Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1199554 times)

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5600 on: December 09, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »
Got a big pile ready to put in the car and take to Goodwill. Also working on finding appropriate boxes for some light fixtures so I can put them on ebay and attempt to sell.

Also got the Christmas presents wrapped up. Need to box up 2 of them and ship out, drop off some at the recipient's house near me, and the rest are being sent home with my mom. But it will be nice to get those out of the house too.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5601 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:02 AM »
Went through three of the boxes that I had been dumping stuff into for years as it was loosely associated with flower arranging or decoration making.  Now there is one much smaller box and all the dust and random garbage that made even opening these boxes unappealing is properly sorted into the correct bins.  All the mixes materials are broken down so they can be recycled or composted and the remainder to the dump.  This is one zone that I have been postponing for ever.

Hubs went through a box of work out gear that smelled beyond awful.  It had been hanging out in the garage.  Much of that went to the correct bins.

We are getting to a point where we can see how our pack rat habits have caused us to not be able to properly take care of our stuff.  This is really helping me not to want to buy stuff.  Being wasteful by not looking after things hits harder than be wasteful about spending money that I should be saving. 
Seeing the possibilities

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5602 on: December 10, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »

Well done, everybody!  It feels great to be letting go of things while I see these advertisements urging me to fill my house with more things. 
  I
Finally received a bag from ThredUp (which I ordered back in October).  Itís a huge bag and I filled it almost all the way up.  That will be dropped at the UPS store tomorrow.

Additionally, one whole bag of other items went to Goodwill today.

I culled my Christmas decor down to one Christmas tree, one wreath, and two Rubbermaid bins of decor.  The remainder (two full Rubbermaid bins and small tree) went to someone at work who needed decor for a military family day.  Now itís going to someone else she knows who needs it for a military ball of some sort.  I love to see my old stuff put to good use and to know that they didnít have to buy any new decorations.

I paid someone to dispose of my giant peeling sofa today and it was worth every penny and is out of my house!  Hurray!

Brought several items to my parents who wanted and can use them: Patio string lights, bird feeder, etc.  They are redoing their patio and the items will all be put to good use!

Only a few items remain before I move!  So relieved at my progress.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5603 on: December 10, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Chucked an old eye shadow & makeup brush that have been lingering in the back of one of my drawers forever. Told myself when we moved (last winter), that if I hadn't worn it in 2017, it was going to the garbage. Close enough! Also, in my search for a couple of dressy work outfits for my trip last week, stumbled across a very nice dress that doesn't fit me properly. Put it aside in my donation pile.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5604 on: December 10, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
Another bag to charity (see earlier discussion, husband should not have brought this stuff home from a recent event).

A friend gave me a mug for Christmas - I'm donating it to the mug collection at work.

I've nearly finished writing Christmas cards. Once I'm done, the leftover cards can go into my normal card box. (Usually Christmas cards have their own box since I buy them on sale and stash them for a year. Not doing that next year.)

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5605 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »
The basement is looking pretty good - but there is a pile accumulating in the garage again.
I am going to have to drop out of decluttering for a spell while I pull off Christmas. Although using up the odd ingredients in the pantry for those once a year recipes will actually help out the pantry clutter.
Seeing the possibilities

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #5606 on: December 11, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »
Dropped off some Books, CDs, and clothes to Savers this weekend. DH is getting on board. He sold his car (the extra one that's been sitting in the Driveway) and teased me that he has therefore cleared out more space than me. So now this is turning into a fun competition for us. Though he is at an unfair advantage since he has so much more stuff than me. I never met a guy with more clothes in my life. He has like 3 dressers full and can never find anything to wear.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5607 on: December 11, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »
Well, I should have known better.  I was on a trek to find a pair of hiking boots and a pair of work boots that were last used last winter.  Our basement is full of bins and plastic bags of clothes packed away for the next appropriate season.  In the process of working through these, I put things that we would obviously never use again (pants too small for either of the kids....onesies.....our youngest is 17....shoes the kids long outgrew).  I should have kept these donation bags in the basement where they wouldn't be seen, but I felt they were so obvious that they should just go.  So 3 garbage bags full near the door and the wife says "So these are for me to look through".  AAAAAARGH!!!  If I were to hand my wife 3 onesies, it would take her literally a month to decide that these should be donated away.  So now we have 3 huge bags sitting in the bedroom next to the plastic bins of crap that I already earmarked for trash that have been there for 3 months now.  Yes, my wife is the hoarder wannabe.  Well, back to the basement and I've learned my lesson.  Wait till I'm alone at home, then bring bags out to the trunk of my car.

On the bright side, I put up 2 pairs of xc skiis and 3 pairs of downhill skiis with poles and some tennis rackets and a ski bag with a "take it all" price for craigslist of $25 and have a buyer who just needs me to be home for him to come get it all.  That'll be a nice unloading of crap that hasn't been used since at least the early 80's.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:49:15 AM by Car Jack »

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5608 on: December 11, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
Car Jack - it's the story of my life in reverse! DH is the hoarder.  I used to take things over to the neighbor's until collection. Sadly, that neighbor moved. I now have to put them in the garage attic until trash day....and then hope he leaves before they collect the trash. ;-)

Today I unloaded a mini air hockey table that sat under our pool table for years.  Yay!

The car is loaded up with a charity run and set of returns for my daily shopping run.  I have a back seat full of American Girl dolls to go to a family cousin for xmas.  In 15 minute increments I am getting through things.

Each weekend I ask the family to go through stuff in the basement - each weekend they don't, I throw away a bag of goods I deem trash/give away a bag of goods I've reviewed as being charity items the following week.  Petty, but I wonder when they are going to figure out my MO. I'm at the point where I want to hire some moving guys to move things around where I want them to be.  I wonder if they'd notice then?
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5609 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
We keep all of our clothes (and a whole bunch of ther stuff in a big cabinet/wardrobe thingy.  I reorganized my drawers and designated one for dirty laundry. We'll see how it works.  Hopefully it means no more pile in the corner but we'll still have then pile of stuff to be reworn on the side table.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/makedo/  or weíll laugh about this later

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5610 on: December 11, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
We keep all of our clothes (and a whole bunch of ther stuff in a big cabinet/wardrobe thingy.  I reorganized my drawers and designated one for dirty laundry. We'll see how it works.  Hopefully it means no more pile in the corner but we'll still have then pile of stuff to be reworn on the side table.

I don't think it's good for dirty laundry to be in a drawer. Not enough air circulation-and it might make the clean clothes smelly.
2 thumbs up for organizing things!!!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5611 on: December 11, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

I don't think it's good for dirty laundry to be in a drawer. Not enough air circulation-and it might make the clean clothes smelly.
2 thumbs up for organizing things!!!

Yeah.  Considered that.  It isn't a tight cupboard. Definitely as much airflow as a wicker hamper. Gym clothes are stored separately anyway, so will try this and see how it goes.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/makedo/  or weíll laugh about this later

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5612 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »
Found four bottles of super old nail polish while digging out the thermometer for a sick kiddo. Threw those away. We got rid of A LOT with both of our moves, so we don't have a ton of extra stuff, and I try to stay on top of it every day. However, in 2018, my plan is to go room by room again, & ensure we're using everything.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5613 on: December 12, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
MaybeBabyM, how are you going to track that you're actually using all of those things?  I'm very interested in systems for things like that.

This weekend I found the collector book for the American state quarters.  I remember sorting through my change looking for new quarters when these were first released.  WHY did I (or any of us) care so much?  So much wasted effort.  My son spent half an hour reclaiming the quarters (they went straight into his piggy bank) and then threw the book away. 

The children have started to comment on the fact that the surfaces are emptier...except that every surface I clean off my H then fills with electronics parts.   They want the electronics to go away.  :) 

Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5614 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
MaybeBabyM, how are you going to track that you're actually using all of those things?  I'm very interested in systems for things like that.

This weekend I found the collector book for the American state quarters.  I remember sorting through my change looking for new quarters when these were first released.  WHY did I (or any of us) care so much?  So much wasted effort.  My son spent half an hour reclaiming the quarters (they went straight into his piggy bank) and then threw the book away. 

The children have started to comment on the fact that the surfaces are emptier...except that every surface I clean off my H then fills with electronics parts.   They want the electronics to go away.  :)

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser.

I guess with everything else it's just memory based. Maybe put things you think you don't use or need in a box and everything that's still in the box after a set amount of time gets donated.

I also had the quarter thing many years ago. I'm pretty sure I eventually took the quarters out because I realized it was ridiculous.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5615 on: December 12, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser.

I guess with everything else it's just memory based. Maybe put things you think you don't use or need in a box and everything that's still in the box after a set amount of time gets donated.

I also had the quarter thing many years ago. I'm pretty sure I eventually took the quarters out because I realized it was ridiculous.

We've moved 2x in the last four years, so the easy wins are out of the way. We're left with the somewhat regular upkeep stuff:

-Clothes people have torn or outgrown (hopefully the kids on the latter, but sometimes I get realistic with my own size)
-Trash, homework, & general school stuff that finds its way home, and into the kids rooms
-Toys/games that the kids no longer play with. We're really in the home stretch with this one, but expect that upcoming Christmas & birthdays will bring a new round of options.
-Seasonal decorations & general house stuff that we just don't use. We've greatly simplified our holiday decor. I tend to travel a lot for work over the holidays (and we don't spend Christmas at home), so it's just a pain to get everything back up & down again

For everything else, I like to deep clean the rooms, which leads me to finding random things I've forgotten about & just haven't used in a while.

I do try & keep an inventory of things like: toiletries, cleaning products, plus our food (pantry, fridge, freezer), as keeping a regular rotation on that prevents waste. But, for everything else, I integrate the de-cluttering into my standard cleaning processes, and then with the kids rooms, just do quarterly full clean outs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5616 on: December 12, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser...

Free up one drawer.

As you wear something, put it in that drawer.

Continue until you have drawers of things you wear and drawers of things you don't wear (label if necessary). Donate.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5617 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »
I am deep cleaning my home this week in preparation for a large holiday party this weekend.

Having less stuff this year certainly makes a large difference in the time it takes -- I am focusing on cleaning and minor maintenance, not on finding a place to put "stuff".   Even the "stuff" I have taken down to make room for holiday decor is easy to put away -- open a drawer and it is empty!  Put away.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5618 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
No Rant Wednesday for me today :D.

The Craigslist guy and I worked out last night as a workable common time and he came and for $25 took away 3 pairs of late 70's downhill skis, 2 pairs of xc skis, a gaggle of ski poles and 3 random tennis rackets.  This is a great clean up win for me.  I haven't ski'd since at least the 80's (a knee injury had me stop then) and I think I only kept this stuff because it was top of the line, expensive stuff when I bought it.....even on my barely out of high school earnings working at the ski shop.

Time to look for the next craigslist listing.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5619 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
11 propane canisters of varying states of fullness (2 for sure new) were donated to our local scout master. They camp even in winter, so this should help.

Our 3rd car is now barely parked in the 3rd car garage for winter.  The first real snow is expected today.  Avoiding a morning idle and snow clearing each morning of winter more than offsets the cost of the canisters.  Our neighbors will be happy not to have to look at our 2005 Honda minivan with the rear end dented any longer. ;-) Yes, the third car is wasteful, but all the cars are paid off and 5 years, 9 years, and 12 years old respectively.  Baby steps.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5620 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »
This is different decluttering, but I think it counts? It's certainly less in the closet! I've got around a dozen gallons of paint sitting in the closet since I'm planning on painting the entire house. I've been painting this week.

Emptied 2 quart cans and 1 gallon of paint, those are dried and put out in the garbage.
1/2 gallon of paint left of one color, will be used when I find a painter to do the hallway. (I'm not falling down the stairs.)
Got another gallon down to about 1/4 full, and that will be used up with the 2nd coat on the closets. Granted, the house looks awful because I've completely emptied and disassembled 2 closets and stuff is all over, but it's temporary. No idea how much woodwork paint I have, but I'll use it up and need more once I get around to doing all the wood work and 4 doors.

