the local Red Cross goodwill store.  Less stuff here, more $$$ for the Red Cross.  :)

Some more stuff will go out tomorrow, but probably stuff that will be thrown away since it's a public holiday.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4639 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
Three more bookshelves gone! The last one I can fit in the car is in the trunk and will be claimed today (there's actually a bit of a contest for it). The large ones are potentially claimed and may be gone within the next week or so.

I still need to find a home for a set of drawers.

We have three printers in the garage. THREE! I think I may just donate those.

The file cabinet and fish tank still need homes.

Really, though, there's so much more space in the garage already! :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4640 on: April 13, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
If your tank and cabinet are in good condition, you could try craigslisting them?  For some reason, whenever I post a file cabinet (metro areas) they sell in days.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4641 on: April 13, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
I'm shooting to do this tomorrow (took the day off):

- Vacuum, wipe down and take interior pictures of my car to list it for sale. Moving to a single-car household.
- List multiple household items/appliances on craigslist.
- Hopefully get a list of items compiled for garage sale we're aiming to have later this month or next

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4642 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
I refuse to start packing yet, but decluttering is always ok. Put my winter boots away and wondered what was in the other boxes. Start looking through and I ended up throwing out 7 pairs of shoes. Then I threw out the tennis shoes that were falling apart after I bought new ones.

Pulled out a couple of tops that were poor decisions to donate.

Also selected some Wedgewood that I don't want and put in a box. Need to take pictures and post on Ebay. There's also a needlepoint doll house rug that I did and have been meaning to sell. I have the mailing tube, just need to post on ebay.

I have a plastic pallet to raise things off the floor, cluttering up the garage. I've kept it because I knew I was going to buy a house and move, but the house I'm attempting to buy has a crawl space. Once that house passes inspection I'll get rid of the pallet. (The first house I tried to buy fell through due to structural issues.)

And FINALLY remembered to throw out the broken lamp. Not repairable, and it's been sitting for months and just kept forgetting.

I'm sure there will be more. My roommate closed on her condo yesterday, and she's going to start taking stuff over. She's got a problem with stuff (all the signs point to a future hoarding situation), so I'd rather give her some time to clear out the crap before I start packing boxes.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4643 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Love the idea of this thread.

I took a box of clothes to the local consignment shop, and hope to earn a little extra that way. I could sell each item on ebay myself, but I've found in the past that I don't earn much on clothing there (shoes/boots, though, have been lucrative).

I have a few more boxes sitting by the back door to bring to the thrift store - but have been putting that off because I keep finding small things to add to the boxes and get them out of the house.

Next up: over the next month, put many of the craft supplies (mostly fabric and yarn I bought and never used) up for free for Facebook friends or Buy Nothing.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #4644 on: April 13, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
This weekend I am doing a massive declutter / organization of craft, art, decor and project materials. I seem to have accumulated an awful lot of stuff and while I have plenty of room to store it all - I don't know if I want to. Luckily there is a local free art space that would love some donations.

I'm writing this here to hold myself accountable!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4645 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
Ahh my husband is the best. He took a licensing test this week, and had borrowed a TON of reference materials from a co-worker (like, a duffel bag full). The day after the test, without prompting, he took all the materials back to Coworker! And then made a comment about how he's happy there's more space in the closet. Good man <3

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4646 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
If your tank and cabinet are in good condition, you could try craigslisting them?  For some reason, whenever I post a file cabinet (metro areas) they sell in days.

My husband wants me to avoid listing things on CL if possible because it creeps him out, so I've been trying to find homes for these things in a way that he's happy with, though he knows and accepts I'll go the CL route eventually if needed.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4647 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
FINALLY made it to the hazardous waste dropoff day. They rejected a few paint item which I can dry out and put in the trash, and I missed a couple of items, but it's nice to get rid of every CFL I've ever used, broken thermometers, paint, etc. It has been a long time coming -- one of the items I missed is the bathtub paint from our first house's previous owner. We moved into that house in 1999.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4648 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
FINALLY made it to the hazardous waste dropoff day. They rejected a few paint item which I can dry out and put in the trash, and I missed a couple of items, but it's nice to get rid of every CFL I've ever used, broken thermometers, paint, etc. It has been a long time coming -- one of the items I missed is the bathtub paint from our first house's previous owner. We moved into that house in 1999.

Wow! That's got to feel GREAT. Nearly 20 years of accumulation, done!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4649 on: April 16, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
People are bringing stuff into our house. We give away a tent for free and in return we get an asian dress to put around a wine bottle. What is the point of such a thing? Thrown into the bin. Same with the newspaper in 4 parts that FIL brought in.