Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851442 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4300 on: January 18, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Would you like to experience a Canadian winter?  I am sure I will have stuff for you to have fun decluttering when you are done there.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4301 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:27 AM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Maybe you could help my wife...

Well it's a bit like trying to help an addict, they have to *want* help.... ;) My sister is the complete opposite of me, a spender and hoarder and I have made no headway :( I've tidied up and helped to sell stuff but it reverts back as soon as I'm gone. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4302 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:38 AM »

Would you like to experience a Canadian winter?  I am sure I will have stuff for you to have fun decluttering when you are done there.

Ooo careful, I might take you up on that. Are you near a ski-field?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4303 on: January 19, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »
I decluttered one big thing (a sofa, given away on TrashNothing) before Christmas.  I am still astonished and delighted by the change it has made to my sitting room, which looks bigger and lighter and is far, far easier to keep clean.

I have a box of bits and pieces ready to go to the charity shop, and there has been some decluttering of papers but not yet enough, partly because of the tax man's requirements and partly because of an unfinished research project I hope to get back to - I had to give up when I became a carer for three years and I'm not yet quite ready to acknowledge that going back to it may be wishful thinking.  Which I guess tells me how emotionally based my decisions about "stuff" are.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4304 on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Since now my house clutter is mostly waiting on takers for the big stuff, I'm focusing on my classroom. Yesterday I avoided creating clutter by giving prospective students a password to access the handouts for my meeting instead of copying them. It worked really well. :)

I have the tops of two desks to declutter today.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4305 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:38 AM »

Ooo careful, I might take you up on that. Are you near a ski-field?

Define "Near".  I am about 100km and a 1.5 hour drive to Mont Tremblant, but about 1/2 hour to a baby hill that is still not too bad.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4306 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Ugh, I really need to destash my makeup. But it is all opened and used so I've got to pitch it. It feels like literally throwing out money.

I have a bunch of skincare stuff too that's meant to address all my skin problems (blotchiness, wrinkles) but never really worked.

SO wasteful! :( Also, how on earth did I end up with this many gray eyeshadows?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4307 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
I inventoried my freezers (yes "s")...and made a plan.  Threw away lots of old bread and unfortunately some meat and expensive items as well - but I wasn't going to eat them.  My goal is to completely empty the second freezer and turn it off/sell it on Craigslist after I prove to myself I don't need/want it.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4308 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Ugh, I really need to destash my makeup. But it is all opened and used so I've got to pitch it. It feels like literally throwing out money.

I have a bunch of skincare stuff too that's meant to address all my skin problems (blotchiness, wrinkles) but never really worked.

SO wasteful! :( Also, how on earth did I end up with this many gray eyeshadows?
I hear you. This morning, I threw away some facial moisturizers from a costly, well known brand from my preMMM days because they had turned rancid. They might have stayed intact but I had used 1/10th and left the remaining (beats me why I didn't finish one before I started the next) in the jar. Waste of $$$ :(

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4309 on: January 19, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
I worked on my email inbox and the paper clutter today.  Was terrified I misplaced our property tax stuff, but found it.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4310 on: January 19, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
Good work everyone!

Last weekend, I put away the lawnmower :-O. My wife cleared out all the old sheets from the guest bedroom! I plumped up the dog's bed with a few, took a bunch of white ones for the rag bag, and chucked the rest. My son cleared his junk from the guest bedroom! That allowed me to continue to declutter my office. Of course, the day after I picked up my new prescription sunglasses, I found my old glasses, which had a sunglasses clip.

Recycled or tossed a badly chipped mixing bowl, a bunch of mismatched/damaged water bottles/caps, some coffee cups, and some beer glasses (thanked them VERY much for their service :-). Moved some holey dish towels to the rag bag, but there is still work to be done. Son gave wife several new ones for Christmas.

Cleaned out several drains, and found my screwdriver and bits right where I had left them. So they are back where they belong, and the hair clog and ankle-deep shower water clutter is gone.

