Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851352 times)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3350 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »
I got an awesome locker off of Freecycle once, I still use it in the garage to store paint and motor oil.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3351 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »

When I don't have time, I put things out on the curb on Saturday morning with a 'Free' sign, and they're usually gone by mid-afternoon.

yup, that's what we do except in the alley (where the "Free" is assumed by the fact it is there in the first place!).

Might be able to enlist my neighbor in helping to haul the thing downstairs; he's a big dude.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3352 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
Gathered up a bunch of items needed by new families that arrived with nothing. Feels good to donate to people who really need it and appreciate it. Someone should be coming by tomorrow to pick them up.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3353 on: April 14, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
I was finding it hard to gather up things to go out the door without being messy (can't be messy when Realtors and potential buyers are coming through every afternoon and evening) but I had a couple hours today to do errands and clean up and got 2 big boxes out the door. Just to my car at this point, but will be dropped off at a friends garage sale tomorrow and forever out of my life.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3354 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »
Sold an old freebie cable box yesterday for $10.  The buyer also took a bunch of cables I had.  I brought the rest of the random cables to Best Buy for recycling.  Best Buy also recycles various other electronic items and rechargeable batteries so I also brought my old electric toothbrush that I've been trying to dispose of properly forever.

I feel like at this point I have tackled all the low hanging fruit - items that were easily sold or donated.  The items I have been decluttering recently have required a lot more effort to get rid of.  They either take forever to sell or require specialty recycling or a donation to a place other than a charity shop.  But I'm determined to keep on going!

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #3355 on: April 15, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
Two more boxes to Goodwill and a bag of books to the library!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3356 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »
I got rid of a duvet and 3 pillows. It has freed up space and I am going to go and rearrange the cupboard in a minute.

I am going to put all my random stuff that I don't use everyday (footspa/ couple of handbags/teddy bears from when I was younger:)) into a clear plastic box on top of my wardrobe.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3357 on: April 16, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Gave away a rusty old wheelbarrow with a flat tire. Was going to take it to the dump, but then thought someone might want it to make a planter, and I was right!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3358 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Spring has arrived!  Woot!

Yesterday:

Returned two Mason jars from last year's canning season to a chicken owning friend.  I also gave her a stack of egg cartons.

Up-cycled two magazines and a catalog to my sister.

I neglected to bring used toner and ink cartridges for recycling.  Bummed.

This weekend I'm (finally!) going to go through old (clean!)  towels and sheets to donate to the local animal shelter.

9 bath towels, 3 hand towels, and a stack of dish towels have been neatly bagged up and will be delivered to the shelter this afternoon.  The bath and hand towels are over 18 years old.  Have not gotten to the sheets yet.....

I also threw away a skirt and shirt I've had for about as long.  The skirt had carefully placed safety pins, and the shirt had at least two pin sized holes.  Apparently I find it difficult to spend money on myself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:16:24 PM by MountainGal »

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3359 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »

I also threw away a skirt and shirt I've had for about as long.  The skirt had carefully placed safety pins, and the shirt had at least two pin sized holes.  Apparently I find it difficult to spend money on myself.

haha, me too. Last week I was at work, happened to look down, and realized the top I was wearing had 3 little holes, each about the width of a pencil tip, down the front. I have no idea how old it was. It got tossed - as I told Boyfriend, we are not so destitute that I have to hang onto holey clothing that never fit me properly in the first place!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3360 on: April 18, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
I finally took a huge bag of stuff to the Salvation Army.  It's been too long since my last trip.  BUT I'm motivated to start purging again!

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #3361 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
One carton to the Goodwill; ours is a drive through so I usually just give them the stuff and run, lest I change my mind.  Every couple of visits, I get a receipt to record all the stuff.

Five items( limit per day) to consignment; picked up a check for$17. from last batch.

Did spices over the weekend.  I use a lot of them, but somehow those little bags/jars can migrate to the back and lose their potency.  I dumped the contents into the compost heap ( they are plant based, right?).

My Kondo-ed T drawer is still folded in her way, resulting in more wear of more shirts, not just relying on the same ones washed or worn on the top.  Looks so pretty,too, and I can now do "the fold" very quickly.  So proud...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3362 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:49 AM »
We donated a few things to the recycle shed at the rubbish tip on the weekend:

- a skirt
- a dress
- pair of PJ shorts
- a coffee mug
- phone charger/cigarette lighter car thingy (predates smartphones)
- cassette player adapter for the car

Plus we threw out a bunch of stuff when we cleared out our car before taking it to the wreckers (car was written off in a minor accident a couple of weeks ago).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3363 on: April 20, 2016, 02:11:09 PM »

haha, me too. Last week I was at work, happened to look down, and realized the top I was wearing had 3 little holes, each about the width of a pencil tip, down the front. I have no idea how old it was. It got tossed - as I told Boyfriend, we are not so destitute that I have to hang onto holey clothing that never fit me properly in the first place!

Exactly.  I did something similar at the beginning of the year with several favorite t-shirts I wore only at home.  They had holes under the arms, and several in the front.  True, no one usually sees me in them except my DH.  But, poor guy, LOL!  I washed them and cut into rags after a small ceremony.  ;)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3364 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:01 AM »
I finally took a huge bag of stuff to the Salvation Army.  It's been too long since my last trip.  BUT I'm motivated to start purging again!
It's hit me too - I think it might be the changing seasons.

I unpacked my summer stuff and prepped winter things for storage yesterday. I know Marie Kondo says to keep everything out year round, but there is stuff I really couldn't wear from either season, and I prefer having fewer 'options' hanging in my wardrobe.

Took the opportunity to weed out a few things - I was surprised to find about 10 things to go to the charity shop. I got rid of three belts, which made me realise I have way too many if I won't even miss those. Whilst I don't feel like I'm in decluttering mode anymore, the constant maintenance is surprising me, even though I am so strict about bringing things into the house.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3365 on: April 21, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
It's hit me too - I think it might be the changing seasons.

I unpacked my summer stuff and prepped winter things for storage yesterday. I know Marie Kondo says to keep everything out year round, but there is stuff I really couldn't wear from either season, and I prefer having fewer 'options' hanging in my wardrobe.

Took the opportunity to weed out a few things - I was surprised to find about 10 things to go to the charity shop. I got rid of three belts, which made me realise I have way too many if I won't even miss those. Whilst I don't feel like I'm in decluttering mode anymore, the constant maintenance is surprising me, even though I am so strict about bringing things into the house.

I went to drop off a pile of clothes at the consignment store yesterday.  They were swamped!  Apparently the nice weather caused everyone to clean out their closets and bring in stuff!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3366 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
I'm torn.  I have a broken necklace.  I never especially loved it, but I wore it occasionally.  It is probably gold - it was about $100 (I returned a wedding present and there was nothing else in the store I liked and I didn't have a receipt).  There is a store that I know does repairs on jewelry, and it looks like a quick solder is all it needs.

Do I just throw out the necklace?  Get it repaired and donate it?  Get it repaired and keep it?  Put it up broken on Craig's List as a freebie?  Other idea?

It takes up very little physical space, but a surprising amount of mental space.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3367 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm torn.  I have a broken necklace.  I never especially loved it, but I wore it occasionally.  It is probably gold - it was about $100 (I returned a wedding present and there was nothing else in the store I liked and I didn't have a receipt).  There is a store that I know does repairs on jewelry, and it looks like a quick solder is all it needs.

Do I just throw out the necklace?  Get it repaired and donate it?  Get it repaired and keep it?  Put it up broken on Craig's List as a freebie?  Other idea?

It takes up very little physical space, but a surprising amount of mental space.

Take it to a jeweler.  Decide if you want to repair it.  If you're not into it, sell it to the jeweler for scrap gold.  I just sold a few pieces of gold jewelry (damaged and unwearable) and got $100.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3368 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
Cash for  gold place if not a jeweler?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3369 on: April 22, 2016, 02:19:53 AM »
I had my gold engagement ring put into a new setting after I broke it gardening. The jeweller told me the gold of the original ring wasn't really worth anything as it was 'bad quality'. I said in that case I'd keep it! I took it away on sold it online (just googled cash for gold, checked lots of reviews, researched the company etc). I got £67 for it. And it wasn't heavy, it was just a ring. So definitely don't throw it away!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3370 on: April 22, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
Gave away an old toaster and a patio umbrella to people on an "Everything Free" Facebook group.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3371 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
Cleared out another square of an expedit. They are great for being able to see progress! I've got 5 free spaces in expedite in different rooms, but also stuff in piles on the floor. New, easily trackable goal: no more piles and 3 more free spaces. Then I can rearrange the storage in the house again and get rid of a piece of furniture (bookshelf or an expedit).

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3372 on: April 22, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »
Cleared out another square of an expedit. They are great for being able to see progress! I've got 5 free spaces in expedite in different rooms, but also stuff in piles on the floor. New, easily trackable goal: no more piles and 3 more free spaces. Then I can rearrange the storage in the house again and get rid of a piece of furniture (bookshelf or an expedit).
What is an expedit?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3373 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Are we speaking Ikea Swedish?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3374 on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Are we speaking Ikea Swedish?
What is an expedit?
We are, my apologies. They're shelving with square spaces, and are in 90% of homes here, pretty sure. The square spaces are about 13" by 13" by 13".

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3375 on: April 22, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »
I sorted through a couple of drawers the other day (again) and managed to get rid of some more items. Most are rubbish, items from childhood that I have realised don't have any sentimental value to them, and I am unlikely to wear / use them again. This has created some more space in a drawer, and I am trying to ensure that I don't see this as an area to be filled, but rather space so the drawer can be used easily

When it comes to moisturiser / shower gel etc, I have some work to do here. The new vanity in the bathroom allows for items to be better organised so it will be easier to see what I have and what I need rather than things hiding at the back or in other containers. (As at teacher I get given a number of these items each year) My goal here is not to buy anything until these items are used up (haven't bought any makeup for about 18 months now with this policy) and again I would like the drawer to have some space in it, not be at capacity.

My husband loves his T-shirt drawer now, has even shown it off to some friends as to how great it is.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3376 on: April 23, 2016, 03:47:41 AM »
Went through my makeup drawer the other day and tossed: 2 mascaras (one old and one new that I didn't like), 2 really old mostly used up concealers, one old bottle of foundation that was the wrong shade.  I don't even know why I was hanging on to these... I am now down to 1 of everything I use. 

Today I will do some filing and purging of the filing cabinet.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3377 on: April 23, 2016, 04:01:03 AM »
I've got rid of a few bits and pieces over the past few days, hmm, can't think what it all was now. I know I finished up a pot of moisturiser yesterday.

My dogs have been driving me up the bloody wall barking at the dog next door so I have moved the garden storage boxes down one side of the fence to block them off. It has really worked and I don't know why I didn't think of this idea sooner!:D I will have a quick check through the boxes to see if there is anything I can de-clutter.

My capsule wardrobe has worked well, but I know I need to buy a few new items when the weather gets warmer as I don't have enough tops for warm weather. I'm going to wait until there is a sale until I buy anything new though. There is at least one top I was going to recycle as nightwear. I'm not sure if I will actually get rid of anything as nothing is ripped or damaged and still can be worn inside the house.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3378 on: April 23, 2016, 05:08:04 AM »
Gave away some car accessories yesterday. I sold it a couple months ago.

Gave my Britta and a few filters to a friend. Water at my new house is decent and I wasn't using it.

Cut up an old bra and sewed the hooks into an "extender" I'm having a hard time finding bras that fit since weight loss. This helps.

Slowly purging clothing again.  Afraid of gaining weight back but ready to move on!  A pair of jeans, fleece pants, jacket and three pair of shoes are in my out box. Tossed worn out socks.

Used up a jar of agave nectar.

Glued my chuck Taylor's.  Glued my kitchen scizzors. 2nd time. Might not last much longer.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3379 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
I've had a major bike consolidation project going on.  The goal is to go from 4.5 bikes to just two for wife and I.  So far I've had two painless craigslist sales for two whole bikes and parted out a bunch of high end "vintage" mountain bike parts on ebay.  I'm pretty happy with the amount of money I got for everything. Between assembling and disassembling bikes, it took a TON of work to get everything in saleable condition.  I don't really mind working on bikes, but if there was ever a case for not buying more stuff than you need, this is it!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3380 on: April 23, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
Made $20 at neighbour's garage sale today! I didn't even have to help at the site, since other family was there. So happy all of those items are gone. Now I just learned that the IKEA shelf (possibly also an expedit) that came with our apartment might need to be returned to the land lords.  They offered to sell it to us - um no!  We want less stuff and this is exactly the motivation I need. I will begin emptying squares in the next few days.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3381 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Cleaned and purged the kids closets today. I still need to do a second round, but it's a start. I have a hard time letting go of the clothes, as most were given to us and I hate the idea of finding them only to need to buy more later. But the truth is, I spend way too much time trying to keep up with all the clothes, and u could easily buy anything they need later on.

Anyone have suggestions on how many shorts/shorts/pants ect to keep? My boys are 5 and 7.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3382 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »
I feel like we've been purging for months!  Actually, I think we have, but we're slow. 

We really needed new carpet (existing was approaching 3 decades old), which meant the "catch all" room had to get cleared out, along with all the closets.  We got the carpet last week (ooooh, cushy!) and as we slowly put stuff back in an orderly manner, lots more is getting donated. 

But where does it all come from?!?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3383 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »
I feel like we've been purging for months!  Actually, I think we have, but we're slow. 

We really needed new carpet (existing was approaching 3 decades old), which meant the "catch all" room had to get cleared out, along with all the closets.  We got the carpet last week (ooooh, cushy!) and as we slowly put stuff back in an orderly manner, lots more is getting donated. 

But where does it all come from?!?

This! I got more ruthless with lower quality craft supplies over the weekend. My husband also found some electronics boxes he was happy to part with (finally) so that made me very happy. Our house is so tidy!

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #3384 on: April 25, 2016, 02:46:43 AM »
DVDs. In the space of 12 months they have become an utterly obsolete medium for our household. I reduced our collection of DVDs and CDs from 3 crates, accumulated over say 15 years, to one crate. How must hard-core consumers fare? Needless to say, the single remaining crate lives in the garage where our vehicle does not.

This comes on the back of getting rid of clothes. April in New Zealand is transitional weather-wise and until a fortnight ago it was necessary to have both summer and winter clothes to hand. Like many a minimalist Mustachienne, I don't have much closet space (4 drawers and 1 metre of hanging space only), so this summer-yet-winter palaver forced some tough really quite easy decisions on what really does not deserve to stay.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #3385 on: April 26, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
I am so proud to be able to post on this thread! We are selling our 2200sf clown home, 3 car garage and shed to live in a 28ft fifth wheel trailer. Whew. The gutting of our home has been daunting. We are currently prepping for a moving sale on saturday. It will be the $1/$5/$10 sale. Some awesome finds for the weekend garage sale shoppers. We just want our stuff to go to good homes, price is not a factor.

Last night we emptied the attic. ACK! What a disaster. It ended up a mountain of old sports equipment. Were talking skis, more skis, lacrosse equipment, vollyballs, tennis balls, baseballs, footballs. OMG I think hubby kept every single sporting item he has owned for the last 30 years!

I am going to feel so light once were down to a reasonable amount of stuff to store!

astephens94

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3386 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
I'm in for this! Some items on my list:

- donate old clothes to community center

- sell old games/hobbies I don't use anymore

- clean out closet crammed full of things I haven't looked at in over a year

That's a start; we'll see where this takes me once these 3 are checked off!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3387 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:08 AM »
The zipper broke on an old pair of boots. They weren't worth repairing so I threw them out. (part of me was struggling with throwing them out - there was some fear of deprivation/IBL happening for a little while)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3388 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »
I'm having a sale of my purge/kono-ing on Saturday
I've gotten rid of
-old clothes
-old electronics
-unwanted make up
-unwanted books

I don't really expect to make money off of it, but I am glad to just get rid of these things

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #3389 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Last night we emptied the attic. ACK! What a disaster. It ended up a mountain of old sports equipment. Were talking skis, more skis, lacrosse equipment, vollyballs, tennis balls, baseballs, footballs. OMG I think hubby kept every single sporting item he has owned for the last 30 years!

What a drastic change for you! Good luck with the adventure. What will do will all the stuff, do you think? There must be a market and yet putting it all on ebay ... I can imagine it would be so much work and depending on what else you have your plate, pretty daunting.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3390 on: April 28, 2016, 03:13:18 AM »
I have a stack of paper books that I have read and was going to resell, but I might just donate them. Someone was going to give me his books to sell as well so I will have to consider it before he comes over. It seems like a lot of hassle to put them on Amazon and then have to buy the packaging to send off. Haha, I will see how I feel.:D

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3391 on: April 28, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
Sold an old hobby supply on Amazon. Honestly, I had forgotten it was listed, just languishing in the 'to sell' pile.

The problem is that knowing I CAN get money for these items makes it hard for me to give them away... yet even the thought of the payment isn't really persuading me to get on and list things for sale.

I will pick a date (my birthday, that's easy), and anything not listed and sold by then will be donated, and any remaining listings deleted. I've decided.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3392 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
the advicist, I agree - it is such a PITA to list things for sale, and then find packaging for them, pack them up, ship them... but I hate giving stuff away knowing that I might get some money for them. And I have such terrible luck on Craigslist and the Facebook virtual garage sale sites. Nothing but no-shows and people getting pissed that I won't take off work so that I can meet them in the middle of a workday.

I'm starting to get over that now; since we're hoping to move when our lease is up it makes me happy to see stuff leaving the house.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3393 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23:22 AM »
Speaking of the 'I can't give this away, it might earn me/save me money!', I'm leaving my job and have used my desk space and an office closet as a big hoarding zone. Finally biting the bullet and donating some of the stuff that's here because I don't really want it in my apartment and have no runway left to sell or repurpose it. I think this is good and if it means I'm wasting some past money, maybe that will remind me in the future!

Also maybe unrelated but yesterday I passed up the opportunity to buy two beautiful $5 hats because .... well I already have nice sunhats and haven't had cause to use those yet.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3394 on: May 07, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3395 on: May 07, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Set up DH in the study with box of his paperwork and instructions on a whiteboard. YAY. Only un-reproducable records will be kept, everything else is getting recyled with a few documents to be selected for scanning. That's 1/4 m3 I'm happy to see go.

Off to enjoy the sunshine and pull weeds.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3396 on: May 08, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »
Having a yard sale this Saturday with my neighbor. Almost everything that didn't sell on craigslist or eBay is in one place and ready to go. AND it's going to be good weather here.

Will post afterward if I learn anything about yardsaling.

Campanula

« Reply #3397 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

+1 Just went on holiday with only hand luggage and it was so liberating to have so few possessions to think about. Of course, mentioning this made DH a very nervous man.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3398 on: May 08, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
Set up DH in the study with box of his paperwork and instructions on a whiteboard. YAY. Only un-reproducable records will be kept, everything else is getting recyled with a few documents to be selected for scanning. That's 1/4 m3 I'm happy to see go.

Off to enjoy the sunshine and pull weeds.
So much went out! The recycling bin is full this week.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3399 on: May 08, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »
DW and me just cleared out our upstairs again:

1. A ton of books, now replaced by eBooks
2. Random accumulated junk
3. Her books from medical school (donated to the university)
4. Some electronics

We probably reduced the clutter by 50%. Now we just need to do another 50%.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!