In other news, you should periodically paint closets. More than every 30 years at least. House is about 100 years old, and it looks like 2, maybe 3 coats of paint in the closets. I wouldn't be surprised if the closets were last painted in the 50s, the colors are about right for then. The closets are soaking up 2-3 times the amount of paint as is typical. Luckily, I started with 4 gallons of paint I can use for them, and I might use just about all of it.

Even better, I have friends who are teachers, and one of them hooked me up with the local drama teacher. They love getting paint. Whatever is left that I don't want to save for future I can easily donate.

Since I pulled everything out of the closets to paint, when I put it back I can be more organized, and also get rid of a few things. I just moved earlier this year, so they're not too bad, but one of these closets is also the main long term storage area in the house. It will be full, but I'll pick away at a few things.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5621 on: December 16, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Gave three jars to a friend for candles.

I can't bring myself to throw away or recycle "good" jars, so this makes me happy.

Enlisted another cute jar in putting together a Christmas present, and using up my stash of cloth and satin ribbons on gifts.

Fuerchtegott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5622 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »
Received yesterday an umbrella from a supplier as a Christmas gift.

3 hours later a friend visited me and I asked him if he needs this umbrella. He took it.

Fasted stuff giving ever.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T819 mit Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5623 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
As a combo "odd chore of the day" & cleaning out clutter, finally organized our three tiered tray. It's where everything that can't be immediately thrown away or recycled goes. And, I stay on top of it pretty well, but every few months, it needs a deep clean. Took care of that yesterday, & there are just a few things remaining in the pile. Woohoo!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #5624 on: December 17, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
I decluttered the bathroom cabinets today.  I had several empty containers in there, thinking I'd use them someday to make my own lotions and things.  Spoiler alert: that never happened.

Also went through my side of the garage and cleaned up.  Some empty plastic bins are going out to the shed, and some things from my job are headed back to the office.  Now I need to go through all my extra saddle pads and take the ones I no longer want to the stable to give away.  Feels nice to be able to see the top of the work bench again.

A couple of the plastic bins from the garage turned out to be perfectly sized for storing canning and brewing supplies in the laundry room, and resulted in way more space and less clutter in those cabinets.

My husband has been out of town, but is getting assigned to declutter some of his zones when he gets back.  I've spent too much time this week swearing at him under my breath for his little trash heaps.  Because he doesn't clean his trash heaps, he starts encroaching on other areas in the house even though he has tons of space that I've agreed to turn a blind eye towards.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5625 on: December 17, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Another can of paint empty, just waiting for it to dry out and I can toss it!

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5626 on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
We've been renovating the basement.  Today we tossed 3 garbage bags full of debris, plus burned a good sized pile of scrap wood, all oak pieces and non-treated pine.  There are still 3 more bags of debris to go at least, but I can park in the garage again after a 3 week push to finish the basement floors and cabinets.  It's looking good!

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5627 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I went through a couple more boxes in the garage and got rid of a few things.  Good bye non-functioning Christmas lights, some building supplies and one box of total junk are now sorted into the right disposal stream.  The tarps are now stored.  The garden tools are hung up.  The hoses are rolled up and in one location.  The empty bins are washed out and stacked.  I have now emptied six bins so next summer I can go one more pass through all the zones and purge another round. One of the bins contained some really good clothing for tiny girls so I am now washing them and will give them to nieces this week.  If nieces don't want I will try and sell on kijiji. 
I sorted through the mess in the closet under the stairs and while most of it is still there - there is some logic to it and all of the spare house parts are now together on one side.  The Christmas decorations are all on the tree and the broken bits of junk are broken up and sorted into the correct waste stream. 
A number of items from the freezer are now used up.
Hubs returned some purchases we didn't use and that freed up a large space on the work bench.
A large pile awaits the restore and a dump run. 
The house is looking better and better.  And the garage is looking way better as well.  It feels totally amazing to deal with this stuff.  Most of the stuff is not stuff we bought. We found it, or accepted it as hand-me-downs or it was gifts.  This sense of scarcity that I have has really made me feel weighed down with all these acquisitions that I can no longer manage.
Seeing the possibilities

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5628 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
-Got rid of a holiday shirt that was too small. (Donated)
-Donated a pair of ski boots that no longer fit

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5629 on: December 18, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »
So we have this site here where people post odd jobs and I bid for them. I just scored my first decluttering gig, v excited! I love love love sorting out shit.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5630 on: December 18, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
So we have this site here where people post odd jobs and I bid for them. I just scored my first decluttering gig, v excited! I love love love sorting out shit.

Ooooh. That sounds really interesting! Please let us know how it goes! (in as much detail as you're comfortable with)

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5631 on: December 18, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »

Ooooh. That sounds really interesting! Please let us know how it goes! (in as much detail as you're comfortable with)

Will do! I'm on holiday for a week after Chrimbo so good way to spend time. Hope client's got aircon tho.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5632 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
Well done, everyone!   I feel like the constant barrage of holiday advertisements is motivating me even more.

Sold my patio set on CraigsList!  The couple who came to get it were so excited. 

Took a large load of stuff plus a crappy old office chair to Goodwill.  Further purged my drinkware collection. 

Replaced my crappy old office chair with a VERY nice used office chair I got for $30.

Completely emptied a small storage closet since we wonít have a storage closet at the new apartment.

Also deep-cleaned my stove and oven so it will hopefully only need a wipe-down when we move in a couple of weeks.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #5633 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »
Another weekend of dropping stuff off at Savers. I can't wait for the day when I feel like I couldn't possible give away any more as everything left brings me joy and fulfills my life. I think I'm quite a while away from that day though ;)

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5634 on: December 18, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
My son put up the Christmas tree and out of 4 strings of lights, an LED string works, one other string, 1/4 of the lights work, 2 others, no lights.  I'm not spending 10 hours figuring out which one bulb doesn't work.  Out to the garage with wire cutters.  I recycle (sell) wire periodically so cut off the lights and plugs and saved the wire.  More clutter gone!

The wife actually pitched in!  I found a plastic bin of saved articles from her last work in an HMO.  Everything is now easily found on the web (she left the job 17 years ago).  It's all become starter paper for our wood burning furnace. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5635 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
- Donated three purses that I never use
- Also donated three pairs of shoes. I have all these high heels that I never wear!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5636 on: December 19, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Yay for Christmas procrastinators - I've finally managed to sell a bunch of my daughters' doll furniture and clothes.  The girls are $145 richer, and that's way less stuff in my house.  They've agreed that anything that doesn't sell by December 23rd can be donated.  I set the same rule with H - he has a stack of broken Christmas stuff that he said he would fix; if it isn't ready by Christmas Eve, it's going to be recycled or thrown away.

We are planning to take yet another full carload of donations to Goodwill on Thursday.  Second passes in most of the rooms we've already tackled revealed even more stuff no one wants. 

In a marriage-saving effort, H and I have started tackling the (nice, huge, climate-controlled, walk-in) attic.  My goal is to get everything out of there except Christmas decorations and his electronics crap.  That way I can get to the stuff I need without having to climb over the crap, and he can store all the electronics crap without me yelling at him.  Win-win!  We've given away a lot and relocated some stuff to now-empty areas in other parts of the house. 

My son (8) finished KonMari-ing his room. Over the weekend, for the first time in months, he closed himself in his room and happily played with his toys for hours.  Not a peep of "I'm bored".  This stuff really works.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #5637 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Decluttering is infectious; today I decluttered worn-out dry erase pens from the conference room during a boring conference call.  No more trying three pens before finding one that works properly.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5638 on: December 19, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Decluttering is infectious; today I decluttered worn-out dry erase pens from the conference room during a boring conference call.  No more trying three pens before finding one that works properly.

Will you please come to my office and do that? 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #5639 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
I'm hanging out at my moms for a few months while I'm visiting family and have been helping out around the house while I'm here, trying to make her life a little easier. My mom has zero interest in decluttering but we tease each other about it. She laughs and tells me about it every time she throws something out!

Her fridge is packed full of all sorts of condiments, sauces, dressings, etc. I cleaned out a couple things with mold, and sorted out the rest so I knew what was there. We are playing a little game now where we pick one condiment in the fridge then look up a new dinner recipe we can make to use it up. So far we are 5 days in and have finished up 8 different containers. Soon there will be room in the fridge!

