Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 987065 times)

Bird In Hand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5050 on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
I've started working with on thinning out my book collection.  I was getting pretty bogged down and discouraged because it was hard getting rid of certain books I haven't read yet.  I decided to compromise by reading through my backlog and discarding each one when I'm done -- possibly keeping some that I think I'll reread, but probably not.  This will kill two birds with one stone: I'll finally get through that backlog, and declutter my book collection at the same time.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5051 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Not directly related but experience while decluttering:

Super frustrated with one of the new apps that lists items for selling. I and posted a few phones and tablets and got 30+ hits within a few minutes - sadly almost all of them were scammers. I think I should just stick to Craigslist. I really wish Craigslist had an app interface to make the listing part easy. That is my roadblock :(

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5052 on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Two pairs of jeans sold for $40 so I will post those today.

And I've put some empty shoeboxes out for recycling.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5053 on: July 09, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
Yay, the bike is gone!  Of all the things I have gotten rid of, that one took up the most physical space...sooooo glad to reclaim that space!

The lady taking the yarn flaked, but we are trying to meet later this week.  I hope so!

Listed a camera for sale, hope that goes quickly like the bike did.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5054 on: July 09, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
19 nail polishes given away on buy nothing. I cleared out my collection last year to just 2 containers, but now decided to only have one. At least 5 of them were purchased in 2002. (Which is better than the blush from 1994 I threw away last year. It's the only blush I've ever owned. I still used it on rare occasion.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5055 on: July 09, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Finally gave away some homeschool textbooks that were below the grade of my youngest child.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5056 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:52 AM »
I've finally done the switch to my maternity wardrobe, and took the opportunity to throw away anything with holes in it or excessive wear. I also donated a few things that I don't like.

I did keep all my old ratty pajamas, because I figure they will be useful post partum, even as throw away ones if necessary. I've been putting off buying new nightwear for about 3 years, thinking I might get pregnant. I thought I'd buy myself all new stuff as a treat once the babies are here, but thinking it through I decided that wasn't stress I needed with newborns, so I'll use the ratty ones at first, and can use the 'new pajamas' reward as a reason to get out of the house in those early weeks.

Even just packing stuff away has made my house so much calmer. I'm loving the 'capsule' element of a pregnancy wardrobe. Most of it is hand-me-downs and not necessarily what I would have chosen. But the scarcity of choice is actually rather nice. I wonder if I'll get bored over the next few months? Will be interesting to see.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5057 on: July 10, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
Had a somewhat productive weekend where we got rid of some bigger furniture (finally!).  I want to get rid of everything so we can be somewhat nomadic in the next few months.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Coffee table
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Dining Table
- Multiple plate sets
- Kitchen appliances
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5058 on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »
I think I caught my parents at a weak moment - they admitted that there is no need for me to keep the giant Keurig coffee machine they gave us. I got rid of it so fast after that! We only keep coffee for company, and it has been unreliable lately anyways since we use it so little. So I also gave away the pods, the carosal for the pods, and the giant box from the storage room it came in. At the same time I took another big box to the donate centre and sold a huge box of hobby supplies. I put together more hobby items to sell, but the buyer was very selective. I almost put the left over items away again, but then realized I know some teens who need something to do this summer - so I instead I filled up the box again with even more stuff that I will give away to them.  It feels fantastic to be making this progress.  Thanks everyone for the continued reminders and stories on this thread.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5059 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
Watched a video about clutter --- does that count?! hhahahahah!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5060 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
The batch of clothes for consignment is finally in my car - I will bring it in at lunchtime.  What the store doesn't take will go straight to the donation pile which now includes an unused suitcase, a backpack and a bunch of clothes not suitable for consignment. 

