Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1151473 times)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5650 on: December 27, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »
Congratulations, Astatine!  Sorting the filing cabinets is on my tentative list for this weekend.
Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5651 on: December 27, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
We have a vacation home, and I've already started going through some of the clothes left here (I leave a few items of clothing for each kid), making a big stack for donation. They've outgrown many of the items. Sadly, I too have outgrown some of my clothing and/or since we each only have a few things here, and line drying is harder in this house, the clothes are dried in the dryer much more frequently.

Every time we're here, my goal is to weed out the pantry/fridge/freezer from random things people leave behind, and go through our closets. Sounds like a good project for today, as I'm not feeling great.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5652 on: December 27, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
 I helped my son clear out some toys to make room for his Christmas presents. Two large black garbage bags going to charity. Another in the bin. A slightly smaller white garbage bag is in my room as he was unsure. I'm confident he won't want anything from it. This from a kid I had to work hard with not very long ago as he insisted on keeping actual rubbish. So proud of him.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5653 on: December 28, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
Cleaned out a giant toy bin/organizer. Made piles to donate, recycle or toss. Saved the very few toys people still play with, and then listed the empty organizer on Craigslist. No idea if this area has a robust enough Craigslist to get any action, but we'll see. If not, I'll have my sister bring it with her on her next trip & give it to the Goodwill.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5654 on: December 28, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Spent yesterday on the mending pile.  It only warmed to minus 11 C yesterday - but the wind was wickedly cold.  So dealing with the mending pile was a great excuse to not go outside.  Some of the stuff in the mending pile should have been in the rag pile all along.  And here I was dreading the mending pile. 
Seeing the possibilities

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5655 on: December 28, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
Finally tossed the broken ironing board and curtain rail.

Christmas presents - and bags of Christmas packing - are gone from spare room.

Went through my bedroom at my parents' place and put a few things in the donation bag.

Husband got some new socks for Christmas so I'll go through his sock drawer and toss a couple of pairs that are past it.

Jim Fiction

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5656 on: December 28, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Over the past few days I went through every article of clothing I own and got rid of several large boxes worth of stuff. The newfound drawer space will be used for the little one that my wife and I are expecting in June.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5657 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Today I put together a bag of clothes for charity and also filled about half a trash bag with items for recycling. We keep things pretty clutter-free around here, so I knew it was time when I started getting annoyed at full closets and drawers!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5658 on: December 28, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
I'm away on holiday but keeping up with this thread and itching to get back to cull more stuff. This time last year I was given the Marie Kondo book and began a massive purge. A year on, I'm ready to go back and get rid of clothes that I have not worn in the last year.

Also, we have friends staying at our place while we are away which meant we got a preview and discussion of what it would be like to Airbnb our place. We still are at levels of stuff where it would not be possible. And we just don't keep the place clean enough - it basically needed a massive & time consuming spring clean for our friends and would need to be a whole other level for Airbnb.

My focus areas are clothes, random stuff that I've been meaning to list on eBay, and the pantry.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5659 on: December 28, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
I just listed a dozen things on eBay that are the very definition of one man's trash...

The only thing stopping me from dropping them in the recycling bin was the idea that I might get a few bucks for them, so I finally photographed them and listed them.

At least now if they don't sell I can toss them guilt-free.

Actually, it's not just the possible cash. I do like to see things re-used rather than get tossed out.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5660 on: December 28, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
Back in my son's room today. Cleared surfaces of dresser and bedside table. Another small bag of rubbish gone. Plenty more rehomed. The surfaces are now visible.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5661 on: December 29, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Got rid of another box of papers and stuff from a job I left in 2001. The box included a bunch of awards in frames. I took the paper awards out of the frames. Now they take up much less room, and I have six or seven frames with glass suitable for photos (or donation).
I don't know what to do with the awards that are actual plaques mounted on wood. They have my name on them, so I don't feel comfortable just donating them.