PS. Also I'm enjoying the little game of discovering recipes and hanging out with my mom so much!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:32:31 PM by Cookie78 »

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5640 on: December 20, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »
Had piles of empty boxes from all sorts of stuff (ALdi's to furniture) that I have been tossing to the side in the garage. Well with winter coming I finally cut them up into small enough pieces to get them in our big recycle bin. This was like 30 boxes and if there not cut small enough they wont take them. Got them all in the bin and there gone!! Garage looks so spacious !
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5641 on: December 22, 2017, 04:53:30 AM »
Set timer in DD's room for 15 minutes. One bag of trash and a full laundry basket of things to relocate. Preteen girls....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5642 on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
I'm hanging out at my moms for a few months while I'm visiting family and have been helping out around the house while I'm here, trying to make her life a little easier. My mom has zero interest in decluttering but we tease each other about it. She laughs and tells me about it every time she throws something out!

Her fridge is packed full of all sorts of condiments, sauces, dressings, etc. I cleaned out a couple things with mold, and sorted out the rest so I knew what was there. We are playing a little game now where we pick one condiment in the fridge then look up a new dinner recipe we can make to use it up. So far we are 5 days in and have finished up 8 different containers. Soon there will be room in the fridge!

PS. Also I'm enjoying the little game of discovering recipes and hanging out with my mom so much!

This sounds so lovely, and made me smile that you are turning it into a fun experience with your mom.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5643 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
Went through younger son's backpack, and we sorted out all of the paperwork, signed everything that needed to be returned, & recycled the remainder.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5644 on: December 24, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »

Now that is creative! And, wonderful that you get to spend time with your mother.
I love being outside.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5645 on: December 24, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Two years of conscious decluttering and I do have two regrets. I really wish I hadn't given away half of my nail polish collection, and I really wish I still had my soap making supplies. But mostly I'm glad to have less stuff

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5646 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I just started a new job, so of course don't have any PTO. Thus, I'm in the office. There's about 5 people here (out of 120ish)

My desk had a ton of stuff on/in it. I sorted through all of it, pulled out the binder clips, salvaged a notebook and couple binders, and stacked the rest. The paper shredding bin I'm required to use was almost full, so I filled it up and left the rest of the 2 foot tall stack of paper in the drawer. Once it gets emptied I'll be rid of the rest of it.

At home, gathering stuff up to make it all disappear. I plan to donate several things I got for Christmas, and have some shopping I need to do. I will happily take advantage of the post Christmas sales on things I need anyway.

iris lily

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5647 on: December 26, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
January is usually a time I declutter like mad.

We have put in an offer on another house, one that would act as a second home. That means all decluttering of useful items is stopped until we get that house and can move stuff there.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5648 on: December 26, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
I did a big declutter of the downstairs of my house ready for guests on Christmas Day.  My sitting room in particular is now looking splendidly decluttered and intentional.  Sadly nearly all of the detritus is just hiding upstairs behind the closed door of the spare bedroom.  I'm counting it as a win, though, because 1) there are a couple of black bags ready to go to the charity shop next time I'm in town, and 2) most of the rest is waiting to find its proper place when the house extension is finished (I will have a library to go along with the study: priorities, right?).  I just need to avoid any unintended guests in the meantime.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5649 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45:59 PM »
We have a small chest of drawers next to the front door. The bottom drawer is our 'to be filed' drawer. It was nearly full (ie about 5cm high stack of paper) because we hadn't done filing for about a year.

I run a lever-arch folder system. So we have about 5  or 6 folders for different categories, like finances, medical stuff, house stuff and so on. We tried to cull as we went. All got filed yesterday! Yay!

Then today my folder of old papers (that I unfortunately need to keep) was niggling at me. It covers some yuk periods of my life. I went through it more detail and only kept the essentials, and threw out a huge stack more of papers. Enough that we could consolidate 2 folders in one.

So: got rid of about 8 cm high stack of paper (either in recycling or in the compost if the document had sensitive info on it like bank details) and one lever-arch folder. Huzzah.