I'm eagerly waiting for my daughter to get a job and move out so that she can take some stuff with her.  I have some kitchen items, towels, bed linens, etc. that she can use. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #5061 on: July 11, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I had such productive day yesterday.  I organized and decluttered.  I donated another bag of clothes and gave away a wall mirror to a relative.  The mirror was stored in my walk in closet so it wasn't really bothering me but I wasn't using it either so I finally decided to part with it.  It actually felt good to get some things out of the house. I even threw out some boxes from my fans and other things but some of my new small appliances boxes I kept for now.  I will be throwing them out eventually too.  I even organized my walk in closet and what a joy it is now to go in there. I still have too much stuff but for now, it will have to do. It is hard when you don't have a lot of room.  I would of continued for a few hours more because I was making some good progress but then my back did me in. 

I did a major declutter a couple of years back and felt so much lighter, I am ready to go through things again.

Can I ask what you folks do with collectibles if you had any?   I have lenox dolls, department 56 houses and other things. They are virtually worthless now but I cant bring myself to get rid of them just yet. 

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5062 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
I had such productive day yesterday.  I organized and decluttered.  I donated another bag of clothes and gave away a wall mirror to a relative.  The mirror was stored in my walk in closet so it wasn't really bothering me but I wasn't using it either so I finally decided to part with it.  It actually felt good to get some things out of the house. I even threw out some boxes from my fans and other things but some of my new small appliances boxes I kept for now.  I will be throwing them out eventually too.  I even organized my walk in closet and what a joy it is now to go in there. I still have too much stuff but for now, it will have to do. It is hard when you don't have a lot of room.  I would of continued for a few hours more because I was making some good progress but then my back did me in. 

I did a major declutter a couple of years back and felt so much lighter, I am ready to go through things again.

Can I ask what you folks do with collectibles if you had any?   I have lenox dolls, department 56 houses and other things. They are virtually worthless now but I cant bring myself to get rid of them just yet.

I don't have collectibles, but I have hobby tools & supplies.  I have offered them for free first to other hobbyists I know.  After that, I post them to either Craigslist or Facebook (a group similar to Buy Nothing) for free. 

If you can do "porch pick up", that is easiest.  I live in a gated community and so try to meet folks at the nearest coffee shop at a mutually convenient time for the hand off.  It's quite a bit more hassle, but I want to know that folks are going to appreciate what they are getting.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5063 on: July 11, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »

I don't have collectibles, but I have hobby tools & supplies.  I have offered them for free first to other hobbyists I know.  After that, I post them to either Craigslist or Facebook (a group similar to Buy Nothing) for free. 

If you can do "porch pick up", that is easiest.  I live in a gated community and so try to meet folks at the nearest coffee shop at a mutually convenient time for the hand off.  It's quite a bit more hassle, but I want to know that folks are going to appreciate what they are getting.

We've done "porch pickup" at least a dozen times ($20 or under each) - no issues other than usual flakes not showing up using Craigslist.

Porch Pickup: "It's on the porch, here's the address, leave the $15 under the mat. Thanks!"
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5064 on: July 12, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
The batch of clothes for consignment is finally in my car - I will bring it in at lunchtime.  What the store doesn't take will go straight to the donation pile which now includes an unused suitcase, a backpack and a bunch of clothes not suitable for consignment. 

I'm eagerly waiting for my daughter to get a job and move out so that she can take some stuff with her.  I have some kitchen items, towels, bed linens, etc. that she can use. 

The consignment store took all but 4 items, so I'm planning to pack these and other stuff I have for donation and bring them in this weekend.

Daughter is doing a second round of interviews today so fingers crossed for the job and the move!

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5065 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
Yay!  Made it to the bank today & deposited $48.00 in coins.  Now my PJ drawer won't clank when I open it & scare the cat :)

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5066 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
I gave my collectible-Hummels etc to a husky rescue that will sell them on ebay. They are not worth much and it is a lot of work. I sold the really nice cabinet they were in.  I also gave them antique glassware that was worth about 20/piece. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving away something worth a fortune:))  It took me years to be able to do this. I had a nice collection of porcelain dolls which I gave away one by one when someone was asking for silent auction items. They were always thrilled to have them.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5067 on: July 13, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
Yay!  The lady & I *finally* connected & I gave her the rest of the yarn!  I am running out of things to get rid of...will have to change focus to combing through my belongings to find more.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5068 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
I've been posting on and off on this thread for ages. I'm still at it. Another 2 large garbage bags of clothes and car load of times off to donation....My house is finally looking a bit emptier , but still more to go.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5069 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
Another update...

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- shoe racks (3)
- Papasan (pending sale tomorrow!)

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Dining Table set w/ 6 chairs
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

Eporedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just a gal in NW WI
« Reply #5070 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »

We live in a old farm house (1950's) that has been in my husband family for a while. His grand uncle lived there, his great grandma and even his parents lived there for a few years. By the time we got married, my husband had removed most of the old furniture/stuff and the house was very nice, but he showed me the attic mess: all things from those generations past that his folks (even not living there anymore) did not want him to get rid of "you might need it". That was the last time we went up to the attic.

Well... Husband is replacing some windows for more efficient ones in the back and had to remove the attic window... when I got home from work, there was a huge pile of stuff in the back of the house, and more and more stuff flying out. Stuffed deer head, about 5-6 chairs, 2 mattresses (one with a sticker: manufactured date 1929). Bed frames, old farm clothes (mostly jeans) lots of odd pieces of clothes - possibly to make quilts(?) old tables, desks, blankets and tarps... boxes and boxes of crap. Old cans of coffee with nails inside (not even good nails).

We burned all the wood furniture/stuff. It was a big fire! He will be taking all the metal stuff to our local recycling services this weekend.

I just wanted to share with the group; I'm proud to see husband finally cleaning everything... and now that the attic is mostly cleaned, he will be adding/replacing the insulation too! Win-win!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5071 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »

The consignment store took all but 4 items, so I'm planning to pack these and other stuff I have for donation and bring them in this weekend.

Daughter is doing a second round of interviews today so fingers crossed for the job and the move!

Daughter got the job and will be moving in the next couple of weeks - as soon as she finds a place to live in the new city!  Which means I can finally either give stuff to her (whatever she wants and needs only - I'm not planning to burden her with my c**p!) or get rid of it.  Yay!!!

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5072 on: July 14, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
My messy closet has been nagging at me for about 2 years.

I finally forced myself to take 1 hour last weekend and clean it up.

1 Large garbage bag of clothes, 2 pairs of shoes, 1 suit, 1 suitcase to Goodwill.

Lots of recycling, shredding, and trash. (Why was I keep documents from two employers ago in my closet?!)

Feeling much better.

Next step is the basement....that will probably be a whole day affair.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5073 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »
I let go of three emotionally invested items today. It was hard to let go but it is going to go to a better place - I hope!

When Cadel Evans became the first Australian to win the Tour de France, I had spent that entire month of July watching him and urging him and screaming hoarsely to win and conquer the mountains as hours passed midnight here. When Cadel beat Contador, it was a sweet moment.

Anyhoo, the morning of his win, I went to the nearest BMC dealer here and bought the Team BMC Hincapie cycling jersey and cycling cap. I bought the same jersey he was wearing on the podium in Paris.

Years later, the jersey has remained unused, hung in my wardrobe not seeing sunlight; same with the cycling cap and same with the other cycling jersey. Tonight, my childhood friend had written a letter to my mother and she showed me photos of him and his son - the latter an avid cyclist who has won a couple of races and who liked BMC but wearing the knock-offs.

The BMC jersey is going to a better place.

I still have a BMC Jacket, not to mention my BMC bike. But those $200 cycling clothing items which I have rarely used will find better use elsewhere and hopefully appreciated by a better athlete.

It's time to let go of my piece of Cadel and a piece of that magical moment in July. Vale jersey - I will miss what you stood for but I never saw you. I'm going to be Buddhist and zen about this all....

2011 was an amazing race. Cadel won Stage 4 to Mur-de-Bretagne (out sprinting Contador up the hill). I remember a few things from this Tour - the summit finish at Plateau du Beille, crowd favourites Thor Hushovd and Thomas Voeckler holding yellow for a week each...

Stayed up for Stage 18, 19 and 20 - Andy Schleck gaining a minute on Cadel on the Col du Galibier, Pierre Rolland winning on Alp d'Huez (a stage in which they went the reverse route back over the Galibier, just for good measure). And then the final time trial in Grenoble.

In the second last straight before the line I don't think I'll ever forget Phil Liggett screaming out "and Cadel Evans is absolutely SLAUGHTERING them!!!"

What a race. This year is shaping up to be a good one too. Glad that it is not simply a Sky procession all the way to Paris. Fabio Aru is a cunning bastard :)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5074 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5075 on: July 15, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

Happy to help, and almost as happy as you are that it's gone!

Love that you can enjoy the space now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5076 on: July 15, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5077 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!

What would happen if you just gave it to goodwill?

And stop being nice to family.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5078 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
My MIL was a hoarder so when she asked me if I wanted anything I would say yes and then take it right to Goodwill. She never figured it out.  If I am getting rid of stuff that I think my kids might want I ask them first before I give it away.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5079 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Another productive weekend...  The only big furniture left is the bed set and the TV stand/table.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- shoe racks (3)
- Queen bed set
- TV stand/table

To be listed:
- LCD TV
- Box fan
- Table fan
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5080 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #5081 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).

Bracken Joy, I feel you on the bold.  In our first apartment, Mr. O and I had bought the same: only 1 piece of furniture which was the TV stand, and actually he had that from before we met.  So as a couple, we didn't buy anything.  I was so proud of that!

But once the house is set up, unless you come across a nicer coffee table or loveseat or whatever, there's no reason to accept those things any more. 

Can you tell your family something like: Now that we are all set up, the things you drop off here, they are not coming back to you.  If this is a gift, it has to be unconditional.  If you want it back, you better just keep it in the first place.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5082 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5083 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5084 on: July 18, 2017, 05:13:45 AM »
We are trying to finish/repurpose the remaining areas of the basement and are getting bogged down with all the furniture and stuff that we just keep packing away in basement for no particular reason.  I started going through it and got overwhelmed - at the soccer bin.  Four pairs of cleats that fit no one.  Six pairs of shin pads.  Now they are in the garage, along with a lot of other stuff.  Hubs and son were looking at the gear and saying things like: those are in great shape, only wore that half a season.  If I had done this in April, all the gear could have been donated to the club for their boot swap fundraiser.

My plan is to get the junk out of the basement to the garage.  September will roll around soon enough and parking in the garage becomes a priority for others - then garage gets cleared out.  Just trying to go through one bin at a time with stuff I should be dealing with and leaving other peoples stuff alone.
Seeing the possibilities

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5085 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »

Sigh. So it sounds like my solution probably shouldn't be to just gripe about it on the internet and do nothing until everyone dies of old age? *sigh*. You people and holding me accountable.

(Thank you for that. Seriously)

You wouldn't believe the arguments and yelling that have happened because my sister and I have told our mother, gently and nicely, that we won't be taking all the crap from her house.

So now, we get emails periodically that are "either of you want x?" and we usually respond with no thanks. However, she's nibbling around the edges and not addressing the elephants in the room. All because its FAMILYYYYYYYYYYYY stuff.

There may be a support thread eventually when they're forced to sell the house and move. Which will be fairly soon (5 years max) due to dad's dementia getting worse.

KBecks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5086 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
I'm cleaning out my youngest son's room that has been overtaken with toys so much that he can't really play with them.

A little progress. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #5087 on: July 21, 2017, 01:35:28 AM »
I went through our bathroom cupboard and drawers. Everything in there, we use! There were only a couple of small things to throw out. We might be able to move the hand towels or something back into that room!

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5088 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »
Does this count?  I made my teenagers tidy up the linen closet.  Nothing got thrown out but you can see everything and they might be less tempted to root around like piglets when they are looking for a beach towel.
Seeing the possibilities

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5089 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
Does this count?  I made my teenagers tidy up the linen closet.  Nothing got thrown out but you can see everything and they might be less tempted to root around like piglets when they are looking for a beach towel.

It counts. and, if you make them tidy the linen closet regularly, they're less likely to make a mess because they know they'll just have to clean it up!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5090 on: July 21, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Back on track! The recent move has made me realize how much stuff I still have and how much of it is pure sunk cost. My hope is to lighten the load before our next move in ten months.

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #5091 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
I'm going to spend this weekend decluttering!

It's amazing how much stuff you gather when you are two minimalistic, frugal adults who have never had any kind of hoarding tendencies. I think boyfriend's clothes might be the next thing. I don't have a lot of clothes (just enough to wear for a weak and a few special occasion outfits) but my boyfriend wears band shirts and those are hard to get rid of. I have heard of a lot of minimalistic men who can't get rid of their band shirts. I'm not asking him to get rid of his favourite shirts from his favourite bands, but as he's in a band he's traded t-shirts with other bands, received shirts from festivals they played at or he worked at, he even has shirts from bands he hates that he got for free from a store he used to work in. They used to give the shirts that no one bought (Coldplay) as freebies to the employees.  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

One problem of ours is that we don't have a car. When we have something to recycle, it sits in the hallway for a long time before we take it out to where it needs to go. We do everything by bike, including holidays, so there's no reason why we can't take the bag of glass bottles or the bag of old textile, but for some reason it doesn't happen. I have just dug five boxes of waste paper from our basement. It's just easier to dump it there than actually remember when collection day is (it's this Monday).

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5092 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Kudos on the decluttering push. Personally, I don't use age - the shorts I wore today are roughly 25 years old....

Decluttering roughly half of them last year is why I am actually wearing them instead of being stuffed in an overflow drawer that I don't need. Heck, I no longer even have that dresser - the whole thing went. Eventually.

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #5093 on: July 22, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Kudos on the decluttering push. Personally, I don't use age - the shorts I wore today are roughly 25 years old....

Decluttering roughly half of them last year is why I am actually wearing them instead of being stuffed in an overflow drawer that I don't need. Heck, I no longer even have that dresser - the whole thing went. Eventually.

That's exactly why I'm decluttering. We have a cupboard in our bedroom that we bought when we lived somewhere else. This house came with a built-in cupboard in our bedroom, so we don't need that extra cupboard anymore. I'm emptying the bedroom out now so I can paint it and I'm not willing to put that thing back.

We generally wear lots of old clothes too. Not 25 years old, as he's only 30 ;-) but he has a nice pair of Levi's jeans that I think he's worn for almost 15 years. I'm taking my winter coat to the dry cleaner's later today and it's also at least 10 years old. But if you keep buying new shirts, you need to throw out old shirts. I came across an old Hot Rod Helloween costume, so that's one thing we don't have to buy this year...

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5094 on: July 22, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »

That's exactly why I'm decluttering. We have a cupboard in our bedroom that we bought when we lived somewhere else. This house came with a built-in cupboard in our bedroom, so we don't need that extra cupboard anymore. I'm emptying the bedroom out now so I can paint it and I'm not willing to put that thing back.

We generally wear lots of old clothes too. Not 25 years old, as he's only 30 ;-) but he has a nice pair of Levi's jeans that I think he's worn for almost 15 years. I'm taking my winter coat to the dry cleaner's later today and it's also at least 10 years old. But if you keep buying new shirts, you need to throw out old shirts. I came across an old Hot Rod Helloween costume, so that's one thing we don't have to buy this year...

My mom is big on decluttering. Dad is a pack rat. However, between visits she almost always gets a few things pried out of his possession - typically clothing he can't fit into any more. I've inherited quite a few shirts, some socks and a GREAT vintage corduroy jacket that's older than I am. Gets worn every winter. But the stuff I won't wear I just thank them for and put in the box for Goodwill.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5095 on: July 22, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »

It's amazing how much stuff you gather when you are two minimalistic, frugal adults who have never had any kind of hoarding tendencies. I think boyfriend's clothes might be the next thing. I don't have a lot of clothes (just enough to wear for a weak and a few special occasion outfits) but my boyfriend wears band shirts and those are hard to get rid of. I have heard of a lot of minimalistic men who can't get rid of their band shirts. I'm not asking him to get rid of his favourite shirts from his favourite bands, but as he's in a band he's traded t-shirts with other bands, received shirts from festivals they played at or he worked at, he even has shirts from bands he hates that he got for free from a store he used to work in. They used to give the shirts that no one bought (Coldplay) as freebies to the employees.  I think he has at least 80 and he wears about 15 of them. Some don't even fit anymore and some are 15 years old.

Have you ever thought of making a tshirt quilt with the ones that do not fit? They are easy to do, and then you will have a useful quilt instead of drawers full of old, unworn shirts. You can also pay people to make them for you, but it is easy enough to do yourself. They can be done by hand, but if you have a sewing machine, or access to one, it is a snap.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #5096 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

Have you ever thought of making a tshirt quilt with the ones that do not fit? They are easy to do, and then you will have a useful quilt instead of drawers full of old, unworn shirts. You can also pay people to make them for you, but it is easy enough to do yourself. They can be done by hand, but if you have a sewing machine, or access to one, it is a snap.

I hadn't really thought of that, but that's an option too! I am actually a quilter and I've made several quilts from old jeans and I never thought about a band shirt quilt! As he's in a band, that might actually be a nice thing to take with him on the road.

I also went through our collection of winter gear and we have way too much scarves, many of them hand knit. My brother works for a charity supporting homeless people, so these are going to him. Maybe a good place for some of those band shirts as well, but as they get a lot of clothing he's going to check if t-shirts are what they need right now (limited storage space).

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5097 on: July 22, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
This counts as decluttering to me. I borrowed a pressure washer from a friend (was going to rent and got lucky) to try to get the paint off the garage. Failed on that, but succeeded in cleaning out the garage!

Took all 42 cans of paint up to the hazardous waste drop off, along with the bag of lightbulbs.
Got rid of the layer of dirt that was on the concrete (several inches in a couple places).
Large pile of misc junk dragged out to the trash, and posted a "free" on Craigslist in case anyone wants it. Various wood (no, I'm NOT saving all the scraps of wood, just in case. That's why there's a large pile out back right now)
Large bag filled with misc trash that was on the floor, walls, ceiling or wherever.
For the first time ever, got the garage door open! Yeah, I need to replace it, there's some pieces of metal actually holding the door together...
Posted the 8 ft ladder that was in the garage on craigslist. (I have other, better ones)
Posted the pile of firewood on craigslist
Posted the firepit or whatever it is on craigslist.
Powerwashed all the walls, ceilings, the doors, shelves, etc.

I forgot to take the tv up to the e-waste though, so that's still in the garage :(

And since everything is out of the garage, I can put it all back in an organized, neat fashion. Just debating when - the garage is pretty wet, so it would be best for it dry some before I put stuff back in.

There's more stuff in the garage that I'll need help getting down. Not sure what most of that is, but there's at least one piece of PVC. However, it's not in the way, so can wait.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5098 on: July 22, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
And since everything is out of the garage, I can put it all back in an organized, neat fashion. Just debating when - the garage is pretty wet, so it would be best for it dry some before I put stuff back in.

If you have ever wanted to epoxy the garage floor, this is the time!
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5099 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
Spent an hour on my pantry this morning.

Took everything out, wiped down the shelves, topped up my jars and canisters, updated some labels, and put a tin and a couple of jars without lids out for recycling.

My pantry looks gorgeous now. Twice I've gone and opened the door just to admire my handiwork. :)