Working on eating down a few leftover holiday items. Will continue working on the office, as it is looking really good with the reduced clutter.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4311 on: January 19, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Yesterday I cleared out the pantry. I threw two or three infested things and made a list of meals to use up bits that aren't our usual staples so would otherwise be forgotten. I have left a few things out on the counter purposefully to annoy me until I use them.

Tonight is laksa and margarita night! We are using up an inch of tequila bought for a get together many many moons ago. We happen to have triple sec in the cupboard, which I believe came from someone else's house when they left the country about eight years ago.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4312 on: January 19, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
Husband bought batteries at the airport because he "couldn't find" them in the cord cupboard. (I wasn't home.)

That's it. I'm going scorched earth on that cupboard this weekend.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4313 on: January 19, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
Husband bought batteries at the airport because he "couldn't find" them in the cord cupboard. (I wasn't home.)

Yay!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4314 on: January 20, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »

Yay!

Yay!

I've had a busy morning!

Sorted out the cable cupboard, then rearranged parts of the linen cupboard.

The score:

Donated: three pairs of husband's jeans, one polo shirt, four books, and two DVDs.

Tossed: six cables, an old router, some paperwork, dead batteries, and a book.

I also put together a bag of things for a family member (things she has requested; I'm not just dumping stuff on her), and put aside six magazine files for my husband to take to work.

I reorganised the shelves to group like with like, and separated some cables into ziplocks to make life easier in the future.

Now to condense the contents of (wince) four external hard drives...

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4315 on: January 20, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
I found yet MORE stuff to give away to students. They were happy, as was I. :)

I also did more purging in my classroom. I could have done more had it not been raining; I'll have to wait for clear skies to deliver things across campus to those who will make use of them, but at least I've got them ready to go.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4316 on: January 20, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Now to condense the contents of (wince) four external hard drives...

If you need it, there are a variety of free duplicate file finders that may assist.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4317 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
We rearranged our storage so that our DVDs and video games are now visible on a bookshelf, while my exercise gear and our board games are tucked under the TV. After having them out for an hour, DH started going through the DVDs and I joined him - and I think we cut our collection back by 10+ items! That's about 20%+ of what we have. I'm extremely pleased, and I think we'll actually watch the remaining ones more now we can see them.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #4318 on: January 21, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
Yesterday I sold a piece of home gym equipment that I bought several years ago, have hardly used since and have been telling myself to get rid of for at least several months. Though I knew it wouldn't sell for much after allowing for the postage cost I still wanted to sell it so somebody would use it rather than it just becoming scrap metal and recycling. So I was pleased today after dropping it off at the courier collection point, only a small bit of clutter really but did feel like a little source of stress in my life was gone.

Now need to do the same with three old/in parts laptops, which hopefully at least are worth enough that I can give some money to charity from their sale.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4319 on: January 21, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
I reorganised the shelves to group like with like, and separated some cables into ziplocks to make life easier in the future.
I saw someone at work using bull clips to keep cables organised and immediately stole the idea.

It's made my life so much easier with the multiple charging cables I have around the place.

Basically, it looks something like this:

http://www.marciafrancois.com/blog/2011/08/12/how-do-you/

I just use elastic bands for the ones in the cupboard, but this could be good for others. We have three chargers plugged in together and to stop them getting tangled they all feed through a small carabiner half way up. We also use the bread tag method to label wires on a power board so you know what you're switching on and off. Just write the name on a bread tag and attach to the cable near the plug.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4320 on: January 22, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
Decluttered 3 large bags of clothes, 3 boxes of books, and 2 boxes of miscellany to donate, and a few bags of rubbish. DS and DD were enlisted and half of DD wardrobe was wiped out clean and all the clothes tidied, and the floor of half DS's.

The house looks no different : sooner or later it must get better.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4321 on: January 22, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
I was planning on replacing some bookcases I'm offloading to siblings with nicer ones, but now I'm wondering if there's a chance I can just declutter or rearrange 2 bookcases worth of stuff. That's the dream...
Nope, couldn't decluttered the problem away; needed new bookcases to free up space in a dresser so it can become the baby's. So, technically the only furniture we've had to source for the baby has been the cot; I've wanted to replace those bookshelves for ages regardless.

The bookcases, a couch, shoe rack, mirror, office chair and some spatulas have been picked up by the siblings and I'm told they're excited about using them!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4322 on: January 22, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
Decluttered 3 large bags of clothes, 3 boxes of books, and 2 boxes of miscellany to donate, and a few bags of rubbish. DS and DD were enlisted and half of DD wardrobe was wiped out clean and all the clothes tidied, and the floor of half DS's.

The house looks no different : sooner or later it must get better.

It will. My bookcase is still full so at first I didn't really notice a difference but then a few days later it seemed like the books had a bit of breathing space. Looks much better I realise now.

My big wins were in the kitchen. Storing chopping boards, baking trays and racks vertically in a dish rack thingy from IKEA in a cupboard has changed my life!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #4323 on: January 22, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
Great work everyone. You might not see a big difference straight away but I think the next time you are looking for something you will be so glad.

On Wednesday I read a news story about this UCLA study http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/trouble-in-paradise-new-ucla-book, which led to watching videos on YouTube of Marie Kondo implementing her method in New York apartments, which led to a huge clothing cull.

I didn't think there would be much to get rid of as I'm not a big shopper and donate as I go but I managed to fill three bags. Got rid of most of the office wear purchased for a contract role last year (thrifted, can easily rebuy similar if I decide to change jobs again in future), hand me downs from friends that didn't quite work and a few items that don't flatter at my current weight. Also decided to part with a black coat that is lovely but attracts fluff and hair so I always feel dirty. Life is to short to lint roller your coat multiple times daily.

Had been using a scarf hanger to store my (many, much loved and worn) scarves but it just wasn't working so rearranged my draws and folded them instead. I'm not a huge fan of the Kondo folding in general (who has the time?) but it looks and works so much better, I wish I had done it earlier.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4324 on: January 22, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
Tested and tossed four lightning cables and three non-Apple wall plugs last night.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4325 on: January 22, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
On a whim, I looked up and tried the Kondo folding on my laundry yesterday, and I think I'm converted. It's space-saving and easier to find things. I'm sure my version was a little less exact than hers, but it worked.

Right now I'm in the middle of shredding some bad writing. I'm taking on the emotional boxes little by little.

KL2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4326 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
I was able to volunteer to house some records at my school since my file cabinets are getting emptier and emptier. I may be able to get rid of a work file cabinet by the end of the year (people are always scrambling for them), freeing up some valuable space in my middle room. I no longer keep anything in bins; everything is in a file drawer or on a shelf (or on my desk, which is still a mess, but I'm getting to that soon!). I have a table and two large awesome teacher desks in my classroom. I'd like to move one of my desks to the middle room and rearrange some things to allow more room for the Chromebook cart that's a fairly new addition and really doesn't fit.

At home I need to do some more culling in the one file drawer in my office for financial records. I had a Cingular contract in there. How many years ago did that company disappear?

Things are going well.

Cingular bought AT&T Wireless in 2004...

Leading to the Colbert report:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/colberts-take-on-att/955486/

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4327 on: January 22, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
I was able to volunteer to house some records at my school since my file cabinets are getting emptier and emptier. I may be able to get rid of a work file cabinet by the end of the year (people are always scrambling for them), freeing up some valuable space in my middle room. I no longer keep anything in bins; everything is in a file drawer or on a shelf (or on my desk, which is still a mess, but I'm getting to that soon!). I have a table and two large awesome teacher desks in my classroom. I'd like to move one of my desks to the middle room and rearrange some things to allow more room for the Chromebook cart that's a fairly new addition and really doesn't fit.

At home I need to do some more culling in the one file drawer in my office for financial records. I had a Cingular contract in there. How many years ago did that company disappear?

Things are going well.

Cingular bought AT&T Wireless in 2004...

Leading to the Colbert report:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/colberts-take-on-att/955486/

Goddamit. I know we still have our original Houston Cellular contract. With unlimited data for $4.99/month.

They became Cingular in 2001.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4328 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
On a whim, I looked up and tried the Kondo folding on my laundry yesterday, and I think I'm converted. It's space-saving and easier to find things. I'm sure my version was a little less exact than hers, but it worked.

Right now I'm in the middle of shredding some bad writing. I'm taking on the emotional boxes little by little.

I was super annoyed when my husband "made" me start folding everything the way the air force required it. But a lot of it makes a ton of sense. Storing shirts vertically instead of stacked in piles makes a ton of sense, as does socks. After about 8 years I said "screw it" to folding my underwear though. I just wear whichever ones I pick out, so it doesn't matter if I can easily see them. His still get folded.  And we still stack shorts/pants, but those are on shelves so it's easy to see.

It's pretty similar to Kondo, though the socks I do differently (just fold in half). 

Haven't reduced the 'stuff' in the house much lately. I need to drop another box at Goodwill, but feel like I should list some of it to buy nothing group since I've gotten a few things from there.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4329 on: January 23, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
I was skeptical about the Kondo folding method, but now that I've been doing it for a couple months I am completely converted. So far I've only done it with my clothes, but I love it!

I had an exceedingly productive day yesterday, as far as decluttering goes. We pulled out ALL of the DVDs and video games, matched up discs to cases, and weeded them out. We eliminated 68 discs in total, and now everything that is remaining fits neatly in the cupboards of the entertainment center instead of spilling over to other places.

And then, in the afternoon, my five year old daughter went to her best friend's house for her birthday, and was gone for several hours. I pulled out all the old tubs/boxes/bags of clothes that don't fit anymore. I can't do that when she's there because it turns into mayhem. I sorted them and put the nice stuff aside for my neighbor up the street and I am donating the rest. That's probably 6-8 bags/boxes of stuff gone. VVA is scheduled to pick up on Wednesday and I have 11 boxes/bags total, with everything itemized to go into It's Deductible for next year.

We still have a TON to eliminate in the house, but I feel like we made real progress this weekend.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4330 on: January 23, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Tossed so much on the weekend that I freed up two empty boxes.

One went into the recycling bin this morning, the other is being drafted into helping me declutter the utensil drawer.

We have a freebie table at work, so I brought in four books yesterday. All gone this morning.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4331 on: January 23, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Tossed so much on the weekend that I freed up two empty boxes.

One went into the recycling bin this morning, the other is being drafted into helping me declutter the utensil drawer.

We have a freebie table at work, so I brought in four books yesterday. All gone this morning.

This weekend I opened the tv cabinet with the hopes of organising into a games cupboard, and: duh duh DERRRR! There's another cluster of cables. Hubby is going to have to help as tv cables are beyond me. If the tv and playstation and apple tv are working, why do we need other cables?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4332 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
My husband finally listed our old TV and a few devices we had at home. I also went through all the articles I had saved in the past four years and let 95% of them go. We are talking 1000s of articles I had saved in my reader. I'm glad to let them go (still have about 50 saved that I want to work through) since it removed a dead weight off my mind. I guess the best time for an article is when you see it. After that it starts diminishing in value and ends up languishing like all the physical clutter. Anyway glad to have them gone. Next up is tackling more digital clutter.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4333 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
I have so much digital clutter it's unreal :( My first digital job is to sort out my email as I've got some POP accounts and multiple devices and it is a total shambles and adding to the clutter daily.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4334 on: January 24, 2017, 04:37:09 AM »
I have so much digital clutter it's unreal :( My first digital job is to sort out my email as I've got some POP accounts and multiple devices and it is a total shambles and adding to the clutter daily.

We may have more emails than we do dollars of net worth. Both are well into 6 figures.

It's a bit of an extended story, but information retained in my email archive very likely saved a child's life - so I am especially loath to dispose of everything wholesale.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4335 on: January 24, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »

We may have more emails than we do dollars of net worth. Both are well into 6 figures.

It's a bit of an extended story, but information retained in my email archive very likely saved a child's life - so I am especially loath to dispose of everything wholesale.

I, for one, would be fascinated to hear the story, if you would like to tell it.

I just moved all the old stuff into a folder called 'Archive'. Then I kept my inbox at zero going forward. Anything I have to act on stays in the inbox, once it's dealt with it gets filed.

I personally use a few simple folders, "Shopping and Bills", "Friends and Family", "Community Organisation" I volunteer with. But I believe research shows it will be just as quick to find something by filing everything in one folder once it's dealt with. Archive, Completed, Dealt With, whatever you want to call it.

I don't see a benefit to deleting everything if you have available storage space.

Oh, one other thing I do, I have a folder called 'Vouchers'. Whenever I get an offer (eg 10% of a hotel stay, free burger somewhere I actually go) I put it in that folder. Then when I need a hotel room, am meeting a friend for dinner, or want new socks or whatever, I check that folder first. I just delete stuff over a month old every so often, though I'm sure you could automate that part. It means less stuff I might not use sitting in the inbox, but I don't worry I'm 'throwing away' something useful.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4336 on: January 24, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »
I use the vouchers file as well.   Always looking for coupons!

Last weekend, we got a few more items to a resale shop and two boxes off to a charity.  Today is paperwork.  Going to reorganize some stuff and get ready for taxes. 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4337 on: January 24, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
I struggle with the 'keep emails since Google offers unlimited storage' vs 'delete ones that are of no value (old newsletters, promo emails that I found interesting way back when, etc)'. But I want to make sure my email has only my personal emails and not promo mails, newsletters, etc.

I really like the idea of deleting everything that is more than a month old from promo folder. Will help with my email clutter.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4338 on: January 24, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
Digital decluttering in the past week:

- Deleted 16,000 emails from my husband's work account (with his permission) (and that's just a drop in the bucket)
- Deleted more than 600 from my Gmail
- Deleted a couple of hundred photos from my phone

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4339 on: January 24, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »

- Deleted 16,000 emails from my husband's work account (with his permission) (and that's just a drop in the bucket)

So jealous right now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4340 on: January 24, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

So jealous right now.

Don't be jealous, there is a LOT left for me to do.

It's one of those little jobs I can work through on my train home (apart from those days where I'm going cross-eyed from too much screen time).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4341 on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »
Got rid of another bottle from the pantry - Gin this time. It's a public holiday tomorrow hence cocktail hour.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4342 on: January 25, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
Got through two more tubes of moisturizer. Got half a dozen more to go. I just don't know why I have SO MUCH moisturizer in the first place. It's like they just breed :(

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #4343 on: January 25, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »
Just went through my jewellery box - the one full of sentimental pieces I never wear. Not sure if it's all the 'Kondo recaps' I'd just been reading online or that I'm getting married this year, but today I finally got rid of all the gifts from ex-boyfriends that are no longer my style but that I felt I should keep for the memories.

I also set aside some nice jewellery from when I was young - delicate chains, padlock bracelets, tiny rings etc - to offer to a friend's little girls.

Feeling good!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4344 on: January 25, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »
It's a public holiday here and from my house I can hear three parties going on, everyone is having fun. I'm a bit of a loser as I've been inside decluttering skin care, make up and jewelry! I've thrown out 2 x small carrier bags and I have a small box of odds and sods I'm about to list for free before they are thrown out.

I found we have four rolls of dental floss. Better get flossing.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4345 on: January 26, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
Deleted 1006 more emails.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4346 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:57 AM »
Another bottle gone from the drinks shelf - the Pimms. We sound like alcoholics. Tomorrow it's the second bottle of rum with a target on its back. We have limes, mint and fizzy water ready for mojitos.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4347 on: January 26, 2017, 02:26:57 AM »
Another bottle gone from the drinks shelf - the Pimms. We sound like alcoholics. Tomorrow it's the second bottle of rum with a target on its back. We have limes, mint and fizzy water ready for mojitos.

Drinking rum counts as decluttering?

Oh I am IN!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #4348 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:20 AM »
The best decluttering. You've got me pondering an after dinner drink....

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4349 on: January 26, 2017, 03:08:02 AM »

Drinking rum counts as decluttering?

Oh I am IN!

Of course it counts, I've made room in the pantry cupboard to store onions. They were previously kept in the fruit bowl!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!