Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851538 times)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
I also should sell some things on eBay. I bought two pairs of skinny jeans a few years ago, one I've worn a few times and the other I've never worn, because as it turned out I'm not really a skinny jeans kind of girl - I just don't find them comfy and don't know how other people wear them all the time. Lesson learnt, now I just have to get rid of them. eBay feels like a bit of a hassle but it's probably the best bet if I want to recoup some of my money.

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »
stan: we just sold my husband's ps3 and rockband set (2 separate transactions). We listed them on craigslist and ebay.

Craigslist note: we always meet at a public place - you seem most concerned about a stranger coming into your home, and I agree - we don't do this. We always meet in the parking lot of a local restaurant or something.

Ended up selling both of these things on ebay. Ebay note: for these, just make sure you add enough shipping to cover since these are pretty large objects. I think we added close to $20 for shipping on the ps3, don't remember for the rockband.

Good luck!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
stan: we just sold my husband's ps3 and rockband set (2 separate transactions). We listed them on craigslist and ebay.

Craigslist note: we always meet at a public place - you seem most concerned about a stranger coming into your home, and I agree - we don't do this. We always meet in the parking lot of a local restaurant or something.

Ended up selling both of these things on ebay. Ebay note: for these, just make sure you add enough shipping to cover since these are pretty large objects. I think we added close to $20 for shipping on the ps3, don't remember for the rockband.

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads-up! Can I pick your brain for some market research? We only have the drums, mic, game disc, and a few track packs -- for PS2. Do you think we should sell them separately or together, and do you have any input on what price to put on them?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
I don't remember where I read it, or from what faith it was from, but it went like so ... if you have two coats, one of them is not yours.  (Share with your fellow man who is without a coat sort of thing.)  I looked at my coats and pretty much decided to keep one to stay warm, one to stay dry, one to stay warm and dry both, and one for dressing up.  And a vest.

I still gravitate towards more coats.  But I try to keep to that formula, and give away the others.  I do have one of my dad's old coats in with my halloween costumes.  Speaking of, I have a problem with those.  I could outfit everyone on this blog in costumes and still have leftovers.  I need help.  Hehe.    
I also have a severe costume problem.  DH and I do medieval reenactment, and we both make our costumes.  They fill an entire closet 7.5 feet long!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
I also should sell some things on eBay. I bought two pairs of skinny jeans a few years ago, one I've worn a few times and the other I've never worn, because as it turned out I'm not really a skinny jeans kind of girl - I just don't find them comfy and don't know how other people wear them all the time. Lesson learnt, now I just have to get rid of them. eBay feels like a bit of a hassle but it's probably the best bet if I want to recoup some of my money.

It was waaaay less of a hassle than I thought it would be!  I made sure my photos were good, and that was really all.  I put a min bid of $9.99 and a buy it now price of $69.99 so any buyer getting it for under that would feel they were getting a good deal.  It's all psychology!
eBay makes the postage stuff uper easy too-I printed a flat rate USPS box label from eBay's site, then walked to the post office with some tape & packed the handbag into a USPS supplied box, taped the label on and sent it on its merry way :).

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
stan: for ease, you may want to sell it as a package deal, but since you are missing the guitar I'm not sure. You may be able to make a few extra bucks separating it out, BUT it will be more time consuming and more of a hassle (separate shipping for everything).

For pricing, look at the completed listings on ebay for rock band items/ sets.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Three boxes of books (including old tech books) and a few DVDs went to the library today.  Extra moving boxes are waiting to go out as they weren't needed for packing up our kitchen.

And my work laptop since I was laid off is now out.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
Just made $28 from sending in shirts that I haven't worn in a year, and some shirts that I've never worn! I'll call that a success -- I sent in 18 items and they accepted 13, so I got about $2 each for items I don't (or shouldn't!) wear. Some of the items accepted were older than the 5-year limit they list on their site, but they're in good condition and a classic style so I decided to take a chance on them. Now that I know they are open to taking those, I'm putting together another bag of items to send in! I sent them in to Twice -- https://www.liketwice.com/FlB4H.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
I've been working my way through my junk room. I can actually see most of the floor now. Moved some paint stuff out into the utility closet and consolidated stuff. Now I just need to have a yardsale. I've got about 4 large tubs of stuff and a bunch of lose and larger things on the bed. I now have one bedroom cleared out and ready to rent. The junk room will be ready after a yardsale. Then I just need to take another pass at the stuff I moved into my closet to clear out the closet in one of the other rooms.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
I cleared out much of my garage - bike parts, old tools and screws, random crap. Gave a bunch away to goodwill and a local bicycle recyclery and threw away much of the rest.

Sold an old inflatable bed that we kept for our old house guests, but don't need in our new space.

Also finally posted the remainder of my old toys (transformers) from childhood on ebay and they sold for $500!!

So my garage looks great, my wallet is thicker and there is no loss of love whatsoever.

-onemorebike

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
Fire drill! Friend coming to stay this Sunday, and I just found out about it!

Where she'll sleep is where I have a lot of junk. To my credit, I have packed away/given away most of my wardrobe. The closet looks amazing!

I still have more to do in that space though.

Eeek!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
I'm getting back into this. I did well a while ago last year but lapsed. Not that I got more junk, but just got lazy clearing out.

Donated a bag of old clothes. Cleaned out a section of wardrobe, containing boxes sitting there since we moved 3.5 years ago. Going through and getting rid of old papers, magazines.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »
Some donations from me and the missus as well this week:

• Two big bags of clothes
  • A number of books (tried to sell them, but to no avail)

Less clutter for me, and helping good causes as well. Can't beat that!

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2013, 06:02:13 AM »
i did so good! a friend moving brought me two boxes of hardcover james patterson books and i took them 2nd and Charles and traded them in for 87 dollars in store credit!
i will use that credit to buy gifts either at xmas or bday parties my son attends.  i really wanted to keep them though, especially the hardcover versions of the paperbacks i already own....they just look prettier on my shelf

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »
I'm getting rid of:

--my wedding dress
--a fancy party dress I wore to another wedding
--a box of toys/books
--other odds and ends
--two car seats (which I have to throw into a landfill, unfortunately).

This will be a good chunk of stuff.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »
For anyone in this thread who wants to sell stuff on eBay - they're doing a promotion for free auction-style listings until July 20. I discovered this when I went to list a bunch of embroidery stuff last Sunday.

I know the listing fees aren't a ton of money, but every little bit helps.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
got rid of a carful of crap over the weekend. it's like peeling an onion -- i keep finding new levels of shit to get rid of.

Your comment above cracked me up. That's exactly how it is!

I got rid of more today. The piles are getting smaller though. I'm getting down to old journals and papers, and those I want to look through a bit more closely.

Just shredded SO's pay stubs from a decade ago. I have no idea why they were kept them so long!

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
I'm by no means a hoarder. Minimalist would be more accurate.

I have, however, held on to a couple of items for aesthetic and practical reasons that I'm parting with.

One is a 1918 General Electric tabletop fan.

I was using it for, well, "cooling" but I hooked up a Kill-a-Watt a realized it was actually kind of energy inefficient so it's on the auction block.
Another item is a 1940's Westinghouse fan that has similar power draw. Beautiful and probably irreplaceable but just more "stuff."

The hold-up is that people aren't willing to pay much for these things. I'm looking at restoring them to bring the value up. They seem to run about $300 on eBay in restored condition.

If you are into this sort of thing, this could be a cool embedded Arduino project to replace the motor with a newer, more efficient one, and keep the old aesthetics.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
This morning I helped my boyfriend take 600 pounds of junk from his house to the dump. Which I think is the second heaviest load we've taken out there. I haven't been saving all the receipts to prove it, but I think we're at about a ton and a half since spring. This has been a mix of a) 60+ years' accumulation of junk left behind by previous homeowners; b) junk left behind by a previous girlfriend with a hoarding problem; c) construction waste from various remodeling projects.

The whole experience has me seriously motivated to continue minimizing. I'm moving into his house next month, and have suggested make a pact that neither of us will acquire any more belongings for the rest of our lives. Only sort of joking.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
I've been:

-giving away and selling clothing
-trying to get rid of things i'm not using (appliances, etc.)
-threw out some old makeup

Tackling books, next. Wanting to sell stuff on ebay, but kind of nervous about it. Thanks, Katnina, for sharing about your experience!!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
No problem & good luck!  I'm planning on listing more stuff on eBay tomorrow :).

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
I'm updating to say that my house looks AMAZING, and getting rid of stuff is part of the reason!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
I have a question about selling stuff that is technically yours, but located at someone else's house. In my case, this has to do with what is "mine" at my parents' house. My mom has kept a ton of my old toys from my childhood, and it has occurred to me that some might actually be worth something. Of course, there are a few sentimental items that I'd want to keep myself, but for the most part, I don't want any of them. Do you all think I have the right to sell them since they were mine as a child? My mom doesn't want to part with any of it, and there is a LOT. Some of my old toys are even taking up space in a storage shed that my parents pay for each month.

This might be one of those times where I just have to grin and bear it...but I see the potential to actually make some money off of some of these items and get myself closer to being out of debt. But the "are these things really mine?" question keeps bothering me. What would you guys do/have done in similar situations?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
I have a question about selling stuff that is technically yours, but located at someone else's house. In my case, this has to do with what is "mine" at my parents' house. My mom has kept a ton of my old toys from my childhood, and it has occurred to me that some might actually be worth something. Of course, there are a few sentimental items that I'd want to keep myself, but for the most part, I don't want any of them. Do you all think I have the right to sell them since they were mine as a child? My mom doesn't want to part with any of it, and there is a LOT. Some of my old toys are even taking up space in a storage shed that my parents pay for each month.

This might be one of those times where I just have to grin and bear it...but I see the potential to actually make some money off of some of these items and get myself closer to being out of debt. But the "are these things really mine?" question keeps bothering me. What would you guys do/have done in similar situations?

That is tricky. Your mom might hold onto the items because they remind her of when you're little. Choose your battles, I say. How important is it to you to sell stuff that is not stored at your place or taking up your space?

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »

That is tricky. Your mom might hold onto the items because they remind her of when you're little. Choose your battles, I say. How important is it to you to sell stuff that is not stored at your place or taking up your space?

This is probably one of those instances where I need to choose my battles. My mom isn't going to give these things up willingly, so I should just let it go.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »

This is probably one of those instances where I need to choose my battles. My mom isn't going to give these things up willingly, so I should just let it go.

Yeah, I think you have to let that go. My mom has been cleaning out her attic and digging up all sorts of old toys for my son to play with. I have to admit that it makes me so happy to see my son also love the toys that I loved. Priceless? No. But probably worth the price that I would get for them on ebay.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »
Yeah, I think you have to let that go. My mom has been cleaning out her attic and digging up all sorts of old toys for my son to play with. I have to admit that it makes me so happy to see my son also love the toys that I loved. Priceless? No. But probably worth the price that I would get for them on ebay.

That is really sweet; at my grandmother's house I definitely played with the toys my parents had when they were little and it's a pretty special feeling. There is a line between hoarding and making use of things, but this is an especially sweet thing to do.

Oh! I haven't been purging enough of my own things lately, but my coworkers and I are ridding the classroom of various things we have no use for and no other teachers can/will claim. It's school policy that we can't sell the old things, and we've had to out them in the dumpster. So pro tip for those of you inclined: Check school dumpsters for toys, papers, craft supplies, furniture, etc. It's actually pretty amazing what you might find.

Xavier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
Great thread.
This will be my second gauntlet.  If I can handle them both I'll be a friggin' superstar, or at least better than I was.

Many of the posts noted the psychological component behind why we collect all this stuff in the first place.  For my part, I whole-heartedly agree.  Having come from a background of years of having little it can be very, very challenging to let things go.  We're not little robots and in my view, recognizing our own little idiosyncrasies is part of putting ourselves on a better path.

For those who haven't watched it, the TV series 'hoarders' is a stark and sometimes disgusting look at the hoarding behavior.  I  made the mistake of eating dinner while watching this a few times.  To be clear, I'm not looking down at these folks.  These are people with something more wrong than simply being lazy.  Left unchecked, I could completely see myself heading down that path.  Scary but true.

Challenge accepted.  I'll report back occasionally.  Strength to everyone else tackling their own clutter! 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »
Nice to have you on board, Xavier!

I've been a bit slack on the clothes front, but at least I've been working on the food front. Still eating up things that have been hibernating in the pantry and freezer for way too long. I haven't been super gung-ho about it, but am doing enough that I can see the difference, plus discovering how tasty some of that stuff is and wondering why I neglected them in the first place!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
Well, we are moved into our fab apartment, and I keep finding more things I want to get rid of! Got another box and a couple bags to take to the Goodwill within the next few days.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Wife is taking two plastic containers of children's/baby clothes to a consignment sale along with 2 boxes of toys (would have liked to seen more toys go bye bye, but oh well).  That's something like 75 articles of clothes (we could sell more, but they put a 75 item limit on clothes).

I still have to take my used electronics over to the thrift store to see if they will take it.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
Ahhh, I sold my old laptop today for $100. Yay! I'd been lazy about getting that thing listed. Now I feel the motivation to get rid of some more stuff. I'm going to try and sell a few more items, and if those don't sell, I'll donate them soon. Just ordered a few bags from www.donatestuff.com (check it out if you haven't - they mail the bags and you stick them in the mail with your linens and clothes).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:14:28 PM by KatieSSS »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
I've been working on this the past few months.  A coworker and I have been challenging ourselves, first to get rid of 7 items a day for a month.  I got going fast on that one and inspired myself to get rid of 500 items in total.  Gave away all of my old jewelry from when I was a kid to a friend's daughter, bags of stuff to goodwill, trashed old makeup, chapstick, toothpaste samples, sunscreen, medicine, went through my paper piles, clothes, etc.  I'm at 465 now, just need some motivation to finish it out.  After we lost steam on the items per day we set ourselves a 6 week declutter challenge, which ends this week setting personal goals of areas of our apartments to declutter.  I'm in the lead so it's looking like my coworker owes me a drink.  :)

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »
My last big purge was 2 years ago when we were expecting baby #1.  Now, we're expecting baby #2 and I'm up to my old tricks.  I already went through my dresser and closet, but I think a second, more ruthless, pass is in order.  Let's face it, I will never be a size 2 again. 

I also want to get rid of the majority of my books.  I realize that I've been holding on to several of them for bad reasons (pride, sunk cost, etc.).  I'll keep things I use frequently, but I've got shelves of books that I will never look at again.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »
So in recent times I've been cooking from the pantry more than usual, and successfully annihilated a container of dried mushrooms, and a bag of dried borlotti beans. I'm thinking next I'll work on some dried mung beans, couscous and cornmeal that has been lying around for a while.

And just today, I finally listed a of pair skinny jeans on eBay. Hopefully someone will want it. When I find more time I'll start listing some dresses too, spring will be arriving soon in Australia.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
I am turning my computer desk (aka where I waste time) into a normal desk without any computer setup.

I'm tempted to get rid of the whole thing as I use what is in it probably 1/1000 days a year but... can't get there yet :D

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Woohoo!  I went through my books today and ditched all but a few shelves, trying to keep it down to ones that I use as reference. 

We also did a bunch of re-organizing my son's toys, so that he only has a few out at a time - when he gets bored with those, we'll exchange them for some that are put away.  We also put into storage a few toys that are too young for him (but we are keeping them for baby #2, who should arrive in the spring).

I also pulled out my old maternity clothes, although I can't find my non-maternity, larger-size clothes, which would be perfect for those first couple of months before I "pop".  I may have actually donated them, which is too bad.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
So I used to have an addiction to buying office supplies (my dad's the same way) and I had a bunch of spiral notebooks and writing utensils that were slightly or never used. If I tear out the used pages, do you guys think it's fair to donate useable spiral notebooks? I'm never going to be able to use all of them. I've seen people buy bags of pens and pencils and various art supplies from thrift stores so I'm sure donating those is fine, but I've never seen second-hand paper goods sold. Would donating those be an asset to a thrift store or a burden?

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
Friend of mine was having a yard sale yesterday so I loaded up my car with all the stuff I had in my junk room. I was able to make 75 bucks in about four hours. We're planning to do it again this Sat and then take any leftovers to Goodwill to be rid of them. I don't anticipate doing as well next time since I sold some of my best stuff last time.

Now I need to see if I can sell some of my Star Wars CCG cards somewhere for some more income.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
So I used to have an addiction to buying office supplies (my dad's the same way) and I had a bunch of spiral notebooks and writing utensils that were slightly or never used. If I tear out the used pages, do you guys think it's fair to donate useable spiral notebooks? I'm never going to be able to use all of them. I've seen people buy bags of pens and pencils and various art supplies from thrift stores so I'm sure donating those is fine, but I've never seen second-hand paper goods sold. Would donating those be an asset to a thrift store or a burden?

It's something I'd personally be willing to buy.  If they are in pretty good shape you may inquire with a local school as well, or if they can pass for almost-new, put them in a local school-supply drive as lots are happening right now.  If they are beat up you may just want to recycle.

I feel your pain on office supplies!  I looooooove me some office supplies.  I've been really actively working on controlling this for several years now and it's making a difference stuff-wise and we ALWAYS still have everything we need.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
Donated two bags of stuff this weekend! Felt great. Now, if that Craigslist person would get back to me about buying a few items, I'd be super happy right now :)

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Donated two bags of stuff this weekend! Felt great. Now, if that Craigslist person would get back to me about buying a few items, I'd be super happy right now :)

I do get tired of the people who respond to ads and then never show up.  I'm trying to give away a chair and ottomann, and I'm only willing to put limited amounts of effort into giving something away!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Dropped off 5 items of clothing at the thrift shop tidy, and 4 yesterday.  Still more to go but I can only take so much on the bike :).

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

I do get tired of the people who respond to ads and then never show up.  I'm trying to give away a chair and ottomann, and I'm only willing to put limited amounts of effort into giving something away!

Ugh, exactly. Another Craigslist pet-peeve: when you agree on the price, then they meet you in person to get the item and ask you to sell it to them for less. I've had that happen a few times. Still no word from the current Craigslist person, but did manage to sell one other item. $25 in found money!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Over to the donation center:
about 6 kids toys (small number, but we wanted to let our daughter pick some more tonight)
1 Baby Swing
1 steamer for cooking (we have another one)
1 set of 3 cooling racks (we had gotten two sets for our wedding 9 years ago :-/ )
1 VCR (yes, it was sitting in our storage room)
2 DVD Players (we upgraded to blu-ray in combination with Amazon Prime and we have an xbox 360)
1 dual cassette tape player (yes, sitting in our storage room)
1 300 Disc CD Changer (digitizing audio removed the need for it)

And thrown out:
Assortment of daughter's coloring books and stuff that isn't used anymore.

The basement and storage room have so much more room in them now.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
I'd have loved to get my hands on a CD changer that large. Digital is nice but I buy CDs whenever possible since you actually own CDs unlike digital purchases. And since I get a good bit of my music at yard sales and thrift stores it's usually cheaper than digital too.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
I'd have loved to get my hands on a CD changer that large. Digital is nice but I buy CDs whenever possible since you actually own CDs unlike digital purchases. And since I get a good bit of my music at yard sales and thrift stores it's usually cheaper than digital too.

Guess i should have put that one up here!

I had our entire CD library in it at one point, but we didn't listen to it enough and I digitized all of our CDs (still have the CDs themselves, just in boxes in storage).  My wife put most of her's on he iPhone, mine was on DVDs so I could take them to work and just flip around whatever I wanted.

Did you want a VCR also? ;-)

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
Nah, I converted to DVD long ago (EDIT: Actually, I think DVDs were already around when I started buying stuff). I just sent my VHS Star Wars Trilogy and one of Abbott and Costello to the Goodwill with the rest of the stuff that didn't sell.

I was looking at digitizing my DVD collection but it would take an insane amount of storage space to do so. My BluRays would be even more. This was all pre-MMM and I don't think I've bought any since finding his site.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »
Went on a spree this weekend, got rid of a bunk bed, and am working on getting rid of all our VHS tapes. Also 3 big bags of clothes, a desktop computer, and trying to find a place to bring my broken flatscreen TV to recycle.

I haven't even made a dent in the kids' rooms. That will take an act of God to clear out.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Just moved to a smaller place (woo! $400/month cheaper!) and am trying to divest myself of an epic amount of STUFF. Blech.

I find it very difficult to get rid of nice items that I never use. Like a coach bag. Sigh.