Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1314655 times)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5600 on: December 12, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
MaybeBabyM, how are you going to track that you're actually using all of those things?  I'm very interested in systems for things like that.

This weekend I found the collector book for the American state quarters.  I remember sorting through my change looking for new quarters when these were first released.  WHY did I (or any of us) care so much?  So much wasted effort.  My son spent half an hour reclaiming the quarters (they went straight into his piggy bank) and then threw the book away. 

The children have started to comment on the fact that the surfaces are emptier...except that every surface I clean off my H then fills with electronics parts.   They want the electronics to go away.  :) 

Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5601 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
MaybeBabyM, how are you going to track that you're actually using all of those things?  I'm very interested in systems for things like that.

This weekend I found the collector book for the American state quarters.  I remember sorting through my change looking for new quarters when these were first released.  WHY did I (or any of us) care so much?  So much wasted effort.  My son spent half an hour reclaiming the quarters (they went straight into his piggy bank) and then threw the book away. 

The children have started to comment on the fact that the surfaces are emptier...except that every surface I clean off my H then fills with electronics parts.   They want the electronics to go away.  :)

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser.

I guess with everything else it's just memory based. Maybe put things you think you don't use or need in a box and everything that's still in the box after a set amount of time gets donated.

I also had the quarter thing many years ago. I'm pretty sure I eventually took the quarters out because I realized it was ridiculous.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5602 on: December 12, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser.

I guess with everything else it's just memory based. Maybe put things you think you don't use or need in a box and everything that's still in the box after a set amount of time gets donated.

I also had the quarter thing many years ago. I'm pretty sure I eventually took the quarters out because I realized it was ridiculous.

We've moved 2x in the last four years, so the easy wins are out of the way. We're left with the somewhat regular upkeep stuff:

-Clothes people have torn or outgrown (hopefully the kids on the latter, but sometimes I get realistic with my own size)
-Trash, homework, & general school stuff that finds its way home, and into the kids rooms
-Toys/games that the kids no longer play with. We're really in the home stretch with this one, but expect that upcoming Christmas & birthdays will bring a new round of options.
-Seasonal decorations & general house stuff that we just don't use. We've greatly simplified our holiday decor. I tend to travel a lot for work over the holidays (and we don't spend Christmas at home), so it's just a pain to get everything back up & down again

For everything else, I like to deep clean the rooms, which leads me to finding random things I've forgotten about & just haven't used in a while.

I do try & keep an inventory of things like: toiletries, cleaning products, plus our food (pantry, fridge, freezer), as keeping a regular rotation on that prevents waste. But, for everything else, I integrate the de-cluttering into my standard cleaning processes, and then with the kids rooms, just do quarterly full clean outs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5603 on: December 12, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »

With clothes, you can do the hanger method where you hang everything one direction to start then turn the hanger opposite when you put it back in the closet after wearing and washing it. I don't use a dresser so not sure how you would handle clothes in a dresser...

Free up one drawer.

As you wear something, put it in that drawer.

Continue until you have drawers of things you wear and drawers of things you don't wear (label if necessary). Donate.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5604 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »
I am deep cleaning my home this week in preparation for a large holiday party this weekend.

Having less stuff this year certainly makes a large difference in the time it takes -- I am focusing on cleaning and minor maintenance, not on finding a place to put "stuff".   Even the "stuff" I have taken down to make room for holiday decor is easy to put away -- open a drawer and it is empty!  Put away.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5605 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
No Rant Wednesday for me today :D.

The Craigslist guy and I worked out last night as a workable common time and he came and for $25 took away 3 pairs of late 70's downhill skis, 2 pairs of xc skis, a gaggle of ski poles and 3 random tennis rackets.  This is a great clean up win for me.  I haven't ski'd since at least the 80's (a knee injury had me stop then) and I think I only kept this stuff because it was top of the line, expensive stuff when I bought it.....even on my barely out of high school earnings working at the ski shop.

Time to look for the next craigslist listing.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5606 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
11 propane canisters of varying states of fullness (2 for sure new) were donated to our local scout master. They camp even in winter, so this should help.

Our 3rd car is now barely parked in the 3rd car garage for winter.  The first real snow is expected today.  Avoiding a morning idle and snow clearing each morning of winter more than offsets the cost of the canisters.  Our neighbors will be happy not to have to look at our 2005 Honda minivan with the rear end dented any longer. ;-) Yes, the third car is wasteful, but all the cars are paid off and 5 years, 9 years, and 12 years old respectively.  Baby steps.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5607 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »
This is different decluttering, but I think it counts? It's certainly less in the closet! I've got around a dozen gallons of paint sitting in the closet since I'm planning on painting the entire house. I've been painting this week.