At work, we're moving to a new office building. I dumped a ton of paper that would have filled 2 moving boxes (I work on hard copy a lot and paper tends to accumulate.) 

And a few more tchotchkes into the donation box. I love getting rid of stuff I don't even like.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #5662 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
I made a great (and early!) start on my 2018 mission of sorting the basement office storage area. I’ve decided to switch the office with the guest room, which is upstairs, since I plan to work more from home and rarely have overnight guests. Spent the morning blissfully making a diagram of each of the rooms, and arranging the little furniture cutouts I’d made (to scale, of course - I may have missed my calling).

I decided to sell a dresser that would no longer fit in my new configuration, so checked kijiji to see what they were fetching vs. new (common IKEA dresser). I didn’t even have to list it! Someone was searching for one and she’s already come and picked it up for the price I wanted. I have some space back, $200 in my wallet and did not have to deal with a single flaky person.

"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5663 on: December 30, 2017, 01:08:21 AM »
I made a great (and early!) start on my 2018 mission of sorting the basement office storage area. I’ve decided to switch the office with the guest room, which is upstairs, since I plan to work more from home and rarely have overnight guests. Spent the morning blissfully making a diagram of each of the rooms, and arranging the little furniture cutouts I’d made (to scale, of course - I may have missed my calling).

I decided to sell a dresser that would no longer fit in my new configuration, so checked kijiji to see what they were fetching vs. new (common IKEA dresser). I didn’t even have to list it! Someone was searching for one and she’s already come and picked it up for the price I wanted. I have some space back, $200 in my wallet and did not have to deal with a single flaky person.
Ah! I like it best when the stuff flies off the to-sell list without even having to list. Great work!

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5664 on: December 30, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Ok, I DIDN'T THROW THINGS OUT TODAY!  (wait for collective gasp)  Well, I did throw a couple shopping bags of burnable crap into the wood furnace, but that's par for the course for me and boring and not worth making a post about.

My college son who's also a weight lifter, so bigger than me went through his drawers and came out with a big bag of clothes to donate and asked me where to put them.  Knowing that it takes my wife at least 8 years to decide to throw out a onesie even though our youngest is 17, I said to hide it in my room.  So I went to sort through, figuring everything will either be tossed or given to my 17 year old.  Bunch of pairs of pants, in new condition.  Hmmmm.....the waste size is my size.  I try them on.  They all fit.  Couple of T shirts as well that fit.  So I have about 6 pairs of pants, 4 of which can be used at work. 

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5665 on: December 30, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
Ok, I DIDN'T THROW THINGS OUT TODAY!  (wait for collective gasp)  Well, I did throw a couple shopping bags of burnable crap into the wood furnace, but that's par for the course for me and boring and not worth making a post about.

My college son who's also a weight lifter, so bigger than me went through his drawers and came out with a big bag of clothes to donate and asked me where to put them.  Knowing that it takes my wife at least 8 years to decide to throw out a onesie even though our youngest is 17, I said to hide it in my room.  So I went to sort through, figuring everything will either be tossed or given to my 17 year old.  Bunch of pairs of pants, in new condition.  Hmmmm.....the waste size is my size.  I try them on.  They all fit.  Couple of T shirts as well that fit.  So I have about 6 pairs of pants, 4 of which can be used at work.
Repurposing is good: even if you didn't get rid of stuff you did clear out clutter by moving the pants from your son's drawers to yours.  I bet you now have surplus pants which you can get rid of, right?
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5666 on: December 30, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »
Finally got everything ready to donate. 1 big bag, 1 box. Will take it to goodwill tomorrow (squeaking in under end of year deadline for tax deductions!).

Also put the tv thingy back into place after painting woodwork behind it, and my friend came over to lend a pair of hands in putting the support structures up in the big closet. With the hooks and bar back up, I have finally put everything back into the closet that has been junking up the dining room. In the process, sorted out the big box and storage tubby. Added a few things to the donate pile, put a couple things where they were supposed to be, generally rearranged, and the big box isn't in the closet anymore!

