Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851407 times)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4000 on: December 07, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
Cards are really about an experience right?  It's about finding something fun in the middle of the junk mail.  It's about a joke or a warm sentiment.  For your nephews you are really building it into your visit.  It doesn't matter what happens with those pieces of paper after they have supplied the experience.

(or that's what I think anyway...)

All of which I believe.  But I also kept all the cards my grandmother sent me that had more than just to & from written.  Now that she is gone, it's important to me to have them - the tangible evidence of the effort and care she put into keeping the relationship alive even though we lived in different countries and saw eachother once a year.  She always found the perfect card from Hallmark - like "to my granddaughter and her husband on their first anniversary".  When she passed away, they found on her kitchen table the cards for the next several months already purchased and in a card holder as to what month they'd be needed.

When they were going through my _other_ grandmother's papers, they found letters I had written to her, with her notes in the margin of when they arrived, little commentaries (written by her, or later by my aunt who read the letters to her).  Since she never replied directly, it was very important to me to get those back.

In other words - to everyone else, this is clutter and I should just take photos to remind myself of the memories.  But they fit into a small box, and I'm keeping them.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4001 on: December 07, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »
Cards are really about an experience right?  It's about finding something fun in the middle of the junk mail.  It's about a joke or a warm sentiment.  For your nephews you are really building it into your visit.  It doesn't matter what happens with those pieces of paper after they have supplied the experience.

(or that's what I think anyway...)

All of which I believe.  But I also kept all the cards my grandmother sent me that had more than just to & from written.  Now that she is gone, it's important to me to have them - the tangible evidence of the effort and care she put into keeping the relationship alive even though we lived in different countries and saw eachother once a year.  She always found the perfect card from Hallmark - like "to my granddaughter and her husband on their first anniversary".  When she passed away, they found on her kitchen table the cards for the next several months already purchased and in a card holder as to what month they'd be needed.

When they were going through my _other_ grandmother's papers, they found letters I had written to her, with her notes in the margin of when they arrived, little commentaries (written by her, or later by my aunt who read the letters to her).  Since she never replied directly, it was very important to me to get those back.

In other words - to everyone else, this is clutter and I should just take photos to remind myself of the memories.  But they fit into a small box, and I'm keeping them.

I understand. 

Personal belongings are so... personal.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4002 on: December 07, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
Wow, 80 odd pages of decluttering, that makes me so happy! I love getting rid of stuff!

I'm joining in - for December I'm going to declutter old Xmas cards bought but never sent by actually sending them. I'm just not into Xmas but I really need to restablish contact with heaps of rellies on the other side of the world that I never see. By making it a Decluttering objective it gives me the incentive I need. It sounds awful, I do actually like these people, I just forget to keep in touch.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4003 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

I can beat that. One of my best friends and her first husband got a Gourmet Magazine cookbook with their names embossed on it. The photos of the food inside were the sort of thing that ends up on a "bad recipes" web site. They were hideous. She never made a thing from the book, and was afraid to give it to a charity shop because their names were on it. Finally, she just tossed it in the trash.

I'm stuck on how to get rid of items that are semi-personal, or personalized. For example, we have a blanket that was given to us for our wedding, which is not to my taste. The problem is that it has our names and wedding date on it. We've never used it, so it's in perfect condition, but it feels totally weird to give away something with our names on it. I have other similar items that I don't know what to do with. Thoughts?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4004 on: December 08, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
This thread is so inspiring! It's been slow going here - a pair of shorts here, a small stack of paper there. But I keep telling myself that so long as we're getting rid of more than we're bringing it it's still progress! And we're giving a sofa and loveseat to a friend next week that have just been taking up room in the basement to clear some room for the new baby.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4005 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:54 PM »
In-laws are still in the process of moving, which means they're still dumping stuff on me.

Why throw things in the bin at their house when they can drive 250kms and dump it on me so that I can throw it in the bin?

They keep saying, "We thought you might need this. We would keep it, but we're moving into an apartment." (So far this has included books, clothes, old electronics, office supplies, and more.)

Newsflash: I live in an apartment. I don't need it. I'm not storing it for you.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4006 on: December 08, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
Got rid of 4 big boxes of misc items. Also went back through old sentimental boxes and took apart old cards and recycled the not great ones, or insides with our names on and kept only the really good ones.  A few that just said 'from mom & dad' I donated to the reuse centre as whole cards together with the other card fronts.  When I was at the centre donating them there were 3 care-workers with severely disabled clients with them who were looking at all the used cards for craft supplies, so I'm happy I found them a good home.

On the flip side I found about a dozen unused cards that I took for the non-profit I work at and a few other supplies for that office.

Also sold a few items, and cleared off an additional half shelf of random supplies. This process has been slowing down as the obvious items are already gone but it still feels great!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4007 on: December 08, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
I listed a couple of things for free on our local FB buy/sell/swap group today. Felt great as they needed cleaning up first and I'd been putting it off. No takers yet tho.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4008 on: December 09, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »
Husband sold the two remaining dead vehicles on the property. This is huge!

Meanwhile, I'm figuring out why I have trouble with this concept in the house. I needed something for a white elephant exchange at work and had to search for almost an hour to find something we weren't using, and then it wasn't something we'd bought (a travel alarm clock that had been left behind in my hotel room on a recent trip - yes, I did check with the front desk before bringing it home).

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4009 on: December 09, 2016, 06:04:06 AM »

I'm impressed! This is quite a few vehicles off the property now. It must feel great.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4010 on: December 09, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
I scanned in almost all my physical photographs made over the decades.  Physical DVDs and CDs are next on the list for digitization.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4011 on: December 09, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
Seven grocery bags of stuff and a pet carrier are ready to go the thrift store! Most of it is DH's stuff, but I'll take credit anyway since I nagged him for a month to do it. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:19:37 PM by nessness »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4012 on: December 09, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »

I'm impressed! This is quite a few vehicles off the property now. It must feel great.

Yep, total of five gone (and two of the trucks are already on the road again. But this has all brought he to me what a good job he's doing in keeping clutter out of the house. He does try.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #4013 on: December 09, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »
I have a partial win. I tried to take my Xbox 360 game console and 16 games to Gamestop to trade them in for money. Sadly, I forgot one of the cords for the Xbox, so I couldn't trade it in, but the games brought in $55. Now I just have to grab the cord to the Xbox and make a second trip to the store to get rid of the console. Sadly, since this time I'll be trading it in for cash rather than a store credit (used on Christmas gifts), I'll get $8 less than I would have if I'd done it today. Oh well. Still a win, and probably another $32 in my pocket.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4014 on: December 09, 2016, 06:57:04 PM »
Took maybe 17 items to a nicer consignment shop this week. I also have a bag started for the goodwill of clothing and a box started for books for our local library sale. I hope to get some items cleaned out over Christmas break and get my house in a less cluttered state...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4015 on: December 09, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Neighbors are collecting new and gently used items for December foster care placements.  Donated all the boy 6-9 months clothes I had bought last year when I was pregnant (about 15 items), a new in box 20 year old collector Barbie, and a small pile of books.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #4016 on: December 10, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »
I scanned in almost all my physical photographs made over the decades.  Physical DVDs and CDs are next on the list for digitization.

I also got rid of all my music CDs and movie DVDs. I have a few CDs and DVDs with pictures in them. As soon as I upload them to a free online site, I will get rid of them too. Physical photos? I don't have a scanner anymore. May be I will start by discarding the ones we don't need anymore and duplicates. :-)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #4017 on: December 10, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Sold some bike parts, including a wheel and a frameset, to two of my very nice colleagues! Quite a thing, since selling bike related stuff is the hardest for me.

Some Christmas decoration given away too, and the $50 voucher I got as a christmas present from my job went to charity immediately.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:19:50 AM by DagobertDuck »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4018 on: December 10, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
Had a miraculous hour of motivation.  I started gathering things to deliver on my holiday travels. A crockpot I no longer need for a sibling. A box of canning jars for a friend.  A couple books for another friend's daughter.

I cut down an Amazon box to fit under my bed and hold the shoes I store there. Hope it makes things neater, less dusty and easier to access. I'll try it for a few weeks and if I like it I'll cover the box with pretty fabric so it matches all my other diy storage. 

I am almost done with two huge research projects which means that this week I'll be able to move dozens of books out of my apartment and back to the libraries! 

A few weeks ago I accepted some free fabric for the first time in years (since I started the serious downsize effort). I have used up my supplies so thoroughly that I knew I could use more and I knew I could accept it without over filling the space I have allotted to it. It felt really good.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #4019 on: December 10, 2016, 04:22:38 PM »
A couple of weeks ago on Saturdays I started collecting a number of things to get rid of, equal the day of the month (so on Nov. 26, 26 things, Dec. 3, 3 things, and today, 10 things).  Today my husband joined me and collected his own 10 things.  So we have a couple of boxes to donate, some boxes and papers in recycling, books to the library for them to sell, and a few clothes to our town's holiday drive.  Hooray!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4020 on: December 10, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »
Gave away a whole heap of paperbacks on Buy Nothing this week :-)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4021 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
Spent the morning having a garden tidy up. Washed out old pots with a bleach solution. Got rid of a couple of broken pots, then sorted things into 3 crates so it's a bit more organised - one for seedlings, one for seed raising pots and what not and one for all the natural pesticides, fungicides etc we've got in spray bottles. Planted some seeds even though we have no space so that I can swap them for veggies in the new year. Not that seeds take up space but they don't last forever and I can't just chuck them out.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4022 on: December 11, 2016, 01:59:51 AM »
I'm clearing the clutter on my kindle by reading the books I have there. I've fallen into the trap of ignoring books on there just because they aren't actual paper books cluttering up the place.

I'm going to go through my linen cupboard next week as I know I have some things that can go to textile recycling.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4023 on: December 11, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
Shredded a LOT of paper on garbage night. I can't believe some of the stuff I've saved. Like credit reports from 2003 and 2008. You're entitled to a free one every year, as far as I know.

Kept old paychecks from my last job. I have no idea why. I guess I just shove things in the file drawer sometimes and forget about them.

I threw out some candles from memorial services. I realized that I will never forget the people or events memorialized (one was 9/11) and I don't need to keep the candles as a reminder.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4024 on: December 12, 2016, 04:11:15 AM »
Shredded a LOT of paper on garbage night. I can't believe some of the stuff I've saved. Like credit reports from 2003 and 2008. You're entitled to a free one every year, as far as I know.

Kept old paychecks from my last job. I have no idea why. I guess I just shove things in the file drawer sometimes and forget about them.

I threw out some candles from memorial services. I realized that I will never forget the people or events memorialized (one was 9/11) and I don't need to keep the candles as a reminder.

A free one from each of the reporting agencies, actually.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4025 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
Someone is supposed to pick up one of my Craigslist items today - a large suitcase that I don't need.  Since I didn't get any takers for my skis, I'm thinking about bringing them in to a consignment store in the neighboring town instead.  They sold my skates a couple of years ago, so I may get lucky with the skis as well.  I'll try to do that later on this week.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4026 on: December 12, 2016, 07:35:46 AM »
Two big tubs of cloth diapering supplies.  All done with babies! (my own, that is)

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4027 on: December 12, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »
Tossed some old makeup and a couple of misc. pieces of paper that were hanging around for no good reason. On my way out the door, I spotted a well-worn pair of sandals DH picked up for me a couple years ago that do not fit me. I think they will be in the trash this week...They are so worn I am surprised Goodwill sold them to anyone.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4028 on: December 12, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Another donation bag out the door, mostly clothes and white elephant/Secret Santa gifts*.

*I've seen other people complaining about the great crap exchange that is white elephant/free Secret Santa, but I actually like it as a way of getting rid of stuff.

I give things that I'm a bit reluctant to donate but happy to give to a friend.

In return, I receive crap I can cast off easily.

So, overall, there is less stuff in my house.

Still waiting on a council clean-up to toss three or four larger items.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #4029 on: December 12, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
I am in full on get rid of crap mode. I have been on this train for awhile. But this last weekend I got into it again and hubby and I filled the donation bin.

And just by luck I was looking on craigslist to see if the rower in my garage was worth anything. And I saw a post for a guy that was wanting one. He gave me $470 for it. I will take it. I refuse to feel bad for buying something years ago that did not work out. My life is different now.

But that money is going straight to Vanguard!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4030 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
* Took a bag of baby clothes and a bag of old linens to Goodwill
* Sold $30 of clutter on eBay
* Listened to KonMarie on audiobook for inspiration on future decluttering/minimalism

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4031 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
I just threw out this unused kids scrapbook that has followed me around at least 3 house moves and possibly overseas. I was keeping it for a sketch pad but it's all discoloured and bent so it's gone. The silly things we hang on to.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4032 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
We've had a hard time getting rid of stuff. We bought our house from my in-laws, who were downsizing to a one-bedroom condo. We moved in as they were moving out, and a few months later we realized that they had stopped taking stuff. Their new place was full, so they just started stashing stuff in our garage, basement and attic.

My MIL has always been a pack rat, and a lot of it stems from growing up in the Philippines during WWII, when people had very little of anything.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clear some attic space so that I could put my weight bench and rollers (for the bicycle) up there. I donated two carloads of clothes, filled the recycling and trash cans two weeks straight, and can finally move around up there without falling over stuff.

i also went thru the stuff in the basement and filled another recycling can full of old papers (from various associations they belonged to over the years).

I think after the holidays I'll start on the basement again. There's a pool table I want to get rid of, plus the Lenox collection (MIL's) that I've hidden down there (we had vases all over the house when we moved in), and some boxes of LPs and other stuff that I need to look at. I even found a box of 8-track tapes down there.

I've been a pack rat myself when it comes to books. I must have at least 5,000 books in the attic. It might be worth trying to sell them online, but we'll see. If it's more trouble than it's worth, they'll end up at Goodwill.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4033 on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
House staging continues.  Tossed the very dusty, faux ivy from our wedding 10 years ago, last year's phone book (WHY do they still print these?), and a few beyond-their-years Christmas decorations.

I put two unopened bottles of Bath and Body works lotion into the donation box and asked family not to buy any more for me for Christmas.

I used up the hand soap and Shout refills bottles, and hopefully won't have to buy more before the move.  We're down to our last jars of pasta sauces and misc canned goods in the pantry, bottles of mayo and salad dressing in the fridge, and shampoo and conditioner in our HBA stockpile for me.  We'll see if I can refrain from restocking during this week's monthly grocery shopping.  ;)

Food stockpile consumption continues as posted on the Eat ALL The Food MM thread.

Next I need to toss several pairs of sandals.  It is very difficult for me to throw away clothing and shoes, even when beyond donation condition, for some reason.

Now, if someone would just buy our home.  :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4034 on: December 13, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
We've had a hard time getting rid of stuff. We bought our house from my in-laws, who were downsizing to a one-bedroom condo. We moved in as they were moving out, and a few months later we realized that they had stopped taking stuff. Their new place was full, so they just started stashing stuff in our garage, basement and attic.

My MIL has always been a pack rat, and a lot of it stems from growing up in the Philippines during WWII, when people had very little of anything.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clear some attic space so that I could put my weight bench and rollers (for the bicycle) up there. I donated two carloads of clothes, filled the recycling and trash cans two weeks straight, and can finally move around up there without falling over stuff.

That's a tough situation. How are they responding to you decluttering?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4035 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »

That's a tough situation. How are they responding to you decluttering?

My FIL never cared what we kept and what we tossed, but my MIL was much more resistant to change. At first, my wife would be questioned whenever one the "beautiful" (uh, "hideous") vases disappeared to the basement or attic, but she adjusted over time.

I can now sneak out the really useless crap, like an electric footbath from the '60s that I'd be afraid to plug in, or drawers full of clothes that haven't seen the light of day since the '80s. We're getting there.

Some of the stuff we'll just keep for now, as it's only taking up space in the storage section of the attic, and it's out of sight.

I'm going to start sorting the stuff in the basement soon, and get rid of what I can. I don't think she'll notice, as she really doesn't go down there anymore.

Funny story - there was a chest freezer in the basement that was last manufactured in 1976 (not sure how old it was) and was still filled with food. I decided to empty it out one day and found a huge fish wrapped in newspaper that my FIL had caught...in 1997. It started to stink after only a few minutes, and my daughter and her friend quickly took it to the creek in the back yard and set it free.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4036 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »

I've been a pack rat myself when it comes to books. I must have at least 5,000 books in the attic. It might be worth trying to sell them online, but we'll see. If it's more trouble than it's worth, they'll end up at Goodwill.

There are some apps you can get that let you use your phone to scan the ISBN from the book and tell you what you can sell it for. If you have any collectible or valuable books you can quickly sort them out and drop the rest off at a local thrift store or school/prison book drive.

Do not discount finding one or two books worth money, I have a set of hard to find paperback novels worth about $240.00.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4037 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »

There are some apps you can get that let you use your phone to scan the ISBN from the book and tell you what you can sell it for. If you have any collectible or valuable books you can quickly sort them out and drop the rest off at a local thrift store or school/prison book drive.

Do not discount finding one or two books worth money, I have a set of hard to find paperback novels worth about $240.00.

Yeah, that's what I need. Some of them are obvious enough, but not all. I looked up one book because I'd forgotten the author's name, and found that the book I paid $5 for is now selling for $95 and up. It's always worth checking.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4038 on: December 14, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Had our work Christmas party along with mystery presents.  Was struggling to figure something out and my wife says "I have these holiday mugs that we got from my work a few years (probably 15) ago that you can have, we'll never use them".  There ya go.  As it turned out, the person who picked my gift thought it was the cutest thing they ever saw.  Excellent.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4039 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »

Funny story - there was a chest freezer in the basement that was last manufactured in 1976 (not sure how old it was) and was still filled with food. I decided to empty it out one day and found a huge fish wrapped in newspaper that my FIL had caught...in 1997. It started to stink after only a few minutes, and my daughter and her friend quickly took it to the creek in the back yard and set it free.

Eeeeeeeyugggh!!!!

Today I am sad because although I got rid of a big sack of cloth diapers, within a few days I found an even larger sack on my doorstep... a mom at my son's school dropped off clothes from sizes 3-7 for my daughter. Nice, but now I lose storage room again.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4040 on: December 14, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Sold an over-priced pair of boots through the consignment shop. Now I have one less pair of boots and I can finally put that stupid purchase behind me. >.<

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4041 on: December 15, 2016, 03:12:30 AM »
Sold an over-priced pair of boots through the consignment shop. Now I have one less pair of boots and I can finally put that stupid purchase behind me. >.<

It feels so good to stop beating yourself up everytime you see a 'bad' purchase! Yay!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4042 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »

It feels so good to stop beating yourself up everytime you see a 'bad' purchase! Yay!
\

Does it ever! I was shopping with a friend and she convinced me to buy the boots. Cursed peer pressure! But now they're gone, I have a little bit of cash, and I can put it behind me. Even partially fixing financial mistakes lets me forgive myself and move on, especially now that I don't have evidence of the mistake sitting in my closet and taking up space. :)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4043 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
I've been challenging myself to either use up or throw out my old toiletries and cosmetics. I used up  some samples of shampoo and conditioner and I'm working on a small bottle of body wash that I've had for 2 or 3 years. Tossed some old nail polish and some perfume I've had since high school (I'm 30!). Started using a couple of face products that I haven't used in a while. Even though this stuff doesn't take up much space it definitely contributes to the cluttered feel of my bathroom.

Not sure what to do with a couple bottles of hairspray; I use it very rarely so I probably have a lifetime supply. Does hairspray go bad?

This weekend friends are coming to take an old loveseat that's just taking up space in the soon-to-be nursery. They were going to take a sofa too but changed their minds so I guess I need to list that on Freecycle.

Listed our Kitchenaid mixer that we never use on Craigslist last week but no offers yet. I thought I priced it fairly but I might reduce the price to get it sold.

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4044 on: December 15, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
I have a bunch of old paintings painted by my grandfather and mother.  Also, my mom bought many paintings i don't care about.  I plan on keeping some of their personal paintings but this stuff just takes up so much space.  I feel bad if I throw it away but I am not really sure what to do with it?  Any ideas would be great.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4045 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
I have a bunch of old paintings painted by my grandfather and mother.  Also, my mom bought many paintings i don't care about.  I plan on keeping some of their personal paintings but this stuff just takes up so much space.  I feel bad if I throw it away but I am not really sure what to do with it?  Any ideas would be great.
Offer them to other family members first.  Then try to sell them (Do you have any local auction houses?  Maybe the place your mother bought them from will buy them back?).  Then try to give them away (charity shop, secret Santa, raffle prizes).  Then use what you can as kindling/firewood and send the rest to the dump.

I've just listed a sofa on Freegle.  Bought second hand 13 years ago, still a good and comfortable sofa but no fire safety certificate so not worth trying to sell.  Dedicated reading of this thread has led me to the conclusion that I'd rather have the floor space.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:10:37 AM by former player »

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4046 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
Tossed the above mentioned sandals, plus some art supply bits and bobs that would be of no use to anyone.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4047 on: December 15, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Not sure what to do with a couple bottles of hairspray; I use it very rarely so I probably have a lifetime supply. Does hairspray go bad?

Hairspray is useful for fixing drawings in pastels/ pencil if that helps. Do a test patch first I guess.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4048 on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:52 PM »
I saw this message on a local community FB page today. I poked around and found a nice winter coat, a fleece jacket and a pair of snow pants that my daughter outgrew. I'm glad someone will be able to use them in such a sad time.

"Hello Facebook friends I need to ask a huge favor... I was just told by a friend of mine that 2 little girls ages 6 and 8 have just lost there mother today while we were in church service... she died in cooper hospital . The 2 little girls are on there way from Mexico to New Jersey, a week and some days before Christmas day and now have no mother to come home to.. my favor to ask is if you have any little girls winter cloth, coats, shoes ect. Sizes 6 to 10 in kids cloth with shoe size 3y to 4.5y that you can donate to help these little ones out it would be greatly appreciated and I know God will bless you tremendously. Please inbox me for pick up... these cloths are needed asap.. have a blessed night."

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4049 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »

Hairspray is useful for fixing drawings in pastels/ pencil if that helps. Do a test patch first I guess.
I have about as much artistic talent as my toddler, but your post inspired me to Google alternative uses for hairspray and apparently there are tons, including removing stains and lint; and helping your nails dry faster. Who knew?