Emptied 2 quart cans and 1 gallon of paint, those are dried and put out in the garbage.
1/2 gallon of paint left of one color, will be used when I find a painter to do the hallway. (I'm not falling down the stairs.)
Got another gallon down to about 1/4 full, and that will be used up with the 2nd coat on the closets. Granted, the house looks awful because I've completely emptied and disassembled 2 closets and stuff is all over, but it's temporary. No idea how much woodwork paint I have, but I'll use it up and need more once I get around to doing all the wood work and 4 doors.

In other news, you should periodically paint closets. More than every 30 years at least. House is about 100 years old, and it looks like 2, maybe 3 coats of paint in the closets. I wouldn't be surprised if the closets were last painted in the 50s, the colors are about right for then. The closets are soaking up 2-3 times the amount of paint as is typical. Luckily, I started with 4 gallons of paint I can use for them, and I might use just about all of it.

Even better, I have friends who are teachers, and one of them hooked me up with the local drama teacher. They love getting paint. Whatever is left that I don't want to save for future I can easily donate.

Since I pulled everything out of the closets to paint, when I put it back I can be more organized, and also get rid of a few things. I just moved earlier this year, so they're not too bad, but one of these closets is also the main long term storage area in the house. It will be full, but I'll pick away at a few things.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5608 on: December 16, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Gave three jars to a friend for candles.

I can't bring myself to throw away or recycle "good" jars, so this makes me happy.

Enlisted another cute jar in putting together a Christmas present, and using up my stash of cloth and satin ribbons on gifts.

Fuerchtegott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5609 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »
Received yesterday an umbrella from a supplier as a Christmas gift.

3 hours later a friend visited me and I asked him if he needs this umbrella. He took it.

Fasted stuff giving ever.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T819 mit Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5610 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
As a combo "odd chore of the day" & cleaning out clutter, finally organized our three tiered tray. It's where everything that can't be immediately thrown away or recycled goes. And, I stay on top of it pretty well, but every few months, it needs a deep clean. Took care of that yesterday, & there are just a few things remaining in the pile. Woohoo!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #5611 on: December 17, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
I decluttered the bathroom cabinets today.  I had several empty containers in there, thinking I'd use them someday to make my own lotions and things.  Spoiler alert: that never happened.

Also went through my side of the garage and cleaned up.  Some empty plastic bins are going out to the shed, and some things from my job are headed back to the office.  Now I need to go through all my extra saddle pads and take the ones I no longer want to the stable to give away.  Feels nice to be able to see the top of the work bench again.

A couple of the plastic bins from the garage turned out to be perfectly sized for storing canning and brewing supplies in the laundry room, and resulted in way more space and less clutter in those cabinets.

My husband has been out of town, but is getting assigned to declutter some of his zones when he gets back.  I've spent too much time this week swearing at him under my breath for his little trash heaps.  Because he doesn't clean his trash heaps, he starts encroaching on other areas in the house even though he has tons of space that I've agreed to turn a blind eye towards.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5612 on: December 17, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Another can of paint empty, just waiting for it to dry out and I can toss it!

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5613 on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
We've been renovating the basement.  Today we tossed 3 garbage bags full of debris, plus burned a good sized pile of scrap wood, all oak pieces and non-treated pine.  There are still 3 more bags of debris to go at least, but I can park in the garage again after a 3 week push to finish the basement floors and cabinets.  It's looking good!

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5614 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I went through a couple more boxes in the garage and got rid of a few things.  Good bye non-functioning Christmas lights, some building supplies and one box of total junk are now sorted into the right disposal stream.  The tarps are now stored.  The garden tools are hung up.  The hoses are rolled up and in one location.  The empty bins are washed out and stacked.  I have now emptied six bins so next summer I can go one more pass through all the zones and purge another round. One of the bins contained some really good clothing for tiny girls so I am now washing them and will give them to nieces this week.  If nieces don't want I will try and sell on kijiji. 
I sorted through the mess in the closet under the stairs and while most of it is still there - there is some logic to it and all of the spare house parts are now together on one side.  The Christmas decorations are all on the tree and the broken bits of junk are broken up and sorted into the correct waste stream. 
A number of items from the freezer are now used up.
Hubs returned some purchases we didn't use and that freed up a large space on the work bench.
A large pile awaits the restore and a dump run. 
The house is looking better and better.  And the garage is looking way better as well.  It feels totally amazing to deal with this stuff.  Most of the stuff is not stuff we bought. We found it, or accepted it as hand-me-downs or it was gifts.  This sense of scarcity that I have has really made me feel weighed down with all these acquisitions that I can no longer manage.
Seeing the possibilities

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5615 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
-Got rid of a holiday shirt that was too small. (Donated)
-Donated a pair of ski boots that no longer fit

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5616 on: December 18, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »
So we have this site here where people post odd jobs and I bid for them. I just scored my first decluttering gig, v excited! I love love love sorting out shit.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5617 on: December 18, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
So we have this site here where people post odd jobs and I bid for them. I just scored my first decluttering gig, v excited! I love love love sorting out shit.

Ooooh. That sounds really interesting! Please let us know how it goes! (in as much detail as you're comfortable with)

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5618 on: December 18, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »

Ooooh. That sounds really interesting! Please let us know how it goes! (in as much detail as you're comfortable with)

Will do! I'm on holiday for a week after Chrimbo so good way to spend time. Hope client's got aircon tho.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5619 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
Well done, everyone!   I feel like the constant barrage of holiday advertisements is motivating me even more.

Sold my patio set on CraigsList!  The couple who came to get it were so excited. 

Took a large load of stuff plus a crappy old office chair to Goodwill.  Further purged my drinkware collection. 

Replaced my crappy old office chair with a VERY nice used office chair I got for $30.

Completely emptied a small storage closet since we wont have a storage closet at the new apartment.

Also deep-cleaned my stove and oven so it will hopefully only need a wipe-down when we move in a couple of weeks.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5620 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »
Another weekend of dropping stuff off at Savers. I can't wait for the day when I feel like I couldn't possible give away any more as everything left brings me joy and fulfills my life. I think I'm quite a while away from that day though ;)

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5621 on: December 18, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
My son put up the Christmas tree and out of 4 strings of lights, an LED string works, one other string, 1/4 of the lights work, 2 others, no lights.  I'm not spending 10 hours figuring out which one bulb doesn't work.  Out to the garage with wire cutters.  I recycle (sell) wire periodically so cut off the lights and plugs and saved the wire.  More clutter gone!

The wife actually pitched in!  I found a plastic bin of saved articles from her last work in an HMO.  Everything is now easily found on the web (she left the job 17 years ago).  It's all become starter paper for our wood burning furnace. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5622 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
- Donated three purses that I never use
- Also donated three pairs of shoes. I have all these high heels that I never wear!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5623 on: December 19, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Yay for Christmas procrastinators - I've finally managed to sell a bunch of my daughters' doll furniture and clothes.  The girls are $145 richer, and that's way less stuff in my house.  They've agreed that anything that doesn't sell by December 23rd can be donated.  I set the same rule with H - he has a stack of broken Christmas stuff that he said he would fix; if it isn't ready by Christmas Eve, it's going to be recycled or thrown away.

We are planning to take yet another full carload of donations to Goodwill on Thursday.  Second passes in most of the rooms we've already tackled revealed even more stuff no one wants. 

In a marriage-saving effort, H and I have started tackling the (nice, huge, climate-controlled, walk-in) attic.  My goal is to get everything out of there except Christmas decorations and his electronics crap.  That way I can get to the stuff I need without having to climb over the crap, and he can store all the electronics crap without me yelling at him.  Win-win!  We've given away a lot and relocated some stuff to now-empty areas in other parts of the house. 

My son (8) finished KonMari-ing his room. Over the weekend, for the first time in months, he closed himself in his room and happily played with his toys for hours.  Not a peep of "I'm bored".  This stuff really works.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #5624 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Decluttering is infectious; today I decluttered worn-out dry erase pens from the conference room during a boring conference call.  No more trying three pens before finding one that works properly.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5625 on: December 19, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Decluttering is infectious; today I decluttered worn-out dry erase pens from the conference room during a boring conference call.  No more trying three pens before finding one that works properly.

Will you please come to my office and do that? 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #5626 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
I'm hanging out at my moms for a few months while I'm visiting family and have been helping out around the house while I'm here, trying to make her life a little easier. My mom has zero interest in decluttering but we tease each other about it. She laughs and tells me about it every time she throws something out!

Her fridge is packed full of all sorts of condiments, sauces, dressings, etc. I cleaned out a couple things with mold, and sorted out the rest so I knew what was there. We are playing a little game now where we pick one condiment in the fridge then look up a new dinner recipe we can make to use it up. So far we are 5 days in and have finished up 8 different containers. Soon there will be room in the fridge!

PS. Also I'm enjoying the little game of discovering recipes and hanging out with my mom so much!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:32:31 PM by Cookie78 »

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5627 on: December 20, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »
Had piles of empty boxes from all sorts of stuff (ALdi's to furniture) that I have been tossing to the side in the garage. Well with winter coming I finally cut them up into small enough pieces to get them in our big recycle bin. This was like 30 boxes and if there not cut small enough they wont take them. Got them all in the bin and there gone!! Garage looks so spacious !
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5628 on: December 22, 2017, 04:53:30 AM »
Set timer in DD's room for 15 minutes. One bag of trash and a full laundry basket of things to relocate. Preteen girls....
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5629 on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
I'm hanging out at my moms for a few months while I'm visiting family and have been helping out around the house while I'm here, trying to make her life a little easier. My mom has zero interest in decluttering but we tease each other about it. She laughs and tells me about it every time she throws something out!

Her fridge is packed full of all sorts of condiments, sauces, dressings, etc. I cleaned out a couple things with mold, and sorted out the rest so I knew what was there. We are playing a little game now where we pick one condiment in the fridge then look up a new dinner recipe we can make to use it up. So far we are 5 days in and have finished up 8 different containers. Soon there will be room in the fridge!

PS. Also I'm enjoying the little game of discovering recipes and hanging out with my mom so much!

This sounds so lovely, and made me smile that you are turning it into a fun experience with your mom.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5630 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
Went through younger son's backpack, and we sorted out all of the paperwork, signed everything that needed to be returned, & recycled the remainder.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5631 on: December 24, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »

Now that is creative! And, wonderful that you get to spend time with your mother.
I love being outside.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5632 on: December 24, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Two years of conscious decluttering and I do have two regrets. I really wish I hadn't given away half of my nail polish collection, and I really wish I still had my soap making supplies. But mostly I'm glad to have less stuff

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5633 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I just started a new job, so of course don't have any PTO. Thus, I'm in the office. There's about 5 people here (out of 120ish)

My desk had a ton of stuff on/in it. I sorted through all of it, pulled out the binder clips, salvaged a notebook and couple binders, and stacked the rest. The paper shredding bin I'm required to use was almost full, so I filled it up and left the rest of the 2 foot tall stack of paper in the drawer. Once it gets emptied I'll be rid of the rest of it.

At home, gathering stuff up to make it all disappear. I plan to donate several things I got for Christmas, and have some shopping I need to do. I will happily take advantage of the post Christmas sales on things I need anyway.

iris lily

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5634 on: December 26, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
January is usually a time I declutter like mad.

We have put in an offer on another house, one that would act as a second home. That means all decluttering of useful items is stopped until we get that house and can move stuff there.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5635 on: December 26, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
I did a big declutter of the downstairs of my house ready for guests on Christmas Day.  My sitting room in particular is now looking splendidly decluttered and intentional.  Sadly nearly all of the detritus is just hiding upstairs behind the closed door of the spare bedroom.  I'm counting it as a win, though, because 1) there are a couple of black bags ready to go to the charity shop next time I'm in town, and 2) most of the rest is waiting to find its proper place when the house extension is finished (I will have a library to go along with the study: priorities, right?).  I just need to avoid any unintended guests in the meantime.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5636 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45:59 PM »
We have a small chest of drawers next to the front door. The bottom drawer is our 'to be filed' drawer. It was nearly full (ie about 5cm high stack of paper) because we hadn't done filing for about a year.

I run a lever-arch folder system. So we have about 5  or 6 folders for different categories, like finances, medical stuff, house stuff and so on. We tried to cull as we went. All got filed yesterday! Yay!

Then today my folder of old papers (that I unfortunately need to keep) was niggling at me. It covers some yuk periods of my life. I went through it more detail and only kept the essentials, and threw out a huge stack more of papers. Enough that we could consolidate 2 folders in one.

So: got rid of about 8 cm high stack of paper (either in recycling or in the compost if the document had sensitive info on it like bank details) and one lever-arch folder. Huzzah.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5637 on: December 27, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »
Congratulations, Astatine!  Sorting the filing cabinets is on my tentative list for this weekend.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5638 on: December 27, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
We have a vacation home, and I've already started going through some of the clothes left here (I leave a few items of clothing for each kid), making a big stack for donation. They've outgrown many of the items. Sadly, I too have outgrown some of my clothing and/or since we each only have a few things here, and line drying is harder in this house, the clothes are dried in the dryer much more frequently.

Every time we're here, my goal is to weed out the pantry/fridge/freezer from random things people leave behind, and go through our closets. Sounds like a good project for today, as I'm not feeling great.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5639 on: December 27, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
 I helped my son clear out some toys to make room for his Christmas presents. Two large black garbage bags going to charity. Another in the bin. A slightly smaller white garbage bag is in my room as he was unsure. I'm confident he won't want anything from it. This from a kid I had to work hard with not very long ago as he insisted on keeping actual rubbish. So proud of him.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5640 on: December 28, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
Cleaned out a giant toy bin/organizer. Made piles to donate, recycle or toss. Saved the very few toys people still play with, and then listed the empty organizer on Craigslist. No idea if this area has a robust enough Craigslist to get any action, but we'll see. If not, I'll have my sister bring it with her on her next trip & give it to the Goodwill.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5641 on: December 28, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Spent yesterday on the mending pile.  It only warmed to minus 11 C yesterday - but the wind was wickedly cold.  So dealing with the mending pile was a great excuse to not go outside.  Some of the stuff in the mending pile should have been in the rag pile all along.  And here I was dreading the mending pile. 
Seeing the possibilities

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5642 on: December 28, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
Finally tossed the broken ironing board and curtain rail.

Christmas presents - and bags of Christmas packing - are gone from spare room.

Went through my bedroom at my parents' place and put a few things in the donation bag.

Husband got some new socks for Christmas so I'll go through his sock drawer and toss a couple of pairs that are past it.

Jim Fiction

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5643 on: December 28, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Over the past few days I went through every article of clothing I own and got rid of several large boxes worth of stuff. The newfound drawer space will be used for the little one that my wife and I are expecting in June.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5644 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Today I put together a bag of clothes for charity and also filled about half a trash bag with items for recycling. We keep things pretty clutter-free around here, so I knew it was time when I started getting annoyed at full closets and drawers!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5645 on: December 28, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
I'm away on holiday but keeping up with this thread and itching to get back to cull more stuff. This time last year I was given the Marie Kondo book and began a massive purge. A year on, I'm ready to go back and get rid of clothes that I have not worn in the last year.

Also, we have friends staying at our place while we are away which meant we got a preview and discussion of what it would be like to Airbnb our place. We still are at levels of stuff where it would not be possible. And we just don't keep the place clean enough - it basically needed a massive & time consuming spring clean for our friends and would need to be a whole other level for Airbnb.

My focus areas are clothes, random stuff that I've been meaning to list on eBay, and the pantry.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5646 on: December 28, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
I just listed a dozen things on eBay that are the very definition of one man's trash...

The only thing stopping me from dropping them in the recycling bin was the idea that I might get a few bucks for them, so I finally photographed them and listed them.

At least now if they don't sell I can toss them guilt-free.

Actually, it's not just the possible cash. I do like to see things re-used rather than get tossed out.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5647 on: December 28, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
Back in my son's room today. Cleared surfaces of dresser and bedside table. Another small bag of rubbish gone. Plenty more rehomed. The surfaces are now visible.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5648 on: December 29, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Got rid of another box of papers and stuff from a job I left in 2001. The box included a bunch of awards in frames. I took the paper awards out of the frames. Now they take up much less room, and I have six or seven frames with glass suitable for photos (or donation).
I don't know what to do with the awards that are actual plaques mounted on wood. They have my name on them, so I don't feel comfortable just donating them.

At work, we're moving to a new office building. I dumped a ton of paper that would have filled 2 moving boxes (I work on hard copy a lot and paper tends to accumulate.) 

And a few more tchotchkes into the donation box. I love getting rid of stuff I don't even like.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5649 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
I made a great (and early!) start on my 2018 mission of sorting the basement office storage area. Ive decided to switch the office with the guest room, which is upstairs, since I plan to work more from home and rarely have overnight guests. Spent the morning blissfully making a diagram of each of the rooms, and arranging the little furniture cutouts Id made (to scale, of course - I may have missed my calling).

I decided to sell a dresser that would no longer fit in my new configuration, so checked kijiji to see what they were fetching vs. new (common IKEA dresser). I didnt even have to list it! Someone was searching for one and shes already come and picked it up for the price I wanted. I have some space back, $200 in my wallet and did not have to deal with a single flaky person.

"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban