Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 891789 times)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5100 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
The batch of clothes for consignment is finally in my car - I will bring it in at lunchtime.  What the store doesn't take will go straight to the donation pile which now includes an unused suitcase, a backpack and a bunch of clothes not suitable for consignment. 

I'm eagerly waiting for my daughter to get a job and move out so that she can take some stuff with her.  I have some kitchen items, towels, bed linens, etc. that she can use. 

The consignment store took all but 4 items, so I'm planning to pack these and other stuff I have for donation and bring them in this weekend.

Daughter is doing a second round of interviews today so fingers crossed for the job and the move!

Daughter got the job and will be moving in the next couple of weeks - as soon as she finds a place to live in the new city!  Which means I can finally either give stuff to her (whatever she wants and needs only - I'm not planning to burden her with my c**p!) or get rid of it.  Yay!!!

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5101 on: July 14, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
My messy closet has been nagging at me for about 2 years.

I finally forced myself to take 1 hour last weekend and clean it up.

1 Large garbage bag of clothes, 2 pairs of shoes, 1 suit, 1 suitcase to Goodwill.

Lots of recycling, shredding, and trash. (Why was I keep documents from two employers ago in my closet?!)

Feeling much better.

Next step is the basement....that will probably be a whole day affair.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5102 on: July 14, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Eporedia, cool story!! :)

One of my dream jobs is junk removal. So satisfying!!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5103 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »
I let go of three emotionally invested items today. It was hard to let go but it is going to go to a better place - I hope!

When Cadel Evans became the first Australian to win the Tour de France, I had spent that entire month of July watching him and urging him and screaming hoarsely to win and conquer the mountains as hours passed midnight here. When Cadel beat Contador, it was a sweet moment.

Anyhoo, the morning of his win, I went to the nearest BMC dealer here and bought the Team BMC Hincapie cycling jersey and cycling cap. I bought the same jersey he was wearing on the podium in Paris.

Years later, the jersey has remained unused, hung in my wardrobe not seeing sunlight; same with the cycling cap and same with the other cycling jersey. Tonight, my childhood friend had written a letter to my mother and she showed me photos of him and his son - the latter an avid cyclist who has won a couple of races and who liked BMC but wearing the knock-offs.

The BMC jersey is going to a better place.

I still have a BMC Jacket, not to mention my BMC bike. But those $200 cycling clothing items which I have rarely used will find better use elsewhere and hopefully appreciated by a better athlete.

It's time to let go of my piece of Cadel and a piece of that magical moment in July. Vale jersey - I will miss what you stood for but I never saw you. I'm going to be Buddhist and zen about this all....

2011 was an amazing race. Cadel won Stage 4 to Mur-de-Bretagne (out sprinting Contador up the hill). I remember a few things from this Tour - the summit finish at Plateau du Beille, crowd favourites Thor Hushovd and Thomas Voeckler holding yellow for a week each...

Stayed up for Stage 18, 19 and 20 - Andy Schleck gaining a minute on Cadel on the Col du Galibier, Pierre Rolland winning on Alp d'Huez (a stage in which they went the reverse route back over the Galibier, just for good measure). And then the final time trial in Grenoble.

In the second last straight before the line I don't think I'll ever forget Phil Liggett screaming out "and Cadel Evans is absolutely SLAUGHTERING them!!!"

What a race. This year is shaping up to be a good one too. Glad that it is not simply a Sky procession all the way to Paris. Fabio Aru is a cunning bastard :)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5104 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5105 on: July 15, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

Happy to help, and almost as happy as you are that it's gone!

Love that you can enjoy the space now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5106 on: July 15, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5107 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!

What would happen if you just gave it to goodwill?

And stop being nice to family.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5108 on: July 16, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
Maybe you can even skip a step, ask them to just "drop it off" in the back of your car ;)

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5109 on: July 16, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
Maybe you can even skip a step, ask them to just "drop it off" in the back of your car ;)

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5110 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
My MIL was a hoarder so when she asked me if I wanted anything I would say yes and then take it right to Goodwill. She never figured it out.  If I am getting rid of stuff that I think my kids might want I ask them first before I give it away.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #5111 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Another productive weekend...  The only big furniture left is the bed set and the TV stand/table.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Queen bed set
- TV stand/table

To be listed:
- LCD TV
- Box fan
- Table fan
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
<|> My Strava <|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5112 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5113 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).

Bracken Joy, I feel you on the bold.  In our first apartment, Mr. O and I had bought the same: only 1 piece of furniture which was the TV stand, and actually he had that from before we met.  So as a couple, we didn't buy anything.  I was so proud of that!

But once the house is set up, unless you come across a nicer coffee table or loveseat or whatever, there's no reason to accept those things any more. 

Can you tell your family something like: Now that we are all set up, the things you drop off here, they are not coming back to you.  If this is a gift, it has to be unconditional.  If you want it back, you better just keep it in the first place.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5114 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5115 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5116 on: July 18, 2017, 05:13:45 AM »
We are trying to finish/repurpose the remaining areas of the basement and are getting bogged down with all the furniture and stuff that we just keep packing away in basement for no particular reason.  I started going through it and got overwhelmed - at the soccer bin.  Four pairs of cleats that fit no one.  Six pairs of shin pads.  Now they are in the garage, along with a lot of other stuff.  Hubs and son were looking at the gear and saying things like: those are in great shape, only wore that half a season.  If I had done this in April, all the gear could have been donated to the club for their boot swap fundraiser.

My plan is to get the junk out of the basement to the garage.  September will roll around soon enough and parking in the garage becomes a priority for others - then garage gets cleared out.  Just trying to go through one bin at a time with stuff I should be dealing with and leaving other peoples stuff alone.
Seeing the possibilities

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5117 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

You wouldn't believe the arguments and yelling that have happened because my sister and I have told our mother, gently and nicely, that we won't be taking all the crap from her house.

So now, we get emails periodically that are "either of you want x?" and we usually respond with no thanks. However, she's nibbling around the edges and not addressing the elephants in the room. All because its FAMILYYYYYYYYYYYY stuff.

There may be a support thread eventually when they're forced to sell the house and move. Which will be fairly soon (5 years max) due to dad's dementia getting worse.