Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851349 times)

EllieStan

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3250 on: March 09, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
I need a face punch, kick in the pants, or something... please tell me to unload this stuff:  I'm a runner and have collected probably dozens of shirts from races as well as purchases (mostly clearance or thrift-store, so not a lot of $ spent at least).  I have an entire small roll-aboard suitcase on the top shelf of my closet stuffed with them!  I've kept them because I have actually taken some of these excess shirts when I travel and after wearing, I toss them instead of carrying home wet stinky running clothes.  But seriously, how many throw-aways do I need?  (We travel a lot but I think I've done that exactly 3 times).  Also, the suitcase is a small old extra one that someone gave us that I'd like to toss.

I've grown to like the idea of taking a picture of things I cling to (even though I never use them and forget they even exist). You could do that as a way to remember each of these races. If you want to keep a few shirts just in case, I'd suggest keeping your favourite 3 (or less). It's enough to get you through a weekend or 3-4 days without laundry. :)

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3251 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:17 PM »
These past weeks I've been reading Marie Kondo's (e-)book and though I am not aggressively throwing stuff in bags, I've progressed a lot in my decluttering. I've emptied a book shelf, a DVD shelf and a 2-drawers filing cabinet (I've kept 5 files, which will move to my spouse's cabinet and we will sell this one). I've already prepared donation boxes and ads on Kijiji.

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe it's weird, but do you even respond to people who answer your ads let's say, more than casually? I don't know if I over-analyze things, but even though I ask for people to please contact me by email, most often than not, I don't even get a ''hello'', ''please'' and ''thanks''. I find it so rude! It makes me want to hit ''delete''. I don't know... I feel insecure about giving my email adress, phone number or address to people I don't know. When they don't act at least a bit polite/civilized, I feel... I don't know, threatened in a way? Like they're being aggressive towards me. I don't know how to explain.

Maybe I should just donate stuff and be done with it. :/

Donating would solve the problem.  :)

But no, that is par for the course.  If we have several responses, we tend to only answer ones that are complete and grammatical.  It might sound elitist, but those kinds of responses are the ones that have most typically ultimately resulted in a sale.

If we are getting few bites, sometimes we'll spend time answering others, but often find we'd rather just give it away.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3252 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:15 AM »
These past weeks I've been reading Marie Kondo's (e-)book and though I am not aggressively throwing stuff in bags, I've progressed a lot in my decluttering. I've emptied a book shelf, a DVD shelf and a 2-drawers filing cabinet (I've kept 5 files, which will move to my spouse's cabinet and we will sell this one). I've already prepared donation boxes and ads on Kijiji.

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe it's weird, but do you even respond to people who answer your ads let's say, more than casually? I don't know if I over-analyze things, but even though I ask for people to please contact me by email, most often than not, I don't even get a ''hello'', ''please'' and ''thanks''. I find it so rude! It makes me want to hit ''delete''. I don't know... I feel insecure about giving my email adress, phone number or address to people I don't know. When they don't act at least a bit polite/civilized, I feel... I don't know, threatened in a way? Like they're being aggressive towards me. I don't know how to explain.

Maybe I should just donate stuff and be done with it. :/

I'm generally selective in my responses to Craigslist buyers.  I ignore the ones that are obviously rude or intrusive (potentially scams).  I'd rather lose a potential sale than deal with someone I'm not comfortable with dealing.  And if I am buying something, I always make sure to send a polite message that will convey that I am a responsible buyer :-)  It takes an enormous amount of patience and time to sell stuff on Craigslist.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3253 on: March 10, 2016, 05:41:06 AM »
I did an unplanned mini-purge in my garage last night, it was awesome. The garage is my weak spot and I tend to just let things accumulate (although I can always park my car in it - it is NOT for overflow house storage). This morning was garbage day and I didn't initially plan to take the extra large garbage bin out as it only had one small bag in it. By the time I called it quits in the garage, I had the bin overflowing. I even swept out most of the leaves. It was so satisfying when I walked to my car this morning.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3254 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
I am proud to report that participation in our local Buy Nothing group is not just good for getting, but good for GIVING.

Today I dropped off 48 used 4-inch plant pots at a district elementary school for their gardening club, and donated three puzzles for their new PreK/K take-home toy library as well. Whoohoo!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3255 on: March 11, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
I have come very close to sort every inch of the house. In fact I have done one go through completely and that feels amazing.

However my last frontier is not specific areas but projects such as darning, mending, glueing and upholstering.  So the garage has furniture to glue, the linen closet has fabric to use, the closet has mending projects.  Now they hang over me as a specialized form of clutter.

Help!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3256 on: March 11, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
I have had really good luck with CL but I tend to just sell larger items on it such as furniture, appliances, car etc. I don't feel it is worth my time for the small stuff.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #3257 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
Five boxes and a bag to Goodwill today.  I've been consciously going through drawers and cabinets, donating or trashing items or putting them out for use, every day for the last few weeks.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3258 on: March 14, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
I have come very close to sort every inch of the house. In fact I have done one go through completely and that feels amazing.

However my last frontier is not specific areas but projects such as darning, mending, glueing and upholstering.  So the garage has furniture to glue, the linen closet has fabric to use, the closet has mending projects.  Now they hang over me as a specialized form of clutter.

Help!
I moved into my house 3 years ago. At the time, I cut some fabric off a bolt and put it on clippy curtain rings as drapes, but I didn't hem it or put anything to cover the electrical conduit I used as curtain rods.

A couple weeks ago, I started hemming. I've been hemming during my commute, and now the living room has finished curtains with valances. Now I'm working on the bedroom ones. It feels nice to finally get that project underway.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3259 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »
One set of sheets/duvet cover added to the donation pile.  I have too many as it is.  I'm also debating whether to sell one of my TVs.  This one is in the den and the only thing available on it is Netflix, now that I got rid of cable.  I have to ask my DD if she will want it when she starts living on her own next year, but if not, I'll sell it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3260 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »

Help!

There's something in KM about dealing with projects that you mean to do someday. Is this a project you *want* to do, or something you feel you ought to do? Is it related to who you are, or to a fantasy self? If you tossed the whole thing, how would you feel?

If it's something you are sure you want to do, can you treat it like a chore, and schedule time to do it? Or to do the first step?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3261 on: March 15, 2016, 12:36:40 AM »
I have completed cleaning out my spare room and made a start on my bedroom.

my kitchen and living room was done in January. I had a lot of stuff in my spare room that i had planned to sell but ended up just donating it all.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3262 on: March 16, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
TWO couches committed to the college girl next door when they move to their new house in May. Currently they are in our third car garage, just taking up space. Trading said couches for doggie care during an upcoming vacation- win win!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3263 on: March 16, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »
I need a face punch, kick in the pants, or something... please tell me to unload this stuff:  I'm a runner and have collected probably dozens of shirts from races as well as purchases (mostly clearance or thrift-store, so not a lot of $ spent at least).  I have an entire small roll-aboard suitcase on the top shelf of my closet stuffed with them!  I've kept them because I have actually taken some of these excess shirts when I travel and after wearing, I toss them instead of carrying home wet stinky running clothes.  But seriously, how many throw-aways do I need?  (We travel a lot but I think I've done that exactly 3 times).  Also, the suitcase is a small old extra one that someone gave us that I'd like to toss.

I save these and work out in them I never buy running gear but if you want something else to remember a race by just save the bib and get rid of the shirts.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3264 on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
Mattress and box spring out to the curb for large trash week.  Contemplated for over a year on keeping them for future consideration but came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want me or any guests sleeping on a 15+ year old mattress.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3265 on: March 20, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

This will make going much slower.  We have SO MUCH PAPER....

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #3266 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:46 PM »
I cleared out another 27 things from my closet, and a bunch of kitchen stuff today. I finally got rid of the too small tea cups and saucers that came with my dishes, all but 1 vase, and some pots that aren't nearly as good as my newer ones. They all went to a local art studio for still life classes.

I want to reduce my closet by another 50 or so items, but I hate the idea of getting rid of things that are good just to hit a target number. So instead I'm trying a modified version of the 333 project so I can hopefully identify those things I just don't love to wear and get rid of them. I'm on a 6 month clothes buying freeze in the meantime.

Next on my list is garage (should be quick since all I really need to do is move some things out on our heavy trash day) and find a place to sell some antique furniture on consignment.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3267 on: March 21, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »
Yesterday I found some more old paperwork to throw into the recycling. I thought I had been through everything, but there was some more lurking in the drawer.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3268 on: March 21, 2016, 06:20:36 AM »
Tackled some things in the basement over the weekend.  Put some boxes into recycling and some junk into garbage. 

Found: an old Comcast cable box and a bunch of cables and an old violin case with two bows and chin rests in it.  Now they are sitting in the hallway and I'm debating what to do with them.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #3269 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »
We sold our tires (the car was sold last year already). 100 Euros in our pocket and space in our basement. Finally! We put up the tires last spring/summer and no takers. Tried again yesterday (weather was nice) and three people answered the ad within an hour and the tires were picked up within two hours. Im gonna put up the carseat and a pumpkin today. I want more space!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3270 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
Tossed 5 old beauty items yesterday.  A prescription face cleanser had a 2012 expiration date.  One jar had a beauty consultant name on the bottom whom I have not dealt with in over 14 years.  This means that particular jar has moved with me 6 different times, between 3 states and back again.  :S

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3271 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

My parents had EVERY SINGLE tax return in their attic, going back to the 60s/70s, whenever they first started filing taxes. Last summer, I made them shred all but the last 10 years. Mom was arguing with me about the paperwork for the house they sold when I was 10 (I'm 30!), and the house they tried to buy but it fell through, and the purchase papers for cars they don't own anymore and haven't for years. I put them in a pile, waited until she walked away, and put it in the pile to be shredded. Gone :)

Though if you still own the house, I can see keeping the paperwork, even after decades. Or at least scanning it in.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3272 on: March 21, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
I needed to wrap gifts so I pulled out my collection of wrappings (all free and reused from Christmas past etc). I esp go for giftbags & tissue paper. It's worked really great , hav not bought a thing in years. Usu out  by about years end, when I get more :)
Anyway, I organized them again today. I'm a well organized and typically tidy person, but it got in disarray when I moved a few months ago. Recycled several smashed bags and unusable tissue. Even found a $20 target gift card someone inadvertantly left in a card.
It's the little things :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3273 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »
re: unfinished projects, if they are hanging over you, just get rid of them. You don't owe 'completion' to anyone.

If they are things you really would like to use in your home, focus on that and just do the work to get them to a useable state. Focus on how much joy you will get from them when they are done, even if you are not enjoying the process.

I threw out an embroidery I was 80% done with to commemorate the birth of my niece (who will be 6 this year!). I just hated the sight of it, it had hung over me for so long. She never knew about it, so it's not like anyone was waiting on it. I got much joy from planning it and starting it. I felt so much better once it was out of the house. No need to make our own lives harder.

I feel like I'm moving onto stage two of Marie Kondoing (I've made that stage up myself, btw). I am starting to replace mediocre things that I needed with things I love. First up is a new pair of work shoes, made in England, which fit perfectly. I hadn't realised how badly my last pair fitted until I swapped in the middle of a work day (I wanted to try them out on carpet for a few hours in a real-life situation before I decided to keep them). How wonderful it is to take a step and feel secure, not like my shoe is going to fall off or slip away from under my foot. The heels were rickety too.

Unfortunately I think I may have been buying all of my shoes one size too big for a few years. Anyway, they feel great.

I am also upgrading items in my wardrobe, but I make my own clothes, so it's not too hard on the budget. I could do with a new work suit though, and even with making it myself, fabric + lining for such an undertaking won't be cheap (though it will be in comparison to buying decent ready-to-wear, I suppose).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3274 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:41 AM »
I have had a blanket I made for a friend's kids in my craft room for two years. Tonight I am re-wrapping it for a cousin's new baby - because we'll actually see them and their baby is brand new. Feels great!

I'm at KonMarie Stage 1B, where I feel like I've found the click point but there still seems to be little bits and pieces I am finding to get rid of.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3275 on: March 22, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »
My wife and I got rid of several things the other day and organized a fair bit.

I love doing that, it feels so freeing!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3276 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
The stuff about baby gifts above spurs me to share that I finally gifted two items I've had for literally years-- a beautiful children's book by a modernist author which I bought on a whim because it was lovely and then never managed to gift (think it found the perfect home), and a pair of little baby boots for newborns. I gave it to an expectant mother because whenever I tried to give it to a baby, the baby was past newborn age when I saw it! Glad these have found appropriate homes.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3277 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
The stuff about baby gifts above spurs me to share that I finally gifted two items I've had for literally years-- a beautiful children's book by a modernist author which I bought on a whim because it was lovely and then never managed to gift (think it found the perfect home), and a pair of little baby boots for newborns. I gave it to an expectant mother because whenever I tried to give it to a baby, the baby was past newborn age when I saw it! Glad these have found appropriate homes.
I imagine that's because they don't stay newborns for long, and the new parents are probably overwhelmed :) Good call on giving it to an expectant mother!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3278 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »

My parents had EVERY SINGLE tax return in their attic, going back to the 60s/70s, whenever they first started filing taxes. Last summer, I made them shred all but the last 10 years. Mom was arguing with me about the paperwork for the house they sold when I was 10 (I'm 30!), and the house they tried to buy but it fell through, and the purchase papers for cars they don't own anymore and haven't for years. I put them in a pile, waited until she walked away, and put it in the pile to be shredded. Gone :)

In the 1980s, we found a tax return from 1925 that my grandfather had saved. In the early 2000s, my father found his tax return from 1952. It was quite amusing to see the numbers and hear them talk about what they could afford in those days on $5,000 a year. (Both returns had the same income.) I'm glad they saved those returns. But I come from a family of accountants, who are amused by such things.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3279 on: March 24, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
 I'll tell you guys something, I am LOVING all these tax write-offs! Besides the simplicity beauty peace & clarity of a clear space.
I always pay taxes & this year, I may not have to. Omg, yessss. I'll let u guys know how it works out. :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3280 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

In the 1980s, we found a tax return from 1925 that my grandfather had saved. In the early 2000s, my father found his tax return from 1952. It was quite amusing to see the numbers and hear them talk about what they could afford in those days on $5,000 a year. (Both returns had the same income.) I'm glad they saved those returns. But I come from a family of accountants, who are amused by such things.

My goal is to SCAN all the old tax returns, put them on a thumb drive and satisfy DH's need for all this memory.  Supporting paperwork for tax returns that cannot be audited by the IRS any longer needs to go....

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3281 on: March 26, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »
WE're listing our big house this coming week and the decluttering is becoming serious.
We just have too much Sh$t!  We've been keeping things "just in case'.
I've tried CL but, it's more a pain than it's worth. 9 times out of 10 I find a buyer for an item and we agree on price.  Then I meet him somewhere and
starts trying to talk the price down even more.  Everyone is looking for a steal.
It's not worth my time.

Donating to GW or other charities actually feels better.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3282 on: March 26, 2016, 08:08:54 PM »
More progress-
-Pink purse in a shade I never liked too much - back to Goodwill!
-A couple books from work- some of my coworkers are hoarders, so always great when they will let ANYTHING go.
-A few really old bottles of peroxide from a color line we haven't used in just as long.
- magazines from work, always more magazines (they are sent free of charge, but accumulate like rabbits).

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #3283 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
I've been listening to The Minimalists Podcast while decluttering: http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/
It helps me build momentum. I don't own much but I still find myself with excess.

Things I've sold on cragslist / freecycled / dropped off at salvation army over the last 4+ weeks:
Nintendo 64 + Super Nintendo(this was a hard one but it was sitting in my closet unused for years)
Video games for various consoles I don't even own anymore
Dropped off a bag of various electronic cables, headphones, alarm clock at BestBuy's recycling center
Huge bag of clothes that never fit me or barely wore. I only kept what I actually like wearing.
Sent 3 graduation gowns (elementary, high school and college) to GreenerGrads: https://www.greenergrads.org/
Collected every old CD/DVD/PC software/jewel cases and sent it to CD recycling center: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/

Some things I am working on right now or will be:
  • Currently shredding paper that is no longer needed.  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while :(
  • I have a collection of 50 blu rays. I no longer buy movies since I rent them from the library now. I've been thinking of only keeping my favorite 10 and selling the rest.
  • Selling a small AC unit that I haven't put up in the last two summers
  • I still have a Wii and 3DS that I never really use anymore. It's just sitting there. I could probably get $250-$300 for this and get myself an acoustic guitar that I'll play everyday.
  • Small annoying items and trinkets (key chains, souvenirs, etc.). What do you guys do with these things?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3284 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
With the key chains etc, if they are in as new condition and usable, I donate those to charity. You can always duck into a couple of thrift shops and see if they sell that sort of thing. Some people collect certain types of souvenirs and I know some of the local op shops here sell stuff like souvenir spoons or unused postcards.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #3285 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
I've been listening to The Minimalists Podcast while decluttering: http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/
It helps me build momentum. I don't own much but I still find myself with excess.

Things I've sold on cragslist / freecycled / dropped off at salvation army over the last 4+ weeks:
Nintendo 64 + Super Nintendo(this was a hard one but it was sitting in my closet unused for years)
Video games for various consoles I don't even own anymore
Dropped off a bag of various electronic cables, headphones, alarm clock at BestBuy's recycling center
Huge bag of clothes that never fit me or barely wore. I only kept what I actually like wearing.
Sent 3 graduation gowns (elementary, high school and college) to GreenerGrads: https://www.greenergrads.org/
Collected every old CD/DVD/PC software/jewel cases and sent it to CD recycling center: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/

Some things I am working on right now or will be:
  • Currently shredding paper that is no longer needed.  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while :(
  • I have a collection of 50 blu rays. I no longer buy movies since I rent them from the library now. I've been thinking of only keeping my favorite 10 and selling the rest.
  • Selling a small AC unit that I haven't put up in the last two summers
[/b]
  • I still have a Wii and 3DS that I never really use anymore. It's just sitting there. I could probably get $250-$300 for this and get myself an acoustic guitar that I'll play everyday.
  • Small annoying items and trinkets (key chains, souvenirs, etc.). What do you guys do with these things?

I bet if you hold off on selling the AC for another month, you'll get a higher price for it!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3286 on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
Has anyone sold a broken iPad (mini)? It has a smashed screen and won't turn on. I think i could see it for parts, but not sure if it has data on there that someone could snoop on- saved passwords and the like.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #3287 on: March 27, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
I've seen a lot of people pledge to declutter everyday for a month starting with 1 item on the first day and 30 (31/28) on the last day.  It is time for me to do some cleaning too, But with some modifications to the standard plan...

I'm not holding myself to a 30 day timeline.  I'm just working on it weekends and when I have time in the evenings.  And I am fliping the schedule and starting with 30 items and working backwards to 1.

Doesn't make sense to start with only a few items at the beginning.  I want to get rid of a bunch of stuff right now! It's driving me crazy. Must declutter now. :)  by the time I'm down to getting rid of only a few items per day I'll be making the hard decisions on what really is worth keeping, and what it just stuff holing me back. 

Two "days" in and I already feel so much better about my home.

We've always been pretty minimalist by nature so don't really have much stuff to start with.  But, life has a way of accumulating.  So it is time to clear out some space both physically and, as a result, mentally as well. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:02:47 PM by My FI future »

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3288 on: March 27, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »
We might be moving in a few months, so I just upped the decluttering ante!  In one day I sorted out 4 big boxes of items to donate, and 6 bags of recycling, and posted some big items for sale.  The recycling included old taxes and paperwork, and unloved hobby supplies. We made $600 in one day, and cleared a ton of space!  I'm trying to build on this start, since we have a potential new place lined up that is 500 square feet smaller with no garage.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #3289 on: March 27, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
With the key chains etc, if they are in as new condition and usable, I donate those to charity. You can always duck into a couple of thrift shops and see if they sell that sort of thing. Some people collect certain types of souvenirs and I know some of the local op shops here sell stuff like souvenir spoons or unused postcards.

Thanks for the tip! All are in good condition. Some even in their wrapping still. I'll bring to the local charity this upcoming weekend.

I bet if you hold off on selling the AC for another month, you'll get a higher price for it!

I had the same thought. I'm just going to take pictures for the moment and have it ready to be posted sometime next month.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3290 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
We are moving countries, so its become a massive purge. When you keep moving from country to country (like we do-5th time in our 11 years together!), there is sometimes a tendency not to deal with some of the harder to sort through items because they will just get boxed up and shipped to the next location.

But this time is the first time we have moved, since trying to get more minimalist and it has been epic and kind of freeing.

Boxes of CDs have been copied to our hard drives. The majority of our books have gone. DVDS gone. We don't really buy stuff like this anymore, it is all legacy stuff, that we have been carting around the world.

Boxes of paperwork shredded. Some furniture donated. Bags of clothes donated or chucked out.

Yay!!! Our machine is totally lean and we love it. One thing still to work on is digitizing old photos. It was a bridge too far this time but we will get it done in our next country.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3291 on: March 28, 2016, 02:56:33 AM »
We are moving countries, so its become a massive purge. When you keep moving from country to country (like we do-5th time in our 11 years together!), there is sometimes a tendency not to deal with some of the harder to sort through items because they will just get boxed up and shipped to the next location.

But this time is the first time we have moved, since trying to get more minimalist and it has been epic and kind of freeing.

Boxes of CDs have been copied to our hard drives. The majority of our books have gone. DVDS gone. We don't really buy stuff like this anymore, it is all legacy stuff, that we have been carting around the world.

Boxes of paperwork shredded. Some furniture donated. Bags of clothes donated or chucked out.

Yay!!! Our machine is totally lean and we love it. One thing still to work on is digitizing old photos. It was a bridge too far this time but we will get it done in our next country.

Awesome job! Not only is it easier, but it should be considerably cheaper to move now.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3292 on: March 28, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »
Moving house is a great motivator to purge stuff and I imagine moving abroad is even better. I was going to move house last year but we didn't and now have noticed stuff creeping back in.

I can't remember what I've posted on here, but I recently got rid of two wine glasses I didn't like. I bought some new soup bowls the other day and had to reorganise the kitchen cabinets so something had to go out.

Campanula

« Reply #3293 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
The table that's useful about three times a year but has an irresistible attraction for junk and clutter is gone. DH took it to the charity shop, along with a couple of games and other bits of things. Fewer surfaces for junk = more frequent tidying up... I hope.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #3294 on: March 29, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »
Have you ever used these notebooks for your work/hobbies since you graduated? Is the material still relevant to what you do? If so, then it may be worth your time to scan them. Factor in how much you are paid per hour by how many hours it would take to scan them in, then see if it's worth your time and effort. It very well may not be. Best of luck to you.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3295 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while

When was the last time you looked at any of these notebooks?

I got rid of all my syllabi and tests 8 years after graduation. I had kept them because some of the classes had weird names and it was useful to be able to defend what information I had learned in that class if an employer or grad school asked me about them. (My first job, I actually did this. But once I had established myself in my field, I no longer needed them.)

I hung onto them way too long.

Chances are, your notebooks never get looked at.  I would just get rid of them.

What happens if you get rid of them and you need the information.  Don't you think there is a book or webpage out there where you could find it?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3296 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while

I got rid of all my syllabi and tests 8 years after graduation. I had kept them because some of the classes had weird names and it was useful to be able to defend what information I had learned in that class if an employer or grad school asked me about them. (My first job, I actually did this. But once I had established myself in my field, I no longer needed them.)

What happens if you get rid of them and you need the information.  Don't you think there is a book or webpage out there where you could find it?

Unless you're an academic. Then keep them in hard copy or scanned copy, but keep them. Currently getting a lot of mileage out of notebooks that are decades old from my own grad school days. The professor from those old classes is dead, I'm teaching a new course for the first time in the fall, and it's giving me real insight into how to do it on a daily basis, more than I could get from a syllabus or course outline.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3297 on: March 29, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

Unless you're an academic. Then keep them in hard copy or scanned copy, but keep them. Currently getting a lot of mileage out of notebooks that are decades old from my own grad school days. The professor from those old classes is dead, I'm teaching a new course for the first time in the fall, and it's giving me real insight into how to do it on a daily basis, more than I could get from a syllabus or course outline.

Totally did that too! It has been really great, because i kept the books and notes we read too, perfect for a starting point. I let my profs know I was using their courses as a model, and how influential their courses have been for me. It made their day :)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3298 on: March 29, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
This weekend I took a pair of pants that were too small, and a blouse that was too big to the consignment store. It's not big money, but it helps a little bit.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3299 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »

Why not just keep them for now, more than likely you'll recycle them next go round if not before.