I have a couple light fixtures from my parent's house that I told them I'd put on ebay, and have been collecting boxes to find ones that would fit. I've got quite a few now, need to actually check them against the lights and recycle the ones that don't work.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5667 on: December 30, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
sorted through my fabric stash - and now only have one bin - the other bins is empty.  I also mentioned to my step mom that I have this fabric for a Christmas tree skirt but no pattern.  She has offered to actually make the skirt because I don't actually have enough fabric.  So I am giving her the fabric that I have and will likely get a skirt next December.
Seeing the possibilities

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5668 on: December 30, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
We dropped off a car load of clothing at Goodwill today.  I also posted a few items on my local Buy Nothing group. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5669 on: December 31, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »
-Sent a ton of toys/outgrown clothes with my parents, to take to the Goodwill. (We're at our vacation house, and it's not close to a Goodwill. Normally, we handled the drop offs ourselves. :-))
-Gave my toy chest/furniture to my eldest nephew, as he's hoping to start a new side business of listing things on the local Facebook page & selling it for his car insurance money. :-)
-Found a couple of nice kids clothing items with tags still on them, so I will take these back home & sell on my local FB page.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5670 on: December 31, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »
Also squeaking in under the wire by taking a donation to charity yesterday (1box). Wouldn't you know it, today I ran across a pair of slippers that I don't like. Wish I had got those out of the house yesterday, grr. Time to start a new box, I guess.
Motto for 2017: “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: December 31, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
The purge continues.
1. Ten large new picture frames - donated. Kept one picture frame and reframed an existing picture.
2. A big box of miscellaneous household and craft items - donated.
3. Papercraft - new project material - donated.

4. Eight or more paint cans - various sizes - took it to the landfill - paid seven bucks for the privilege.
5. Disposed of a gas cylinder.

Half a box of donations left sitting in the shed.

Next week ..... I'm starting in on the boogey bear - boxes and more boxes of paper to sort, trash, file. Not looking forward to it, but I will work on it every day until it is done.
Then it is time for the closet, a small cabinet and finishing up the sorting out of the shed.

I am chomping at the bit to make some jewelry and work on my photography website. I need some creativity in my life - may even mosaic the door first, just for fun.
Regardless, I'll sort one box of paper and then clear out the work area in the shed/cum studio, so I can finish a long time jewelry project, an Egyptian style necklace with lapis and coral and gold.

Hopefully, that will keep me entertained and motivated to clear out all those boxes of paper.

marion10

• Stubble
« Reply #5672 on: December 31, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Sorted out all my stuff in the bathroom- threw away some things I finally admitted I was never going to use again. Had many sample sizes- donate most of them to our church for homeless program.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5673 on: January 01, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Ist day of 2018, I decided to start small. I decluttered my bed-side table. A bunch of paper went to recycling, some things returned to their places, and other items were tossed.

Baby steps!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Other/Fluid
« Reply #5674 on: January 01, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
Ist day of 2018, I decided to start small. I decluttered my bed-side table. A bunch of paper went to recycling, some things returned to their places, and other items were tossed.

Baby steps!

Well done for getting started!

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #5675 on: January 01, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
Committing on this forum to deal with my closet in 2018 has spurred me to take a good first step. I was talking with a friend the other day and she asked if I’d heard of an Instagram/FB site (in our city, amazingly!) that sells luxury fashion items on consignment (she was asking because she thought I might want to buy stuff, but that’s okay;). I contacted the site, sent photos of everything that might be suitable, and I have 15 items going (rather bulky, as I kept original shoe boxes). IF it all sells at the prices they’ve set, I could net just over 2k (and not have to ship anything or deal with anyone - just have to drop it all off at once to them, only 10 or 15km away).

I'm so relieved to be over my interest in (owning or buying) luxury fashion. It was an expensive phase of life.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5676 on: January 01, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
-Brought 6 things to donate, and 3 things to sell from our vacation house. I need a weekend there to really go through everything, but did make some serious progress.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5677 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
One of my colleagues has been talking for a year about how she desperately needed to declutter her home.

She took a month off over Christmas, and that was one thing she hoped to get done.

Back at work today and ... she didn't make much progress.

She said it was too overwhelming and that she needed a system to get organised, so she was going to go buy a notebook to help keep track of her decluttering tasks.

She came back to work with two notebooks ("I couldn't decide which colour"), a pencil case, a shopping list pad and a lamp. What clutter problem?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5678 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
One of my colleagues has been talking for a year about how she desperately needed to declutter her home.

She took a month off over Christmas, and that was one thing she hoped to get done.

She said it was too overwhelming and that she needed a system to get organised, so she was going to go buy a notebook to help keep track of her decluttering tasks.

She came back to work with two notebooks ("I couldn't decide which colour"), a pencil case, a shopping list pad and a lamp. What clutter problem?

hahaha. Although, I feel sad that she took an entire MONTH off & didn't make any progress. That was a prime opportunity, wasted. How I would love a month off for that type of work. I do have today off, so hoping to make the most of it! Maybe a used copy of the Mari Kondo book could make its way to her desk?

marion10

• Stubble
« Reply #5679 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Excess clothes boxed up and waiting for pickup for swap.com. Wool sweater, Fleece jacket and wool socks set aside for homeless clothing distribution this Saturday at church.  I have too many Christmas ornaments- going to make another sweep when we are putting the tree away and donate those.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5680 on: January 02, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
We dropped off a car load of clothing at Goodwill today.  I also posted a few items on my local Buy Nothing group.
A bunch of stuff given away through my Buy Nothing group with minimal effort.  I also gave a friend a bunch of stuff that I know she uses (and was just collecting dust in my house). 

I have a few things to list on eBay.

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5681 on: January 02, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
Sold a VHS tape on ebay yesterday for $6.

Yes, you didn't misread that.  VHS

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5682 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »

hahaha. Although, I feel sad that she took an entire MONTH off & didn't make any progress. That was a prime opportunity, wasted. How I would love a month off for that type of work. I do have today off, so hoping to make the most of it! Maybe a used copy of the Mari Kondo book could make its way to her desk?

In her defence, she did have two young kids on school holidays and a terminally ill mother in and out of hospital every week, so the time off just didn't go as she had planned.

But I think maybe she has realised there is no perfect time or perfect way to declutter - she just has to do what she can, when she can.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5683 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »

In her defence, she did have two young kids on school holidays and a terminally ill mother in and out of hospital every week, so the time off just didn't go as she had planned.

But I think maybe she has realised there is no perfect time or perfect way to declutter - she just has to do what she can, when she can.

I think she could benefit from some directed, small tasks that work towards decluttering.  No need for a notebook, pen, any organizing.  Here's my first step that seems to always work.

1) Approach an area to declutter with a paper shopping bag.
2) Find any "throw away" paper.  Put it in the bag.
3) Put the bag into paper recycling when full.

The end.

You might think that paper is small and won't put a dent into anything.  I can tell you, going through my grandmother's house when she moved and then her next house when she passed that paper makes up a tremendous percentage of clutter.  If you start simply throwing out unwanted paper, it absolutely will make a difference.  And it's something that can be interrupted any time and restarted any time.  No organizing is needed.  In my own house, I do this and since it's winter, my wood furnace is always burning away.  The bags get tossed in there to get rid of them.  I've tossed in at least 25 bags in the last 3 years......just from clutter....not regular recycling.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5684 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
-Organized the cutlery drawer. It was such a mess and now when I grab a fork, I feel so relived.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #5685 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »
Sold a brand new, in box Le Creuset kettle on kijiji - I’d won it at a baby shower (strange, I know) and was not able to return it for store credit. Like MMM says, if you wouldn’t buy it, you should sell it. Lovely though it was, I prefer an electric kettle, and someone who wanted it got a great deal.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5686 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
After two major efforts of Rosy's time limited decluttering challenges, we finally have some of the house in a shape where I feel like we can begin decluttering it. I've been avoiding this thread because it was too much! We moved several years ago and immediately dumped everything where it fell and got to work. But I spent 2 hours today looking for some paint pens and discovered tons of stuff that my family has been stuffing in drawers. Ugh! I did manage to get all our loose paper in one room sorted...filed what we need to keep and recycled the rest.

Today I sorted through a small drawer and threw out some dried erasers and pens. We have so many pens and pencils that we may never need to buy another writing utensil again....

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5687 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
Took 2 boxes to the donation centre today, and told them to keep the rubbermaid bin I bought less than a year ago since we don't need it to store anything and I have always hated the handles.  Later I bumped into our landlord who lives upstairs and mentioned that we could probably empty our locked storage room before lease renewal time and if they are interested in changing terms to give us a discount that room could be theirs again.  She said, 'That would be great! Our storage is all overflowing.'  I didn't say, yeah I've definitely noticed that in all the shared spaces.  So now I have a deadline to deal with the last few boxes and hopefully will save $ for each month of the new lease.  It's funny - in our shared laundry room we each have a side for storage.  Theirs has slowly become stacked to the ceiling, then spread out in 3 directions and sprouted up another stack close to the furnace.  Our side holds an apartment freezer, a pile of empty boxes that I keep filling with donate items to take, and a few boxes of recycling and papers to burn.  If I could dispose of those papers today then all of the items in the locked room would easily fit in that space in a neatly stacked arrangement. I'm just pretty sure we don't need to keep all that crap so I'm going to keep sorting and donating till the lease comes up. I also want them to realize how valuable that space is to them as their stacks keep building, to hopefully get the biggest discount (I'm hoping for $15-$25 per month since it's a little room, but locks).

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Other/Fluid
« Reply #5688 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Congratulations, Astatine!  Sorting the filing cabinets is on my tentative list for this weekend.

Didn't see this earlier. Thanks! I go through my papers every so often, but this felt like a big advance on reducing the total volume of very old papers.

We've been doing more culling. DH is gradually going through his very extensive CD collection and culling to donate to a particular charity that does big fundraisers selling books, CDs etc.

We're also getting rid of:
- a big fold up chair (not very practical, unsurprisingly was a gift)
- a clock radio (modern but very large)
- some hair gel

I've also started a new bag of clothes to take to the next clothes swap. Hopefully one will happen in the next few months. (I don't want to donate my clothes to charity - my city is drowning in excess secondhand goods)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5689 on: January 05, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
I started a box of paperwork that needs to be put in the filing cabinet. It's in an unheated area so will have to wait for Spring. DD commented yesterday that she likes our house much better now that we have more open space. :-)

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #5690 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
A small bundle of dresses and skirts that I'll never wear will be going to the charity shop tomorrow, and my visiting daughter has relieved me of some winter clothing including ski gloves bought many years ago for one of her step-siblings and a coat I've been contemplating giving away for years.

Having a houseful of people has highlighted the fact that my husband has been steadily decluttering the cupboard in which we keep spare bath towels into his bike rags basket and I may need to do some recluttering. I don't think DH will ever learn to tell the difference between one piece of towelling and another and they'll all end up as bike rags sooner rather than later, so the replacement towels will be charity shop purchases.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5691 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
-Got rid of one lipgloss (used it up - buying no more lipgloss/chapstick until current stash is gone)
-Did my filing. Sorted docs appropriately, shredded & recycled the rest
-Found another item to put on eBay

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5692 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
Piles of junk out of the garage. Rusty hibachi unused for 10+ years, parts for things we no longer own, punctured tubes that cannot be patched (in a carefully labeled bag!), etc., etc., etc.

A sculpture that I didn't display because it reminded me (and DH) of a previous bad relationship, but was also too beautiful to throw away. So it sat in the garage for YEARS. Finally, I dragged it out--it weighed a ton--and SMASHED it with a sledgehammer.
GONE!!!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5693 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Small things. I threw out the box where a iPad was delivered in. As we don't plan to sell the iPad I don't see the point of storing the box in a cupboard as my DH had done.

Threw away the old calender.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5694 on: January 05, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
When we got married we didn't really want any gifts and asked people to donate money to charity. We thought we shoud make a list as well as there would always be people that will buy things and we didn't want random stuff. On the list were sets of wine glasses because we thought we should have matching sets... However, two unopened boxes now sit in our pantry. I feel so bad getting rid and I doubt I'll be able to sell them for what they are worth but realistically, I doubt we'll ever be hosting a shindig where 8 people drink champagne and if we do, I'll borrow some.
PS 95% of people ignored the request for donations and bought gifts. The only thing I really regret from the list are the various glasses that we got.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5695 on: January 05, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
Does anyone remember how I had my first paid decluttering gig? It was this week and I said I'd report back..  Well it was good but a little disappointing - I thought it would be a bit more like extreme hoarders but their place is probably no more cluttered than mine :) I helped clear out about 1cubic metre van of stuff for charity and other giveaways but they'd done the bulk of the sorting before I got there.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Other/Fluid
« Reply #5696 on: January 05, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
A sculpture that I didn't display because it reminded me (and DH) of a previous bad relationship, but was also too beautiful to throw away. So it sat in the garage for YEARS. Finally, I dragged it out--it weighed a ton--and SMASHED it with a sledgehammer.
GONE!!!

haha! That was not how I was expecting that story to end. Well done! I bet that felt cathartic :)

Does anyone remember how I had my first paid decluttering gig? It was this week and I said I'd report back..  Well it was good but a little disappointing - I thought it would be a bit more like extreme hoarders but their place is probably no more cluttered than mine :) I helped clear out about 1cubic metre van of stuff for charity and other giveaways but they'd done the bulk of the sorting before I got there.

Oooh. Cool! Did you just help with lifting stuff in to their van? Or did you help with some of the 'do I keep? do I donate? do I throw this out?' decision making?

And maybe the biggest help to them was the deadline of you showing up. (maybe a bit like how some people who have a regular cleaner tidy up before the cleaner arrives?)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5697 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »

I can understand that.

A lot of us clear the easy clutter first.

It’s only after stripping back several layers that many of us get to the hard stuff, the clutter with emotional connections, and I think that would be easier with an objective second opinion.

Client: But ... they hung in my childhood bedroom for years!
You: They’re moth-eaten orange curtains. Time to go!

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #5698 on: January 05, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »
The only thing I really regret from the list are the various glasses that we got.

Tell me about it! I got married really young and registered for things because that’s what you did and OF COURSE I thought I “needed” a dozen of each red wine, white wine, and fancy water glasses plus four champagne flutes as well. I think these were $20-$30 per glass at the time. Good grief, what a waste. I don’t even care for wine! And guess which wine glasses I use when we have guests (still pretty rarely)? A cheap set (that were a gift). The rest just sit there in the cabinet behind the glass doors, unused. So dumb. Here’s hoping smaller wine glasses come back into favour - maybe someone will want them. Glassware regrets...

This weekend begins the basement storage purge/reorganize, so I should have some positive progress to report by Sunday:)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5699 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:34 AM »
Small things. I threw out the box where a iPad was delivered in. As we don't plan to sell the iPad I don't see the point of storing the box in a cupboard as my DH had done.

Threw away the old calender.

@Linda_Norway - I go through this with my husband all the time. He wants to keep the boxes forEVER. I used to argue about it, but decided life was too short. I let him keep them for a while and then put them in the recycling once or twice a year.

He has difficulty letting go of things he sees as having use or utility. I have difficulty keeping things I see as clutter.  :-)
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton